Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Race tonight, really pumped up for it, fitness isn't back to where it was yet although I still think I may be able to post a time I'd be happy with it.

Just a little torn though, I've gotten my best friend into running, there's three of us running it tonight, the other lad is a veteran but my mate is a little nervous, it's his first race.

On one hand I feel I should run it with him, stay with him (he's not that much slower, no more than 1min/k) but on the other hand I really want to go flat out. It's only my second time racing.

I'll have a chat with him later and see what he says I suppose.
    Good luck. Should be near perfect conditions. It'll be easy to stick together for the first kilometre until he crowd thins out but you'd both benefit from focusing on your own race after that.

My running activity today consists of sitting on the couch eating an easter egg and watching the London Marathon.

Comment

Awesome experience, chuffed to scrape a sub 50, 49:30.

Feel like I can smash that with time which feels good.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

49:38 to be exact, forgot I had trouble setting the watch for a bit after the start.

Comment

My mate did it in 52:14, I'm delighted for him, he didn't think he was capable of cracking 60. No issues at all with us both running our own races.

Comment

I see Kipchoge almost ran a sub 2hr marathon

Mind boggling.

Comment

Ran the Vancouver marathon today with very little training since last one in September. It was pretty rough throughout. 21km time was 1:41 but started to fade losing the 3:30 marker around 35km. Legs went then, just became extremely heavy and various pains so walked most of the remainder of finish in 4:01. Disappointed but it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                Ran the Vancouver marathon today with very little training since last one in September. It was pretty rough throughout. 21km time was 1:41 but started to fade losing the 3:30 marker around 35km. Legs went then, just became extremely heavy and various pains so walked most of the remainder of finish in 4:01. Disappointed but it's done.
                Well done.
                I don't see much to be disappointed with in that.
                Wouldn't you have been pleased with 3:59:59
                Walking at the end with the training you had done was to be expected.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                  I see Kipchoge almost ran a sub 2hr marathon

Mind boggling.
                  Can elaborate on this Nike sub-2 event.
                  I remember a link posted by Lazare (I think) that suggestion we were 50 years away from Sub 2mins. What Kipchoges time this weekend simply a massive outlier? Or was the drafters and pace car car and he rest really going to shave that much off the time?

Comment

The sub-2 attempt produced a mind-blowing time, but it was never going to be ratified as a World Record.

Some of the tactics/innovations included:

1/ Using a scheduled roster of approx 35 pacers, working in shifts.

2/ Pacers running in arrow-head formation and shielding the 3 main runners, saving energy.

3/ Using the Monza track, with no sharp corners or technical sections.

4/ Giving athletes drink/fuel via motorcycle.

5/ Using a car to help with pacing

6/ Using a very early morning start to avoid running in the heat

7/ Using a new shoe concept that may or may not be legal. Basically theres a stiff carbon fibre plate in the midsole, which may help with running economy, providing a "bounce" or "sling-shot" effect each stride. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/08/s...ment.html?_r=0

8/ A new Swedish carbohydtate based drink was used

It's difficult to image the Addidas project will not also go close.

Comment

The moped refuelling was a major part of it, runners didn't need to drop pace at all, you'd have to imagine this saving at least a minute.

That article I linked to suggested you would need absolute 100% optimal conditions, which were artificially created here.

Still some achievement, and I'd love a pair of those shoes, which is the point of the whole thing.

Comment

Back to some very easy jogging. 11 Sets of 100 stairs on Saturday, and 4 miles easy on road/sand Sunday, with a break for some stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                          Back to some very easy jogging. 11 Sets of 100 stairs on Saturday, and 4 miles easy on road/sand Sunday, with a break for some stretching.
                          I make that 8 weeks since you sprained your ankle, is that right?

I was hoping to try this week but it doesn't feel quite right yet and i keep saying maybe tomorrow.

Also 1100 stair steps that is like 50 floors of a building... Sounds like a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            I make that 8 weeks since you sprained your ankle, is that right?

I was hoping to try this week but it doesn't feel quite right yet and i keep saying maybe tomorrow.

Also 1100 stair steps that is like 50 floors of a building... Sounds like a lot

I started back on the treadmill @ 15 % gradient, walking pace, and then short spurts of jogging.

Stair running, controls/limits the range of motion of the foot. I just tend to pop up and down on my toes, from step to step, so the heel takes no major impact, and there is no major twisting involved.

Also you get a rest going back down after every set of stairs, and the feeling of being outside on your feet in the fresh air, which is healthy.

Comment

The moped refuelling was a major part of it, runners didn't need to drop pace at all, you'd have to imagine this saving at least a minute.

That article I linked to suggested you would need absolute 100% optimal conditions, which were artificially created here.

Still some achievement, and I'd love a pair of those shoes, which is the point of the whole thing.
                              One thing it specifically predicted was the use of teams in arrowhead formation to draft off of.
                              But in over for that to be viable it needs to become a pseudo-team sport like cycling. Nike and Adidas have temporarily made that financially viable.

The pace these guys are setting is really hard to get my head around. Breaking 3mins per km for every km.
                              I'm not sure if I could manage 1km in 3 mins if I was being chased

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                One thing it specifically predicted was the use of teams in arrowhead formation to draft off of.
                                But in over for that to be viable it needs to become a pseudo-team sport like cycling. Nike and Adidas have temporarily made that financially viable.

The pace these guys are setting is really hard to get my head around. Breaking 3mins per km for every km.
                                I'm not sure if I could manage 1km in 3 mins if I was being chased
                                13mph for 2 hours is absolute insanity, check this out...

Three of the world's finest distance runners are about to attempt one of the greatest feats of athleticism in history: a sub two-hour marathon. To do it, the...

Comment

I might give that threadmill test a shit later.
                                  I'd set under/over at 1min

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                    I might give that threadmill test a shit later.
                                    I'd set under/over at 1min
                                    Yeah, I'd love a go at it too. I believe at London a couple of weeks ago they had a giant treadmill set up at WR pace and if you lasted more than a minute on it you won a hat.

Crazy.

Comment

Had the treadmill set to 20.1 km/h, realized afterwards that WR pace is more like 20.6km.

Lasted 1m20s
                                      Only 2 hours, 1 min and 36 seconds to go

Comment

Did the Terenure 5 mile today. Great little race. 1,700 people but a flat, leafy route which thankfully today was sun-dappled.

Decided to stick with the 45min pacer to try and push myself and was very pleased with 43.42 on my tracker app.

Another 1.2 miles and i would have comfortable shattered my 10km PB and I think I could just about have kept that sub 9-min mile pace.

Lots to be said for racing to push yourself to pick up a good time. If i had done that on my own i'd have been around the 48-49 min mark today.

Comment

Nice one Benny, really wanted to race that one but had a family thing on. Great time, it really is amazing how faster you can run in a race setting.

Comment

21:05 this morning. So close to 20:xx but delighted with time. Went back through my personal log and that's actually my second fastest time ever on a treadmill. Did 20:53 this time last year but I'll beat that soon.
                                            Got home in 19:58 today for the 5 km. Massive improvement I set the treadmill to 15 km/hr two days ago & ran for 17:38 (4.26 km). Felt like I had more in me so did the same today. Got 4.8 km without too much stress & jacked it up for the run in. Definitely think I can improve on that. I quit smoking 2 months ago & haven't been drinking much over that time which must have contributed significantly because I haven't run 5 km since the start of March!

Comment

Congrats FM.
                                              I know you've been chasing that sub 20min time. You were always a step ahead of me, so hopefully I can make it there soon-ish

Comment

Oh Deer. 4 miles in the Phoenix Park this morning. Very enjoyable. Started at 7 a.m. and great to see the park so busy at that time.

Comment

Finally signed up for the series, including DCM. Training proper starts June 26th, although I'm currently training at about week 4 of it. Gonna really work hard at this. Right now a tight sub 4 looks most likely, would hope to get in the shape for a 3:45 though. Doable.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                                    Oh Deer. 4 miles in the Phoenix Park this morning. Very enjoyable. Started at 7 a.m. and great to see the park so busy at that time.
                                                    I did the staff relay series run last night, just starting back after busting my ankles, I found the course very tough with two real bastards of hills in the heat, turned out to be the toughest 5K ever for me and I just scraped in at 29:20

Instead of using the time resting my ankles for extra swimming and cycling I got in less than usual and put on another couple of Kg so I've missed my goal of doing TriAthy by a long way.
                                                    The rest of my summer and autumn plans are in chaos with a big wedding coming up in October.
                                                    One of the ankles, the one that seemed only slightly sprained, isn't healing up as well as I'd hoped so I'll be reassessing my goals based on how much progress I make over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

I found the bosu ball good for working on ankle/foot strengthening, after an injury. Also lots of 1 leg balance drills.

Everyone puts on a few Kg when they lower the activity. Not the end of the world.

Comment

6 easy miles this morning. A 5 mile beach run with a few hill sprints at the turn around point. Then a mile to cool down. Foot still not 100%, but progress.

Comment

I was going to target a parkrun pb before training proper starts on June 26th but decided to sign up for the Irish Runner 5 mile on the 17th instead. Anyone else doing it?

The training plan has a hard session every Wed with easy sessions on Tue and Thurs (plus a long run and some cross). I decided to start that early, did an easy 6k yesterday and a 36min progression run this morning after only reading about them last night. Basically 12 min real easy, 12 min at your normal pace and 12 min at a 'comfortably hard' pace. Progressing gradually from one to the other. Feel so good today after it.

Gonna add some strides to the end of tomorrow's easy run.

Comment

I was going to target a parkrun pb before training proper starts on June 26th but decided to sign up for the Irish Runner 5 mile on the 17th instead. Anyone else doing it?
                                                            Might be tempted but need to decide how to ramp up to the Clontarf Half on July 1 before committing.

I suppose a fast-ish 5mile could be part of the plan. Definitely want at least one 'long run' of 15K this time, really should do two.

Mind you i didn't do any last time and it was my fastest half in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                              Might be tempted but need to decide how to ramp up to the Clontarf Half on July 1 before committing.

I suppose a fast-ish 5mile could be part of the plan. Definitely want at least one 'long run' of 15K this time, really should do two.

Mind you i didn't do any last time and it was my fastest half in a couple of years.
                                                              I know of a really enjoyable 14-16k route, depending on where you start.

Busaras out North Strand, cutting into Fairview park and out the coast road. Turning up into Raheny and back the Howth rd, pass Clontarf rugby club and back onto the coast road, into Fairview park.

Did it a couple of weeks ago early on a Sunday morning and it was amazing. Most enjoyable route so far.

Comment

Wahoo, pb at parkrun. 22:10.

Shaved 5 seconds off it. Haven't been able to come close to it since November.

Started structured training over the last couple of weeks and it's really paid off.

Delighra.

Comment

Took out some new shoes for a light spin just now, they feel so good. Got a pair of New Balance 860v7 after a gait analysis in Amphibian King.

What a fantastic set up down there (Ballymount), they analyse for cycling and swimming too, have a pool with cameras underneath to give you advice on your stroke. A must visit for anyone doing triathlons I would say.

Guy dealing with me was great, full of advice.

Running the Irish Runner 5 tomorrow, any of you guys doing it?

Comment

New shoes are always great.I buy all my gear there too. Definitely recommended.

Not running tomorrow unfortunately. A rare work outing tonight got in the way but i hope to knock out 10Km at lunchtime to compensate.

Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

It's hot for running dammit so be careful out there tomorrow Lazare.

Did my regular 10Km round Sandymount/Poolbeg today and got a serious burn on my face and arms and was thirsty virtually all the way around.

Drink water and pish plenty before you start and you'll be one step ahead the rest.

Looking forward to reading the trip report.
                                                                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 16-06-17, 22:30.

Comment

Cheers Benny. Was in bed when you posted

Damn that heat, an absolutely beautiful day but Jesus was it tough. I came in in 38:16, a minute better than Raheny but two minutes behind my target. I had to put up with a lot of congestion in Raheny which I didn't have today so I'm happy with the time but not overjoyed.

Great race though, a flat enough profile until just after the 3rd mile at the Furry Glen where you have an absolute slog of a climb, a good few had to walk it, was glad I kept running. There was a decent downhill just before it where I picked up pace which cancelled it out. Saw so many people apply the brakes during that stretch which I found odd, running on muscles rather than letting the spring carry them. Was fun passing loads.

The last km I picked it up a bit and found a sprint in me for the last 200m.

Overall I'm happy with my performance in the latter half, but room for improvement. I think if I ran Raheny on today's fitness I could prob bag a 36:00.

Time for a beer.

Comment

Did my first parkrun in 5 weeks today, getting over a strained/injured Achilles tendon Very slow, but back at it which is good. Got some tips on how to break the 5k/20min barrier today, will try to follow them over the next few months and finally do it! Sorta sad to be only starting this after passing the 40th barrier, I'm sure if I ran 10 years earlier I'd be half decent.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                            Sorta sad to be only starting this after passing the 40th barrier, I'm sure if I ran 10 years earlier I'd be half decent.
                                                                            Have that exact feeling.

Comment

Got some tips on how to break the 5k/20min barrier today, will try to follow them over the next few months and finally do it!.
                                                                              What were the tips?
                                                                              I'm gonna take a stab a sub 20min 5km before the end of the month.

Comment

Well, I don't train for running really; I work in a bit of running around my gym sessions and occasionally go for identical 4.5k runs near my home (I have a nice course that doesn't cross too many roads and can be done in under 20 mins, which is as much as I like to run to be honest, I do find running fairly boring unfortunately!). A more serious runner I met socially gave me a few tips 1) ditch the identical runs during the week and replace with a combination of longer runs (8k+) and speed sessions. For the latter, run 1k at top pace (faster than your 5k average), walk for 90 secs, run at 1k at top pace, repeat... aim to do 5k in total this way. She was adamant that if I've having trouble pushing on (stuck at 20.13 5k PB since the start of this year) I simply must do speed work to be able to improve.

Comment

Yeah she's dead right. Some 4x 400m intervals thrown in there too. Full clip for 400 then two or three mins rest.

And 5x 100m strides, particularly at the end of an easy run.

Comment

I flirted with fartlek for a few runs a couple of years ago but felt i was at more risk of injuring myself than getting faster.

Also the fact i tried it at 10k rather than shorter distances probably wasn't optimal.

Must try again on a few 5ks to see if that's more palatable.

Comment

Well, I don't train for running really; I work in a bit of running around my gym sessions and occasionally go for identical 4.5k runs near my home (I have a nice course that doesn't cross too many roads and can be done in under 20 mins, which is as much as I like to run to be honest, I do find running fairly boring unfortunately!). A more serious runner I met socially gave me a few tips 1) ditch the identical runs during the week and replace with a combination of longer runs (8k+) and speed sessions. For the latter, run 1k at top pace (faster than your 5k average), walk for 90 secs, run at 1k at top pace, repeat... aim to do 5k in total this way. She was adamant that if I've having trouble pushing on (stuck at 20.13 5k PB since the start of this year) I simply must do speed work to be able to improve.
                                                                                      Ah right, it seems I ended up doing what she advised on my own. Minus the 8ks, ugh the thoughts of not stopping 5k
                                                                                      I run 5ks for a few weeks they switch to speed work. 1ks, 800m, even as short as 400m for one week. Just trying to get used to running at speeds of 16-20km/h so that 15km/h feel comfortable.
                                                                                      Did 3.6km at 20min pace yesterday.

Comment

Poker writer Nolan Dalla ran in Las Vegas yesterday at 4pm when the temperature hit an all-time record of 117 degrees.

Comment

Dunshaughlin 10k tonight, really looking forward to it. Gonna try beat night run time of 49:38.

Comment

After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.

Comment

Can't wait to hear how Conor got on!

Did my usual parkrun this morning, disgracefully slow time Feels like it will be many weeks till I am back at a decent pace.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.
                                                                                                Nice one AJ, great feeling to come out of an injury. Was reassured on here that in my own case I would be back where I left off after about ten runs and it's true. Feels like you've a huge hill to climb to get your fitness back but it comes back in no time.
                                                                                                Can't wait to hear how Conor got on!

Did my usual parkrun this morning, disgracefully slow time Feels like it will be many weeks till I am back at a decent pace.
                                                                                                Cheers Paul, really happy. Came home in 47:57. Pretty tough course, particularly the last 4k, with a really hard uphill drag on tired legs, seemed to go on forever. Was waiting on the fast downhill but it never came. Makes the pb all the sweeter tbh given the VM night run was pretty much a flat fast course. Managed a 2:56 min/km kick for the last 100m or so which gave me good hope that I can keep trimming that time.

Great race, great support the whole way, seemed the whole town was out. Some spread afterwards. Would definitely recommend it.

Comment

Did 4km in 15:58 yesterday. On a treadmill.
                                                                                                  Kept it at 15.1 for the majority, ramped up to 22km/h for the last 200m or so. Also just noticed that the first page of my log had me doing.
                                                                                                  Sub 20min 5k is next.

Comment

Ran the Clontarf Half Marathon today finishing in 2:10:07.

It was probably the most comfortable half i've done in quite a while (probably helped by a full packet of Lucozade sweets in the second half and a a strong breeze keeping me dry).

I did no long runs or additional training other than my usual weekly runs so wasn't too heavily invested but i'm petty disappointed i didn't pay more attention to my pace on the way around as i definitely feel I could have shaved another couple of minutes off. Relly should have stayed closer to the 2hr pacer for the first 11K.

Apparently the headwind on Bull Island was 21kph on the way back so that might have added a little to the time but i didn't really feel like it slowed me down (probably due to massive Lucozade rush).

Anyway a decent day at the office i suppose. Beautiful route as always, well organised and almost perfect running conditions on the way out at least.

Saw a couple of bad casualties and at least one runner hospitalised after he collapsed around the 18k mark.

Will probably do it again in November if the weather is kind.
                                                                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-07-17, 18:48.

Comment

Did the half marathon in Vancouver last weekend in 24 degrees, took it relatively easy and actually enjoyed it a lot which was a stark contrast to previous 2 marathons. Also saw one unfortunate guy being put in an ambulance about 400m from the finish.

Comment

Crosspost from the boards marathon novices thread to give you an update on how the training is going, feel great.

Originally posted by Lazare
                                                                                                        Week 2 report.

Went to the gym session again on Monday morning, worked on back, biceps and legs, all medium intensity stuff, I was happy to start doing some work to strengthen the glutes.

I don't know whether it was the leg work or the roughish sleep I had Mon night (have a 2 year old that loves nothing more than getting out of her bed at 4am to poke me in the eye) but I was about 20 seconds slower than last week with the same effort on the 3 mile easy. It would have bothered me had it not of been for AMK's great post about the ebbs and flows of your energy levels, and that it doesn't matter if you're slow one week and quicker the next, all that matters is the effort.

Wednesday's pace run was similar, was 8 seconds off target pace. A very enjoyable session and again no worries about not hitting the target.

Thursday called for a 3m recovery run but I ran it easy.

The standout run of the week and by far the most enjoyable was today's 10 mile LSR. What a buzz afterwards, still swimming in the endorphins.

I set out to try time it that I finished it at Griffeen parkrun. Planning a 6:15 pace (km (obv)) I arrived at Griffeen at 8:15 am, did some dynamic stretching and set off in the direction of Lucan village with the intention of running 5.5k then turning back. Headed out past the weir, up the hill at Laraghon which was a test, out the Clonee back road to the canal, then 1.5k up and back on trail before turning around and heading back.

Timed it almost perfectly, arrived back at Griffeen at 9:26, ran up and down the warm up area then joined the back of the pack. I fell in with a girl I know and ran along at her pace chatting, copped the watch then and I was running at almost MP. Ran at that pace until the last 800m or so then made a bolt and ran at 5k pace.

Felt absolutely awesome afterwards. Last week I began to fatigue at the 7k mark, didn't feel like it at any stage today, felt so strong throughout. Maybe the four days in a row last week was to blame for that.

Top o the world ma.

Hope you all enjoyed your week too.

Comment

100% agree with that sentiment. Focus on getting out and building up the km rather than being overly concerned with fluctuating times. When is the marathon?

Comment

100% agree with that sentiment. Focus on getting out and building up the km rather than being overly concerned with fluctuating times. When is the marathon?
                                                                                                            Yeah, that post was such an eye opener, some great advice on that thread.

It's Dublin, the end of October.

Comment

Had planned a run on Friday but work was hectic. Was gonna write it off for the week but GF was going to the gym this morning (Sunday) so I said I'd hit the treadmill for a 5km.
                                                                                                              Found something on TV to distract me and just plowed along. Every few mins I counted steps to check cadence. Maintaining a pretty steady 180spm.
                                                                                                              Kept an eye on my time and with a 500m left I was on target. So didn't bother sprinting at the end. Didn't have much in reserve anyway.
                                                                                                              Crossed the 5km mark at 19:58. Sub 20min 5k in the bag.

Considering an official 5km race or even parkrun. But happy with the above for now

Comment

Ran a long slow half marathon this morning. Set out from Garda HQ, out the park, down south quays, in and out of Trinity then up Grafton St into St Green. Headed out Leeson St then to the canal on to Ringsend across the East link. Headed up the north quays back to the park.

Man, the last couple of k were pain. All I could think was how the fook am I gonna do double this?

Ran on an empty stomach though, so expected the last stretch to be tough but still.

Feel deadly now though.

Comment

Ran a long slow half marathon this morning. Set out from Garda HQ, out the park, down south quays, in and out of Trinity then up Grafton St into St Green. Headed out Leeson St then to the canal on to Ringsend across the East link. Headed up the north quays back to the park.

Man, the last couple of k were pain. All I could think was how the fook am I gonna do double this?

Ran on an empty stomach though, so expected the last stretch to be tough but still.

Feel deadly now though.
                                                                                                                  Nice route. Did you go out early avoid the crowds?

I did a half on an empty stomach once and while it felt OK at the time i realised afterwards i probably got lucky not to have some kind of setback/injury. Never did it again. Be safe out there!

Presuming you haven't needed to give too much thought to it you'll have to start re-fuelling - gels, jellies, glucose, water and develop a plan for the big race. Overall diet will become much more important in the coming weeks if you want to optimise your time.

Got a plan?

Congrats on today. Big milestone. Don't stress too much now about 26. Think of 15 and 18 as the next milestones. And good luck.

In other news i just discovered the Modello Half Marathon on Sept. 3. Gonna try and do it but afraid it might sell out before i get the chance to confirm. We'll see.

Comment

Cheers Benny.

I set off at 8am, was perfect, crowd wise and temperature wise. Was in town again later on in the afternoon and it was really warm and full of people. You can't beat early morning weekend running in the city centre. In the summertime. Runners high.

I actually set out to purposely run it on empty, but you're right, I know I need to be careful. I actually brought cash with me just in case it wasn't working out and I needed to stop. I'm also being really mindful of combining it with really good nutrition and recovery. The idea is to get efficient at burning fat.

I'm signed up to the boards DCM novices thread, there's two programs that people are following, the Hal Higdon novices plan and a slightly tougher one that a boardsie came up with. I'm following the boards plan. Each week consists of an easy run on Tue, a session on Wed, an easy run on Thursday then a long run on Sat. I'm also doing one on one gym sessions on a Monday morning. It includes the race series which is great. Fingal 10k next weekend.

Confirm now bro, before it sells and bag a pb while you're at it.

Comment

With a marathon training cycle, one of your primary goals is to train your body to process glycogen more efficiently, and train your energy processing systems. Running some of your long slow runs on empty is fine, 3-4 months from marathon, if you do it intentionally.

For some of the harder efforts, you should still carb load.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by colm_leche; 16-07-17, 10:10.

Comment

Ran the Fingal 10k this morning.

Great race, super atmosphere and the weather couldn't have been more suitable to slogging around 10 kilometers.

Have a plan/strategy to run a negative split on the big day itself and decided to practice it today.

Picked a goal time of 47:30 (pb is 47:55) and figured out the pace for it (4:45). Plan was to run the first 5k at 4:55, picking it up to 4:40 ish from 5-8k then going at the fastest clip I can handle for the last 2k.

Went really well, ran the first 5k in 24:17 and the second 5 in 23:38 for a time of 47:56. Didn't hit the goal time but that doesn't really matter, the strategy working out and getting that negative split was such a confidence boost. My last km was the fastest.

Hitting the exact same time as Dunshaughlin actually was a huge eye opener.
                                                                                                                        The two races were so similar in terms of profile, fast section at start, big drag near the end but the difference between the two in terms of how I felt is immense.

In DS I bolted out the gate, ran the first k at 42:30 pace and was bolloxed by 6.5k. Struggled home with people passing me left right and centre, I managed a kick at the end but it was a huge slog up to that.

Today I ran the first 5k as planned, at over 49 min pace and then felt really strong for the second 5, passing loads of people out and finishing strong.

I'll never run a race the old way again. Such a buzz.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Lazare; 23-07-17, 17:14.

Comment

Been managing about 20 easy miles a week for the last month or so, with about 4 outings @ 10 miles +, so will be tackling the RnR 1/2 in a week and a half or so.

Colm

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X