Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[i + 1] years and counting ... / Shut up and code!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[i + 1] years and counting ... / Shut up and code!

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

i have a soft copy of "Learn Python the hard way" by Zed Shaw if you want, which was recommended to me by Tar a couple of years ago.

Comment

gl Hitch. Hope you have better luck finishing it than this

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 30-05-17, 08:12.

Comment

Comment

Wow... selenium
                      That takes me back to my testing days
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        So pretty much nothing done on this September-December. Just finished this short Excel VBA course in order to have a flavour of the language.

Kicking it all off again properly starting next week. Quite content with the 2017 progress though.
                                                        That's good timing.

I literally popped in to check whether you recommended any VBA course as I need it for the modelling class and I have no experience with it.
                                                        I was told that because I can write SQL I should pick it up relatively quick but I'm not sure how true that is.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 31-01-18, 00:51.

Comment

I've nothing to add except I like that title
                                                              I'm not even sure what python is for

Comment

Comment

I started the Applied Data Science with Python from Michigan this week and I hope to have the VBA done by next week.
                                                                  It's been suggested to make life easier to use them for 2 of the classes but you could struggle along with excel for both.
                                                                  The only disappointing part is that neither will be examinable but it'll simply make the project work easier.
                                                                  Semester 2 feels incredibly short, last week of classes finishes the 23rd of March

Comment

Comment

That's mad quick. What are you doing the dissertation on?
                                                                      I'm hoping something in the area of prospect theory and physiological response.
                                                                      They seem to think it's a good idea although it's a bit off topic so I'll know once the first draft of the research proposal is submitted.

I figure I'm not going to make any contribution in the area of finance by determining historical correlation of x stock etc plus it's not something that particularly interests me.
                                                                      I don't expect to make any particular contribution either way but I do think this topic has far more scope for (dare I say it) a PhD.

Everybody is going to try cryptos I'm sure or work with Brian on his IPO stuff (which probably makes the most sense tbf).

I'll send you a copy of the research proposal when it's completed and get your thoughts, I know behavioural is your area.

Comment

Hitch,

just a quick thing. What I have noticed in here is the python guys struggle with static offline data sources as python does the heavy lifting opening csvs etc.
                                                                        Use a proper DB engine as a data source and performance is markedly improved.
                                                                        I'm still level 0.1 in python but hoping to improve
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Any proper DB engine MSSQL for me anyway

Comment

#39
                                                                              ...

Comment

#40
                                                                                Thinking of making python part of my time doing courses

What would you advise to someone coming at it from a fado fado coding viewpoint not a financial one?

Ta

Comment

#41
                                                                                  ...

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Cheers!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      ...

Comment

#44
                                                                                        ...

Comment

#45
                                                                                          ...

Comment

#46
                                                                                            What path would you recommend?

Fundamentals, crafting quality code, datacamp, and then Michigan?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              ...

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Went to an into lecture for a data analytics course

*Tools will be pen paper calculator, Excel, SPSS and R(main lecturer doesn't know much Python)
                                                                                                *Highest marked project last year was a dashboard built in Excel
                                                                                                *There were a bunch of annoying older students asking a barrage of pointless questions

Strongly reconsidering my plan to give up several evenings a week to do it

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Google have made their machine learning course that most starting Googlers have to take available for free. I'd imagine it's quite good.
                                                                                                  ugh...I was busy today as well...

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    This is free until tomorrow
                                                                                                    "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" online course is free to sign up for the next few days with code SEP2020FREE

Highly recommended

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      This is free until tomorrow
                                                                                                      "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" online course is free to sign up for the next few days with code SEP2020FREE

Highly recommended
                                                                                                      Got a hard copy of his book with the same title just this week. Really don't need more resources at the moment, just need to get through the stuff!
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        ...

Comment

#53

Was that why you started using gooey. Must actually read that book properly - or do the course - as would actually like to automate the boring stuff.
                                                                                                          nah, happened across is on medium

It's a very clever solution to a problem that was taking up my time (supporting an inhouse web app I built)
                                                                                                          the app fixes problems in backend client data using common parameters via procs.
                                                                                                          I can give the app to the end users and they can fix their own issues.
                                                                                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-09-20, 09:03.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

nah, happened across is on medium

It's a very clever solution to a problem that was taking up my time (supporting an inhouse web app I built)
                                                                                                            the app fixes problems in backend client data using common parameters via procs.
                                                                                                            I can give the app to the end users and they can fix their own issues.
                                                                                                            I've got a mini fleet of these at the moment allowing users to do a host of data cleansing/Restful API clients/file generation/xml transformation/Pasword resets...etc type tasks.
                                                                                                            Saves me a lot of time on common spurious requests.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                            X