Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Ace King vs Loose Player

Hi There,

Just thought Id post this hand and get any opinions that anyone would like to offer.

Blinds 500/1000 Ante 100

Hero Mid Position Ace King Off Suit
    Opens for 2 BB

Hero has about 30 Big Blinds, Button Villan about the same.

1 Caller in Hijack (Hijack Villan)

1 Re Raise of 6BB from Button (Button Villan)

Hero Calls
    Hijack Villan Calls

Flop Comes Down

2 7 9 Rainbow Board

Hero Checks
    Hijack Villan Checks

Button Villan Bets Around 80% of the Pot

Button Villan has a wide range and mixes it up lot. Could have a solid hand, Also could have Ace high hand or bluff.

Hero Calls
    Hijack Villan Folds

Heads Up between Hero and Button Villan

Turn Card is a 3 Clubs (2 Clubs now on the board)

Hero pushes all in and is called by Button villan who turns over Pocket Jacks

River Card isn't an Ace or King so Hero is out.

My questions would be as follows
    1. Obviously being out of position is a major drawback for the hero in this hand. Given that the Button villan has a wide range, should the hero be looking to shove all in pre flop when the Hijack button reraises pre flop?
    2. When the flop comes, should the hero be looking to check fold/check shove as oppose to check calling?
    3. What signs should the hero be looking for in the Button villan as the Button villan has employed a similar strategy when holding Air in previous hands and tournaments?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

shove preflop

Comment

As above, when re-raised it's an easy shove pre.

As played just fold flop. You're guessing otherwise.

Comment

Shove pre.

Fold now. Why just flat if you're gonna continue calling and do your stack with Age high when you have no idea where you are?

Comment

the call after the flop is very weak, shoving pre flop was your best option .

Comment

Shoving pre is best option but if you flat and miss flop then you have to decide on flop if you are winning or not.if you think you are winning,check shove flop.otherwise,fold flop.calling is worst option as this allows villain to control pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplate View Post
              As above, when re-raised it's an easy shove pre.

As played just fold flop. You're guessing otherwise.
              This

Comment

I like a 4bet to half your stack ready to call a 5 bet

Comment

Thoughts in red...

Originally posted by ribena1980 View Post
                  Hi There,

Just thought Id post this hand and get any opinions that anyone would like to offer.

Blinds 500/1000 Ante 100

Hero Mid Position Ace King Off Suit
                  Opens for 2 BB

Hero has about 30 Big Blinds, Button Villan about the same.

1 Caller in Hijack (Hijack Villan)

1 Re Raise of 6BB from Button (Button Villan)

Hero Calls
                  Hijack Villan Calls

Flop Comes Down

2 7 9 Rainbow Board

Hero Checks
                  Hijack Villan Checks

Button Villan Bets Around 80% of the Pot

Button Villan has a wide range and mixes it up lot. Could have a solid hand, Also could have Ace high hand or bluff.

Hero Calls
                  Hijack Villan Folds

Heads Up between Hero and Button Villan

Turn Card is a 3 Clubs (2 Clubs now on the board)

Hero pushes all in and is called by Button villan who turns over Pocket Jacks

River Card isn't an Ace or King so Hero is out.

My questions would be as follows
                  1. Obviously being out of position is a major drawback for the hero in this hand. Given that the Button villan has a wide range, should the hero be looking to shove all in pre flop when the Hijack button reraises pre flop?

The HJ flat will encourage a squeeze by the button so shipping seems good as plenty of FE (4b /c also seems fine). That said, 30 bb is a v.healthy stack to go flipping with - which realistically is going to be the most common outcome if called, so I don't hate flatting depending on stage and structure of tourney (i.e. earlier / faster = more likely to rip)
                  2. When the flop comes, should the hero be looking to check fold/check shove as oppose to check calling?
                  I'm rarely c/f. I like c/call if you think villain is likely to give up with AQ/AJ/KQ/QJ type hands on turn. c/shoving cant be too bad as FE still likely to be very high but again, if called you can only be in bad shape. c/f seems ok though if you expect villain to barrel most turns and especially given the villain's sizing and your stack size - if deeper I like c/call

3. What signs should the hero be looking for in the Button villan as the Button villan has employed a similar strategy when holding Air in previous hands and tournaments?

When you say 'similar strategy' are you talking just pre or pre and large-ish flop bet (and future streets)? If villain is only loose pre then playing more aggro pre (i.e. 4 bet more) makes sense, or if they are the type to run multi-street bluffs then strengthening your flatting range (e.g by including AK as you did here) and getting value when he bluffs it all off on A or K hi run outs seems like a good plan...

FWIW, open-shoving turn is the only decision I don't like in this hand. It makes no sense at all to my mind - what value hand would you do this with after a c/call?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X