Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    The work of a very stable genius
    Ladbrokes or Trump
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Thread with some good discussion on the mortgage vs pension question a few have asked lately:

Summary of thread's conclusions (but it's worth reading the thread in full, as differing views are discussed) 1) If you have a cheap tracker mortgage, you should not pay it off early. Putting any spare cash into a pension fund(or some other investment) would be a lot better. 2) If your...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Ah, that last day feeling. Hungover to fuck though.
        Hands shaken, goodbyes said. Card handed to security and el gonzo.

Lots of peeps genuinely sad to see me go which means either they are very poor judges of character or else very good actors.

Onwards!
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Saddle up. €1,550 in the pot - not much time left for you shifty useless latecomers to join the party.

Comment

Hands shaken, goodbyes said. Card handed to security and el gonzo.

Lots of peeps genuinely sad to see me go which means either they are very poor judges of character or else very good actors.

Onwards!
            You ungrateful cad. I bet you took the money out 1st.

Comment

Bad beat Tilt,interrupted at work just before Q10 on HQ trivia meaning I only had 1 second to guess an anagram question.knew the answer to Q11 and 12 would have been good for 50 bucks and 1st IPB champ champ status

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                Thread with some good discussion on the mortgage vs pension question a few have asked lately:

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...o-late.189981/
                Kinda in the very very early stages of thinking about a self-build on a field beside family home out in the wilderness. Guessing that in the coming years I will prefer not to live in the city centre.

Anyone got any good resources for reading up? Do I have to get to know my local CCs?

Comment

Kinda in the very very early stages of thinking about a self-build on a field beside family home out in the wilderness. Guessing that in the coming years I will prefer not to live in the city centre.

Anyone got any good resources for reading up? Do I have to get to know my local CCs?
                  The bolded bit means you are more or less certain to get PP, you will need to look carefully into the restrictions and limitations applied for the area by the county council in question.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Probably better off knowing your planning officers!

You can do a pre-planning meeting with nothing more than a few sketches and they will let you know fairly fast where there are going to be issues with your application.
                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        The bolded bit means you are more or less certain to get PP, you will need to look carefully into the restrictions and limitations applied for the area by the county council in question.
                        Denny is a lot of things but I cannot see him as Parish Priest, family land or no
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...o-late.189981/
                          Good stuff but the assumption that the tax relief on pensions will continue at 40% is risky in light of the proposals around autoenrolmwnt. I’ve been saying this for a while but it’s now in the govts pensions roadmap. Basically implying a tax relief rate of 25%.
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

€1,600 in the pot now and time running out for shippage.

Let's do this.

Comment

This time next week you could be the one sitting atop with that '€2K just about it in the pocket feeling' whilst frantically trying to avoid a motley selection of 33/1 bullets in the Grand Annual. Don't let it pass you by.

Send you my advertising bill later G.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                This time next week you could be the one sitting atop with that '€2K just about it in the pocket feeling' whilst frantically trying to avoid a motley selection of 33/1 bullets in the Grand Annual. Don't let it pass you by.

Send you my advertising bill later G.
                                The weird thing, given the nature of the comp, is that no-one has ever binked it on the last race!

This could be the year...you should get in yourself and show us how it's done.

Comment

The weird thing, given the nature of the comp, is that no-one has ever binked it on the last race!

This could be the year...you should get in yourself and show us how it's done.
                                  Almost no chance I'd remember to get my selections in, I'd be that forgetful person who loses €200 a day from the bank.

Comment

Tiger leading a golf tournament, Ckid's yearly post incoming,
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Bogey on the last deflated the party a bit.

Comment

I have a meeting with my pension advisor next week, poor idea to change to 100% equities now?

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                        Good stuff but the assumption that the tax relief on pensions will continue at 40% is risky in light of the proposals around autoenrolmwnt. I’ve been saying this for a while but it’s now in the govts pensions roadmap. Basically implying a tax relief rate of 25%.
                                        Jeez would want to lump it in now so.

Comment

Comment

No sympathy at all for the lad but that RTE producer is going to jail in the UK for 18 months for what is essentially a thought crime.

Question that maybe Hotspur would know the answer to but do lads like him ever come in looking for help without being forced in by being caught?
                                            I suppose its not something that anyone would be talking about in public afterwards.
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 09-03-18, 21:12.

Comment

No sympathy at all for the lad but that RTE producer is going to jail in the UK for 18 months for what is essentially a thought crime.
                                              If he thought of having sex with a 13 year old, that would be his business. Once he actually arranged a meeting with what he thought was one to have actual sex, that made it very far removed from a thought crime. I'm amazed at your post to be honest.

Comment

Comment

Am proud of this one...

Last edited by Lazare; 09-03-18, 21:23.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Win the Cheltenham Tipping Comp and the world can GFO. €1,700 to play for.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                      I have a meeting with my pension advisor next week, poor idea to change to 100% equities now?

Jeez would want to lump it in now so.
                                                      What were you in??

In the medium term I’d prefer infrastructure, emerging market multi assets, litigation finance, pharma royalties lending, reinsurance funds. Basically diverse income yielding alternatives for the next few years than a passive equity holding given equity valuations now.

But in reality it’s very hard for a normal punter to get access to that sort of diversification at a reasonable cost.
                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                          If he thought of having sex with a 13 year old, that would be his business. Once he actually arranged a meeting with what he thought was one to have actual sex, that made it very far removed from a thought crime. I'm amazed at your post to be honest.
                                                          His is a very clear cut case but I am still a bit uncomfortable about these entrapment vigilantes and can imagine more innocent types being led on.

Its more the idea of him claiming to be relieved that he was caught and is now able to get help has me wondering about the whole concept of preempting criminal and anti social behaviours.

Comment

Comment

The law should be set up in such a way as to catch these cunts regardless of the method. Imo.

Have mixed opinions about these vigilante paedo hunter groups though. Something seems wrong about it to me. Maybe the vigilante aspect of it. I think I'd be more comfortable with it if it was undercover Police/Gardai doing it.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

His is a very clear cut case but I am still a bit uncomfortable about these entrapment vigilantes and can imagine more innocent types being led on.

Its more the idea of him claiming to be relieved that he was caught and is now able to get help has me wondering about the whole concept of preempting criminal and anti social behaviours.
                                                                Have said it before. The vigilante groups need to contact the police/gardai before meeting these people. They should be turning up with the Gards, not just ringing them at the time and waiting. But yanno, Facebook likes is where it's at

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                  Is it straightforward to get into a frontier market fund? - think there's an ETF Frontier100, of 100 most liquid frontier market stocks, but don't know how accessible it is.
                                                                  Is there not some real issues getting into more obscure ETF funds due to the main US providers not being interested in complying with new European disclosure requirements? I read a thread on it a few weeks ago and Vangard seemed to be withdrawing availability of euro based ETFs which was creating major tax headaches for Irish tax residents.

None of my corporate clients use ETFs so I don’t know very much about them.

I’m sure there are plenty of frontier ETFs available via online brokers but the tax implications need to be clearly understood.

Comment

Comment

Question that maybe Hotspur would know the answer to but do lads like him ever come in looking for help without being forced in by being caught?
                                                                      I suppose its not something that anyone would be talking about in public afterwards.
                                                                      I remember listening to a podcast one time about people who felt these urges and had set up support groups online to try and stop themselves acting upon them.

There was an 18 year old lad who had set up a forum and all, was quite sad.

Comment

Is there not some real issues getting into more obscure ETF funds due to the main US providers not being interested in complying with new European disclosure requirements? I read a thread on it a few weeks ago and Vangard seemed to be withdrawing availability of euro based ETFs which was creating major tax headaches for Irish tax residents.

None of my corporate clients use ETFs so I don’t know very much about them.

I’m sure there are plenty of frontier ETFs available via online brokers but the tax implications need to be clearly understood.
                                                                        I think it's easier to get into those funds through things like pensions than just on your own through degiro or whatever.

I saw a thread on AAM today suggesting that there will be some way around the documentation issue in the medium term. Seems that there may be a loophole where you can ask for access to them rather than being 'offered' them. There's apparently an issue where the documentation is required in the EU now but for some reason actively disallowed in the US, so there may be an angle where they provide the documentation but with a disclaimer that it's not for use by Americans.

Comment

Long range @tylerdurden spotting in convention centre
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                            Long range @tylerdurden spotting in convention centre
                                                                            What was the event?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

What was the event?
                                                                                  That this has to be asked! Amateur hour.

Comment

Having said that, the guy literally went over to meet a kid, so this seems bang to rights.
                                                                                    Not quite "literally". Which is what SP was getting at.
                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 10-03-18, 00:41.

Comment

has me wondering about the whole concept of preempting criminal and anti social behaviours.
                                                                                      You should check out Pre-Crime, feature length documentary I saw in the film festival this year.

Big brother isn't just watching. They are buying every piece of data available about you and they are sticking it into an algorithm to see if you will potentially be a criminal. They are then knocking on your door and telling you what they think and how the penalties will be even worse if you follow through as you've got a warning.

It's still in it's early days, but proper scary shit.

Comment

...

Comment

At your age you should be 100% equity (assuming the alternatives are bonds and cash). It's a 30-40 year decision you are making! I'd personally try to be marginally underweight Europe and US as a long-term play and overweight developing markets + frontier markets (if later is possible).

Not a short or medium term view btw, but a long term one. Like e.g. if US + Europe are 70% of global market cap, then maybe be around 60% weighted in that, plus 40% in others.
                                                                                          Surely it's not that long of a decision as you can reevaluate, such as now with the evaluation of equities. If you think something is not worth it, switch it up?
                                                                                          What were you in??

In the medium term I’d prefer infrastructure, emerging market multi assets, litigation finance, pharma royalties lending, reinsurance funds. Basically diverse income yielding alternatives for the next few years than a passive equity holding given equity valuations now.

But in reality it’s very hard for a normal punter to get access to that sort of diversification at a reasonable cost.
                                                                                          It's some default passively managed one I got from BOI (managed by SSGA) when I asked for "mostly equities" in 2012 and haven't thought about since, looking at it now it's "Equities, property, bonds, cash and the PRIME 3 Fund".

69% equities
                                                                                          17% corporate bonds
                                                                                          8% long bonds
                                                                                          4% property
                                                                                          2% cash
                                                                                          Growth over that time has been 15.7%, 16.1%, 12.6%, 3.8%, 7.7%, 11%

I assume this guy will have some sort of list of ones they do but I'm not sure if it will be broken down to your level above!? It might be something simple like "here yes have more equities" but pumping more into equities now I'm not sure is the best move, I've never really chatted to these lads so don't know what to expect from them re specifics like your suggestions.
                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-03-18, 01:41.

Comment

What was the event?
                                                                                            Craft beer festival
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Fair point! Think those groups of 'vigilantes' are full of highly disturbed people.
                                                                                              Absolutely.
                                                                                              For the record, I've no issue with sending this scumbag to jail.
                                                                                              But I do think it's a peculiar scenario.

Imagine somebody posed online as a drug dealer, arranged to meet up you sell you an bag of marching powder. You turn up, there's no drugs. But you get arrested for possession anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                Craft beer festival
                                                                                                Strange place for a commited bulmers drinker like TD to be at.

Comment

Never in Hotspurs wildest dreams did he believe it would become this big, and now all the smart money is on it making the next olympics.
                                                                                                  I hereby acknowledge the subtle humour in the above post

Comment

Looking forward to Dublins man utd V Sligo's Liverpool today. I do hope Dobby and Elshambles don't behave like children after the match. Tis only a game lads

Also Ireland by 20 is a good bet v the scots

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                      Looking forward to Dublins man utd V Sligo's Liverpool today. I do hope Dobby and Elshambles don't behave like children after the match. Tis only a game lads

Sporting day starts shortly with Ireland v west Indies world cup qualifier from Harare

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                        Sporting day starts shortly with Ireland v west Indies world cup qualifier from Harare
                                                                                                        Masha and the bear binge watch for me.

Comment

Strange place for a commited bulmers drinker like TD to be at.
                                                                                                          Maybe he was 'grabbing a bite to eat'.

Comment

Fixed?

Comment

Fixed
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                Fixed
                                                                                                                Piss off you!

Comment

Piss off you!
                                                                                                                  You asked

Comment

Masha and the bear binge watch for me.
                                                                                                                    Mickey mouse club house marathon session in the car...
                                                                                                                    Oh the joy

Comment

Why? What odds? Damp day few showers forecast ball will be slippy. We have conceded a lot of tries v wingers in this tournament. Scots have decent outside backs and can see us conceding a good few points. There away record in the 6 nations is woeful though.

Comment

...

Comment

Ireland West indies now on sky sports mix. Ireland not looking great tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X