Get healthy and fit of course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
    Still exercising usually 3 times a week focusing more on the running. Weighed myself a few days ago and put on 4kg in the last 3/4 weeks which I'm pretty sure is mainly fat as I have been eating more than usual.

So, I'm going to give a new diet plan a go until Christmas and see the results. I'll be implementing the following changes:
    - No carbs after 6/7
    - .5 litre milk daily max
    - Dinner of meat & veg
    - Eggs for breakfast
    - Cut out all junk food

I just need some advice on calorie intake. What should I be looking to take in on training days & recovery days? If memory serves me correct something like 2500 kcals on training days & something like 2000 on non-training days is sufficient?
    Haven't stuck by this religiously by any stretch of the imagination but I went to the gym last night and weighed in at 80kg which I was pleasantly surprised by considering I was in the gym 3-5 times since this post and haven't been for a run since it either as I went over on my ankle. Wearing a strap now so hopefully I'll be back running soon enough.

Of course going to the gym last night got me back in the buzz. Everytime I go I curse myself for having had so much time off as I always feel 10x better when I'm exercising. So, again I'm hoping to get into this more regularly and updating here. Diet lately is as good as it's ever been and clearly that is to thank for the ~5kg loss (biggest change has been no/very little carbs from 2 on which must be making the difference).

Goals are the same as ever so I was on the bike las night over treadmill. I did 10k in 20 mins and was dead after so same again tonight with some dips/pull ups/dumbell bench press I think.

Comment

Did a mix of machine weights as free ones were all taken and then 10k cycle in 18:30. Had a lovely dinner then of turkey in a roasted pepper with corn brocolli cauliflower chillis green beans & a healthy dosing of soy sauce. Tomorrow's lunch sorted too

Comment

Down to 79.6 kg yesterday. Very happy to get under 80 kg but I had two take-aways the last two nights so probably back at 80.

My program in the gym the last two sessions was focused on chest mainly as I feel this is an area I need to work on.

Dumbell Bench - 15kg x 6 x 2
        17.5kg x 6 x 2
        20kg x 6 x 2
        25kg x 6 x 2
        27.5kg x 6 x 1 (failed second set)

Incline Dumbell Bench - 10kg x 6 x 2
        15kg x 6 x 2
        17.5kg x 6 x 2
        20kg x 6 x 2
        25kg x 6 x 2

Dips 15 x 3

Chin ups 6 x 4

Followed by some biking. How does that look?
        Last edited by FeetMagic; 27-01-12, 12:28.

Comment

Plan for Feb is to move from decent diet to a strict one. This is what I had in mind so please critique it. I don't really know how important carbs are during work out days but I will take some in.

Breakfast: 2/3 scrambled eggs
          Lunch: Chicken/salmon/turkey fillet, brocolli, cauliflower, soy sauce
          Dinner (non-workout): same as lunch with more veg
          Dinner (workout): same as above with a portion of rice/spuds/pasta or a slice of brown bread
          Snack: no more milk or cereal. Snack will be one of the following: handful of nuts, rice cakes with smoked salmon/salad on top, frozen blueberries, banana, etc.

How does that look in terms of hoping to lose ~5-7kg? I'll mainly be doing cardio and chest work for the month.

Comment

That's grand, ditch the rice/spuds/pasta though.

Do Interval Training for your cardio. It's the nuts for weight loss.

Comment

Still floating in and around 80kg for the time being although I had some false optimism two days ago when I weighed in at 78.5. Anyway I had a terrible week last week; no exercise and 3/4 takeaways so making up for that this week. Yesterday's session was all cardio and I think I'll go for the same tonigt:

Row machine 250m (at medium effort) 1 min rest x 10

Cross trainer (med effort) 1km - 15 mins

Bike - 5km

Run - 1km warm down

Comment

Checked my weight not so long ago and was 81kg but I look like I've definitely lost some fat so have to be happy with that. BF measured in at 16.2%.

I've been researching a lot into dieting lately as although I eat pretty healthy I get the feeling I'm wasting time as I could be seeing results a lot quicker. So my diet atm is eggs for breakfast, chicken and veg for lunch and same for dinner replacing chicken with turkey/steak/fish. Through my research online I found a lot of people dieting but focusing on eating the macros in every meal (protein fats & carbs) usually in a 40-40-30 split with fats the lower share. Then, there are others who don't bother with carbs which is sort of what I'm at at the minute but stock up on them one day a week (ketosis?). Just wondering should I keep on the track I'm on or switch to a macro diet?

Comment

Still eating well and exercising 3-4 times a week. Weighed in at 79.4 yesterday and body fat has definitely dropped - will get it checked either this Friday or following one. I stopped having a night time joint which means no late night snacks.

Sample diet atm. I think I'm going to start having a protein shake before bed and might introduce a spoon or 2 of natural peanut butter around mid-day.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled (minus yokes) & 1 fish oil tab & vitamin B complex
                  Lunch: 1.5 grilled chicken fillets, brocolli, cauliflower, less than a handful of cheese
                  Dinner: 1 large fillet of steak/fish & assorted boiled veg & 1 fish oil tab

I would estimate that at around 1500 kcals without weighing anything so probably need to throw in a snack

Comment

Definitely need to add to the diet. Barely had the energy to make breakfast this morning so I added two slices of brown bread with a small bit of butter & jam to my usual 3 scrambled egg whites. Haven't felt that weakness before but it's pretty clear it's from a shortage in the diet.

I'm thinking now the best bet would be to maintain what I'm doing but to add a protein shake around 11am and possibly a spoon of peanut butter around 11pm or vice versa. Breakfast will remain the same with added toast when needed as will lunch and dinner (also adding carbs when I feel they're required).

Really need to get scales bought as I've no idea what I've been taking in the last few days - probably around 1200-1500 kcals.

Comment

Weighed in today at 76 kg To be honest it was about time I started seeing progress as the diet is pretty clean. Today for example:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 2 rice cakes with jam, 1 fish oil tab & 1 vit B complex
                      Lunch: 2 burgers (fried but grease removed stringently), brocolli, cauliflower, corn, cheese
                      Dinner: 1.5 grillled chicken, celery, cauliflower, green beans, cheese
                      Snack later will be a tbls of peanut butter and a rice cake with jam.

I would estimate my BF is around 14% now but will have it checked soon.

Comment

Weighed in today at 76 kg To be honest it was about time I started seeing progress as the diet is pretty clean. Today for example:

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 2 rice cakes with jam, 1 fish oil tab & 1 vit B complex
                        Lunch: 2 burgers (fried but grease removed stringently), brocolli, cauliflower, corn, cheese
                        Dinner: 1.5 grillled chicken, celery, cauliflower, green beans, cheese
                        Snack later will be a tbls of peanut butter and a rice cake with jam.

I would estimate my BF is around 14% now but will have it checked soon.
                        Ugh was doing decent in Feb by the looks of things I haven't been on enough of a deficit since then & am at 78kg atm. I've increased my strength for sure & finally started doing the compound weights so my week usually has 4/5 sessions, 2 chest/tris, 1 leg/shoulders & 1 back/bis often getting a run in aswell. So all in all the last few months have been good, diet good too - think it boils down to just having too much food at lunch & dinner.

So 4 weeks to get from 78 to hopefully 74. Seeing as I'm in the gym quite a bit I have a protein shake in the morning & after a workout. Lunch I've been getting wraps most days so need to get back to the packed lunches of 1 or 2 chicken fillets and a bit of veg. Dinners are fine, usually veg & meat, maybe just reduce the quantity again. Will continue what I'm doing in the gym, maybe up the cardio. Long-term plan from July will be 12 months of a clean bulk & proper strength training prog but just want to trim the fat for the summer now. Will be updating this with food rather than than gym work most of the time but will throw in any significant strength gains. Hoping to be squatting 5*4 110kg squat, 5*4 105kg deadlift & 5*4 72.5kg bench press by month's end.

Comment

Today's intake:

Breakfast: 60g protein shake; 250kcals & handful of sesame sticks (80kcals)
                          Lunch: Brown bread sandwich, tuna, swiss cheese, sweetcorn, tomatoes served with a small amount of taytos & pasta salad (est = 500kcals)
                          Post-workout protein shake = 250kcals
                          2 coffees w milk & sugar = ~150kcals
                          Dinner: 1 large steak (400kcals) & 4 egg whites & 1 yoke (~160kcals)

Total intake: 1780 kcals with a 1.5 hr chest/tris session in gym so v large deficit there

It's tough to calculate a lot of the food accurately (such as a cup of coffee & a sandwich from a cafe) but I'd say I'm pretty close. Keep the majority of days like that over the next 4 weeks & I should get my goal weight. Also took in about 3-4l water.

Comment

Silly decision to go gym today. Had fuck all energy, mustered 10*200m splits on row machine with 1 min break, each split ~40 seconds. Wanted to run 5km then but couldn't manage it at all. Good deficit all the same. Hopefully be able for a decent session tomorrow. Intake:

Breakfast: 60g protein shake (250kcals) & handful of sesame sticks (80kcals)
                            Lunch: Brown bread sandwich, tuna, sweetcorn, tomatoes served with a small amount of taytos & pasta salad (est = 450 kcals)
                            Post-workout protein shake = 250kcals
                            2 green tea (0) & 1 black coffee (call it 50)
                            Dinner: 1.5 chicken fillets (300 kcals) & 2 toast & ketcup (200 kcals)

Total intake: 1580 kcals
                            Last edited by FeetMagic; 16-05-12, 20:52.

Comment

Went to the gym without breakfast to do some cardio. Was way harder than I'd expected - did 5km in 34 mins with a lot of walking, sweated buckets throughout.

Now here's where I need a bit of advice. Two days ago I weighed 78kg in the evening, 36 hours later on the same scales I came in at 75.5. Would the lack of a food have a big bearing here or is that too much weight loss in 2 days & possibly losing muscle more than fat?

That's the one thing I'm worried about, I have 4 weeks to cut so although that was nice to see I was more worried than happy with it. Or is that the norm when you start a proper cut? People always mention the "water weight" going quickly, have no clue what they're on about but that might be it? Although I'm drinking more water than usual... appreciate any insight anyway.

Post-workout: Protein shake (250kcals) & brown bread sandwich, tuna, sweetcorn (est = 350 kcals)
                              Dinner: 1.5 chicken fillets (300 kcals) & salad

Total intake: 900 kcals, probably have a decent snack before bed (possibly protein shake with milk which would bring it up to 1300/1350 kCals)

Comment

just weight fluctuations.

Water, Poo etc.

Your "bodyweight" wont have changed but your "transient" weight may have.

(Unless you burnt off ~ 20k kcals over the day.)

Eat more btw, you wont have any energy to do anything productive if you don't. I'd rather increase both kcal intake and also kcal expenditure than decrease both of them (from the level you are at now).

1600kcals a day is a good spot for someone in your shoes trying to cut. Gives you room for error and also gives you some fuel!

Comment

You need some fibre too, or you won't be able to poo.

Comment

Cheers Emmet just needed someone to tell me it's normal enough! Think 1600 is a good number alright (my maintenance is ~2100 but that was calc when 80kg) & pretty much what I hit the last two days. Don't see the upside of going to the gym again fasted, I saw a few people mention it in blogs but fuck that no real gain to it imo.

I saw you mention in bbv how difficult you've found last few months because of drinking at the weekend. In the exact same boat - my weight was 78-80kg since Jan even though eating healthy most days. My regular alcohol intake is about 3000kcals on a night out (& usually do the Fri & Sat) so going to have to try reduce my intake & switch to spirits to have any hope. I'd take maintaining weight at weekends and losing fat Sun-Thurs!

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                      You need some fibre too, or you won't be able to poo.
                                      Two slices of brown bread a day cutting it short? Might get that psyllium husk (?) I always hear you & Emmet raving on about

Comment

Psyllium husk is horrible IMO and tbh I didn't even find it that effective. All bran is the nuts in the fibre department IMO.

Comment

I know protein shakes are handy, but they can work out expensive with the amount you are taking. Would you consider having a high protein breakfast instead. A couple of hard boiled eggs would give you as much protein as a shake.

This will sound horrible. Keane is right. Phylium husk is minging and i would only use it when i need to flush myself out. All Bran is great on a daily basis, as is Brocolli or Sweet potato.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                            Psyllium husk is horrible IMO and tbh I didn't even find it that effective. All bran is the nuts in the fibre department IMO.
                                            I've only ever had it as part of a Protein Shake with water. Always found it thickened up the shake brilliantly tbh!

Trick is to consume immediately, don't give it time to expand in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                              I know protein shakes are handy, but they can work out expensive with the amount you are taking. Would you consider having a high protein breakfast instead. A couple of hard boiled eggs would give you as much protein as a shake.

This will sound horrible. Keane is right. Phylium husk is minging and i would only use it when i need to flush myself out. All Bran is great on a daily basis, as is Brocolli or Sweet potato.
                                              Yup you're dead right only bought a 2kg tub a couple of weeks ago & it's looking half empty atm. Used to always have eggs for breakfast & now can't stand them in the mornings. Usually scrambled though, boiled would be a lot easier to get through I think so probably will try it out. It's a shit ton less calories though unless you eat the yokes.

Would love to be eating all bran every day but milk is my vice & I'm very happy atm to not be drinking it! Over my whole life I probably averaged 1.5l a day Guess I could just eat a handful or 2 plain.

Comment

Would love to be eating all bran every day but milk is my vice & I'm very happy atm to not be drinking it! Over my whole life I probably averaged 1.5l a day Guess I could just eat a handful or 2 plain.
                                                Mix your protein shake in with it instead of having more milk? I often eat it with just a drop of water tbh, I just like the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                  I've only ever had it as part of a Protein Shake with water. Always found it thickened up the shake brilliantly tbh!

Trick is to consume immediately, don't give it time to expand in the water.
                                                  Never tried it with protein - just had it with water on it's own - might give it a try tomorrow and see if I can stomach it a bit better.

Comment

Sorry to butt in but who the hell eats eggs without the yolks? They're the tastiest part! Mmmmm eggs....

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                      Sorry to butt in but who the hell eats eggs without the yolks? They're the tastiest part! Mmmmm eggs....
                                                      Haha no problem. You'd be surprised, although the yoke makes it tastier it contains around 70 calories with no protein, whereas egg white is 10-20 calories & 4g protein. Unfortunately if you're doing a quick cut you don't have the luxury of thinking of taste first although you could if you put in more effort than me!

Comment

Appreciate all the advice, going to take it all on board as you'll see if you keep an eye on here

Updated:

Post-workout: Protein shake (250kcals) & brown bread sandwich, tuna, sweetcorn (est = 350 kcals)
                                                        Dinner: 1.5 chicken fillets (300 kcals) & salad w two tbls olive oil (80 kcals)
                                                        Snack: Flapjack (400 kcals ) & 2 black coffees (80 kcals)

Total intake: 1460 kcals

Comment

Don't see the upside of going to the gym again fasted, I saw a few people mention it in blogs but fuck that no real gain to it imo.
                                                          There's no massive benefit to going fasted.
                                                          I do it for am sessions as I don't like to eat too much before gym.
                                                          But your energy shouldn't be much difference. 3 egg whites for breakfast won't affect your energy levels in the gym. It's mostly mental.

Haha no problem. You'd be surprised, although the yoke makes it tastier it contains around 70 calories with no protein, whereas egg white is 10-20 calories & 4g protein. Unfortunately if you're doing a quick cut you don't have the luxury of thinking of taste first although you could if you put in more effort than me!
                                                          Not quite. The white has most of the protein, but the yolk has almost as much. Plus it has all the other nutrients. 3 egg whites isn't a decent breakfast.

There are extra calories to the yolk but this isn't a bad thing, its still comes out of your daily limit. Better to eat your yolks at breakfast than to some bread to fill a hole later.

Comment

Cheers Mellor! Would I be right in saying a normal egg is about 90 kcals but just the egg white 20?

Intake so far:
                                                            3 egg whites (60), 1 full egg (90)
                                                            2 black coffees (80)
                                                            Small portion of beef strogonaff w rice & slice of brown bread (est 600 kcals)

Might be on the piss tonight so won't be eating again until I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              There's no massive benefit to going fasted.
                                                              I do it for am sessions as I don't like to eat too much before gym.
                                                              But your energy shouldn't be much difference. 3 egg whites for breakfast won't affect your energy levels in the gym. It's mostly mental..
                                                              Surprised to hear this to be honest. It must have just been the effects of the cut so as I'm wrecked again today! Need to up the sleep I think. Usually I go to the gym after work so never hungry going in.

Comment

Stop being a girl and eat more ffs. You need to replenish glycogen stores and repair as well as fuel up adequately before training. Not eating before a workout is ridiculous tbh.

For digestion, green tea, brocolli, porridge(Jumbo Oats are the nuts) with flaxseed are your friends.

Also, caffeine before a workout is awesome. It'll give you a 5-8% boost. It's quite noticeable for my sessions when I don't take some in pre workout.

Comment

Haha you don't think ~1600 kcals on a workout day & ~1200 on rest days is sufficient for my aims? Basically 4 weeks to drop ~4% BF.

Cheers for info mate, was hoping you'd post as I have great respect for what you've achieved! I usually eat a heap of brocolli with dinner & I take coffee too before workouts. It's savage! I am only 3/4 days into the cut so it's still trial & error, if I find myself consistently weak/tired (which kind of seems to be happening already but could be just adjusting) I'll obv increase. Prob see how I am on Mon/Tues. I'm not going to kill myself for the cut but I think it's sufficient atm.

Tomorrow I'll be drinking all day so going to have 4/5 eggs in morning & a coffee, workout, then a tin of tuna & hopefully don't go too far over maintenance with the drinking!

Total intake (rest day):
                                                                  2 black coffees (80)
                                                                  Large tin of tuna w sweetcorn mayonnaise & salad (500 kcals)

Total intake: 1330 kcals.

Comment

Haha you don't think ~1600 kcals on a workout day & ~1200 on rest days is sufficient for my aims? Basically 4 weeks to drop ~4% BF.

Cheers for info mate, was hoping you'd post as I have great respect for what you've achieved! I usually eat a heap of brocolli with dinner & I take coffee too before workouts. It's savage! I am only 3/4 days into the cut so it's still trial & error, if I find myself consistently weak/tired (which kind of seems to be happening already but could be just adjusting) I'll obv increase. Prob see how I am on Mon/Tues. I'm not going to kill myself for the cut but I think it's sufficient atm.

Tomorrow I'll be drinking all day so going to have 4/5 eggs in morning & a coffee, workout, then a tin of tuna & hopefully don't go too far over maintenance with the drinking!

Total intake (rest day):
                                                                    2 black coffees (80)
                                                                    Large tin of tuna w sweetcorn mayonnaise & salad (500 kcals)

Total intake: 1330 kcals.
                                                                    Thanks for the props, appreciate it!

You don't need to be on a super low cal diet to strip bodyfat. As long as the calories are clean(which looking at your food logs they are), should be grand.

Could be a number of reasons your fatigued. Lack of sleep, overtraining or you're not refuelling sufficiently. A huge meal right after you train is perfect. Your body won't store it as it'll all be used for repair and rebuilding the glycogen stores. I typically take in at least 1000 calories post workout(i'm on a different type of programme to be fair) and i've only put on 0.8% bf, despite gaining over 10kg on my latest programme.

Overtraining could be another reason, how often you training? You getting rest days in? Do you get a lot of DOMS?

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                      Thanks for the props, appreciate it!

You don't need to be on a super low cal diet to strip bodyfat. As long as the calories are clean(which looking at your food logs they are), should be grand.

Could be a number of reasons your fatigued. Lack of sleep, overtraining or you're not refuelling sufficiently. A huge meal right after you train is perfect. Your body won't store it as it'll all be used for repair and rebuilding the glycogen stores. I typically take in at least 1000 calories post workout(i'm on a different type of programme to be fair) and i've only put on 0.8% bf, despite gaining over 10kg on my latest programme.

Overtraining could be another reason, how often you training? You getting rest days in? Do you get a lot of DOMS?
                                                                      Ya definitely a lot to consider & should know more in the coming days. I train 5 if not 6 days a week & usually good sessions so that may have to be cut down for the coming weeks too. Don't get any DOMS but I get a lot of protein. Tomorrow is gym & drinking & Sunday will be a rest day so I will have a clear idea of whether I need to up the kcals on Tues after a session then & Mon.

Comment

Cheers Mellor! Would I be right in saying a normal egg is about 90 kcals but just the egg white 20?
                                                                        It completely depends on the size. Check the pack for data, the ones Ibuy are 70 cals total, but a bigger egg would be 90 and 20 of that in the white sounds right.

If I'm making a batch of Fritatas or something I might add a cup of egg whites to up the protein. But single meals I'll just go with eggs.

Surprised to hear this to be honest. It must have just been the effects of the cut so as I'm wrecked again today! Need to up the sleep I think. Usually I go to the gym after work so never hungry going in.
                                                                        Everyone's different really. But a lot of it is randomness.
                                                                        I've hit PB bench pressing in the morning after not eating breakfast. I've had bad days after work were I loaded up with a high energy lunch.
                                                                        When you are cutting you just have bad days more often.

Comment

Did a gym session yesterday & completed a decent workout.

Yesterday's intake:
                                                                          4 egg whites, 2 full eggs - 260 kcals
                                                                          Ham & cheese toastie - 300 kcals
                                                                          Drink - 2400 kcals

Comment

Terrible day yest:

Bowl of all bran & corn flakes w milk: 300 kcals
                                                                            Milky way & taytos: 250 kcals
                                                                            McFlurry: 700kcals
                                                                            Footlong subway: 850 kcals
                                                                            3 cookies: 300 kcals
                                                                            Coke: 200 kcals
                                                                            Bowl of weetabix w milk: 350 kcals

Total intake: 2950 kcals

I will weigh in today after gym session, hopefully there is some decrease on the 78kg starting weight.

Comment

#98
                                                                              700 cals in a mcflurry, sick! No biggy anyway, back on track today..

Comment

#99
                                                                                Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                                700 cals in a mcflurry, sick! No biggy anyway, back on track today..
                                                                                Ya just googled it & std one is 620 kcals - the only McFlurry option is to have all the toppings! Prob even upwards of 700...

Ya I cut Tues-Fri so I'm hoping I see at least half a kg loss today, would be delighted to see 77kg.

Comment

I will weigh in today after gym session, hopefully there is some decrease on the 78kg starting weight.
                                                                                  76kg on the button. Very happy with that for 6 days' work considering the caloric surplus 2 of the 6 days. I ran 7.5km in gym before weighing myself so that would obv have an effect but it's been a good week & I'm looking forward to weighing in next Mon already. I'll set the target at 75.2 for 7 days time which should be do-able with a deficit 6/7 & training another 4/5 times.

Intake today:

2 egg whites, 2 full eggs (220 kcals)
                                                                                  Tuna wrap w crisps (450 kcals)
                                                                                  Chicken fillet w veg (300 kcals)
                                                                                  Post workout shake (250 kcals)
                                                                                  1 coffee w milk & sugar (110 kcals)

Total intake: 1330 kcals, will have a handful or two of sesame sticks later to bring it up to about 1500

Comment

Lads where are you training? Is it city centre or outskirts??

Comment

Taking any multi-vitamins?

Think you're gonna need some. Not much vitamin c amongst others in that diet.

Fish Oils and Multi-vitamins are good supplements. Omega 3 6 9s

Comment

Ya just googled it & std one is 620 kcals - the only McFlurry option is to have all the toppings! Prob even upwards of 700...
                                                                                        I'd say google gave you back the american McDonalds values.
                                                                                        On the US website, standard McFlurry is 610-640, the large one is up to 860cals (who the fuck needs a 16oz ice-cream?)
                                                                                        According to the Irish site, a McFlurry in its 365-385 calories, lower on average than the Yanks' snack size. FML

Comment

Just a question on fibre. Is a daily intake recommended from grains I.e All Bran?

I was under the impression excess (grain based) fibre intake could lead to a nutrient deficiency and can lead to some gastro intestinal problems?

As an alternative it was advised to stick to fruit and veg fibre.

Maybe someone here can clear that up I will try find where I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                            Just a question on fibre. Is a daily intake recommended from grains I.e All Bran?

I was under the impression excess (grain based) fibre intake could lead to a nutrient deficiency and can lead to some gastro intestinal problems?

brocolli is the boss

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                              Taking any multi-vitamins?

Think you're gonna need some. Not much vitamin c amongst others in that diet.

Fish Oils and Multi-vitamins are good supplements. Omega 3 6 9s
                                                                                              Ya I take some vitamin & Omega oil - I'll check exact ones when I get home. Think it's vit B complex. I only take 1 of each most days & increase the fish oils to 3-4 on resting days, I'm not sure if that's too little or too much what ye think?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                I'd say google gave you back the american McDonalds values.
                                                                                                On the US website, standard McFlurry is 610-640, the large one is up to 860cals (who the fuck needs a 16oz ice-cream?)
                                                                                                According to the Irish site, a McFlurry in its 365-385 calories, lower on average than the Yanks' snack size. FML
                                                                                                Great stuff! They really are the hangover cure for me!

Comment

I need some new ideas for cardio in the gym. I usually just row 200m splits, run on treadmill & cycle a bit. Is there any cool programmes for gym cardio where you could be aiming towards something? I don't really like HIIT on the treadmill but could incorporate it. I can think of a lot of ideas myself but if anyone knows a 45-60 min programme throw them my way!

Comment

Here's what i do in work on a Monday. Each session takes 40 minutes.

Warm Up

Rower 30sec on, 30 rest x10. Set drag factor to 8

Recover 3-5mins

EDT Block 15min
                                                                                                    Weighted Step Ups 5,5
                                                                                                    Inverted row 10
                                                                                                    Push Ups 10
                                                                                                    Recover as required

Rower1min on, 1min rest x5. Set drag factor to 5

Comment

Cheers Tom, will try something like that in next cardio session. Had an alright chest/tris session today, went for 3*10*65kg but failed on the last only getting 7.

Intake:
                                                                                                      2 egg whites, 2 full eggs (220)
                                                                                                      Coffee w milk/sugar (110)
                                                                                                      Meatballs in oyster sauce w rice & veg (est 600)
                                                                                                      2 salmon fillets w veg (500)
                                                                                                      Around 100kcals of sesame sticks
                                                                                                      Total intake: 1530 kcals.

Comment

Cheers Tom, will try something like that in next cardio session. Had an alright chest/tris session today, went for 3*10*65kg but failed on the last only getting 7.

Intake:
                                                                                                        2 egg whites, 2 full eggs (220)
                                                                                                        Coffee w milk/sugar (110)
                                                                                                        Meatballs in oyster sauce w rice & veg (est 600)
                                                                                                        2 salmon fillets w veg (500)
                                                                                                        Around 100kcals of sesame sticks
                                                                                                        Total intake: 1530 kcals.
                                                                                                        My friend who is a professional footballer swore by something he called the "4 minners"

Basically, 4mins at 95% of VO2 max, 1 min off doing nothing, repeat for another 3 goes

Takes 19 minutes

I used to do it myself when i was younger and i concur that it is pretty animal

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                                                                                          My friend who is a professional footballer swore by something he called the "4 minners"

Basically, 4mins at 95% of VO2 max, 1 min off doing nothing, repeat for another 3 goes

Takes 19 minutes

I used to do it myself when i was younger and i concur that it is pretty animal
                                                                                                          Sorry mate could you elaborate on that a bit? Do you mean doing some cardio at 95% then 1 min rest? Sounds like it would be very tough! Sometimes do 1 min on 1 min off on treadmill but wouldn't even be anywhere near 95%.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post

Yup, too much fibre can lead to some very unpleasant health problems.

Comment

I need some new ideas for cardio in the gym. I usually just row 200m splits, run on treadmill & cycle a bit. Is there any cool programmes for gym cardio where you could be aiming towards something? I don't really like HIIT on the treadmill but could incorporate it. I can think of a lot of ideas myself but if anyone knows a 45-60 min programme throw them my way!
                                                                                                              My monday sessions are cardio/conditioning lately so I've got a bit of a plan worked out. Like Tom above, the rower is my weapon of choice. I've planned out the following for myself.

1) Row 500m x 3 sets. Take 2 mins rest. Try to be constant with times. Go hard and beat your previous averages. 9-11 mins

2) 20sec work, 10sec rest x 8. Balls to the wall for 20seconds.
                                                                                                              Take a 5 minutes rest, do 3 sets. 22 mins

3) Row 150m x 10 intervals, 60 second rest between efforts.
                                                                                                              Aim for a target to be under for each rep. As you get fitter, reduce the rest. 15-18mins

4) Row 150m intervals with 30 second recoveries x10, take a 3 minute break fully off, row 150m invervals with 45 second recoveries x10, take a 5 minute break fully off, row 150m intervals with 60 second recoveries, (Got that one from JamesHanley.ie). Should take about 45mins to 55mins (150m splits 30-50seconds)

5) 4min row/3min rest/2min row/30sec rest/1min row/3mins rest/2min row/30sec rest/4min row. Total time works out at 20mins (13mins work/7mins rest)
                                                                                                              Record total distance.

The good thing about the concept2 rower is that its programmable. You can set all these workouts outs up, work distances or times, rest periods, intervals etc. Then you just have to row. And the screen tells you when to start and stop.

Comment

Excellent Mellor, going to give that exact programme a go at the weekend, I'll need much longer breaks but I like the design of it overall. Is the rower known to be much better than running/biking for fitness, suppose there wouldn't be much difference between the above & the same intensity workouts on a treadmill. Will try the rower at next cardio anyway!

Comment

Yeah the rower is pretty well regarded for cardio workouts. It's much better than the treadmill for intervals as you stop and start instantly.
                                                                                                                  Plus it engages your whole body a bit better.

Im going to give number 2 a shot on Monday, not looking forward to number 4.
                                                                                                                  Just to clarify. Do one of the above per session, maybe 2 of the shorter/easier ones.

Comment

Was thinking you'd be a serious machine to be doing all that haha! Didn't make the gym today and won't be back exercising until Sat but I'll do my best to keep the calories in check.

3 egg whites, 2 full eggs (240)
                                                                                                                    1 coffee w m/s (110)
                                                                                                                    Tuna salad on sandwich w crips (450) & cup of soup (150)
                                                                                                                    1 steak w veg & pepper sauce (400)

Total intake: 1350 kcals

Comment

Was thinking you'd be a serious machine to be doing all that haha! Didn't make the gym today and won't be back exercising until Sat but I'll do my best to keep the calories in check.

3 egg whites, 2 full eggs (240)
                                                                                                                      1 coffee w m/s (110)
                                                                                                                      Tuna salad on sandwich w crips (450) & cup of soup (150)
                                                                                                                      1 steak w veg & pepper sauce (400)

Total intake: 1350 kcals
                                                                                                                      Shouldn't have blazed up last night Total intake ended up at 2600 kcals!

Today will be a surplus too as I'm out tonight. ATM I'll settle for 75.5kg come Monday knowing I'll have had a surplus 2/7 possibly 3 though. I know I pretty much can't smoke the rest of these 2 weeks if I want to hit my targets.

Comment

Cross trainer is also awesome. My weapon of choice personally but the rower is good also.

Treadmill is only good if you actively wish to destroy your knee joints and give yourself shin splints.

10-15mins of interval training, after each weights session = watch the fat vanish.

Would be something like this;

20s @ 50%, 10s @ 95%. 10 mins = 20 intervals.

You can shorten/lengthen to match your capabilities. That's the beauty of HITT, it's entirely relative and stupidly beneficial for you. When I did it all the time I could pump out 16mins with 10/10 intervals. Only gone back to doing it recently once again to strip bf and I can only manage 12m at 20/10 right now.

It's also much shorter then cardio and a lot less boring as you're too wrecked to be bored.

Comment

So the 24th was ~2600 kcals & 25th was about the same. Yesterday was even worse with diet as follows:

Toasted chicken & cheese sandwich
                                                                                                                          Iceberger, 2 chocolate bars, 1 pack of popcorn, 1 large pack of Minstrels
                                                                                                                          4 slices Dominoes pizza, 4 cookies, 2 cans of coke

Had a decent bit of vodka too so est ~4000 kcals intake

Today was legs/shoulders, did a good workout & diet back on track today. Will be same story tomorrow & Mon and then weigh in.

2 eggs (180)
                                                                                                                          Protein shake (250)
                                                                                                                          Chicken curry w small amout of pasta for lunch & dinner (~700 kcals)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X