Standard fold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard fold?

In play I think I made the right decision but is there ever a case to be made for a call here.

Full tilt $25 IPO satt, Blinds 40/80, I have 4.7k, villain 5.6k. I've just doubled the previous hand through a cooler with 88 v 44 on an A84A board in a limped pot.

Villain utg+1 mins to 160. The guy that just lost with the 44 goes all in for 180ish. Folded to me with AK on the btn and I make it 480. Back to villain and he insta shoves. I fold straight away.

It looked to me like he was trying to protect a marginal hand like AQ or a pair but I didn't want to gamble so early.

Standard fold.

Doubt he shows up with Ax hands but if he does, make note and use it for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
      Standard fold.

Doubt he shows up with Ax hands but if he does, make note and use it for future reference.
      exactly what caf said... no need to be getting 60 bigs in preflop in a satty imo.

Comment

Yeah I'm never calling, was just wondering if there was ever a case to. Fwiw he had JJ. I don't know if I'd have hit or not as I didn't see the run out.

Comment

I think you need to consider factors such as how many runners, and how many tickets, how many handed etc. before making statements for what the optimum play for AK here is.

Often times in these spots you will know that taking a flip for 25 bucks gives you a very strong tilt at a 250 buck ticket. I would often be very happy to take these spots.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
            I think you need to consider factors such as how many runners, and how many tickets, how many handed etc. before making statements for what the optimum play for AK here is.

Often times in these spots you will know that taking a flip for 25 bucks gives you a very strong tilt at a 250 buck ticket. I would often be very happy to take these spots.
            About 34 left at that stage. 2 tickets. Cash for 3rd-6th. 9 handed.

Comment

I think AK crushes a standard shoving range in these type of games at the early stage of a sat especially, so I take this spot all day.

Comment

I think AK crushes a standard shoving range in these type of games at the early stage of a sat especially, so I take this spot all day.
                Wow, this is burning money. You want us to call off 60bb to an UTG+1 opener than 4 bet ships against the other big stack? The only hands AK crush is Ax, and in about 10 years playing poker, i could count on one hand the amount of times i've seen this done with a hand worse than AQ, so you're way off.

If we call, we're actively getting it in hoping he has pretty much 1 hand (AQ) or else we have to hit to stay in a tournament where we'll find so many better spots to increase our stick, or at least get it in, in a +EV situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                  Wow, this is burning money. You want us to call off 60bb to an UTG+1 opener than 4 bet ships against the other big stack? The only hands AK crush is Ax, and in about 10 years playing poker, i could count on one hand the amount of times i've seen this done with a hand worse than AQ, so you're way off.

If we call, we're actively getting it in hoping he has pretty much 1 hand (AQ) or else we have to hit to stay in a tournament where we'll find so many better spots to increase our stick, or at least get it in, in a +EV situation.
                  I understand there are lots of great sat. players on this site.

I look at this spot very simply:

Q. Is this spot likely a flip or better? A.Yes.

Q. If I win this spot have I a good chance of exploiting the big stack and taking a ticket? A. Yes. Therefore call.

Comment

I understand there are lots of great sat. players on this site.

I look at this spot very simply:

Q. Is this spot likely a flip or better? A.Yes.

Q. If I win this spot have I a good chance of exploiting the big stack and taking a ticket? A. Yes. Therefore call.
                    So are you calling 22+ AQ+?

We're a big stack now, before the call. Having 60bb or 120bb won't really allow us to approach the game any different because people aren't in shove/fold situations this early on. I'd much rather take my flip a lot closer to the ticket when having a big stack means something, and we can exploit it by attacking the other mid/big stacks and putting them in tough spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                      So are you calling 22+ AQ+?

We're a big stack now, before the call. Having 60bb or 120bb won't really allow us to approach the game any different because people aren't in shove/fold situations this early on. I'd much rather take my flip a lot closer to the ticket when having a big stack means something, and we can exploit it by attacking the other mid/big stacks and putting them in tough spots.
                      I don't call 22+ and AQ+. I call the portion of my range ahead of her range given all info available at the time.

Having the stack does make a difference, and once I have it my aim is not to have to take a flip.

Comment

Hate raise/folding pre. I'd probably just call when second guy jams. First guy can only call and will (usually) play pretty honest post flop - especially oop. Or if I did raise pre I'd call it off. This is just how I'd play it from a basic nlh perspective. No clue about sats. Last one I played was probably 2010

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your fold if you don't want to gamble. You have to ask yourself: what was your plan when you raised to 10% of your stack... Was your intention not to induce a shove from weaker hands?

When he shoved, you had to call about 4k to win 5k; that's 1.25 to 1. So you need 45% equity to make it a breakeven call. Against JJ exactly, you had 43%, so it was a good fold. However, let's assume he's squeezing with a marginal hand to take advantage of the tilting player to pick up the blinds and your raise... Let's give him 22+, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ. You have 55% against that range.

You left out your position in the field, and what position you'd be in regarding getting the ticket if you called and won. It has to outweigh calling and losing your $25 buy in.

But hey, if you don't wanna gamble, you don't gamble

Also, why was the hand with 88 a limped pot? Raise it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X