Old 14-09-18, 16:25   #41421
RichieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
You're assuming that 40% of those 9891 people in Ireland
1. want to live in Dublin
2. want to live in those particular places in Dublin
3. will be accepted in those areas in Dublin they are being moved to
You are assuming that just because 5 generations lived within 100 meters of each other that this generation won’t be able to navigate the bus routes to go a few miles to visit.

Will the parents be accepted into the new community. Depends on if they are someone who needs the support because life gave them a shitty roll but do try to contribute or they are a total scrote. In Lazares case previous tenants or current tenant.

If they are shitty people than only a shitty community will accept them. Best to break those communities up for the kids sake. Obviously serious nimbyism would come into play if they were my neighbours.
RichieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 16:44   #41422
ghostface
Drunken assault fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
It seems like training up and/or hiring a shitload of people for ABP would be the ultimate bang for buck measure!
During the old celtic tiger they hired a load of scottish inspectors who got paid mileage/expenses from the moment they left their door in Scotland until they had carried out their reports here and back. They were getting paid silly money
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 16:47   #41423
Raoul Duke III
The King

Chairman Lao and the Zod Equivalency.

It has been a good day's work.
Old 14-09-18, 17:15   #41424
Strewelpeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
Eoghan Murphy... has said that any state lands used for housing developments must be 40% affordable housing, Why only 40% if this is state land? Why not 100%

".
so you would prefer that all people who qualify for social and affordable housing people are grouped together in high density low developments out of sight of the others.

It's shocking how prelevant that kind of thinking is amongst supposed progressives.
Old 14-09-18, 17:15   #41425
RichieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips1234 View Post
making a list of things i want sent from home so far ive got

chicken/oxtail cup of soups
mega meanies
monster munch
waffles
tea bags
club milks
hunky dorys buffalo
rich tea biscuits
pot noodles

what am i missing that can be sent through the post ? im sure im missing lots of stuff king/tayto prob obv but not fussed about them.
Outside of tea that is a list of things I would leave Ireland to avoid consuming. Where in the world have you gone to that the food is so bad that a pot noodle seems like a step up.
Old 14-09-18, 17:24   #41426
Strewelpeter

as it happens I've just been chatting to an estate agent about this and about mixed developments and talking specifically about a late 50's council development where one end of the road, exact same build, was whatever council purchase scheme was running at the time and the other end was all whatever they called social housing. 60 years on and despite the far end mostly having been sold to the tenants he still sees a min 15% difference between one end and the other.

Not sure what that tells us about mixed developments.
Old 14-09-18, 17:26   #41427
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by V for Vendetta View Post
Describing the illegal occupation of someone else's property as seizing is over dramatic? What alternative facts are you presenting Chairman Lao?

Ah sure the lads were only having a laugh and temporarily denying access to other peoples vacant property because they are working for a noble cause like...

I think the Venezuelan government used the same argument with Smurfit Kappa in Venezuela, where the staff were happy to stay coming to work merely because there was affordable food in the canteen.

I'm just poking a bit of fun at Brian above
I appreciate you poking fun at me

Maybe I should have been more elaborate and stated that your entire post comparing a bunch of stutents occupying a derilict house that has been abadoned for several years to Venezuela was way over dramatic rather than limiting to just your use of the word "seizing"

Quote:
My post was actually about the promotion of the idea that the state should in some way compel the owners of vacant sites to use them in a certain way or hand them over. The details of the current protesters and their methods are just noise and distraction. I agree with the idea of a vacancy tax and a compulsion to maintain property and a significant increase in property taxes to encourage downsizing and to dampen down the urban property markets.

BUT if the state wants to acquire properties let them pay for them, any other approach is dangerous fantasy.
You've obviously missed the demands of the group. They are not looking for the state to just take them off the owner with no financial compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Times 8/8/2018
In a statement Dublin Central Housing Action said the protest was demanding local authorities enact compulsory purchase orders to buy vacant homes for social housing, and that the Government undertake “massive immediate investment in public housing on public land.”
Quote:
Of course that will distort the market for the people trying to look after themselves. Therefore the state has to address the supply side for both the homeless folk and the regular working people trying to put a roof over their own heads.
Couldn't agree more with this

Quote:
This takes time, planning and a broader housing solution. Could it be done quicker? Yes. Are there any votes in working to reduce planning delays and/or addressing bottlenecks in the system? Currently No, because the people concerned about the homeless don't seem to vote for parties/individuals who are making sensible incremental progress but the advocates of simple to chant solutions...It's depressing really as there are so many poverty traps and stupid dead ends being promoted at present that merely treat the symptoms but won't cure the patient.
I agree re time, planning and a broader solution but as mentioned before, there has been no action for years and it has been allowed to get to an absolute crisis point due to lack of political will.

The voting patterns you mention is a big generalisation. The accents from the people who were at the march on Wednesday suggest that the people involved are from a very wide spectrum on the socio-economic landscape and they certainly weren't all Shinners/PBP or certainly not from that background but may be starting to lean that way due to inaction by the parties you claim are making sensible incremental progress.

Quote:
By the way the economy is going very well, unemployment has fallen significantly and we still can't balance the books. We have the highest level of debt per capita in the EU and Brexit is around the corner. We have a rollercoaster of boom and bust ahead of us for years to come because we continue to repeat the same mistakes. Wait until interest rates rise and our biggest export market is in a recession....
I agree with most of this also and I'm extremely lucky in that I was never really effected by the downturn (as many others weren't either) but the improved economy hasn't floated all boats and the people who need it most have been completely left behind.

I've been running a soup run for the last 32 months and was volunterring at another one for six months before that. Some of the things that I have seen/heard over that time...I've lost count at the amount of times that I've come home from it and broke down crying.

I'm not directing this at you presonally, but I really don't think the vast majority of people know just how bad some people have it at the minute.
Lao Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 17:26   #41428
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Yeah, outside of the very occasional tea don't think I've consumed any of that in at least a decade

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 17:28   #41429
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
Chairman Lao and the Zod Equivalency.

It has been a good day's work.
Watch your lip, or I'll have Eoghan line you up against the wall
Thanks From:
Old 14-09-18, 17:52   #41430
RichieM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Lao View Post
I appreciate you poking fun at me

Maybe I should have been more elaborate and stated that your entire post comparing a bunch of stutents occupying a derilict house that has been abadoned for several years to Venezuela was way over dramatic rather than limiting to just your use of the word "seizing"

You've obviously missed the demands of the group. They are not looking for the state to just take them off the owner with no financial compensation.

Couldn't agree more with this

I agree re time, planning and a broader solution but as mentioned before, there has been no action for years and it has been allowed to get to an absolute crisis point due to lack of political will.

The voting patterns you mention is a big generalisation. The accents from the people who were at the march on Wednesday suggest that the people involved are from a very wide spectrum on the socio-economic landscape and they certainly weren't all Shinners/PBP or certainly not from that background but may be starting to lean that way due to inaction by the parties you claim are making sensible incremental progress.

I agree with most of this also and I'm extremely lucky in that I was never really effected by the downturn (as many others weren't either) but the improved economy hasn't floated all boats and the people who need it most have been completely left behind.

I've been running a soup run for the last 32 months and was volunterring at another one for six months before that. Some of the things that I have seen/heard over that time...I've lost count at the amount of times that I've come home from it and broke down crying.

I'm not directing this at you presonally, but I really don't think the vast majority of people know just how bad some people have it at the minute.
I don’t think anyone is doubting that. The reason why someone is at a soup kitchen may be in the same realm as the property discussion but they are not exactly the same.

There are a lot of working poor who can just afford rent/mortgage with nothing left over for food. Leo’s get out of bed brigade.

They don’t want a free house but donwant the minimum wage increased, zero hours contracts gone and whatever else will allow them to get enough coming in to live in Dublin - anything but stop try to work their way out that is.

Should they have better supports - yes, Will opening up vacants help them in this points - no.

Obv unemployed and homeless use soup kitchens but they are more secure than those right at the bottom of the working ladder.
Old 14-09-18, 17:57   #41431
chips1234
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieM View Post
Outside of tea that is a list of things I would leave Ireland to avoid consuming. Where in the world have you gone to that the food is so bad that a pot noodle seems like a step up.
im in croatia, food is actually pretty decent here, the list is more of a snack/shit junk food stuff that i cant get here and want basically.
Old 14-09-18, 18:11   #41432
Lao Lao

Quote:
I don’t think anyone is doubting that. The reason why someone is at a soup kitchen may be in the same realm as the property discussion but they are not exactly the same.

There are a lot of working poor who can just afford rent/mortgage with nothing left over for food. Leo’s get out of bed brigade.

They don’t want a free house but donwant the minimum wage increased, zero hours contracts gone and whatever else will allow them to get enough coming in to live in Dublin - anything but stop try to work their way out that is.

Should they have better supports - yes, Will opening up vacants help them in this points - no.
I don't mean this to sound smart, but you've totally lost me here and I don't think you understand the soup run / homelessness situation/connection.

There are several soup runs in the city now on a nightly basis and they have all been formed in direct response to the homeless crisis.

Quote:
Obv unemployed and homeless use soup kitchens but they are more secure than those right at the bottom of the working ladder.
How are homeless people more secure than those right at the bottom on the working ladder?
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-09-18, 18:35   #41433
RichieM

Quote:
I don't mean this to sound smart, but you've totally lost me here and I don't think you understand the soup run / homelessness situation/connection.

There are several soup runs in the city now on a nightly basis and they have all been formed in direct response to the homeless crisis.

How are homeless people more secure than those right at the bottom on the working ladder?
Pretty sleep deprived, ignore me - I read my own post and disagreed

I think I was trying to say that people who are not homeless use the soup kitchens but not sure how I was getting to a point where that is anything but worse
Old 14-09-18, 18:49   #41434
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Pretty sleep deprived, ignore me - I read my own post and disagreed

I think I was trying to say that people who are not homeless use the soup kitchens but not sure how I was getting to a point where that is anything but worse
Lol sleep deprived for one day. Can't wait to see your posts when you're sleep deprived for 8 months straight
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 19:50   #41435
Raoul Duke III
The King

Confit de canard, pommes sarladaise and asparagus. And a bottle of Margaux.

Mrs DIII was so impressed she's even doing the washing up.
Old 14-09-18, 20:07   #41436
Strewelpeter

Quote:

Does it really help at all to conflate Homelessness with rough sleeping?
Old 14-09-18, 20:20   #41437
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewelpeter View Post
Does it really help at all to conflate Homelessness with rough sleeping?
I don't see them as two separate groups. People who sleep rough are homeless
Old 14-09-18, 20:22   #41438
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Actually on that. A question I've never got around to ever asking despite often wondering it - do homeless people get social welfare payments?
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 20:23   #41439
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
I don't see them as two separate groups. People who sleep rough are homeless
Of the 10k 'only' a few hundred sleep rough. The rest have accommodation. Just not a 'home'.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-18, 20:38   #41440
Mike Bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Of the 10k 'only' a few hundred sleep rough. The rest have accommodation. Just not a 'home'.
I was quite taken aback at the weekend in Westmoreland st. About 30/40 down on their luck types queuing up for food served by some enthusiastic folk. It's certainly escalated since even earlier this year.
Mike Bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker