Shoulder press 10x2 @ 8kgs
    Tricep extension 10x2 @ 4kgs
    Sidelifts 10x2 @ 4kgs
    Bicep curls 10x2 @ 4kgs

10/11/13
    Deadlifts 5x50kgs, 5x60kgs, 5x70kgs, 5x75kgs, 5x70kgs, 5x60kgs

2 rounds of Squats, Shoulder Press and lateral raises @ 8kgs
    3 rounds of Squats, Shoulder Press and lateral raises @ 6kgs

These are the only two I've recorded but I've done more. I still have no set routine yet. I'm thinking I'll do deadlifts 5x5 every time, then 15 reps one day, 10 another and then 5 for another day. It's all a bit up in the air so far though. The journey is most of the fun though. All comments and critiques very welcome as well.
    Last edited by Teddie; 14-11-13, 09:58.

What's the goal here? Training history? You training at home or in a gym? Just weight sessions or anything else?

Good luck in any case!!
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

That's a lot of deadlifts!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        What's the goal here? Training history? You training at home or in a gym? Just weight sessions or anything else?

Good luck in any case!!

No set goals really. Generally just enjoy it and get fitter/stronger. I have a few things I'd like to achieve(stuff like Squat/deadlift X amount, X dips/pull ups etc) but I'm not sure I want it to be goals that alter my training to achieve. Trained in a gym before about 5 years ago, no weights since then but have been running for the last year or more. Training in RAW in town and it's just weight sessions so far with a token bit of cardio at the beginning and end.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        That's a lot of deadlifts!

Trying to get the form down. Although I went up to high in the weights I think and it went out the window by 75kgs so that's why I decreased back down. I think I might just cap it at 60kgs for the next few runs.
        Last edited by Teddie; 14-11-13, 10:25.

Comment

Deadlifts:
          5x40kgs. 5x40kgs. 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x40kgs

Squats:
          5x20kgs. 5x20kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 10x30kgs, 10x20kgs

3 rounds of Shoulder press 8x8kgs, sides raises 8x4kgs, tricep extension 8x4kgs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First time I've ever done a barbell squat, felt weird. Hard to get used to balancing it at first.

Took a video of my deadlifts but the quality isn't great. Think my technique needs a bit of work though, I seemed to have round back at the top and my feels left the floor which I don't think should happen. Next time I'm in I'll write a list of steps(mainly found from youtube videos) I need to do and follow that so any advice on what the steps should be?

1. feet hip witdh apart
          2. feet under the bar
          3. hips back, chest up(looking for an arch in the lower
          4. grab bar
          5. pull shoulder blades back
          6. Big breathe and hold it in
          7. stand up and during standing up...
          8. Aim to press heels into the floor
          9. and move the hips and the chest.

Anything I've got wrong/am missing? Previously I've not been doing steps 5,6,7 or 8 correctly and steps 1 and 2 might not have been perfect either.

Comment

Just to comment on the goal setting, I appreciate enjoying the exercise but I think goal setting can ultimately increase the enjoyment.
            Setting goals means better structure and ultimately better results.
            I attended a lecture last night based on balancing sport and college/work life. Most well known speakers were Donnacha Ryan, John Mullane and Colin Regan.
            Throughout the entire lecture all the speakers referred to goal setting as a major contributor to their success.
            Perhaps you don't know what you want to achieve from exercise which is fine and although their situation is different because they are competing at a high level but setting goals sooner rather than later will definitely help.
            Gl with it.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
              Just to comment on the goal setting, I appreciate enjoying the exercise but I think goal setting can ultimately increase the enjoyment.
              Setting goals means better structure and ultimately better results.
              I attended a lecture last night based on balancing sport and college/work life. Most well known speakers were Donnacha Ryan, John Mullane and Colin Regan.
              Throughout the entire lecture all the speakers referred to goal setting as a major contributor to their success.
              Perhaps you don't know what you want to achieve from exercise which is fine and although their situation is different because they are competing at a high level but setting goals sooner rather than later will definitely help.
              Gl with it.

You're probably right and I'm sure I will set goals. I think in saying I'm not setting goals was more an attempt to get across I wouldn't be following a very structured work-out like most people do. I know it's common to have a set routine like 5x5 Chest/biceps, legs, Back/triceps or some variant of that. I've goals already in mind as what I'd like to do but I'll taking a different path to what is probably recommended to achieve those goals as that's what I should have said from the start.

Even if you don't write them down I think it's natural for everyone who does weights to think "I'd like to be able to lift X amount someday". I want to make sure I shape my routine around having fun while trying to achieve goals rather than shaping my routine around achieving my goals if that makes sense.

Comment

Yeah definitely shape it around what you enjoy. Personally my out workouts are going through a transition. I used all summer to drop weight and get cardiovascular fit. Now that I have achieved that and continuously maintaining/slightly improving that, I have begun to move away from the standard back/bicep, chest/tricep etc.
                Way more metcon, speed, flexibility and power work now. Newest goal is adding inches to my jump for basketball so I'll see how that goes.
                As I said gl with it and hopefully you keep it up

Comment

Goals:

Deadlift: 75kgs, 100kgs, 125kgs, 150kgs
                  Squat: 65kgs, 75kgs, 100kgs, 125kgs

Dips: 5/10/15/20
                  chin-ups: 5/10/15/20
                  pull-ups: 5/10/15/20

Comment

Have you seen something like Starting Strength through for six months or so?
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Have you seen something like Starting Strength through for six months or so?

No. Last gym I was in was terrible. Only had a smith machine so I didn't do squats and it wasn't very big so doing deadlifts weren't always possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                        No. Last gym I was in was terrible. Only had a smith machine so I didn't do squats and it wasn't very big so doing deadlifts weren't always possible.
                        Well I suppose you knew what my next post would be! If you have strength goals, the most efficient way to start working towards them is through simple progressive programming aiming to have limited work sets but adding weight each time.

Comment

Well I suppose you knew what my next post would be! If you have strength goals, the most efficient way to start working towards them is through simple progressive programming aiming to have limited work sets but adding weight each time.

It's something I'll look at alright. I'd rather go with 5x5 program if I'm going down that route though. 5x3 is a bit boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie;
                            I'd rather go with 5x5 program if I'm going down that route though. 5x3 is a bit boring.
                            What do you find biting about 5x3, that's not a part of 5x5.

Comment

Am on week 3 of strong lifts 5x5, gets a bit repetitive alright but I find the constant increasing weights enough motivation to keep it interesting so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                What do you find biting about 5x3, that's not a part of 5x5.

After 3 sets you're just getting into it I find so seems like a waste to stop their. I suppose I could just increase the warm-up or something but then why not just do a 5x5 program? Also I think starting out doing more reps will be better for me as it allows more practice on form.

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                Am on week 3 of strong lifts 5x5, gets a bit repetitive alright but I find the constant increasing weights enough motivation to keep it interesting so far.

I basically need to do either/ideally both squats or deadlifts in the gym to keep me happy. That kind of limits my options in terms of other weights options though.

Comment

Quickly learning the problem with not having a set routine. I waste far to much time wondering what to do rather than doing it so that's one I think I need to rectify asap. I think I'll go with 3 days of

Deadslifts 5x5
                                  Squats 5x5
                                  Bench 5x5
                                  Shoulder press 5x5
                                  Felxibility and core work

Today was the first time I tried deadlifts with the strict form. I found it quick uncomfortable at the bottom of the position in my calves so I need to work on my flexibility. This makes the rest of the lift quite difficult, found myself getting sore in the lower back by the 3rd set.

Deadlifts: 5x40kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x20kgs.

Dumb-bell squats: 8x10kgs, 8x10kgs, 8x1okgs.

Lunges: 10xnothing, 10x5kgs, 10x12.5kgs

First time doing lunges so started off easy then was happy to push it for last set.

Comment

After 3 sets you're just getting into it I find so seems like a waste to stop their. I suppose I could just increase the warm-up or something but then why not just do a 5x5 program? Also I think starting out doing more reps will be better for me as it allows more practice on form.
                                    If 3 work sets feel a little easy now, they they just haven't gotten heavy enough yet. They will pretty quick. I normally recommend people people so 5x5 initally, then drop to 3x5 when it gets heavier.

*Work sets. You know that the 5x5/3 refers to heaviest sets only. The work set.
                                    Warm up sets aren't counted. I've seen people make that mistake before. and it might explain your comments about 5 vrs 3.

Eg, the deadlift sets above;
                                    Deadlifts: 5x40kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x20kgs.
                                    ...is 50kg 5x3, even though there's 5 sets. You hit it so move to 55kg next time.

Today was the first time I tried deadlifts with the strict form. I found it quick uncomfortable at the bottom of the position in my calves so I need to work on my flexibility. This makes the rest of the lift quite difficult, found myself getting sore in the lower back by the 3rd set.
                                    I once heard somebody comment that optimal form for bench, squat and deadlifts means your body is rigid and tensed is various directions which necessarily a comfortable position.

That said, there prob is an ankle flex issue here too. And lower back pain would suggest hip or thoracic mobility issues too

Comment

If 3 work sets feel a little easy now, they they just haven't gotten heavy enough yet. They will pretty quick. I normally recommend people people so 5x5 initally, then drop to 3x5 when it gets heavier.

*Work sets. You know that the 5x5/3 refers to heaviest sets only. The work set.
                                      Warm up sets aren't counted. I've seen people make that mistake before. and it might explain your comments about 5 vrs 3.

Eg, the deadlift sets above;

...is 50kg 5x3, even though there's 5 sets. You hit it so move to 55kg next time.

What's a general warm-up routine then? I know I'm meant to move up weight once I hit it but until my form gets better I think it's safer to just stick to 50kgs for the moment. Also one of the reasons I did 5x5 was because it allows more reps and hence more practice but I suppose I could just do that with warm-ups.

I once heard somebody comment that optimal form for bench, squat and deadlifts means your body is rigid and tensed is various directions which necessarily a comfortable position.

That said, there prob is an ankle flex issue here too. And lower back pain would suggest hip or thoracic mobility issues too

The problem occurs before I do the usually procedures. I get the feet position, then bend down and grab the bar and as soon as I do that I'm thinking "ugh this uncomfortable". Then I'll square the shoulders, straight the back etc so feeling pain from simply getting into intial position can't be good. It also means that I'm naturally eager to stand up out of the stance asap to stop the discomfort which leads to me rushing it.

Know of a good source for flexibility guides?

Comment

Here's what SL recommends for 5x5 v 5x3, increasing 2.5kg per workout when you succeed..

• If you miss 5x5, try it again next workout. If you miss the same weight in three consecutive workouts, deload for that exercise only.
                                        • Deload after three missed attempts with the same weight by lowering the weight by 10% for that exercise only. Increase the weight in 5lb increments from there.
                                        • Keep doing StrongLifts 5x5 for as long as it works; don't start changing things for no reason.
                                        • After two deloads on squats, switch from 5x5 to 3x5.
                                        • After another two deloads on squats, switch from 3x5 to 1x5.

On stretching/flexibility I've been recommended this website - http://www.bodytrainer.tv/en/strengt...ing/index.html

Comment

What's a general warm-up routine then? I know I'm meant to move up weight once I hit it but until my form gets better I think it's safer to just stick to 50kgs for the moment. Also one of the reasons I did 5x5 was because it allows more reps and hence more practice but I suppose I could just do that with warm-ups.
                                          I try to include as much dynamic movement in my warm-up as possible. giving a bit of extra attention to my main lift that day.

For deadlifts day it might be:
                                          Foam roll quads, hips, calves.
                                          Thoracic (upper back) stretch over roller
                                          Ankle wall stretch
                                          Fire hydrants
                                          Mountain climbers
                                          Leg raises/front kicks

At least that what it should be when I don't rush.
                                          DeFranco recommends something similar, DeFranco's Agile 8

From there, I work from and empty bar to the work set. So;
                                          20kg x 5 (stiff leg or romanian deadlift)
                                          40kg x 5
                                          50kg x 5 x 3

So 5x3 is still 5 sets total. If the work set was over 100kg, there would be more warm up sets making it 7 or 8 total.

From what you describe, it sounds like its a flex/mobility issue. It's definitely a good idea correct this before you push the load upwards. However, if plates you are using to make up 50kg are smaller than 20kg plates you could be making it harder for yourself as the bar is lower with smaller plates.

Really stretch and warm up before the nest set, and it 50kg feel better then I'd try move to 60kg and practice there, as thats the correct deadlift height.
                                          If you are using full sized 10kg/15kg then you can ignore comments about bar height.

Comment

those are mostly static stretches. Youll get better and easier results with dynamic stretching as part of your warm up.
                                            something like this:
                                            These dynamic stretches will ensure your body is fully warmed up and help prevent any injuries during your main workout.Never static stretch cold muscles and...

Really try to get more range on every rep.

Also head to mobilitywod.com and start from video one, do one or 2 videos a day and you'll be bendy as fuck in no time.

For warming up for strong lifts you can similar to the video, then get into a full squat position for 1-2 minutes. then move to the barbell. you know your work weight will be xxkg so go from an empty bar in increments until you hit your work weight doing 3-8 reps of each, I do:
                                            8xbar
                                            8x40
                                            5x70
                                            3x95
                                            work sets of 100
                                            The 8 reps of light weight are quick with correct form, more like an extension of the dynamic warm up. During this time im exploring my range of motion to find any tight area where I will do more dynamic stretches or maybe some band assisted work during my rest times.

by the time i get close to my work weight im fully able to reach my full range of motion.

You can still do the static stretches either after your workout or during. Youll see more change that way.
                                            Last edited by thegreatiam; 19-11-13, 10:39.

Comment

Mellor - Yea I use the 15kgs for the extra height, tempted to use the 20's last time but also think keeping it at 15's will be a good measure of how I am improving in terms of flexibility.

Thanks for the video greataim, looks very useful. Where are the video's on the molbity worl site? It says I need to be a member to watch the daily RX ones.

On the issue of dynamic vs static, which should I do on my off days? Currently when I wake up or go to bed I do about 10 minutes of static stretching but would I be better of dong dynamic?

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatiam View Post
                                                those are mostly static stretches. Youll get better and easier results with dynamic stretching as part of your warm up.
                                                Edit: Edit thought you were talking to me, was a bit confused.

I'd agree with "Dynamic is better than static", especially before workouts. But its not a rules that applies universally. Some exceptions imo.

The last one from DeFrancos list I posted is static, the hip flexor stretch. The reason being, this muscle directly opposes and restricts hip extension.
                                                K-Starr (mobilitywod.com) also recommends static hip flexor stretching for the same reasons.

For something to do before every lower body workout, you won't go far wrong with that Agile 8. I know there are more comprehensive routines, but personally if they are too long I know I won't bother.

Mellor - Yea I use the 15kgs for the extra height, tempted to use the 20's last time but also think keeping it at 15's will be a good measure of how I am improving in terms of flexibility.
                                                If you can get to 20kgs soon it would be best to nail your form down from there. I honestly think a good proper warm-up will make a big difference in how you feel in the set up.

Thanks for the video greataim, looks very useful. Where are the video's on the molbity worl site? It says I need to be a member to watch the daily RX ones.
                                                The new ones (ie daily R'X ones) are member only. But all the old stuff should still be there, definitely more than enough. Go back to the very start, try the wall stretch, its horrible but worth it.

On the issue of dynamic vs static, which should I do on my off days? Currently when I wake up or go to bed I do about 10 minutes of static stretching but would I be better of dong dynamic?
                                                Dynamic before working out to prep for movement. Static stretches weaken muscles so it shouldn't be done immediately before workout out. Hip flexors are an exception as I mentioned above.

In terms of off days. If it's just something quick getting in/out of bed, I'd stick with dynamic. But you could also do some static holds watching TV (K-Starr's couch stretch is good).

There's more advanced forms too that will be better results, but they're horrible, keep it simple for now.
                                                Last edited by Mellor; 20-11-13, 02:21.

Comment

Did you quote the wrong post?

Pretty sure he's referring to the link in bohsman post.

Comment

yueah, I think you are right. Missed that post and was confused for a bit.

Comment

Yes, mellor, for some reason I dint see your post before I entered mine. I was referring to the link from bohsman. I didnt mean to imply that static stretching is bad or wrong. But for that specific requirement then dynamic will give better results.

I wouldnt really say that dynamic is better than static, but static does get more attention but in incorrect ways. People should be doing both, usually dynamic as a warm up and static as a cool down.

For example you'll often see people warming up by pulling their arm across their chest. This is usually doing nothing for them.

They would be better off doing a series of arm swings.

Try to use a variety of dynamic and static stretches, but if you only have time to do one. Then, as mellor says, go dynamic.

For the mobilitywod site: it is a series of daily vlogs, where he teaches you an exercise a day to work on troubled areas. Its progressive, each day refers to the previous day (usually)
                                                      Start at video one and go through them in sequence for the best results. If you have certain trouble spots then you can add them in as you go. You get about 2 years worth of free and useful videos before he starts to charge. So take advantage of his generosity.

Video one challenge is 10 minutes of accumulated time in a full squat. Its a bitch of a thing to do but after a while it becomes easy.
                                                      Last edited by thegreatiam; 20-11-13, 10:58.

Comment

Found the videos on the mobility site, look excellent. Should I wait until I can complete them until I move on? Last about 30 seconds in the squat position.

Comment

That one is especially useful imo.
                                                          It's 10 minutes accumulative, so if you last 30 seconds, get back down as many times as need. You'll prob be able for longer periods each time. When I first did it I had to break it into 4 blocks, but the last I tried I manged 13-15 mins in one go.

I'd try complete that before the nest one. I think its the wall/couch hip flexor stretch. I struggle with one. Should prob give it another try.

Comment

Found the videos on the mobility site, look excellent. Should I wait until I can complete them until I move on? Last about 30 seconds in the squat position.
                                                            If I were you I would watch the fist 6 or so videos. He outline in each one what to do. the first one is spend 10 minutes total in a squat. The second is a couch stretch i think, he says to 2 minutes on each leg and the rest on the squat. 3rd is an ankle stretch, 4 minutes on each leg the rest on the squat. and it progress like that.

But dont limit your self to that, do it as much and as often as you can

Then spend a while each day on each exercise.

When I started I couldnt even get into a squat position, now I can spend a good few minutes with my butt almost on my heels.

Find some way to incorporate it into your day. For example I used to have a coal fire, so I would spend 5-6 minutes a day squating as I lit the fire.
                                                            I would have to stand up every 30 seconds or so and use the mantle to support me but eventually I could get it lit in one squat. That way I never needed to "make time" from my schedule.

Do the couch stretch as you watch tv.
                                                            If you have kids or pets then squat down at their height for a few minutes each day.

Soon you will notice small improvements.

Add all of this to your regular mobility work outs. Its not a matter of
                                                            "I did 5 minutes of stretching this morning im good til tomorrow." Im always stretching something, right now I am sat with my legs extended stretching my calfs.

Comment

Did the dynamic warm up in the video, didn't have much time so went straight into the 5x5.

Deadlifts: 5x50kgs, 5x50khgs, 50x55kgs, 5x60kgs, 5x60kgs.

Found it much easier in the bottom position. By the 4th-5th set I found the lifts more of struggle. Found it hard to hold the breath and also felt my core give out. Started to use my back to lift by the 5th set rather then the heels+hips drive. Might aim to finished my set @ 60kgs and up it by 5kgs each set.

Squat: 5x20kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 5x45kgs.

Squats seemed fine, will try record some for myself to see how I do. Find them a lot eaiser than the DL's so far.

Bench: 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs, 5x25kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x30kgs.

Started fine then struggled at bit for the last set. Might aim for 35kgs on the last set tomorrow.

Dumbell Shoulder Press: 5x8kgs, 5x8kgs, 5x10kgs, 5x10kgs, 5x10kgs

Between the first 3 reps I kept hold of the weight and did some half lateral raises. 5 set was a real struggle.

Comment

5x5 isn't 5x5 for Deadlifts.

The best 5×5 workout guide on the entire Internet. Discover how to build strength and muscle doing only three full body workouts per week.

Don't think I'd be putting that many reps in myself, ever.

Also, do the exercise in the order posted. Squats first. Want to be as fresh as possible for them.
                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 21-11-13, 17:31.

Comment

Not too pushed on sticking with a strict program yet. Starting out the more deadlifts I can do the better in terms of getting my form down I think. Also, I do want to be ay peak for deadlifts to help keep form strict. So far I've not had much trouble with the squats.
                                                                  Last edited by Teddie; 21-11-13, 19:51.

Comment

The program works. Well. I've done it, and am back at it again now with a beginner. I would absolutely say stick to it, don't deviate, follow it as closely as you can. It's well known because it's simple and it's a safe way of learning and progressing, and it gets results.

FWIW - You can't be at peak lifting a 5th set of Deadlifts at anywhere near a work weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                      The program works. Well. I've done it, and am back at it again now with a beginner. I would absolutely say stick to it, don't deviate, follow it as closely as you can. It's well known because it's simple and it's a safe way of learning and progressing, and it gets results.

FWIW - You can't be at peak lifting a 5th set of Deadlifts at anywhere near a work weight.

I'd be at peak from the start compared to how I'd be if I did squats first is what I meant. I enjoy deadlifts so like to do alot of them. I hate rows also. Wouldn't enjoy the gym as much if I had to do those lifts more than deadlifts.

Comment

I'd be at peak from the start compared to how I'd be if I did squats first is what I meant. I enjoy deadlifts so like to do alot of them. I hate rows also. Wouldn't enjoy the gym as much if I had to do those lifts more than deadlifts.
                                                                        Certainly better to go to the gym and enjoy yourself than to not go at all but for proper progress I really would recommend following a programme. If you did Starting Strength you would be doing power cleans instead of rows.

Comment

I LOVE Deadlifts! The ultimate no bullshit lift.

But my coach rarely lets me train it. Training it often is frowned upon for numerous reasons and when it gets heavy you won't be able to sustain it.

Keep trucking though. Once you're doing stuff regularly that's a good start.

Comment

Certainly better to go to the gym and enjoy yourself than to not go at all but for proper progress I really would recommend following a programme. If you did Starting Strength you would be doing power cleans instead of rows.

DOubt I could do power cleans yet, very poor flexibility in my shoulders. Would my current program not be a decent enough one though? The aim was to cover the major exercises with the aim to give me a foundation in terms of strength and flexibility in the major muscle groups. Added bonus of enjoying pretty much all the exercises too.

I LOVE Deadlifts! The ultimate no bullshit lift.

But my coach rarely lets me train it. Training it often is frowned upon for numerous reasons and when it gets heavy you won't be able to sustain it.

Keep trucking though. Once you're doing stuff regularly that's a good start.

Numerous for yourself or in general? If it's a general thing I'd like to hear. Always thought the deadlift was a great exercise once the form is right.

Comment

#39

Explanation from the 5x5 site why they only do 1x5 on DL - http://stronglifts.com/why-deadlifts...ts-5x5-squats/

I'm really new to all this so can't really argue for or against programes, just figure if SL and SS work for a lot of people without any major arguments against it it must be fairly well balanced and would take a lot of reading up to make your own program anywhere near as good or balanced. I wouldn't be sure about DL, OHP and Bench Press all on the one day for example.

At a guess the above table would keep you happy till you have better flexibility.

Comment

#40
                                                                                I'd recommend sticking with 1x5 for deadlifts once you get going. I think its ok to do higher volume to get the form right but only is they are light.
                                                                                If you feel like this;
                                                                                Found it hard to hold the breath and also felt my core give out. Started to use my back to lift by the 5th set rather then the heels+hips drive.
                                                                                I'd stop straight away.

Once you change focus to increasing the weight. I'd be doing as few warm up sets as possible and a single work set. You might end up doing 5 sets once the weight 100kg or above, but the jumps between weights need to be large so that you haven't lifted a massive total by the 5th set. Bigger jumps from set to set are better.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  didn't get to read Mellors or bohsman posts last night but those are probably the final nail in the 5x5 deadlift coffin for the moment. Had more of a think about Emmets/Mellors previous post and as Mellor also points out above I realised doing 5x5 and being knackered by the end last two sets that form goes to pieces it's probably better too drop the sets so I tweaked it a bit this morning.

Deadlifts:
                                                                                  warm-up 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs
                                                                                  5x40, 5x45, 5x50

Three sets felt a lot better, I think if/when I reach a high level then dropping down again would be needed but for the time being 3 sets is quite manageable.

Squats: Warm-up 5xbody 5x20kgs
                                                                                  5x30kgs, 5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x45kgs.

Happy enough with the Squats. Still not found them hugely taxing but when doing them on my own far cautious about not failing on them. Also still figuring out where my level is at. 4th set felt a bit tough on the last rep but on the 5th set I did feel I could have moved up to 50kgs.

Bench:
                                                                                  5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30, 5x30,

Last set was a struggle, definitely wouldn't have been confident finishing it off at 35kgs. Might go for the 2.5kgs increase next time. Looking at it if I can do 3 sets of 30kgs their should be room for increase.

Shoulder
                                                                                  5x20, 5x25, 5x25

Was fuck'd after the third set. Might consider moving bench press before squats to give shoulder a bit more recovery.

Legs raises 3x8 and crunches 3x8
                                                                                  Finished two dips as well, once goal achieved already - ship it. Then did 3x5 press-ups.

Comment

#42

Explanation from the 5x5 site why they only do 1x5 on DL - http://stronglifts.com/why-deadlifts...ts-5x5-squats/

I'm really new to all this so can't really argue for or against programes, just figure if SL and SS work for a lot of people without any major arguments against it it must be fairly well balanced and would take a lot of reading up to make your own program anywhere near as good or balanced. I wouldn't be sure about DL, OHP and Bench Press all on the one day for example.

At a guess the above table would keep you happy till you have better flexibility.

I definitely understand the argument for picking a program and going with it, but I do enjoy the trial and error method so far. It's like taking a car journey. Most people will want to get from A to B in the quickest time possible which is what a structured program will do in terms of weight lifting but for me doing weights I'd rather take the more scenic route. It will probably take me longer, but it will also be more interesting for me and I do think I'll learn more this way. So far I've learnt a good bit that I don't think would have happened if I'd done a structured program. It's also lead to some great tips and advice posted. If I'd simply said on the OP "I'm doing Starting strength, here it is" I doubt I'd have gotten much advice/feedback.

On that program you posted, it looks good. But to me it just seems very little. 20 minutes and I'd be finished, which with high intensity might be good but I can't imagine being that gassed that I'd want to stop after 20 minutes.

I'd recommend sticking with 1x5 for deadlifts once you get going. I think its ok to do higher volume to get the form right but only is they are light.
                                                                                    If you feel like this;

I'd stop straight away.

Once you change focus to increasing the weight. I'd be doing as few warm up sets as possible and a single work set. You might end up doing 5 sets once the weight 100kg or above, but the jumps between weights need to be large so that you haven't lifted a massive total by the 5th set. Bigger jumps from set to set are better.

This is definitely becoming obvious to me now. I think once I get to the stage where I'm breaking down on the third set or else my squats are becoming more demanding then I'll need to re-jig my routine. For the time being I'm going to take it slow with the weight increases though. Also it works fine with the bench and Squat because I'm starting out with just the bar so I can't really go lower for a warm-up anyway.
                                                                                    Last edited by Teddie; 22-11-13, 16:17.

Comment

#43

On that program you posted, it looks good. But to me it just seems very little. 20 minutes and I'd be finished, which with high intensity might be good but I can't imagine being that gassed that I'd want to stop after 20 minutes.
                                                                                      I've been doing the 5x5 day on day off ignoring weekends, with the increases I may not be gassed but my arms and legs are shattered by the end of it. Am also at the stage where I'm failing OHP at 30kg and close to failing bench, 32.5kg up next.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        No room for deadlifts so started in a different order.

Squats:
                                                                                        Warm-up 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs

5x35kgs, 5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs

Felt fine, last set was a bit of struggle. Bar felt a good bit heavier on my shoulders. Definitely seemed like a much bigger jump than 5kgs, bound to happen though.

Bench:
                                                                                        5x20kgs, 5x20kgs, 5x25kgs, 5x30kgs, 5x35kgs.

Finally looked up how to do a bench press on youtube before this and realised I was doing it all wrong. Felt bit eaiser with better form but last set was tough, especially last few reps. I think next time I'll do 5x20 then two sets at 25kgs and finish on 35kgs.

Shoulder Dumbell press:
                                                                                        5x10kgs, 5x10kgs, 5x10kgs

Was wrecked after 3rd set. Need to space between this one and bench.

Deadlift:
                                                                                        warm-up: 5x20kgs, 5x20kgs

5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs.

Felt good on the dead's.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Today was an enjoyable struggle.

Deadlifts:
                                                                                          warm up: 5x20, 5x20, 5x20

5x50, 5x55, 5x60

Bench:
                                                                                          5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35

Last set wasn't too bad. Not sure If I just increase the end weight or just move the two sets to 30kgs as planned. Will see how I get on after my first 30kg set next time.

Squat:
                                                                                          Warm-up 5x20

5x40kgs, 5x45kgs, 5x50kgs, 5x55kgs, 5x60kgs.

Knew from the warm-up this would be a struggle. Thought at 40 that I'd have little chance to finish at 60kgs. After the 4th set I was just going to try 55 again but decided to give 60 a bash. Very tough, not sure how much depth I got though.

Should Press:
                                                                                          5x20, 5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30

Again very difficult by the last set. Although first time I've managed the five sets so happy with that.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Did a 3km run at the weekend, first time in a while and did it in 14:55. Not great and legs were fairly sore for a few days after it.

Deadlifts:
                                                                                            Warm-up 5x20, 5x20, 5x20

5x50, 5x55, 5x65.

Jumped 10kgs for the last set. I think incrementing in 5's is just going to take to much out of me for the last set. Record the last two sets so will have a look at them later.

Bench:
                                                                                            5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x40

Very pleased with bench. First time I've been able to add weights for each set.

Squat:
                                                                                            Warm - up - 5 body squats, 5x20
                                                                                            5x35, 5x40, 5x45, 5x55, 5x65.

Decided to do the same as with deadlifts. Last set was okay.

Shoulder press:
                                                                                            5x20, 5x25, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30

Happy enough. Improvement from last time.
                                                                                            Last edited by Teddie; 03-12-13, 18:07.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Looking at the video my form is still pretty poor. Can't get down low enough to be comfortable. Is doing deadlifts not using the full ROM in a squat rack okay?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Looking at the video my form is still pretty poor. Can't get down low enough to be comfortable. Is doing deadlifts not using the full ROM in a squat rack okay?
                                                                                                I can't easily get into a good position either, so I half squat down lower than I need to, grab the bar and then raise my ass to get into position:

Also more hip, glute and hamstring mobility work.

You can also consider some top down exercises like Top Pull Deadlifts or RDLs.

Form being poor at this point is fine!! Fix it rather than giving up and going to rack pulls though.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Should have said, the plan was to go to rack pulls while I continue to work on flexibility. The aim is definitely to be able to do proper DL's. I'm just not sure if a few weeks doing rack pulls while working on flexibility is better/worse/no different then plugging away at what I'm currently doing but go back to lowering the weight.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Deadlifts:

I went with the rack option and had the bar set at about knee height. Looking at more videos online and my own form I noticed that when I reach standing position and go back down I don't just tilt my back forward and then bend the hips when I reach knee level. I tend to tip the back and bend at the same time. Bar is then shooting out infront of me rather than being tight into my thighs. didn't go into the routine with any set idea on weight/sets. I think I'll start putting deadlifts at the end when I am fully warmed up and more flexible as well. Starting them first when I have flexibility issues isn't ideal probably.

5x20, 5x30, 5x30, 5x40, 5x45

Should Press:
                                                                                                    5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 4x35

first time I've failed on a weight, disappointing but bound to happen soon enough.

Squats:
                                                                                                    Warm-up 5x20, 5x20
                                                                                                    5x40, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x65

up to 55 it was fairly easy, last set wasn't easy. 10kgs away from squating body weight so hopefully have that chalked off by the end of next week.

Bench:
                                                                                                    5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x40, 5x40.

Just managed to finish out the last few reps on the last set. Did my ab stuff before bench due to someone using it so pretty happy with it though considering was the very last exercise I did for the day.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Why don't you sort your flexibility issues before you start deadlifting?

You'll never get a strong deadlift if you arent flexible enough to get into the position.
                                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Seems to make more sense to me anyway to work on the parts of the DL I can do instead of not doing it at all. If I don't do it now then when I'm flexible I'll need to work on everything, where as if I keep doing what I'm doing now I should just need to worry on the lower part once my flexibility is sorted. Open to suggestions on it, but from what I've read doing racked DL's is fine if you can't do full ones.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          They are absolutely fine but do them AND do some flexibility work, you'll get into a better habit as well.

If you were to Deadlift normally now it'd be like trying to drive a car while hovering over the seat. You could do it but it'd be much easier to sit into it properly.

My Deadlift form is shocking so pinch of salt and all that.
                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Ah yea I am doing flexibility work as well, didn't make that very clear at first. Hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to do the regular deadlifts. Also think breaking it down will help overall. I find it very hard to remember all the necessary movements/positions/tips etc for the deadlift so having to just learn half and working on that half on it's own should make it stick in the memory easier.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Back to back days which I wasn't looking forward too.

Sqauts:

Warm-up 5x20, 5x20, 5x20.

5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 5x60, 5x70

Last set was pretty bad in terms of form, I'd say it was half repping all of the way. I think the problem is I was to eager to push on and reach 75kg's so I forced the increases a bit. For the next two sessions I am going to max out and 70kgs and try aim for depth.

Deadlift:
                                                                                                              Warm-up 10x20, 10x20, 10x30

5x35, 5x40, 5x45

Again the bar was set at about knee height. It's going to be a long battle to get everything down right and fluid. Very slow movement and stopping at the top and bottom to make sure I have everything set.

Shoulder Press:
                                                                                                              5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x30, 5x35

Glad to finish last set after last time. Last rep was a struggle though. Trying aim for two sets of 35 next time and I'll be delighted if I manage that.

Bench press was busy all the time so couldn't do that. Did 3x5 push-ups instead. Nothing like some push-ups to make you feel weak.

Core work:
                                                                                                              3x8 lying leg raises - these after bad for my lower back, need to find something else
                                                                                                              2x8 crunches - should probably introduce weights at this stage(?)
                                                                                                              3x15 second planks.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Went out last weekend drinking and was in bits all week. ugh. Being busy this week didn't help either. Finally managed to drag myself to the gym today.

Squats:
                                                                                                                warm-up 10x20, 10x 20
                                                                                                                5x45, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 20x40kgs

Wanted to do something different after the last sessions. Made more of an effort to go as deep as I could. Found 55kgs very tough and doubt I would have managed 60kgs so finished off with something dfferent.

Shoulder press:
                                                                                                                5x20, 5x25, 5x30, 5x35, 5x30

Difficult 4th set @ 35kgs. Up until then I felt pretty good. Might aim for the two at 35 next time depending on how I get on before.

Deadlifts (Half ROM, bar set just about knee height)
                                                                                                                5x30, 5x30, 5x40, 5x45

Slowly improving and getting more fluid in the reps.

Bench:

Felt good with this one. 40's at the end weren't to bad.

Overall pleased enough I kept it at the same level considering the last week my diet has been non-existent.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Ugh, only realised it was nearly a full month since I was last in the gym when I came in here to post. Fuck'n Christmas & lack of self discipline.

Bench:

Squat:
                                                                                                                  5x 20 warm-up
                                                                                                                  5x40, 5x45, 5x50 ,5x55, 5x60

Felt good, seemed like I could go deeper as well. Hit the holding bar thingy a few times which I'd never done before.

Shoulder:
                                                                                                                  5x20, 5x25,5x30,5x35, 4x35.

Felt grand until the 2nd last set then it seemed to nose dive. 5th set was horrible, wobblying it all over the place.

Half-Deadlifts:
                                                                                                                  5x40, 5x50, 5x55

Getting better with the top part of the DL, spending less time reseting at the top and the movement seems smoother.

Got Kelly Starrett 'How to become a supple leopard' for Christmas to going to give it a good bash now.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Half-Deadlifts:
                                                                                                                    5x40, 5x50, 5x55
                                                                                                                    I imagine what you doing are rack pulls. Just in case you want to do a bit of googling on how to get the most out of them.

Got Kelly Starrett 'How to become a supple leopard' for Christmas to going to give it a good bash now.
                                                                                                                    Got this also.
                                                                                                                    You should include the initial tests, and later fixes, that you do in the log. I'll try to do the same. Hips are my worst spot, probably due all day in a chair.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      I imagine what you doing are rack pulls. Just in case you want to do a bit of googling on how to get the most out of them.

Got this also.
                                                                                                                      You should include the initial tests, and later fixes, that you do in the log. I'll try to do the same. Hips are my worst spot, probably due all day in a chair.

Just getting the bracing sequence down is going to be an achievement, I don't actually really understand what he wants from the book. Even standing and pointing my feet straight ahead will be very strange to get used to. I think this is the first time I've tried to re-train something that comes natural in my adult life so it's going to be an interesting experience.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Disaster session today. firstly I forgot my sweat towel which is pretty much the nut worst thing to forget(I don't shower in the gym so no towel at all).

Squats:
                                                                                                                        5x20, 5x20, 5x20
                                                                                                                        5x40, 5x45, 5x50, 5x55, 2x60

Disaster number two happened here when I reached the bottom of the second squad and then got a sharpish pain in my lower back on the left. Squeezed out another half rep and then felt it was wiser to just stop.

Very annoying, hoping it was only a minor pain but it's still noticeable now so probaly won't be gone by tomorrow like I'm wishing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X