No announcement yet.

Fitness and stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also one session of weights and I'm pissed off at people putting weights in the wrong places?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      I let him do what he thought, he gave me a lot of exercises like you guessed above, then in 3-6 weeks I'll start on the 5x5, I like this. It was fecking hard going today because I'm pretty weak in a lot of areas but I enjoy it.

So what i'm doing for the moment (these only range from 4-9kg til I get better form and I'll up it soon):

shoulder press 4x15
      lat pull down 4x15
      bent over single arm row 4x15 x2
      chest press 4x15
      prone row 4x15
      prone fly 4x15
      walking lunges 4x15 x2
      bicep curls 21s 3x15
      Tricep extensions 3x15

Then some other non weight work:
      double leg raises 2 x 25
      plank 2 x 30 secs
      ab taps 2 x 30 secs
      cross overs 2 x 30 secs
      back extensions 2 x 25

Finally cool down stretches.

I'll try that 3 times a week and keep my cardio 2 times a week.
      Thats a lot of exercises for a complete newbie.
      Why are you going to do this and then do 5x5 ?
      Not giving out just curious.
      5x5 brilliance is its simplicity.
      Be better off doing 5x5 can throw in a few bicep curls and other isolation exercises if you wish.
      5x5 the exercises are compound exercises exercise more than one muscle group.
      Think that programme is needlessly complictated how long does a work out take?
      Good luck with it anyways

Comment

Agree on 5x5 and simplicity in general, simple but gets really boring as you start to struggle, would highly recommend Candito 6 week - http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/

Comment

Hey Tara,

GL with this. Losing 45 pounds is awesome. Like yourself I lost 61 pounds so far and starting to get into the fitness in order to tone up. Am currently mainly doing cardio and core (planking as trying to improve the fitness before tackling the weights. I havent really be doing much weights so far, only dabbling in order to get used to it, but will probably start taking it more seriously in mid August after my holidays.

Just wanted to say GL and try not overdo it as that is a surefire way to lose interest. Keep it fun and you will get a lot more of it. Not an expert by any means as many here are more qualified than I am, but coming for the same place as you (except massive meat eater ) am interested in how you progress, only stumbled on this thread today. Will be using this as my motivational tool as I will be reading this for tips etc...

Good luck again!
          Last edited by pokerhand; 02-07-15, 17:31.
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Got blood tests done this morning, everything should be in order but I like to check.
            Cardio day today. I thought more of my muscles would hurt today but it's just mainly a bit sore in my abs.

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
            Hey Tara,

GL with this. Losing 45 pounds is awesome. Like yourself I lost 61 pounds so far and starting to get into the fitness in order to tone up. Am currently mainly doing cardio and core (planking as trying to improve the fitness before tackling the weights. I havent really be doing much weights so far, only dabbling in order to get used to it, but will probably start taking it more seriously in mid August after my holidays.

Just wanted to say GL and try not overdo it as that is a surefire way to lose interest. Keep it fun and you will get a lot more of it. Not an expert by any means as many here are more qualified than I am, but coming for the same place as you (except massive meat eater ) am interested in how you progress, only stumbled on this thread today. Will be using this as my motivational tool as I will be reading this for tips etc...

Good luck again!
            Woah great job man, 61 pounds
            What cardio do you do? I was running but now I'm doing crosstrainer every time, not as full a workout for me. I was the same with the weights, I still have more weight to lose but would like to start weights now at least a couple times a week, seems a bit counterproductive to lose calories and put on muscle but I'm sure there are newb benefits.

Good luck, my brother is using me as motivation as well.
            Originally posted by bohsman View Post
            Agree on 5x5 and simplicity in general, simple but gets really boring as you start to struggle, would highly recommend Candito 6 week - http://www.canditotraininghq.com/fre...ngth-programs/
            Cheers will check this out, I don't really want to do the same thing every time.

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            Thats a lot of exercises for a complete newbie.
            Why are you going to do this and then do 5x5 ?
            Not giving out just curious.
            5x5 brilliance is its simplicity.
            Be better off doing 5x5 can throw in a few bicep curls and other isolation exercises if you wish.
            5x5 the exercises are compound exercises exercise more than one muscle group.
            Think that programme is needlessly complictated how long does a work out take?
            Good luck with it anyways
            Not much reason! I like variety and these are exercises I can do easier at home, also my brothers do them and have the weights already. I'll probably be doing a mix and mat of all the things in time but I do like variety in those exercises. I think I'll transition to what you say pretty fast. I want to do some prone flies anyway they were pathetic.

Not really sure how long it will take since he was showing me them all and correcting me as well yesterday, that is a worry, I'm only in there an hour so I may leave the core stuff until home and just do weights and see can I finish them in an hour. I think I can streamline by doing one set of one, then doing a set of another to let the first muscles rest.

Comment

Worth trying to keep your workouts <1hr imo.

Comment

Anybody ever have a problem where they can't rotate their wrist far enough? Like if I hold my arms straight out and try to put my hands face up, I cant. My hand is at about a 30 degree angle, this makes straight curls very hard/sore on wrists.

Comment

Anybody ever have a problem where they can't rotate their wrist far enough? Like if I hold my arms straight out and try to put my hands face up, I cant. My hand is at about a 30 degree angle, this makes straight curls very hard/sore on wrists.

Most people do bicep curls with an EZ bar for this purpose.

Your gym should have one of these. If not you can just do hammer curls.

Learn to perform every exercise! The Exercise Guide has exercise videos, photos, details, community tips and reviews to help you reach your fitness goals

Comment

I haven't seen one of those, might try hammer ones. I know my wrist cant turn as much as other people which is a problem.

Comment

Woah great job man, 61 pounds
                      What cardio do you do? I was running but now I'm doing crosstrainer every time, not as full a workout for me. I was the same with the weights, I still have more weight to lose but would like to start weights now at least a couple times a week, seems a bit counterproductive to lose calories and put on muscle but I'm sure there are newb benefits.
                      I was grossly overweight so the loss came mainly from food and not exercise, ie cutting out the dairy, biscuits and reducing the bread and pizza. And basically watching the calories intake and limiting same.

I do the theadmill for 20 - 40 minutes depending on time and energy. I like running and hate HATE the crosstrainer so stick to the threadmill. I like mixing up the speed so go at a steady pace for 8 mins or so and then ramp it up by 30% for 1 min then back for 5 min then increase it by 10% and up the gradient for 3 mins etc... Basically mix it up and push myself a little. On weekends I like to try to to longer,

Sometimes do the bike but the treadmill and free weights are my weapons of choice. For me workouts should be challenging but enjoyable.
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Second day of the weights routine (first weekend gym trip ever ) It was hard work but I got it done in an hour (minus core). Felt fairly terrible towards the end, hard going. Was no break, one set of one exercises on to the next while that muscle rests. Will try the core stuff later.

prone fly easily my worst thing followed by tricep extensions.

Comment

3rd weights day today, found it much easier and faster to do, must be careful not to go too fast. Will up some of the weights now I think.

Comment

recommendation for video programs on flexibility? I like to follow along.

Comment

Did weights thurs, cardio fri, weights today. Longer session today just putting a lot of exercises up a couple kg. They still range from 3-10kg

Witht he kinda light weights I do do I really need a day off to do cardio?

Comment

Another weight session today followed by core, raised my puny weights a bit. Have lost so much strength losing over 3 stone in weight.

shoulder press 4x15 6kg -> 8kg
                                lat pull down 4x15 level 8 -> level 10. 12 is max on machine.
                                bent over single arm row 4x15 x2 8kg -> 10kg
                                chest press 4x15 6kg -> 10kg
                                prone row 4x15 4kg -> 7kg
                                prone fly 4x15 2kg ->4kg
                                walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                bicep curls 21s 3x15 4kg -> 7.5kg
                                Tricep extensions 3x15 6kg -> 7kg

Still can't supinate wrists so that kills me, trying some stretches.
                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-07-15, 19:07.

Comment

Did cardio today, 14 of the last 15 days have been gym days o./

crosstrainer levels 13-15 for 50 mins. 8.5km 650cals.

Comment

Weights and core today, managed to get it done in just over an hour. Might try some deadlifts next time.

Comment

Got my blood tests this morning, word doctor used to describe them was "beautiful" as she flicked through all the pages shaking her head, nearly burst out laughing at that. Everything was perfect with B12 on the border of high, healthiest bloods she had seen and am being told to keep whatever I am doing up. Feels good man, first test since veganism so was wondering if anything would be fucked up.

Did my heart checkup then, ECG etc and that's all perfect too, commented that I must do lots of sport, haha, yeah 20 years ago. Think my heart rate is going sub 50 from mid 70s last year

Anyway onto today's session, level 14 on the xtrainer, 50 mins, 8.5km, 670 cals. Felt that one.
                                      keeping up my streak of 16 days. Weights + core tomorrow

Saw a guy putting back weights and put 20kg onto a barbell a guy was actually using by accident, was hilarious (although dangerous), the guy lifting was so confused as to why it had gotten so much harder for his right arm.

Comment

Continuing with 17 day streak it's weights and core again. I'm not sure how you represent the weigths so I'll say what I use in each hand

shoulder press 4x15 8kg
                                        lat pull down 4x15 level 10. 50kg?
                                        Bent over single arm row 10kg
                                        chest press 4x15 10kg
                                        prone row 4x15 8kg
                                        prone fly 4x15 4kg
                                        walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                        bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg
                                        Tricep extensions 4x15 8kg

core:
                                        100 second plank
                                        30 second plank
                                        ab tabs 2x 30s
                                        leg raises 2x25
                                        leg scissors 2x30s
                                        back extensions 2x25

Comment

Yesterday I did cardio, xtrainer 52 mins 660 cals, level 14.

Today upped some weights:

shoulder press 4x15 8kg -> 9kg
                                          lat pull down 4x15 level 10 ->11 55kg?
                                          Bent over single arm row 10kg -> 12kg
                                          chest press 4x15 10kg -> 12kg (1x15 14kg)
                                          prone row 4x15 8kg - > 9kg
                                          prone fly 4x15 4kg -> 5kg
                                          walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                          bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg
                                          Tricep extensions 4x15 8kg

core:
                                          120 second plank
                                          60 second plank
                                          ab tabs 2x 30s
                                          leg raises 2x25
                                          leg scissors 2x30s
                                          back extensions 2x25

Comment

Today:

shoulder press 4x15 9kg -> 10kg
                                            lat pull down 4x15 level 11 55kg?
                                            Bent over single arm row 4x15 12kg
                                            chest press 5x15 12kg
                                            prone row 4x15 9kg
                                            prone fly 4x15 5kg
                                            walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                            bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg -> 9kg
                                            Tricep extensions 4x15 8kg -> 10kg

core:
                                            60 second plank x2
                                            ab tabs 2x 30s
                                            leg raises 2x25
                                            leg scissors 2x30s
                                            back extensions 2x25

Comment

Yesterday 51 mins xtrainer, 670 cals level 14

today:

shoulder press 4x15 10kg
                                              chest press 5x15 12kg
                                              prone row 4x15 9kg -> 10kg
                                              prone fly 4x15 5kg
                                              walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                              bicep curls 21s 4x15 9kg
                                              Tricep extensions 4x15 10kg

Comment

day 23 in a row, gwan my son. crosstrainer level 14, 43 mins 9km 701 calories.
                                                First 700+ calorie crosstrainer session, felt good man.

Comment

today:

shoulder press 4x15 10kg
                                                  chest press 4x15 12kg
                                                  prone row 4x15 10kg
                                                  prone fly 4x15 5kg -> 6kg
                                                  walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                  bicep curls 21s 4x15 9kg

Haven't had time to get my core work done in there and seem to be so lazy at home, quite the problemo. Am being pressured to eat pizza instead of going to the gym tomorrow.

Comment

today:

shoulder press 4x15 10kg
                                                    chest press 4x15 12kg
                                                    prone row 4x15 10kg
                                                    prone fly 4x15 5kg -> 6kg
                                                    walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                    bicep curls 21s 4x15 9kg

Haven't had time to get my core work done in there and seem to be so lazy at home, quite the problemo. Am being pressured to eat pizza instead of going to the gym tomorrow.
                                                    Nothing wrong with having some rest days. Going to the gym every day isn't necessarily a good thing

Comment

Oh yeah totally agree, it won't be sustainable, for the time being it's no problem with what little I do in terms of weight.

Comment

What's the goal Tar? Lot of exercises without a lot of effort there!

Comment

Not really sure, just wanna get a bit stronger, better cardio, better core, better flexibility. Don't particularly care about lifting huge numbers but that will just be part of it.

I lost 50 pounds in a year and with that a lot of strength, along with never lifting ever, so most my starting weights were just 5/6kg, one was as low as 2kg, the prone fly. Just going up linearly atm, I've doubled the weights I started at two weeks ago and my arms are noticeably bigger and stronger, I don't take any rest between sets at all so it's quite a lot of work in that sense (during the week I need to get it all done in under an hour as it is at lunch, at the weekend I generally ad 1-2kg to lifts, try and do that for the next week, then raise again). Just gonna up the weights every week and move to 5x5 soon. I wouldn't have even been able to use the 20kg bar if I had just started straight off on it So since I do 24kg now I'll move over to the bar soon) Keeping at the cardio upping the resistance too, legs are quite muscly from that and cycling. I'm still at a large calorie deficit so I don't feel lifting is as good an aim as it could be yet.

So yeah, I don't really know
                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-07-15, 10:49.

Comment

Yesterday crosstrainer 54 mins 710 calories level 14.

today weights + core:

shoulder press 4x15 10kg
                                                            lat pull down 4x15 level 11 ->12 60kg?
                                                            chest press 5x15 12kg -> 14kg
                                                            prone row 4x15 10kg ->12kg
                                                            prone fly 4x15 6kg
                                                            walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                            bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg -> 9kg -> 10kg
                                                            Tricep extensions 4x15 10kg -> 12kg

core:
                                                            60 second plank x2
                                                            ab tabs 2x 30s
                                                            leg raises 2x25
                                                            leg scissors 2x30s

Comment

Just totaling lifts for the few weeks, 4 sessions per week (excluding lat pull downs as they inflate it) just to see progression and because I'm a nerd:

week 1: 3960 x 4 = 15840kg
                                                              week 2: 6060 x 4 = 24240kg
                                                              week 3: 7080 x 4 = 28320kg
                                                              On week 4 now, projection: 9120 x 4: 36480kg

Comment

Took day off yesterday and stuffed myself. today I did crosstrainer 710 cals, level 14 54 mins

Comment

yesterday

shoulder press 4x15 10kg
                                                                  lat pull down 4x15 level 12 60kg?
                                                                  chest press 4x15 14kg
                                                                  prone row 4x15 12kg
                                                                  prone fly 4x15 6kg
                                                                  walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                                  bicep curls 21s 4x15 8kg 10kg
                                                                  Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg

core:
                                                                  60 second plank x2
                                                                  ab tabs 2x 30s
                                                                  leg raises 2x25
                                                                  leg scissors 2x30s

today 700 cals on xtrainer

Comment

Good work, you are smashing it on volume.
                                                                    I'm currently doing about 20,000kg a week.

Do you still ahve the pull up bar over the bathroom?

Comment

As the weights get heavier I expect the volume to go down to something like yours. Especially as i only have so much time to exercise so i should be working on mobility etc and I do not at all.

Oh yeah i have it up in the bathroom, great place. I do a few chinups usually when I'm passing, definitely can do more now, havent attempted any pullups or used the band in a good while though.

Comment

Today:

shoulder press 5x12 10kg -> 12kg -> since I went to 12kg i seem to be coming up onto my toes more which seems a problem so just did sets of 12.

lat pull down 4x15 level 12 60kg?
                                                                        chest press 4x15 14kg
                                                                        prone row 4x15 12kg
                                                                        prone fly 4x15 6kg
                                                                        walking lunges 4x15 x2
                                                                        bicep curls 21s 4x15 10kg
                                                                        Tricep extensions 4x15 12kg

core:
                                                                        60 second plank x2
                                                                        ab tabs 2x 30s
                                                                        leg raises 2x25
                                                                        leg scissors 2x30s

Comment

Stay off your toes for everything except calf raises (and don't even bother doing these).

Comment

Calf raises on a step are great for running. Certainly not for what I want.

Yeah i thought that was a proble, was trying to stay back, think my shoes having cushioning is also a problem, time to lift in cons

Comment

#98
                                                                              Think I hurt my levator scapulae doing overhead press yesterday so it may be a few days off as i can't seem to look left

Pretty sure it happened cos I had 24 kg over my head then looks left to see my form in the mirror, bad move.
                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-07-15, 13:08.

Comment

#99
                                                                                Neck not the best, nearly better, did 715 cals on the crosstrainer yesterday, 52 mins, mix of level 14/15

Comment

yesterday tried some weights (bout half a session from above) but neck was getting sore so moved to crosstainer for 300 cals

today level 15 on crosstrainer, 58 mins 10km, 800 cals

Comment

yesterday 700 cals level 15 on xtrainer

Comment

same today 715 cals

Comment

same today 715 cals, week in Amsterdam now, wont be great for my health.

Comment

back after holiday of drinking and eating, good times. Id say Im about 2 pounds up.

Hard going today. 700 cals in 48 mins.

Comment

705 cals today, problem with my hand so not doing weights for a while.

Comment

715 cals today, started on a steroid too...but its just for my hand

Comment

721 cals today back to doc tomorrow about hand injury

Comment

721 cals again today

Comment

You love that number

Comment

I will not be bound by rounded decimals!

That said did 800 cals today on the crosstrainer in 55 mins. level 16, bit of 17.

Comment

rest of the week, tues, wed and friday was 750, 726 and 641

Comment

722

Comment

753 today, feel like I'm turning intoa giant quad muscle but damn I love using that machine and reading on it.

Comment

701 today, gym must have been hotter today because I sweated about 5 times more, fucking hell dripping :/

Comment

703 today, tough week at it this week.

last 6 months is about 45000 cals of cardio or 13 pounds worth. Back to weights soon as neck feels good now.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-09-15, 13:51.

Comment

704 today.

Comment

730 today

started yoga, two sessions done so far.

Comment

730 today

started yoga, two sessions done so far.
                                                                                                                      Any yoga babes in the class?

My flexibility is pants, and my shoulder is flaring up again. Giving consideration to pilates but fairly sure that I'd be laughed out of the class here! Much easier in a nice big city to get away with that sorta shtuff.

Comment

Oh there is one all right! There always is.

I have begun looking up yoga for the elderly, I feel your inflexible pain.
                                                                                                                        We can do whatever we want in the big schmoke, it's so liberal.
                                                                                                                        Not many teachers of what I want here though, maybe 1 as far as I can see, jivamukti yoga.

Comment

740 today

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X