Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't wait to hear what The War on Drugs come out with next.
    Listening to each album you can hear the growth, the evolution of the art. Fine tuning their craft.

I thought Lost in a Dream was a masterpiece, and it is but fuck me A Deeper Understanding is a whole other level. It's mind blowingly good. I've been listening to it on repeat for months and am moved each time as if it's the first listen. Jesus.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      How did Rita Harold do?
      1.4%

Gemma yoke 1.8%

Hurley welding fella 2.1.

Guessing I was one of the few that only gave Frances Fitz a preference ahead of the loonies.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Bit gutted I didn't join the Greens a few weeks ago and stand in Mulhuddart. They had no candidate here but comfortably won a seat in 5 of the other 6 Fingal areas. Even with zero campaigning (far too lazy) I reckon just having the GP logo beside a name on the ballot paper might have been enough.

I think as Cllr AJ I'd have approached power in idealistic fashion hoping to be a positive influence, before slowly embracing the sub-culture of planning corruption.
        Yeah you wouldn't have been the only one. Maybe a project for bbv next time around, ride whatever wave is going.

Comment

1.4%

Gemma yoke 1.8%

Hurley welding fella 2.1.

Guessing I was one of the few that only gave Frances Fitz a preference ahead of the loonies.
          What's the craic with that Gemma O'D one?

She was fairly respectable only a couple of years ago wasn't she?

Comment

Yeah you wouldn't have been the only one. Maybe a project for bbv next time around, ride whatever wave is going.
            Any form of extremism, send me and PSV, anything in the middle, Hankey waving nimbism etc, send the lads who work in the shiny buildings down the docks

Comment

The real craic is watching the UK elections

Brexit party murdering Ukip and Tories, severely damaging labour

Greens and lib Dems making moves to get themselves noticed

Brexit party will hang about for a bit and then half of them will probably become non voters

The second vote people have probably handed the brexit on a plate to farage

Scratch that, Mark army boy me francois is on so might have to stop watching

Scratch all of that, apparently only a 37% turnout, nobody over there gives a fuck about anything anymore
              Last edited by Guest; 26-05-19, 23:21.

Comment

Quality of the show has gone down hill but latest version of the Bugle is very good

Includes Mark Steel admitting being left wing in UK has been a waste of time as proved by what's going on at minute

And in Australia poor people voting for benefit of rich and rich voting for the benefit of the poor

With poor people winning the vote so the rich won

Listen to this episode from The Bugle on Spotify. Andy is with Alice Fraser and Mark Steel with major breaking news from Britain. Plus, more elections, more idiots, and cricket. Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.

Comment

'Scottish Thatcherite' who lives in France becomes Brexit party MEP

Comment

The 'all politics is local' catchphrase has serious depth to it when you look at the FF scores between local and euro elections.

And what happened to SF? Very poor showing.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Swing lady is coming across absolutely abysmal on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                        Definitely my fault I'm well jarred - did the Ring of Beara yesterday and absolutely delighted with myself. Fuck Strewelly and his Giro D'Italia story gazumping me earlier on!
                        Ring of Bearra far more impressive achievement, Well done. I'd bet you didn't jump out of bed in the middle of the night screaming in agony as both legs cramped up at the same time
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Shinners maybe got a lot of protest votes last time.
                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              As some wag on twitter noted:

Maria Bailey probably has a good personal injury case after this car crash
                              She was probably inspired by her constituency colleague

Comment

You wouldn't want to be on tenterhooks waiting for results in meath

Comment

Dudes, best fine dining places in Barcelona?

Comment

You wouldn't want to be on tenterhooks waiting for results in meath
                                    You've got another think coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      And what happened to SF? Very poor showing.
                                      Five years ago with Adams and McGuinness still at the helm and some slight ambiguity still existing on their stance on abortion there was probably a traditional older republican rural vote out there that they've since lost. Mary Lou has aggressively been imposing gender quotas throughout the party and has lost some councillors and their associated volunteers as a result. So that starts to explain stuff a little bit.

In Dublin housing has definitely got a lot worse and it's the one thing they had a genuine chance to impact given their majority in DCC last time out. Hard sell knocking on doors with the same message as five year's ago. Anyone voting them would have struggled to see what that vote got them.

The party official line is that turnout in working class areas was down and the Greens squeezed everyone. I don't buy either explanation or, at least, not getting a vote out is linked to enthusiasm in volunteers and belief in the message as a whole. And they've lost 5 / 6% in rural wards where there were no green candidates standing.

If you want a silver lining, this ~10% is a stronger ~10% than the 2011 general election, given it's post departure of the old guard and post the 8th amendment - hurdles that the party always was going to find difficult to get over unscathed. SF are also a victim of their own success a little bit in that they are now seen as quasi establishment in the eyes of working class / lower income voters. Certainly would've been seen that way in Dublin areas where they had great success in 2014.

Big test for Mary Lou. It's the first local / European election since their abandonment of abstentionism in the South where they've suffered a reverse. Not that it's always been plain sailing - Mary Lou herself lost a seat she was supposed to take in 2007 and their vote stagnated in that election, only to go in the right direction in 2011 in 2014. They have to stop losing councillors / volunteers on the ground; and they need a much greater clarity in the message on urban planning, housing and health. Lots of work to do.
                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

No impact in terms of actively running away from executive responsibility at Stormont? (And yes, the DUP are as bad)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                          In Dublin housing has definitely got a lot worse and it's the one thing they had a genuine chance to impact given their majority in DCC last time out. Hard sell knocking on doors with the same message as five year's ago. Anyone voting them would have struggled to see what that vote got them.
                                          Given the centralisation of power in this country, it would actually be a bit unfair if Dubliners turned on sitting councillors over housing.

Not that their relative lack of powers probably stopped them promising the world back in 2014...SF today might be suffering what happened to Labour in 2016.

Comment

That Bailey interview is amazing. Absolute career suicide, the levels of indignation is frightening.
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Eames chair has arrived. In a tropical monsoon downpour.

Comment

Anyone got a link to that Maria Bailey interview. Had it on in the van but got held up in a job and missed it.

Comment

No impact in terms of actively running away from executive responsibility at Stormont? (And yes, the DUP are as bad)
                                                  I don't think so. We'll see what happens with vote share in the North later today, but I'm personally surprised so far at how little issues like Brexit seem to have really shifted and shaped the results this weekend.

There's no doubt that the assembly up North needs to get back up and running. SF seem to have gone further in trying to make that happen thus far, though you might conclude I'd say that. In the short term, it's obviously a nice spot for the DUP. They don't like the GFA and want direct rule from Westminster - particularly when they hold an influence over it. But it's not a scenario set in stone and may well change significantly in the next few months...

Given the centralisation of power in this country, it would actually be a bit unfair if Dubliners turned on sitting councillors over housing.

Not that their relative lack of powers probably stopped them promising the world back in 2014...SF today might be suffering what happened to Labour in 2016.
                                                  Well we can say it's unfair or not, but SF need to get their act together on the topic and speak with one clear voice on it. When you're the largest party in DCC during a housing crisis when planning is one of the few areas where councils have any sort of influence it's not going to go well. Individual TDs or Councillors turning NIMBY in their locality is unacceptable and needs to stop for starters.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                    Anyone got a link to that Maria Bailey interview. Had it on in the van but got held up in a job and missed it.
                                                    Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey spoke to Today with Sean O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio 1 in an exclusive interview and said her family has endured a distressing, intrusive and abusive week as a result of documents

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      Ring of Bearra far more impressive achievement, Well done. I'd bet you didn't jump out of bed in the middle of the night screaming in agony as both legs cramped up at the same time
                                                      If you have a problem with cramps consider adding magnesium to your diet. Does wonders.
                                                      Last edited by Hectorjelly; 27-05-19, 13:00.

Comment

This is painful. Jesus.

Comment

This is painful. Jesus.
                                                          you would be amazed the amount of people who can never accept responsibility for their own stupidity....

Comment

Do people ever come out on the good side of Sean O'Rourke? Slight bias in that I only ever listen an interview where someone has got filleted. Seems a really poor choice to take on unless all your ducks are in a row.

Comment

Do people ever come out on the good side of Sean O'Rourke? Slight bias in that I only ever listen an interview where someone has got filleted. Seems a really poor choice to take on unless all your ducks are in a row.
                                                              Yeah, but she's armed with the kind of hubris that made her take that claim in the first place so no wonder she thought she could take him on!

Comment

Scroll down to the lad who came 16th.....must be awkward in the Results Centre with your family & friends

Mike Cubbard is the big winner so far today in Galway City Central, with the final tally showing the Independent councillor topping the poll for the second time.

Actually a bit more info here....
                                                                The former Aer Lingus worker and Independent candidate ran on a platform that included the publication of a number of health reports, improvements to local bus services and bus shelters, and the development of a light rail system in Galway.

Comment

This is painful. Jesus.
                                                                  Lol gas stuff.
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is painful. Jesus.
                                                                    What a fucking gobdaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                      Dudes, best fine dining places in Barcelona?
                                                                      Head out to Girona maybe? 3 Michelin Star El Celler de Can Roca There's a Chefs Table episode on Netflix for them too.

Comment

How funny is peoples' email flair?

I've one lad that signs off with a tilde and a non capitalised name.

Hi Steve,

Needs more cowbell.

~jon
                                                                        notions.
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                          How funny is peoples' email flair?

I've one lad that signs off with a tilde and a non capitalised name.

notions.
                                                                          I used to work with a South African guy who signed all his mails '<his initials> OUT'

he was ex-military and had killed quite a few people in his time

Comment

I used to work with a South African guy who signed all his mails '<his initials> OUT'

he was ex-military and had killed quite a few people in his time
                                                                            Alan Baker
                                                                            George Remington
                                                                            Steve Thompson
                                                                            Sean Hilton

and my personal fave

Conor Leavy

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              Alan Baker
                                                                              George Remington
                                                                              Steve Thompson
                                                                              Sean Hilton

and my personal fave

Conor Leavy
                                                                              I did go through a phase of signing off certain emails with 'thanks & retards'

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                Head out to Girona maybe? 3 Michelin Star El Celler de Can Roca There's a Chefs Table episode on Netflix for them too.
                                                                                Unfortunately can't but place looks great!

Comment

Jesus christ. She wouldnt have been out of place on some drivel like the Niall Boylan show with that shite.

Comment

Unfortunately can't but place looks great!
                                                                                    Only know Lasarte there, but it was tops.

Comment

2 days before WSOP 2019 starts.

11 people signed up, and 5 entries received so €125 to the winner at the moment.

Get involved, and get a 6 week sweat to keep you entertained!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                        Only know Lasarte there, but it was tops.
                                                                                        Thanks I'll check it out! Can't wait to eat a ridiculous amount of food on the trip.

Comment

Thanks I'll check it out! Can't wait to eat a ridiculous amount of food on the trip.
                                                                                          Hmm. Lasarte might not be much use to a vegan!

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-05-19, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                Can't wait to hear what The War on Drugs come out with next.
                                                                                                Listening to each album you can hear the growth, the evolution of the art. Fine tuning their craft.

I thought Lost in a Dream was a masterpiece, and it is but fuck me A Deeper Understanding is a whole other level. It's mind blowingly good. I've been listening to it on repeat for months and am moved each time as if it's the first listen. Jesus.
                                                                                                Would love a proper live album, some of the stuff on YouTube is mind blowing, been to see them a few times too , I’d play some of the live mixes from YouTube more than some of the album versions which is rare for me.
                                                                                                They seem to be in studio again

Comment

Any Flight Facilities fans in here? They have a live album with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and it's simply fantastic.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Always love imagining the differences between Crimecall in Ireland and if they had an American version...

America - "16 were shot dead today in a school"

Ireland - "The lady entered the shop at 2.32pm and left with 3 different lipsticks up her sleeve, do you recognise her"

Comment

I heard about Ian Graham at liverpool but never really knew much about him. This is a very good piece on him and Liverpools data analysts. Find this stuff fascinating and it just shows what's happening in top level sport to be successful.

Edit to add it's full of annoying Americanisms but still an excellent piece.
                                                                                                          Last edited by dobby; 27-05-19, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                            Would love a proper live album, some of the stuff on YouTube is mind blowing, been to see them a few times too , I’d play some of the live mixes from YouTube more than some of the album versions which is rare for me.
                                                                                                            They seem to be in studio again
                                                                                                            Was hopeful of that when I saw no tour dates.

Live stuff is phenomenal alright. Where have you seen them? Went to Vicar St myself few years back and it was a cracker.

Comment

Having a surprisingly heated argument with the missus about the intricacies of the PR system, does anybody care to enlighten us:

1. Say you voted no.1 for the lowest place candidate and no2 for the poll topper who passed the quota on the 1st count, what happens to your vote when your no.1 is eliminated on the first count? Is your no.3 preference used or your vote is gone?

2. Am I right in thinking that the surplus votes are selected at random so you have a very high chance your other preferences won’t be used if you vote no.1 for a runaway poll topper?

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                                                                Having a surprisingly heated argument with the missus about the intricacies of the PR system, does anybody care to enlighten us:

1. Say you voted no.1 for the lowest place candidate and no2 for the poll topper who passed the quota on the 1st count, what happens to your vote when your no.1 is eliminated on the first count? Is your no.3 preference used or your vote is gone?

2. Am I right in thinking that the surplus votes are selected at random so you have a very high chance your other preferences won’t be used if you vote no.1 for a runaway poll topper?
                                                                                                                1. Yes, it will always go to 'next available selection' even if that means skipping from #1 to #12, its fairly straightforward.

2. This is more complex. If someone is elected on the first count then its indeed a random selection of surplus votes. So yes if you vote for someone who scrapes a surplus then there's a very good chance your vote isn't selected. If they get double quota then obviously its a 50/50 chance etc.
                                                                                                                Its gets even trickier on later counts - surpluses are now only selected from the batch of votes which got someone over the line so lots of other factors come into play which move it beyond random.

Comment

Are you sure AJ? I thought surpluses were distributed proportionally for the first surplus?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                    1. Yes, it will always go to 'next available selection' even if that means skipping from #1 to #12, its fairly straightforward.

2. This is more complex. If someone is elected on the first count then its indeed a random selection of surplus votes. So yes if you vote for someone who scrapes a surplus then there's a very good chance your vote isn't selected. If they get double quota then obviously its a 50/50 chance etc.
                                                                                                                    Its gets even trickier on later counts - surpluses are now only selected from the batch of votes which got someone over the line so lots of other factors come into play which move it beyond random.
                                                                                                                    Just the man I was hoping for, thanks.

Surely the random nature of surplus selection has influenced many results down the years so. I wonder when electronic voting was on the cards were they planning on using the proportional preferences of the entire population of votes instead of a random selection?

Comment

Are you sure AJ? I thought surpluses were distributed proportionally for the first surplus?
                                                                                                                      Actually yes this is correct. It's proportional across all votes on the first count.
                                                                                                                      On subsequent counts it's only the votes which were counted beyond the quota which are redistributed.

I've severe deja vu on being wrong about this on the bbv a few years ago as well, in pretty identical fashion. Must stop thinking I understand it.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                          Was hopeful of that when I saw no tour dates.

Live stuff is phenomenal alright. Where have you seen them? Went to Vicar St myself few years back and it was a cracker.
                                                                                                                          They’ve been posting pics from studio online also
                                                                                                                          Saw them in London, Amsterdam and at forbidden fruit last year, sound was amazing at first 2, less so at the outdoor gig (FF) but that seems standard with outdoor gigs, was still amazing when you close to stage but shite if you were back a bit, pretty sure they dampened the sound too prob cos of residents nearby

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X