Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From break even to winning

Hi all,

I have been playing online poker for 2 years now, i read articles and try to learn something new everyday and am constantly re-reading and reviewing everything i can. ive been a slightly losing breakeven player (-.5bb/100) for the past 6-8 months at full ring micro stakes cash games on pokerstars (2NL). Ive gone from -10 to breakeven over the 6-8 months

I have always had a problem finding the fold button when i know im beat on the river or trying to make a silly bluff but i am getting past this (still making the odd questionable call but not near as many)

I have not started to learn to apply ranges yet as i feel i could know more about the basics before i move on to more advanced concepts.

One thing i am having a problem with is tilt, i play well for 3-4 hrs over 2-3k hands, lose a big pot and end up spewing chips so i have put a limit of 1 hour on my sessions with a 15 minute break

Anyway what i am asking is this, if you are a winning player, what is your playing style and what are the things you wish you had studied earlier to become a winning player?

Thanks all
    Last edited by MrMontanaRC; 30-03-18, 09:51.

You are playing in a tough game. To beat online holdem on stars you are going to have to work towards playing in a GTO style with occasional exploits. It might be worth trying to find a softer game, or sign up to a good training site.

A 15 minute break is probably excessive, although taking regular breaks is a good idea.

I'm not sure what is more basic than ranges.

Comment

I don't think you said which stake you are playing. Most sites will have weaker pools than stars, and better rake back too. Maybe party or unibet. If you have the money, i would sign up with Upswing Poker and watch all of their videos. They will give you a very good grounding in modern poker theory. Best of luck!

Comment

Playing a 4 hour session at 2 nl Jesus get another hobby I say that sa someone who has been playing over 25 years. It’s just not worth it all that time could be better put into anything else.

Comment

You should go to Fairyhouse on Easter Monday. If you arrive after the fifth race you will get in for free. Then spend a three hour session picking up discarded tote tickets, you’ll find it’s a better use of your time than a 4 hour session at $2 nlh.
          If you find you are good at it there’s a 5 day session coming up in Punchestown in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Don't listen to them, if you want to become a winning player you are going exactly the right way about it, no need to play higher stakes than you feel comfortable doing. You should be aware though that the rake is very high at low stakes, so the game can actually get easier if you move up a bit. Research the rake at other sites and move to whichever has the best at the stakes you want to play.

Comment

The quickest way to improve your game is to join a study group with players who are winners at the stakes you are playing.

To add structure to your thought processes read this:

This book covers the basis of GTO play. Most poker videos are a watered down version of this book so I would avoid training sites as they will confuse you for the most part and you'll waste a lot of time listening to random thoughts that have no application to your game.

Once you have a basic understanding of GTO play you'll make the most amount of profit with exploitable strategies. However you'll want to learn GTO first to get your foundations.

You are definitely on the right path and break even at 2NL is pretty decent.

Finally, when you have the bankroll take some shots at live 200NL. Buy in for the minimum and play nitty starting out until you feel comfotable. The player pool is softer than 2NL online even though the stakes are 100x.

My advice would be to continue playing low stakes online to improve your game and build your bankroll in the live 200NL games. Coming from online you will be shocked at how soft the live games are.

Best of luck on your journey!

Comment

Do live holdem 1-2euro stakes is softer than 1-2 cent online what brand of glue are you on. I don’t know how you can make that comparison. If he can beat 10 cent 25 cent he should be crushing 1k no live I suggest a move to Vegas then . Not trying to be disrespectful to the op but break even at 2 nl after two years is not decent. No doubt online is getting harder but spending 100s possibly 1000s of hours getting to break even at micros is grim. Feisty I don’t know anyone now who plays online cash for a living know that you never mentioned that but that’s how hard it’s become.

Comment

Solved puzzle, pick a puzzle that hasn't been solved or goon it up on the currency exchanges if you like the gambol

If it's just a hobby, play tournament poker, control losses, but of a buzz if go deep in a big one

Bare in mind I know absolutely nothing about anything!

Comment

He clearly likes playing cash games, so I don't think the chorus of misguided advice from people who don't like or play cash games is of much benefit.

For sickpuppy, if you play 2nl you are playing against a lot of people who are studying the game and using software - their skill level is probably higher than most live games. Breaking even at 2nl is actually quite the accomplishment given the extremely high rake.

hughescons post was very good, the only thing I point I would make is that the best training sites now do teach a GTO style and have a comprehensive framework for learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      He clearly likes playing cash games, so I don't think the chorus of misguided advice from people who don't like or play cash games is of much benefit.

For sickpuppy, if you play 2nl you are playing against a lot of people who are studying the game and using software - their skill level is probably higher than most live games. Breaking even at 2nl is actually quite the accomplishment given the extremely high rake.

hughescons post was very good, the only thing I point I would make is that the best training sites now do teach a GTO style and have a comprehensive framework for learning.
                      Fair enough on most of what you said but if breaking even is good, find a new game!

What is the actual point of playing cards!?

***To avoid it being a trappy question... Why play if no payoff... Not why play at all
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-04-18, 17:48. Reason: Tangent removed!!!

Comment

Breaking even in a tough game is good because when you migrate to a softer game you should beat it. Over 90% of poker players are long term losers, there are very few winners. Most people play because they enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          Breaking even in a tough game is good because when you migrate to a softer game you should beat it. Over 90% of poker players are long term losers, there are very few winners. Most people play because they enjoy it.
                          Over 95% and I'm being lax!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

***To avoid it being a trappy question... Why play if no payoff... Not why play at all
                            Why have any hobby if there is no payoff?

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                              Why have any hobby if there is no payoff?
                              You're dead right!

OP, what bohsman said, don't start any hobby ever unless it's gonna make you rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                You're dead right!

OP, what bohsman said, don't start any hobby ever unless it's gonna make you rich!
                                Seemed like a point that needed to be made. I'm sure he can find softer games on other sites but there are a lot of reasons to like the Stars software, security etc, not sure there is really any need to look for a softer 5NL game when continuing to improve in games he has been playing in regularly is viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                  You should go to Fairyhouse on Easter Monday. If you arrive after the fifth race you will get in for free. Then spend a three hour session picking up discarded tote tickets, you’ll find it’s a better use of your time than a 4 hour session at $2 nlh.
                                  If you find you are good at it there’s a 5 day session coming up in Punchestown in a couple of weeks.
                                  Please tell me that you done this OP. The original 4th in the National was demoted to fifth and the fifth promoted to fourth. This would have resulted in you making about a lifetime of buyins at 1c/2c

Comment

Working...
                                  X