Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
    Why does big tech have to be politically neutral?

Big oil isn’t.
    Big Pharma isn’t.
    Why should any industry be neutral? I’d imagine a shareholder would expect a company to do whatever it can to increase shareholder value and being neutral seems like to should be aligned to that. Not aligned to political ideologies.

Am I missing something?
    The trouble starts when so much of our discourse is hosted on a small number of platforms. When those orgs start putting their fingers on the scales, and we know they are, they gain significant power over the method by which we decide nearly everything. The comparison to big oil or big pharma is not apt, because their spheres of influence are so much narrower.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Tech companies have range to influence that was never available to other media outlets or companies in the past.
      That type of range stokes fear, combine that with the nebulous of methods they have proven to employ and how pernicious they have been, I can understand why there are calls for them to be non-partisan.
      That said, I suppose in theory there is reason why they should be.

If transparent partisanship was beneficial to them they would probably employ it.

Comment

Maybe not, I guess my overall point is that why do companies/industries have to have to be neutral or unbiased? That’s not how the world works. I could see a world where google/Facebook see a left leaning society as being more beneficial to them? I can’t think of reasons now but that shouldn’t detract from the overall point that companies should be free to subscribe to whatever way of leaning they decide?

Or they shouldn’t and all media is neutralized. (I don’t see the people screaming about google and Facebook being unbiased calling out fox or breitbart for exampe)

Ideally yes, all forms of media would be unbiased and humans would be charged with thinking critically enough to make their own decisions.
        I think it undermines the principal of democracy of one man one vote, it means the opinion of the heads of those companies gets magnified. I like the way Ireland has tight limits on campaign donations. The ability for one person to have undue influence should be limited.

Lobbying and donations by companies is corrosive for society, leds to oligopolies, and barriers which benefits incumbents. They can GTFO of politics.

Comment

Ok all fair points. BBV delivers.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

What's the standard Deliveroo tip? Never normally use it but they sent me some credit.

Comment

If i have free delivery i would tip but not getting a tip when there is already a €3 delivery charge attached.

Comment

Two or three euro for me.

Comment

It's a lot more complicated than the posts above make out. The big tech companies have been thrust into impossible positions that there is no legislation, or even any really a good rule of thumb to go by. They are currently trying to balance the right to free speech with the need to stamp down on hate speech, misinformation and trolling. Whatever decision they make they will be criticised for a lack of impartiality.

Comment

That's one issue. But the tech companies were actively trying to influence the 2020 election.

Comment

Perhaps the area is still pretty nascent but if sites like Facebook, YouTube & Twitter could begin to stop the exploitation of their outsourced content reviewers in the likes of the Phillipines who are tasked with determining what content is appropriate that would probably be a start.

How can they be viewed as applying anything close to resembling best practices if they expect poorly paid low skilled workers to moderate hundreds(sometimes up to 1000s) of pieces of content on a daily basis across various languages & cultures.

Numerous companies have only recently begun offering counselling services to those reviewing the content, I'm sure little imagination is needed to picture what they see.
                      Probably a tad easier to stomp out misinformation & hate speech etc if there are enough people reviewing the content, they understand the language and offered the services to deal with what they see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                        It's a lot more complicated than the posts above make out. The big tech companies have been thrust into impossible positions that there is no legislation, or even any really a good rule of thumb to go by. They are currently trying to balance the right to free speech with the need to stamp down on hate speech, misinformation and trolling. Whatever decision they make they will be criticised for a lack of impartiality.
                        My questions really came from a lot of republican ( with trump leading the charge) noise about regulating them.... yet their own platforms like fox and breitbart seem to be left alone. It seems most of the ire is because, at least outwardly, the big tech companies are left leaning.

I think focus on directing both ideologies to agree to an acceptable definition of hate speech is where the entry should be spent. It seems debatable and this is what’s causing the above.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          That's one issue. But the tech companies were actively trying to influence the 2020 election.
                          specifically?
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Jose Mourinho joing Sky as an analyst is not good for the other analysts. Was watching this, it's like Richard Feynman and some primary school children discussing physics. The juxtaposition of him and Jamie Carragher is actually painful to view.

SUBSCRIBE ► http://bit.ly/SSFootballSubJose Mourinho joined Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Graeme Souness in the studio for Manchester United's 4-0 win ag...

Comment

Seems to me Zuckerberg has put his hands up and explained that what they have created is an out of the bottle genie and now that it is never going back in, his job is to protect shareholder value in a world where his platform is easily reproduced and open to competition.
                              It is up to governments to regulate what he and other similar platforms can and cannot do.

Comment

I have noticed something over the last few days. When I bend my knee sometimes I am experiencing a feeling that is like a burning sensation on the top but below the skin. Almost like a carpet burn might feel on skin.

Does that sound like something recognisable to those of you more acquainted with physiology and injuries than me?

I'm a go to the doctor if a limb will definitely fall off within 48 hours if I don't type.

Comment

If the pain exists ever so slightly below the kneecap and above the shin, it may be a patella tendon. This pain can feel somewhat superficial when compared with other muscular injuries, I had some fluid build up in that area a couple of years ago, sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced.

My pain was caused by issues with my quad especially when flexed but it was relieved with some stretching and quad work.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                    Perhaps the area is still pretty nascent but if sites like Facebook, YouTube & Twitter could begin to stop the exploitation of their outsourced content reviewers in the likes of the Phillipines who are tasked with determining what content is appropriate that would probably be a start.

How can they be viewed as applying anything close to resembling best practices if they expect poorly paid low skilled workers to moderate hundreds(sometimes up to 1000s) of pieces of content on a daily basis across various languages & cultures.

Numerous companies have only recently begun offering counselling services to those reviewing the content, I'm sure little imagination is needed to picture what they see.
                                    Probably a tad easier to stomp out misinformation & hate speech etc if there are enough people reviewing the content, they understand the language and offered the services to deal with what they see.
                                    Why are people reviewing the content in the first place....just build better algos.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                      Jose Mourinho joing Sky as an analyst is not good for the other analysts. Was watching this, it's like Richard Feynman and some primary school children discussing physics. The juxtaposition of him and Jamie Carragher is actually painful to view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MPTg0Q5tfQ
                                      Jamie Carragher was a donkey and he will always be a donkey.

Jose’s chat about principles and philosophy and inplying they are separate and distinct is interesting.

More of it I say. I’d love to listen to Rafa, Jose and Pep talk about football on a panel like that. Would be fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Why are people reviewing the content in the first place....just build better algos.
                                        They are but Zuckerburg explicitly said to the Post he cant envisage a time when human review is completely avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Seems to me Zuckerberg has put his hands up and explained that what they have created is an out of the bottle genie and now that it is never going back in, his job is to protect shareholder value in a world where his platform is easily reproduced and open to competition.
                                          It is up to governments to regulate what he and other similar platforms can and cannot do.
                                          There's also a little bit of pernicious behavior in the like of youtube.
                                          It's current algorithm favors more controversial content as it breed higher viewer engagement. View one edgy video = finding yourself down a rabbit hole of edgy videos hours later. More views = more ad revenues and those types of videos. Youtube tracks what kinds of videos you look at for longest and recommends those back to you.
                                          Behind the bastards did a pretty in depth ep about it
                                          There’s a reason the History Channel has produced hundreds of documentaries about Hitler but only a few about Dwight D. Eisenhower. Bad guys (and gals) are eternally fascinating. Behind the Bastards dives in past the Cliffs Notes of the worst humans in history and exposes the bizarre realities of their lives. Listeners will learn about the young adult novels that helped Hitler form his monstrous ideology, the founder of Blackwater’s insane quest to build his own Air Force, the bizarre lives of the sons and daughters of dictators and Saddam Hussein’s side career as a trashy romance novelist.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Could be bursitis.
                                            If it on the knee cap or further up/down the leg?

Comment

just build better algos.
                                              If only it was that easy.

Comment

Hotspur you have Buddists knee . Very common. Just stand up during the homily

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                  If the pain exists ever so slightly below the kneecap and above the shin, it may be a patella tendon. This pain can feel somewhat superficial when compared with other muscular injuries, I had some fluid build up in that area a couple of years ago, sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced.

My pain was caused by issues with my quad especially when flexed but it was relieved with some stretching and quad work.
                                                  I had to get a full leg cast for this kinda stuff due to playing too much sport, although I feel Hotspur has missed the boat on getting Osgood-Schlatter disease.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                    The trouble starts when so much of our discourse is hosted on a small number of platforms. When those orgs start putting their fingers on the scales, and we know they are, they gain significant power over the method by which we decide nearly everything. The comparison to big oil or big pharma is not apt, because their spheres of influence are so much narrower.
                                                    This is such nonsense it's hard to take seriously, but for those that thanked the post -

Americans for Prosperity is a little-known, billionaire-funded organization that has pushed US politics to the right. How did it happen?

In a new book, Christopher Leonard chronicles how Koch Industries acquired huge businesses, limited its liability and created a political influence network to remake the GOP.

But yeah Andy, a left leaning Youtube banning bigots is the real threat.

Comment

Jesus, BoJo looks fucked already.

Give it another month and he'll be May 2.0
                                                      What led you to that conclusion?

Could it not be that he's exactly where he wants to be right now?

Plan appears to be to generate maximum chaos and either they fall out on Oct31 or it will have been the enemies within and without that prevented him from delivering his promise. Either way he is in prime position for an Nov election.
                                                      Literally the only thing Cummings and Johnson are considering in all of this is the size of a majority they can win. It is utterly irrelevant to them what the consequences are, no matter if babies were to die, millions to become unemployed or civil war break out in Scotland these are self obsessed manchildildren, in many ways just brighter versions of Trump but still not nearly as clever as they think they are.

Comment

I only read TheNewYorker & Guardian articles but there was only one or two mentions of anything that directly extended beyond the US. It's quite clear that the Koch bros have wielded significant influence on US politics & largely bred the issues around climate change denial.

Also, I understand how their influence certainly has further indirectly extended far beyond the US but when Facebook & it's subsidiaries have over 2 billion unique users on a daily basis, it's hard to imagine how their "spheres of influence" could not be more far reaching moving forward.

I think their influence extends far beyond silencing Alex Jones & alike as has been proven in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                          This is such nonsense it's hard to take seriously, but for those that thanked the post -

Americans for Prosperity is a little-known, billionaire-funded organization that has pushed US politics to the right. How did it happen?

In a new book, Christopher Leonard chronicles how Koch Industries acquired huge businesses, limited its liability and created a political influence network to remake the GOP.

But yeah Andy, a left leaning Youtube banning bigots is the real threat.
                                                          Obviously right wing media and political influence is a thing. Why does that invalidate my point? I'm not even talking about high profile bans?
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

A red card in the match tonight 4/1. Considering its an all female reffing team they wont be taking any shite and will want to mark their territory fairly sharpish. Any of the card markets worth a look in fact.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

What led you to that conclusion?

Could it not be that he's exactly where he wants to be right now?

Plan appears to be to generate maximum chaos and either they fall out on Oct31 or it will have been the enemies within and without that prevented him from delivering his promise. Either way he is in prime position for an Nov election.
                                                                Literally the only thing Cummings and Johnson are considering in all of this is the size of a majority they can win. It is utterly irrelevant to them what the consequences are, no matter if babies were to die, millions to become unemployed or civil war break out in Scotland these are self obsessed manchildildren, in many ways just brighter versions of Trump but still not nearly as clever as they think they are.
                                                                I meant his physical appearance.
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I was reading about US student loan debt and Sanders & Warrens plans to largely eradicate it when I came across this:
                                                                  ATLANTA — RJ Korah stands in a dimly lit room, looking intently at a man who holds the keys to his freedom.Korah owes over $90,000 in student loans. And the ...

Comment

The game is afoot
                                                                    Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-08-19, 09:58.
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      About time,

Wonder who held the gun to his head and told him it’s his signature or brains on the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                        About time,

Wonder who held the gun to his head and told him it’s his signature or brains on the letter.
                                                                        12/1 IMO

He should be able to get the VoNC through but there is no way any tory rebels will put him in No 10 so the only way he could get enough numbers to allow for a few Labour malcontents is if the Shinners turn up to vote for him.
                                                                        Only hope of stopping Cummings and Johnson is a neutral figure that all the anti no deal forces can coalesce around. Unlikely they will be able to find one

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                          1. The Sky deal should be ended when the contract comes to an end, presuming there’s no penalty free way out of it earlier. It’s not what the GAA is about and having games behind a pay wall is nonsense. I was ambivalent about this before, now I’m dead set against it.

2. There are too many games. As Malachy Clerkin (I think) said on the Second Captains podcast last week - our genetic memory of the championship is as straight knockout. Having an early system to avoid the 9 months training for 70 mins of championship for teams is a good idea, but having a round robin at the quarter final stage is insane. The Super 8s have to go. Less games is actually better in this instance.

3. Provincial championships are dead and vested interests in provincial boards are using money and influence to stop congress from ever even considering scrapping them. The odd competitive one (Roscommon winning Connacht) becomes the rallying point for the “ah sure, how could ye deny them a day like that?” brigade. Either we have a concerted approach to dealing with the championship or we don’t. And as long as the provincial championships are part of the main championship calendar in their current form - the present championship will continue to wither through lack of competition.

4. Provincial venues are better for most games before the semi finals. Better craic, better atmosphere and better spectacle.
                                                                          Agreed on 1,2 and 4. Disagree on 3.

The problem as I see it with the GAA today is that it’s following the template of sports which have national teams and global audiences. Getting better at your sport has direct positive financial implications for organizations that run them. That doesn’t apply to GAA, which is built on local rivalry, volunteerism and mostly importantly mass community buy-in.

There is going to be less interest in “the fittest and fastest ever Dublin play the fittest and fastest Kerry” every year, no matter how beautifully and skillfully they play the game, and no matter how much better they were compared to previous generations.

What fills stadiums is intrigue and local buy in, and that comes from a socialist model ironically best seen in the states with the draft system.

To me a successful GAA is one that has 400,000 players every week, than one where the GAA players are fitter than professional athletes.

On the provinces, I think they are still worth playing and winning, it’s just with a Dublin lens on you’ve won too many to care. Donegal have doubled their historical total (of 5) in the last ten years and it’s what gets me excited to watch them.

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                          A red card in the match tonight 4/1. Considering its an all female reffing team they wont be taking any shite and will want to mark their territory fairly sharpish. Any of the card markets worth a look in fact.

Comment

A logical riddle

Ben and Bills combined age is 91. Bill is now twice as old as Ben was when Bill was as old as Ben is now. How old are they now?

Spoiler your answer please

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                              Ben and Bills combined age is 91. Bill is now twice as old as Ben was when Bill was as old as Ben is now. How old are they now?

SPOILER
                                                                              60.666
                                                                              30.333

Comment

12/1 IMO

He should be able to get the VoNC through but there is no way any tory rebels will put him in No 10 so the only way he could get enough numbers to allow for a few Labour malcontents is if the Shinners turn up to vote for him.
                                                                                Only hope of stopping Cummings and Johnson is a neutral figure that all the anti no deal forces can coalesce around. Unlikely they will be able to find one
                                                                                Bercow would be a good candidate imo

Comment

Comment

People who use Sir like that on Twitter need to be put into a van with people who say nice hand sir at poker tables and rolled off the edge of a cliff

Comment

Some serious smack talk coming out of China re HK.

Comment

I like Liverpool’s recent success but some of them tending towards unbearable with the overreaction to the European charity shield win last night.
                                                                                        Adding it to their trophy total to claim they have won more trophies than Utd while not counting Utds charity shield wins and world club cup win. None of them count imo

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                          I like Liverpool’s recent success but some of them tending towards unbearable with the overreaction to the European charity shield win last night.
                                                                                          Adding it to their trophy total to claim they have won more trophies than Utd while not counting Utds charity shield wins and world club cup win. None of them count imo
                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 15-08-19, 10:23.

Comment

Some serious smack talk coming out of China re HK.
                                                                                            Nothing’s gonna happen mate, the UN are involved now, everyone’s safe as

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                              45.5, they're twins
                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                Bercow would be a good candidate imo
                                                                                                Don't know if he can do it but it will have to be a left field name probably more neutral and all round acceptable like that. Clarke and Grieve are the Tory names but it might need to be someone from Liberals or Scotland even the green party woman. Older and irrelevant enough not to profit politically from having held the role even for the few weeks would be helpful maybe someone like Cable.

I don't know, I can see them passing vonc and failing to follow through on blocking no deal and then out of nowhere some mad manouvere comes along that gets May's deal passed at the last minute

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                  60.666
                                                                                                  30.333
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                  45.5, they're twins
                                                                                                  No to both

Comment

No to both
                                                                                                    Yeah, realised that after posting.

It's a bit of a melter.
                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That David Simon tweet reminded me of

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                        Nothing’s gonna happen mate, the UN are involved now, everyone’s safe as
                                                                                                        I wont relax until Amnesty are involved

Comment

I see Conor McGregor is still a despicable thug.

Comment

I wont relax until Amnesty are involved
                                                                                                            Any sign of a travel warning?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                              I see Conor McGregor is still a despicable thug.
                                                                                                              Sucker punch too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                Yeah, realised that after posting.

It's a bit of a melter.
                                                                                                                It's about breaking it down into small parts. Think of it in terms of bill is x, ben is 91-x etc.
                                                                                                                What's the difference between their ages then? 2x-91 etc and take it from there.

Comment

Am I underthinking it?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                  same age 45 1/2

Comment

SPOILER

52 & 39

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                                      52 & 39

Comment

No to both
                                                                                                                        SPOILER

this is very quick and dirty

Code:
                                                                                                                        declare @i int
                                                                                                                        , @x int 
                                                                                                                        , @y int
                                                                                                                        , @z int
                                                                                                                        ,@ans int

set @i = 91
                                                                                                                        set @x = @i*0.57
                                                                                                                        set @y = @x*.75
                                                                                                                        set @z = @x+@y

select @x, @i,@z,@y

meh...

Comment

Sucker punch too.
                                                                                                                          Surely he can afford to be drinking better whiskey??

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X