• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    In Ananda last night.

Still there.
    Still busy.
    Still churning out top class food.

Still a podium Indian in Dublin imo.
    Yeah I wrote a review of them on here a while back, it was absolutely amazing and they just had whipped the menu up for one night.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-05-19, 16:20.

Comment

Ananda is superb, but even still, slightly ashamed to say I once went there three times in six days...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        Visited Two Cooks in Sallins last night with Strewelpeter. Excellent food, can highly recommend. Worth a trip for it.
        There was a lovely restaurant in Naas once upon a time too, La Maison perhaps. Ever eaten there, how would it compare?

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
        It's a better burger, sure but it's still just something to eat before or after a rake of pints (at least where it's situated that'll be the draw).

I'd imagine the rent is pricey and given Crackbird closed just a few doors up not that long ago - at least in part due to rent pressure - Bunsen will need to sell a lot of burgers to make it work.

In saying that Thunder Road, TGI Friday, Bad Ass Cafe and Hard Rock are all within a tourist/stag stroll and all charge premium wonga for fairly ordinary fare so Bunsen could be a beacon in the fast food pea-souper that the Temple Bar/Dame Street area has become.
        Bunsen is the best you can get in burgers for me, puts FergBurger to shame, Wahlburger probably comes closest but not as good. It’s just to fresh and no nonsense.

Comment

Wife booked us into Forest and Marcy for the anniversary tonight. Walked in and was a bit sketchy that it was all high stools and we were seated at the counter. Food was great though, way above expectations. Major miss with the wine though. Saw a 2005 Bordeaux in their 'cabinet' section that looked great value (ie much less than the usual restaurant 3x markup on shop prices) and as we go out so rarely I said feck it we'll give it a go. We're subsequently presented with the 2015 which sells for half the price. I brought it to the waiter's attention and he's like 'oh I never noticed that on the menu, it's a mistake'. If I wasn't the meekest fucker in the world when it comes to confrontation I would have made something of it as they basically conned me out of €30 or so.
          Anyway, good food if your back can stick 2 hours on a stool.

Comment

Went for lunch in Forest Avenue a few weeks back, had the tasting menu with wines and it was absolutely top drawer. Great selection and variety of courses, should have taken better notes at that time but I’d certainly go back. It isn’t cheap but still felt like decent value.

Comment

Was bought a dine in the dark tasting menu with wine pairing in Barcelona for my birthday, will be going in a few weeks can't wait. Anybody done any before? Always wanted to try that.

They mentioned how much trouble people have to tell the difference between red and white wine, even rose. Looking forward to that!
              Without sight I'll be fecked for the food too.

I was using a friends sommellier training kit recently, just a box of vials of tonnes of vials of liquids that smell of a different food each. If you smell them without looking at the names you are there smelling and it is so familiar but you can't name what it is for most of them.
              Then when you are told all your memories come flooding to you and it was so obvious all along, very cool.
              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-06-19, 15:12.

Comment

M & L Szechuan Chinese
                13/14 Cathedral St, North City, Dublin City

Royal Ascot was the centre piece of the day or so we thought. Harder and harder to get a pub in Dublin to show the racing without restriction. Either they have pop music pervading the whole place reducing the racing to pictures only or they arent on the ball with the switch over from channel to channel when needs be. Take the Epsom Derby recently. Cassidys Camden St who pride themselves on the racing around Cheltenham yet 20 minutes to the off no racing instead sky sports news!. Are they for real!.

Anyway the day was spent in the trusty yet diminishing stronghold of Marlborough Street on the northside of the Liffey. Before long the racing was over and the stomach rumbling and I had a card up my slieve that ive been meaning to make a visit to for a long time M&L Szechual Chinese on the adjacent Cathedral Street. In nice and early and didnt see anyone seated yet I got a withering look from the counter woman when I asked about the availability for a table for 2. A waiter played broker and paved the way for a distant table and asked us to mind out step because of a crude intersection you need to be wary of. I presume its the remnants of a butress between address 13/14 which they didnt smooth over but instead just carpeted over like it shouldn't be a big thing. I would imagine there are a few under/over bets on how many fallers/sprained ankles there are there. At least out waiter was an unders man as he went to lenghts to tell us to mind the step.

We disported ourselves in the east wing as we tried to get to grips with the menu. The menu was immense and impressive. It was more like a novel than a menu. Delighted the young Chinese waiter that earlier interjected to take us from safety from the Chinese Matriarch was still with us for menu perusal advice. I asked him is this the menu or the real menu with a knowing wink as I think I heard tell they have an underground menu for those in the know. Dont think I needed to ask as the menu was so over whelming I was doing well with this and not reading chinese and when you've a few drinks on you you are even more at sea, yet keeping a lid on it on the outside. His answer to my real menu question was 'To a certain extent' which was a hell of an answer. He said he was working only 2 weeks there so he was tentative in his reply but what a reply. He looking at you in a way that says forvive my english yet all conversation he answered in classic english.

There was a 10-12 seat table beside us with nobody seated and soon enough food came that began to populate the table!. Myself and the brother remarked on how unusual this was and no sign of anyone yet. Pretty soon more food for the table yet still nobody at the table. Despite of the ups and downs of the afternoon racing we were soon under pressure with worry on who this food is for, where are they and I hope it doesn't go cold. Its not usual for me to see a table bedecked with food and no sign of anyone. We needn't have worried, ver soon a troop of Chinese old timers decended upon the feast and they didnt stand on ceremony. Within 5 minutes they had come and gone, eating like pirhanas in an impressive clearance you've ever seen. It was quite remarkable.

In the heal of the hunt we must have turned up when the staff were in the horrors that the food was ready for the large table cohort and communication was ongoing. We werent even there that long ourselves yet by the time we were leaving the place was heaving with punters.
                The prices seemed remarkably low but maybe it didnt include race. Word of warning its cash only no cards. The meal was thoroughly enjoyable bordering fantastic but I will be better much prepared next time.

Comment

Chinese guy in work has brought us there a few times rounders.

Fires out the orders without any menu and then you get the table coverage as described. Good auld food although you do get the odd bit of animal that we fussy gweilos would be adverse to.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Yamamori is a fantastic spot. Some great wines and beers.

Quite pricey to be sure, but truly decent food.
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Chinese guy in work has brought us there a few times rounders.

Fires out the orders without any menu and then you get the table coverage as described. Good auld food although you do get the odd bit of animal that we fussy gweilos would be adverse to.
                      The cheeky little bollix imo

Comment

Restaurant Name: Es Raco D'es Teix

Price Range: (from 1 to 5 €€€€€) - €€€€€

Review:

Myself and Mrs Lao Lao headed off for a few days after the wedding for some much needed R&R (they call it a mini moon nowadays which I'm sure will have a few people on here grimacing ) Anyway, when we do go away, we usually try to see if there is any Michelin stared places and if we can get a table so we were delighted to see there was a 1 star restaurant in Deia, about 25-30 minutres drive from where we were staying in Port De Soller and booked a table for 8:45 pm on the Thursday night.

The restaurant is housed in a lovely stone built house with a large terrace giving views of the mountains around Deia and is run by huband and wife team, Josef Sauerchell (head chef from Germany) and Leonor Payeras (Maitre'd from Deia)

We opted for the 6 course tasting menu to be accompanied with matching wines which was titled as 'The Journey from Germany to Mallorca' - There was another wine pairing option but we chose this one as neither German nor Spanish/Mallorcan wines would be high on our list of wines we drink so thought it would be a good introduction to them both.

We started off with a glass of cava each along with some bread, alioli and olives which was followed by a trio of hor d'oeuvres - a morsel of pate and toast, a small deep fried pumkin ball and a cold soup, each one delicious and tasted way better than I've just described them.

Our first course was Lobster and prawns cocktail with melon and cucumber served with a seperate hot lobster bisque. We were advised to drink the bisque first and then tuck into the rest. The bisque was creamy and delightful and was something that you would take great pleasure pouring over a fully cooked lobster. The cocktail, while sounding like it came firmly out of the 1980's was very tasty and they weren't shy with the lobster and prawns. This was all washed down by a Donnhoff Riesling 2016 which was very nice.

Our 2nd course was scallops and octopus with chanterelles. I thought that this was an odd mix when I read it first but it totally worked. There was a lovely sauce with it that just combined everything perfectly. The fish was cooked just right and while not a massive fan of mushrooms, I could have eaten a plate of them on their own in the sauce. This was washed down by Ekam Albarino 2018 which was one of the better Albarino's that i've had.

The 3rd course was Turbet with Lemon and this was fantastic. As it was a tasting menu, the portion size of the turbet wasn't huge but it was cooked to perfection and I could have eaten a full sized fillet of it and still come back for more. This was washed down by Vina Tondonia White Rioja 2005. I'm almost a little embarressed to say that until about two years ago, I didn't realise that you could get white Rioja as I always thought that there was only red Rioja but having tastied it two years ago, I was delighted to see it come to the table as it matched the meaty turbet really well.

Onto the 4th course, which was the main course, of lamb with an olive crust - The lamb was melt in your mouth stuff and again, while I wouldn't be a big fan of olives (mushrooms and olives are the only two things I'm not mad about food wise) I would have eaten a full plate of it, quite easily as the olive crust was in no way overpowering. This course was washed down by Finca Biniagual 2015 which is a blend of Shiraz, Cab Sav and Manto Negro, somewhat akin to a Bordeaz blend and very drinkable.

Our penultimate course was a chesse board and the options were almost overwhelming. We eventually opted for some manchego, brie, a cheese from menorca and a soft goats cheese. Nothing out of the ordinary and I can't for the life of me remember all their names but they were snaffled down with bread and crackers along with a Martin Codax Albarino 2015. Now, this albarino was very different from the first one and was much darker and sweeter, to the point of almost being a dessert wine, it was great with the cheeses.

Our final course was dessert, which was a chocolate foam and ganache with blueberries sorbet. This was devine. I have a bit of a sweeet tooth for chocolate deserts and this hit the mark, 100%. Had I not being in a restaurant, I would have picked up the bowl and licked it clean. The dessert was washed down by a Rota Merlot (missed the year), which was a new one on me. The merlot was served cold and was much sweeter than a merlot usually is but again, it matched well with the chocolate and the blueberries.

The meal was a very leisurely 3.5 hour affair which for me is perfect for a tasting menu but at the same time the staff were extremely pleasant and attentive. We did find it funny that despite it being clear from the very start, that we hadn't more than two words of Spanish between us, the maitre'd always came to us after each course and spoke to us in Spanish asking us (presumably) if we enjoyed the meal, if everything was ok, etc. Our puzzled looks followed by awkward smiles and nods generally got her to converse in English with us

Total including a 12.5% tip came to €491 but the spending didn't stop there. When we tried to book a taxi home, we discovered that there was only one taxi driver in Deia and he had gone to bed and wasn't answering his phone. One of the junior chefs offered to take us home but as it was an hour round trip out of his way, we had to throw him a few quid, he and we were happy with a fee of €40 and off we went.

We got back into the hotel just in time for a Roku G&T nightcap before the bar closed.

Comment

Anyone recommend a top restaurant for the missus birthday in a couple weeks. Chapter One on hols for the dates and Patrick Gilbauld booked. Did L'Ecrivain last year so dont wanna do it again.

Price not an issue once it's not totally outrageous lol

Comment

All the below worth a look IMO

Bastible
                            Uno Mas
                            One Pico
                            The Green House
                            Pearl Brasserie
                            Forest Avenue
                            Forest & Marcy

Comment

We were talking about having wines blindly on here recently, and telling the difference. So I did a blind tasting menu in Barcelona with paired wines this week, an amazing present from a wonderful girl I met a couple of months ago. I've always wanted to do one! I didn't know what to expect from the experience, I thought I'd be blindfolded but I wasn't. It was so much more than that.

We arrived to the swanky looking upstairs area to be greeted by a glass of Cava and an explanation of everything that would happen from the host. Being the only person there that did not speak Spanish (my partner in crime is Brazilian and they appear to get Spanish as a bit of a freebie, mildly kidding, she is great with languages but they have an easier time of it) he explained once to everybody and then stared directly at me, the gringo, to explain everything again while all and sundry stood waiting, hangry eyes boring into me. He seemed to give up at some point but she told me the rest.

The serving staff member came to greet us, she was blind, all the serving staff there are. It was to be an experience of what it was like for them. We were to forgo all things that could possibly emit light and were to stand in a particular order so that you could be matched sitting across a table with your dinner partner.

We lined up and started to go down a ramp underground, with no source of light whatsoever for the rest of the evening. To even navigate to dinner I had to put my hand on a girls shoulder, as we conga'd our way deeper.

It was an interesting experience even getting seated at that point, and hearing a full dining room of people that you can't see, being led by a blind woman that couldn't speak English, with no idea of the layout of the room was quite intriguing. I eventually found my seat, alongside a wall. I was quite happy to even touch anything around me after the void.

I could hear my partners voice from a mere few feet away but yet could see nothing, a voice with no source. I love it. It's quite funny how you act with each other at that point, unbridled of anybody seeing you. Reaching out for contact, touching faces and so on. You certainly feel a lot more free to do whatever you want. If you are into exhibitionism, this dinner is for you.

Over the next few hours we had an amazing time, each plate would come out with an assortment of "things" on it that you would gleefully stick your hands into, cutlery ignored. Initial confusion sets in as our plates seem different, only to quickly realise one of us will have to invert ours so that they are matching. Discussing what things are together is the most fun, to be hilariously wrong about some at the end! Especially as it is fine dining and they trick you, an aged tomato tastes of aubergine, a snap pea of a bamboo shoot, wtf is fennel anyway?

Glasses of wine are brought, instructions are relayed to me in Spanish and I hope for the best, my partner helping out a lot at this stage. Raise your hand, move your plate, a glass is coming! Lucky to have her or I wouldn't have a clue. Even setting the glass down becomes an endeavour. We settle for placing both glasses on one side of the table, leaving the other side open for contact.

Proprioception becomes apparent as you know exactly how your hands are shaped, where they are positioned, but nothing outward of yourself. A chair scrapes 30 feet away, a glass of wine falls to the floor next to us, that was destined for me. To the servers, this is all aspects of their life - you get an awareness of how hard it is for them, but mostly you get drunk.

For the wine colour taste test 3 glasses of wine are brought - one per two courses, we agree on the first. At the second, and I hoped this would happen, there was disagreement! I think one, she thinks another! We talk about why each of us thinks the way we do, she says she can nearly name the grape, she has a lot more experience in fine dining restaurants and with wine, I panic! Am I so sure of myself after all?! On the third wine we rosé again, agreeing. It makes me think that my second choice was wrong.

Once the dinner was complete we stood up and conga'd our way back out of the cavern. When I hit light my eyes exploded, and it took a little while to adjust. We were then shown pictures of what we ate which was very funny and finally all were gathered to guess about the wines. From the first wine reveal there were groans, already so many people had failed at the first hurdle, and these looked like people that drink wine for their living. The second one is the hardest we are told, it is chosen on purpose to confuse you. I am so smug when be brings the bottle up from behind the counter! A few hours of well earned jesting will ensue. On the third we get that one correct also, I'm not sure even one other person got them right and tbh, I was wavering with a lot of doubt. In general, over 90% of people get it wrong we are told. It's definitely more a paring and specific wine thing trying to trick you than anything. Headed off to our airbnb to play drunken Brazilian card games.

I ate a lot tasting menus in Barcelona, and other good meals - there was better food to be had but this was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. A full body sensory experience as they had told us from the outset.

Obligatory picture:

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-07-19, 14:19.

Comment

Great Trip Report.

Probably says something about me, but the first thing I thought of was what happens when you need to go to the toilet....
                                Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                  Reaching out for contact, touching faces and so on. You certainly feel a lot more free to do whatever you want. If you are into exhibitionism, this dinner is for you.
                                  Manuel in the corner putting the guts out of himself in his night vision goggles
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

THey probably have night vision cameras no? (I always presumed cinemas do too?, maybe Emmet knows.)

Comment

Sure look, I already knew it wouldn't stop me from becoming president

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        All the below worth a look IMO

Bastible
                                        Uno Mas
                                        One Pico
                                        The Green House
                                        Pearl Brasserie
                                        Forest Avenue
                                        Forest & Marcy
                                        Thanks for this. Some fantastic looking restaurants that we will definitely try out but she caught me browsing this evening and when I told her what I was up to she mentioned she had tickets booked for some play in the gaiety in September so I booked Chapter One for the same evening.

Thanks again for the post, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                          Great Trip Report.

Probably says something about me, but the first thing I thought of was what happens when you need to go to the toilet....
                                          A member of staff comes and brings you off somewhere, where I imagine you wreck the gaff. I should have went and tried the piss in the dark experience.

Comment

Myself and the GF are entertaining her uncle and aunt on Monday in Dublin. GF and family are Brazilian so they're looking to get to an "Irish" cuisine experience. I'm thinking good beef, lamb, steak and seafood options. The Chop House was suggested to me already.

Any recommendations that would match this criteria?

Comment

For an Irish feel to it, The Winding Stair springs to mind first as they very much promote the Irish angle. That said, the last time I was there (a few years ago), I thought the quality had dropped off but it may have improved since then, they seem to be generally busy.

For something very different, L Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter might be something to look at.

Comment

If you're driving, Johhny Foxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                  If you're driving, Johhny Foxes?
                                                  he said good food

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    he said good food
                                                    No idea...think the restaurant is mostly seafood. Ticks the touristy box though.

Comment

Was in The Corkscrew at the weekend, exchanging some Champagne (that we had bought for the wedding and not used) for wine.

I've said before that the lads in there are second to none. If you are ever about town and want wine or even if you aren't around town, you should head in anyway.

Anyway, I was having a good browse as I wasn't sure what I wanted when I noticed this

SPOILER

It's one of the wines we had the Michelin restaurant in Mallorca, same vintage and all. Was surprised it was only €45 bottle so picked up a bottle.

They've also a good selection of Chateau Musar vintages in there at the minute.

Comment

that butter is deranged but they have been doing it ever since they opened....why, I have no idea.
                                                        Butter cliffs?
                                                        "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                        "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                          Butter cliffs?
                                                          Cabbage butter Frank.

You couldn't make it up.

Comment

Prado in Clontarf is well worth a diversion (definitely better than the hyped-up Pigeon House next door), some very nifty Spanish cooking going on and the front of house staff are all positively evangelical.

Comment

Didn't even know Moloughneys was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                Didn't even know Moloughneys was gone.
                                                                Yeah it got a bad name after Deadparrot and family took a visit and never recovered unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                  Yeah it got a bad name after Deadparrot and family took a visit and never recovered unfortunately.
                                                                  Ha!
                                                                  Sadly never made it there, we ended up in the castle which as reviewed at the time was pretty shit.
                                                                  Maybe losing a 10 top cover did them in
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Looking for suggestions for a restaurant in Dublin please for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday

Over the last few years, we've been to the following for birthday/anniversary so am thinking of trying somewhere new/different - I had looked at Uno Mass and Etto but both are booked out for the date / time I want

Dax
                                                                    Bastible
                                                                    Clanbrasil House
                                                                    One Pico
                                                                    Glovers Alley
                                                                    The Greenhouse
                                                                    Heron & Grey
                                                                    Chapter One
                                                                    Pearl Brasserie
                                                                    L'Ecrivian
                                                                    Forest & Marcy
                                                                    Forest Green

Any suggestions?

Comment

Looking for suggestions for a restaurant in Dublin please for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday

Over the last few years, we've been to the following for birthday/anniversary so am thinking of trying somewhere new/different - I had looked at Uno Mass and Etto but both are booked out for the date / time I want

Dax
                                                                      Bastible
                                                                      Clanbrasil House
                                                                      One Pico
                                                                      Glovers Alley
                                                                      The Greenhouse
                                                                      Heron & Grey
                                                                      Chapter One
                                                                      Pearl Brasserie
                                                                      L'Ecrivian
                                                                      Forest & Marcy
                                                                      Forest Green

Any suggestions?
                                                                      What about Host? Ate there recently and really enjoyed, different atmosphere than a lot of that list though so may not be quite what you are looking for.
                                                                      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Manifesto in Rathmines is a hidden gem.

Comment

Shame Etto and Uno Mas are booked.
                                                                          +1 for Host but think you live in Ranelagh.
                                                                          Delahunt?
                                                                          Or their new place, Franks?
                                                                          Pickle?
                                                                          Michael's or Little Mike's in Mount Merrion? amazing seafood.

Comment

Cheers lads.

Yeah, living in Ranelagh and was only in host a few months ago. Not that it's not worth a return visit straight away but thinking of something new.

Manifesto looks like a right little gem, that has definitely gone on the list.

I like the look of Frank's and the reviews for the food that I've seen are all good but the only off putting thing about it is that you can't book and you can't rock up, leave your name on a waiting list, grab a drink and get a call when the table is free as they don't have a phone apparently!

Had a complete brain fart and forgot all about Delahunt and haven't eaten there yet (only had drinks upstairs) so have booked there.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Comment

Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo
                                                                                It's grand, we're married now, I no longer need to impress her

Comment

Some news on Manifesto

SPOILER

Comment

Took the train up to Belfast on Saturday to try out Ox restaurant.

Went with the 6 course tasing menu lunch with wines, they have two options and we went for the standard over the “prestige” as the waiter told us the standard was better matched, the prestige was brought in for the open to have some recognizability.

Opened with a customary glass of champagne, and lovely fresh sour dough bread served warm. First course was best described as a cheese profiterole, delicious. A tomato salad created by making a gelatins-like substance from tomato consommé was a fresh follow up. Next was scallops served in lobster bisque, wasn’t bad although the scallop was a little tough. Monkfish in a pea veloute followed and was tasty, if unremarkable. It was rounded off with a creme anglais/ ice cream mix which shouldn’t have been as nice as it was, very tasty. Petit fours etc.

Some interesting wines came from Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic.

Overall I’d say it’s nice for lunch, we certainly envied the A La Carte diners as the lamb in particular looked amazing. 7/10, not worth a trip on its own but pretty pleasant day out if you’re there anyway.

Comment

Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.

Comment

I'm a huge Pickle fan but feels like I must finally try out Ananda, goddammit.

Comment

By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                            Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.
                                                                                            135 for 2 for a good indian?

i see Dublin hasn't changed!

Comment

By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...

You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.

Comment

You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.
                                                                                                I usually think 'Culture Night, time to give auld Lao a kick up the hole'.

Comment

Ananda and Pickle are both excellent but they are not pitching at the same market. Ananda is Indian Cuisine done exceptionally very well for the western palate. Pickle is more "traditional" Indian Cuisine for the western palate. Both excellent in their own right but comparing them is a little unfair on both.
                                                                                                  Where would put Kinara in all of this? I personally think it beats both, having dined in Pickle a few back purely on the strength of their excellent Biryani at the ToD, and enjoyed it on the night too, but prefer Kinara Ranelagh. I would like to go back to pickle to try the goat though as I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Also ate at Liath a few weeks ago, very high skilled cooking and generous with the wine, the only criticisms I’d have would be that there was no bread and no petit fours so I was actually quite hungry after ten rounds, as the portions are literally one spoon in size.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                    Where would put Kinara in all of this? I personally think it beats both, having dined in Pickle a few back purely on the strength of their excellent Biryani at the ToD, and enjoyed it on the night too, but prefer Kinara Ranelagh. I would like to go back to pickle to try the goat though as I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Also ate at Liath a few weeks ago, very high skilled cooking and generous with the wine, the only criticisms I’d have would be that there was no bread and no petit fours so I was actually quite hungry after ten rounds, as the portions are literally one spoon in size.
                                                                                                    Kinara (the original one) is my local Indian. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt but I can't help feeling it has slipped a few notches.

Comment

Kinara (the original one) is my local Indian. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt but I can't help feeling it has slipped a few notches.
                                                                                                      Only ate there once but was very impressed - that's a few years ago now! Went to what must be another local of yours, Prado, on Sunday for lunch; seemed like a fairly decent neighborhood restaurant.

Comment

I have heard that from a few people.

We normally eat in Kajjal in Malahide (same owners) and I can’t remember having a bad meal there
                                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ananda is hard to beat IMO. Would agree that Pickle is not directly comparable but still excellent. Chakra in Greystones gets an honorable mention too, consistently very good.

Comment

Only ate there once but was very impressed - that's a few years ago now! Went to what must be another local of yours, Prado, on Sunday for lunch; seemed like a fairly decent neighborhood restaurant.
                                                                                                            What are you doing over on De Nortsoide?! Seem to remember you refuse to believe in it, from both a geographical and metaphysical perspective.

Prado is well above your average suburban joint. It deserves to do well.

Comment

What are you doing over on De Nortsoide?! Seem to remember you refuse to believe in it, from both a geographical and metaphysical perspective.

Prado is well above your average suburban joint. It deserves to do well.
                                                                                                              LOL, in-laws live in Clontarf (two minutes walk from The Yacht) so we're over there every few weeks these days, similar story with Portmarnock. Like Clontarf but a shiver runs down my back every time I drive over the Samuel Beckett bridge northbound... Once we're through Fairview I begin to feel more at ease

Any idea how the renovated Baths are doing? We ate there once, probably a year ago now, and could really see how much money was put into it, looked great!

Comment

LOL, in-laws live in Clontarf (two minutes walk from The Yacht) so we're over there every few weeks these days, similar story with Portmarnock. Like Clontarf but a shiver runs down my back every time I drive over the Samuel Beckett bridge northbound... Once we're through Fairview I begin to feel more at ease

Any idea how the renovated Baths are doing? We ate there once, probably a year ago now, and could really see how much money was put into it, looked great!
                                                                                                                Food is muck but seems to pack in the punters.

Comment

I was here again last night. Still fantastic. The chef featured on an RTE show on Tuesday evening, Beyond The Menu, which you will find on RTE Player if interested.
                                                                                                                  I was very impressed by her. Seems to have come from a normal non foodie background but is pure driven as to what she wants to achieve in life, think it's only a matter of time before she owns her own place.

Originally posted by elbows View Post

We normally eat in Kajjal in Malahide (same owners) and I can’t remember having a bad meal there
                                                                                                                  I've never had anything but an exceptional meal in Kajjal, I'd easily put it ahead of the Clontarf and Ranelagh offerings.

Need to get out to Ananda, it's been on the list for way to long.

Comment

Ananda still the best Indian meal I've had. Big food wankery review I put in here if I recall.

Comment

I was in Kinara Clontarf last week and thought was nothing special; the courses came way too fast, starters and mains done well within an hour

+1 on Prado good/Baths bad

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Kajjal is great, had a particularly nice lunch there recently.

I’d agree, I think the Ranelagh one is much better haven eaten in both relatively recently.

Comment

Out for dinner twice this weekend. Don't have time for a major review but details below

Friday night we were in Delahunt for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday after having a few drinks upstairs in the Sitting Room. Food was good but without being something you would get carried away with or have you gushing about.

There was a couple of very minor issues such as a few of the grilled courgettes we got as a side were a bit raw plus the whole salted peanuts in the chocolate mouse and peanut sauce dessert A) Looked they were straight of a KP packet and B) Were just too salty for the dish. The contrast in texture was good but just too salty for a dessert.

That said, beef tartare & risotto for starters, chicken & lamb for main and both desserts (peanuts aside) were all cooked and presented well - 2nd dessert was a strawberry and almond tart with strawberry ice cream.

Overall, it's a fairly decent neighbourhood restaurant, staff are friendly, pleasant and attentive and the setting is nice, very warm & cosy feel to the place. As it's smack bang in the city centre, the prices are that bit higher than a neighbourhood restaurant. 2x3 course meals, (€45 each) 2 sides, (€5 each) a bottle of wine, (€65) and one coffee, (€2.5) was topped up with tip to €195

Saturday was meant to be just drinks but a late change of plans saw us heading out for dinner with one of Mrs Mrs Lao's friend and her fella. Dinner was redonk early to accomadate the drinks later but the blow was softened as we managed to get a table in Clanbrassil House for 5.15pm

Our two companions had never eaten there before so we opted to go for the family menu at €50 a head. (There was an option to add in Cote De Boeuf for an additional €20 a head but as two people at the table weren't big steak eaters, we stuck to the regular option)

The sheer volume of food made this very good value but when you consider the quality of the food, it was exceptional value.

We started off with some salted smoked almonds, (which is the right & only time to serve salted nuts) Iberico ham croquettes and grilled sourdough and hot smkoed trout. The croquettes were small balls and there was only one each, which was my only gripe, as I could have eaten about a doxen of them.

From there, we moved onto Killary Fjord Mussels and chicken Liver Parfait with brioche.

Then it was onto the mains - pork with a velvety creamy mash, flakey cod and sides of grilled broccoli, hash brown chips (absolutely devine) and a whole char-grilled cauliflower.

To top it off, there was a trio of dessets, choclate mouse & mint ice cream, Muscavado panna cotta with blueberries and honey and a raspberry sorbet.

There was more than enough food (something I always worry about with a "sample lots by sharing" type menu option) and everybody was extremely happy.

The food really was top absolute top quality.

4 covers at €50 a pop, 2 fizzy cocktail yokes for the ladies (€10 a pop) and two bottles of vino (Argentinian Malbec) at €58 each plus unlimited still/sparkling water at €4 total came in at €340 and was topped up to €390 with tip.

This ironically brought the per head cost to the exact same price as in Delahunt the night before and while there was nothing much wrong with Delahunt, the quality of the food in Clanbrassil made it much, much, much better value.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X