What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Suspense Novelist’s Trail of Deceptions

Dan Mallory, who writes under the name A. J. Finn, went to No. 1 with his début thriller, “The Woman in the Window.” His life contains even stranger twists. By Ian Lester.

Fascinating.

Comment

So I started listening to Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules For Life. I know practically nothing about this guy. I have seen his interview with your wan on Channel 4 and thought he was great on it. Bar seeing Strewel occasionally take swipes at him on BBV that's more or less it. So was interested to see what all the interest/controversy was about.

Early stages were decent advice, a lot of common sense but some a bit more involved. I liked his sections on parenting for the most part. I think he has an important message that essentially amounts to 'life can be difficult, so toughen up', that echoes Theodore Dalrymple a bit. Ach, I'm trying my best to find stuff to be positive about but even the above has serious problems around it I can't be arsed going into. But ok, the first say 30-35% of it was tolerable and actually good in some ways.

The last 20% has been a bizarre and deranged treatise on how great Christianity is. At best his wild claims about how it inspired/engendered/created equality between rich/poor, men/women, king/peasant is delusional beyond belief.

He bleats at length about the major issues Christianity has in the fact that 'faith alone' is the route to salvation and 'good works' don't matter. Like, he starts a long section of rambling with this premise. He doesn't mention that this is a proposition that didn't exist full stop for over 75% of the time Christianity has been a thing and is still agreed upon by less than 40% of Christians. Just doesn't bother to acknowledge this potentially salient fact. That just annoyed me after listening to him invent stuff for a couple of hours.

In the even more recent parts he starts talking about man's need for meaning. He does this in a fairly hamfisted way and again threatens to bludgeon the listener to death with his notions that Christianity is where you should be looking without saying outright it's the only place. There's some good advice in there somewhere but it's almost impossible to really notice in the Audible version as his narration begins to take on this sort of Tommy Wiseau style 'emotion' where his voice begins to crack and he gulps to hold back the flood. The whole thing is absolutely ghastly and really very strange. I would suggest anyone interested in that line of thinking pick up the thoughtful and moving Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl and avoid this Pound Shop attempt by Peterson.

I'm hoping that as I enter the last 30% he will get a grip of himself and just do the auld bits of advice again, as I liked bits of the start of it. If it continues on the way it's been the last while then he must be an incredibly insufferable twat and I would have been much better off taking Denny's advice by just reading the Quora post that sparked the whole thing and leaving it at that.

I rather suspect this is what will happen as while he hasn't directly done it yet he has sort of heavily foreshadowed by various throwaway lines that he's planning on coming out with some 'free healthcare is the first step on the path to the Khmer Rouge' level shit before he's finished.

Another one to add to my 'I'll finish it if it kills me' pile.

EDIT: to add that he has a nice turn of phrase occasionally.
      Last edited by Keane; 07-02-19, 20:02.

Comment

I'm also reading Booker Prize winner 'The Milkman' by Anna Burns at the moment and also Algorithms To Live By which I'm sure was recommended here.

I'm enjoying the Milkman about half way through but it is flirting around the edges of dragging at the moment. I suspect there is a crisis approaching that might kickstart it again.

Only 25% through Algorithms To Live By but loving it so far so thanks to those who recommended it (on the phone so can't be arsed checking till tomorrow!)

Comment

I think it was SP(could be wrong) who shared the Peterson video about his favourite female author

Now its obviously completely different but it made me think that if I was asked the same question i couldnt give a decent answer so I've been looking out to find some good female authors.

I read one last year Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neill, it was fine, probably not one to recommend if I'm honest.
          Susan Sontag has been mentioned a few times in books I've read as an excellent essayist.
          I listened to two podcasts, one with Mesha Gessen who's been a big critic of Putin, she was excellent I thought and Rebecca Traister, she was very good too so I've started her most recent book Good & Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger.

It's probably not something I've given much thought to but I definitely thought that Traister made some excellent points around MeToo movement that I didn't give much thought too.

Comment

Visited the Seamus Heaney Listen Now Again exhibition in Bank of Ireland Cultural and Heritage Centre College Green at lunchtime.

Well worth a visit, got around most of it in about 55 mins and will finish it off tomorrow.

As always his writing left me feeling quite emotional - the murder of Bellaghy GAA man Sean Brown (whose son Sean was in my year at school), the death of his four year-old brother, his relationship with his father etc...

It has some beautiful rare editions on display if such things tickle you as they do me.

Comment

This deranged weirdo Peterson is now on to arguing that the invention of feminine hygiene products disproves the existence of the patriarchy. I have no real opinion on the patriarchy but if a dog made this argument you'd put it down.

He is also after another bout of pretending to cry during his narration. I genuinely think he might be mentally ill.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Algorithms is a brilliant book. The title suggests a slightly self-help nonsense book, but then you get into it and its glorious maths and serious computer science all delivered in a great way. Almost like a Freakonomics for Computer Science. There's one or two chapters towards the end that are particularly excellent.
                    I'm actually quite enjoying the self-help aspect of it. It's interesting to compare the CS methodologies to the naturally arising algorithms of humans and to learn how they can be tweaked to our benefit.

I've actually noticed over the last few weeks that despite a slightly sneery cynicism I quite enjoy self-help books. Even ones that I know are undeniably cringy I still find myself taking something from and being motivated by. I'm planning to keep one on the go indefinitely to see if the effect keeps up because the last two months or so I've managed to make some small changes that have been very positive with a lot of it based on little ideas from these books.
                    Last edited by Keane; 22-02-19, 18:58.

Comment

Comment

Going through a Zeppelin phase right now. Reading 'Classic Rock Special Edition - Led Zeppelin (2017)'. Brilliant stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                          Going through a Zeppelin phase right now. Reading 'Classic Rock Special Edition - Led Zeppelin (2017)'. Brilliant stuff
                          Been buying the (remastered) Zep catalogue on vinyl recently (I, II and III now acquired) and been meaning to read Hammer of the Gods which is, i presume, as good as its reputation ?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                            Been buying the (remastered) Zep catalogue on vinyl recently (I, II and III now acquired) and been meaning to read Hammer of the Gods which is, i presume, as good as its reputation ?
                            Reading Hammer myself & it's excellent so far. The Classic Rock Special Ed is more pictures & easy reading but it's also excellent.

Next up is an audio version of When Giants Walked the Earth and then Led Zeppelin (2018 Expanded Edition) by Martin Popoff..... like I said going through a Zep 'phase' just now

Jimmy Page did an amazing job with the remastered LP's My personal fav being 'Untitled' / Zeppelin IV
                            Last edited by TM2204; 13-02-19, 00:18.

Comment

Nice one. Yeah IV is next on my list then I'll probably leave it at that for a while.

Been waiting to find them around the e20 mark so generally picking them up in sales. They do indeed sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                Nice one. Yeah IV is next on my list then I'll probably leave it at that for a while.

Been waiting to find them around the e20 mark so generally picking them up in sales. They do indeed sound great.
                                Look out for Celebration Day the 2007 one-off reunion concert on Blu-ray with Bonzo's son Jason on drums Fantastic... Apologies for taking this thread OT.
                                Last edited by TM2204; 14-02-19, 12:00.

Comment

The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin is a great read, I’m sure everyone’s heard of it but still a great page turner. Really makes you want to jack it all in and head out on the sea too. Trondur Pattursson makes even the hardiest cunt you know sound like an utter wimp. Loads of good history in it too 5/5

Comment

Listening to Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine about the us military funded creation of the internet and how the surveillance was baked in from the start.
                                    Hitting the google chapter now, looking forward to the ammo for when lads in the bbv are creating themselves over the latest non issue google have “solved”

Think I’ll cancel audible for good when I’m done, I just don’t absorb as much, waste of time for novels I’ve found but easy to drift off even with simple enough non fiction

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                      The Brendan Voyage by Tim Severin is a great read, I’m sure everyone’s heard of it but still a great page turner. Really makes you want to jack it all in and head out on the sea too. Trondur Pattursson makes even the hardiest cunt you know sound like an utter wimp. Loads of good history in it too 5/5
                                      That's actually right up my street, thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Reminder about the Goodreads Group for anyone who might like to join also.

Comment

Finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman. It was ok, good enough, probably a 6/7 out of 10. Main problem was not caring about the characters too much but some bits were very good. Plus having read like 30 Pratchett books - it is the worst one.

Still in the middle of listening to Sherlock Holmes, didn't realise there was so much of the bastards so i come and go from it.

Starting Espedair Street by Iain Banks later, didn't realise he had non scifi books at all until now (he writes those under Iain M. Banks).

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Only a bit through Steven Pinker Enlightenment Now, but it grabs your attention within the first 20 pages. It's going to be amazing. I mention this just in case anyone else was similarly put off by it being rather long.

Big fan of the current fiction read. Turtles all the way down. Bit unconventional of a read as it skirts into feelings and stuff, but very very nice. Has a vague sense of an all-time classic American novel about it.
                                                  Enlightenment Now is excellent, better than Factfulness imo and I think you're reading them in the correct order. The former seems like a more in-depth nuanced version of the latter that credits the English Enlightenment as the inflection point of rationality.

Imo it's not a great book on audible due to the amount of accompanying graphs

Comment

Comment

Atomic Habits is excellent

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                        Atomic Habits is excellent
                                                        Almost finished and couldn't agree more, it blows Duhigg's Power of Habit out of the water.

Comment

Read another couple Sherlock Holmes books, really good. Finished Espedair Street, great writing and character creation, just the subject matter wasn't for me. Liked the story overall, just not gripping me to get there.

However, I have just started "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and this book is the opposite, completely gripping, love it so far. The audio version is fantastic. It's about a murder that takes place at an isolated British mansion wedding, with a twist. The day is replayed 7 times, each day you are reliving the events from the point of view of a different person (kindof ), can you solve who did it?
                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-03-19, 10:09.

Comment

The uninhabitable earth
                                                            Sobering read , not complete doom and gloom but terrifying enough all the same
                                                            For adults only, if you prefer feel good mind candy like Pinker you might not be able for it

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...abitable-earth
                                                              The uninhabitable earth
                                                              Sobering read , not complete doom and gloom but terrifying enough all the same
                                                              For adults only, if you prefer feel good mind candy like Pinker you might not be able for it
                                                              I didnt spot this i shoukd have confined the chat to here to avoid a debate I'm sure nobody wants to read.

However you'd probably enjoy George Monbiot Out of the Wreckage and How did we get into this mess.

Both on my list but I haven't got around to them yet. Still trying to be in a happy bubble and all.

Obviously if you want some non-Pinker balance you could check out Matt Ridleys Rational Optimist and obviously Roslings Factfulness

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                I didnt spot this i shoukd have confined the chat to here to avoid a debate I'm sure nobody wants to read.

However you'd probably enjoy George Monbiot Out of the Wreckage and How did we get into this mess.

Both on my list but I haven't got around to them yet. Still trying to be in a happy bubble and all.

Obviously if you want some non-Pinker balance you could check out Matt Ridleys Rational Optimist and obviously Roslings Factfulness
                                                                Will add the last 2 to my list for balance. Pinker can go to hell though!

Comment

Comment

First book of this is great.

Got the Bannelac one you posted on Goodreads. My colleague in work was raving about Bannelac. She visits all the scenes of his novels. Which might be a weird activity, but she is weird (in a good way). I see the first one is set in the beautiful Pont-Aven.
                                                                    Glad you enjoyed it. I think they get better after the first one, I was sorry to reach the end of the series. Lovely part of France too.

Bannelac it turns out is a pen name for a German guy. That I think and the breton setting probably help explain the odd tone of the book. It was a well constructed mystery but I didn't find myself warming to the characters. I was reading it between things though so that might be a factor. Be interested to hear how you find it.

Comment

In light of a IPB poster releasing a book recently, I'm sure it's worth adding to the reading list, not sure if it's on Goodreads but Amazon link

SPOILER

Comment

I am Pilgrim

A recommendation from Shraaaap last year and a barmstormer of a read. Thrillers done great. Nothing stand out, just that lovely comfort of a classic pageturner done well.
                                                                        Really entertained by this - great recommendation.

Also just finished How not to be wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking which I also really enjoyed - hat tip to Denny (I think?) for that one. A really good and well-written treatment of what can be a difficult topic.

Comment

Comment

Ah, my colleague is German, so she might have unduly liked it as a result. Will report back.
                                                                            I didn't see you comment in podcast thread so thought you'd miss this: https://samharris.org/podcasts/151-will-destroy-future/

I suspect it's one you would like to listen to

Comment

...

Comment

Didn't know we had a podcast thread!

Read Homo Deus this week due to having a bit of free time. It's the follow up to Harari's Sapiens.

Found it incredibly deep and the ideas convincing. That guy has the most fascinating thoughts.
                                                                                Sam Harris speaks with Yuval Noah Harari about his new book "21 Lessons for the 21st Century."

Comment

...

Comment

You seem to be suggesting that Sam Harris knows stuff! Would love to hear Harari speak, that guy just gets stuff on an unbelievably deep level.
                                                                                    Just a coincidence you mentioned Harari really but i do quite enjoy his stuff to be fair so some bias there I'm sure.
                                                                                    He gets great guests so irrespective if you like him or loathe him personally, he's worth a listen.

There's been some cross over of guests with other podcasts like Joe Rogan as an example but it's a better conversation overall imo.

Krauss, DeGrasse Tyson, Weinstein all better with him imo plus he gets the likes of Bostrom, Gessan, Kahneman, Deutsch and Dennett.

Some of his politics mainly around Israel-Palestine and his approach to addressing religion is not something I'd agree with but I don't think they pop up remotely often enough to impede the conversations.
                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 23-03-19, 05:47.

Comment

...

Comment

Just finished Barbarian Days by William Finnegan. It takes me ages to read a book these day and this was no different but it was absolutely my favorite read in a long time.

It is basically a memoir of a guys life in surfing, and you probably will enjoy it more if you like to surf and the water and what not, but it is so beautifully written and passionate I think it would be hard for anyone not to really enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                          Read another couple Sherlock Holmes books, really good. Finished Espedair Street, great writing and character creation, just the subject matter wasn't for me. Liked the story overall, just not gripping me to get there.

However, I have just started "The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" and this book is the opposite, completely gripping, love it so far. The audio version is fantastic. It's about a murder that takes place at an isolated British mansion wedding, with a twist. The day is replayed 7 times, each day you are reliving the events from the point of view of a different person (kindof ), can you solve who did it?
                                                                                          This book was amazing, my favourite I've "read" in a long time. Audiobook was an excellent choice for it. Agatha Christie meets Groundhog Day meets Quantum Leap.
                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-03-19, 12:12.

Comment

...

Comment

Hmm, doesn't do that for me. Crappy old chrome!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I've followed PSVs thoughts on Audible, I've echoed similar in the past, I handed back a number of books and exchanged them for what I assume are easier to listen to non-fiction.
                                                                                                    Example I got Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy but its 40 hours and I know I can't engage with a book such as that for that long while driving. Blanket rule for me is an audiobook must be less than 10hours ie less 1 week of commuting.

Some I've read recently for anyone interested

I put down Marx & Marxism as I felt it began to dive quite deeply in Marx's ideology and I felt I didn't know quite enough. I read the Communist Manifesto in between which helped but a better understanding of someone like Hegel & Marx's other writings would be helpful. I'll definitely return though.

Little history of Philosophy by Nigel Warburton is a chronological account of western philosophy, everything from Socrates to Singer and it stirred some interest in various philosophers. It's interesting to read the conflicting thoughts and idiosyncrasies of various philosophers, Stuart Mill was a child prodigy who's utilitarian ideology was built upon the foundations of his teacher Jeremy Bentham. Overall a great introduction to a variety of minds.

I'm just finished reading The Prince by Machavelli, it's excellent and lays the foundation for much of political science. The term associated with him has negative connotations and rightly so as his thoughts are quite devious but he basically wrote the foundations of the political playbook in <100 pages. It's well worth a read.

Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday was fine, concept is good but I didn't get much from it to be honest. Not bad but would give it a miss.

Perhaps not of interest to most but Mindfulness in Plain English is an excellent book for those who might be interested in pursuing something like that. It's a very easy read but not worth it unless it's a topic that interest you.

I'm about to finish Lost Connections by Johann Hari. Basically a book on causes of depression especially those which extend into the social & environmental. Definitely some interesting thoughts, though nothing particularly profound but interesting collated together with some research to back up the anecdotal.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 11-04-19, 22:05.

Comment

After re-reading the first two Hyperion books (just as good 2nd time around I feel, though the first is far better than the second), I've started into the Culture series for a 2nd time. Read Consider Phlebas and Player of Games already, 1/3 through the Use of Weapons. Really loved Player of Games and am already excited about the future novels as I've forgotten almost all plot lines (apart from the amazing manufactured hell one).

I'm still working through Richard Branson's 2nd autobiography, but it isn't anywhere as gripping as his original one AND as it is a hard copy, it is much harder to find the time to read while messing about putting an almost toddler to bed each night - reading e-books much more convenient at present. Real pity as I keep on buying hard copy books and have some amazing ones lined up, who knows when I'll get the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                        After re-reading the first two Hyperion books (just as good 2nd time around I feel, though the first is far better than the second), I've started into the Culture series for a 2nd time. Read Consider Phlebas and Player of Games already, 1/3 through the Use of Weapons. Really loved Player of Games and am already excited about the future novels as I've forgotten almost all plot lines (apart from the amazing manufactured hell one).

I'm still working through Richard Branson's 2nd autobiography, but it isn't anywhere as gripping as his original one AND as it is a hard copy, it is much harder to find the time to read while messing about putting an almost toddler to bed each night - reading e-books much more convenient at present. Real pity as I keep on buying hard copy books and have some amazing ones lined up, who knows when I'll get the time.
                                                                                                        Not following up with the 2 endymion ones? they're brilliant on a reread also.such a lovely story

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          Not following up with the 2 endymion ones? they're brilliant on a reread also.such a lovely story
                                                                                                          Definitely will, they are already loaded onto my tablet (use Aldiko book reader app) but just wanted a break after the Hyperion ones as I found the second one fairly intense.

Comment

...

Comment

Was fairly sure Keane had recommended Born to Run on here, but must have been somewhere else.

On the 24th well-chosen book so far this year and it's so far above everything else. What a story. I'd nearly go so far as to suggest that you have to read this book.
                                                                                                              Isn't it magic? I'm well overdue a long update here as I hadn't mentioned it, but I just wrote a one liner about it on Goodreads when I finished it.

I just stumbled upon it by chance as it was available on audiobook from the library. I was captivated from start to finish.

Incidentally, for those of us in Ireland at least, the standard of service provided by libraries now - including (but far from limited to) audiobooks straight to the phone - is astounding. If you aren't signed up or haven't called in lately it's well worth your while.

Comment

I didn't mention Prisoners of Geography that I thought was excellent. Don't know how I forgot to mention it tbh.
                                                                                                                It may not be as interesting to those well versed in international politics, war and the history of colonialism but lots of interesting insights:
                                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                                Arbitrary boundaries of Africa which when now viewed seem oddly straight.

The Chinese interest in Tibet/ and the political significance it represents.

Russia's lack of access to warm water ports.

The melting of the Arctic and the impact that international laws determination of where boundaries exist from a country's continental shelf.

On a side note, a Vietnamese friend I work with mentioned that he felt there was a political bias at play that I didn't quite pick up on.
                                                                                                                Retrospectively I get it but interesting if anyone else who reads it picks it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                  I didn't mention Prisoners of Geography that I thought was excellent. Don't know how I forgot to mention it tbh.
                                                                                                                  It may not be as interesting to those well versed in international politics, war and the history of colonialism but lots of interesting insights:
                                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                                  Arbitrary boundaries of Africa which when now viewed seem oddly straight.

The Chinese interest in Tibet/ and the political significance it represents.

Russia's lack of access to warm water ports.

The melting of the Arctic and the impact that international laws determination of where boundaries exist from a country's continental shelf.

On a side note, a Vietnamese friend I work with mentioned that he felt there was a political bias at play that I didn't quite pick up on.
                                                                                                                  Retrospectively I get it but interesting if anyone else who reads it picks it up.
                                                                                                                  I presume there are a lot of maps and diagrams in that? I unthinkingly bought it on Audible but have been avoiding it in order to read it instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                    I presume there are a lot of maps and diagrams in that? I unthinkingly bought it on Audible but have been avoiding it in order to read it instead.
                                                                                                                    No, you would expect that but it just shows one map at the start of the each section which isn't very detailed.

To be honest, one criticism I would have of the book is that it should be visualised a tad more throughout the chapter.

You could take a look at the accompanying PDF and see the maps. IMO you'd lose very little of the book without the visuals.

Comment

I read it last year, really enjoyed it. Some things I had never thought about. I actually listened to it and needed no maps tbh.

Comment

I know Keane read "Your money or your life", has anyone else? Has anyone followed through with the admin?

I like the general idea of it, and I find that few people are conscious of their spending and most would gain a lot from reading it. I'd a friend who went through some major life changes, and what I found fascinating was that no matter what his income was he'd go through it in a week, with pretty much the same level of happiness. I think very few people really think about the utility of money, we're really not built to think that way.

I think the endgame in the book is a little idealistic, particularly in the current investing environment, there's no way you can live off bonds these days. I'd worry too if large swathes of people followed the advice, highly productive people drive the world forward, we don't want them checking out decades ahead of their time, at least wait until we've figured out fusion.

Comment

Reading Leonard Cohen The Flame . Book of poems. Good one on Kayne West.

KANYE WEST IS NOT PICASSO

Kanye West is not Picasso
                                                                                                                          I am Picasso
                                                                                                                          Kanye West is not Edison
                                                                                                                          I am Edison
                                                                                                                          I am Tesla
                                                                                                                          Jay-Z is not the Dylan of anything
                                                                                                                          I am the Dylan of anything
                                                                                                                          I am the Kanye West of Kanye West
                                                                                                                          The Kanye West
                                                                                                                          Of the great bogus shift of bullshit culture
                                                                                                                          From one boutique to another
                                                                                                                          I am Tesla
                                                                                                                          I am his coil
                                                                                                                          The coil that made electricity soft as a bed
                                                                                                                          I am the Kanye West Kanye West thinks he is
                                                                                                                          When he shoves your ass off the stage
                                                                                                                          I am the real Kanye West
                                                                                                                          I don’t get around much anymore
                                                                                                                          I never have
                                                                                                                          I only come alive after a war
                                                                                                                          And we have not had it yet

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X