What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    High-rise is short so I read that yesterday, still not sure what to make of it tbh. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I didn't. A good writer yet too academic. I think I read a surrealist painting in book form, the mundane with the extreme.
    That's Jim in a nutshell.

I'm a huge fanboi but high rise isn't in my top ten of his. The later novels cocaine nights and super Cannes are my favorites of the novels. But it's the short stories where he really shines. There is a complete short stories collection that is well worthwhile, it's a bit of a brick but it's the one hardcopy book that never leaves my pile.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Great I'll check that out! Love a good short story.

Comment

Also for anybody that liked High-Rise it for some reason reminded me of House of Leaves. Read that, it's a million times better. may have recommended it before. I guess I thought of it as it involves a building and descent into madness.

Also the one book I'd say definitely get a paper copy of as the format (get the full colour edition), changing font and everything bundled together actually affect the reader:

The format and structure of House of Leaves is unconventional, with unusual page layout and style, making it a prime example of ergodic literature.[1][2] It contains copious footnotes, many of which contain footnotes themselves, including references to fictional books, films or articles.[3] Some pages contain only a few words or lines of text, arranged in strange ways to mirror the events in the story, often creating both an agoraphobic and a claustrophobic effect. The novel is also distinctive for its multiple narrators, who interact with each other in elaborate and disorienting ways.

While some have attempted to describe the book as a horror story, many readers, as well as the author, define the book as a love story. Danielewski expands on this point in an interview: "I had one woman come up to me in a bookstore and say, 'You know, everyone told me it was a horror book, but when I finished it, I realized that it was a love story.' And she's absolutely right. In some ways, genre is a marketing tool."[4] House of Leaves has also been described as a "satire of academic criticism."[

If you like that then apparently this is recommended too: "You Should Have Left" by Daniel Kehlmann
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 18-12-17, 16:43.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-01-18, 23:46.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Stung by this implied criticism of slow-reading I decided to up my game, but still couldn't top our resident negroid. The final tally for the year was 54 books read. 19 non-fiction, 28 fiction, and an additional 7 detective/thriller books.
            Out of curiosity, why do you count detective/thriller books separate to the other fiction books. More than a book per week is pretty impressive. I could never fit it.

*also, negroid?

Comment

Comment

DOUBLE KISS by Ronnie osullivan , excellent book

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  I actually find it tougher to read fiction, I'm so used to reading short snippets of info that I can't focus on it for long. I'm been actively trying to work in more fiction these days.
                  I tried to read Dostoyevsky year before last and really struggled, too much phone/computer meant I'd just get distracted after a couple of paragraphs. Read a negliable amount that year.

This year was better. I started using goodreads a few months ago. Says I read 30 last year, 28 non-fiction and 2 fiction, I probably did half of that in the last 3 months. I've about a dozen others that I started and didn't finish, still working my though "A History of Western Philosophy" too, not sure I'll ever feel done with that.

3. War and Peace

Just incredible that one man could produce this. From the inner thoughts of an array of characters across such tumultuous years; the way he captures the fog of battle and war in general, to his philosophical discussions. I really wish I'd read it years earlier it would have saved me a lot of time.

I remember when I bought the book in chapters the person and the desk said "good luck" but it was anything but a chore to read. It does drag a little towards the end when he gets a bit repetitive with his philosophy but at that stage he's earned the right to do whatever fuck he wants. I went for the Louise and Aylmer Maude translation. I really hope I can fit in reading it again this year.

2. Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
                  The Case Against Sugar

Going to lump these two in together, both from Gary Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories. I don't think it's going to be revolutionary reading for most here, but it's enlightening to get further insight into why we should avoid carbs and sugar in particular.

1. Why We Sleep

I was always of the view that I'll sleep when I'm dead, there's been long periods where I didn't get enough sleep during the working week and then topped it off by getting even less at the weekend, so this book was utterly terrifying. Completely changed how I view sleep. Probably one of the most impactful books I'm ever going to read.
                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-01-18, 14:03.

Comment

Am I odd in reading almost 100% non fiction?
                    Nothing changes.

A final honourable mention goes to Guilia Enders for writing Gut. It wasn't quite revolutionary enough to make the top three, but what goes on in the stomach and intestines is surprisingly interesting.
                    I haven't read that but I read clever gut which I'm guessing is something similar.

Comment

Comment

Nightschool by Richard Wiseman is another one I can recommend on that topic.

As an aside, Denny joining Goodreads has led to a massive bloat in my 'to-read' pile. Need to get back to downloading audiobooks to lighten the load.

Comment

Comment

I set up a goodreads account the other day for the 2018 challenge. I've set it to 50 books.
                            I have most of them purchased, i'll add why we sleep, any other non-fiction suggestions??

Two recent releases that I have come across which are probably of interest to some here

https://www.bookdepository.com/Troub.../9781451651508

https://www.bookdepository.com/WTF-W.../9781847941855
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-01-18, 17:15.

Comment

There's just myself Denny and Strewel in it, but the IPB goodreads group I set up back in the day is here Hitch:

You can see what books people are reading etc if you add them as friends or whatever.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-01-18, 01:14.

Comment

I can see five in it including you Hitch. I'm guessing that's Mocata too.

I know you preferred Sapiens but I finished Guns Germs and Steel last night and I think I preferred it.
                                  I really enjoyed Sapiens too and I suspect if I read them the other way around I might feel different as I have read a couple of evolutionary books in between.
                                  I ordered 3 of Jared Diamonds other books either way, I thinks he's excellent.

Comment

I found myself questioning Sapiens a few times (like his affection for big empires) or anecdotes like the Germans using Big Ben chimes over the radio to determine the weather in London, which seem to have no basis.

Comment

Comment

Comment

From a quick glance I'd say the Ender's Gut one is a more scientific exploration of the general importance, while your own seems more practical. Much of a muchness I guess. The Ender's one was recommended on here, so didn't put any further thought into it.

Author of Gut, Gut giulia enders, gut makeover, recipe book and very clever gut diet 4 books collection set, and O discreto charme do intestino

Comment

Good read
                                            SPOILER
                                            IMAGINE what it would be like to turn your back on the nine-to-five drudgery of normal working life and risk everything you've ever had on the fate of a horse race or the outcome of a ball game. In the gambling fraternity, Harry Findlay has earned legendary status. He has been skint dozens of times, won over £20 million and spent just as much. But he will not change. Fearless and formidable, bullish and bombastic, there is no one in the gambling game who can match Harry's style and seismic impact. When he first ran a betting slip through his fingers as a 16-year-old, Harry said he had been handed the keys to the Magic Kingdom. Gambling has taken him all around the globe, enjoying five-star travel and a gourmet indulgence at the world's biggest sporting events. In his much-awaited book, Harry recounts the mind-boggling tales behind the thousand and million pound multi-sport bets that will make ordinary punters shudder including the day he wagered £2.5 million on a rugby match. It is a remarkable life story of ups and downs. Aged 21 years old, he served nearly a year in some of Her Majesty's toughest jails. Who'd have thought he would go on to own Big Fella Thanks, winner of the Derby at Clonmel and the most famous dog to come out of Ireland and be part owner of the legendary racehorse Denman, who carried his colours to Gold Cup glory. Harry's subsequent controversial disqualification from racing destroyed him, despite the ruling being overturned on appeal. Most fascinating of all, Harry tells how he has survived and continues to work his magic in the gambling world, and still believes in his own special talent to read sports events and to continue to stay one step ahead of the internet companies that flood our minds with the temptation to risk so much. Harry Findlay: Gambling For Life reflects one man's extraordinary passion for gambling. How he cannot live without it. And how he knows that, even if he loses all .

Old documentary rescued from VHS after 15 years in the loft. It follows professional gambler Harry Findlay to get a view of his day-to-day ups an downs and h...

Comment

I'm about half way through The Amber Spyglass. It's a most enjoyable series, glad I went back and read it properly.

Comment

I read a lot of books that I thought were really good last year. I mentioned The Leopard a few months back, and glad to see Hitch enjoyed The Master and Margarita as well.

A light-hearted book I read while on holiday early in the year was Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris which had me in hysterics several times.

I think top of the list however were Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, and The Book by Alan Watts. Interesting that both of them are essentially about Buddhism. I had read The Way of Zen earlier in the year which I think helped me get a lot out of Siddhartha. I read The Book subsequently and I've never highlighted so many passages in a book. I think it's been a real boon learning some little bit about Eastern philosophy as it gives a much different perspective on the world to the one which is typically presented to us in the west. Alan Watts is probably a good place to go looking for anyone interested as he seems to have a good handle on how to explain it to people from our background.

There are some great bits and pieces of his lectures floating around on youtube and elsewhere, I would heartily commend them to anyone if only for the absolute pleasure of the sound of his voice!

Comment

I am big fan of sports biographies. This is what I am up to at the moment:

It's really well written and with lots of personal stuff...

Comment

That Sapiens book is class. Pure brilliance. Actually scratch that Master Algorithm book. Read another chapter on bus on the way home and it's too dense.
                                                    Left me phone at home, bought this at lunch. Finding it hard to put down
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I started an audiobook of the Sirens of Titan on recommendations here. Not too far into it yet but very enjoyable. Only my second Vonnegut book after Slaughterhouse 5.

Comment

I've never tried an audio book, better for fiction than non-fiction or any difference?

I'm reading Utopia for Realists by Rutger Bregman. It's pretty good thus far. I think we'll be hearing alot more of him over the next few years, he's only 28 and appears to be very well received.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                          I've never tried an audio book, better for fiction than non-fiction or any difference?

I'm reading Utopia for Realists by Rutger Bregman. It's pretty good thus far. I think we'll be hearing alot more of him over the next few years, he's only 28 and appears to be very well received.
                                                          A lot of people don't like them, but I've always been a fan. Doesn't make much difference to me whether it's fiction or non-fiction.

Comment

A bargain alert from boards that may be of interest:

Originally posted by tatranska
                                                            saw this on HUKD

Amazon.co.uk

Search kindle books for "a life from beginning to end"

Dozens of free books on some of the great world leaders from Vlad the Impaler to Adolf Hilter to Catherine the Great and Woodrow Wilson.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post

World War Z on audio book is amazing! It is the type of book the medium was designed for IMHO.

Comment

What devices are people using for ebooks? I have a sony z3 tablet that i really like. GF keeps nicking it tho so want to get a decent value one for her. Had a Nexus tablet a few years ago that was savage value, is there a more up to date equivalent?
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                    What devices are people using for ebooks? I have a sony z3 tablet that i really like. GF keeps nicking it tho so want to get a decent value one for her. Had a Nexus tablet a few years ago that was savage value, is there a more up to date equivalent?
                                                                    I use the phone and find it perfect, c. 100 words per page, easily held, auto light adjustment, search and dictionary online, always to hand . Don't see any need for a seperate device.
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I've an old school Kindle
                                                                      It's brill. Gonna update to one with a back light though.
                                                                      I'm not convinced I would like to use my phone as an ereader, form just isnt right
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

kindle paperwhite, great piece of kit. Backlight is adjustable and makes it actually look like a book.

Couldn't use a phone or tablet, ereaders are a pleasure to use.

Comment

Kindle Paperwhite as well. Preferred the physical button on older models for turning the pages though. Think the latest version has reintroduced it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                            I've an old school Kindle
                                                                            It's brill. Gonna update to one with a back light though.
                                                                            I'm not convinced I would like to use my phone as an ereader, form just isnt right
                                                                            i've a Kobo Glo personally. great piece of kit and epub rather than mobi

Comment

Have a kindle touch but never use it, old school paper for me.

Comment

Centaur

SPOILER

Just finished and really enjoyed this book. Thats my yearly quota of 3 books a year done already.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

The first bastards book is great but gave up the second one. Both Rothfuss books are very good but we may never see the third.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                          i've a Kobo Glo personally. great piece of kit and epub rather than mobi
                                                                                          Calibre plus my predilection for life on the high seas means the format is never really an issue

Comment

Tempted by two new fantasy series. The Gentlemen Bastard one of Scott Lynch, and The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Both seem to have phenomenal ratings (The first in Kingkiller Chronicles - The Name of the Wind is ranked 4.55/5 from half a million ratings on goodreads!).

Has anyone read any of those series and have a recommendation as to which to try first?
                                                                                            The first bastards book is amazing. King killer is great. Check out the first book in The Ravens Shadow trilogy called Bloodsong too

Comment

Currently spellbound by the audio version of 'A Man on the Moon' by Andy Chaikin.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                Currently spellbound by the audio version of 'A Man on the Moon' by Andy Chaikin.
                                                                                                I'm going to get on board with the audiobooks from next week. I'm moving home and the train from Kildare to Heuston rarely has seats in the morning so I'll try it for that journey.

I listened to this last night from the author of The Master Algorithm, might be of interest to some here, I think I'll listen again once I read the book.
                                                                                                I'm not a huge fan of the host but he gets some good guests, Tetlock, Zweig and a few others.

Comment

The Master Algorithm covered the best material of any ML book I've read so far, but he's all over the place, if he'd had a good editor it'd have been a way better book.

^ didn't realise that was the fs blog, his interview with Dalio is meant to be good
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-02-18, 11:39.

Comment

...

Comment

The Master Algorithm covered the best material of any ML book I've read so far, but he's all over the place, if he'd had a good editor it'd have been a way better book.

^ didn't realise that was the fs blog, his interview with Dalio is meant to be good
                                                                                                      I found it because he had Naval Ravikant on it who I thought after listening to that Hashpower podcast was excellent.

I listened to the Ryan Holiday one last night too. He's pretty interesting and has some good insights, I'm reading his Daily Stoic book at the minute.
                                                                                                      Basically a stoic quote a day and he explains it. I actually didn't know that was the format and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had known but it's something different.

Comment

Take farming for instance, there's been massive strides made in farm efficiency, new tractors now have a wealth of sensors that can adjust sowing and spraying for each tiny part of a field. The only thing is the likes of John Deere sell this as a service, so accrue a significant portion of the gains.

When it comes to repair, farmers have always been self reliant. But the modernization of tractors and other farm equipment over the past few decades has left...

Comment

A couple of purchases over the weekend:

Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life and John Stuart Mills Subjection of Women. Both IPB inspired.

Half way through "Why we sleep" and as Denny said it is a bit scary. I also overheard someone else say the same last week.
                                                                                                          I knew the poker and night shifts as well as coffee were bad for you but this definitely drives home those suspicions.

Comment

I think I've had about ten people buy that book, wish I was getting royalties.

Comment

Started reading the follow up to Senlin Ascends last week on a whim and enjoying it even more than the first one, a very fun read.

Keeping up on the audiobooks I listened to The Prince by Machiavelli last week which is an interesting short piece. It's a much more sympathetic read than its reputation would suggest, the guy talks sense.

Started listening to Catch-22 this week. I had made the same start several years ago but for whatever reason didn't get into it and never finished it. This time around I'm guffawing constantly - it's absolutely hilarious.

Comment

If any of you are around Trinners tomorrow they have a book sale on. They're re-stocking each day. The place was busy today but it was worth it, picked up a few slightly older books for a fraction of the cost.

I got this in hardback for 3e so probably worth a look for anyone around.

Comment

I use index cards for taking notes on books I read but I've yet to come across any decent boxes or containers for them, any recommendations?

Comment

Ryan Holiday talks extensively about note taking here, perhaps it's worth a listen: https://www.fs.blog/2016/05/ryan-hol...ledge-project/

Comment

Got about one 6th into "portrait of the artist as a young man" and it may be the first book I don't finish.

Comment

I'm about to finish Letters to a Young Contrarian and God is not great by Hitchens.
                                                                                                                        Sam Harris mentioned he tore up a book deal on a Letters to a Young Liberal but may revisit it in the future, I think that could be interesting.
                                                                                                                        I was reading Peterson but I've very much gone off him so I put it down for now. First chapter "Stand up straight with your shoulders back"

I've bought a ton of stuff recently.

The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly and Mortality by Hitchens look to be next.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X