No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be pretty sure they offer the same service in Bray. I've always gone to Ballymount.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Anyone listen to music while running. I used to but struggled because I used to run to the tempo of the music and was all over the place pace wise.

When I stopped I got used to having a think about things, uninterrupted while running but feel myself getting a little bored lately.

Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.
        Poolbeg Park Run (Sean Moore Park in Sandymount) is slightly closer than Bushy Park (by about 1km)

Marlay is almost almost twice as far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          I'd be pretty sure they offer the same service in Bray. I've always gone to Ballymount.
          That one suits me better anyway, nice one

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
            Anyone listen to music while running. I used to but struggled because I used to run to the tempo of the music and was all over the place pace wise.

When I stopped I got used to having a think about things, uninterrupted while running but feel myself getting a little bored lately.

Any tips?
            If you type running into Spotify they have different tempo playlists. I don't listen while running so don't know if they're any use but probably worth a try.

Comment

Running is in the mind, especially when getting back into it . I've been struggling with my brain telling me to speed up but the flesh saying nope. I'm 4 stone and 10 mins off my peak so my slow progress has been frustrating . So I had a long think about my mindset heading out .
              My self diagnosis was that I'm a lazy runner . Keeping it safe in my comfort zone with my feet spending too long in contact with ground per stride. In effect resting. So tonight I concentrated on a lighter stride and less contact thus less deceleration per stride. I was out of gas afterwards but I knocked 20 seconds per K off my time plus I felt like I was running at last. I'm still slow but I've found a fix that will show a more improved rate of progress. Not deluded either . Just glad I figured it out. Probably just a mental placebo but feck it. I'm running . Was never so mental in my 20s. Just tore up the long mile road hopping over walls. Happy running/fitness BOYS

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                Running is in the mind, especially when getting back into it . I've been struggling with my brain telling me to speed up but the flesh saying nope. I'm 4 stone and 10 mins off my peak so my slow progress has been frustrating . So I had a long think about my mindset heading out .
                My self diagnosis was that I'm a lazy runner . Keeping it safe in my comfort zone with my feet spending too long in contact with ground per stride. In effect resting. So tonight I concentrated on a lighter stride and less contact thus less deceleration per stride. I was out of gas afterwards but I knocked 20 seconds per K off my time plus I felt like I was running at last. I'm still slow but I've found a fix that will show a more improved rate of progress. Not deluded either . Just glad I figured it out. Probably just a mental placebo but feck it. I'm running . Was never so mental in my 20s. Just tore up the long mile road hopping over walls. Happy running/fitness BOYS
                You are right Solks. Running really is in the mind. Doesn't matter over short or long distance you have to be able to block out the pain and forget about the fact that your HR is fucking flying and your legs are getting tired and you're only halfway to your target

You probably need to think about setting yearly targets or a best of the decade I'd say. Forget about where you were 20 years ago You never know, it might all come back in a year or two. One of our group went sub 3 marathon at 50 for the first time so anything could happen

Long runs have started for Manchester. 11 weeks to raceday and started with a miserable 13 last Sunday followed by my fastest 15. Better than anything I did training for Dublin. Amazing what 2 months off and 3 weeks of training does
                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Have you settled on a target for Manchester Switch?

What does the training plan look like?

Comment

Have you settled on a target for Manchester Switch?

What does the training plan look like?
                    Think I'll probably just go for 3.45. Did 15 miles today in 2.09(8.40 mile pace) and was pretty good after. Nothing like the pain of when I first started doing long miles before Dublin. I don't want to push it too hard in my second marathon as our group always talk about "2nd marathon syndrome." I'll see how the training goes and decide on the day tbh. The plan is to try and train for 3.50 and hopefully avoid injuries.

Don't exactly have a plan yet. Generally will go for two 5/6 miles runs, a speed session and a long run at 9min miles. Building up the long miles as I go. Going to go for 18 next week. Nothing wrong with speed for 3.50...just endurance

Comment

It's just all about miles. Lots of them.

Prob the best marathon workout is, on those long runs, the 18+ milers, pick it up to goal pace for the last 3 or 4 miles. Get the body used to enduring that pace on tired legs.

Good luck man.

Comment

It's just all about miles. Lots of them.

Prob the best marathon workout is, on those long runs, the 18+ milers, pick it up to goal pace for the last 3 or 4 miles. Get the body used to enduring that pace on tired legs.

Good luck man.

Yep. The experienced lads were all about that last 4 miles. I struggled with that tbh so will be looking to improve there. I kept my pace well today anyway. How's your training?

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                          Yep. The experienced lads were all about that last 4 miles. I struggled with that tbh so will be looking to improve there. I kept my pace well today anyway. How's your training?
                          Going good. In a base phase right now until March. Just building up the miles. Mostly easy running. Trying to get up to 45 mpw. Then I'll begin a half marathon plan targeting a yet to be decided on race late May. A month then of freedom racing 5ks until the marathon block begins in July.

Switching to heart rate training so am excited to see what that leads to.

Comment

Late to posting some 2020 goals. Put up some goals for 2019 and they were an absolute, epic failure so will try it again for 2020.

Run 250Km
                            Swim 300Km

Weight : Down to 13 Stone 7 pounds (currently 15 Stone 8 pounds)

Comment

Also, what would be the most accessible parkrun from the middle of Ranelagh village could anyone tell me? Thought there would be one in Herbert Park but doesn't seem to be.
                              Poolbeg Parkrun. Let me know if you’re going as I’ll head over, it’s my local one. Usually get around 80 at it.
                              Me too. Are you getting any tests done to get your max?
                              No, not yet though I’d be open to feedback if you did. I just found that given I travel a fair bit to the states I wanted to see how that impacted my effort levels.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Running is in the mind,
                              I couldn't agree more, someone said to me a while ago that improvements in running come down to being able to run uncomfortably and get on with it. So true that if you’re not pushing yourself you’ll stagnate. Fair play on the improvement. On a similar note someone posted that link to the biometrics of a fast runner and social one so since I started extending by stride and landing on my toes I’ve picked up pace without adding effort.

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                              . One of our group went sub 3 marathon at 50 for the first time so anything could happen :
                              Sub 4 or sub 3????!

Comment

Did my first 10km race on Sunday, and despite having a sick week from pure fatigue I managed to knock 2min 4secs off my PB to get to 46:50. I really think that sub 45mins is possible now as I kept at a steady pace the whole way around, but with a stronger lead up and a bit more pushing I could certainly get 45mins now I think. Exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                  Poolbeg Parkrun. Let me know if you’re going as I’ll head over, it’s my local one. Usually get around 80 at it.
                                  I was just up for the weekend so I'll be back to the local place this weekend. In the event I ended up out cycling instead of doing the parkrun.

I did manage my longest ever run by a mile last week. We were out planning to just do about 7k after which I was feeling very healthy so decided to do 10. At that stage I decided I better lengthen that out to 12ish for the sake of starting to slowly ramp up to half-marathon distance but in the heel of the hunt I kept going to knock out 10 miles for the first time.

I was very slow (took around 1:50) but I found I was totally in zen mode doing it. It was good to be able to think I had less than a parkrun left to finish out the half marathon just to know I'll be able to do it in a couple of months. I won't do that sort of distance for a while again though as the knees felt like I had bitten off a bit more than I was ready for at the end.

Comment

I was just up for the weekend so I'll be back to the local place this weekend. In the event I ended up out cycling instead of doing the parkrun.

I did manage my longest ever run by a mile last week. We were out planning to just do about 7k after which I was feeling very healthy so decided to do 10. At that stage I decided I better lengthen that out to 12ish for the sake of starting to slowly ramp up to half-marathon distance but in the heel of the hunt I kept going to knock out 10 miles for the first time.

I was very slow (took around 1:50) but I found I was totally in zen mode doing it. It was good to be able to think I had less than a parkrun left to finish out the half marathon just to know I'll be able to do it in a couple of months. I won't do that sort of distance for a while again though as the knees felt like I had bitten off a bit more than I was ready for at the end.
                                    I think the zen like trance is the best bit of long runs!

Comment

I dunno why but I've always wanted to say this on this thread.

Go wan ya good thing.

Comment

The rule of thumb is that adding 10% per week is the safe way to build up distance.

You've beaten any psychological barrier to doing the half now, you really don't need to be going further than 18 K in advance of it (I invariably go further than the distance in prep but hey I'm giving advice here not taking it ). Probably best to go back to 10K now and add . 2K a week running at your own pace between here and the half.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          The rule of thumb is that adding 10% per week is the safe way to build up distance.

You've beaten any psychological barrier to doing the half now, you really don't need to be going further than 18 K in advance of it (I invariably go further than the distance in prep but hey I'm giving advice here not taking it ). Probably best to go back to 10K now and add . 2K a week running at your own pace between here and the half.
                                          Is that 'add 2k' or 'add .2k'!?

Either way, I had it in my mind that I wouldn't be going near 16k again for a good while as I knew I had jumped too much just from the feeling around the knees. As you say, psychologically I was perfect and could easily have carried on but staying injury free is obviously the main thing.

I need to try and get a bit more consistent. I'm only getting out two to three times a week at the moment, obviously need to try and improve that to four.

Am I right in saying something like the below would be solid?

Mon - rest
                                          Tues - 6k
                                          Weds - 7k
                                          Thurs - 6k
                                          Fri - rest
                                          Sat - 11k
                                          Sun - rest

Comment

Is that 'add 2k' or 'add .2k'!?

Either way, I had it in my mind that I wouldn't be going near 16k again for a good while as I knew I had jumped too much just from the feeling around the knees. As you say, psychologically I was perfect and could easily have carried on but staying injury free is obviously the main thing.

I need to try and get a bit more consistent. I'm only getting out two to three times a week at the moment, obviously need to try and improve that to four.

Am I right in saying something like the below would be solid?

Mon - rest
                                            Tues - 6k
                                            Weds - 7k
                                            Thurs - 6k
                                            Fri - rest
                                            Sat - 11k
                                            Sun - rest
                                            I'd leave out the 3 times a week eating out .

Comment

Mon - rest
                                              Tues - 6k
                                              Weds - 7k
                                              Thurs - 6k
                                              Fri - rest
                                              Sat - 11k
                                              Sun - rest
                                              Again what I practice and what I preach are different and the likes of Laz will be able to give you a more GTO approach

For myself Ideally in building to a half I'd be going out every other day with an extra rest day every other week with two or three runs at about 6 or 7 and then one starting at 8 and adding no more than 2K a week till I get to about 18K c. 15 days before the event.

In reality here's the couple of months leading up to my last half where I ran the distance 14 days out because I had zero confidence I'd be able to

Comment

Yeah that's a solid week Keano, similar in structure to mine except I run on Sundays. Consecutive days are really good once you've easy running each side of hard days.

Yeah, the 10% rule is a good rule of thumb. It's safe to add 10% to your overall weekly mileage. So in the above case you could add 3k on to that long run if you wished to the following Sat, or maybe spread it out.

It's also advised to take a break from adding 10% every 3 or 4 weeks or so.

The long run is the most important run of the week, and as Tony says, you don't need to run the distance to be sure you can. If you can run 10 miles you can run 13.1.
                                                Body has enough fuel for 20 miles.

Comment

The GAA club at home has their annual 10k on Sunday so I've signed up for that - every week I get the LSR done is a week closer so great to have something like that pop up. Nice place to do my first 10k race too.

Comment

Michael Carrick is United's Silent Bob.

Oops wrong thread.
                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 23-01-20, 11:23.

Comment

The GAA club at home has their annual 10k on Sunday so I've signed up for that - every week I get the LSR done is a week closer so great to have something like that pop up. Nice place to do my first 10k race too.
                                                      Went out and did 12km last night at ~6m/km pace, really felt it towards the end in my legs. I forgot how much more tiring slow running can be as you’re on your feet for so long.

Comment

Went out and did 12km last night at ~6m/km pace, really felt it towards the end in my legs. I forgot how much more tiring slow running can be as you’re on your feet for so long.
                                                        FKKKKUUUUUU JOEEEE

Comment

I haven't had much occasion to run fast (faster than the very slow training pace I do) lately so can't exactly relate but I'm doing a 1/2 marathon training plan through the Garmin watch that had me doing strides the other night. Found it very enjoyable to pick up the pace for a minute at a time, must try and fit in a parkrun or 5k on my own soon to see how fast I can go.

Doing a progression run tonight which according to the plan is slow for 20 mins followed slightly faster for 10 mins.

Comment

33mins for 8km @lazare?

Comment

33mins for 8km @lazare?
                                                              Bad enough that he did the 8K race at 4:14 pace but he did a feckin 5K warmup at 5:19
                                                              That's just showing off

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                Bad enough that he did the 8K race at 4:14 pace but he did a feckin 5K warmup at 5:19
                                                                That's just showing off
                                                                You had me at 5km warm up... !

Comment

Unreal pace Lazare!

Comment

lol, just seeing this now. Cheers guys. Was actually 33:44.

V happy with it.

The warm up was about a km more than planned but I kinda got lost

Although I did a 6.5k warm up for a 5k race last year

Comment

lol, just seeing this now. Cheers guys. Was actually 33:44.

V happy with it.

The warm up was about a km more than planned but I kinda got lost

Although I did a 6.5k warm up for a 5k race last year
                                                                      Where do you go on the marginal gains for that long of a warm up? I’d be afraid my legs would fatigue if I did more than 2km!

Comment

Where do you go on the marginal gains for that long of a warm up? I’d be afraid my legs would fatigue if I did more than 2km!
                                                                        Well it's all about effort and pace. I start off with a gentle jog and slowly build it up to a moderate pace and effort, finishing off with a few strides.

I won't run anywhere near race pace for it, other than the strides obv.

The idea is to get the body primed and ready for the punishment, muscles and tendons warmed and oiled, aerobic system kicked in.

Absolutely vital for top performance and reducing injury risk.

Cool down is always a lot shorter but very important too, for recovery reasons.

Comment

Actually Laz I had seen a post on your log on boards that mentioned you going to a physio who gave you a structured warm up/down routine. I wonder if you could share some of it?

At the moment I just do some dynamic stretching before and static after but probably miles from optimum.

Comment

Actually Laz I had seen a post on your log on boards that mentioned you going to a physio who gave you a structured warm up/down routine. I wonder if you could share some of it?

At the moment I just do some dynamic stretching before and static after but probably miles from optimum.
                                                                            Likewise I don’t do any warm up as most of my running is time sensitive, I’d be curious to see how I’d get on with a proper one. I do think a decent warm up and stretch would make a big difference.

Comment

Oh yeah, that was in 2018. Tbh I lasted about 3 weeks doing it and gave up, a lot of it involved a resistance band and I think I lost that. It was good alright but I found it all a bit tedious. Squats with the band around the lower quads, star jumps etc. When you're up at the crack of dawn to run you don't have time for that shit.

What you're doing is fine. Three minutes of dynamic stretching, leg swings, lunge twists, calf pumps and away you go. A warm up if you're doing any sort of session or race, or pb attempt at parkrun. About a mile to 2k is usually enough. I tend to do longer warm ups because I'm trying to build my overall weekly mileage but it's not necessary.

I very rarely static stretch after running, I will after a really hard effort like Sunday but day to day I don't really bother. Dynamic pre run is far more beneficial I think, for me anyway.

The cool down is fairly straight forward, a nice slow gentle jog or walk after a hard effort. Flushes the muscles with clean blood, rinsing away a lot of the lactic acid build up.

Comment

Oh yeah, that was in 2018. Tbh I lasted about 3 weeks doing it and gave up, a lot of it involved a resistance band and I think I lost that. It was good alright but I found it all a bit tedious. Squats with the band around the lower quads, star jumps etc. When you're up at the crack of dawn to run you don't have time for that shit.

What you're doing is fine. Three minutes of dynamic stretching, leg swings, lunge twists, calf pumps and away you go. A warm up if you're doing any sort of session or race, or pb attempt at parkrun. About a mile to 2k is usually enough. I tend to do longer warm ups because I'm trying to build my overall weekly mileage but it's not necessary.

I very rarely static stretch after running, I will after a really hard effort like Sunday but day to day I don't really bother. Dynamic pre run is far more beneficial I think, for me anyway.

The cool down is fairly straight forward, a nice slow gentle jog or walk after a hard effort. Flushes the muscles with clean blood, rinsing away a lot of the lactic acid build up.
                                                                                The idea of getting out of bed to get the dynamic stretching in would be too much for me.
                                                                                Funny you mentioned the half marathon you did a while back and then parked ages away so you had to walk/jog off the lactic acid, it stuck with me and I’ve found when I do a slower final couple of km as a warm down I’ve no issues with it anymore.

Comment

So for the first time ever I've actually stuck to regular running. Feel healthier, have lost weight, I'm eating better, I'm not out of breath as quickly if I'm playing soccer or football. Using strava is unreal for tracking my progress, a few years ago I'd have puked at the thought of a 10k, now its handy. 5k, which I used to struggle with, is now just a quick run before dinner and my PB is below 25mins for the first time ever (think its 24:36) and if I miss my run it annoys me so that's a good sign. And tonight's run has put me over 100km for the year already. If I keep going I should smash my 750km target so looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks to all here for advice and encouragement. Grand little corner of the internet.

Comment

Nice one Sam. The bug is great isn't it.

Was chatting with Joe earlier, been threatening to meet up for a parkrun for ages. We decided to head to Corkagh Feb 8th. It's a really nice course and a great friendly crowd. Free coffee with your barcode in The Happy Pear afterwards.

Who's in?

Comment

Ok, I'll go for that. Could be the kick I need to get into parkrun.

Comment

the first time ever (think its 24:36) and if I miss my run it annoys me so that's a good sign. And tonight's run has put me over I 100km for the year already. If I keep going I should smash my 750km target so looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks to all here for advice and encouragement. Grand little corner of the internet.
                                                                                        It’s amazing how quickly you’ll progress. I couldn’t do 3km at 5:30 pace without stopping, and a year later that’s my warm down pace. You’ll fly it. Defo could target a sub 22min 5km by year end.

Nice one Sam. The bug is great isn't it.

Was chatting with Joe earlier, been threatening to meet up for a parkrun for ages. We decided to head to Corkagh Feb 8th. It's a really nice course and a great friendly crowd. Free coffee with your barcode in The Happy Pear afterwards.

Who's in?
                                                                                        What time does it KO 9:30?

Comment

Yeah, 9.30. We could meet in the car park at 9.15.

I'm also available to collect anyone if need be.

Comment

Grand, see you out there so.

Comment

Having a touch of lower back stiffness/twinges in the last week or so. Nothing particularly painful but I wonder if maybe I need to do some core work. Any tips?

Comment

Having a touch of lower back stiffness/twinges in the last week or so. Nothing particularly painful but I wonder if maybe I need to do some core work. Any tips?
                                                                                                Hard to explain over txt but I've the same problem every now and then. Stretching sorts it out. Lie on the ground with your heels tucked up to your arse, or close to it. And twist your hips up and down keeping your back level on the ground. Imagine trying to suck your stomach in and pushing your hips out.

Probably made a balls of explaining it but best way I can think of. I do that little exercise regularly now and havent had back trouble for ages

Comment

Hard to explain over txt but I've the same problem every now and then. Stretching sorts it out. Lie on the ground with your heels tucked up to your arse, or close to it. And twist your hips up and down keeping your back level on the ground. Imagine trying to suck your stomach in and pushing your hips out.

Probably made a balls of explaining it but best way I can think of. I do that little exercise regularly now and havent had back trouble for ages
                                                                                                  I know the one you mean - glute thrust/glute bridge I think it's called.

Comment

Ah, that sounds like fun!

I'm gonna be in London Saturday week and plan to do my first English parkrun here: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/victoriadock/

Will join ye at a future parkrun. Tymon is probably relatively accessible to many of us? Or Marlay? Poolbeg a favourite of mine but harder to get to for a lot of people (even for me it's a 20/25 minute drive, compared with 10 for either Cabinteely, Shanganagh or Marlay).

Comment

Yeah, I'd be up for a meet up at any Dublin parkrun.

Enjoy that one Sat week. Missed my chance to do one in Brighton last year with food poisoning.

There's one on the Hove prom that I'd love to do, my wife's friend lives just beside it and it's so easy to get to hers via Gatwick. Might go over with the 5 year old for a weekend soon and do it.

Comment

Pilates

Classes are good but if you get a couple of one to one sessions with a physio who teaches it a great way to start.

Comment

Ran up the Gap of Dunloe in Killarney this morning. Mother of god. What an absolute monster. There was some walking involved at the steepest point and it took ages for me to recover enough to drive after it but jesus it was worth it. Really looking forward to the race up there at the end of the month now

Comment

Ran up the Gap of Dunloe in Killarney this morning. Mother of god. What an absolute monster. There was some walking involved at the steepest point and it took ages for me to recover enough to drive after it but jesus it was worth it. Really looking forward to the race up there at the end of the month now
                                                                                                            Sounds class, must look to do more trails this year too.

Comment

A good foam roller !

Comment

I’ve got to go to a work event Saturday morning now so I won’t make this one, can we push back to 15th?

Comment

I’ve got to go to a work event Saturday morning now so I won’t make this one, can we push back to 15th?
                                                                                                                  Sure, no problem with me.

Comment

Would it be an idea to put up any races we intend doing here so others can see and think about meeting up?

I've the Connemarathon 1/2 on the agenda in April and the Great Limerick Run a couple of weeks later at the moment anyway.

Comment

On that theme, Keane. I spotted a thread on boards where a guy made an app that lists races and events all over Ireland. It's called Ruco Running and can be found in the Google play store only for now. It's fantastic and I've pencilled a couple of 5k and 10k races throughout the year

Comment

Comment

Would it be an idea to put up any races we intend doing here so others can see and think about meeting up?

I've the Connemarathon 1/2 on the agenda in April and the Great Limerick Run a couple of weeks later at the moment anyway.
                                                                                                                          Yeah, great idea. Nothing pencilled in myself yet this side July, will be in the market for a half in June. Will likely also do the Bob Heffernan 5k in May.

Would any of you fancy signing up for the race series? 10k in July, 10m in Aug and a half in Sep. Fantastic races with huge crowds.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X