Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    What's funny about Jack's loaded question is he's surmising it's because parents don't want their kids mixing with too many foreigners when in reality it's because parents don't want their kids mixing with his catholic church.

My local one is patroned by the cult so not a choice for me.
    We are sending the kid there. They don't request you to be an RC to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
      We are sending the kid there. They don't request you to be an RC to admit.
      Church are it's patrons though.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Jeez everyone relax I just thought it was an interesting phenomenon as no one (relatively speaking) wanted their kids to go their years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Church are it's patrons though.
            Yep but we are the parents. We pay taxes and there is no way we are driving to a school out of the way when there is one on the doorstep. The God thing doesn't bother me so much. We will teach him to respect others and not laugh at them in their communion gear. Anyway God wants him to go on a wee holiday around then.

Comment

I went to a gaelscoil in the 1980s in Galway, as did my two brothers - my parents must have been really, really scared of all of the Muslims and asylum seekers in the west of Ireland at that time, Connacht was just brimming with them

I'd rather my own kids go to a gaelscoil ahead of a traditional catholic English-language school, for sure, though would prefer an Educate Together ahead of all of them. I can see the benefits of schooling trí Gaeilge. I feel like I'm actually re-learning a lot of my Irish over the past few years with all of the TG4 rugby coverage!

Are there any Gaelscoil Educate Together schools out there I wonder?

Comment

Our nearest school is a gaelscoil, but we're not sending the kid there a I want to be able to help with homework and stuff when needed, which I couldn't do through Irish. The missus works in a different gaelscoil too so she'd have no problem helping obviously, but I want to be able to participate a bit, so educate together on the other side of town it will be (providing he gets in).

Comment

Pat Kenny show is talking about it now assume you will be texting in so how racist it is to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                    Gaelscoils going to be interviewing preschoolers to ensure Irish proficiency due to level of demand, I wonder why these schools are so popular now?
                    Well few reasons one being kids that the first language at home is not English slow down classes they need more help from teachers and then other kids might not get enough attention themselves. I have heard this from teachers and parents it’s fairly obvious of Polish Russian Arabic whatever is the child’s first language at home and is spoken by the parents learning through English is going to be difficult. Who wants there child not getting the best chance at learning ? Obv people won’t admit it but they want there kids schooling and socializing with people of there own class.

Comment

GF is a primary teacher. She's taught in both Catholic and Educate Together. I know one thing from a teachers perspective is that Educate Together is not based on diocese so teachers can freely apply without being tied to a specific teaching panel.
                      The lure of a permanent job for any teacher outside of Dublin is unbelievable. Finding a permanent post and intending to never move is deeply ingrained in them.

She's currently permanent in a Catholic school while her sis is middle management in an Educate Together. Ive never asked for a objective opinion on preference, it would be hard to come by as it's always about how hard a teachers life is

I'll ask her sis about the Educate Together gaelscoil if no one else has an answer

Comment

Why would you think that?
                        I'm just asking questions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Gaelscoils going to be interviewing preschoolers to ensure Irish proficiency due to level of demand, I wonder why these schools are so popular now?
                          Because you need good English to speak irish

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            The taxi back to Dublin is going to be expensive
                            IPB jolly to Kerry.
                            https://twitter.com/CheltenhamGlen

Comment

Can those long usernames be made to wrap instead of breaking the column widths easily dom?

Comment

In Donegal it was the "In Thing" to get your kid into the Gaelscoils. I know when the eldest was preschool, I planned on getting her into the local Irish playschool as it was the best way to get them into the Gaelscoils.

Thank fuck I didn't go down that road as she hated Irish with a passion and told us from a young age it was a useless and dead language and she really has no use for it!

It was like a class system, you felt you were one better if your kid went to the Gaelscoil. But that is just Donegal, no idea about the reasons elsewhere. There is not the level of immigrants up there as down in Dublin etc.
                                It just seems to be a personal choice and for some more Patriotic than sending them to the run of the mill schools.

There is a larger amount of non-denominational schools up where we were due to the amount of non-catholic children. But Catholic children were also in these schools. There was only one Educate Together and it would never have entered my head to send the kids there.

Comment

Are results generally just not better in Gaelscoils

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    Can those long usernames be made to wrap instead of breaking the column widths easily dom?
                                    Not as far as I know.

Edit: I found something that might work that I can try later if I think of it once I'm home. Changing css templates manually isn't ideal though but I can see how it works.
                                    Last edited by 6starpool; 12-02-18, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Cheers! I default-buy anything you recommend

Was looking at the Oink series of Japanese games, but don't really suit us as we haven't got a gaming group. But they look fantastic. Have you played any?

Do you buy any of the games on kickstarter? It looks like a rather cool way to get in on the ground for new games and then have random games turn up in your mail box in X number of undetermined months time.
                                      I've played one of those (A Fake Artist Goes to New York) and it was grand fun.

I don't buy any games on there as my mates buy so many. I just filtered how many one backed last year from my email notifications...81. He's backed 8 this year so far. There are a good few people like him at my meetup so I never really buy too many games. They certainly allude to the euphoric mystery boardgame arrival that you write of.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Here is a challenge for the BBV.

Nominate a pub (ideally Dublin c.c.) that will be showing Cheltenham, has a bookies within 10m of its front door, ideally a decent selection of gins and also has a high tolerance for eejitry.

ty
                                        Donehy and Nesbitts on baggot st?
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CheltenhamAtTheGleneagle View Post
                                            IPB jolly to Kerry.
                                            We'll fly down with AirZuut for the day!

Actually...
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Obviously you are all missing a trick by not putting your kids down for Protestant schools.

Probably a large element of truth in that too if you want 'a liberal education'.

Comment

Comment

We'll fly down with AirZuut for the day!

Actually...
                                                    Off to Derry for annual maintenance this week and touch and go whether it's back by then.

Have to fly up to Derry (40 mins) and bus it back (4 hours). Oh the glamour of aircraft ownership.

Also don't have instrument rating yet, so too weather sensitive to make committed travel plans.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      Off to Derry for annual maintenance this week and touch and go whether it's back by then.

Have to fly up to Derry (40 mins) and bus it back (4 hours). Oh the glamour of aircraft ownership.

Also don't have instrument rating yet, so too weather sensitive to make committed travel plans.
                                                      Damn you. Was looking to loudly announcing in the bar: 'I just called the pilot, we'll take off at 6. That OK lads or will we tell him to wait an hour?'

Comment

Weston doesn't have lights either, so we'd need to be leave before the last race!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          Weston doesn't have lights either, so we'd need to be leave before the last race!
                                                          whats the mobile coverage like at cruising altitude?
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                            Are results generally just not better in Gaelscoils
                                                            IMO no, I've seen smart enough kids come out of them barely literate in English and left struggling at second level.
                                                            Very hard to know without stats and you are not going to find any accurate numbers.
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                              whats the mobile coverage like at cruising altitude?
                                                              Generally fine up to about 5,000 ft for mobile data...Can get phone coverage beyond that but not sure to what level. I assume there's lots of factors that determine it.

Comment

Pilot : OMFG
                                                                Passengers. WTF ? argghh
                                                                Pilot : Can't get a signal
                                                                Passengers : FUCKYOUUUU

Comment

Think it's a silly choice to choose a gael-scoil btw. There's a lot is pseudo-science around it making it easier to learn other proper languages - but if that's the case then why not have schools that teach modern languages directly - e.g. the French school or German school in Dublin.
                                                                  Whatever about German, learning French was the ultimate in wasted time for me - can't believe it was (and probably still is) the main language pushed in many Irish schools after English and Gaeilge. If you are one of a tiny fraction of a % of Irish people (pulled that stat out of my ass, feel free to correct me people!) that emigrate to France, Switzerland or southern Belgium later in life, cool, it will be useful. Or obviously if you become an Irish emigrant in west Africa, New Caledonia or a few other 3rd world places.

Otherwise you're learning French solely to make holidays there easier! German, Spanish and Mandarin are actually useful, and learning Irish is something that many people in Ireland think is worthwhile (more in the Gaelic west than in the Anglo east, fair enough), French is just a waste of time. The sunk cost is shocking in my case, studied it for about four years in primary school and six years in secondary! I'd rather have learned Latin...

Comment

Comment

How is German a better choice than French?! I agree they're both limited, but aons better than Irish which you devoted more time to learning. French opens up Spanish, Italian. Spanish seems most useful now of European languages, but demographics of Africa point towards that being the future global driver of growth. So French + English gives you access to there. Chinese is an obvious winner, but seems just too difficult. Same with Arabic.
                                                                      Are you saying French helps with Italian?

Spanish would be the one I would recommend learning.

Comment

How is German a better choice than French?! I agree they're both limited, but aons better than Irish which you devoted more time to learning. French opens up Spanish, Italian. Spanish seems most useful now of European languages, but demographics of Africa point towards that being the future global driver of growth. So French + English gives you access to there. Chinese is an obvious winner, but seems just too difficult. Same with Arabic.
                                                                        I have great intentions to learn a new language. I assumed German was the way to go because I figured Chinese would be too difficult but two of the German guys in the class speak fluent Chinese and said it's actually not that bad.

Arabic never crossed mind but being there is a clear ambition in the UK to make it a Western centre for Islamic finance and the continued efforts for more Shariah complaint Sukuks, you would have to imagine it deserves consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                          Whatever about German, learning French was the ultimate in wasted time for me - can't believe it was (and probably still is) the main language pushed in many Irish schools after English and Gaeilge. If you are one of a tiny fraction of a % of Irish people (pulled that stat out of my ass, feel free to correct me people!) that emigrate to France, Switzerland or southern Belgium later in life, cool, it will be useful. Or obviously if you become an Irish emigrant in west Africa, New Caledonia or a few other 3rd world places.

Otherwise you're learning French solely to make holidays there easier! German, Spanish and Mandarin are actually useful, and learning Irish is something that many people in Ireland think is worthwhile (more in the Gaelic west than in the Anglo east, fair enough), French is just a waste of time. The sunk cost is shocking in my case, studied it for about four years in primary school and six years in secondary! I'd rather have learned Latin...
                                                                          You did French in primary school? Must have been a mighty high falutin place for the time.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                I have great intentions to learn a new language. I assumed German was the way to go because I figured Chinese would be too difficult but two of the German guys in the class speak fluent Chinese and said it's actually not that bad.

Arabic never crossed mind but being there is a clear ambition in the UK to make it a Western centre for Islamic finance and the continued efforts for more Shariah complaint Sukuks, you would have to imagine it deserves consideration.

https://www.reuters.com/article/isla...-idUSL5N1M10AQ
                                                                                I am always highly skeptical of Westerners who say they speak "fluent" Chinese. When I was living over there occasionally would run into people who gave it the whole ah yeah I speak it routine. Always went the same way, the Chinese wouldn't have a rashers what they were trying to say. Issue is two fold insofar as it is obv so tonal but also the Chinese in general if it was close to understanding them or not would lean on the side of caution and just say nothing if it meant having to take a leap at what was being said.

I find languages easy, speak German and French. Lived there for a year, did classes for the first three months, joined a all Chinese soccer team and only had Chinese TV and by the end of the year it was still routinely a struggle to tell a taxi where to go. Found it absolutely impossible to learn the language.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                  I am always highly skeptical of Westerners who say they speak "fluent" Chinese. When I was living over there occasionally would run into people who gave it the whole ah yeah I speak it routine. Always went the same way, the Chinese wouldn't have a rashers what they were trying to say. Issue is two fold insofar as it is obv so tonal but also the Chinese in general if it was close to understanding them or not would lean on the side of caution and just say nothing if it meant having to take a leap at what was being said.

I find languages easy, speak German and French. Lived there for a year, did classes for the first three months, joined a all Chinese soccer team and only had Chinese TV and by the end of the year it was still routinely a struggle to tell a taxi where to go. Found it absolutely impossible to learn the language.
                                                                                  I have no idea of their level. I'm friendly with one of them and another Chinese guy and they regularly speak in Chinese but I don't know how good he is. I always assumed his Chinese is stronger than the Chinese guy's English.

That said, supposedly all the internationals are fluent English speakers and some are very weak like you said. There is only 5-6 native English speakers in the class so we are never stuck for offers for group projects, odd being in the minority.

Comment

One for PSV

How a confused, defensive social media giant steered itself into a disaster, and how Mark Zuckerberg is trying to fix it all.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                      You did French in primary school? Must have been a mighty high falutin place for the time.
                                                                                      I wouldn't have thought so at the time... Gaeilscoil where we did about 4 years of French and 1 year of German before heading off to secondary. The secondary actually had an Irish stream (one of the three classes in each year was all Irish) but I didn't do it and despite finishing up six years down the line with relatively strong Gaeilge I regret it, could have been much better.

Hitch, I guess you are right that French and German might be equally useless in the grand scheme of things! Spanish and Mandarin the only show in town really in terms of truly useful extra languages after English. Most Germans probably speak English but the majority of Spanish and Mandarin speakers don't have a word of it; did a year of Mandarin about a decade ago and despite that found myself unable to communicate effectively the two trips to China in the meantime, can't do the tones very well, can't understand anyone else and can't get them to understand me.

Comment

I'd say that in the 80's in Ireland, doing any language other than Irish and English in primary school was very much the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                          I'd say that in the 80's in Ireland, doing any language other than Irish and English in primary school was very much the exception.
                                                                                          Yeah. Would have been for cunce with notions

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                            I wouldn't have thought so at the time... Gaeilscoil where we did about 4 years of French and 1 year of German before heading off to secondary. The secondary actually had an Irish stream (one of the three classes in each year was all Irish) but I didn't do it and despite finishing up six years down the line with relatively strong Gaeilge I regret it, could have been much better.

Hitch, I guess you are right that French and German might be equally useless in the grand scheme of things! Spanish and Mandarin the only show in town really in terms of truly useful extra languages after English. Most Germans probably speak English but the majority of Spanish and Mandarin speakers don't have a word of it; did a year of Mandarin about a decade ago and despite that found myself unable to communicate effectively the two trips to China in the meantime, can't do the tones very well, can't understand anyone else and can't get them to understand me.
                                                                                            Yep, in my experience anytime I've been in Spain the lack of English (especially outside tourist hotspots in say Madrid or Barcelona) is very noticeable. We were in Valencia a couple of weeks back and apart from the hotel receptionist pretty much nobody else we spoke too had much English at all. We're four months into learning Spanish so just about got by, but reading/writing is much easier than speaking/understanding so far
                                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Anyone used Cervantes Institute in Dublin for learning Spanish? (on a search V4V mentioned it)
                                                                                              Seems the sort of thing that would be a reasonably fun and rewarding way of spending some time and a few hundred euro.

Comment

...

Comment

Did Latin in first year of secondary school, one of many poor academic choices

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                    Can't wait to see Kayroo's opinion on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      Anyone used Cervantes Institute in Dublin for learning Spanish? (on a search V4V mentioned it)
                                                                                                      Seems the sort of thing that would be a reasonably fun and rewarding way of spending some time and a few hundred euro.
                                                                                                      I think paying someone to sit with you 1-1 is probably the way to go. I am constantly embarrassed by my lack of language skills, feel like a moron when I go to Brussels and everyone else speaks at least 4.

Comment

Have very few regrets in life but opting for accountancy over latin in secondary is one of them.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          Thanks for sharing, that was an interesting read.

Comment

I think paying someone to sit with you 1-1 is probably the way to go. I am constantly embarrassed by my lack of language skills, feel like a moron when I go to Brussels and everyone else speaks at least 4.
                                                                                                            1-1 does make sense. Though might just do a basic beginner course with the institute and then fast-track to 1-1 if I want to continue.

Comment

Duolingo will get you a long way too if you are in any way dedicated.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Oh gosh, I forgot about that!

We did Latin in school as well.

Caecelous est Pater
                                                                                                                    Matella est Mater !

Did grand in the exam. I was at a Non-Denom secondary school as well!

Comment

Think it's a silly choice to choose a gael-scoil btw. There's a lot is pseudo-science around it making it easier to learn other proper languages - but if that's the case then why not have schools that teach modern languages directly - e.g. the French school or German school in Dublin.
                                                                                                                      The L1 (Eng) + L2(Ga) setting up the young brain to more successfully L3 argument was the reason we sent the sprogs a Gaelscoil. Would have chosen any popular language over Irish for total immersion in primary, but that was not an option.

Neither parent a native Irish speaker here btw. Both kids gone on to an English speaking secondary school for logistical reasons and no real desire or need to keep the Irish going.
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Interesting points made in the end despite the initial reaction. Think on the balance gaelscoil would be beneficial - do you still get bonus points for doing your leaving cert as Gaeilge?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X