No More Fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workout 13, Tue 26th 7:30pm

Had a health screen today, so got weight and height measured. 150kgs on the nose at 6ft 3.5 inches. A little scary. Usual blah, blah during the physical about how I'm carrying the wealth well and am in good mechanical nick, but the message is consistently 'lose weight, lose weight, lose weight'. Fingers crossed bloods come back okay and I haven't started to make a change too late!

Warmup

Walk to the gym, foam rolling
    Stretches

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat

5 @ bar
    5 @ 60kgs
    5 @ 65kgs
    3 @ 67.5kgs
    3 @ 72.5kgs
    3 x 2 @ 75kgs

Need to work on keeping my chin up and weight on the heels, particularly at the bottom of the movement. Coach noticed a little knee cave on the second last set.

Metcon

50 Burpees
    20 Front Squats @ 70% (I was told to use 40kgs)
    50 Burpees

15 minute cap with proviso that A) you would take a full minute rest at the end of the first 50 Burpees and B) at the 12 minute mark you would finish up squatting if you hadn't already finished and go back to Burpees

Got:

50 Burpees
    11 Front Squats
    20 Burpees

done in the 15 minutes. Hard work but a very enjoyable session overall.
    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13, 21:03.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Workout 14, Wed 27th 7:30pm

Warmup

Shoulder dislocates, wall slides, hangs on the Pull Up bar

Skill Movement

Hi Hang Clean + Push Jerk

Did some movement practice with the bar, then a few attempts with bar, then a bunch of singles at 40kgs. Struggled to get under into a deep front squat after the clean so did them as a clean; reset; front squat; reset and then the push jerk

Practice and patience required on this stuff, but it's half an Olympic sport right?

Metcon

5 rounds with 20 minute cap:

32 Split Jumps
      16 Kettlebell snatches (alternate arm each set) @ 16kgs
      12 Pull Ups

Got as far as completing the Split Jumps on the fourth round. The kettlebell snatches were difficult.
      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 19-05-13, 21:13.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A good reminder of why it's worth sticking with these more complicated lifts. Would be nice to move some weight like so in a couple of years time.

Comment

Workout 15, Fri 1st 7:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling, stretches
          400 metre jog, stretching
          Shoulder dislocates, wall slides

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts with mixed grip

3 @ 50kgs
          2 @ 80kgs
          2 @ 100kgs
          2 @ 100kgs
          3 x 1 @ 120kgs

Metcon

Modified for me as:

7 finger to toes situps
          15 12 inch over the box jumps

AMRAP in five minutes
          Then rest one minute

Then As many Push Ups as possible in 2 minutes

Managed two full rounds and up to 11 box jumps in the third round then 19 Push Ups. Hard but enjoyable.

Seems that for the next few Fridays we will be doing whatever workout has been released for the Crossfit Open so the Met Cons should be fairly intensive.
          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13, 21:04.

Comment

Workout 16, Saturday 2nd 11:00am

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
            400 metre jog
            Shoulder dislocates then step by step Snatch movement practice with PVC pipe

Skill Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Snatch

I worked from the hang. Did a few triples with the bar, then a couple of doubles with 30kgs then three singles with 35kgs. All practice so all good, but it is surprisingly tiring work.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

9 Thrusters @ 35kgs (should have been 50kgs)
            18 kettlebell swings at 24kgs (should have been 32kgs)
            9 Wall walks

Got the first round done but, really, the wall walks knocked the stuffing out of me. Struggled through the thrusters and swings in the second round and got one wall walk done before time expired. Very tough!

Comment

Snatch is hands down the most tiring lift imo. Good going Lloyd.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Workout 17, Monday 4th 7:30pm

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
                Foam rolling
                Leg swings and then snatch movement practice with a PVC Pipe

Skill Movement

Snatch practice with a split between the first pull and the remainder of the movement

Just used the bar with some wooden plate markers to give the bar height off the ground. Practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

Run 400 metres
                25 Wall Ball shots with a 20kgs weighted ball
                1 minute break after round one and 2 minute break after round 2

I HATE running. I was never a man for it even when I was in shape. I could run around a Gaelic Football pitch or squash court no problem, but going out for a run just to run was never my thing. As such, metcons that start to incorporate running are going to be very tough but I'll have to deal with it.

As it was, I made a total meal of this. Went out hard and attacked the first 400 metres, returning to the gym third of the eleven people doing the workout. Went to address the weighted ball and got a sudden reminder that I am 150kgs with little or no cardio work capacity. By the time I'd finished the 25 wall balls and had my minute rest I was last out for the second run and people were starting to return. Second run and second set of wall balls were awful. Finished the second set with 12:40 on the clock and coach told me I was done.

He did note however that my wall ball shots were all of a high quality - good depth and form on the squat and hitting the marker every time. So that was something I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  Workout 18, Monday 4th 7:30pm

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
                  Foam rolling
                  Leg swings and then snatch movement practice with a PVC Pipe

Skill Movement

Snatch practice with a split between the first pull and the remainder of the movement

Just used the bar with some wooden plate markers to give the bar height off the ground. Practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

Run 400 metres
                  25 Wall Ball shots with a 20kgs weighted ball
                  1 minute break after round one and 2 minute break after round 2

I HATE running. I was never a man for it even when I was in shape. I could run around a Gaelic Football pitch or squash court no problem, but going out for a run just to run was never my thing. As such, metcons that start to incorporate running are going to be very tough but I'll have to deal with it.

As it was, I made a total meal of this. Went out hard and attacked the first 400 metres, returning to the gym third of the eleven people doing the workout. Went to address the weighted ball and got a sudden reminder that I am 150kgs with little or no cardio work capacity. By the time I'd finished the 25 wall balls and had my minute rest I was last out for the second run and people were starting to return. Second run and second set of wall balls were awful. Finished the second set with 12:40 on the clock and coach told me I was done.

He did note however that my wall ball shots were all of a high quality - good depth and form on the squat and hitting the marker every time. So that was something I guess.
                  Your effort and enthusiasm is plain to see. Keep up the good work man! I hate running too. Its for masochistic freaks.

Comment

Workout 18, Tue 5th 6:30pm

Warmup

Stretches

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat

5 @ bar
                    2 @ 60kgs
                    5 @ 67.5kgs
                    3 @ 72.5kgs
                    3 @ 75kgs
                    3 x 2 @ 80kgs

Keep those knees out, slow and tight down, explode straight up. Am pausing a bit at the bottom and need to stop that.

Metcon

1 minute of:
                    5 Hang Cleans @ 40kgs
                    1 minute of:
                    Burpees

5 rounds

The idea was that you would get the five cleans done and then spend the rest of the minute split jerking; and that you would take the last 10 seconds of the first four Burpee rounds as a breather. Got two Split Jerks done the first round but just did the cleans for the other four. Shattered at the end.

Clean needs work. Going to start going to every Power Clean day and just try and learn the movement a bit better with nothing more than 30kgs.
                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13, 21:05.

Comment

Just on the cleaning every day thing.

I did the same to learn the movement. Essentiallt blunt force trauma'd myself to learn it. Mirrors, coaching and videos. Sometime a bit if grunt is needed.

That said, it tends to lend itself to niggly repetitive injuries. Cuffs/Arms/Hips depending on form can be strained. No doubt the coaching is sweet but just something to keep in mind.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I did the same to learn the movement. Essentiallt blunt force trauma'd myself to learn it. Mirrors, coaching and videos. Sometime a bit if grunt is needed.

That said, it tends to lend itself to niggly repetitive injuries. Cuffs/Arms/Hips depending on form can be strained. No doubt the coaching is sweet but just something to keep in mind.
                        Yeah, it's no fun right now. Just an awful lot to take in, lots of components. Address the bar and arch correctly; take the tension out; chest up; get above the knees; then shrug up and hip snap; loosen the grip; get under the weight; get good placement on the catch;

As with the snatch it's just so much to take in and there's only one thing for that...

Comment

Workout 19, Wed 6th 6:30pm

Warmup

Skipping
                          Scap prehab drills
                          Stretches

Strength Movement

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Yeah, it's no fun right now. Just an awful lot to take in, lots of components. Address the bar and arch correctly; take the tension out; chest up; get above the knees; then shrug up and hip snap; loosen the grip; get under the weight; get good placement on the catch;

As with the snatch it's just so much to take in and there's only one thing for that...
                          Establish a 1 Rep Max Power Clean

So I set up 30kgs on the bar and informed the coach that I'd just do some practice with that. He decided that was defeatist and instead proceeded to coach me rep by rep through the following:

3 @ 30kgs
                          3 @ 30kgs
                          2 @ 40kgs
                          2 @ 40kgs
                          1 @ 45kgs
                          1 @ 45kgs
                          1 @ 50kgs
                          1 @ 50kgs
                          1 @ 55kgs
                          1 @ 60kgs (real ugly)
                          1 @ 60kgs (possibly best of the night)

So I now have a clean, hurray!!

Metcon

2 minutes to:
                          20 Kettlbell Swings @ 20kgs
                          12 Lateral 12" Box Jumps
                          Push Ups with remainder of 2 minute period

1 minute rest

5 rounds

Got 3 Push ups done the first round, then just the swings and jumps every other round - short one jump the last round. Wrecked after.

That's three sessions in three nights and five sessions in six days. A little beat up and looking forward to a day off tomorrow.
                          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 08-03-13, 21:05.

Comment

So I set up 30kgs on the bar and informed the coach that I'd just do some practice with that. He decided that was defeatist and instead proceeded to coach me rep by rep through the following:
                            Ugh, there's nothing wrong with babysteps. Most people I've ever trained with even on day one would be more than able to squat an empty bar, but they all start with just that.

Learning the lifts thoroughly from the bottom up and not testing too quickly is pretty essential I would say.

I know its frustrating when you're lifting a weight that you know you're able to no problem, but the thing is that while your glutes might have zero issues, or your quads could lift it all day, there's stability issues that you can't feel being fixed/set in place by the lift that if you don't 'set' right, will take an age to iron out.

I'm pretty medicated right now, but hopefully someone else will explain this properly.

(It's actually one of my only gripes about crossfit, and it's seriously common)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                              Ugh, there's nothing wrong with babysteps. Most people I've ever trained with even on day one would be more than able to squat an empty bar, but they all start with just that.

Learning the lifts thoroughly from the bottom up and not testing too quickly is pretty essential I would say.

I know its frustrating when you're lifting a weight that you know you're able to no problem, but the thing is that while your glutes might have zero issues, or your quads could lift it all day, there's stability issues that you can't feel being fixed/set in place by the lift that if you don't 'set' right, will take an age to iron out.

I'm pretty medicated right now, but hopefully someone else will explain this properly.

(It's actually one of my only gripes about crossfit, and it's seriously common)
                              Meh, I can't disabuse people of bad perceptions of Crossfit. All I'll say is I was getting advice and demonstration after each rep and I was cut short of going any heavier even when I felt there was more to come. I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly. I know you're waiting to pounce on any story like this though so fire away.

Comment

Meh, I can't disabuse people of bad perceptions of Crossfit. All I'll say is I was getting advice and demonstration after each rep and I was cut short of going any heavier even when I felt there was more to come. I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly. I know you're waiting to pounce on any story like this though so fire away.
                                lol what, I basically do Crossfit Training!

Caveman = Crossfit

Move heavy things

What I don't like seeing is people thinking that lifting a heavier weight is better than lifting a lighter one. There's a massive proviso there that gets ignored. People sacrificing form for additional weight = Injuries. It's that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                  lol what, I basically do Crossfit Training!

Caveman = Crossfit

Move heavy things

What I don't like seeing is people thinking that lifting a heavier weight is better than lifting a lighter one. There's a massive proviso there that gets ignored. People sacrificing form for additional weight = Injuries. It's that simple.
                                  Fair enough, my form was okay apparently, and I'm unlikely to be allowed to go heavier on the lift for the next 8 weeks.

There is a lot of study of these lifts going on in my spare time at the moment!!

Comment

I think the point was that 30kgs was actually too light for me to be forced to work through the movement properly..
                                    Absolutely this 100%

It applies to all lifts, I warm up bench, squats, etc with empty 20kg bar but the full mechanics of the left don't start to fire until you hit about 60% of the load. It's especially true for Oly lifts, you can flick up an empty bar with out nailing every nuance. When it's too heavy and form breaks down, but there's definite a sweet spot in the middle for getting the form down.

I go through phases with cleans. I'll do it for a while and improve, then stop and lose it. Would love a coaching session tbh, I've prob got all sorts if jokes in my form.

Comment

Agree with Lloyd and Mellor here.

Theres a definite advantage to going a bit heavier.

I reckon if you could plot a 'form curve' for weight and technique it would probably look similar to an elongated bell curve.

Flies in the face of 'the ideal' but its true in my experience.

Comment

This evening is this apparently:

For more information go here: http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open/2013#tabs-1

Comment

I usually like training in my own hermit style but you're convincing me more and more to give CF a shot with this log.

Comment

Workout 20, Fri 8th 6:30pm

CROSSFIT OPEN 13.1

Competing is interesting. You can turn up to play five a side informally with the lads and you might think you're giving it 100%, but it'll always be a little short of how much effort you'd be putting forth in a summer six a side league - social standard or no. Likewise, I have been working hard in the metcons but saving that slight bit for my own safety and sanity. In work today just knowing that over 120k people worldwide were going to be trying the same thing as you over the weekend made it seem like a bigger trip down the gym. Then, when I arrived at 18:15, there was a very different vibe on the floor. A couple of people down watching, everyone being spotted individually. Just felt different.

Warmups

Now, up until a couple of weeks ago I had never attempted any part of the snatch. And it was only in the last week that I gave a full one from the floor a go. So having to get through 30 in one go for time was quite daunting - even if the weight was light enough to start with (35kgs for men for the first set).

I have to give my coach Will a ton of credit here. I was put on second and absolved from having to spot anyone so I could warm up the snatch (everyone did a snatch movement warmup with PVC pipe as a group beforehand). He talked me through warming up for the 17 minutes group one were doing their heat, and put a wooden block infront of my toes and moved me close to the wall to force me into keeping the bar closer to me on the way up and focus on achieving a decent bar path. Felt like my last few warmups were quite good as it got close to go time.

But where he really helped me out was in popping over before we got going to lay out a plan of attack. It was basically: real slow on the first 40 burpees. DON'T GAS OUT ON THEM. Do them in sets of five, then do the snatches in sets of three even though I should restart before each one. In my head I had hoped to maybe get 100 points. To be honest, I didn't even bother putting down weights for 62.5kgs. I was highly unlikely to make it that far and even if I did, trying to put up that weight from the floor at this stage would do more harm than good.

Heat

40 Burpees
                                            35Kg/20Kg Snatch, 30 reps
                                            30 Burpees
                                            62.5Kg/35Kg Snatch, 30 reps
                                            20 Burpees
                                            75Kg/45Kg Snatch, 30 reps
                                            10 burpees
                                            95Kg/55Kg Snatch, as many reps as possible

17 minute cap

I managed 81 points - got the first set of Burpees and Snatches and then 11 Burpees done. Judge was a massive help, nice fellah who encouraged me all the way through and kept me focused on good form cues as I tired. This was incredibly difficult needless to say.

There are many ways to look at my score. 81 will likely put me in a very low percentile of the people around the world who did it. But I was absolutely flat out, couldn't have done another rep. To know I gave it 100% is awesome. Dan Bailey put up 190. Doing 50% of what he can do isn't really that bad in some respects! My coach reckoned my total wasn't to be sniffed at anyway, so I'm actually happy overall even if any of you reading (and fair play if you read all this rambling) might rightly reckon it wasn't a lot of work achieved in the time.

Comment

Workout 21, Saturday 9th 11:00am

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
                                              Some stretching

Skill Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Clean and Jerk

Worked up to 45kgs. Coach insisted I go into a deep front squat after the clean just to try and practice all components of the movement. It's just tough putting all of a lift like this together but, as he said, you have to be patient and really think about having one main cue to work on every session.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

1 minute max effort front squats @ 45kgs
                                              1 minute max effort push ups
                                              1 minute max effort kettlebell swings @ 20kgs
                                              1 minute max effort pull ups
                                              rest 1 minute

We were told to ease back and try to set a target the first round of each that could be maintained and try and steal 15 seconds rest at the end of every work minute. I had slightly hurt my left hand during one of the clean and jerks and, noticing that I was favouring it, I was told to miss out the last set of front squats.

Wasn't my best workout. Extremely fatigued from last night - very difficult to go back down less than 24 hours after an absolute all out max effort. But I got some work in so got to look at the positives.

Comment

As an aside, it seems that one of the coaches got 161 points on last night's Crossfit Open workout, which puts him up there in terms of European competitors. Fair play I say.

Also, my direct coach wrote this a while back which I think some of ye might appreciate:

Originally posted by Will Walshe

It's your fault:

There’s a funny little full-circle that people go through with regards to learning good technique. You have a guy on day 1 who’s knees collapse in when he squats, and he learns “ok, I need to push my knees out when I squat”. After he’s been training a while you often see people blundering around in this phase of “oh, my glutes and external rotators are weak, so I need to do a lot of activation drills and specific strengthening exercises to work on this and fix the problem”. Finally, we get back to “you know what, the most specific strengthening exercise I can do here is pushing my knees out every time I squat”.

The cure for bad technique is good technique. The more you practice lifting with good technique, the stronger all the muscles responsible for maintaining good positions will become.

If you have a sticking point in a lift, you need to find ways to practice the lift without the problem happening. That could mean taking some weight off the bar and doing more volume, that could mean practicing one little piece over and over again by itself, or it could just mean being more patient.

The second you become the person who thinks “my knees collapse in when I squat heavier than 100kgs”, you've made it true. Your knees don’t just magically collapse, you LET them collapse by not pushing them out hard enough when you stand.

That’s a very important attitude shift – “my knees collapse” means it’s not your fault and there’s nothing you can do about it. “I let my knees collapse” means you fucked up the lift by looking for the path of least resistance and if you’d put more effort in to doing it right you would have got it.

Now, this is not a comfortable place to be, it is however, the best way to make progress. Adopting the attitude that your fitness problems are 100% your fault is the only way you can fix them.

“I don't have time to exercise” is insolvable. “I don't MAKE time to exercise” is something you can fix.

“I got caught out and had to eat in McDonalds” is insolvable. “I didn't plan my day properly, and I wasn't clever enough to order a salad and some hamburgers with no bun” is fixable.

“I was too tired to train” sounds like a big problem. “I’m tired all the time because I don’t train enough” can be fixed.

You’re a grown-up, and you can sort your own stuff out, but only if you believe that it’s something can fix.

Comment

Loving this log. Your enthusiasm and effort is definitely coming across.

How's the diet btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                    How's the diet btw?
                                                    Ugh. I think of food all the time?

I'm actually allowing myself a cheat meal right now with a pizza on the way but it's the first bad meal of the week. Bread, coke, sweets, processed food (well, apart from soup from messrs Cully and Scully I guess) and takeaways are a distant memory.

Plan is basically:

Porridge with some banana and honey morning
                                                    Meat, veg and spuds for lunch
                                                    If training a wrap with chicken and veg between work and the gym
                                                    Then a salad with soup or sushi as last meal of the day

A couple of coffees and lots of water

Need to throw more fish, nuts and fruit into the mix, but I'm sticking to the above pretty well. It's not paleo and it's not carb free but it's far and away superior to what I was sticking in the body during 2012.

If I'm back at the parents on a Sunday there'll be a dessert and I'll scramble some eggs on weekend mornings. The only other possibility of cheating is a Saturday evening. Barely had a drink since Christmas.

I could eat far better still, but it's definitely a decent enough start imo.

Comment

Workout 22, Monday 11th 19:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                      Some stretching
                                                      Some skipping
                                                      PVC Pipe snatch movement breakdown and warm up

Skill Movement

7X1 First Pull + Hang Snatch

Worked up to 40kgs. Having problems with jumping forward and taking a needless pause at the hip (which I'm not really cognizant of). And it's a power snatch at this stage - like the clean and jerk it's hard for me to get under the bar. Just have to keep going on a Monday and practice, practice, practice.

Metcon

3 minute AMRAP of:

Burpees

*Rest 2 minutes.

5 minute AMRAP of:

1 minute skipping
                                                      15 Power Snatches 35Kg/20Kg

Got 25 Burpees done and one round of skipping and snatches done.

For those wondering about the eerie similarity to Friday's Open event, the programming is actually written a week in advance and performed by the coaches in their workouts so that they can give better advice, etc. Kinda funny that they would have done this last week four days before the secret 13.1 workout ended up being burpees and power snatches!!

Comment

Workout 23, Tuesday 12th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                        Stretching, dynamic stetching
                                                        Some skipping

Strength Movement

High Bar Back Squat: 2X5 @ 70% – rest 45 seconds, 2X3 @ 75% – rest 45 seconds, 3X1 @ 80% – rest 30 seconds.

Notes: Sets at each percentage should be performed without re-racking the barbell. Take 90 seconds rest between each percentage.
                                                        Did worksets at 70kgs, 75kgs and 80kgs

This was dreadful, so tough. Leaving the bar on your back for that length while trying to maintain good posture before going down for more moderately difficult squats was a real challenge. Felt drained after.

Metcon

7 rounds of:

30 seconds max distance sled push
                                                        60 seconds rest

Notes: Each sled run should be an all out effort.
                                                        Done in teams of three. My god! So, so very hard. Very intense, ramped up all the more by the team element to it. Because the sled needs to keep moving you have to maintain focus and be switched on during your rest as you have to be right there to get behind the load when your work 30 seconds begins.

Pretty awesome session. Maybe 15 minutes total work and felt totally gassed after.

Comment

Workout 24, Wednesday 13th 18:30pm

Blah. Session was all skill work and was a bridge too far for my enthusiasm. Packed it in during the metcon, not good. Do better next time.

Comment

You're doing great Lloyd. Get some nice food into you today. Take a break and get back to it tomorrow. Consistency is all physcological.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                              You're doing great Lloyd. Get some nice food into you today. Take a break and get back to it tomorrow. Consistency is all physcological.
                                                              Cheers! Yeah rest today. Quitting is always a strange thing - you know you should just get on with it, but the demons take hold. I'll just get back at it tomorrow evening.

Comment

Don't let the haters win Lloyd. Prove em wrong.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" Speech by Eric Thomas (AKA ET The Hip Hop Preacher).Inspirational video f...

Comment

I echo the sentiments of the other guys. We all have days like that. It's how you react to a bad session that matters.

Comment

Cheers lads. Tonight's workout is this with 52.5kgs on the bar and a 24" box:

Julie Foucher and Adrian Bozman demo a video submission for Workout 13.2.

Which will be tough. Would like to get between four and five rounds done I think. Going to try and get out of work early, get down the gym and give myself the best shot at it.

Comment

Workout 25, Fri 15th 6:30pm

CROSSFIT OPEN 13.2

Had been looking forward to this all day.

Warmups

Warmup was different but very good, credit to the coaches again.

Gymnastic type stretches, dynamic band stretches
                                                                      Practice of the movements with just the bar moving to the workout weight

Then:

Row as hard as possible for one minute, then do three jumps; three presses; six dead-lifts and three jumps as fast as possible to get the heart going

This seemed a bit mad, but it was actually great prep as I was ideally warmed up at kick off.

Heat

10 minutes AMRAP with Bar starting on the floor:

5 Shoulder to Overheads @ 52.5kgs (I did something between a strict press and a push press - technique not good! )
                                                                      10 Deadlifts @ 52.5kgs
                                                                      15 Box Jumps (it was allowable to step up and down so that's how I did it - seemed smarter)

I managed 120 points, so four rounds on the button - had maybe 15 seconds after the last step down but just couldn't organize myself to clean the bar.

This was difficult psychologically. The Shoulder to Overheads were only a moderate weight but as you tire demons appear. I had about 2 minutes left when beginning the jumps / step ups in the last round and I allowed myself to settle for just completing that round. There might have been another 5 - 10 reps in the tank, maybe.

Again, it's a very low score in the grander scheme of things but got to accept the reality of where I am at this moment in time.

Comment

Workout 26, Saturday 16th 11:00am

Shortly after posting last night's session I passed out asleep on the couch and probably ended up sleeping 10 and a half hours altogether so there possibly wasn't the 5 or 10 reps left in the tank that I though there might have been last night.

Warmup

Walk to the Gym
                                                                        Skipping, stretching, wall slides, some dead hang swings

Strength Movement

Establish a 1 rep max Front Squat

So, hmm. So far any squat strength sessions have been High Bar Back Squat based, and I've generally only attempted Front Squats as part of metcon work which I've struggled with as it feels uncomfortable racking the bar after cleaning it. As such, I didn't have very high expectations here:

3 @ bar
                                                                        3 @ 40kgs

---

At this point coach noted that I was dipping my head forward and making a meal of the whole thing. Told me to focus on a point on the far wall and really keep my chest high - also asked me to move my hands closer when taking it from the rack. I also realised at this point that setting the rack up at the same point as I would the HBBS was a mistake. So I stripped the bar and took it off and adjusted the pins a notch lower.

This all made a huge difference!

3 @ 50kgs
                                                                        2 @ 55kgs
                                                                        1 @ 60kgs
                                                                        1 @ 65kgs
                                                                        1 @ 70kgs - asked one of the coaches there to take a close look at this one and he informed me depth and form were good and that it looked light
                                                                        1 @ 75kgs
                                                                        1 @ 80kgs - only got to parallel on this one I was informed
                                                                        1 @ 85kgs - this was a good rep and I was told to try 90kgs
                                                                        1 @ 90kgs - this felt fine so I asked if I could try one more
                                                                        1 @ 95kgs - had to grind it a little but "good rep" said the coach

Being greedy, I think there was more there but we'd run out of time allotted. Now, from reading other people's logs, etc it seems that generally your front squat will be less than your back squat so I'd imagine my 1 rep max back squat is probably much higher than the theoretical 1 rep max I've been basing Tuesday sessions off - which is good.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

50 double unders
                                                                        25 wall ball shots with 20kgs ball
                                                                        10 muscle ups (with muscle up progression)

This wasn't particularly enjoyable. I've not done a double under yet, so the first five minutes were filled with the coach trying to get me to skip more efficiently with tension maintained on the rope. Then the muscle ups - even from a kneeling start - are a bit of a disaster.

Did two good rounds of the wall ball shots though so something was achieved.

Comment

Thats an impressive front squat!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                            Thats an impressive front squat!
                                                                            Meh, relative to bodyweight it's not great. But I don't think I'd have managed anywhere near it two months ago which is the main thing!

Comment

#98
                                                                              Workout 27, Monday 18th 12:00pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                                              Some stretching
                                                                              Jumping jacks
                                                                              Intensive dynamic PVC pipe work

Skill Movement

7X1 Three first Pulls + Hang Snatch

Just worked with wooden plate markers on the bar. I need to move past a power snatch technique so for the next while I'll have to think about locking out at the top and practising an overhead squat. Until I feel comfortable with that movement getting under the bar will be a pipe dream.

Metcon

10 Minute AMRAP:

3 Hi Hang Cleans into Thrusters @ 40kgs
                                                                              3 burpee box jumps @ 20 "
                                                                              3 ring rows

Then repeat with 6, 9, 12, etc of each movement

Got to 5 Box jumps on the round of 9. The clean and thrusters used up too much energy as I am not able to do it all in one fluid movement. It was rather: clean, front squat, strict press. Hopefully thrusters will get better with practice

-----------

Bad news. For the last couple of weeks my knees have been bothering me a few hours after sessions - particularly when getting to your feet after sitting in work for a period, etc. It has only been getting worse so I asked my direct coach about it after the session, and after chatting he reckons it's a bout of tendinitis prolly caused by previously noted poor quad flexibility. He's going to modify each session so that I'm avoiding quad loading movements and I'll have to cut back on walking and try and ice the knees / stretch the quads more.

Irritating but probably good I mentioned it now rather than carrying on with it as I have been the past two weeks. He noted that if I don't deal with it now it could be the kind of thing that puts me out for months.
                                                                              Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 18-03-13, 14:03.

Comment

#99
                                                                                fair play lloyd

admire you giving it the dedication it needs

just to echo on the food front. If you work out really hard you will need to be eating a lot of the proper foods. 5 meals a day. start more chicken in the diet (chicken breast, come cajun powder and oven, simples)

you are dedicated to the training, just make sure the food is the same. The confidence you will get when you move up weights, can be echoed by the confidence you'll receive when others you know notice your weight loss and hard work.

Best of luck anyways
                                                                                GAA News Website

Comment

Great read, about to go to bootcamp this morning after a 6 week challenge where I changed my diet quite a bit. Going to get weighed, compare max reps and runs this morning to what I had done 6 weeks ago to see if I improved.

Is crossfit a bootcamp but more concentration on weights, heavy lifts? Might look it up as I think I would like to progress a bit more further now than what bootcamp can offer.

Comment

---
                                                                                    Now, from reading other people's logs, etc it seems that generally your front squat will be less than your back squat so I'd imagine my 1 rep max back squat is probably much higher than the theoretical 1 rep max I've been basing Tuesday sessions off - which is good.
                                                                                    Pretty much always the case, the back squat will be higher even in guys who only train the front squat (once they get the back squat movement$. Front squat will be about 70-80% of back squat , even in olympic lifters who train front squats a lot. So your back squat max is prob 120-130kg in theory.

Keep drilling the movement with the light weights and by the time the coach programs in a HBBS max test, you'll be ready for it.
                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 19-03-13, 01:52.

Comment

Workout 28, Tuesday 19th 19:30am

For the next couple of weeks my sessions will be individualized for me on account of my dodgy knees.

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                                                      Stretching
                                                                                      Leg Swings

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

Did some light warmups building up to 5 x 5 work sets:

5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                      5 @ 90kgs
                                                                                      5 @ 100kgs (tough)
                                                                                      3 @ 100kgs (dropped after 3, just couldn't hold it)

Rest four minutes

5 @ 90kgs

My grip really tested here. Previously, we've done short sets on these. Sets of five equals a lot of time holding the bar at the top. Very difficult - felt quite gassed throughout.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

20 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                      12 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                      Row 20 Calories
                                                                                      40 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                      9 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                      Row 40 Calories
                                                                                      60 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                      6 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                      Row 60 Calories

Got to 22 Kettlebell swings in the third round of same. The Pressing was surprisingly difficult. I've gradually been increasing the weight of the kettlebell work, and to do 82 @ 24kgs is another small indicator of progress.

Quite a heavy session hitting lower and upper body but knees felt faaaaaar better than they did after yesterday's snatches, box jumps and thrusters. Icing and stretching seems to be helping thus far.

Also, ordered some Power Perfects. Nearly thirty sessions in, seems a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                                                        Great read, about to go to bootcamp this morning after a 6 week challenge where I changed my diet quite a bit. Going to get weighed, compare max reps and runs this morning to what I had done 6 weeks ago to see if I improved.

Is crossfit a bootcamp but more concentration on weights, heavy lifts? Might look it up as I think I would like to progress a bit more further now than what bootcamp can offer.
                                                                                        So, I can only talk about the research, etc I did before I joined and what I've seen from CFI.

Crossfit is a general idea or concept of how to train. Becoming a Crossfit affiliate merely requires you to do the Level 1 cert and pay the registration fee. As a consequence, the standards and expertise will vary wildly from one box to the next. Crossfit.com put up generally retarded workouts on a daily basis that seem totally random and devoid of any programming objectives. As a stark contrast, the lads at Crossfit Ireland would consider themselves a strength and conditioning facility and take a long term cyclical view of training. The idea is to deliberately program for long term strength and fitness gains.

It's generally going to be expensive so research extensively before signing up with one imo. I had a good read through the CFI site, went onto boards.ie and hunted down every post referencing CFI, and asked plenty of questions about what I was getting for my money before signing a piece of paper. Do the same. Find every review you can find about the local places in your area, take a read through the daily workouts they have on their website (or ask for a couple of week's worth of examples if they don't post them publicly) and ask them what services you get for your membership. Will you be assigned a coaching resource you can ask questions about your own training and nutrition to privately? Do they have a physio on site or affiliated? What's the weekly schedule like?

In terms of CFI every session breaks down as follows:

10 minutes or so warmup and stetching

Demo of strength / skill movement
                                                                                        15 - 20 minute skill or strength barbell movement (squat variations; deadlift variations; Power Cleans; Overhead Press variations; Olympic Lifts and practice)

Demo of Metcon movements
                                                                                        10 - 20 minute Metcon (above movements at lighter weights; bodyweight movements; kettlebell work; rowing; running; box jumps; weighted sled pushes; gymnastic movements; probably more stuff I haven't seen yet)

The demos are NEVER skipped and there is generally a good ratio of watchful coaches who will stop you dead in your tracks if your technique is off.

------

I'm loving it but it is very tough. Now, I'm going four+ times a week and trying quite hard so, like anything else, you'll probably get out of it what you'll put in. Also you need to take into account your current level of fitness and training background. If the coaches are good they can scale everything but what I'm doing would be childsplay to some of the lads on here but is quite taxing for me. Two months in I feel more mobile and stronger. A huge change in body composition (which is mainly going to be diet) and cardio work capacity is probably months down the line yet, but I believe I'll get there. I reckon it's been a great investment thus far.

That's everything I know anyway, apologies for the length! Research your options and see I reckon...

Comment

Workout 28, Tuesday 19th 19:30am

For the next couple of weeks my sessions will be individualized for me on account of my dodgy knees.

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                                                          Stretching
                                                                                          Leg Swings

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

Did some light warmups building up to 5 x 5 work sets:

5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                          5 @ 90kgs
                                                                                          5 @ 100kgs (tough)
                                                                                          3 @ 100kgs (dropped after 3, just couldn't hold it)

Rest four minutes

5 @ 90kgs

My grip really tested here. Previously, we've done short sets on these. Sets of five equals a lot of time holding the bar at the top. Very difficult - felt quite gassed throughout.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

20 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                          12 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                          Row 20 Calories
                                                                                          40 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                          9 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                          Row 40 Calories
                                                                                          60 Kettlebell swings @ 24kgs
                                                                                          6 Strict Overhead Press @ 50kgs
                                                                                          Row 60 Calories

Got to 22 Kettlebell swings in the third round of same. The Pressing was surprisingly difficult. I've gradually been increasing the weight of the kettlebell work, and to do 82 @ 24kgs is another small indicator of progress.

Quite a heavy session hitting lower and upper body but knees felt faaaaaar better than they did after yesterday's snatches, box jumps and thrusters. Icing and stretching seems to be helping thus far.

Also, ordered some Power Perfects. Nearly thirty sessions in, seems a good investment.

How much is this costing you Lloyd? Great stuff so far, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                                                                            How much is this costing you Lloyd? Great stuff so far, keep it up.
                                                                                            Rates

Not cheap my man. I can see supporting expenses adding up down the line too in terms of foam roller, lifting shoes, additional gym wear; probably physio trips; quality supplements; general diet change.

I'm very much of the mind that it's worth it though!

Comment

E200 a month is nothing compared to what replacing all your clothes is going to cost

Comment

E200 a month is nothing compared to what replacing all your clothes is going to cost
                                                                                                Heh, while away from that yet...

Workout 29, Wednesday 20th 18:30pm

Wednesdays are proving the most difficult session by far. Got there a little early, picked up some supplements I'd be meaning to get for a while and when I sat down in the dressing room I realised I really wasn't up for it. I think the three days in a row is very tough at this stage and my knee was acting up a bit after bouts of extended sitting in work but I guess part of this whole thing is accepting you won't be 100% the whole time.

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                                                                Stretching
                                                                                                Shoulder prehab work

Skill Movement

5 of Three Hang Power Cleans + 1 Push Jerk

Bar
                                                                                                30kgs
                                                                                                35kgs
                                                                                                40kgs
                                                                                                45kgs
                                                                                                47.5kgs

Went fine, getting more comfortable cleaning the bar. When the knees heal up full squat cleans are the next door to be walked through

Metcon

20 minute cap:

Row 800 metres
                                                                                                50 ab mat sit ups
                                                                                                25 Push Ups
                                                                                                Row 400 metres
                                                                                                50 ab mat sit ups
                                                                                                25 Push Ups
                                                                                                Row 800 metres
                                                                                                Then repeat with 6, 9, 12, etc of each movement

Got to the 19th push up in the second set. Disappointed as when I was thinking it through earlier I really wanted to be on the rower when time expired. Push Ups kill me though, find bunches of them in metcons very difficult at this stage. Strength and efficiency needs to go up and weight come down before they will get easier.

Wrecked after, looking forward to a couple of days off. 13.3 hasn't been announced yet but my coach told me to skip it so I won't be back until Saturday morning.

Comment

How come you do 3 days in a row? Is it coaches recommendation or personal desire?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                    How come you do 3 days in a row? Is it coaches recommendation or personal desire?
                                                                                                    Classes are scheduled:

Monday
                                                                                                    Tuesday
                                                                                                    Wednesday
                                                                                                    Friday
                                                                                                    Saturday

Thursday and Sunday rest days.

Tuesday and Friday are generally heavier lift days, and Saturday tends to have the toughest metcon. Monday is generally the lightest / most technical day.

So I just go as it's set up basically.

Comment

Workout 30, Saturday 23rd 11:00am

Smallest of little milestones - 30 training sessions in 8 weeks.

Warmup

Had a few drinks last night so was a little slow getting up and down to the gym meaning I didn't have time to foam roll and stretch. Not clever.

PVC Pipe warmup with some leg swings and stretching

Skill Movement

15 mins to establish a 1RM Power Snatch
                                                                                                      Bar work
                                                                                                      30kgs
                                                                                                      32.5kgs
                                                                                                      35kgs
                                                                                                      37.5kgs
                                                                                                      40kgs
                                                                                                      42.5kgs
                                                                                                      45kgs
                                                                                                      47.5kgs

Never in danger of missing one but time ran out. That said, probably wouldn't have a whole lot more using the technique I'm using. At some point I'm going to have to start getting under the bar to some extent and start catching and driving. Right now I'm pulling to the hips and just shooting it straight up to extension with a small jump off the floor. You throw another 10 kgs or so on the bar and I won't be able to drive it that high from the hips, so I'll have to start meeting it somewhere in the middle.

Metcon

50 Ring Rows
                                                                                                      EMOM beginning on the first minute (1:00 on the clock) perform 3 Power Cleans @ 55kgs.

*Rest 2 minutes.

50 Pushups
                                                                                                      EMOM beginning on the first minute (1:00 on the clock) perform 3 Power Cleans @ 55kgs

7 minute cap for both sections
                                                                                                      So tough. As it went on so much more of the minute was used up by the power cleans. During the 15th minute I had two misses, waited 20 seconds and just got the one, but managed all three every other minute - some minutes with no additional work. Wrecked after.

Touch wood, but the knee felt fine after. Iced it anyway as a precaution but I am noticing some improvement with it.

Comment

Workout 31, Monday 25th 19:30am

Warmup

20 minute walk to the Gym
                                                                                                        Foam Rolling
                                                                                                        Light Rowing for 2 minutes
                                                                                                        Some stretching
                                                                                                        PVC Pipe Snatch warmup

Skill Movement

EMOM for 5 minutes:

2 Power Snatches @ 40kgs

Then, when the clock hits 5:00-

2 minute AMRAP of:

Power Snatches @ 40kgs

NOTES: Score is total reps completed in 7 minutes. There are only 2 attempts allowed during the EMOM portion. The goal is to test consistency of technique and repeatability under load.
                                                                                                        Deliberate pull from the floor; shrug up with high elbows, move feet apart rather than an upward jump.

Lots of time from the coaches tonight as there was only four of us training in the session. Getting better at making it one smooth movement. Managed five reps in the final two minute period but the emphasis was on quality rather than quantity.

Was gassed after this - very tiring movement as discussed before.

Metcon

1 minute Max Effort Pushups

-then (no rest)-

4 minute AMRAP of:

7 Overhead Press @ 45Kg
                                                                                                        10 Pull-ups
                                                                                                        150m Row

-then (no rest)-

1 minute ME Pushups

-then (no rest)-

4 minute AMRAP of:

7 Overhead Press @ 45Kg
                                                                                                        10 Pull-ups
                                                                                                        150m Row

-then (no rest)-

1 minute Pushups
                                                                                                        Jaysus. Overhead Pressing after Push ups is incredibly difficult even at a low weight. Left on the floor in a heap when time was called. Quite a brotacular metcon though, get those beach muscles sorted.

Comment

Nice work on the snatch.
                                                                                                          A crossfit just opened beside my MMA gym. I'm considering a couple of snatch & clean sessions. Just improving my tech should add a few kg.
                                                                                                          Overhead Pressing after Push ups is incredibly difficult even at a low weight.
                                                                                                          Absolutely. The movements are at complete right angles to each other, but there's huge crossover between shoulders, chest and scap stabilisation in both.

Comment

How have the weigh ins been going Lloyd? Are you moving in the right direction? Keep up the good work. Been enjoying reading your log.
                                                                                                            Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmc38 View Post
                                                                                                              How have the weigh ins been going Lloyd? Are you moving in the right direction? Keep up the good work. Been enjoying reading your log.
                                                                                                              Cheers Ian, hope you're well

Haven't been weighing myself! Just focussing on eating better and consistently applying myself at training. Belt is a notch tighter and I've noticed a small amount of upper body adaptation but there's no point worrying about the scales as of yet imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                Nice work on the snatch.
                                                                                                                A crossfit just opened beside my MMA gym. I'm considering a couple of snatch & clean sessions. Just improving my tech should add a few kg.

Absolutely. The movements are at complete right angles to each other, but there's huge crossover between shoulders, chest and scap stabilisation in both.
                                                                                                                CFI are doing an Olympic workshop next month that looks great. If my knee is healed up before then I'll give it a bash. Any inefficiency is punished mercilessly!

And yeah, reached what could only be described as 'muscle failure' on the presses.

Comment

Haven't been weighing myself! Just focussing on eating better and consistently applying myself at training. Belt is a notch tighter and I've noticed a small amount of upper body adaptation but there's no point worrying about the scales as of yet imo.
                                                                                                                  Reminds me of Will Heffernans' motto "If you're not assessing, you're guessing". As long as your happiness isn't intrinsically linked to the results, you should absolutely be getting weight and skinfolds checked once a month.

Comment

Reminds me of Will Heffernans' motto "If you're not assessing, you're guessing". As long as your happiness isn't intrinsically linked to the results, you should absolutely be getting weight and skinfolds checked once a month.
                                                                                                                    There are benchmark fitness tests built into the programming every couple of months; there is bloodwork / blood pressure tests to be done with my GP. There will be assessments carried out over the next year more important than what the scales have to say on a regular basis.

Was wondering when this would come up. I'm serious about making a lasting and sustainable positive change to my lifestyle and general health. The goal is long term so it seems to me that the progress measurement should fit that. I've no interest in running the risk of disheartening myself at this stage because there simply cannot be any motivation benefit right now - I'm at this five minutes in the grander scheme of things.

Comment

Excellent attitude in my opinion. Once you start focusing on weight loss you'll be checking daily and it will only distract you from becoming all round healthier. That was what I found anyway. Great log btw!

Comment

Workout 32, Tuesday 26th 17:30am

Warmup

Stretching
                                                                                                                        Leg Swings

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ Bar
                                                                                                                        2 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                        2 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                                        2 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                        5 x 5 @ 90kgs

Grip, grip, grip! I really want to drop the bar as the sets go on. Apparently my form on this is decent and safe though, and it doesn't trouble my knee whatsoever so a very positive movement for the moment. Fucking hard too.

Metcon

4 rounds for total working time of:

Row 400m
                                                                                                                        14 Kettlebell Swings (16kg)
                                                                                                                        7 Power Cleans 45kg

Rest 1:1

*Notes: 20 minute time cap. : Choose a pace on the Row that is roughly 90% of your best 400m. All 4 rounds should be at that pace, with the Burpees and Snatches being all out efforts.
                                                                                                                        Small indicator of progress: 16kgs kettlebell swings feel real light! Was able to do all four sets of them straight through. Got all the work done bar the last set of cleans so was well happy tbh.

Comment

Workout 33, Wednesday 27th 18:30am

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                                          Stretching
                                                                                                                          Scap prehab stuff

Skill Movement

EMOM for 5 minutes:

Power Clean & Push Jerks @ 45kgs

Then, when the clock hits 5:00-

2 minute AMRAP of:

Power Clean & Push Jerks @ 45kgs

NOTES: Score is total reps completed in 7 minutes. There are only 2 attempts allowed during the EMOM portion. The goal is to test consistency of technique and repeatability under load.
                                                                                                                          Got to work on a slow deliberate pull into a smooth clean, and then getting under the bar on the push jerk. The cue I was told to work on tonight was counting 3 seconds on the pull before driving up and it seemed to help make it flow better as one movement.

Got four decent reps done during the last 2 minutes. Quality over quantity. It's gassing doing work in this fashion which is partially the point of course.

Metcon

3 rounds of:

20 Situps
                                                                                                                          7 Pull-ups
                                                                                                                          20 KB Snatches (partition in any way) 16kg

Row 800m

3 rounds of:

15 Situps
                                                                                                                          5 C2B Pull-ups
                                                                                                                          15 KB Snatches (partition in any way) 16kg

18 minute cap
                                                                                                                          Yeah, I think the KB Snatch is the first movement I've seen that I think is a load of pure Crossfit bollocks. There have to be ways of getting the same type of training done with a safer and simpler movement. The way it was explained to me is that Crossfit is a sport and there will be certain skill based movements that are variations on other more obvious movements. Whatever.

Cut it down to five on each arm and got to the pullups after the row.

Also, had a pain in the left side of my chest during the metcon (ruh roh) that dissipated in the hour afterwards. Probably something related to the nature of work done this week (I got a slight blast of it during the scap pushups during the warmup) but, eh, will keep an eye on it so to speak.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 27-03-13, 21:09.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X