Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Blade Runner is fairly unrecognisable compared to the book so don't worry about having seen that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        I think most people have heard the Freakonomics ideas at this stage though so lacks the surprise factor. Lolita is a fantastic book, but perhaps a questionable discussion topic?!
        Nothing's really off limits in my workplace, we're not like that, unless you're around the few older people. Although one of the girls in the club, we were talking about strap-ons in the canteen one day and she just had no concept of what that even was, and was asking what was it strapped on to etc.
        Originally posted by brady23 View Post
        Thoughts on Philip K Dicks books? I haven't read any yet but I'm watching The Man in the High Castle at the minute and I think the concept is very good.

I know alot of his stuff has been used on the screen, I assume Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep & The Man in the High Castle are the ones to read first?
        Ubik is held in high regard too
        Read them. He's the kind of writer that everybody has a different favourite.
        Originally posted by Keane View Post
        Blade Runner is fairly unrecognisable compared to the book so don't worry about having seen that.
        On that note, if anybody has not seen it, feckin' watch it.

Comment

Ten Crimes - Tri Thu
          Very nice!
          phương pháp trị sẹo rỗ

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-12-18, 01:10.

Comment

I read The Power of Habit a couple of weeks ago. It's a pretty easy read: Cue->Routine->Reward for a feedback loop builds a habit. Although interesting in parts, I didn't find myself looking to read another of a similar type.

However, I was flicking on Twitter and saw Shane Parrish, the guy who presents the Farnam St podcast put up "What's your best book of 2018?" and it seems so many people mentioned James Clear Atomic Habits, similar idea that appears really well received.
              Seems like a pre apt one leading into the new year

Comment

Comment

I haven't been interested in listening to audiobooks in the car over the past week or so because I've had really early starts and awful weather mean it's harder to concentrate so I haven't made much progress there.

I'm reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray, he was pretty impressive as the intermediary during the Peterson & Harris debate. He's an editor at the Spectator so it's pretty right wing as you might expect but it's interesting to read his take.

It's probably not for everyone but he's a decent writer so maybe worth a read.

Comment

If you had the time could you recommend some philosophy and/or psychology books?
                    I've been trying to think of / remember books to recommend and I can't. Nothing I read in psychology these days would be of interest to non-therapists, and I can't remember the last time I read anything of a philosophy nature.

Mostly I feel humbled and slightly ashamed seeing how much reading material you're all getting through here. I don't think I have finished a book in over a year, with 3 chapters probably the mean.

Comment

Hotspur, I was thinking about your post about Sapiens lately. I have been listening to Will Durant's 'Our Oriental Heritage' on audible for a few weeks and am looking forward to finishing it.

Despite the obvious fact that it's well written, thorough and full of interesting information I find it very hard to engage with. I think Sapiens is a book of a similar style and I loved that but the difference being that I read it.

I wonder if this sort of long and comprehensive history without any particular narrative is just not well suited to the audiobook form somehow.

Comment

Also:

Apple recently released a series of six audiobooks that have been narrated by celebrities that include Kate Beckinsale and Kelsey Grammer, making them available to Apple Books users for free.

The titles are all in the public domain, but are unique because of their celebrity narrations. A list of available titles is below:
                        Pride and Prejudice, written by Jane Austen and narrated by actress Kate Beckinsale
                        The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum and narrated by comedian Tituss Burgess
                        The Secret Garden, written by Frances Hodgson Burnett and narrated by actress Karen Gillian
                        The Time Machine, written by H.G. Wells and narrated by actor Kelsey Grammer
                        Frankenstein, written by Mary Shelley and narrated by podcaster Aaron Mahnke
                        Winnie the Pooh, narrated by the Disney Book Group
                        Apple recently released a series of six audiobooks that have been narrated by celebrities that include Kate Beckinsale and Kelsey Grammer, making...

Comment

Hotspur, I was thinking about your post about Sapiens lately. I have been listening to Will Durant's 'Our Oriental Heritage' on audible for a few weeks and am looking forward to finishing it.

I wonder if this sort of long and comprehensive history without any particular narrative is just not well suited to the audiobook form somehow.
                          Very possible. The most outstanding example I have come across of a discrepancy between the experience of listening to an audio book and reading it is one I mentioned here at the time - A confederacy of Dunces. Listening to it I thought it wasn't that good, then reading it I thought it was the funniest book I have ever read.

Speaking of Will Durant and recommending philosophy books I really liked reading his book The Story of Philosophy many years ago.

Comment

It seems hard to fully grasp the difference in experience. I am finding that I am retaining less from audio books, but I get through so much more material, maybe that is why.
                            Retaining isn't the best word, being able to conjure forth the book in my mind is harder. I think I perhaps pause after reading things more often to think about what I have read, but never pause an audiobook to do similarly. I also will often reread sentences a few times which would be horrendous to do so on audio books.

I think listening works better for podcasts and discussions, as speech is less thoroughly thought out, edited and so on, with more vacuousness. To that end I've started listening to the Four Horseman, Noam Chomsky etc but it seems like I am just listening to things I mostly agree with trying to find grains of usefulness amongst a throng of common sense being bashed against some imbecilic position, or indeed succumb to my stronger desire to find things to disagree with. Not sure where I am going with this, maybe if I listened instead...
                            Anyway, I'm not far in yet and will try to engage with it more and I'm just watching youtube snippets of stuff. I'd like to read some Chomsky since my brother thinks the world of him.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-12-18, 14:31.

Comment

I agree with the podcasts and discussions aspect for sure Tar. I find following podcasts on topics I find relatively complex far easier to follow than listening to an audiobook that is probably less complex.

I have actually returned a few audiobooks recently like a couple of philosophy books for example because I found it so easy to get lost in the semantics.

I've replaced them with a couple of Michael Lewis and that Atomic Habits book.
                              Overall I think audiobooks are better suited to fiction, for me at least.

Comment

I tried a few weeks ago to read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius but I don't know if it was the formatting or something on the Kindle version but it was making my eyes bleed. I gave the audible version a spin this morning and now my ears are bleeding.

I think this book might be best consumed via the bitesized motivational quotes of some arsehole blogger on Medium.

Comment

I tried a few weeks ago to read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius but I don't know if it was the formatting or something on the Kindle version but it was making my eyes bleed. I gave the audible version a spin this morning and now my ears are bleeding.

I think this book might be best consumed via the bitesized motivational quotes of some arsehole blogger on Medium.
                                  Clearly you know your stuff Keane, I have this and it's exactly what you suggested:

Along with Seneca & Epictetus, I listened to Ryan Holidays podcast on Farnam St and he said the version of Marcus Aurelius is very important, he suggested the best version but I can't remember, the podcast links this version so assuming that's it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/08129682...&creative=9325

Comment

Clearly you know your stuff Keane, I have this and it's exactly what you suggested:

Along with Seneca & Epictetus, I listened to Ryan Holidays podcast on Farnam St and he said the version of Marcus Aurelius is very important, he suggested the best version but I can't remember, the podcast links this version so assuming that's it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/08129682...&creative=9325
                                    Thanks, I decided to spring for the 44p because I don't think I'm going to be able to get anything out of the version I have and I'd hate to just abandon it full stop.

Comment

Comment

Comment

AI books might make an appearance
                                          Army of none, which I've added to my wishlist on good reads is about AI in warfare and made Bill Gates top 5 books of the year fwiw

Comment

AI books might make an appearance
                                            I think I read a few AI books in the incorrect order. I'm about to finish Algorithms to Live By which is more advanced than Weapons of Math Destruction but far less complicated than Superintelligence.

I think it's a topic(philosophy is similar) where the order of the material is really important to getting the most out of them.

I think the Beginning of Infinity will be in your Top 3 this time next year.

Comment

Comment

This is one for you Hitch.

Going to chunk through this over Xmas.
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Looking back on 2018

2018 was a good reading year in lots of ways - chief among them the discovery of Goodreads which has enhanced the quality of my reading list significantly. I have also benefited from some great recommendations both on here and from the IPB group on Goodreads. So thanks to you all for those.

Overall I read something slightly in excess of 100 books in 2018. For the first time in a good long time, I read some non-fiction. Around 20% of the total which was pleasing. I sometimes feel like reading purely for pleasure is a somewhat hedonistic choice.

The highlights of the year in books were
                                                  1. Barbara Nadel's Cetin Ikmen series of murder mysteries set in Istanbul - both atmospheric and enjoyable. The first couple were slow burners but the series developed well thereafter.
                                                  2. Alain De Botton - really enjoyed all of the work of his I read
                                                  3. A Mind at Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age is I think possibly the best thing I read this year - its a rare consideration of the work of a true polymath and well worth reading for anyone with an interest in any of the fields impacted by Shannon.
                                                  4 The Void series by Peter F Hamilton was the Sci-Fi read of the year for me. That said I find his books consistently well written with well drawn and engaging characters.
                                                  5 John Connolly "The Woman in the Woods" is the remaining book I feel I should mention. In the Charlie Parker series he has created one of my favourite detectives and for me as a reader the most engaging and well-written series I have come across. This book is probably best appreciated in the contest of the series but I enjoyed it immensely a classic page turner as indeed most of them are.

Disappointments included in no particular order
                                                  Jasper Fforde - Thursday Next series, I liked the premise but it got tired remarkably quickly.
                                                  James Patterson - for such a prolific author I found the books of his I read astoundingly irritating - they were all from the Private Series so maybe it's just those.
                                                  Ian Rankins latest Rebus stories - I feel like John Rebus would have been better off retired - these added nothing to the cycle for me and felt a bit like a mercenary exercise in capitalising on readers sense of loss on the retirement of a great character more than anything else.

Honourable mention to
                                                  Caro Feely series describing her family's purchase of a vineyard in France and the challenges they face thereafter - if you've ever entertained the thought of purchasing a vineyard or you know someone who has - these are the solution.

Bruno Chief of police series by Martin Walker - these are a nice set of procedurals set in the Perigord area of France. They are just a nice comfortable read nothing demanding but pleasurable in their way.

I hadn't really intended to read quite so much this year, I'm not sure I will in other years. This year's reading has seemed at times excessive, I often read fiction as a way to let other ideas percolate and there was an unusually large demand for that function in 2018. I admire the amount of non-fiction many of you seem to read it has influenced my reading for the better this year I think, though I'm not sure I could happily consume it other than as a small portion of my reading list.

Thanks for all your recommendations and updates during the year - I hope you find wonderful books to read and to share in 2019.
                                                  Last edited by Western_Sean; 29-12-18, 15:49. Reason: Typos

Comment

Great write-up Sean, I'm planning on doing something similar tomorrow.

In the meantime, has Goodreads removed the ability to update your 'Currently Reading' books from the left-hand side of the main page for everyone? Very annoying removal of a feature for me anyway!

Comment

Comment

I've added that too. I won't add a top 5 this year as I'd rather have read a few more tbh but I guess 35 non-fiction in the midst of a busy year isn't too bad.

Currently working my way through The Fifth Risk & Spoilt Rotten by Theodore Dalrymple which Denny will be delighted with I'm sure.

It feels odd reading it because intuitively it feels so applicable to society and my personal experience yet some loosely attributable objective measures such as Flynn Effect for IQ or case studies of the positive impact of additional welfare suggest that he's largely misguided.

Also, I thought Douglas Murray's Strange Death of Europe was quite good, I think it's an interesting insight into the immigration crisis in Europe.
                                                        Its a relatively malignant topic in many respects and told from the perspective of an editor for a Right Wing publication so it may not be to everyone's taste but it's worth a read imo.

Comment

In the meantime, has Goodreads removed the ability to update your 'Currently Reading' books from the left-hand side of the main page for everyone? Very annoying removal of a feature for me anyway!
                                                          This happily appears to have been a temporary blip.

Comment

Comment

I really fell off the wagon both in quality and quantity in what I was reading. One thing I have to get better at is giving up on books, I've a really busy year ahead so really have to be ruthless about what I read. Gonna take a look later and try to do a top 5.

Comment

Thanks for Keane and everyone else, Goodreads has been so useful.

Comment

I started Leviathan Wakes last night and suddenly found myself 20% through it which is a fair chunk out of 561 pages.

First time in a long time I've been so gripped from the opening page of a sci-fi novel. Perhaps part of that is due to having seen season 1 of the Expanse so found it easier to visualise, but the opening line in particular is a ripper:

The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
                                                                  The plot fairly screams along and the chapters jump between POVs in a very episodic way with a little cliff-hanger between each. Excellent read so far.

Comment

I have a copy of Options Futures & Other Derivatives by Hull which is used ubiquitously in finance courses. I'm only offering it up as the newer version is ÂŁ200 and although there are newer versions for PDF online, I found it handy to have the hard copy. The content is the same but chapters jumbled up essentially.
                                                                    If anyone knows of someone that would use it, probably final year or MSc but it would be a shame to go to waste.
                                                                    Obviously I don't want anything for it, 5th Edition I think

Comment

Comment

Someone doing FRM maybe. Its core learning for FRM.
                                                                        True, I think Poprock mentioned he was interested when I asked V4V about FRM vs CFA from his side.

Comment

If you don't find someone that has an academic use for it I'd be interested, I can't help feeling a little shame for never having read it!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            If you don't find someone that has an academic use for it I'd be interested, I can't help feeling a little shame for never having read it!
                                                                            I don't know anyone anyway so you can have it. I assume you don't be out near the Blanchardstown area too often?

Comment

This thread has inspired me to get back reading after a barren couple of years in that department. Got The Fifth Risk and Factfulness as Christmas gifts based on recommendations in here. Really enjoy Michael Lewis books and this one isn't letting me down so far. Must join this Goodreads group as well.

Comment

Got given Lolita for xmas, looking forward to it. Maybe I will use it for the book club after all heh.

I started Leviathan Wakes last night and suddenly found myself 20% through it which is a fair chunk out of 561 pages.

First time in a long time I've been so gripped from the opening page of a sci-fi novel. Perhaps part of that is due to having seen season 1 of the Expanse so found it easier to visualise, but the opening line in particular is a ripper:

The plot fairly screams along and the chapters jump between POVs in a very episodic way with a little cliff-hanger between each. Excellent read so far.
                                                                                Really must read that as I enjoy the expanse series a lot, after the shaky start.

Comment

I don't know anyone anyway so you can have it. I assume you don't be out near the Blanchardstown area too often?
                                                                                  Class. Not really, usually in the city centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    Class. Not really, usually in the city centre.
                                                                                    I'll give you a shout some day I'm going into the city and see if you're around.

Almost finished A Man Called Ove & The Fifth Risk.
                                                                                    So I decided that I don't know nearly enough about Irish History so I did some research and I've settled on RF Fosters Modern Ireland which I've started and JC Becketts The Making of Modern Ireland. They finish at different times but both start at the beginning of the 17th century.
                                                                                    The former is interesting thus far, there's just a depth to the book that feels different to other non-fictions, whereby others have the value of objective data while this has the value of real experience.
                                                                                    I'm really enjoying it, it feels a little more like a journey that simply a collection of facts.

Comment

Further to my progress through Ulysses i've just under 100 pages to go.

The second last chapter, Ithaca, takes the form of 309 questions and answers in the style of a catechism and contains one of the most remarkable passages i've ever read: Bloom proceeds to make cocoa for himself and Stephen Daedalus at his home around 2am.

A kettle sits on the range. Bloom picks it up, turns on the tap to fill the kettle and the narrator asks:

“What in water did Bloom, waterlover, drawer of water, watercarrier, returning to the range, admire?

The answer is breathtaking.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                            Further to my progress through Ulysses i've just under 100 pages to go.

The second last chapter, Ithaca, takes the form of 309 questions and answers in the style of a catechism and contains one of the most remarkable passages i've ever read: Bloom proceeds to make cocoa for himself and Stephen Daedalus at his home around 2am.

A kettle sits on the range. Bloom picks it up, turns on the tap to fill the kettle and the narrator asks:

“What in water did Bloom, waterlover, drawer of water, watercarrier, returning to the range, admire?

The answer is breathtaking.
                                                                                            Now I can see where O'Briens De Selby comes from

Comment

Thoughts on A Man Called Ove? A bit too touchy-feely or a beautifully moving story?!

Finished the second of his Beartown duo of books last night. Time to move onto something involving things been shot at and car chases and down-on-their-luck detectives.
                                                                                              I listened to a podcast a while back that I've mentioned before with Patrick Collison.
                                                                                              A lot of conversation revolved around books but the host asked him about how he likes to run and Collison corrects him with "I don't really like to run but I know it's good for me".That has largely been my approach to reading.
                                                                                              That leads me to A Man called Ove, I think it's one of the most enjoyable books I've read where I've been genuinely so eager to get back to it. I have a couple of chapters left but it's brilliant, I think adding in more fiction and reading for enjoyment is well worth it so I've bought quite a few since I picked it up.

Also, I finished the Fifth Risk which was quite good, I'm not particularly well versed in American Politics though but still enjoyable, I've started listening to The Undoing Project which I know you like, I thought after reading Thinking Fast & Slow, I didn't think it was worth reading but I was completely wrong, it's excellent, Tversky seems like a Feynman type character.

Continuing my tight student ways, Guns Germs & Steel and Leonard Mlodinow's Elastic both 0.99p in Kindle Store today
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 10-01-19, 10:16.

Comment

Still finding the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius very tedious going in spite of the definitely superior version brady recommended here but in fairness there are some immense lines in it every now and again.

For example came upon this one last night having just been thinking about good habits of which early rising is always the most aspirational for me.

In the morning when thou risest unwillingly, let this thought be present - I am rising to the work of a human being. Why then am I dissatisfied if I am going to do the things for which I exist and for which I was brought into the world?

Comment

I am still reading too many books at once. I really need to focus on eliminating this habit. I'm actively reading six books at the moment with two more half-finished on the back-burner.

I actually don't mind having loads on the go at a time of itself, but it's annoying me a lot in the last week for the simple reason that I am finding myself without enough time to read Leviathan Wakes. I'm just past 55% now and I really haven't enjoyed the sheer act of page-turning so much in a very long time.

I really hope the rest of the series maintains this level, I can see myself getting really hooked on these if it does.

Comment

The Hod King is out on Tuesday, for anyone who enjoyed Senlin Ascends and the other one.

Comment

I've been struggling to do a "Best of '18" post but for the pleasant reason that I read too many books I really liked.

I ended up getting through 60 books which I previously would have thought impossible, even if the majority were on Audible. The final tally was 23 books on paper (or Kindle), 37 on Audible. Towards the end of the year my rate of paper reading increased dramatically, and I'm hoping to reverse the proportion of reading:listening in 2019.

The split was 18 non-fiction to 42 fiction. I'm happy enough with that but I can see it being a bit closer in 2019 as I've started to enjoy non-fiction a bit more and started to not bother reading full series as much too.

I would find it hard to pick a top three in non-fiction so instead here is a list of books I rated highly:

The Bloodied Field - 4*

Award-winning journalist and author Michael Foley recounts the extraordinary story of Bloody Sunday in Croke Park and the 90 seconds of shooting that changed Irish history forever. In a deeply intimate portrait he tells for the first time the stories of those killed, the police and military that were in Croke Park that day, and the families left shattered in its aftermath, all against the backdrop of a fierce conflict that stretched from the streets of Dublin and the hedgerows of Tipperary to the halls of Westminster.
                                                                                                      Sapiens - 4*

No need to give description here.

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly - 4*

New York Chef Tony Bourdain gives away secrets of the trade in his wickedly funny, inspiring memoir/expose.
                                                                                                      Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think - 5*

Again probably no description required.

An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor - 5*

The story of the remarkable Tom Crean who ran away to sea aged 15 and played a memorable role in Antarctic exploration. He spent more time in the unexplored Antarctic than Scott or Shackleton, and outlived both. An unforgettable story of triumph over unparalleled hardship and deprivation.
                                                                                                      Occasionally patchy writing but an outstanding story.

A Man on the Moon - 5*

On the night of July 20, 1969, our world changed forever when two Americans, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, walked on the moon. Now the greatest event of the twentieth century is magnificently retold through the eyes and ears of the people who were there. Based on the interviews with twentythree moon voyagers, as well as those who struggled to get the program moving, journalist Andrew Chaikin conveys every aspect of the missions with breathtaking immediacy: from the rush of liftoff, to the heartstopping lunar touchdown, to the final hurdle of reentry.
                                                                                                      Probably the best book I read all year, and probably better than anything I read last year. Really couldn't recommend this enough.

In the realms of fiction I most enjoyed the following:

The Arm of the Sphinx (Senlin Ascends follow-up)
                                                                                                      The Broken Earth trilogy
                                                                                                      Endymion
                                                                                                      The Dresden Files series
                                                                                                      The City & the City
                                                                                                      Return of the Crimson Guard

If '19 is as good a year I will be very happy.

Comment

By the way, having read back over the year's worth of posts, undoubted line of 2018 is Tar's description of Shantaram:

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        Self-aggrandizing pseudo philosophical aphorism nonsense written by a wanker.

Comment

.....time to read Leviathan Wakes. I'm just past 55% now and I really haven't enjoyed the sheer act of page-turning so much in a very long time.

I really hope the rest of the series maintains this level, I can see myself getting really hooked on these if it does.
                                                                                                          Great recommendation - really enjoying this.

Comment

I read a few excellent books recently.

Poilu - A diary of a private from WW1. He somehow managed to survive all of the big battles and left an excellent diary behind. The quality of the writing is extraordinary, and its fascinating seeing the story of the war unfolding from the ground level.

Dispatches by Michael Herr - I read this every few years. More poetry than prose. It served as inspiration for Full Metal Jacket. I've read a lot of books on war and I think this is the best. I often think of the marines stranded at Khe Sanh - a huge siege and battle in a place that served no tactical or strategic purpose to the US.

On a lighter note - Eva Luna by Isabel Allende. A brilliant story told brilliantly of a young girls life set to the stage of the events that happened to Chile in the 70's and 80's. The most compelling novel I've read in years.

Meet New York Times bestselling author Isabel Allende’s…

Comment

Currently reading I an Pilgrim. Really enjoying it 13 chapter in. I read about 2 chapters a day. Very good so far.

Comment

What Book Are You Reading?

So after seven months I finished Ulysses this morning on the 123 bus through Drimnagh, Hybreasal, James St, Thomas St, High St, Lord Edward St, Cork Hill, Dame Street and College Green at the start of an other ordinary (yet extraordinary) day.

The final furlong - 'Chapter' 18, Molly Bloom's soliloquy or more formally known as 'Penelope' - runs to 40-odd pages with no punctuation, just eight breathless sentences (apparently representing infinity as well as a buxom Molly lying on her side in bed trying not to fart on her husband and wondering alternately why life was so great and shit at the same time expressed as both a dreamer and a realist at the same time).

Anyway, it was the final overwhelming crescendo in the tidal wave of progressive modern thinking (and writing) that Joyce intended this book to be.

The back cover on the copy i have describes reading Ulysses as 'a life-changing experience' and it was.

I really can't recommend it highly enough, particularly if you’re invested in Dublin in any way.

It has definitely changed my life on many levels and i suspect i'll be reading it or about it at all times for the rest of my life.

yes

Ps... Chapter 17 (Ithaca) was my favourite (and Joyce's too possibly). Done is the style of a catechism (309 questions followed by answers) it reminded me that many of the people who i think are really erudite, including all too often myself, really aren't.

yes i said yes
                                                                                                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-02-19, 08:32.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading your Ulysses updates benny, cheers

Comment

I'm guessing Keane is the most likely to have read Rick Riordans Heroes of Olympus series, if so, any thoughts? I saw them pop up when flicking through after finishing Mythos which I liked, perhaps a tad long but still enjoyable.
                                                                                                                    On Mythos, Stephen Fry made an appearance on Sam Harris podcast this week, lovely guy it seems, he had a great analogy about thinking really hard so that the thought slips away, it's like squeezing a wet salmon, sounds weird but it was very witty.
                                                                                                                    Sam Harris speaks with Stephen Fry about comedy, atheism, political correctness, meditation, ambition, empathy, psychedelics, Christopher Hitchens, Stephen’s experience of manic depression, and much else.

Comment

I'm guessing Keane is the most likely to have read Rick Riordans Heroes of Olympus series, if so, any thoughts? I saw them pop up when flicking through after finishing Mythos which I liked, perhaps a tad long but still enjoyable.
                                                                                                                      On Mythos, Stephen Fry made an appearance on Sam Harris podcast this week, lovely guy it seems, he had a great analogy about thinking really hard so that the thought slips away, it's like squeezing a wet salmon, sounds weird but it was very witty.
                                                                                                                      https://samharris.org/podcasts/147-stephen-fry/
                                                                                                                      Haven't read it I'm afraid.

There is a very enjoyable series called something like 'Fry In America' on Netflix where, unsurprisingly, Stephen Fry travels around America. I would recommend it. He does seem to be quite a gem.

Comment

In a display of intense self-restraint I find myself down to actively reading just four books with one more on the back burner. This is probably as low as I will ever get as it includes one audiobook, one hardcover (trying to keep one physical book on the go at a time), one fiction on the kindle and one non-fiction on the kindle.

I have had a fairly ridiculously productive 2019 so far from the POV of reading having finished eleven books so far. Pleasingly, seven of them have been read rather than listened to.

On the fiction side I have enjoyed Don Quixote, Leviathan Wakes and Stonewielder a lot.

Don Quixote is very funny and quite touching at different stages. It's easy to see why it is considered a classic.

Leviathan Wakes (basis for The Expanse TV show) is the best sci-fi I have read in a good while. It tails off a bit towards the end but I will more than likely try the second book before too long.

Stonewielder is another Esselmont Malazan book. Another very good addition to the mythos. I have always followed along with the Tor re-read when reading Malazan books as they are very dense and the authors don't hold your hand in the least, the chapter summaries and discussions here help make sure you don't miss anything interesting. I have found these increasingly tilting since I started reading the Esselmont books as the woman who is the 'first-time reader' of the series has obviously been told Esselmont isn't as good as Erikson in advance and spends all her time making remedial level comments on trivial issues she has with the writing. In my eyes Esselmont is superior to the vast majority in the fantasy genre despite the fact that he doesn't match up to the peerless Erikson.

Anyway, another great read - looking forward to the rest.

I'll do an update on the non-fiction - of which there's a considerable chunk - I have been reading later.

Comment

Started the Night Manager the other night. Fell asleep within a few pages - my own exhaustion not a review on chapter 1.

Still have to finished John Kavanaghs auto-biography. I left a plane halfway through, but the GF replaced it for me. But still aitting idle.

Also contemplation the "Boiled Leather" combined read through for A Frast of Crows and A dance with Dragon. I've read both before, but the combined read has all chapters in chronological order - so required switch between books as you go

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X