Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Live Tournaments and Events

Old 09-04-18, 12:41   #1
Vegas Events

Arrow *** IPO 2018. 24th - 29th October, Bonnington Hotel, Dublin ***

Nick O'Hara here, I'm delighted to announce Ireland's favorite Poker event - IPO 2018.
I'll be updating you here and on various other social media platforms with all you'll need to know about this year's IPO.

Please visit the IPO website for more here

The International Poker Open is returning to Dublin for it's 12th time this year. The IPO is one of Europe's longest running annual
Poker Events and draws players from all over Ireland and Europe while also attracting Players from the other four continents

Congratulations to last year's winner, John Bambury from UK who took home a cool 40,260

Check out every IPO winner over the past decade on the Wall of Fame Here

This year's IPO promises to live up to it's reputation as being one of Ireland's largest and most
action-packed Poker Events with fantastic prize money for an affordable buy in

Highlights for IPO 2018

* Main Event Country of the Year - Each Player will score points for their own country

* IPO High Roller - Building on last year's fantastic 92-Player 500 High Roller

* Mini Main - One Day Event which had 200 entries in 2017

The IPO has it's own website with information about the event, Blind Structures,
event schedule, a Wall of Fame and much much more.
www.internationalpokeropen.ie

Main Event Blind Structure

1. Who is running the event (organisation, society etc) - Vegas Events, Nick O'Hara
2. The purpose of the event (charity, commercial etc) - Commercial
3. Date - 24th to 29th October 2018
4. Location - Bonnington Hotel, Drumcondra, Dublin 9, Ireland
5. Any guaranteed prize pool - No
6. Registration and Start time of event - Reg from 12:00, Starts at 2pm
7. Any prerequisites (member of club, society etc) - Sign up to Free Membership on the day (must have valid photo ID)
8. How can tickets be purchased & is there a maximum number (in advance, at the door etc) - Online here, Cash on the day, Credit/Debit Card on the day (3% fee for card transactions) (or via the online client to be announced shortly)
9. Type of Tournament (Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc) - NLH- One Entry & one Re-Entry per Flight
10. Cost of entry - 300
11. How much of the entry fee is made up of registration fee - 40
12. If a rebuy, cost of rebuys/top-up - NA
13. How many and what duration are rebuys available - NA
14. How long is late reg, and will you start with a full stack? Late Reg until start of Level 7. All late players receive a full stack during the late reg period
15. % of entry fee/rebuys/top-up going into prize fund - 97.5%. (The 2.5% is a gratuity for IPO Staff)
16. How many places being paid - Approx 12 to 15%
17. Is any money from the prize fund held back for future tournaments, if so, how much - No
18. Any tickets for future events given out as prizes. If so, how many - No
19. Any additional prizes given out (merchandise etc) - No
20. Starting chips - 30,000
21. Rebuy and top-up chip amounts - NA
22. Blind levels - See image above
23. Blind timeframes - Day 1's - 40 mins, Days 2 & 3 - 50 mins
24. Are there going to be dealers and their level of skill - Yes, Highly Skilled
25. Will there be a documented list of rules - Yes
26. Is there a tournament director - Yes, Nick O'Hara
27. How are disputes handled ; who has final say - TD has Final Say
28. Are there any cash games offered, if so, please outline the rake for each limit offered - Yes, Rake
NLH 1/2 5% Capped @ 14
NLH 1/2/5 5% Capped @ 12
NLH 2/5 5% Capped @ 12
PLO 1/2 5% Capped @ 12
PLO 2/5 5% Capped @ 10
ROE 1/2 5% Capped @ 12
1 Service Charge applies from each pot of 20 or over . The entire 1 is added towards the dealers Tip Pool .

Last edited by Vegas Events; 10-04-18 at 15:11.
Vegas Events is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 10-04-18, 12:29   #2
RossiesAbu

Whats the 5 dealer add on?
RossiesAbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 12:52   #3
dobby

Can you use a button ante? Has worked very well at the party poker events and not too late to change it for the IPO
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 12:59   #4
missedtheflop

some events with standard ante are to be welcomed imo
missedtheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 13:25   #5
Dahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby View Post
Can you use a button ante? Has worked very well at the party poker events and not too late to change it for the IPO
Please use Button ante, so much better
Dahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-04-18, 13:50   #6
JiggerD

+1 for the Button Ante
JiggerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 14:47   #7
MayoPokerTour

Quote:
This.

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry 20. Re-entry 20.
MayoPokerTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 14:50   #8
Vegas Events

HHHMMMMMMM... Re Button Ante -
I have given this a lot of thought. Here's my opinion...

As far as I can see, the pro's are
1) allegedly, it speeds up the game
2) It's more convenient for players
3) It's more convenient for Dealers
4) It rules out the error where a dealer is missing an ante and doesn't know who didn't pay.

1)... Most tournament dealers deal 20 hands per hour. It takes about 5 seconds for a dealer to pull in the ante's so the Button Ante saves about 20 X 5 seconds per hour = 1 min 40 seconds per hour. Lets be generous and call it 2 mins. In fact, lets be super generous and call it 3 mins which is at best one hand extra per hour. So I don't believe that the Button Ante "Get's way more hands in" as a lot of people are saying. I think there are fast dealers and slow dealers and the amount of hands per hour at your table depends way more on which dealer you get rather than on which ante system you're using.

2)... I agree that the Button Ante is more convenient for Players - especially over a 12-hour poker session.

3) I agree the button ante is more convenient for Dealers. However, Dealers have been paid for years to pull in the antes and this point weighs very little in my decision.

4) Yes, It rules out the error mentioned above. However, this happens very very little - perhaps once per table per day if even. This also has almost no impact on the game when a pot is short one ante so again, this point carries very little weight IMHO

Now let's look at the con's...
1) The ante has a job to do - It ensures every player at the table is financially invested in the pot. Using the button ante changes the dynamic of the game - It changes players investment in each hand.

2) The button ante system brings complicated ruling situations into the game ie, A) What if the player busts who is due to pay the button ante? Answer - There is no ante for that hand. B) Blinds are 5K/10K with 10K button ante... the player due to pay button ante only has 4K left? two early position players call the 10K BB pre-flop... How much can the short-stacked button ante player win if the SB & BB call? And technically, this pot now has 6K less in it than it should.

3) Most Live Events now balance the tables within 2 players not 1. What if a table is short-handed for a long period of time? The players on that table are paying an extra amount of ante money than other tables in the room which have more players. Likewise, at the start of a tournament - when many tables have 4 or 5 players... they are paying extra ante money.

All that said, I am very aware that this system is becoming more and more popular with players. As live event operators, we are coming under increased pressure from players to introduce this system.

I value players comfort and their overall playing experience and with that in mind I am considering introducing a system like this.

But, after giving it a lot of thought and investigation, If we decide to bring in something like this, I feel it would be better to have the player left of the BB paying the ante. This rules out all the complicated ruling situations because there is always a BB so there will always be a player to his/her left to pay the ante. So, we would have Button, Small Blind, Big Blind then Single Ante. I guess instead of calling it a "Button Ante" you could call it a "Big Blind Ante" or a "Double Big Blind"

I would love to hear peoples opinions on this before making a final decision.

Nick O'Hara

Last edited by Vegas Events; 10-04-18 at 15:06.
Thanks From:
Old 10-04-18, 15:01   #9
missedtheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Events View Post

I have given this a lot of thought. Here's my opinion...

As far as I can see, the pro's are
1) allegedly, it speeds up the game
2) It's more convenient for players
3) It's more convenient for Dealers
4) It rules out the error where a dealer is missing an ante and doesn't know who didn't pay.

1)... Most tournament dealers deal 20 hands per hour. It takes about 5 seconds for a dealer to pull in the ante's so the Button Ante saves about 20 X 5 seconds per hour = 1 min 40 seconds per hour. Lets be generous and call it 2 mins. In fact, lets be super generous and call it 3 mins which is at best one hand extra per hour. So I don't believe that the Button Ante "Get's way more hands in" as a lot of people are saying. I think there are fast dealers and slow dealers and the amount of hands per hour at your table depends way more on which dealer you get rather than on which ante system you're using.

2)... I agree that the Button Ante is more convenient for Players - especially over a 12-hour poker session.

3) I agree the button ante is more convenient for Dealers.

4) Yes, It rules out the error mentioned above.

Now let's look at the con's...
1) The ante has a job to do - It ensures every player at the table is financially invested in the pot. Using the button ante changes the dynamic of the game - It changes players investment in each hand.

2) The button ante system brings complicated ruling situations into the game ie, A) What if the player busts who is due to pay the button ante? Answer - There is no ante for that hand. B) Blinds are 5K/10K with 10K button ante... the player due to pay button ante only has 4K left? two early position players call the 10K BB pre-flop... How much can the short-stacked button ante player win if the SB & BB call? And technically, this pot now has 6K less in it than it should.

3) Most Live Events now balance the tables within 2 players not 1. What if a table is short-handed for a long period of time? The players on that table are paying an extra amount of ante money than other tables in the room which have more players. Likewise, at the start of a tournament - when many tables have 4 or 5 players... they are paying extra ante money.

All that said, I am very aware that this system is becoming more and more popular with players. As live event operators, we are coming under increased pressure from players to introduce this system.

I value players comfort and their overall playing experience and with that in mind I am considering introducing a system like this.

But, after giving it a lot of thought and investigation, If we decide to bring in something like this, I feel it would be better to have the player left of the BB paying the ante. This rules out all the complicated ruling situations because there is always a BB so there will always be a player to his/her left to pay the ante. So, we would have Button, Small Blind, Big Blind then Single Ante. I guess instead of calling it a "Button Ante" you could call it a "Big Blind Ante" or a "Double Big Blind"

I would love to hear people opinions on this before making a final decision.

Nick O'Hara
spot on bosco. button on not tne answer to a slow table excessive tanking and players themselves not paying attencion when its ante up time
missedtheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 15:08   #10
Vegas Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossiesAbu View Post
Whats the €5 dealer add on?
€ Dealer Add-On was a typo (copy n' pasted from last year) I've removed it. Ignore

And, RossiesAbu, just for you, I didn't centre the content in my original post

Last edited by Vegas Events; 10-04-18 at 15:10.
Old 10-04-18, 15:12   #11
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

Much prefer button ante.

If you are not changing this year (you will for 2019) at least get rid of the goddam 75 ante.

2018 Live Irish Poker Rankings

Dice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 10-04-18, 15:34   #12
arrymyboy

ipo

do you have a sponsor this year, and will there be any on line satellites
arrymyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 15:48   #13
Vegas Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrymyboy View Post
do you have a sponsor this year, and will there be any on line satellites
Sponsorship agreement is almost sorted. Yes, there will definitely be online satellites
Old 10-04-18, 17:07   #14
RossiesAbu

Quote:
Dealer Add-On was a typo (copy n' pasted from last year) I've removed it. Ignore

And, RossiesAbu, just for you, I didn't centre the content in my original post
Fair play, you have some memory.
RossiesAbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 15:52   #15
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

Quote:

I would love to hear peoples opinions on this before making a final decision.

Nick O'Hara
Did a quick poll on Twitter....

2 Thanks From:
Old 12-04-18, 22:01   #16
GlennDoyle

Nick has informed me that there has been a discussion in this thread in relation to “one player posting the ante”. I personally don’t like the concept of it and will explain my reasons why.

After reading Nick’s post I agree with all of his points (except for the left of the BB ante idea.)

The main reason for this concept being introduced was to speed up the game. Let’s very quickly go through the (rough) figures. Collecting the antes in a normal ante system takes roughly 5 seconds. This is providing every player puts their ante out and having the right change. Any player continuously not putting out their antes is their responsibility and other players can aid by telling them to put them out. An efficient dealer can deal roughly 25 hands per hour. This is roughly 2.5 minutes per hand. Therefore the amount of time saved is roughly 125 seconds which is about 1 hand per hour or 2-3 hands if we are being very generous.

There are a number of other points (along with Nicks) as to why I don’t like this concept and I’ll go through them now:

1. if a player in the cut off is left with 1k and the blinds are 12k/24k and everybody except the blinds folds, then that player can win 27k by only investing his 1k - 1k from him, 1k from the SB, 1k from the BB and finally the 24k antes. This is not correct in my opinion.

2. if there is a dead button who posts the antes? Once the antes come into a tournament they should be there until the tournament is completed. If I’m a short stack and I win a hand that the SB has busted in the previous hand, I will win less chips than I should have.

3. let’s use a hyper turbo for this example. If a player keeps getting his table broken, he may never have to post any chips if he gets a very lucky string of seat draws in which his next table breaks again before he has to post any forced bets.

4. if players are aware that they are on the next table to break and they are paying attention to the amount of players remaining, this may induce stalling in order to prevent the player having to post any forced bets. You can argue this happens anyways but the volume of this increasing would increase with this concept.

I may not have explained these reasons very clearly but I’m very tired after working a lot. I just wanted to get my view across on this subject. If anybody has any questions I will of course answer but I can’t give a definitive time when.

I think the cons outweigh the pros of this new concept. I’m willing to talk about any of the reasons I’ve discussed too.

Last edited by GlennDoyle; 13-04-18 at 20:03.
GlennDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 00:43   #17
Dice75
Bringing the Mac

At the next tournament i play (Pokerstars yokie) i will give to the first dealer who before they ask for an ante and then collect 9 antes in 5 seconds the deeds to my house - mortgage free.

Old 13-04-18, 01:01   #18
GlennDoyle

I did point out that if the players put their ante out in time it would take roughly 5 seconds. How long do you think it takes to collect the antes if they are put out with the correct change?
GlennDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 08:12   #19
dobby

It's a.convenience thing for me. With a button ante I don't have to be messing around with change or making sure to put an ante out every hand. Most of the points you made are extreme cases which rarely happen at the tables imo.

If you do a normal ante, please scrap any ante less than 100, the amount of dealers that sit there trying to work out what change to give at the 25 and 75 ante level is astonishing.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-18, 14:24   #20
Laois Hammer
Irish Iron

The last tournament i played with Antes there was 25-30 seconds of every hand wasted collecting them, breaking higher denomination chips and giving back change. This 5 seconds to collect antes talk is way too generous and optimistic.

Quote:
Most of the points you made are extreme cases which rarely happen at the tables imo.
Agree with this ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoyle View Post
I think the cons far outweigh the pros of this new concept.
I dont think the cons can far outweigh the pros because the pros are relevant to 95%+ of the hands played, some of the cons mentioned are hardly ever going to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennDoyle View Post
1. if a player in the cut off is left with 1k and the blinds are 12k/24k and everybody except the blinds folds, then that player can win 27k by only investing his 1k - 1k from him, 1k from the SB, 1k from the BB and finally the 24k antes. This is not correct in my opinion.
Agree its not correct, but its gonna almost never happen and can have an easy solution that pays him the same amount as a normal ante game. Just have the rule in place he only wins His stack * Players dealt into the hand from the Antes, in this case (8 handed) 1k from bb, 1k from sb and 1k * 8 from antes = he wins 11k

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Live Tournaments and Events