Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very few top quality shows from the last couple of years and fewer that have sustained into subsequent seasons.

The Leftovers
    Fargo
    Line of Duty
    Happy Valley
    Handmaids tale (season 1 only)
    Better call Saul
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

enjoyed Taboo, Fargo, Happy valley and Manhunt: Unabomber as mentioned already, anyone that enjoyed Manhunt would enjoy Mindhunter alwell
      Heres a few others worth a watch and coincidentally new seasons of all 3 came out this week
      Mr Mercedes
      Narco's
      The Sinner
      The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
      MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Watched a couple of episodes of the Unabomber one last night, seems really good. Will continue.

Like the look of Taboo also.

I watched all of the Leftovers and really liked it. Watched a few episodes of Fargo a while back but the better half didn't take to it.

My kingdom for a new season of Rick and Morty.

Comment

Disenchanted, Matt Groenings new show, has had some good reviews from people I know, most notably lying our own AndyFatBastard.

Power is on season 5 now if you want a bit of gangsta without putting too much thought into it.

Geralds game is a film but worth a spin. Stephen Kings work.

Comment

Oh yeah, they wouldn't be in my usual line but we watched This Is Us and Big Little Lies earlier this year and thought they were both excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              Disenchanted, Matt Groenings new show, has had some good reviews from people I know, most notably lying our own AndyFatBastard.
              I see that advertised on Netflix a lot, didn't put 2+2 together as Groening's new one - heard it's good as well.

Comment

Happy Valley & Line of Duty are good. I have a tendency to watch the UK shows lately.

One that I didn't spot mentioned is The Killing, I was a big fan of that.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                  Happy Valley & Line of Duty are good. I have a tendency to watch the UK shows lately.

One that I didn't spot mentioned is The Killing, I was a big fan of that.
                  +1 for line of duty. DESK DUTY ONLY!!

Also enjoyed the killing but season 3 was a load of shite. Just watch season one and two imo.

Another British show, Luther. Idris Elba isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's good in it and I'm a big fan of his.

Comment

Watched a few episodes of Luther and I think for whatever reason the straight up British cop procedural genre doesn't do it for me.

As a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast I'm fairly pleased with the version they have with Martin Freeman and your man who played Alan Turing.

Comment

Any good drama out in the last few years?

Not really watching anything at the moment, Saul doesn't do it for me. Miss the days when we had mad men and a ton of good stuff on.

Comment

I enjoyed Paradise PD a lot more. Extremely juvenile gross out stuff, probably best after a few pints.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Any good drama out in the last few years?

Not really watching anything at the moment, Saul doesn't do it for me. Miss the days when we had mad men and a ton of good stuff on.
                          BCS has gone to shit. I think it's always sunny is bsck again this week

Comment

I've watched season 1 of Atlanta and thought it was excellent but haven't started on season 2 as of yet. American Crime Story season 1 was really solid it was The People vs OJ and season 2 wrapped up awhile back and took on the story of Gianni Versace.

If you're looking for a bit of comedy I thought Broad City was hilarious and they plan and finishing after the 5th season (currently aired 4)

The Deuce was solid HBO stuff season 2 is to begin airing this month.

I watched Death Row Chronicles on a flight recently and it was thoroughly engrossing if you're into documentary stuff, 6 episodes long.

Few shows lined up that I haven't gotten to yet Waco/Patrick Melrose/The Young Pope/Succession/Sharp Objects/Search Party/Mr Mercedes /Counterpart/Feud/The Alienist/American Gods
                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

American Crime Story was great, S2 wasn't as good but was interesting in the sense of giving an insight into a world I'd know zero about.

Watched one episode of Young Pope, American Gods and a couple of Counterpart but none of them were great.

Comment

Glow on Netflix is excellent, my gf is big fan too. The premise is good and it deals with a lot of current social themes really well. It's a lot more than an oddball comedy with a few young ones in skimpy attire. Only half hour episodes too. It has Alison Brie in it too so I know that's enough to get TylerD watching it!

Other than that the only new show I started watching recently was Atlanta and its excellent. Darius is a legend.

Comment

Ozark is underrated. Great show, Season 2 on Netlfix now.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    American Crime Story was great, S2 wasn't as good but was interesting in the sense of giving an insight into a world I'd know zero about.

Watched one episode of Young Pope, American Gods and a couple of Counterpart but none of them were great.
                                    Speaking of insight I'm looking to find a documentary about Monica Lewinksy & Bill Clinton if anybody knows of one, I'm gonna start Slow Burn season 2 it's a story I know but want to have more knowledge about it. Have sourced one thing called "How It Really Happened" but it doesn't seem like a pure legit documentary.

I'm a little hesitant about starting The Young Pope and that's why it's been sitting there for awhile, I do really like the premise of Counterpart and J.K Simmons is a boss.

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                    Glow on Netflix is excellent, my gf is big fan too. The premise is good and it deals with a lot of current social themes really well. It's a lot more than an oddball comedy with a few young ones in skimpy attire. Only half hour episodes too. It has Alison Brie in it too so I know that's enough to get TylerD watching it!

Other than that the only new show I started watching recently was Atlanta and its excellent. Darius is a legend.
                                    Oddly enough I don't really like it (even Alison Brie cant' save it for me) I've watched both seasons and just never really got hooked on it, rewatched the season 1 trailer the other night and it makes it look so much better than it is, it's watchable for sure but I wouldn't be recommending it.

Started The Crown last week with the girlfriend and took a couple episodes to get into it but it's been really good, some great storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                      Ozark is underrated. Great show, Season 2 on Netlfix now.
                                      Ozark is overrated IMO, episode 1 was really good but as it got midway and then to the finale it had seriously lost all it's hook. I'll give season 2 a shot though.

Really feel the last while Netflix has been hurting for quality programming just churning out garbage and mediocre programming and sticking "Netflix Original" onto anything.

Comment

Crown is brilliant, best thing I've watched in years. Yeah, Simmons does a great job but still isn't enough to carry it.

Comment

A show that was overlooked by many but I thought was very good is American Crime not to be confused with the OJ Simpson and Versace series of a similar name.

American Crime has three series each dealing with a different story and slightly disconcertingly for TV using the same company of actors in very different roles. Well written and acted its certainly better than a lot of the recent crop and interestingly came from ABC rather than one of the subscription services.

Comment

New season of Bojack Horseman inc next week
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

New Norm Macdonald show starting on Netflix on Friday 14th.

Edit for ad:

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 07-09-18, 18:41.
                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I hoovered through the Jack Ryan series on Amazon Prime.
                                                Not bad but Condor was a much better show in the same flavour

Both worth a watch
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

another i haven't seen mentioned and was excellent was the night manager
                                                  The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
                                                  MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Any love for the handmaids tale? Thinking of giving it a spin

Comment

What the absolute fcuk with Better Call Saul?. They are making an absolute hatchet job of it. This season shite, last season not much better. How can they be making this bad a job of it?.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        Any love for the handmaids tale? Thinking of giving it a spin
                                                        Have watched about half of season one so far and think it is excellent, but heavy.

Comment

Have now watched four or five episodes of Taboo. It's very atmospheric, a touch heavy but compelling. Tom Hardy has some presence. Would be glad if the pace began to ratchet up a bit from now however.

Watched the first episode of Castle Rock the other day as well. Wasn't particularly taken with it. What's the consensus?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            Watched the first episode of Castle Rock the other day as well. Wasn't particularly taken with it. What's the consensus?
                                                            Me and ole are big fans. Haven't heard anyone else talking about it.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

The Detectorists is a nice easy show to watch and quite enjoyable.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Have now watched four or five episodes of Taboo. It's very atmospheric, a touch heavy but compelling. Tom Hardy has some presence. Would be glad if the pace began to ratchet up a bit from now however.

Watched another episode of Taboo the other day, drawn in by it again - hoping for a strong finish in which case I imagine I'll be very complimentary of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                  Me and ole are big fans. Haven't heard anyone else talking about it.
                                                                  7 episodes in. I like it, my wife is like "wtf is this"??!!!

really funking for a solid finish as it's definitely a slow burner, so needs to deliver

Comment

Are you familiar with other Stephen King books?

Comment

Are you familiar with other Stephen King books?
                                                                      definitely read a few!!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                        7 episodes in. I like it, my wife is like "wtf is this"??!!!

really funking for a solid finish as it's definitely a slow burner, so needs to deliver
                                                                        That episode 7 though !!
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                          definitely read a few!!
                                                                          that should give you a hint re ending

Comment

that should give you a hint re ending
                                                                            As i read somewhere,
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            King couldn't finish his lunch
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

#98
                                                                              Loved Taboo, production was lush. Ending wont disappoint, was keeping an eye out to see if they gonna make any more.
                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

#99
                                                                                Maniac is decent. Has Mr Robot vibes if not quite as skillfully crafted.
                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                  Loved Taboo, production was lush. Ending wont disappoint, was keeping an eye out to see if they gonna make any more.
                                                                                  Meant to post back after, I enjoyed Taboo a lot overall. Would watch another season happily. Tom Hardy has some presence.

Any other recommendations at the moment? I have a long flight on Saturday so looking for a few episodes of something to stick on the phone.

I'm going to have a look at a few eps of the new season of Making a Murderer. I get the impression people are liking it.

I'm watching the first episode of The OA on Netflix here. Seems like it's probably a bit mad and might be up my street - anyone watched it? Godless is another one that sounds like it might be good.

Comment

Godless is very good, Haunting of Hill house i quiet enjoyed, very bingable on a flight.

Channel zero is another one i like, a bit out there but at only 6 episodes per series it doesnt require too much commitment.
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Only a few episodes left in Better Call Saul season 4 - I presume this runs it up to where BB starts and there's no more to come?

Great show.

EDIT:- Just see there's a Season 5 in the works - great stuff!

Comment

Patriot wasn't something I had come across before but popped onto the radar as a new second season was released last month after a couple of years hiatus. Just finished the first season and highly recommend. It has some great dark comedy elements and is just wonderfully off beat in general.

Opr

Comment

Watched the first season of Line of Duty over the break after recommendations here and elsewhere and thought it was really good.

Like a sort of flimsier (but consequently requiring less brain power), British version of the Wire.

Comment

Watched the first season of Line of Duty over the break after recommendations here and elsewhere and thought it was really good.

Like a sort of flimsier (but consequently requiring less brain power), British version of the Wire.
                                                                                            I just watched the whole lot since start of December, currently on the last ep of S04. Enjoyable but need to accept some crazy circumstances and turn off the brain for parts and just accept it! I see S05 will be released this year

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                              I just watched the whole lot since start of December, currently on the last ep of S04. Enjoyable but need to accept some crazy circumstances and turn off the brain for parts and just accept it! I see S05 will be released this year
                                                                                              I had surmised from some comments elsewhere that it might get a bit wacky as it goes on alright!

Comment

Watched all of Line of Duty over the last couple of months too. Very enjoyable. Currently ploughing through Peaky Blinders as I've watched it in bursts before but never straight through in order. Watched Sunderland Til I Die over xmas and thought it was very good. Short and simple and if you're into football at all it should pique your interest. Have Luther lined up next as again I've probably seen it all but not in order and can't remember it all. Getting ready for new seasons of all of the above this year. Don't think I'll manage a full re-run of GoT before that returns this year too!

Comment

Ones I am looking forward to new seasons of in the coming months:

Rick & Morty (fingers crossed)
                                                                                                  Better Call Saul
                                                                                                  Stranger Things
                                                                                                  Star Trek: Discovery
                                                                                                  Survivor
                                                                                                  Taboo
                                                                                                  Altered Carbon

Comment

Ones I am looking forward to new seasons of in the coming months:

Rick & Morty (fingers crossed)
                                                                                                    Better Call Saul
                                                                                                    Stranger Things
                                                                                                    Star Trek: Discovery
                                                                                                    Survivor
                                                                                                    Taboo
                                                                                                    Altered Carbon
                                                                                                    Stranger things is released on 4th July.
                                                                                                    Discovery is coming out on 15th January.
                                                                                                    Altered Carbon won't be till end of year at the earliest.
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Currently flying through De Dag (the day) which is on the virgin on demand service for free. Flemish hostage drama, very good so far

Comment

My brilliant friend
                                                                                                        One of the best things I've ever watched. (Subtitled)

Comment

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 has started being released if anyone else was watching it.

Comment

We still haven't got internet or Sky installed in the house so we're watching boxsets atm.
                                                                                                            Maybe I'm missing something or it hasn't begun to get good but I'm 6 or 7 episodes into The Wire and I'm not getting the hype. I know it's so highly regarded though so I'm assuming it's me.

I gave up on GOT after 4 seasons, always liked it but just didn't get back into it, I'm thinking I'll start that again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                              We still haven't got internet or Sky installed in the house so we're watching boxsets atm.
                                                                                                              Maybe I'm missing something or it hasn't begun to get good but I'm 6 or 7 episodes into The Wire and I'm not getting the hype. I know it's so highly regarded though so I'm assuming it's me.

I gave up on GOT after 4 seasons, always liked it but just didn't get back into it, I'm thinking I'll start that again soon.
                                                                                                              It's you. UL

Comment

Is better call Saul worth sticking with about 5-6 eps into season 1 and struggling tbh
                                                                                                                Same with Bojack horseman, started season 2 and not bothered. Both raves about but I can’t see it
                                                                                                                20 years on and with the exception of the wire nobody has really come close to The sopranos

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                  Is better call Saul worth sticking with about 5-6 eps into season 1 and struggling tbh
                                                                                                                  Same with Bojack horseman, started season 2 and not bothered. Both raves about but I can’t see it
                                                                                                                  20 years on and with the exception of the wire nobody has really come close to The sopranos
                                                                                                                  I really like Better Call Saul and think I have a recollection of the first few episodes being a bit weaker alright.

Comment

Starting watching a show called Fauda on Netflix last night. Israeli v Palestine cop show it seems which started promisingly. Leave the political views at the door I'd say as seems to be from quite the pro-Israeli stance so far. Big Little Lies was decent if not a bit silly in places.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                      Bojack is top notch IMO and gets better by the season, a few decent laughs and the cartoon animals make for far more real human characters than we see in anything else I can think of recently.
                                                                                                                      I've got through 4 series of it and will be rationing out S05, its a very long time since any 25 minute comedy kept me coming back for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                                        It's you. UL
                                                                                                                        I just noticed this now.
                                                                                                                        Obviously right, tried again, figured out the issue, I was watching it with GF who had zero interest.

I like the sound of Expanse that was mentioned on BBV, back on GOT but I'm considering trying to read the books before watching again.

Comment

I mentioned it in BBV but Kingdom on Netflix is a Netflix made cross between GoT and The Walking Dead set in medieval Korea. Production is top notch and it's tonally wonderful. 6 episodes, highly enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X