Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
    Long, but good article/interview about the making of Rounders, which is 20 years old now.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/a...mpression=true
    Bill simmons does a pod on the ringer network called rewatchables and they did rounders last week, was very good

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Not sure pointing to a country that is almost the exact same and say they do it too is a sign of how widespread this effect is. Actually to some extent its a feature of individualistic countries - as was the Englands gift to the world including Ireland - that in those countries (which are all kinda the same) individual opinion is so overvalued compared to what is the common good - which experts are generally trained to maximise.
        You don't think an entire country of 65M people committing collective suicide explicitly based on the mistrust of experts is a good example of widespread mistrust of experts!? Come on now!

Does your 'individualistic countries' get out of jail free card mean that if I bring up examples from anywhere in the western world they won't count either?

Honestly, if you can point out any example of a major change to daily routine of a large group of people that didn't provoke loads of white noise and consternation I'd tip my cap.

Thanks for saying I'm rarely wrong by the way you auld charmer

But it is a particularly Irish disease I am talking about - Michael Gove talking about ignoring the experts is very different to Biffo down the pub not just acting as if, but in his head knowing - that he knows more about bus planning than a person who is internationally recognised for designing excellent bus networks.
        Sorry we Irish are the outstanding and/or unique paragons of the Dunning–Kruger effect?

I'd say the thing we are unusual at is how passionately we believe the rest of the us are the worst, although realistically we're probably totally normal on that front as well.
        Last edited by Keane; 21-09-18, 19:51.

Comment

Comment

You see its in the absence of news that the proof is. The fact that all those nice continental countries have nice metros and bicycle lanes and ample housing, is precisely because experts are allowed to run the show. Not without public opinion or public imput clearly, but without this being ranked as equally important as expert opinion.

Also the acceptance of high local taxes and high general taxes is also related to acceptance by the populations that a collection of experts (government) will be able to do better things with their money than they can do individually.
            But sure we would never hear if there was confused opposition to changes to bus timetables in Paris - I mean I presume the Dublin BusConnects is not making headlines in France!? If you are using the absence of international news about local annoyance at local inconvenience in places other than Ireland I can see why you think the only people who ever complain about anything are in Ireland.

The other thing I think a big element of the annoyance with the perception (reality?) in Ireland that local taxes don't go to local services. We have a pretty big problem with ineffectual local government structures and a fairly justifiable belief that if you give a load of money to your local council they will waste it on penny whistles and moonpies.

Comment

An idea that will increase bus network service by 50% at almost no cost, and everyone objects.
              If it did work well for 765k but now works well for 1m, bit 20k (for example) of those that were in the 765k but are not in the 1m, why would they not complain and resist the change? It seems that there are a good few for whom this is the case. Why would they care about the greater good on an issue like this rather thank their own good?

Comment

If it did work well for 765k but now works well for 1m, bit 20k (for example) of those that were in the 765k but are not in the 1m, why would they not complain and resist the change? It seems that there are a good few for whom this is the case. Why would they care about the greater good on an issue like this rather thank their own good?
                In fairness I think Hitch has a point about individualist vs collectivist cultures in that regard. In a fairly individualist society like ours people are way less inclined to see the greater good but I would guess there would be places particularly in Asia where they would be more inclined to suck up personal inconvenience to some extent in deference to the fact that the system is better for everyone overall.

I've read some bits and pieces and listened to a few podcasts that talked about those different tendencies over the years - it's interesting stuff. Different language structures apparently have a huge impact on how people view things like the above, instant vs delayed gratification, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  In fairness I think Hitch has a point about individualist vs collectivist cultures in that regard. In a fairly individualist society like ours people are way less inclined to see the greater good but I would guess there would be places particularly in Asia where they would be more inclined to suck up personal inconvenience to some extent in deference to the fact that the system is better for everyone overall.

I've read some bits and pieces and listened to a few podcasts that talked about those different tendencies over the years - it's interesting stuff. Different language structures apparently have a huge impact on how people view things like the above, instant vs delayed gratification, etc
                  Japan for example? except they adopt a hands on approach to sexual harassment .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    As the cliche has it, it's all about location*3.

We could take our equity and buy this.

Followed up with several racehorses, a couple of new cars, multiple holidays, frequent visits from SatNav and topping up the kids college funds.
                    Fyp
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Mia started first manditory not impressed Fencing class this morning.

Stand gaurd she saying all evening lol

Absolutely hated it
                      . Amazing little school tbf. 26 in first yr she absolutely loves the school and is settling in very well. I have learned she detests science and French and loves tech graph maths and Irish. Half way through the year she switches to learning Spanish which she is dying to do.

Have an app on my phone where I log in to see behaviours, exam results and stuff.

Point system Inc on app plusses for hard work minuses for the bad shit ie lateness. Phone, no homework etc

So far we have one plus for work effort

Gonna be a fantastic school!
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

I'm. Fucking pissing myself laughing here. Go to catch up player rte feile an turas go Tipp

5 mins in spot me aged 20 😂😂😂
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

decent punchline to this Arizona political ad.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

Is that a normal public school, but just how new schools are? That's amazing.

Our kid starts her fencing on Tuesday, and was speaking to someone we used to live next to in Howrh whose kid did fencing last year, so it must be the in-thing to do!
                                Nope brand new school in portlaoise that nobody really knew about and I told mia shut her mouth
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                  Nope brand new school in portlaoise that nobody really knew about and I told mia shut her mouth
                                  http://dunamasecollege.ie/about-us/
                                  Quality bit of parenting that!

For (s)he who is not one up, is one down

Comment

Meet The Rowing Brothers who shocked the world: Paul and Gary O’Donovan.WATCH all The Way of the Wildcard episodes right here:►E1: https://www.youtube.com/wa...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                      http://dunamasecollege.ie/about-us/
                                      Well my kids are going here .......... not.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Comment

An eating question.

Wife has this bizarre objection to the kids having a dessert after dinner. I was making the eminently sensible point that every single cusine in the world follows dinner with something sweet, so there must be a good reason for that as it's not really feasible that the way the whole world eats is wrong.

Obviously my point is brilliant, but I don't know why. Why is having a sweet dish after a savoury dish a good idea?
                                            Why do you think teaching your kids to eat 30+ spoons of sugar after every meal is a good thing?

Comment

Nutrient dense savoury stuff first as its more important for life sustenance.
                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Comment

Are they the only two choices available: zero sugar or 30+ spoons?
                                                  People who eat more sweets are at higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer… but that may not actually be sugar’s fault. BBC Future investigates the latest findings.

Comment

Was thinking maybe:

- Helps with digestion of the fat-heavy savoury food

Or

- Provides an energy boost to avoid the sluggishness that follows eating dense calories
                                                    Are you talking daily, weekly or monthly desserts here? Fairly sure none of your cultures were having desert daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                      Why do you think teaching your kids to eat 30+ spoons of sugar after every meal is a good thing?
                                                      Where are you going with 30 spoons of sugar hes not giving them a liter of cola.
                                                      Surely some fruit berries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream wont kill the child or some fruit salad.

Comment

Was thinking maybe:

- Helps with digestion of the fat-heavy savoury food

Or

- Provides an energy boost to avoid the sluggishness that follows eating dense calories
                                                        Idk I found "The Case Against Sugar" pretty compelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                          Easy guys to like.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Almost like Pravda...but he wouldn't say that

Comment

Livescore taking the piss by not showing the score in the city game for some reason.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                    Tied up Fri/Sat so just posting this now for the weekend...

5star on the clock...

Comment

5star on the clock...
                                                                      Well bbv'd

Busto.

Lao Lao next sweat.

Comment

Well bbv'd

Busto.

Lao Lao next sweat.
                                                                        And he moves into odds on fav with Liverpool scoring 2 in the 1st half

Spoke too soon. Salad does a goal for number 3.

Lao Lao massive favourite now
                                                                        Last edited by dobby; 22-09-18, 14:50.

Comment

City bust, ul Dom....
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                            Livescore taking the piss by not showing the score in the city game for some reason.

SPOILER
                                                                            Ah they scored 2 already so they're back to the start now

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                              Probably an issue with their data providers, not LiveScore themselves.

Comment

Unlucky Lao Lao, Ionapul next contender tomorrow bar Spurs going nuts this evening....

Comment

Useless scousers couldn't manage one goal in 45 minutes against a team losing three nil...

Comment

Useless scousers couldn't manage one goal in 45 minutes against a team losing three nil...
                                                                                    Had the ball in the net near the end too and it was ruled out for offside lol

Comment

Is there a prize for last Newcastle are brutal
                                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

The man is frequently wrong. But he's not wrong here.

Softening up the peasantry for the inevitable.

We should set up the refugee camps in Monaghan now.
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                          decent punchline to this Arizona political ad.

https://youtu.be/IZuayQFD51w
                                                                                          I'm feeling a bit thick. I don't get it, what's the craic?
                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Just had a quick look at the Winamax live reporting via translate. Interesting report on Jayminators double up on the bubble....

Recap # 3
                                                                                            We are at table 22, and Jay O'Toole (photo) is in danger with only 65,000 (not even 6BB). Fortunately for him, his A 5 will hold against the opponent's K J. " Go blue, " he exclaims with an accent that smells like Guinness.

Comment

Well bbv'd

Busto.

Lao Lao next sweat.
                                                                                              I'm funking the very unlikely scenario that no one wins and there is a rollover.

Comment

...

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                  The people complaining about what a dick the politician is are all his own family, which is reasonably unusual.
                                                                                                  Oh, ok. I got that, just assumed there was some twist to it all that I was missing.

A family of dicks so. Who does that about their own kin?

Special Edit: I have deleted this wayward opinion on further examination of the facts (see below). A family of warriors. With one dick.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Lazare; 22-09-18, 18:36.

Comment

I'm funking the very unlikely scenario that no one wins and there is a rollover.
                                                                                                    Arsenal to stick 5 past Everton tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                      Oh, ok. I got that, just assumed there was some twist to it all that I was missing.

A family of dicks so. Who does that about their own kin?
                                                                                                      People who can see the damage he's doing? Or at least perceive it that way.

Blind family duty was (and is) often how sexual abuse gets covered up.
                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        People who can see the damage he's doing? Or at least perceive it that way.

Blind family duty was (and is) often how sexual abuse gets covered up.
                                                                                                        Fair nuf.

Have no idea of the people or policies, maybe he is a gigantic prick ruining the world. In that case, fair play I suppose. On ignorance of that, it just seemed a little cunty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                          Fair nuf.

Have no idea of the people or policies, maybe he is a gigantic prick ruining the world. In that case, fair play I suppose. On ignorance of that, it just seemed a little cunty.
                                                                                                          Seems fair enough - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45611403

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                            I hereby delete my previous opinion.

Comment

Who carries a pigeons head on them?
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                Nice. What's the MB Dome like? Always thought of it as a shit hole but maybe Hurricane Katrina events influenced.

Not the best game to be at for action but there was some great drama at the end.
                                                                                                                I thought it was impressive, only have the Toronto Rogers dome to compare it with stateside but it definitely beats that. Certainly up there with most of not all the European stadiums I’ve been in with the possible exception of Wembley but that might be nostalgia more than anything else.

Yeah, not great action throughout but there was a great atmosphere and as you say great drama at the end to make up for it.
                                                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

We're back, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Who carries a pigeons head on them?
                                                                                                                        Someone threw a turnip that hit my father in the back of the head in croke park at the All Ireland final in 1980. He thinks they were from Roscommon.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Keane; 22-09-18, 19:51.

Comment

Holy shit Tiger take it easy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X