X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
    Charcoal grey suit; white shirt, brown brogue

What colour sock?
    Not loving a brown brogue with charcoal grey. Lighter grey perhaps but not charcoal. Black or ox blood brogue for me.

I just don't think this looks well for me this is better.

Having said that it may depend on how dark the charcoal grey is...
    Last edited by V for Vendetta; 06-07-17, 13:15.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The darker the grey suit, the darker the brown.

Here are some absolute basics, but with caveats, the list isn't that good but it's a nice start. Black shoes with blue suits are cack, even though a lot of bankers wear that. Black suit with walnut shoes, also I don't like, but like you get the idea, just see which you think look good from there. It helps to see what is available.

SPOILER
      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-07-17, 13:38.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        Not loving a brown brogue with charcoal grey. Lighter grey perhaps but not charcoal. Black or ox blood brogue for me.

I just don't think this looks well for me this is better.

Having said that it may depend on how dark the charcoal grey is...

Fella who picked the suit off rack for me spent 9 years as personal dresser to a president in the Carribbean

When I told him I was buying shoes, he asked what I thought, I said brown, black wouldn't be right, he nodded in approval

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          grey socks, brown belt.
          No belt if you can get away with it

Belt cuts the suit in half!

Comment

Fella who picked the suit off rack for me spent 9 years as personal dresser to a president in the Carribbean

When I told him I was buying shoes, he asked what I thought, I said brown, black wouldn't be right, he nodded in approval
            Well it's all about context I guess.

Don't forget this recent article though.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

That's behind a paywall, it's something like you can't wear the wrong tie or brown shoes to a financial interview in London? Whereas it would be odd to see anything but brown shoes in the wall st area and they are accepted in eupore.

Fin companies are often really weird and rigid, like I looked for work for a year between my degree and masters when the recession hit and that was enough to not even want to interview me. "We want candidates without any gaps in their career"

Another one asked for my LC results as they didn't accept anything under 560.

Don't call me I'll call you... lol.

Oh I remember another one, you had to clock out to use the toilet and it would come up in your review.

Comment

Not so sure the Caribbean is the formal sartorial capital of the world.

Comment

No belt if you can get away with it

Belt cuts the suit in half!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Not so sure the Caribbean is the formal sartorial capital of the world.
                    More formal than a West of Ireland wedding

Comment

Love this material, must buy all the things.

Comment

So where does the discerning gentleman purchase a new wallet these days. The free Boss one Lufthansa gave me a decade ago is falling apart!
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I use a card holder too, mine has 2 card slots on each side and notes go in the middle (sometimes I double up in a slot depending on what cards I want). It's slightly shorter height-wise than 50+ notes to show off.

Can't go back to a full wallet now, too large of a profile. These two are the ones I use but they all look like that:

SPOILER

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-07-17, 21:04.

Comment

Wedding Tux

Does anybody have a recommendations where I would pick up a decent tux for a wedding? I don't mind splashing on somewhat on it as I will get a couple of wears each year for various events.

Obv, Louis is well stocked but someone may have another recommendation?

Comment

A thread directed spam attempt, that was interesting

I agree with you, the styles of clothes show out what kind of this man. What`s more, the hairstyles also reflect how the man is, and I prefer man with refreshing cleansing hairstyles, such as the 2 shows in the article of.....spam spam spam
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I really wonder sometimes who simon crompton is writing for.

Comment

I really wonder sometimes who simon crompton is writing for.
                                  I actually think he doesn't give a damn as long as this writing past-time doesn't cost him money. It's basically a hobby writing for a very niche market that allows him access to people and places he wouldn't otherwise get into.

It seems to be aimed at a gent who wishes he was a well to do gentleman living 50 years ago sometimes, and yet some of the articles and features are cracking reads.

Comment

Opposite the Sporting Emporium there is a Tux place called Dorian Black, I got a very nice quality one there at a reasonable price.

This is where we bought the suits for the brothers wedding. Top place and a real experience. Up the windy staircase to the attic to get measured up and fitted out by Franck. Very relaxed environment for people who hate the whole suit fitting experience.
                                    Gave us bottle of champagne and other stuff on collection. I would thoroughly second this place.

Comment

Could anyone suggest a decent tailor in the city centre or southside who would be able to make a few adjustments to a suit jacket?

Comment

Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street.

Comment

Alteration Centre on South Anne St did wonders on a whole suit when I lost nearly 30kg, thought the suit was for the bin. They didn't believe I ever fit into it
                                          A lot of shops just use that place for their alterations.

Comment

Anyone know a shop where they stock Stutterheim in Dublin? If there are any.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                              Alteration Centre on South Anne St did wonders on a whole suit when I lost nearly 30kg, thought the suit was for the bin. They didn't believe I ever fit into it
                                              A lot of shops just use that place for their alterations.
                                              was that purely vegan weight loss?
                                              Thats quite a lot!

Scout is located on Unit 5, Essex Street West, Temple Bar, Dublin 8. Products include Grenson shoes, Electronic Sheep, YMC, Fog Linen & Tina Ratzer

For everything you need to know from key times, dates and in-store services, check out some of our key Dublin store details here online.

in dublin

https://www.tonymcdonnell.com in dundalk

For the raincoats.
                                              Got one for Mrs DP a while back
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Awesome thanks, I want a raincoat yeah. They are the same price online as in shops it seems anyway about €225-€300 I think? Pretty sweet present! I have a Rains one that is great but I have used the hell out of it. I really want to try them out in a shop for sizing as they seem quite oversized/long sleeved so may want to size down one or two sizes.

I tracked the weight loss and about 80% was diet even though I was exercising 5-6 times per week so that's definitely what helps most. I find it quite easy to go down weight eating vegan as I can still eat quite a lot of food since it's low calorie and feel satiated. Really helps mentally. I put on weight again after a car crash (sitting around and eating chocolate at home for months). I have got my act together and am down over 8KG (18lbs) again in the last 6 weeks and wouldn't have considered it much of a struggle. You'd want to be able to cook though I guess. I had to write down everything I ate for a week for my trainer guy and he was like wtf you're vegan and by page 3 he was like wtf you're grand
                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-03-18, 12:58.

Comment

^^^ I got a Stutterheim Coat and it's the best raincoat (or coat) I've ever had by far.

Over £100 off these atm but sold out in my size

Funking for one of these, probably blue:

Comment

With the evenings drawing in I've noticed my jumper collection is fairly grim. I want to get two or three of good quality that might last a bit. Any particular brand recommendations?

Budget wise I guess I'd be prepared to spend up to maybe €120 a pop.

Comment

Any recommendations for casual footwear?

Comment

Just been reading about Kiton shirts, checked them online

valooo

Comment

Anyone know a shop where they stock Stutterheim in Dublin? If there are any.
                                                          I have three of these now, so good.

Comment

Are tailors mark still the go to for shirts around here?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              Are tailors mark still the go to for shirts around here?
                                                              For me anyway, yes.

Have approx 20 of them and zero by any other manufacturer so all-in. Probably bought 30 down the years so they wear very well. The only time I ever had an issue, they instantly resolved it (was probably my fault tbf).

Would find it very hard to go back to shop-bought. As long as you buy when they are on offer, which is very frequent, then they're great value.
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                For me anyway, yes.

Have approx 20 of them and zero by any other manufacturer so all-in. Probably bought 30 down the years so they wear very well. The only time I ever had an issue, they instantly resolved it (was probably my fault tbf).

Would find it very hard to go back to shop-bought. As long as you buy when they are on offer, which is very frequent, then they're great value.
                                                                It's a while since I've bought fromthere, they've a sale on the premium fabrics now, I'm guessing there's not much difference ordering now vs the 50% of sales? (executive is €65 down from 110)

Comment

Have a bit of a shoe problem, as in I buy them far more often than the old one swear out so my collection keeps growing? I'm wearing boots that are 6 years old and are perfect, with new unused boots at home and just bought more boots made from "pinatex" - "pineapple leather", a material developed by somebody in the leather industry. Love me some boots.

Comment

Have a bit of a shoe problem, as in I buy them far more often than the old one swear out so my collection keeps growing? I'm wearing boots that are 6 years old and are perfect, with new unused boots at home and just bought more boots made from "pinatex" - "pineapple leather", a material developed by somebody in the leather industry. Love me some boots.

You’re much younger than I’d pictured, Nice jumper too.

Comment

Some say the professional photoshoots are too much for new purchases, bah humbug to them!

Comment

For me anyway, yes.

My last order was slightly too big, but when I look at the order details, the body measurements are the same, it's just the end measurements that are different. Is the end measurements, what the shirt actually is Not sure whether to adjust or not

Comment

Pulled the trigger on some Tailors Mark shirts for the new job.

60% off at the moment.
                                                                          Last edited by elbows; 22-02-19, 21:50.
                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

My local tailor Billy in Phibsboro. Love his non nonsense attitude. It's a real traditional place with an ancient sewing machine and Elvis memorabilia everywhere. My friend dropped them in trousers to him the other day. he didn't even look up when she went in, never took her name or details at all. Just said, while still working:

Billy: "Have it for ye in the morning".
                                                                            Billy: "What waist do you normally wear?"
                                                                            Friend: "I think I'm a 28".

And he just looks at me and goes "HA, you'd be doing well". Quickly measures her as a 33 and back to looking at his work. I love Billy.

Comment

Where to go for decent sports jackets and good honest advice from the salesman?
                                                                              They were never my thing before but picked up a few on clearance, love them and now want to upgrade to better quality fabrics

Comment

Worcestershire belts holding nearly five years later, only thing is the three brown belts I have all have darkened into pretty much the same colour.

Comment

For me anyway, yes.

Do you notice much variance in the size? I ordered one there that was way too big, but it was based off the same measurements as previous orders.

Comment

Do you notice much variance in the size? I ordered one there that was way too big, but it was based off the same measurements as previous orders.
                                                                                    The one’s I got were too small. Sent them a pic of me wearing them and they replaced them for no charge.
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

So tailors mark the goto place for shirts... what are their trousers like or is there somewhere better you'd recommend, tend to wear smart casual trousers in work (almost always buy in Ted Baker, but wouldn't mind finding something of similar quality/style at a better price.)
                                                                                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                        So tailors mark the goto place for shirts... what are their trousers like or is there somewhere better you'd recommend, tend to wear smart casual trousers in work (almost always buy in Ted Baker, but wouldn't mind finding something of similar quality/style at a better price.)
                                                                                        M&S seem to do the full range of beige,mustard and nearly mustard coloured trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                          i'm partial to both Gap and Timberland tbh, as they work well for me, and are very durable. It just depends on whether the cut of their trousers suits your morphology or not.

Comment

Were ye saying that Tailor's Mark place do a lot of sales? If so I'd appreciate a heads-up if ye notice one in the next while.

Comment

In case anyone missed mention of it in the BBV Tailor's Mark are having a bit of a sale today.

I'm finding choosing between the various casual shirts kind of difficult, they all look the same after a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                In case anyone missed mention of it in the BBV Tailor's Mark are having a bit of a sale today.

I'm finding choosing between the various casual shirts kind of difficult, they all look the same after a while!
                                                                                                Major kudos to Tailors mark customer service. Ordered a few shirts in this sale, 7 weeks later no sign of them.
                                                                                                Emailed them today and they mailed back within the hour apologizing and said it was due to fabric availability for 1 of the shirts, that it would be ready and shipped in 5 days, and they gave me a voucher code for 90 euro off my next order.

Comment

Anyone recommend a casual shirt from there to try out? I ended up overwhelmed with the variety of options that last time and never ordered anything.

Comment

My local tailor Billy in Phibsboro. Love his non nonsense attitude. It's a real traditional place with an ancient sewing machine and Elvis memorabilia everywhere. My friend dropped them in trousers to him the other day. he didn't even look up when she went in, never took her name or details at all. Just said, while still working:

Billy: "Have it for ye in the morning".
                                                                                                    Billy: "What waist do you normally wear?"
                                                                                                    Friend: "I think I'm a 28".

And he just looks at me and goes "HA, you'd be doing well". Quickly measures her as a 33 and back to looking at his work. I love Billy.
                                                                                                    I'd love to visit Billy one day just for a chit-chat

Comment

Anyone recommend a casual shirt from there to try out? I ended up overwhelmed with the variety of options that last time and never ordered anything.
                                                                                                      It could probably be laid out better for that kind of thing. Think with this kind of thing you have to be prepared to take a bit of a hit on your first order(so wait for a sale). I got a nice chambray which is pretty casual but you kind of have to work it out yourself re shirt length etc for casual v formal versus the likes of proper cloth(which I haven’t ordered from yet) which is laid out way more clearly wrt to casual v formal.
                                                                                                      Kind of get the impression that tailors mark is way more aimed at lads who tick shirts in on all occasions including into jeans

Comment

I should mention, I tried out this crowd - https://www.tailorstore.com/ - the other week.

They have a nifty app that just takes a few pictures of you and calculates your measurements from that. The shirt I ordered came anyway and to my surprise it was almost perfect. It's as near to as makes no odds really but I'm going to complain that the sleeves are about 1/4 of an inch too short (a genuine if pernickety complaint) as they guarantee perfect fit on your first order without the need to return, so I'll get a second shirt for free essentially.

I think I paid £48 which was a special offer for a first time purchase so very much worth a try.

Comment

How is everyone feeling about their belt purchases some time on?

Worcestershire and Equus are the two I can remember being mentioned in the thread, presume they are all holding up well?

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                            Bought a wallet and a belt from the Worcestershire leather company, great service and quality.
                                                                                                            How is everyone feeling about their belt purchases some time on?

Worcestershire and Equus are the two I can remember being mentioned in the thread, presume they are all holding up well?
                                                                                                            Bought in March 2015, belts fine, don't wear belts too often. Flimsy snap closing bit of the wallet broke fairly quickly but been using it constantly for 4.5 years with no issues.

Comment

I'm going to need a new suit for a couple of weddings next year. Previously I've always just gone cheap and cheerful with Next where you're talking about €2-300 for a two piece.

I could spend a grand for something if I really had to but probably will never get the opportunity to wear it to justify it. Work is smart casual and I rarely have social occasions that call for a suit. Is there any value in going to say €600 for a next level up, or what would be the recommendation?

Comment

Any watch enthusiasts post here or is it confined to the other place?

Curious to know if there's any decent deals for black friday.

Comment

Paul Costelloe in Arnotts is well worth a look, imo.
                                                                                                                  Thanks Noel, any rough estimate of what I'd be looking at for a two piece? Not in Dublin any more so popping in for a look is a bit of a hassle

Comment

Thanks Noel, any rough estimate of what I'd be looking at for a two piece? Not in Dublin any more so popping in for a look is a bit of a hassle
                                                                                                                    if there is one near you Hackett do fantastic suits also in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                      if there is one near you Hackett do fantastic suits also in that price range.
                                                                                                                      Don't have one of those nearby either unfortunately!

Unless things have changed you won't be breaking the 600 barrier anyway. Definitely nice suits and an appreciable step up from Topman/Next in terms of quality and longevity.
                                                                                                                      Great stuff, much appreciated.

Comment

I'm going to need a new suit for a couple of weddings next year. Previously I've always just gone cheap and cheerful with Next where you're talking about €2-300 for a two piece.

I could spend a grand for something if I really had to but probably will never get the opportunity to wear it to justify it. Work is smart casual and I rarely have social occasions that call for a suit. Is there any value in going to say €600 for a next level up, or what would be the recommendation?
                                                                                                                        I picked up a nice suit in Moss Bros. Last month in Dundrum for €450, it’s the best fitting suit I have and will definitely be back. Short of custom fitting I can’t imagine I’ll get better, they’re happy to do deals so do haggle.

Comment

We offer an impressive range of suiting brands, all renowned for exceptional quality and design, including Remus, Douglas, Magee, and Tommy Hilfiger
                                                                                                                          The above kind of sums up the fairly uninspiring offerings in tailoring in Limerick, at least from what I can see.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X