Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    I'd generally disagree with this to be honest.
    A view point (albeit different from the hivemind) is in itself not a destructive thing.
    I'd have been quite happy to allow P&F to post pictures of fairies and random meandering shite but she got the can for, imo, for the slanderous and personal nature of some of her stuff.
    Honestly, I find the left/right extremes equally distasteful but banning someone for talking shite in a shite talking thread seems like a bad precedence to take.

On the level beneath this, I find it interesting how the hivemind has split a little with left/right leanings as its members age.
    Your post, whether I disagree with it or not has made a series of good and concise points. It adds something to a debate, perhaps made me question my post.

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
    Potential spanner in the works of the abortion vote, case in the Supreme Court which could delay the voting date.
    What does this add - I'd wager most of us reading here don't know what case it refers to, who is bringing the case or what the case means.
    Give us a link or some background, something.

The pro abortion side seems very determined to have the vote in May.
    This is clearly just to annoy the board, full in the knowledge that someone won't be able to resist saying 'pro choice' and then he can reply with his prepared one-line answer knowing what the next response will be, ad infinitum.

And these two posts are what every day seems to be now.
    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 21-02-18, 11:05.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Are you anti kite flying AJ?

May the holy god have mercy on your liberal soul.

Comment

The fella was only asking a few questions.

Back to debating the best bar of chocolate or crisps
          airport, lol

Comment

I'm fine with not bringing up abortion if it upsets everyone so much.

Emmet final point on it I doubt your going have anyone pro amputation for non medical reasons. Like if someone came in and was like i just can't cope with this fully functional healthy leg anymore I don't think a doctor would be inclined to remove it. However if the leg was crushed in a car accident it would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              It is a bit fascinating how a 30-something dude has arrived at such stupid opinions. You can see that if the extremist literature works on someone with a reasonably sensible background, then how those even more impressionable 18-year-old school shooters get converted online to believe what they're doing is in the interests of white race survival.
              You are who you pretend to be.

I'd be interested to know the amount of people who started down that path in jest.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I think he is a re-up myself, all seems very familiar!
                That or Lloyd on a proper wum!

Comment

I personally think you should say more about abortion!

Comment

You are who you pretend to be.
                    Really?

Excellent!

I'm out to fly off a building!

Comment

Emmet final point on it I doubt your going have anyone pro amputation for non medical reasons. Like if someone came in and was like i just can't cope with this fully functional healthy leg anymore I don't think a doctor would be inclined to remove it. However if the leg was crushed in a car accident it would be different.
                      Jack I imagine you are a man quite fond of self discovery and investigations.
                      Allow yourself to be consumed with the wonderful world of body modification.
                      Sub-incisions are a nice place to start
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Thats clearly a trick debate. The world of crisp retailing has been destroyed since they decided that putting half a potato worth of crisps in a pack and selling it for €1.50 was a good idea.
                          That and those pringle yokes not being made from potatoes

Comment

I don't believe this place is an echo chamber. I also don't believe there are any impressionable lurkers likely to switch views on abortion based on discussions on this board. I think there are frequently discussions of substance from varying POVs here anyway.

I think there is no chance that Jack's vague, misleading and poorly phrased morning posts are the least bit intended to generate sincere debates. This is obvious because he only engages when people reply in irritation, we could easily dig out many posts over the last few months where he has thrown a grenade, had it easily diffused by a well measured response and just waddled off till the next morning and the next deliberately misunderstood talking point.

He might or might not hold the viewpoints he's putting forward (or just asking questions about ), regardless of that it's quite obvious that he's deliberately trolling.

Comment

I'm just glad someone took the heat off me

Comment

Which is the best bank to set up a current account with in Ireland at the moment?

Won't have large amounts going thru it I'm afraid

One that won't charge a fortune for transfers in would be good (will be an online service to transfer the money not a banks own...)

ta

Comment

I don't agree that Jack's posts and very presence are as generally disruptive as a previously mentioned poster, but I do agree that his posting style and method is not in the interest of genuine discussion, but to provoke responses of the certain nature.

I've no idea if he holds the views he at least occasionally espouses, or if it is all a product of boredom or a social experiment, but the leading questions with no actual points made and never actually entering into a proper discussion isn't great.

I don't think it is at the point where he needs to be banned, but it is somewhat disruptive.

Jack, if you are not actually just on a massive windup, then please try to take some of this on board about your posting style. If you are on the windup, then fuck off please.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                    I don't agree that Jack's posts and very presence are as generally disruptive as a previously mentioned poster, but I do agree that his posting style and method is not in the interest of genuine discussion, but to provoke responses of the certain nature.

I've no idea if he holds the views he at least occasionally espouses, or if it is all a product of boredom or a social experiment, but the leading questions with no actual points made and never actually entering into a proper discussion isn't great.

I don't think it is at the point where he needs to be banned, but it is somewhat disruptive.

Jack, if you are not actually just on a massive windup, then please try to take some of this on board about your posting style. If you are on the windup, then fuck off please.
                                    Point taken - not on a windup just to clarify.

Comment

I'd generally disagree with this to be honest.
                                      A view point (albeit different from the hivemind) is in itself not a destructive thing. Also the effortless nature in which his points are dismissed is to me a useful tool for impressionable posters/lurkers who may enter the rabbit hole of that side of the political spectrum.
                                      I'd have been quite happy to allow P&F to post pictures of fairies and random meandering shite but she got the can for, imo, the slanderous and personal nature of some of her stuff.
                                      Honestly, I find the left/right extremes equally distasteful but banning someone for talking shite in a shite talking thread seems like a bad precedence to take.

On the level beneath this, I find it interesting how the hivemind has split a little with left/right leanings as its members age.
                                      I dont the issue is a completely different view point. People have different view points all the time around here. Debating polar opposite opinions is fine. Having your opinions inspected is healthy.
                                      The issue with Jack, he sunny engaging in intelligent debate, its basically outright trolling. Like the pro-abortion label he keeps wheeling out. Nobody who invested that amount of time could have that poor an understanding. That's just one of many examples. (Add in more examples as needed).
                                      He's either feigning ignorance for jollies, or just being an outright disrespectful asshole.

If a new account came along and posted like that, they be banned within a week. No doubt. But because this was a slow descent into madness people have entertained the game. It reminds me of the boiling a frog fable.

Put a frog into a pot of boiling water and it immediately jumps out. Put a frog into tepid water and slowly raise the temperature, and it sits there, adjusting its body temperature, until it is boiled alive.
                                      We are all frogs.

Comment

Point taken - not on a windup just to clarify.
                                        That's pretty scary if true
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Thats clearly a trick debate. The world of crisp retailing has been destroyed since they decided that putting half a potato worth of crisps in a pack and selling it for €1.50 was a good idea.
                                          No more than a pint of Guinness costing 5.40 these days, it doesn't make them not class m8
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                            That's pretty scary if true
                                            People are stupid m8. Shouldn't surprise you.

Comment

@MrsFlushdraw: If that car is leased tell her to politely return it asap simply saying that BIK in Ireland is punitive and she'd be better off buying the same car and claiming mileage from the Employer for any business trips. If she actually needs a work car and won't really use it for much at home (ie. any passengers) I'd recommend a commercial jeep/car. 5% BIK as opposed to 30%. A commercial golf would cost her €50 a month.

The €700pm on a €60k car is the high end of 30% BIK. If she can clock up 40,000-50,000 kilometres a year it'll reduce her cost to 12% or 6%.

Also if she leaves the car at the hotel overnight and doesn't use it for personal use outside work hours, then she owes no tax at all. Waste of the car but an option.

On the bad side, if they've bought the car outright then it'll be difficult to change but they really should have sat down with her and explained all the implications of a fancy company car.

On the very bad side, the €10k withheld from her bonus is just robbery. BIK is punitive already and covers insurance/tax/fuel. They have to know that and just be pricks so will be unlikely to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                This!

*Also, your friend should go for a good 70% power WTF moment with her boss!
                                                Not full on, just enough to put a niggle in
                                                Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                @MrsFlushdraw: If that car is leased tell her to politely return it asap simply saying that BIK in Ireland is punitive and she'd be better off buying the same car and claiming mileage from the Employer for any business trips. If she actually needs a work car and won't really use it for much at home (ie. any passengers) I'd recommend a commercial jeep/car. 5% BIK as opposed to 30%. A commercial golf would cost her €50 a month.

The €700pm on a €60k car is the high end of 30% BIK. If she can clock up 40,000-50,000 kilometres a year it'll reduce her cost to 12% or 6%.

Also if she leaves the car at the hotel overnight and doesn't use it for personal use outside work hours, then she owes no tax at all. Waste of the car but an option.

On the bad side, if they've bought the car outright then it'll be difficult to change but they really should have sat down with her and explained all the implications of a fancy company car.

On the very bad side, the €10k withheld from her bonus is just robbery. BIK is punitive already and covers insurance/tax/fuel. They have to know that and just be pricks so will be unlikely to help.
                                                Thanks for that.

She emailed the guys secretary and got told that she will get 2 months free of the car and after that it will be written into her contract to pay the 10k a year plus the BIK.

She uses the car at home, but they have another decent car just a couple of years older as well which they own. She has 2 days off a week and rarely is the car used for anything but work.

She wrote to them and said in the 2.5 years, not once she has charged them mileage. She drives all over the place for them, doing shows etc for the hotel. I doubt she clocks 20 miles a week for personal use. By the time she gets home at 8pm every night, she is reaching for a glass of wine! not a car outing.

She was more angry after they wrote back making out they are doing a good thing giving her 2 months free and only paying BIK!

Comment

Just on our friend Jack. I am not going to enter into a debate about abortion. as my opinion is personal to me, and if I am in that position, no one but Tony and I are involved and no one else's business.

I am one of the very few people on this site that actually has a uterus. and when you don't have one, you can not know how it would feel if put in a position where it comes up. And that is all I am saying on it.

BUT, he made a comment on the car thing, which was a decent enough thing and I know the other day I agreed with something he said. So he ain't all that bad

Comment

In addition to what NuckChorris said the €10k could be deductible on taxable benefit like this.

If original market value is €60k @ 30% BIk is €18000 taxable benefit per year less €10k is €8k per year taxable benefit. Unlikely the insurance and motor tax are deductible but the depreciation is effectively a contriburion towards the car and therefore should be (without knowing the full details).

Comment

If Ireland had a piece in the constitution saying all limbs had the right to stay attached, and people campaigned to remove that from the constitution, it would be very odd (unless ulterior motive imo) to attempt to label them as 'Pro Amputation'.

Yet, you seem at home with the term Pro Abortion for the current issue. Very strange no?

Comment

Potential spanner in the works of the abortion vote, case in the Supreme Court which could delay the voting date.
                                                        If it goes your way a Nigerian man gets to avoid deportation.

That must be tough for you.
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I'm pro amputation for certain people.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                            Just on our friend Jack. I am not going to enter into a debate about abortion. as my opinion is personal to me, and if I am in that position, no one but Tony and I are involved and no one else's business.

I am one of the very few people on this site that actually has a uterus. and when you don't have one, you can not know how it would feel if put in a position where it comes up. And that is all I am saying on it.

BUT, he made a comment on the car thing, which was a decent enough thing and I know the other day I agreed with something he said. So he ain't all that bad
                                                            I am always a bit uneasy with the idea that it is a woman's issue so only women should have a say. If that's what your leaning towards.

Like the gay marriage referendum it dosnt really impact me directly but people who I am friends with it did so I voted to let them have the choice to marry.

Everyone in society should be involved in the descison over what we allow people to have choices over, it is deciding how open a society we want. straight or gay - male or female in the current case all have an interest in this.

We can all see that the vote is not about single abortions which is a very individual choice and quite often taken by women in isolation unfrortounatly. If you take another step back it's about freedom of choice and how how we want our country to treat its citizens which is a question for all.

Comment

I'm pro amputation for certain people.
                                                              For me it would be a cost issue. I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.
                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                I'm going to have to cut you off there.

Comment

I'm going to have to cut you off there.
                                                                  Ah you can't do that , he's armless.
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Always looking for a handout

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                      I am always a bit uneasy with the idea that it is a woman's issue so only women should have a say. If that's what your leaning towards.

Like the gay marriage referendum it dosnt really impact me directly but people who I am friends with it did so I voted to let them have the choice to marry.

Everyone in society should be involved in the descison over what we allow people to have choices over, it is deciding how open a society we want. straight or gay - male or female in the current case all have an interest in this.

We can all see that the vote is not about single abortions which is a very individual choice and quite often taken by women in isolation unfrortounatly. If you take another step back it's about freedom of choice and how how we want our country to treat its citizens which is a question for all.
                                                                      That was not what I was saying. I was saying that my opinion is just that, my opinion and if it cropped up it is between me and Tony and not one other bloody person!

It blooming sucks being a woman! But it actually is only a womans issue. Technically, until they start doing uterus transplants etc. It is not only the womans decision though.

Comment

Comment

I like the way Hitch believes he gets a say in things.
                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

this whole debate makes me very uneasy

you might almost say I'm feeling wristless

Comment

...

Comment

Answering calls from a supposed bank when out jarring. Fuck that.
                                                                                "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                  this whole debate makes me very uneasy

you might almost say I'm feeling wristless
                                                                                  Always thought you were a bit limp wristed.

This punfest reminds me of an old Episode of Star Trek. Famous enough episode, anyway a Giant Hand appears on the screen in the Bridge.

KIRK: Spock, what is this?

SPOCK: Raises eyebrow. Fascinating Captain, it’s appears to be some kind of human appendage.

Cue my 10 year old self into hysterics. Why can’t spock say it’s a HAND. Why doesn’t KIRK know it’s a giant hand? WTF stardate 312431.49980974133 , look at your wrists, it’s a fecking HAND.

Well all these years later I still think it’s hilarious

Comment

Anyone opened a Crypto wallet as an institution?

Google is not helping with some questions!

Have to get this uploaded

Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 21-02-18, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                      It is, my bank does similar

Hello
                                                                                      Yes
                                                                                      Can you confirm your date of birth, its your bank
                                                                                      No,Can you confirm my account number
                                                                                      I cannot give out that infomation
                                                                                      Then how do I know who you are
                                                                                      You can call this number
                                                                                      What is the purpose of this call and who I am asking for
                                                                                      I cannot give out that information
                                                                                      Oh fuck you dickhead
                                                                                      phishing scam put up on reddit. Its quite smart.
                                                                                      previous post on this, every-time with my bank, they fail to see the security flaw with their approach, Like if we had a codeword at least for when they rang like "fartsniffer" or something it would be a start

Comment

phishing scam put up on reddit. Its quite smart.
                                                                                        Doesn't everyone just say they will call back and ask for security then end the call?
                                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                          Doesn't everyone just say they will call back and ask for security then end the call?
                                                                                          Years ago I got a call from someone saying they were from the local police station. Since I have never been in trouble I was 100% sure it was a prank as the PC name was the same as the place someone stuck my long wig that they nicked from my flat and hung on traffic lights.

So... I was saying "Yeah right, PC fkn Wilson, you must think I am daft"
                                                                                          I said all sorts. They then told me to call Mill Street Station. I checked the number, rang it and asked for the guy. Sure enough it was genuine!

I was mortified, but he just laughed about it. Not to mention I was so hungover as I went Christmas Shopping the afternoon before and staggered home at 2am with my mate absolutely locked!

Ah memories haha. Must have been about 22 at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            You'd really wonder what's going on at CNN, I remember when Fox was the joke station, but between publicly threatening the guy that made a gif, and fawning over kim jong un's sister, CNN had to be in the lead.
                                                                                            At it again

Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-02-18, 16:56.

Comment

...

Comment

Doesn't bother me at all, just find it funny that they've managed to out Fox News Fox news to such an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                                  previous post on this, every-time with my bank, they fail to see the security flaw with their approach, Like if we had a codeword at least for when they rang like "fartsniffer" or something it would be a start
                                                                                                  Some banks have that, a password tehy use for your calls, none here though that I know of.

Comment

Whatever skiing event is on BBC now is a laugh. Fast races and a bit of action

Comment

...

Comment

carnage in the Shraaap household. Wife got the flu and has been in bits for the last 3 days- cue both the boys getting it and temp of 39.5 for the last 2 days, puking sleeping, rinse repeat, and me sore all over, headache and bad sore throat just wondering when the nasty stuff will hit me

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          carnage in the Shraaap household. Wife got the flu and has been in bits for the last 3 days- cue both the boys getting it and temp of 39.5 for the last 2 days, puking sleeping, rinse repeat, and me sore all over, headache and bad sore throat just wondering when the nasty stuff will hit me
                                                                                                          It will hit as soon as the wife gets better so she can take your shift to mind the sick kids!

It is a great life lol.

Hope ye all better soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            It will hit as soon as the wife gets better so she can take your shift to mind the sick kids!

It is a great life lol.

Hope ye all better soon.
                                                                                                            i have a broken leg also so am not much help anyway. she's on the mend now so assisting the kids already

Comment

Ha I remember thinking Shrapnel was a bit daft, going around with his broken leg for a while before going to a doctor. Little did I realise I'd been riding my motorbike around for 3 weeks after a heart attack.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Want some uplift?

Play the 2018 IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition and secure tax-free loots* plus immeasurable satisfaction**.

*not guaranteed to win the loots
                                                                                                                **satisfaction not guaranteed

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                  Nothing worse and now you have the might of Italy to face in the Rugby .

Get well , sounds like hell

Comment

Did another lentil dish this evening, savage.

This notice period is being used most productively.

SPOILER

Comment

...

Comment

Lenthils ? JACK get back on here to add a bit of sense

Comment

Red Lentil curry is another dish you should try. I've been eating a lot of them lately since I cut out meat and have really enjoyed them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X