Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    you'll lose access to play store and google services
    meaning OS, gmail, maps etc etc wont be updated and if a vulnerability is found, wont be patched.
    It's a huge blow

The first response is to promise that existing Huawei and Honor phones will keep receiving security updates
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

you'll lose access to play store and google services
      meaning OS, gmail, maps etc etc wont be updated and if a vulnerability is found, wont be patched.
      Not sure if that is quite right, in the short to medium term.

It's a huge blow
      This is though.

Obv this is more about Trump's trade war on China than anything else.
      Whatever backdoors they put in their equipment are no better or worse than the ones the Americans have in Intel and all the other western manufacturers chips.

Trade wars on this level are very much easier to start than stop and this one has the potential to kick off a polarisation between economic systems, setting up the Eastern and Western dominated parts of the planet against each other in a way we haven't seen since the heyday of the USSR.

Not good at all.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I got a contract in October 60 a month with my phone

Few asking 3 on fb. Their reply

Hi guys 👋 We’re aware of the recent news from Google in relation to Huawei devices. For now, this does not affect existing customers with these devices. We’re awaiting further clarification from Huawei on this, as soon as we know more we’ll be back in touch. Susan
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

I'd be wanting to diverge from google if I was a company looking at this. The phones are de facto being banned in the EU without any choice by us. Mostly due to the fact that Google is a US company and obeying the US. Or how else would it work here? The problem with having such a monopoly that is partisan. Piratebay had the right idea trying to buy an island, we need a tech jurisdiction.

Comment

Maybe it's my reading of it
            They can still use ASOP but not the playstore
            ie. all the open source android stuff will still be there but access to proprietary google apps wont

Huawei will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app.

Google will stop providing any technical support and collaboration for Android and Google services to Huawei going forward.
            Maybe current phones will be fine until 10 is ubiquitous among other devices and updates play services.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Maybe it's my reading of it
              They can still use ASOP but not the playstore
              ie. all the open source android stuff will still be there but access to proprietary google apps wont

Maybe current phones will be fine until 10 is ubiquitous among other devices and updates play services.
              Wonder will phone companies allow you to come out of contract or change phone. I fucking paid nearly 500 upfront on this.
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

Trump must have the support of the people behind the curtain or they would cut his pudgy little hands off rather than allow him run a trade war by tweet.

How much money does the US owe China? Enough that they didn't feel they needed to pay Trump off obv

Comment

Corrupt Nazi scumbags.

Particularly considering they are the grandads of all the Putin-backed, junior Nazi scumbags currently proliferating across our continent, this is great news.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                    Wonder will phone companies allow you to come out of contract or change phone. I fucking paid nearly 500 upfront on this.
                    Hold fire imo.
                    This is a salvo in a trade war. Might got the way of ZTE ban.
                    Intel, Qualcomm, Xilinx and Broadcom all pulled the plug too.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                      I'd be wanting to diverge from google if I was a company looking at this. The phones are de facto being banned in the EU without any choice by us. Mostly due to the fact that Google is a US company and obeying the US. Or how else would it work here? The problem with having such a monopoly that is partisan. Piratebay had the right idea trying to buy an island, we need a tech jurisdiction.
                      It's a pain but US companies have to obey US laws. I work for a US company and we do a lot, and I mean a lot, of work for Huawei, most of it not touching the US but it is all in jeopardy now. Even if this gets sorted, if I was Huawei, I'd be tempted to move to another non US company incase this happened again.

Any loss of business won't personally effect me too badly as most of it is looked after by other departments but we have one regional sales guy that looks after the A/c for the whole of Europe. I can only imagine how much his commisson will fall off a cliff if we are forced to walk away from it all, think it took him the guts of 2 years to get the business on board, really feel for the guy!

Comment

Got my wedding suit sorted out on Saturday in Louis Copeland's. Geoff in there really is an absolute legend. Was with him for a good hour and a half and by the end of it, my only fear is that I may upstage the bride

When I was paying at the till, none other than our esteemed finanace minister, Paschal Donohoe, strolled in with (I presume) his missus. He was wearing shorts, a north face (or equivalent) type rain jacket and open toe sandals, the ones that have a seperate section for the big toe. I couldn't help but overhear him tell the shop assistant that he had seen a pair of shorts earlier, liked them and decided to come back in and try them on. It left like I was living through a Gift Grub sketch

Comment

Where would one get hold of a nice pair of casual shoes for a wedding? I'll likely only wear them about 4 times given my dislike of weddings so don't want to break the bank

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                            Where would one get hold of a nice pair of casual shoes for a wedding? I'll likely only wear them about 4 times given my dislike of weddings so don't want to break the bank
                            clarks

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Corrupt Nazi scumbags.

Particularly considering they are the grandads of all the Putin-backed, junior Nazi scumbags currently proliferating across our continent, this is great news.
                              You got to hand it to Farrage he gets his half million up front, over the counter and barefaced as a 'gift'

Comment

This is an amazing gesture. But also, illustrates how fucked the US is.

A billionaire technology investor has stunned the entire graduating class at a US university when he announced at their commencement he would pay off their student loans, estimated at $US40 million ($A58 million).
                                Robert F. Smith, this year's commencement speaker at Morehouse College, made the announcement while addressing nearly 400 graduating seniors of the all-male historically black college in Atlanta, Georgia.
                                Smith, who is black, is the founder and CEO of Vista Equity Partners, a private equity firm that invests in software, data, and technology-driven companies.
                                "On behalf of the eight generations of my family that have been in this country, we're gonna put a little fuel in your bus," the investor and philanthropist told graduates in his morning address on Sunday. "This is my class, 2019. And my family is making a grant to eliminate their student loans."
                                The announcement immediately drew stunned looks from faculty and students alike. Then the graduates broke into the biggest cheers of the morning. Morehouse said it is the single largest gift to the college.
                                Smith, who received an honorary doctorate from Morehouse during the ceremony, had already announced a $US1.5 million gift to the school. The pledge to eliminate student debt for the class of 2019 is estimated to be $US40 million
                                Works out at $100k per student. It's insane that that is the average debt. One guy interviewed was $200k in the red

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  You got to hand it to Farrage he gets his half million up front, over the counter and barefaced as a 'gift'
                                  not all bad...

Comment

The guy in the background is having the time of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      The guy in the background is having the time of his life.

Comment

Action is about 50Secs in and then as he's being ld away he lays into his minder for not stopping it

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Action is about 50Secs in and then as he's being ld away he lays into his minder for not stopping it
                                          some amount of skinheads there

Comment

Meanwhile in other populist scumbag news

Ben Gilroy ups his game for the cameras

And Stephen 'posher than chd' Yaxley-Lennon gets run out of Bootle

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-05-19, 20:29.
                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                  Yep, thats the scary thing. It seems *whispers* PSV was right all along. Google can - if they are forced to - destroy actual countries.

Europe is going to become a plaything of the US. At least China has alternatives, Europe has no tech apart from Angry Birds.
                                                  The tech age is barely started. Europe will be fine. The markets are too valuable to mess with. Google can be replaced .

Comment

Comment

GoT wrapped everything up nicely. A satisfying ending.
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                        SPOILER
                                                        It was fucking awful.

Comment

Poor effort m8.
                                                          SPOILER
                                                          About to sit down and watch but know it’s shite already as I read the spoilers 2 weeks ago (have never done that before) . Can’t believe those 2 cunts went with this so they can go off to make some neutered Star Wars rubbish for disney

Comment

Yep, thats the scary thing. It seems *whispers* PSV was right all along. Google can - if they are forced to - destroy actual countries.
                                                            '"Google are cunts" as I may or may not have said on here about 3000 times

Nestle back to killing babies again fwiw

Comment

Europe has no tech! It most definitely won't be fine.
                                                              Mobile or get the fuck out has a certain ring to it

Comment

Sport is a funny old thing. Incredible stories from today that I will share in 3 weeks time when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                  It was fucking awful.
                                                                  I was going to post something and then I read this and thought that sums it up nicely.

I think this is a good read on the final season.

Opr

Comment

well i liked it. yiz are all crazy .

Comment

I went from really looking forward to the final season to delighted it's over.

Comment

Genuinely feel sorry for the actors. Seems to be plenty evidence out there they weren’t too happy how it played out
                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 20-05-19, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Works out at $100k per student. It's insane that that is the average debt. One guy interviewed was $200k in the red
                                                                          Ugh, it’s like that Drake video where he goes around handing wads of cash to people looking like a great guy, while the system stays the same.
                                                                          Yanks are fked

Comment

Comment

GOT

SPOILER
                                                                              I enjoyed it. Some of the images in the first part of the show were gorgeous with all the ash.

Yes we didn't get a final series which lived up to quality of the show at it's height. But I felt a sense of gratitude at the end, as I did throughout the final season actually. It's been wonderful entertainment over the years, and even getting 10s of millions of people to the point of such anticipation of the final season is so wonderful.

I have never been more excited sitting down to watch a TV show than for The Long Night.

Thanks GOT.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                Yanks are fked
                                                                                Sobering thought: if the above is true, then we are fked to the power of infinity.

Comment

GoT:

SPOILER
                                                                                  ^^^^ Get a load of this holistic motherfucker. Sit down Hotspur

Know what you mean though, the show was amazing and had so many fantastic characters. Never have people been hated people like Joffrey, Walder Frey, sir twentygoodmen, and loved so many more. It really got people excited all over the world, no matter the detraction's there was so much that was wonderful about it, mostly the camaraderie it inspired whether we were loving it, shitting on it or just guessing what would happen.

Anybody know inchicore area well? Someone I know wanting to buy an apartment there but doesn't know the area at all. There are some dodgier places right?

Few they are looking at:
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  inchicore/kilmainham:

12 James Plunkett House, Inchicore, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

60 Seven Oaks, Inchicore, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

4 Oblate View, Tyrconnell Road, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

34 Harcourt Lodge, Southern Cross Avenue, Inchicore, Dublin 8, South

126 The Tramyard, Inchicore, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

9 The Cammock, Mount Brown, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

62 St.James's Court, Kilmainham, Dublin 8, South Dublin City

General places to go for or avoid?

Comment

Just got a mail-Buy2 get 50% off On Tailors mark, 30% off 1, time for a plunge

Comment

Bottlers

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                        The ending was ‘as in life’ unfair and yet poetic. The only regal person became king. The new parliament was amusingly accurate as to the normal array of self serving bastards . John Snuu was never a king and he seemed happy to be off with his precious wildings in the end. The Dragon flew off to sulk and contemplate Drexit. There is some opportunity for spins offs and the like to keep those of us who don’t take their fantasy too seriously. Hotspur captured the whole show compendiously above. It was great entertainment and reached highs and some moderate levels. The beauty is it got people very emotionally involved . Some show to do that. My fav scene was still when Dannis brother got crowned.

Comment

GoT:

SPOILER

Know what you mean though, the show was amazing and had so many fantastic characters. Never have people been hated people like Joffrey, Walder Frey, sir twentygoodmen, and loved so many more. It really got people excited all over the world, no matter the detraction's there was so much that was wonderful about it, mostly the camaraderie it inspired whether we were loving it, shitting on it or just guessing what would happen.

Anybody know inchicore area well? Someone I know wanting to buy an apartment there but doesn't know the area at all. There are some dodgier places right?

Few they are looking at:
                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                          inchicore/kilmainham:

I lived on Bulfin road for two years around 2009/2010. Good neighbours and happy out. Phoenix park and other parks nearby. Canal is a nice cycle in to town. I even did a dance class for a short while which was hilarious. Handy spot for driving out of the city quickly.

I wouldn’t have fancied being much closer to Inchicore itself but never had any problems personally.

On the other hand plenty of reports of drug dealers beaten up, lads drowned in the canal etc. I personally wouldn’t want to raise my kid there but I’d say that about most places in Dublin.

As for those 250k shoeboxes. Fuck.
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

GoT:

SPOILER

Few they are looking at:
                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                            inchicore/kilmainham:

The real TV show was the banter we had along the way? I'm good with that.

Inchicore is grand. A normal working class area. The trouble spot is Tyrone Place - on the road up to the school, graveyard and, unfortunately, the Luas stop. The kids there are basically feral and cause a lot of grief for the mostly normal and decent residents. One of them set fire to it last year, so a lot of them were moved out because of smoke damage. So it's not as bad as it used to be. Up towards Bluebell and Kylemore can be a bit more shady. It's gentrifying rapidly but there's still a few run down clusters of council housing.

The nicest of the apts listed is Seven Oaks. That's a lovely area and the War Memorial Park is one of the best parks in the city. Harcourt Lodge would be in 2nd place here.

I lived in the Tramyard for three years. There was some trouble with stolen bikes and local kids causing issues, but otherwise it was great. The residents association are actually pretty decent at policing the area. You just have to let them know about any problems you're having. Tell him to try to get an apt facing the river - the constant sound of the water is unreal.

I don't know the Kilmainham ones so won't speak for them, but it's much more gentrified than Inchicore overall.
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

On the subject of apartments. I was talking to a guy who recently moved in to our village having downsized post a divorce. He was looking at 1 bed apts in Tallaght asking 200k and selling for 280k when he decided to look out our way (Ex and kids moved to Roscommon).

He bought a big 3 bed apt for 150k and drives in to Balinteer for work on his motorbike with a 1hr 40 daily round trip.

Has anything changed from 2006?
                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

re: GoT

If we'd gotten to this exact ending via a better written, but equally well produced, acted and directed route, we'd all be claiming there will never be a better TV show. And if this is GRRM's ending, I can't fucking wait for the next book.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

That's the guy that technically owns our company (STATS). Pretty cool

Comment

Why would we sell last December when we were told Q1 might be profitable and Tesla would be profitable every quarter after that?

If we were told they were going to have a major delivery problems and a big loss in Q1, and probably a loss in Q2, you would have a point.... Now I know there might be a loss in Q2, but I'm trapped with margin calls and more than a 7 figure paper loss because I believed Elon, so I'm completely screwed and have to hope for a recovery to at least 320 the next few months.
                                                                                                    This post resonated with me as I am in a similar position. Unfortunately we all believed Elon. I love the guy, he’s incredible, but he just oversaw nearly a 50% drop in market cap. That is disastrous. I hope he learned his lesson. Nobody gives a *sugar* about robotaxis, people want TANGIBLE goals and actual execution.
                                                                                                    This post resonated with me as I am in a similar position. Unfortunately we all believed Elon. I love the guy, he’s incredible, but he just oversaw nearly a 50% drop in market cap. That is disastrous. I hope he learned his lesson. Nobody gives a *sugar* about robotaxis, people want TANGIBLE goals and actual execution.
                                                                                                    I’m in the exact same boat actually, 6 figures loss still but very close to 7. Margin call looming. Now, this is gonna bite me, but Tesla also! Very likely that I’m gonna cancel my MX P100DL order, because of the impact of Elon telegraphing Wall street the 10 months till bankruptcy.

You see, I’m just an average Joe, no way I could afford a $130K car if it wasn’t for the gain from the stock. I have to believe there are more people in the same situation as me.
                                                                                                    How are you going to explain all these trading losses to your wives?
                                                                                                    Losses occur when you sell below the price you bought. I have no losses, I'm even still up 10% or so at this moment, but even if I was in the red I'd be really stupid to sell given that all my shares were bought with cash.

My wife is rational about the SP and also believes in The Mission - she says "long term this won't make any difference". She also accepts that there's always a risk, even though I consider it very low indeed, to lose it all. Won't change our lives if that happens, it's money for a lush retirement, not for daily living, we both have good jobs.
                                                                                                    Jaysus
                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-05-19, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                      I lived on Bulfin road for two years around 2009/2010. Good neighbours and happy out. Phoenix park and other parks nearby. Canal is a nice cycle in to town. I even did a dance class for a short while which was hilarious. Handy spot for driving out of the city quickly.

I wouldn’t have fancied being much closer to Inchicore itself but never had any problems personally.

On the other hand plenty of reports of drug dealers beaten up, lads drowned in the canal etc. I personally wouldn’t want to raise my kid there but I’d say that about most places in Dublin.

As for those 250k shoeboxes. Fuck.
                                                                                                      Yeah i don't think she plans to stay there, just would rather it was not in an area where people are getting drowned haha! I was thinking of starting doing a dance class

I know right, the prices are depressing, she is considering there because it's actually better value than most places around!

The real TV show was the banter we had along the way? I'm good with that.

Inchicore is grand. A normal working class area. The trouble spot is Tyrone Place - on the road up to the school, graveyard and, unfortunately, the Luas stop. The kids there are basically feral and cause a lot of grief for the mostly normal and decent residents. One of them set fire to it last year, so a lot of them were moved out because of smoke damage. So it's not as bad as it used to be. Up towards Bluebell and Kylemore can be a bit more shady. It's gentrifying rapidly but there's still a few run down clusters of council housing.

The nicest of the apts listed is Seven Oaks. That's a lovely area and the War Memorial Park is one of the best parks in the city. Harcourt Lodge would be in 2nd place here.

I lived in the Tramyard for three years. There was some trouble with stolen bikes and local kids causing issues, but otherwise it was great. The residents association are actually pretty decent at policing the area. You just have to let them know about any problems you're having. Tell him to try to get an apt facing the river - the constant sound of the water is unreal.

I don't know the Kilmainham ones so won't speak for them, but it's much more gentrified than Inchicore overall.
                                                                                                      TBH I had way more fun talking about it than watching it, especially in the last season or two. Wish they hadn't fucked it up of course, could have been up there with the wire for me.

Cheers for the local view! I'll pass all that on. Kilmainham anywhere seems grand, I work there and sure there's no problems at all. Inchicore is more of a black spot for me.

re: GoT

If we'd gotten to this exact ending via a better written, but equally well produced, acted and directed route, we'd all be claiming there will never be a better TV show. And if this is GRRM's ending, I can't fucking wait for the next book.
                                                                                                      Yeah I think the main problem is just purely the writing, the shortness of time given being ancillary. Dany just straight up changes drastically, everybody started saying stupid things etc. Books will be class, as they always have been. Not so sure we will ever see the final one.

Comment

GoT:

SPOILER
                                                                                                        Taking king's landing with for whom the bell tolls playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHlCiB98N4

Comment

That Balcony on that Seven Oaks apartment is class!

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                            That Balcony on that Seven Oaks apartment is class!
                                                                                                            I think that's pretty much the only one from inchicore she is still considering after I talked to her now haha!
                                                                                                            It's pretty sweet all right.

Comment

Anyone that has used Tailor's mark.... what is a good weave? I am getting a shirt for my wedding.

Comment

I think that's pretty much the only one from inchicore she is still considering after I talked to her now haha!
                                                                                                                It's pretty sweet all right.
                                                                                                                Only trouble with it is the buses outside will be coming and going through Ballyfermot so will be a bit lively.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                  On the subject of apartments. I was talking to a guy who recently moved in to our village having downsized post a divorce. He was looking at 1 bed apts in Tallaght asking 200k and selling for 280k when he decided to look out our way (Ex and kids moved to Roscommon).

He bought a big 3 bed apt for 150k and drives in to Balinteer for work on his motorbike with a 1hr 40 daily round trip.

Has anything changed from 2006
                                                                                                                  ?
                                                                                                                  His carbon footprint?

On a related note, a relative commutes from just outside Castlebar to Athlone every day. Madness.

The sooner we have a properly punitive carbon tax in place the better. Good eggs like yourself with your self-driving e-car excluded!

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                                    Anyone that has used Tailor's mark.... what is a good weave? I am getting a shirt for my wedding.
                                                                                                                    Twill imo.

A shirt probably a good idea for the wedding. Now tell us the Vegas story.

Comment

Thurles to DCU is the record around here.

Comment

Only trouble with it is the buses outside will be coming and going through Ballyfermot so will be a bit lively.
                                                                                                                        You are most wise, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                          Thurles to DCU is the record around here.
                                                                                                                          An environmental crime.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X