Computer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Help

Computer after being quite flaky for quite a while has given up completely. When powered on it boots to the black screen with a blinking cursor. I can't access F8 for safe mode, only options are F2 for bios which works and shows the harddrive and f4 for recovery option which goes back to black screen with blinking cursor.

I created a bootable USB using the disk that came with the computer. I have verified that this is working fine and created properly using another computer. I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot options to make the computer boot from the USB but it still just goes to black screen with blinking cursor.

Any help appreciated or is it fucked?

Opr

Sounds like your HDD is dust. If your laptop has in built diagnostics, try to run it and see what it turns up. Its usually F12 on Dells, some other brands will have a HDD test in the BIOS.

Otherwise pop ubuntu or the ultimate boot cd onto a usb, boot from it and run a HDD test. If your HDD is on the way out, its still possible to recover data using the same USB.

Comment

Cheers, swapped it out with a HDD from another computer which worked fine so looks like it's dead. Nothing on it I want so just gonna swap it out for an SSD. Any recommendations for a particular one to go for?

Opr

Comment

I've set up a couple of work laptops with Samsung 840's and they perform excellently. Probably best bang for your buck. Amazon.co.uk have the best prices.

Good to hear it's an easy fix.

Comment

Bought the Samsung 840 SSD. Trying to get it up and running. When I put the hard drive in and boot, it reads it fine just saying need bootable media. Putting in the usb key i created with the operating system to install windows but computer just boots to the black screen with blinking cursor. Can I not use this?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
            Bought the Samsung 840 SSD. Trying to get it up and running. When I put the hard drive in and boot, it reads it fine just saying need bootable media. Putting in the usb key i created with the operating system to install windows but computer just boots to the black screen with blinking cursor. Can I not use this?

Opr
            Most likely either the laptop isn't set to boot off the USB stick or the USB stick doesn't have windows installed properly on it.

Use the MS USB download tool to download a windows install disk or ISO onto a USB stick: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Also check the BIOS settings for boot device priority and select the USB stick as number 1. Alternatively your laptop may have the option to select the boot device at the splash screen when you turn it on. Could be F10, F11 or F12.

Comment

Working...
            X