Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking to see a losing hand at showdown /

This is a tournament.
    Player A bets on the river and is called by player B.
    Player A shows his hand and player B mucks.

Question.. Can another player at the table who is not in the hand ask to see player B's hand?

no
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Thanks Dead parrot

Comment

The confusion comes because in the bad old days there was no official rules of poker, so the rules cardclubs followed were based on a book called Roberts rules, which said that any player dealt into the hand could ask to see any hand at showdown. This is a really bad rule for any number of reasons, and only applies in places that are twenty years behind the rest of the world.

The latest official rule on the subject is:

17: Asking to See a Hand
        A: Players not still in possession of cards at showdown, or who have mucked their cards face down without tabling, lose any rights or privileges to ask to see any hand.
        B: If there was a river bet, any caller has an inalienable right to see the last aggressor’s hand on request (“the hand he paid to see”) provided the caller retains or has tabled his cards. TDs discretion governs all other requests such as to see the hand of another caller, or if there was no river bet. See Illustration Addendum [adopted 2013].

Comment

I always felt dealers are weak(with regard player A) when player A after being called puts on the 'ok you win i have nothing but a bluff' face usually accompanied with a rolling hand indicating to player B to show any hand to win which player B usually does because this is as much a resignation of defeat and a formality. What the winner doesnt realise is that player A has got away with not showing his hand as he slips it into the muck silently. And the dealer lets this happen in most cases i experienced. Thats why i say dealers can be weak on this. Maybe they make sure Player A shows nowadays though?.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

I always felt dealers are weak(with regard player A) when player A after being called puts on the 'ok you win i have nothing but a bluff' face usually accompanied with a rolling hand indicating to player B to show any hand to win which player B usually does because this is as much a resignation of defeat and a formality. What the winner doesnt realise is that player A has got away with not showing his hand as he slips it into the muck silently. And the dealer lets this happen in most cases i experienced. Thats why i say dealers can be weak on this. Maybe they make sure Player A shows nowadays though?.
            I don't think it's up to the dealer in this case. It's up to the player B to wait. If player A bets on river and is called the standard is to announce call, and then announce first to show while looking at/small gesture to player A. If player B doesn't wait it's his fault.
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Yeah i suppose. I just always felt the demure player always got the worst of it from the resident reg and it didnt take much for the dealer to keep him honest.

Comment

Don't think so as I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be last aggressive action OTR. Is there a difference between cash and tourneys here? Pretty sure there's something to do with chipdumping for tourneys.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                  Pretty sure you made a typo here, but did you mean Player B calls and Player A (as the bettor, in your example) mucks. In this situation Player A is technically obliged to show their hand, but usually, as you say, is let off if the hook if they make it clear they were bluffing.

I think this tendency has largely grown from most people in Player B's shoes being so delighted and relieved to win the pot that they don't bother asking to see potentially useful info.

Defo a leak.
                  Last edited by ClogBogger; 03-07-16, 00:53.

Comment

No typo, he was asking a different question. He clearly says the player asking to see was not one of the active players

Comment

Same happebed to me at a cash game. Villian bet the river with a full house, I called with a straight and mucked with showing when I saw his winning hand. Player asked to see my hand which were face down near the discarded pile and the dealer showed them immediately. I let rip saying wtf, and that my hand shouldn't be shown as I was the person who called.

Apparently perfectly legit, but wasn't happy.
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Where was that?

Comment

Working...
                        X