Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Welcome to Ireland 2017.
    Just as being a menopausal woman was the real reason we are saddled with Trump Leo is clearly the better choice of (in this case) two excellent candidates but could well be undone by the one thing that people cannot really move past.
    I do believe that it will be a more significant obstacle for him in this election than it will be in a General Election.
    Massively more of an issue in this election and in a most likely a positive in the general election if he plays the card or not he will get a lot of the pink vote and votes from those who dont like FG as they are still socially conservative. Most likely independents will loose out to him here.

I am pretty sure that voting for a candidate because he is gay is just marginally better than not voting for them because they are gay but luckily he is my preferred choice anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Why do you think he's clearly the better choice?
      I think he has an excellent ability to communicate his policies and the reasoning behind them especially to your generation. That makes him able to reach out beyond the traditional party silos get a 10 - 15 point boost in a GE. Coveney is probably just as good on policy and delivering within government but he is just a bit too old school FG.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I have to put in an appearance at two 30th birthday parties tomorrow night. Should be an interesting contrast between them.
        One will be a very straightforward late bar with disco and probably chicken nuggets and cocktail sausages. The other is in a yoga studio in town where we are promised they will defy the laws of nature by supplying 'Delicious Vegan Food'
        Skip the second one

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Pascal Donoghue, who has weirdly turned from a nonentity to an influencer, and the very internally influential Charlie Flanaghan, supporting Leo now. Thats a done deal so.
          I watched charlie on bbc world news hard talk the other week. He handled himself very well I thought despite being bated at every opportunity.

Comment

I think he has an excellent ability to communicate his policies and the reasoning behind them especially to your generation. That makes him able to reach out beyond the traditional party silos get a 10 - 15 point boost in a GE. Coveney is probably just as good on policy and delivering within government but he is just a bit too old school FG.
            It's good to hear that he has policies!

Honestly since the time he went into health and seemed to decide to not try anything the only thing I remember from him is the recent #Rat4Leo campaign which I thought was pretty distasteful, although in fairness that's probably a sop to the right wingers in FG rather than something he's passionate about.

Coveney has always struck me as a well-intentioned guy but I think his moves in the property market have been hilariously (or cynically, could be either I suppose) counter-productive. I was told it was ridiculous to try and judge on that a few weeks ago but I see the IMF seem fairly puzzled about it as well during the week.

IDK, in spite of the above Coveney seems to be trying to do stuff the last few years while Varadkar has seemed like he's been slinking around waiting for this moment.

If he's going to bring FG to the left socially I'd be very happy to see that, has he given indications in that regard or is it just "he's gay so he'll probably tell the RCC to fuck off"?

I agree that he's a good speaker although I remember Michael McGrath decorating him on RTE news a couple of months ago.

Comment

Why do you think he's clearly the better choice?
              Leo is an intelligent urbanite economically right liberal, Coveny who inherited his seat is a conservative farmer, his brother runs a company that makes sandwiches ffs!

Comment

Off to a stag now, I assume Westport is far superior to castlebar for a session?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  If he's going to bring FG to the left socially I'd be very happy to see that, has he given indications in that regard or is it just "he's gay so he'll probably tell the RCC to fuck off"?.
                  We have FG and Labour to thank for each and very progressive move in the last 40 years. Despite having the likes of Alice Glenn and Oliver J Flanagan they have always managed to deliver more than seemed possible.

Don't see whats wrong with discouraging SW fraud. We have tax cheat hotlines and publish names and addresses of everyone caught for tax evasion why not treat everyone equally?

Comment

I have to put in an appearance at two 30th birthday parties tomorrow night. Should be an interesting contrast between them.
                    One will be a very straightforward late bar with disco and probably chicken nuggets and cocktail sausages. The other is in a yoga studio in town where we are promised they will defy the laws of nature by supplying 'Delicious Vegan Food'
                    Sounds to me like you've only got one 30th to go to tomorrow night m8

Comment

Westport is great. Never been to Castlebar or heard of it mentioned for a potential session, which is a bad sign IMHO. The highlight of the night is probably watching the fights between 'townies' and country lads outside Supermacs at 2.15am... I may be making a horrible generalisation about the good folk of central Mayo!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                          Westport is great. Never been to Castlebar or heard of it mentioned for a potential session, which is a bad sign IMHO. The highlight of the night is probably watching the fights between 'townies' and country lads outside Supermacs at 2.15am... I may be making a horrible generalisation about the good folk of central Mayo!
                          You really aren't
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                              Off to a stag now, I assume Westport is far superior to castlebar for a session?
                              Blowsers for Guinness.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Leo is an intelligent urbanite economically right liberal, Coveny who inherited his seat is a conservative farmer, his brother runs a company that makes sandwiches ffs!
                                wat?

We have FG and Labour to thank for each and very progressive move in the last 40 years. Despite having the likes of Alice Glenn and Oliver J Flanagan they have always managed to deliver more than seemed possible.
                                I take you point on that.

Don't see whats wrong with discouraging SW fraud. We have tax cheat hotlines and publish names and addresses of everyone caught for tax evasion why not treat everyone equally?
                                Don't get whats wrong with a campaign to stop social welfare fraud. Most of the arguments I've seen against are along the lines of 'but the bankers ...'. And we've prosecuted or are prosecuting all the bankers who were involved in actual fraud. Plus why should someone doing a 'nixer' be entitled to your tax money? Its an incredibly generous social welfare system by European standards, so enforcing the basic rule that you should be genuinely entitled to it hardly seems like a bad one.
                                I just thought the timing of this campaign was a bit cynical. Hitch you are frequently in here trumpeting the ever decreasing unemployment figures, we see how quickly temporary positions like census enumerator get snapped up etc so it seems as though the vast, vast majority of people in Ireland are mad for work.

This seemed like a 'dole scroungers are stealing your recovery' dog whistle to drum up support from the right side of the party. I remember Emmet posting some stats either here or on boards that suggested social welfare fraud in Ireland is very overstated.

IDK, maybe this whole thing will be fierce effective and we'll catch a tonne of fraudsters because their neighbours will ring some hotline or something and save us €100M a year. I doubt it honestly and think it's just a propaganda exercise at a time when we could probably be just as well feeling good about our collective work ethic and desire to get off the dole.

I'm obviously in favour of only people entitled to social welfare being in receipt of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                  Blowsers for Guinness.
                                  I'll tell the lads that drink Guinness, where do I go for gin

Comment

I haven't been out in Castlebar so can't really compare, but yeah Westport is better

Westport is great fun tbf.

Up to Galway for a stag myself tomorrow, glad it's only an hour up the road because my level of hangover seems to be increasing exponentially over the last couple of years.

Comment

Cant help you there - haven't been since the recent Gin expolsion took off
                                      Last edited by Dice75; 19-05-17, 15:50.

Comment

Thinking of SP furrowing his eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation in the Yoga Hub gives me great pleasure.

Comment

You can go anywhere for gin these days, get an aul gunpowder for yourself.

Anybody tried the new Drumshambo Distillery gin made from "German botanicals"? It's more expensive than Gunpowder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                            Thinking of SP furrowing his eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation in the Yoga Hub gives me great pleasure.
                                            He's a spoofer. Ate nothing but red lentils and butternut squash in the three years I worked with him.

A hipster masquerading as a curmudgeon masquerading as a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                              Martin is a good debater and speaker really but combined they will wipe out a lot of the independents imo.

Leo would still get the majority indeed.
                                              If Independents get wiped out, that would be a great result.

They are a waste of fucking space and should fuck off to the county councils where they belong. Anyone voting for one needs their head examined.
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Great grandkids sp?
                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

This whole 13 billion from Apple thing. Am I wrong in thinking it couldn't have worked out better for us?

Highly doubt any appeal with overturn the decision, as reported today, we need to collect and hold in a third party account until a decision is reached. Possession is 9/10's and all that.

Surely with Brexit looking like it's gonna be pretty decent for FDI for Ireland the biggest issue with collecting may be somewhat mitigated?

Now we can posture and pretend like we don't want it, promise we will review the law for current FDI to allow something more favourable and inline with EU regulations and in all likelihood collect the 13 billion while still benefiting from FDI given the changes from Brexit?

Or am I mad?
                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

All the 25's from Eurovision received with thanks. Including €24.99 from Rigger cos he wanted a penny for luck ty for running AJ

Comment

Irish Times site has a good infographic of Leo v Simon I

The latest political news, comment and analysis brought to you by the definitive brand of quality journalism. Read The Irish Times.

Comment

Comment

Comment

That werewolf game is emotionally demanding.

Comment

Recommend a step counting/distance tracking free app for rigger please.
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Google Fit

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                  That werewolf game is emotionally demanding.
                                                                  You might have enjoyed it if you participated.

Comment

Originally posted by WerewolfMod View Post
                                                                    You might have enjoyed it if you participated.
                                                                    I did enjoy it! Ooh touchy!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                      Surprised and slightly disappointed that AJ hasn't given us a comprehensive rundown of what various permutations are required for each of the six potential winners of French Lihue 2 going into the last round of games.
                                                                      There is an NFL redzone style view of every match here

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                        This whole 13 billion from Apple thing. Am I wrong in thinking it couldn't have worked out better for us?

Or am I mad?
                                                                        Accountants and tax lawyers being what they are who knows but as far as everyone I've asked is concerned the money will be owed on to the countries where the sales were made. That underlines the stupidity of it to me because those countries already collected the only money they were due, the VAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                          I'd assumed I'd be seeing you there, don't all the hipsters hung out together.

Comment

Huge turnover for scarlets

Comment

Big bread ?

Comment

Not watching but should be a very interesting second half!

Comment

Scarlets have been very good, and very entertaining.

Liam Williams (the knob) with that turnover after McGrath's break was ridiculous.

Their tries were all so easy looking. And they're finding gaps everywhere.

The red (stonewall by letter of the law unfortunately) might be big enough to keep Leinster in the game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

The red (stonewall by letter of the law unfortunately) might be big enough to keep Leinster in the game though.
                                                                                    About time they got moving

Comment

Not looking likely. This is Scarlets going professional, from playing dynamic in first 40.

Impressive.

unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                        I did enjoy it! Ooh touchy!
                                                                                        Dammit Dobby!
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ecig heads... Some bargains to be had as new law in tonight.

Esmokeireland 30 ml wingnuts premium usually 12 quid odd down to 3.50.iv taken all the 18 mg lemonade and all the cola

Gl you're welcome
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

what a complete fuckhole of a day...
                                                                                            beer time
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                              beer time
                                                                                              SQL Server getting you down?
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                beer time
                                                                                                Hope it gets better You deserve it

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                                                                  There is an NFL redzone style view of every match here

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/multip...ve-streaming-1
                                                                                                  DRAMA!!

Ups and down all 90 minutes but Troyes after going 2-0 down get 89th minute winner to go 2nd. Amiens who started 2nd conceded goal in 2nd half for 1-1 and go down to 6th but in 95th minute Amiens score with kick of the game and go from 6th to 2nd in 1 goal and automatic qualifying (ref blew up during celebrations so literal final kick of the game and the whole division as they had all 10 games in multibox). Lens in space of 5 minutes go from automatic promotion in 2nd to play-off in 3rd and nothing in 4th.

I am never watching Ligue 2 ever again as nothing will top that.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                    SQL Server getting you down?
                                                                                                    idiots getting me down
                                                                                                    I can nearly guarantee a critical production issue on a friday afternoon and can predict it almost down to the minute.
                                                                                                    last week wecry, this week icry...no idrink
                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                      Ecig heads... Some bargains to be had as new law in tonight.

Esmokeireland 30 ml wingnuts premium usually 12 quid odd down to 3.50.iv taken all the 18 mg lemonade and all the cola

Gl you're welcome
                                                                                                      Do you still use the 18, I am on 6 for the last year or so, I think that would blow the head off me now

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                          Do you still use the 18, I am on 6 for the last year or so, I think that would blow the head off me now
                                                                                                          Yep, went down to 12 down to 6 back up to 18, shur better than a fag lol
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Some game, fair play to Scarlets they deserved it on the night

Comment

Whupped. Scarlets were comfortable winners of the second half, and were miles and miles ahead of us in the first.

Some woeful performances from Healy, JBP and Isa

Two semi final duckouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                Whupped. Scarlets were comfortable winners of the second half, and were miles and miles ahead of us in the first.

Some woeful performances from Healy, JBP and Isa

Two semi final duckouts.
                                                                                                                Going to the final for a stag next weekend.

This is disastrous.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Had a long meeting today where I was making notes and now trying to make sense of those notes. Just got pages and pages of this shite. But where is the structure? The meaning? Where does it start and end? Why did I feel the need to write 1 - 1 = 0?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                  The mystery here is how you didn't write your name, the name of some people in the meeting, any name a thousand times and didn't draw the standard doodling S.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                    Going to the final for a stag next weekend.

This is disastrous.
                                                                                                                    Ah Munster will be there, you'll be grand.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                      http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/c...ampaign=buffer

They failed to inform me of the dangers of the chip
                                                                                                                      $40k awarded http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...-000-1.3089556
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                        Awards like this are a big reason insurance is ridiculous in this country. How the hell can judges keep awarding batshit amounts like this?

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by MostUnfairlyTreatedPOTUS Evah
                                                                                                                          “I just fired the head of the F.B.I. He was crazy, a real nut job,” Mr. Trump said, according to the document, which was read to The New York Times by an American official. “I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

Mr. Trump added, “I’m not under investigation.”
                                                                                                                          Denny do you think your man understands that memos are taken at meetings like this or is he just an utter imbecile?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X