Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'm with limpwhacker.

Limp whack the fook out of that.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Presume it'll be a bit like the lifting the death penalty from the constitution referendum, with no-one seriously debating either side.
        There was no balance rule then. If someone is on in favour of repeal, they must have a counter.

Not sure of the timeline of that rule though, is it from official announcement?

Comment

Comment

Baby bleus showing the baby blacks how it's done. Fantastic performance.!

Comment

Doing tests today on readability of economics documents (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readability) and then equating that readability with some subsequent performance measures.

Used to take ages to do readability tests. The person I'm working with spent at least a year of her (recent) PhD semi-manually calculating some readability scores for about 600 documents.

But found a new Python package tonight that after a bit of adjusting calculated the same readability scores for 1500 documents in about 5 seconds. In the space of those 5 seconds it read an excel sheet, spat out 1,500 text files, then sucked the text files back in and did rather complicated analysis of them resulting in about 15,000 test statistics being produced.

These machines are crazy the stuff they can do!
              what % is the match with a human assessment of readability though?
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That masterclass site sure has an interesting business model.

Comment

Have a friend selling 2 tickets for Liam Gallagher in Malahide Castle on Friday night. Face value €50 but IPB discount is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                    I was in Ibiza in the first week of April.

We parked a rental car outside the hotel waiting for them to drop out a permit. Between checking in and getting a permit, we got a ticket which we ignored.

Just got a letter in the post from Spanish authorities offering a 50% discount on the fine if I pay the fine within 20 days or they go legal.

What's my play here?
                    Ah no, ah no. Come on now. How is this even possible, how can people be this blase. The wondering would I get subsequently done would consume me for the rest of the holiday unless I got it sorted there and then. And even then Id be doubtful and assessing the employee who told me not to worry from afar. If I ever seen him in passing being jocular with colleagues id be like 'I knew it. That bastard is a fcukin waffler i bet you anything i get the fine'.

Nevertheless I admire your cavalier attitude. Would love to be able to be like you in that sense.

fwiw pay the 50%. Listening to a couple similar stories on the radio over the last while and theres no avoiding paying. Not worth further hassle by not paying it.

Comment

Just back from spending €2m of tax payers money on a machine than can deposit a single layer of atoms at a time, and then tell you the exact chemical interaction with the layer below it. Think it's one of only a couple in the world and definitely the best one.

Comment

I think Hitch's advice is the soundest...

Comment

My son is approaching 'driving age' and I'm considering buying him a car.
                          If a car is priced at say 2850 by a garage, what's the expected price to pay after a bit of wrangling, I presume they're always marked up a bit from a price they'll actually take?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            Just back from spending €2m of tax payers money on a machine than can deposit a single layer of atoms at a time, and then tell you the exact chemical interaction with the layer below it. Think it's one of only a couple in the world and definitely the best one.

Don't you love semiconductors!?

That picture funnily enough looks bizarrely like my dad's printing press factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              Don't you love semiconductors!?

That picture funnily enough looks bizarrely like my dad's printing press factory.
                              Sputtering press !
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                If a car is priced at say 2850 by a garage, what's the expected price to pay after a bit of wrangling, I presume they're always marked up a bit from a price they'll actually take?
                                Depends on the garage. When we were looking a few months ago lots of places had them "priced to sell", other places would do 2850 for 2500 but no warranty.

If you're unsure and interested in the car just offer him 2500 cash and see what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                  Not a whole lot at that price. TBH at that price range you'd pick up far more value buying privately. If you're unsure, bring a local mechanic or meet the seller at a mechanics and pay the mechanic to check it over.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      On a bit of a Netflix crime do I binge lately.
                                      Evil Genius is a truely bizarre case. Good documentary but also a little baffling. One or two questions unanswered.
                                      SPOILER
                                      Particularly why Bill Rothstein rang the police initially and started the chain reaction

Amanda Knox everyone knows the story. A lot of questions at the because she was a bit kooky. But the Italian police were genuinely incompetent and out for evidence that match their narrative.

The Jinx is fantastic. Durst is so creepy.

Currently halfway through The Staircase. So far so good. Can't say too much yet.

American criminal law is insane. Obviously the guilty rich will spin any story they can with a team of experts. That's expected. But kinda sickening seeing the District Attorney's office going to the same lengths to improve their odds. It's all pantomime.
                                      Don't watch 'Safe'

What a pile of shit that got worse as it went on. Tried to copy Broadchurch, but didn't come close.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                        Baby bleus showing the baby blacks how it's done. Fantastic performance.!
                                        Great game to watch, Daniel Brennan looks like a talent the Irish will miss in years to come

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                            Don't watch 'Safe'

What a pile of shit that got worse as it went on. Tried to copy Broadchurch, but didn't come close.
                                            Never heard of Safe. Looks like a drama rather than a true story though. The ones I mentioned were documentaries - plenty of shit documentaries too. But I think a high rated documentary on netflix is usually a good bet.

I did like Broadchurch though.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                              Sweet; but it is fucking gas that they let you spend a ton of money for a job they basically refuse to let you know if you will be allowed to do, by making you dance the contract dance on short notice every year

Comment

PC Principal, at it again. By far my favorite character this season.I do not own the copyrights. Please don't ban my channel PC Youtube."Did you just upload ...

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                  Need a bet settled with a mate....

I do a bet with Paddy Power on the US Open today on a player at 10/1. tomorrow he drifts to 11/1 and is 11/1 at start of the tournament.

Do I get best price?
                                                  Definitely not

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                  The 2019 world no.1 heir apparent to miss the cut is 5/2. No other bets for now.

It's like the build up to Christmas with the WC and the Open this weekend.
                                                  if his back holds up, but might retract to top 5. GL on cut bet, I bet him in players at 40/1, but can't have him this week at price, 5/2 seems fair price whatever happens.

FWIW; I took the 20/1 Rham ( could totally blow but factored into price I feel) and smaller bet Louie, 11/2 a place top 8 to total stake looks decent to me on a number of fronts and if he has good putting week.....

Was intending good chunk DJ 14-16/1 but he put paid to that plan last weekend, just can't bring myself to pull trigger at current price after passing up 7/1 in egg and spoon tournament last week.

I'd be against Rory/Rose, think greens get both.

Will throw a few darts on betfair, walker/phil on radar, latter prob bet to freeroll or lay.

Sned/gmac maybe top 10/20 bets.

I'll end up having a tun on lowery/kaymer after few beers tomorrow night no doubt, it's the hope that kills you.

Hopefully it's open going into weekend and can re-evaluate after two days viewing when all per-tournament dockets binned.

Edit to say, i had a dream last night Peter Uihlein won it ( sad I know), which means ill prob have to bet him too,
                                                  maybe just 1st rd leader though.
                                                  Last edited by nicnicnic; 13-06-18, 00:35.

Comment

Just had a RedC poll there about a potential election - asking me what I thought about various Fine Gael and Fianna Fail slogans. I wonder who would have commissioned that.

Russians obv.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                      Never heard of Safe. Looks like a drama rather than a true story though. The ones I mentioned were documentaries - plenty of shit documentaries too. But I think a high rated documentary on netflix is usually a good bet.

I did like Broadchurch though.
                                                      The Jinx is not on netflix though?
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                        The Jinx is not on netflix though?
                                                        I may have watched it originally via some dodgy app. But I rewatched it with my Dad I was at home. Think they only have netflix on the smart TV, but might have been something else.
                                                        Highly recommend for anyone what hasn't seen it and likes murder documentaries.

Suppose I should mention Making a Murderer too. Although questions have been asked about it's accuracy I think

Edit: it appears The Jinx is or at least was on Irish Netflix
                                                        So naturally you’ve been transfixed by Making a Murderer in recent weeks and you’ve been outraged that a seemingly innocent...
                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 13-06-18, 09:23.

Comment

Has anyone come across an editable online world cup chart anywhere?

Comment

Must be time for breakfast. Read this as "Edible" and wondered why the fuck you would want a chart you can eat

Comment

What a fucked up day.
                                                              Got a phone call at lunch yesterday that me dad had an accident at work. Broken wrist and maybe a rib. No biggie but said I'd be over in hospital in a few hours as me mam and brother were already en routr
                                                              20 mins later get another call that he had a black eye and bleeding from the ear. Jumped in a cab immediately
                                                              Turns out he fell from the top of a 10ft a frame ladder in work and is lucky to be alive.
                                                              Fractured skull, broken bone in ear(?) perforated eardrum, broken collar bone. Broke nine ribs in multiple places and broken pelvis. 20 fractures in all.

He ended up in Beaumont due to location of accident and considering the head injury that's for the best. Just a terrifying exhausting day and Beaumonts shitty policies meant we were kicked out of resus area and told to go home far too early imo last night and not let onto icu ward until 1 today.
                                                              Me. Poor da is meant to be going on a cruise in August with me mam and thats all he could worry about last night.
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hard to believe this isn't meant to be comedic

Reporters were shown a video ahead of Donald Trump's press conference in Singapore, which the US president said he had played it to Kim Jong-un and his aides...
                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Quiet in here.

I'm feeling like crap at the minute. Seems like all the flu symptoms except for the fever. Not pleasant. I was barely able to get out of bed this morning.

Comment

Spain having their own Saipan moment.

Love it
                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Anyone playing the golf fantasy
                                                                      pick 6 golfers, winner gets one million, total 3 million pool apparently
                                                                      20 dollars in

Can use in ireland and uk now

Shill

Sign up with my link above and you get 20 and I get 20 after 1st deposit of min 10 dollars
                                                                      Last edited by poprock; 07-09-18, 16:07.

Comment

This one is brilliant imo

opens with drive and sheets

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                          Anyone playing the golf fantasy
                                                                          pick 6 golfers, winner gets one million, total 3 million pool apparently
                                                                          20 dollars in

Can use in ireland and uk now

Shill

SPOILER

Sign up with my link above and you get 20 and I get 20 after 1st deposit of min 10 dollars
                                                                          Have been dipping my toe with limited success. Swinging for the fences in the big guarantees. I entered 6 line ups in the Milly maker this week for the craic. Normally do a few 5 dollar ones each week. Getting more used to the theory behind it.
                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Best wishes to Dad Parrot, sounds like a horrible accident.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                              Have been dipping my toe with limited success. Swinging for the fences in the big guarantees. I entered 6 line ups in the Milly maker this week for the craic. Normally do a few 5 dollar ones each week. Getting more used to the theory behind it.
                                                                              I play the mma one each time, the more work you put in the better,

the big comps like the golf one, the odds are stacked against you as professional teams (prediction models, % of ownership etc) entering 100s of entries etc

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                I play the mma one each time, the more work you put in the better,

the big comps like the golf one, the odds are stacked against you as professional teams (prediction models, % of ownership etc) entering 100s of entries etc
                                                                                I know. Started to get a better feeel for it but still I am probably burning money.

Trying to build lineups with an 80-100% ownership range. Mixing my strongest plays with some obscure ones. Have had a couple of winners in my lineups but unfortunately they were all 5/6 and 4/6. The US open always throws a few funny ones who T10 so we will see
                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                  *takes lawyer hat off*

She paid 1/3 of her High Court costs and 1/2 of her Court of Appeal and Supreme Court costs last time.

When she loses this one, and she undoubtedly will, she should have to pay every single cent back to the State for this case.

*puts hat back on*
                                                                                  I doubt very much she herself paid any of the costs of that challenge nor will she for this one.
                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

world cup maths nerds
                                                                                    optimum strategy?
                                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                      Quiet in here.

I'm feeling like crap at the minute. Seems like all the flu symptoms except for the fever. Not pleasant. I was barely able to get out of bed this morning.

There is definetely a bug of some sort going around as I've heard of a few people coming down with it

My voice is only back to something normal today, still a bit croaky

Comment

This is filthy by Corbyn

Comment

@Tar, I'm sure you've done it but Borough Market is well worth a trip. Preferably after a long walk along the Thames.

Just had a gander in there myself and it's great. Sadly, my pie vendor was sold out of game pies.
                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                            Have a friend selling 2 tickets for Liam Gallagher in Malahide Castle on Friday night. Face value €50 but IPB discount is available.
                                                                                            Bumpity bump. They don't want the tickets going to waste. They're going to the gig themselves but two friends have pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                              world cup maths nerds
                                                                                              optimum strategy?
                                                                                              Germany Brazil
                                                                                              Belgium
                                                                                              Uruguay
                                                                                              Denmark
                                                                                              Serbia
                                                                                              Iceland
                                                                                              Japan
                                                                                              Tunisia

Neymar or Jesus, you not getting odds, so go with the favourites who play for the favourites!
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 13-06-18, 19:05. Reason: Meant to say Brazil

Comment

...

Comment

This is filthy by Corbyn

I thought she was going to cry or just run away

Comment

Monibot and Denny singing off the same hymnsheet

In arguing for a sunset clause to the trade agreement, this odious man is exposing the corruption of liberal democracy, says George Monbiot, a regular contributor to the Guardian

Comment

Australia Win, You Win!

We've got World Cup fever, and we're backing the Aussies for you!

Place a bet on any World Cup Group Stage match and you'll get a $90 Bonus Bet for each match the Socceroos win.

Aussies win, you win!
                                                                                                      Free bets is free bets. But have to feel like they are risking little here

Comment

Still waiting on that super Casino in Tipp.

Comment

Comment

Nice handy start for Arsenal in the league next season

Arsenal v Manchester City
                                                                                                            Bournemouth v Cardiff City
                                                                                                            Fulham v Crystal Palace
                                                                                                            Huddersfield Town v Chelsea
                                                                                                            Liverpool v West Ham United
                                                                                                            Manchester United v Leicester City
                                                                                                            Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
                                                                                                            Southampton v Burnley
                                                                                                            Watford v Brighton
                                                                                                            Wolverhampton Wanderers v Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                              Nice handy start for Arsenal in the league next season

Arsenal v Manchester City
                                                                                                              Bournemouth v Cardiff City
                                                                                                              Fulham v Crystal Palace
                                                                                                              Huddersfield Town v Chelsea
                                                                                                              Liverpool v West Ham United
                                                                                                              Manchester United v Leicester City
                                                                                                              Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
                                                                                                              Southampton v Burnley
                                                                                                              Watford v Brighton
                                                                                                              Wolverhampton Wanderers v Everton
                                                                                                              WENGER OUT

Comment

Chelsea away 2nd game too. Welcome to England Unai.
                                                                                                                Last edited by 6starpool; 14-06-18, 10:41.

Comment

...

Comment

feeling better 5star? kid has something flu-like too that the docs can't quite work out.
                                                                                                                    Seems everybody who's young's flu fighting.

Comment

feeling better 5star? kid has something flu-like too that the docs can't quite work out.
                                                                                                                      No. I had to flip the duvet over last night as it was soaked again, and I'm hobbling around like a 90 year old. My cough is worse too.

Woe is me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                        Seems everybody who's young's flu fighting.
                                                                                                                        GFYL

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X