Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    I'm just holding out hoping I'll get away with not learning how to drive.
    I went for the balanced approach of learning how to drive (in case of a zombie apocalypse) but not bothering to get my license, adds extra thrill if I do end up driving in said apocalypse. But this is all moot of the zombie uprising doesn't happen soon as electric cars will be fuck all use at that stage. There should be a film that includes that. I digress...

Comment

Doesn't stop 50% of the lunatics on the m50 each day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        I went for the balanced approach of learning how to drive (in case of a zombie apocalypse) but not bothering to get my license, adds extra thrill if I do end up driving in said apocalypse. But this is all moot of the zombie uprising doesn't happen soon as electric cars will be fuck all use at that stage. There should be a film that includes that. I digress...
        If you can't outrun a zombie you deserve the entrails reefed out of you .

Comment

From my early research - can change providers and clear about €2k in cash early on (the bank's cashback offer less the legal fees for switching, am asking my solicitor brother to look into exact fees here), then save €30/month on a 5 year fixed compared to the variable mortgage we currently have. So it does make sense, ASSUMING the hassle is worth it.

I only drive approximately 10k or less per year, don't drive to work, so know that having a car is basically a waste of money or could be considered a luxury for the family. Would be cheaper to hire cars and get taxis everywhere I'm sure. But it's one of those things worth wasting money on I think!

Comment

Attn: Gill

It's grim up north
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
              From my early research - can change providers and clear about €2k in cash early on (the bank's cashback offer less the legal fees for switching, am asking my solicitor brother to look into exact fees here), then save €30/month on a 5 year fixed compared to the variable mortgage we currently have. So it does make sense, ASSUMING the hassle is worth it.

I only drive approximately 10k or less per year, don't drive to work, so know that having a car is basically a waste of money or could be considered a luxury for the family. Would be cheaper to hire cars and get taxis everywhere I'm sure. But it's one of those things worth wasting money on I think!
              How much would you save fixing with your current bank? 3.8k saving is decent as a headline but you’re not comparing apples with apples.

I think I’d do it if it was definitely 3.8k in net savings. An 8k bonus effectively so worth a bit of effort. Just make sure it’s a true saving. The pain of it though, you’d really feel like saying to your bank “don’t make me do all this lads just make me a decent counter offer”....I know they probably won’t negotiate but still.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                If you can't outrun a zombie you deserve the entrails reefed out of you .
                recently as I was recovering from Achilles injury (then displaced cuboid on the other foot ) , I spent a lot more time than I should have imagining how quickly I'd die with something apocalyptic were to happen due to my inability to walk or run.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  recently as I was recovering from Achilles injury (then displaced cuboid on the other foot ) , I spent a lot more time than I should have imagining how quickly I'd die with something apocalyptic were to happen due to my inability to walk or run.
                  Just trip someone else with your walking stick!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    My apocalyptic thoughts involve whiskey and sex and the suspension of morals in both regards.

Comment

Poor auld Fat Sam, brought on Sky Sports to talk transfer shite talk and two of his ex clubs where he got most abuse spending fortunes on the very type of players he needed(& would probably have ruined) when he was at them

Comment

People in retail here really need to work on their sales patter.

Me, straight out of work, in full suit, shirt & tie walk into clothes shop.

Shop Assistant : Hi, are you having a nice day?

Me : Yeah, not bad now, still pretty warm out there.

SA : Are you on holidays?

Me (in my head) : Da Fuq wears a full suit, shirt and tie on holidays ya bleedin gimp?

Me (out loud) : No, just finished up work for the day and having a browse.

Comment

Get yourself back to Malta and you won't need to drive again

Speaking of which; there's plenty of jobs going in my place all of the time. We were 8 handed when i moved over 2+ years ago, and now we're 60+ and have expanded right across the floor where our offices are situated. We're also opening an office in Barcelona in 2019 and we'll be able to stick about ~100 soldiers in there too!

You'll get a €2k travel allowance to use heading off wherever you want, a €1600 wellness benefit to use at gyms and looking after yourself. Lots of freebies from time to time like Bose Headphones, Kindle Paperweight, company branded gear, memberships to beach clubs, tickets to see top gigs like Pete Tong (and Faithless this Sunday) and other perks. Not to mention the all expenses paid trip to Cancun in April! Next month, a guy that's been working with me closely in the company for the past 3 years remotely, is making the move with his wife and 2 kids to join up on a full-time gig.

Might interest some of you looking for a new challenge. Check out our (in need of some love) website and let me know if anything here interests you and i'll be happy to help where I can

Comment

With all yere talk of cars and pensions we must be back.

Any interest in a random €100 premier league race to 15 draw?

Cliffs - 100 snot a head (trust or i'll collect at a 2 week deadline)

Winner - 1st team to score exactly 15 goals in the premier league.

(i.e. if your team goes into match 6 with 14 goals, scores 2, you are back to 1 goal...)

Comment

Will do a draw at midday 2mrw if interest..

Might never be won btw but i'll take the in account interest!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Me (out loud): Da Fuq wears a full suit, shirt and tie on holidays ya bleedin gimp?

Me (in my head) : No, just finished up work for the day and having a browse.
                                FYP for me these days as what my family describe as my very own version of Asperger's progresses to absolutely not giving a feck what anyone thinks
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                  With all yere talk of cars and pensions we must be back.

Any interest in a random €100 premier league race to 15 draw?

Cliffs - 100 snot a head (trust or i'll collect at a 2 week deadline)

Winner - 1st team to score exactly 15 goals in the premier league.

(i.e. if your team goes into match 6 with 14 goals, scores 2, you are back to 1 goal...)
                                  Is 100 not a bit rich for a raffle, 25 or 50 gets more runners IMO

probably in anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    FYP for me these days as what my family describe as my very own version of Asperger's progresses to absolutely not giving a feck what anyone thinks
                                    The joys of old age.

You'll be battering young wans out of your way at the post office with your walking stick next.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd be interested. Like sp said I think you'd get more interest at 25 or 50 tho

Comment

...Ah feck off, stupid thing this is, like No one would do it...Ok , arm twisted I'm in...Would prefer €50 though, considering it is just a gamble lol...

Comment

In for anything up to 50
                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

In for whatever amount is agreed on the 15 goals lark

Comment

Like flynn.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I'll buy that for a dollar (or the €100 mooted price). In.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Speaking of which; there's plenty of jobs going in my place all of the time. We were 8 handed when i moved over 2+ years ago, and now we're 60+ and have expanded right across the floor where our offices are situated. We're also opening an office in Barcelona in 2019 and we'll be able to stick about ~100 soldiers in there too!

You'll get a €2k travel allowance to use heading off wherever you want, a €1600 wellness benefit to use at gyms and looking after yourself. Lots of freebies from time to time like Bose Headphones, Kindle Paperweight, company branded gear, memberships to beach clubs, tickets to see top gigs like Pete Tong (and Faithless this Sunday) and other perks. Not to mention the all expenses paid trip to Cancun in April! Next month, a guy that's been working with me closely in the company for the past 3 years remotely, is making the move with his wife and 2 kids to join up on a full-time gig.

Might interest some of you looking for a new challenge. Check out our (in need of some love) website and let me know if anything here interests you and i'll be happy to help where I can
                                                  Is that with the fella from Cavan!?

Comment

Would be in too

Comment

You may not like it but that's a bit harsh

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        Is that with the fella from Cavan!?
                                                        Yep

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        You may not like it but that's a bit harsh
                                                        MrsF already pointed out that i made a mistake with this, but i couldn't be arsed changing it. We had money that Mike Bullocks would be the first to pull me up on it

Comment

We could do with a few more votes in the last matches of round 1 of music king...

Cheers!

Comment

XPOST from the Most Electrifying Thread on IPB.

IPB FPL LAST & FINAL CALL

Reminder that I can only accept entries up to 4PM Irish time this afternoon as I won't be around after that to check payments and send league codes.

Act in haste or repent at leisure folks
                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                              His debts are less than 50% of his net worth and he’s only 40 and in a pretty strong job situation. You’d swear he was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy the way they are going on.
                                                              50% Debt/Asset would be a medium term goal for me.
                                                              If I hit it, I'll probably bump it back out again

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                50% Debt/Asset would be a medium term goal for me.
                                                                If I hit it, I'll probably bump it back out again
                                                                Do people still consider their family home as an 'Asset'?

ruh-roh....

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  Do people still consider their family home as an 'Asset'?

ruh-roh....
                                                                  indeed. It's a conversation I've been having recently.

I mean of course it's an asset in it's purest sense but ultimately if/when you sell it the only part that you can realise is the part that isn't needed to replace it.

I guess if you inherit a home then it's a pure asset but given the uncertainty of when or if that might occur I think it's unwise to think of it as an asset.

Now, if you were mortgage free you could think of it as a dividend paying asset class one that returns the difference between renting and paying 0 for accommodation (after property tax, maintenance, house insurance etc) I guess but ultimately you kind of have to forget about the capital from an asset perspective I think.

Comment

In for 15 goals thing

Comment

Looks like 10 interested so far.

Will do it for €50 so as seems to be preferred. Will leave open till this evening and do draw at 6pm.

10 spots left.

Comment

Will do it for €50 so as seems to be preferred. Will leave open till this evening and do draw at 6pm.

10 spots left.
                                                                        In

Comment

In as well please

Comment

MUFC v Leicester is on Sky One tonight so no need for stream hunting.

Comment

Dice
                                                                              SP
                                                                              Limpwhacker
                                                                              luckforsome
                                                                              Switchy
                                                                              Oleras
                                                                              5Star
                                                                              Lao Lao
                                                                              Charlie Sheen
                                                                              Iago
                                                                              Eoghan
                                                                              ionapaul
                                                                              DP
                                                                              Dobby
                                                                              balfejohn
                                                                              Last edited by Dice75; 10-08-18, 09:13.

Comment

In for €50

Comment

Yep
                                                                                  Incredible, brilliant stuff. Give him my best!

Comment

10 spots left.
                                                                                    In

Comment

Tesla Board Confirms It Never Saw LBO "Financing Plan" From Musk

While Tesla's board has held multiple discussions about the proposal - as it documented in its statement on Wednesday - it has "not yet received a detailed financing plan from Musk and specific information on who will provide the funding."

I really think when the book is written about this whole saga that around the time of the "pedo" tweet is when it all really started becoming undone.

Comment

Tesla Board Confirms It Never Saw LBO "Financing Plan" From Musk

While Tesla's board has held multiple discussions about the proposal - as it documented in its statement on Wednesday - it has "not yet received a detailed financing plan from Musk and specific information on who will provide the funding."

I really think when the book is written about this whole saga that around the time of the "pedo" tweet is when it all really started becoming undone.
                                                                                        He's off his head and this will all end messily, with an established manufacturer stepping in to loot the carcass.

It does however create superb entertainment that you usually don't get in the business media.

Comment

Don't htink there's much to loot

Comment

So when are u shorting it? Very tempting st this stage...
                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                              So when are u shorting it? Very tempting st this stage...
                                                                                              Should have shorted it on the 420 news really. Esp as it shook out some of the weaker shorts and got retail longs in. Shorting Tesla in general is one of the most crowed trades around. Main thing is picking the timeline.

Comment

Can someone please randomise the 20 Premier League teams for me please. Numbered 1-20 beside them?

Comment

From what I see amongst a whole generation of people with more money than sense and all those aspiring to be them, Tesla are turning out the single most sought after object of desire of the age.

Comment

I'm sure there's both tech and enginneering skills?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                      Can someone please randomise the 20 Premier League teams for me please. Numbered 1-20 beside them?
                                                                                                      This is what randomorg came up with, fill in the numbers 1-20 yourself.

Everton
                                                                                                      Crystal Palace
                                                                                                      Tottenham Hotspur
                                                                                                      Arsenal
                                                                                                      Liverpool
                                                                                                      Burnley
                                                                                                      West Ham United
                                                                                                      Brighton & Hove Albion
                                                                                                      Manchester City
                                                                                                      Chelsea
                                                                                                      Newcastle United
                                                                                                      AFC Bournemouth
                                                                                                      Watford
                                                                                                      Cardiff City
                                                                                                      Huddersfield Town
                                                                                                      Wolverhampton Wanderers
                                                                                                      Fulham
                                                                                                      Leicester City
                                                                                                      Manchester United
                                                                                                      Southampton

Comment

Finally pulled the trigger (long awaited) on a S&P 500 inverse tracker ETF. After all the chat here earlier, now thinking about a Tesla short vehicle: https://beursproducten.vontobel.com/.../DE000VA3PXR0?

Available on Degiro. Anyone else getting stuck in?

Comment

My Friend's company bought him a Model S with all the extras. He was on a waiting list for a Model 3.

The thing is absolutely incredible.
                                                                                                          I could think of plenty more cars i'd rather own for 107k but he is in heaven.

Comment

Visited a Tesla showroom in Santa Monica, they really do have the looks and feels knocked out of the park. Will be almost tragic if/when it all goes tits-up.
                                                                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Is there even anyone else producing an executive plug in >50Km range at all?

Comment

I'm rooting for Tesla anyway.

Comment

Is there even anyone else producing an executive plug in >50Km range at all?
                                                                                                                  BMW. jaguar, hyundai for the bigger cars. i'm sure there are plenty more

Comment

All I know of Musk is his unfounded and irrational hatred of hydrogen as a fuel source while roundly ignoring the elephant in the battery room being the dwindling supplies of lithium. I'm on the hydrogen train so I hope he fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                      My Friend's company bought him a Model S with all the extras. He was on a waiting list for a Model 3.

The thing is absolutely incredible.
                                                                                                                      I could think of plenty more cars i'd rather own for 107k but he is in heaven.
                                                                                                                      Think that's more about electric cars and their acceleration in general rather than something specific to Tesla.

From what I see amongst a whole generation of people with more money than sense and all those aspiring to be them, Tesla are turning out the single most sought after object of desire of the age.
                                                                                                                      All the majors are getting involved over the next while, think that will wear off.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      I'm sure there's both tech and enginneering skills?
                                                                                                                      Their current VP of engineering was VP of monetization in Snapchat

They've had a lot of high level departures in the last few months.

Comment

The Boris Johnson story is an extraordinarily crafted piece of political manipulation.

Its worth reading the original article to see how carefully he constructs it to draw attention to a couple of lines that are designed to offend
                                                                                                                        he leads with : 'the burqa is oppressive'
                                                                                                                        then throws in
                                                                                                                        it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes
                                                                                                                        Before starting to get to the point under debate
                                                                                                                        If a constituent came to my MP’s surgery with her face obscured, I should feel fully entitled to ask her to remove it so that I could talk to her properly.

But then lobs in another remark designed to be gratuitously offensive to people whose culture includes this form of dress.

If a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber then ditto

He finishes with stating a watery enough position against the Danish law. He then sits back and waits for the whole thing to explode, disappears from view until his Tory opponents are forced to come out against him at which point, yesterday, an entire regiment of supporters appear on every available media outlet framing it as an argument about Free speech and he didn't realllllly say anything all that offensive , well did he?
                                                                                                                        Meanwhile commentators recognise that this is a two pronged attack challenging May's leadership on the one hand while setting off a barrage of dog whistles that are sweet music to the only constituency that matter to him now: Gammon Man with a vote in the Tory party leadership election.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        Ah Denmark, what a country. If any society breathes the spirit of liberty, this is it.

It was only a few weeks ago that I was in Copenhagen for some international conference, and as ever I rose early and went for a run. As I passed through some yuppie zone of warehouse conversions and posh restaurants I saw to my amazement that the Danes had also got up early for exercise – and they were diving stark naked into the bracing waters of the harbour. And I thought to myself – that’s the Danes for you; that’s the spirit of Viking individualism. I mean, we have a climate warmer than Denmark; but even so, would you expect to see Brits disrobing and plunging into the waters of Canary Wharf, or even Greenwich? We are pretty easy-going, but not that easy-going.

If you wanted to visit a country that seemed on the face of it to embody the principles of JS Mill – that you should be able to do what you want provided you do no harm to others – I would advise you to head for wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
                                                                                                                        Denmark is the only country in Europe, as far as I know, that still devotes a large proportion of its capital city to an anarchist commune, called Christiania, where I remember spending a happy afternoon 25 years ago inhaling the sweet air of freedom. It is the Danes who still hold out against all sorts of EU tyrannies, large and small.

They still chew their lethal carcinogenic tobacco; they still eat their red-dyed frankfurters; they still use the krone rather than the euro; they still refuse to let foreigners buy holiday homes in Jutland; and of course it was the heroic population of Denmark that on that magnificent day in June 1992 stuck two fingers up to the elites of Europe and voted down the Maastricht treaty – and though that revolt was eventually crushed by the European establishment (as indeed, note, they will try to crush all such revolts), that great nej to Maastricht expressed something about the Danish spirit: a genial and happy cussedness and independence.

It is a spirit you see everywhere on the streets of Copenhagen in the veneration for that supreme embodiment of vehicular autonomy, the bicycle. The Danes don’t cycle with their heads down, grimly, in Lycra, swearing at people who get in their way. They wander and weave helmetless down the beautiful boulevards on clapped-out granny bikes, with a culture of cycling in which everyone is treated with courtesy and respect. Yes, if you wanted to visit a country that seemed on the face of it to embody the principles of JS Mill – that you should be able to do what you want provided you do no harm to others – I would advise you to head for wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen.

If you tell me that the burqa is oppressive, then I am with you. If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree
                                                                                                                        So I was a bit surprised to see that on August 1 the Danes joined several other European countries – France, Germany, Austria, Belgium – in imposing a ban on the niqab and the burka – those items of Muslim head-gear that obscure the female face. Already a fine of 1000 kroner – about £120 – has been imposed on a 28-year-old woman seen wearing a niqab in a shopping centre in the north eastern town of Horsholm. A scuffle broke out as someone tried to rip it off her head. There have been demonstrations, on both sides of the argument. What has happened, you may ask, to the Danish spirit of live and let live?

If you tell me that the burka is oppressive, then I am with you. If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree – and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran. I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes; and I thoroughly dislike any attempt by any – invariably male – government to encourage such demonstrations of “modesty”, notably the extraordinary exhortations of President Ramzan Kadyrov of Chechnya, who has told the men of his country to splat their women with paintballs if they fail to cover their heads.

I am against a total ban because it is inevitably construed – rightly or wrongly – as being intended to make some point about Islam
                                                                                                                        If a constituent came to my MP’s surgery with her face obscured, I should feel fully entitled – like Jack Straw – to ask her to remove it so that I could talk to her properly. If a female student turned up at school or at a university lecture looking like a bank robber then ditto: those in authority should be allowed to converse openly with those that they are being asked to instruct. As for individual businesses or branches of government – they should of course be able to enforce a dress code that enables their employees to interact with customers; and that means human beings must be able to see each other’s faces and read their expressions. It’s how we work.

All that seems to me to be sensible. But such restrictions are not quite the same as telling a free-born adult woman what she may or may not wear, in a public place, when she is simply minding her own business.

Comment

Dice
                                                                                                                          SP
                                                                                                                          Limpwhacker
                                                                                                                          luckforsome
                                                                                                                          Switchy
                                                                                                                          Oleras
                                                                                                                          5Star
                                                                                                                          Lao Lao
                                                                                                                          Charlie Sheen
                                                                                                                          Iago
                                                                                                                          Eoghan
                                                                                                                          ionapaul
                                                                                                                          DP
                                                                                                                          Dobby
                                                                                                                          balfejohn
                                                                                                                          5 spots left if anyone wants in

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X