Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not get the fuss over the public serves cards. How many of the people kicking up about it post every detail of their lives on Facebook/ use android.

Comment

Ah.... Hardware. Outstanding movie in it's time.
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        Do not get the fuss over the public serves cards. How many of the people kicking up about it post every detail of their lives on Facebook/ use android.
        Do you think the State should be allowed to do whatever it wants without the need to legislate or have any legal basis for their actions?

Separately, the PSC is a direct violation of EU law and part of the reason they didn’t legislate for it is that the Act would be incompatible and therefore void. They can bring in (as they have) a limited use card. But making it a mandatory state ID (which was the aim of the civil service) goes too far.

The classic example is the pension lady. She wanted to draw her pension and they department refused to allow her do so unless she had a PSC. She asked to see the legal basis for that requirement and (obviously) they refused/were unable to do so. Should the State be allowed to deny you services and entitlements to which you have a legal right because they want to force you to do something for which there is no legal basis? The obvious and unarguable answer is no.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Also, as a side note, the PSC debacle may have given us the two stupidest statements from an Irish government since the turn of the century (and that’s really saying something).

1. “The PSC is not mandatory, but it is compulsory” - how’s that for double speak?

2. Regina Doherty absolutely rejects in a tweet on 27 August 2017 that the Department of Social Protection does not collect facial recognition data. She then, in response to a question from Catherine Murphy TD in the Dail Chamber says that the Department has been collecting facial recognition data for years and the PSC is nothing to worry about. She is then asked in a follow up why this contradicts her earlier statement and she blithely says “we collect pictures of people, that’s not biometric data” (Spoiler: it’s one of the literal definitions of biometric data)

Comment

Has anybody seen/been affected by a What's App virus/hack recently?

Mrs Lao Lao got a what's app message from her mate saying, "just accidentally sent you an activation code instead of sending it to myself, can you forward it on to me please".

A few seconds later, she got a text with an activation code which she tried to forward to her mate. Once she did it, she started to get loads more texts. She only then copped something wasn't right.

She called her friend who said her what's app had been hacked. Mrs Lao Lao then had some similar what apps message sent out claiming to be from her plus it appeared that somebody had control of her what's app.

She deleted what's app from her phone straight away but whoever had control of her whats app removed her from every group chat she was in and removed everybody else from groups she was admin on. This happened over the course of a few few hours.

She has since been able to reload what's app on her phone and she has full control over it but all messages/photos etc have been lost.

What are the security risks to the phone, if any? internet banking, etc all done on it and anything specific she should be doing to the phone. She is expecting a few important phone calls over the next few days so is reluctant to hand the phone into a repair shop right now.

Phone is an iphone and it's silver if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              Also, as a side note, the PSC debacle may have given us the two stupidest statements from an Irish government since the turn of the century (and that’s really saying something).

1. “The PSC is not mandatory, but it is compulsory” - how’s that for double speak?

2. Regina Doherty absolutely rejects in a tweet on 27 August 2017 that the Department of Social Protection does not collect facial recognition data. She then, in response to a question from Catherine Murphy TD in the Dail Chamber says that the Department has been collecting facial recognition data for years and the PSC is nothing to worry about. She is then asked in a follow up why this contradicts her earlier statement and she blithely says “we collect pictures of people, that’s not biometric data” (Spoiler: it’s one of the literal definitions of biometric data)
              Wouldn't even be top 50 Trivial shite.

Are we forgetting the Ahern\Cowen years already?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Recency bias?

Comment

Why is it not possible for the state to have a compulsory ID card for all government services? It seems like an eminently sensible thing to me. Having loads of separate systems and processes for things is a huge waste of time and money. I get that people have a right to privacy, but if I'm getting stuff from the government from a few different departments and have to get a separate card or whatever for each one, is that not just a massive pain in the hole for everybody?

Comment

On another downward spiral I ended up fixated on "Only you" by Yazoo.
                    Amazing song, I've probably listened to 20 covers this weekend. I could post my favourite, or the original. But this one here stole the show. Apart from being a fantastic acapella rendition, there's so much going on.
                    Cheek beard, cheesey winks and unstoppable bonus points for Uncle Fester top jamming in the middle.

Flying Pickets - Only You 1984Looking from a window aboveIt's like a story of loveCan you hear me?Came back only yesterdayMoving further awayWant you hear me...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Wouldn't even be top 50 Trivial shite.

Are we forgetting the Ahern\Cowen years already?
                      Fair. But “not mandatory but compulsory” is still an all time, Yes Minister level piece of nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                        Why is it not possible for the state to have a compulsory ID card for all government services? It seems like an eminently sensible thing to me. Having loads of separate systems and processes for things is a huge waste of time and money. I get that people have a right to privacy, but if I'm getting stuff from the government from a few different departments and have to get a separate card or whatever for each one, is that not just a massive pain in the hole for everybody?
                        I re-read my post and it may be somewhat misleading. We can bring in a national identity card. That’s perfectly possible. I don’t think it’s as good an idea as you think it is, primarily because I think it’s an unreasonable infringement on civil liberties to have a mandatory state identification card that has biometric and personal data freely shared between anyone having access to the central database.

But to do it with NO legislative basis. No debate in the Dail. No oversight mechanisms, that’s just illegal.

Comment

Sitting on my balcony looking out over the mont blanc. Mountain Holidays are pretty cool. Rafting tomorrow, then trekking tuesday, then 3 days of mountain biking (mostly downhill). Might need a holiday after all this exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                            Sitting on my balcony looking out over the mont blanc. Mountain Holidays are pretty cool. Rafting tomorrow, then trekking tuesday, then 3 days of mountain biking (mostly downhill). Might need a holiday after all this exercise.
                            Herself circumnavigated it 2 weeks ago, 7/10 completed the trek, no joke up there, pics are phenomenal, I especially like the snow fields.

Clifden-Spanish Point for the next 3 days, hiking Diamond Hill tomorrow weather depending.

Comment

Not even flirting now, full-on embracing.

Although Archer trying to kill Smith is a good sideshow.

https://youtu.be/camR5mnVXOU
                              Might be a very interesting final session if the weather holds up. England 250 ahead now.

Comment

Declared! 267 to win (or more realistically, Aus to survive 48 overs with Piggy Smith knocked out of the game).

Comment

So hurling on mute (thus neatly obviating the most wnnoying gobshite in Ireland, Marty Morrissey) and cricket commentary on Guerilla cricket.

Delightful.

Comment

So hurling on mute (thus neatly obviating the most wnnoying gobshite in Ireland, Marty Morrissey) and cricket commentary on Guerilla cricket.

Delightful.
                                    Marty isn’t even the most annoying RTÉ GAA commentator. That honor belongs to Dessie Dolan

Comment

Declared! 267 to win (or more realistically, Aus to survive 48 overs with Piggy Smith knocked out of the game).
                                      2 gone already
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

I hope I'm wrong but I think Richie Hogan just got sent off for nothing other than the ref falling for a soccer style dive
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

New West Indian, ahem English motherfucking quick bowling sensation making this very interesting.

Maybe Richie Hogan could sub for Steve Smith.

Comment

I thought that was quite close, based on the rule change it seems fine, certainly looked worse in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              I hope I'm wrong but I think Richie Hogan just got sent off for nothing other than the ref falling for a soccer style dive
                                              Elbow in the head.

Comment

Marty isn’t even the most annoying RTÉ GAA commentator. That honor belongs to Dessie Dolan
                                                Brian Carthy called (on a high trajectory) and asked to be reinstated

Comment

Elbow in the head.
                                                  We'll see at half time but the angle I saw there was no contact or intent

Comment

Based on what's going on at Lords, you're far more likely to get seriously injured playing cricket than hurling these days. Archer just flattened another Aussie.

Comment

Was going to cash out the draw bet this morning but didn't, raging, just did now as don't trust Aussies at all

Profits a profit I suppose

Can cheer on the small England bet now

Comment

Based on what's going on at Lords, you're far more likely to get seriously injured playing cricket than hurling these days. Archer just flattened another Aussie.
                                                        I don't know why that's still allowed, not sure why it was ever allowed tbh

Comment

Certainly not a natural angle with his elbow, it was definitely intentional, reaction maybe OTT given contact wasn't hard but silly by Hogan.

Comment

Yeah, there may have been some tiny bit of contact with the top of his arm, the rest looks like a soccer style performance but you couldn't be sure... he certainly doesn't under play it!
                                                            Harsh red but the rule is the rule once the ref decides there was contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                              I don't know why that's still allowed, not sure why it was ever allowed tbh
                                                              don't understand

Comment

He 100% hit him with the elbow. Nailed on red card

Comment

Yeah, there may have been some tiny bit of contact with the top of his arm, the rest looks like a soccer style performance but you couldn't be sure... he certainly doesn't under play it!
                                                                  Harsh red but the rule is the rule once the ref decides there was contact.
                                                                  In fairness if someone goes for you with an elbow or a punch you should go down hard and stay down, to ideally get them sent off.

That was always my policy in any sport anyway. I think it's very different to say a simulated dive.

Comment

Definite red but Tipp lad proper hammed it as well.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

New West Indian, ahem English motherfucking quick bowling sensation making this very interesting.
                                                                      I think it's great that he's managed to move on from the politics and perjury thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                        I think it's great that he's managed to move on from the politics and perjury thing.
                                                                        Undecided as to whether you deserve a thanks for that

Comment

don't understand
                                                                          I don't think chin music should still be allowed

Comment

Yikes, not often you see KK taken apart like this. CODY OUT.

Comment

Yikes, not often you see KK taken apart like this. CODY OUT.
                                                                              Apparently Eddie Brennan asked about his interest in the Waterford job but no appetite as he's lined up for Kilkenny job next year but who knows, Cody's been retiring for years.

Comment

I don't think chin music should still be allowed
                                                                                Rubbish.

If that was the MCG and Mitchell Johnson running in to the Poms, you would have 80,000 bogans baying for blood. It's one of the great contests in sport - a truly fast bowler with his tail up running in with the crowd going nuts. If you can't handle that as a batsman (either technically or physcologically), you shouldn't be playing.

Comment

Rubbish.

If that was the MCG and Mitchell Johnson running in to the Poms, you would have 80,000 bogans baying for blood. It's one of the great contests in sport - a truly fast bowler with his tail up running in with the crowd going nuts. If you can't handle that as a batsman (either technically or physcologically), you shouldn't be playing.
                                                                                  No one did it better than Joel IMO

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

No one did it better than Joel IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytNOth31K60
                                                                                    Yeah, those days (with no bouncer restrictions) were actually silly in retrospect though.

Although of that golden generation of WI quicks, Malcolm Marshall was the purest and best of them by far. A comparitively small man too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      @. Also feel WD gave LMK far too much room. I'll be looking elsewhere for an All Ireland winner.
                                                                                      Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                      Tipp
                                                                                      Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                      I've already backed them.

They'll be very close if they dont win it.
                                                                                      Whooooo. Might turn pro at this "Tipping" (pun intended) lark. Seems like a lol. Great to see Kilkenny bate

Comment

Is it noticeable to you that he seems to really dislike Kerry?

I saw someone describe him as a guy you'd learn nothing more listening to than a guy explaining things to his child beside you in the stand.

Comment

Limerick threw it away this year .

At the airport this morning saw a plane abort landing at last minute. Didn't look that windy . On the way out truck on fire on N7 . The heat from it . Scary hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                            Limerick threw it away this year .
                                                                                            Big time

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                              Naw that's just the Kerry persecution complex . Personified by yer Healy Raes on any given subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                Naw that's just the Kerry persecution complex . Personified by yer Healy Raes on any given subject.
                                                                                                Yeah I'm aware of that which is why I'm asking

Herself is from Tipp so that's one down in our house!

Comment

Liam Sheedy pure box office, the kind of fella that will probably be sniffing coke out of a hookers hole swinging a Tipp Jersey in the air. Callanan dropping the F bomb and immediately putting his hands to his mouth lol. Up Tipp, up hurling.

Comment

In work last night and one of the Tipp lads asked a Limerick lad will he be shouting for Tipp today...I will says he, when they play England.
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Was going to cash out the draw bet this morning but didn't, raging, just did now as don't trust Aussies at all

Profits a profit I suppose

Can cheer on the small England bet now
                                                                                                      Shoulda let it ride and you would have gotten the win and a nice sweat. 6 down but only 7 overs left.

Comment

It was 60 years ago today when Miles taught the band to play

The 2nd track of Miles Davis's 1959 album "Kind of Blue"

Comment

I saw someone describe him as a guy you'd learn nothing more listening to than a guy explaining things to his child beside you in the stand.
                                                                                                          I can’t say I’ve noticed him being anti-Kerry but I wouldn’t be particularly sensitive to it. I actively try to not listen to a single word Dessie says. He is the commentary equivalent of an echo. The commentator gives the play by play and Dessie is supposed to give context and expand on the basics. Not our Dessie.

Darragh Maloney: “that’s a superb hit by Conor McManus and Monaghan take a one point lead”

Dessie Dolan: “that’s right Darragh, super score by Conor and Monaghan take the lead by a point”

Magic stuff.

Comment

I can’t say I’ve noticed him being anti-Kerry but I wouldn’t be particularly sensitive to it. I actively try to not listen to a single word Dessie says. He is the commentary equivalent of an echo. The commentator gives the play by play and Dessie is supposed to give context and expand on the basics. Not our Dessie.

Darragh Maloney: “that’s a superb hit by Conor McManus and Monaghan take a one point lead”

Dessie Dolan: “that’s right Darragh, super score by Conor and Monaghan take the lead by a point”

Magic stuff.
                                                                                                            Any tickets?

Comment

Any tickets?
                                                                                                              Not a sniff thus far but I have some leads that I’m hoping work out. You?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                On another downward spiral I ended up fixated on "Only you" by Yazoo.
                                                                                                                Amazing song, I've probably listened to 20 covers this weekend. I could post my favourite, or the original. But this one here stole the show. Apart from being a fantastic acapella rendition, there's so much going on.
                                                                                                                Cheek beard, cheesey winks and unstoppable bonus points for Uncle Fester top jamming in the middle.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecd9vmuFyc
                                                                                                                Saw them in the Project around 1979 when they were part of a very right on Scottish agitprop theatre company called 7:84 the name came from what seemed at the time to be an outrageous stat that 7% of the population of the UK owned 84$ of the wealth.
                                                                                                                I can still remember how disconcerting it was seeing the same lads appearing on top of the pops with a Christmas number one just a few years later

Comment

69 players only a couple of them Over Par.
                                                                                                                  Different era of golf now . Anyone can win .(even Tiger)

Comment

Do you think the State should be allowed to do whatever it wants without the need to legislate or have any legal basis for their actions?

Separately, the PSC is a direct violation of EU law and part of the reason they didn’t legislate for it is that the Act would be incompatible and therefore void. They can bring in (as they have) a limited use card. But making it a mandatory state ID (which was the aim of the civil service) goes too far.

The classic example is the pension lady. She wanted to draw her pension and they department refused to allow her do so unless she had a PSC. She asked to see the legal basis for that requirement and (obviously) they refused/were unable to do so. Should the State be allowed to deny you services and entitlements to which you have a legal right because they want to force you to do something for which there is no legal basis? The obvious and unarguable answer is no.
                                                                                                                    Fair enough, didn’t realize it was a case of incompetence, the whole idea behind the card seems pretty sensible to me, why did they go about it in that manner.
                                                                                                                    I don’t see how people could have a major problem with the card itself

Comment

Good days to be royal fam hating, prince Andy having some troubles to say the least, prince harry turning into a bit of a prat and the times printing details of FBI files suggesting Lord Mountbatten was indeed a nonce.quality stuff

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Good days to be royal fam hating, prince Andy having some troubles to say the least, prince harry turning into a bit of a prat and the times printing details of FBI files suggesting Lord Mountbatten was indeed a nonce.quality stuff
                                                                                                                        Surely can't be as bad as people who say 'and what not' at the end of sentences.

Comment

Surely can't be as bad as people who say 'and what not' at the end of sentences.
                                                                                                                          That’s frustrating but well it is what it is

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X