Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
    It is dependent on one or two weeks of good work, concentration and recall. (although many a career is made that way )

But people make it seem like its the luck of the draw on the day and that continuous assessment will magically solve this perceived problem. Is it actually a problem?

I dont think it is really a problem for the vast vast majority. The questions across all subjects rhyme across years, the sample papers and ability to almost forecast the papers mean that you can actually be prepared for them. The mocks do a good job of setting you up for the day in terms of expectations and process.

I suspect with continuous assessment the individual outcomes would be similar. The best would still be the best. It might cut out the outliers of a genuine bad run of events prior to the exams for some people though, like deaths in family, illness or whatever.
    It's not an education then is it!?

FWIW, I never had any problem passing exams, just thinking of the people I knew who felt left out by the system

How many of those you know probably depends on the school you end up in

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
      It's not an education then is it!?

FWIW, I never had any problem passing exams, just thinking of the people I knew who felt left out by the system

How many of those you know probably depends on the school you end up in
      How is it not an education?
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Well its an education in passing tests i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
          Well its an education in passing tests i suppose

All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The fairest thing about the leaving cert is it’s anonomity surely you are a number not someone known to the exam corrector. This is open to all sorts of corruption and bias. People saying the leaving cert is not important are deluded it’s the gateway to college hard to even get an apprenticeship without one now. Of course you can join a company at the bottom and work your way up but having your leaving then your further education degree etc shows you can apply yourself. Had a school 25 year reunion last weekend was quite enjoyable.

Comment

Looking at the way languages are taught for one thing, it's purely to pass an exam, not an actual education in learning a language.

Comment

Pretty sure I got the lowest leaving cert score of any of my mates..those that did the leaving cert anyway

Didn't hold me back too much
                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I was stabbed two days before my English paper one.
                  Blood was still oozing out of my head and my essay was more a rage induced rant at the mates who legged it rather than anything coherent.
                  I was also not in the best place to ponder on the meaning of yeats love letters at the time
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                    Pretty sure I got the lowest leaving cert score of any of my mates..those that did the leaving cert anyway

Didn't hold me back too much
                    You would have to admit there's a pretty strong correlation between Good LC\Go to Uni = increased lifetime earnings.

You're an outlier. I'd call you a black swan except you're more of a wild turkey.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Have a friend looking to offload 2 tickets for Jack Whitehall on Wednesday the 18th in 3arena if anyone is interested. Not my cup of tea at all but someone may be interested in him

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                        The fairest thing about the leaving cert is it’s anonomity surely you are a number not someone known to the exam corrector. This is open to all sorts of corruption and bias. People saying the leaving cert is not important are deluded it’s the gateway to college hard to even get an apprenticeship without one now. Of course you can join a company at the bottom and work your way up but having your leaving then your further education degree etc shows you can apply yourself. Had a school 25 year reunion last weekend was quite enjoyable.
                        An even fairer system that would be far more beneficial to some is to have exam assessors grade a batch of one question on an exam rather than the whole exam paper of a person.

Research shows that grading multiple versions of the same question produces less bias than grading the whole paper of someone. The bias isn't caused by the person as the examiners are independent and the probability they will know the person I'd say is quite low.
                        In the current system, lead with your best question as a primer to be given the benefit of the doubt when they grade your weaker questions.

This bias could be eliminated if the system was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          You can say what you like about the Leaving cert but its very fair and an effective test to sort out those who will work from those who are 'just' smart and as such is a great filter for college entry. Its also quite democratic with only marginal advantage gained from throwing money at it.
                          If you are "smart" (in the particular aspect of intelligence that these tests are for) you don't really have to study much for the LC, it's some memorisation and gaming the system. It wasn't until second year of college that things got difficult enough for me to learn wtf studying (and actual learning) is and still exams in college are so gamable (possibly a word) that I felt you do well based mostly on analysis of previous exam questions/answers over a couple of weeks, turning up to class not necessary.

Languages in secondary are taught so poorly, I could barely understand a word of Irish but some memorisation and you get a good grade. They are teaching poetry analysis in Irish to people who can't even hold a basic conversation. Then you get everybody to do exams on one day regardless of circumstance. Feeling sick for the week beforehand, tough shit amigo!

As for a filter, all it does is filter people based on popularity of a course, not filter them from getting in or not, or on difficulty of a course/career and so on.
                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 09-12-19, 14:33.

Comment

When a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters and the secret legacy their g...

and..

A new era of wonder begins. #WW84 only in theaters.https://www.wonderwomanfilm.com/https://www.instagram.com/wonderwomanfilm/ https://twitter.com/WonderWoman...

each one uplifting in its own way
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                              She's currently Guinea pig for that for junior cert be interesting to see how that fairs out.
                              Hope she takes her English spelling skills from her Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                An even fairer system that would be far more beneficial to some is to have exam assessors grade a batch of one question on an exam rather than the whole exam paper of a person.

Research shows that grading multiple versions of the same question produces less bias than grading the whole paper of someone. The bias isn't caused by the person as the examiners are independent and the probability they will know the person I'd say is quite low.
                                In the current system, lead with your best question as a primer to be given the benefit of the doubt when they grade your weaker questions.

This is a really interesting and good point, not one I've seen before but would 100% agree with this. Also, speaking as a former JC examiner (corrected JC Higher Level History papers during two different summers), it would also help if papers were randomised in terms of being from the same class and school.

You get a sealed bag from a given school, so if you somehow let bias impact you for whatever reason correcting the first paper, it could conceivably impact your correction of the remaining ones from that school. I'm only thinking of this as it would often be obvious within the first two papers from any given bag if that class/school was strong academically or not. I tried not to let this influence me much, but I would find myself being less strict marking the papers of a 'weak' bag than one where the vast majority of students seemed stronger.

I still recall being very sad finishing up marking a small bag from what must have been a very disadvantaged (I'm making an educated guess here) school and having to fail about 1/2 of them. It should literally be impossible to fail a JC Higher Level History paper!

If there is any worry about that, the teacher should influence the child to take Ordinary Level... I'd guess in any 100 papers I would have typically only failed 5 or so, so a 50% failure rate (and I was doing my damndest to give any paper in that bag as many marks as possible!) was tragic.

Comment

Just came across the Bogdanoff twins, Hitch and Shrap were hiding them from us

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN38...ature=youtu.be

We have either seen the best of the film right there or it could be the best film in the whole franchise

and..

A new era of wonder begins. #WW84 only in theaters.https://www.wonderwomanfilm.com/https://www.instagram.com/wonderwomanfilm/ https://twitter.com/WonderWoman...

Looks like the makings of a decent flick that will be a nerd bore due to wayyyy to much CGI

each one uplifting in its own way
                                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      I haven't eaten yet

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I'd say this is a much better use of resources here than continuous assessment.

For those who say languages are thought poorly, no doubt about it. It's very very poor but also, we tend to compare ourselves to the multilingual europeans, where once you know one romantic language, the rest are very similar. Germanic is kinda the same too.

Like learning a new programming language once you know one inside out.

I doubt continuous assessment will fix that problem.

The last point is something I was told by a teacher during my LC. Lots of good it did me.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          jeez, now there' a blast from the past. As a kid though, their science programs were very interesting, and they definitely didn't look freakish as they do now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                            Hope she takes her English spelling skills from her Dad
                                            I'm struggling to find a spelling mistake in the post you quoted
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

I think this is one of the biggest problems. Like the only purpose of schooling is to find out who the 'best' students are. Rather that trying to provide everyone with a good education.

The education system is really restrictive. Everyone is taught the same way, at the same pace, regardless. And it all comes down to one set of exams. What a load of bollocks.

And I'm not speaking as someone who struggled in exams.

I just feel like the current system fails the majority.

Comment

I'm struggling to find a spelling mistake in the post you quoted
                                                The 'fairs' should be 'fares'. I think
                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                  The 'fairs' should be 'fares'. I think
                                                  Ah tis all the one
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                    I think this is one of the biggest problems. Like the only purpose of schooling is to find out who the 'best' students are. Rather that trying to provide everyone with a good education.

The education system is really restrictive. Everyone is taught the same way, at the same pace, regardless. And it all comes down to one set of exams. What a load of bollocks.

The same pace and style thing is really annoying. Like you have some people sat there bored out of their minds for years because it is too easy, learning that they don't need any work ethic, a terrible habit, and some people really struggling. They did separate classes based on an aptitude test but it barely scratches the surface. Teach different people differently. Invest in that stuff yo

Comment

What is a “good” education?

Comment

Ah tis all the one
                                                        I wouldn't loose any sleep about it

Comment

I understand your perspective but from someone who is surrounded by people at various levels of the education system in Ireland, the ones I know largely feel the complete opposite.

The Irish education does very well at catering for the majority, plenty of choice, structured curriculum that educates people in a wide variety of subjects. It has high rates of college admissions in good institutions with a variety of courses(often too specific imo) that have very attainable criteria.

It does a relatively good job at adapting for the weaker students but it's not perfect, the same can be said for the other end where it caters for the excellent but they're somewhat constrained. Those in the middle are very well prepared overall though.

Take a school where the GF worked in NZ: https://www.stonefields.school.nz/

It is apparently one of the most innovative schools in NZ, everything is interactive, kids of various ages are taught together in hubs, they have projects to complete at various intervals., this allows excellent kids to excel and may allow weaker kids to learn skills that may be dismissed in conventional schooling.

However, again from what I've been told, kids are often very lost in this format as they have no impetus or structure. Again very 2nd hand info but I think it makes sense.

Comment

What is a “good” education?
                                                            One where the students are actually learning things that they enjoy and also can use.

Languages have been mentioned but it's a complete joke. Why aren't we taught the basics and then all through conversation? Being able to speak it is by far the most important thing. Most people who take languages in school, I would hazard a guess, might only remember the conjugation of a few verbs.

This idea that learning is meant to be boring so we shouldn't be having 'fun' in school is another thing that bugs me.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, but there should be a wider selection of subjects, assessment should be continual. There should be no big exam at the end. And all the material should be provided to the students at the beginning. They should be allowed to work at their own pace. Teaching should be more about mentoring and guiding pupils. Should be more interaction. Students who are excelling can have the opportunity to push ahead and/or become assistants, helping some of the other students.

I should say these are some of my own thoughts and opinions and I would happily seek to challenge them by examining any research on the issue.

Comment

Great ideas. Here's why they will never happen:

SPOILER
                                                              Teachers unions
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Kuenssberg getting a lot of hassle today. Have to admit Elshambles was correct about her

Comment

One where the students are actually learning things that they enjoy and also can use.

Languages have been mentioned but it's a complete joke. Why aren't we taught the basics and then all through conversation? Being able to speak it is by far the most important thing. Most people who take languages in school, I would hazard a guess, might only remember the conjugation of a few verbs.

This idea that learning is meant to be boring so we shouldn't be having 'fun' in school is another thing that bugs me.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, but there should be a wider selection of subjects, assessment should be continual. There should be no big exam at the end. And all the material should be provided to the students at the beginning. They should be allowed to work at their own pace. Teaching should be more about mentoring and guiding pupils. Should be more interaction. Students who are excelling can have the opportunity to push ahead and/or become assistants, helping some of the other students.

I should say these are some of my own thoughts and opinions and I would happily seek to challenge them by examining any research on the issue.
                                                                  Ok, I am genuinely interested in your answers to these:

How do you determine what kids at 4-18 would enjoy? (and keep within the constraint that it needs to be useful?)

Is the message that learning shouldn't be fun, and we shouldn't be having fun in school something that is given to students?

Wider selection? Like what? Give me an example of things we are missing?

What problem is continual assessment solving?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        Great ideas. Here's why they will never happen:

SPOILER
                                                                        Teachers unions
                                                                        Union full of FF voters, that's why you need to put a Marxist in charge of the schools for a bit, nothing like a Marxist telling a union rep to fuck off

Kuenssberg getting a lot of hassle today. Have to admit Elshambles was correct about her

Surprised you didn't sniff her out straight away tbh

Maybe lay off the champagne for a bit;
                                                                        Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        ftw. 4 is far too late for the types of kids who normally get left behind due to socioeconomic reasons. And no harm and probable benefit to all kids.
                                                                        Ya, of course it all starts a bit earlier now, I don't like the idea just for the kids left behind btw, all kids getting the absolute best during the key development years, change the country within 2 generations, fully functional confident kids...

...Especially with the way the world could be within 20 years, smart aware kids (relative to their ability), could be everything to them
                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 09-12-19, 20:33.

Comment

One exception to the no-exam policy is that I had to have an exam when teaching in Dublin. So I set a rule that they could use any aides they want - books, computers, WhatsApp. The exam staff didn't understand the rule even though it was written clearly on the exam rules on front page and promptly kicked out three students for using their phones. Rest of the students in the exam couldn't use the devices they were hoping to use. Carnage.
                                                                          Your former mentor does similar for the Corporate Finance module. Open Book exam, pretty much hasn't changed the questions for 5 years.
                                                                          "Is corporate valuation science or magic?"

If you ask him what elements he wants included in say WACC, he simply shrugs his shoulders ie "give me some rationale for your logic".

We set up a group of approx 8 of us, assigned half a question to each, make 8 copies, every gets a good grade with zero stress.
                                                                          Those who don't cope on might bring in actual books and be sifting through them while you have 4 or 5 sheets of paper and are sailing through it.

Comment

That she sees some equivalence between these two things at this time tells you everything you need to know about where her thinking is.

She's obviously a highly driven workaholic but is also very immature and appears to have become obsessed with whatever pheromones Johnson gives off.

BBC have failed badly by not putting her on the bench weeks ago.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The problem is that teaching kids what they consider 'fun' is fuck all use to them. The sunshine lollipops and rainbows approach is already fucking them up. Students say "Oh maths is hard", schools say "OK we'll stop teaching hard maths", student lands at college and realises that physics, chemistry, and maths hasn't regressed 50 years and that hard maths is actually required and fails miserably.
                                                                              Junior Cert English went from understanding the themes of To Kill a Mocking Bird to 'Review this movie poster'. As for students helping other students?! "Hi, school bully, I'll be your pointdexter for the day, please open your book on page 1". Sounds like on the whole CS you're assuming children are reasonable humans which is a terrible mistake.

Comment

The schooling system is incredibly bad, god only knows what they are trying to teach but whatever it is doesn't work. Now, having said that, pointing that out is easy. Designing a better one and implementing it is a lot harder, but as it stands now IMO school is one step above prison.

Compare maths in school with something like https://www.khanacademy.org/.

Comment

Anyone learning a programming language at the moment should check out: https://adventofcode.com/

It's great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                    The schooling system is incredibly bad, god only knows what they are trying to teach but whatever it is doesn't work. Now, having said that, pointing that out is easy. Designing a better one and implementing it is a lot harder, but as it stands now IMO school is one step above prison.

Compare maths in school with something like https://www.khanacademy.org/.
                                                                                    What does Khan Academy do that's so revolutionary? It's a person explaining concepts, just like school. The concepts don't change. It's hard, it requires some blood, sweat, and tears to understand. Gamification doesn't change that.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                      The problem is that teaching kids what they consider 'fun' is fuck all use to them. The sunshine lollipops and rainbows approach is already fucking them up. Students say "Oh maths is hard", schools say "OK we'll stop teaching hard maths", student lands at college and realises that physics, chemistry, and maths hasn't regressed 50 years and that hard maths is actually required and fails miserably.
                                                                                      Junior Cert English went from understanding the themes of To Kill a Mocking Bird to 'Review this movie poster'. As for students helping other students?! "Hi, school bully, I'll be your pointdexter for the day, please open your book on page 1". Sounds like on the whole CS you're assuming children are reasonable humans which is a terrible mistake.
                                                                                      Exactly.

People say "Teach them useful life skills, like computers or personal finance".

All branches of math. The fundamentals of the big buzz words like machine learning, or big data or whatever are taught in higher level maths.

Personal Finance is basic math.

Or help them communicate better in the real world.

All language skills.

And the response to "school is broken" is to dumb it down?

They are being taught useful things in school. I do agree with elshambles though that if the subject matter was defined in a more practical sense it would help a lot.

One thing I think every student could do with, especially nowadays and into the future is a dedicated class or curriculum for critical thinking. Although theres debate whether it can be taught.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        The schooling system is incredibly bad
                                                                                        Justify this statement.
                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

One thing I think every student could do with, especially nowadays and into the future is a dedicated class or curriculum for critical thinking. Although theres debate whether it can be taught.
                                                                                          Philosophy. That's how you teach critical thinking. Teach basic logic. Let students discuss the basic philosophical issues. Let them critically assess ideas once armed with the tools that philosophy gives you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                            Justify this statement.
                                                                                            The skoolin sistem is incridbly bad.

Comment

That she sees some equivalence between these two things at this time tells you everything you need to know about where her thinking is.

She's obviously a highly driven workaholic but is also very immature and appears to have become obsessed with whatever pheromones Johnson gives off.

BBC have failed badly by not putting her on the bench weeks ago.
                                                                                              She has previous going back a few years with regards to Corbyn

Comment

Doesn't matter what they teach really . We are amongst the best educated. The problem is the one off exam. It's like training for a decathlon but only getting tested on part of each event and then only on a one off performance. The application to colleges should be an entry exam based on skills needed to attend. Get rid of Leaving Cert and only award graduation certs to those who gradually build up points over 2 years.

Comment

Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                    Debating the LC as it stands is all well and good, but what do you say to someone in fifth year, who is smart, but thinks the LC is not worthwhile, as many of you suggest?
                                                                                                    That you'll give them a tenner a point.
                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That you'll give them a tenner a point.
                                                                                                      Would be more inclined to associate a defined payout with going above a specific target, say 450 points. Shelling out 3K on an average LC would feel like a bad investment.
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

...

Comment

If you don’t go to university you will have to live at home for ever and when you turn 19 myself and your mum are going to stop keeping it down in the bedroom.

Seriously tho for any smart kid they will understand that a good leaving cert allows choices for what they study and a poor one means they will struggle to get into a course that interests them
                                                                                                          Last edited by RichieM; 09-12-19, 23:26.

Comment

...

Comment

I'm not so sure. Philosophy is boring (if worthy) and far too complex to do justice to at a young age.
                                                                                                              .
                                                                                                              I'm not suggesting they study Plato and realism.

Teach them logic. Teach them to spot fallacies. How to build an argument. Math starts in logic. Tie it in. Computer programming is based in logic. Logic isn't boring if you do it right. Nothing is boring if done right. Even economics.

Comment

Fuck me, I wish I had Strewel or Hitch as parents growing up

My post leaving cert appraisal was well done now go out and get a job to pay for college.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Depending on how much disposable cash you have you could have levels:

1.Minimum good - 400 points = €2,000
                                                                                                                  2.Well done my boy - 450 points = €4,000
                                                                                                                  3. You got your brains from my side of the family - 500 points = €8,000

The advantage of different levels is if the kid works out they can't get a high level they won't give up, they still have incentives to get the minimum level.

Also promise them they'll get the cash within one week on getting the results and they don't need to use it for uni expenses. Makes it more tangible and gets the imagination going.

Maybe add a prepayment of bonus (20% or so) subject to mock scores to get a more immediate hook in.

Guessing 5th year is last year? Have forgotten. If not then there would need to be other milestone pre-payments as a promise of payment 18 months in the future is too far away.
                                                                                                                  Not sure 18 year old me would have been very smart 1.5k a few weeks before my leaving cert.

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 10-12-19, 00:03.

Comment

"Whats your alternative?"

Comment

Which one really happened?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                          I get she was probably trying to make a point about meat production but still...
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 10-12-19, 02:37.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X