Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    TBH I have no clue and it is not the part of the policy I'm interested in, I want to see it tested and if its a success then its a good thing.

here is what the HSE's alcohol action Ireland say.
    The cheapest priced alcohol generally skims the top of combined VAT and excise duty. Defining cost as just excise duty and VAT, means ignoring the manufacturing, transportation and retail costs associated with the product. In other words, it is not a true reflection of the total costs. Working out a cost price of alcohol, that incorporates all of these contributing costs, would be a complex and expensive exercise, making a ban on below-cost selling of alcohol almost impossible to implement, monitor and enforce.
    ed+vat+avg(man)+avg(tc)+rc+margin=rrp
    granted this is a simplistic model but I dont think it's impossible
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

For Rounders:

In the Curb Your Enthusiasm Seinfeld "reunion", Larry David attempts to channel George Constanza, his own alter-ego
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Whatcha got in mind?
        I have no particular solution in mind, I don't think it takes much to discern that this method appears to flawed though. Standing pat while waiting for a better solution seems optimal if the proposed solution raises such clear concerns.

Comment

I think people are being harsh with Strewelpeter on this.

Here's a BMJ review from last year on studies on the issue:
          Objectives To assess the evidence for price-based alcohol policy interventions to determine whether minimum unit pricing (MUP) is likely to be effective. Design Systematic review and assessment of studies according to Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) guidelines, against the Bradford Hill criteria for causality. Three electronic databases were searched from inception to February 2017. Additional articles were found through hand searching and grey literature searches. Criteria for selecting studies We included any study design that reported on the effect of price-based interventions on alcohol consumption or alcohol-related morbidity, mortality and wider harms. Studies reporting on the effects of taxation or affordability and studies that only investigated price elasticity of demand were beyond the scope of this review. Studies with any conflict of interest were excluded. All studies were appraised for methodological quality. Results Of 517 studies assessed, 33 studies were included: 26 peer-reviewed research studies and seven from the grey literature. All nine of the Bradford Hill criteria were met, although different types of study satisfied different criteria. For example, modelling studies complied with the consistency and specificity criteria, time series analyses demonstrated the temporality and experiment criteria, and the analogy criterion was fulfilled by comparing the findings with the wider literature on taxation and affordability. Conclusions Overall, the Bradford Hill criteria for causality were satisfied. There was very little evidence that minimum alcohol prices are not associated with consumption or subsequent harms. However the overall quality of the evidence was variable, a large proportion of the evidence base has been produced by a small number of research teams, and the quantitative uncertainty in many estimates or forecasts is often poorly communicated outside the academic literature. Nonetheless, price-based alcohol policy interventions such as MUP are likely to reduce alcohol consumption, alcohol-related morbidity and mortality.

This review was particularly concerned with the quality of the studies and concluded:

Therefore, although all of the criteria were supported, we conclude that it is highly probable, but not definite, that introducing MUP for alcohol would reduce alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harms.
          Here's an interesting Lancet modelling study:

What I take from the evidence from the real world and the modelling studies is that probably MUP will reduce alcohol related harm and deaths, especially among the problem drinkers.

This does not in itself mean that it's a good idea. The unanswered question is how much harm to how many people is enough in prevention to outweigh the financial costs to people in general. And we have no measure or figures for this.

We also have no measure or figures for the "good" of that prevention versus the "bad" of low income problem drinking parent(s) continuing their consumption to the financial detriment of the family.

And these things are what make these issues perplexing and given to random arguing like above rather than being able to be settled with evidence and figures.

We don't have a utility measuring system which permits us to jointly take into account these factors and compute a sensible answer to the question.

In medical treatment there is the measure quality adjusted life year which I became interested in a few years ago, but we have nothing to base our current debate on.

People are wasting their breath debating it. It's like "Is X a good idea, where X = Y+Z-T-P", and we have some tentative numbers on Y, but that's it. So it only has the appearance of a serious debate.

I think debates about who are driving or lobbying about it are irrelevant and just shortcuts to try to get around thinking it through properly - "Uh, it's bad because *they* are for it and they are bad."

But in the absence of the proper data and formulae to make a real decision, I say a round of blind Omaha to decide it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            I think debates about who are driving or lobbying about it are irrelevant and just shortcuts to try to get around thinking it through properly - "Uh, it's bad because *they* are for it and they are bad."
            There are two issues here - one being whether the concept will do any net 'good', the other being about the implementation style. It can be implemented as corporate welfare (bad) and improve public health (good) at the same time. This topic touches both, which is why both are being discussed.

It is not being seriously argued that the measure will do harm because vintners are in favour of it, I think you have conflated the two separate but related arguments.

Comment

Have not seen one person with a dirty forehead.

Great stuff.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                This is quite brilliant imo

Join Kevin as he sits down with television legend, Larry David (Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm) as they chat about creating two of the most memorable sitcoms...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Its also mad to think that supermarkets will automatically gain €80m. There will be substitution and greater competition in the low cost beer market that will drive out worst quality beers. It's not that a €1 Dutch Gold will now turn into ta €2 Dutch Gold. Over time a different type of beer will start to appear for the €2 minimum price category.

Accusing strew of being emotionally invested, when the opposition to him on here is largely above-average-earning folk who will be unimpacted by minimum pricing is odd. Is it really that the strictly rational side here is those high-earning folk arguing 'dispassionately' in favor of Tommo on Talbot Street having the right to piss his pants on €1.50 Druid's Cider?
                        My nice poncey 3euro craft beers will go up to differentiate from the riffraff beers,guaranfuckingteed.

Comment

I’d like to see sports that wouldn’t exist if you couldn’t punt on them (horse racing) banned from pre watershed tv and from being mentioned in sports bulletin in the news. Also the horses jackets need to be emblazoned with anti gambling messages (pictures of some lad smashing open his daughters piggy bank for Chelto fun’s etc)

Comment

Comment

Alcohol is quite price elastic actually, except for actual alcoholics.
                              Strewel is suggesting that the point of this is to make alcohol too expensive for alcoholics, and that it will work.

Comment

Don't think they will. If they could get four euro for those beers why would they not already be doing that? Its far more likely that they'll use this opportunity to grow market share.
                                Dont be so naive
                                Companies have premium price products, and of course as you say above will happen, they just will create different beers for each line.

Craft A: Wanna be hobnobs but just cheap bastards ( price point lowest possible)

Craft B: Think they are better than riff raff ( small % dearer than A)

Craft C: For gobshites who like to talk shite ( twice the point of A)

You just gotta hope your favorite beer doesn't get moved to point C, more than likely will be a lot of re branding, customers dont like to know they are getting ripped off.
                                Someones about to make a lot of money labelling

SPOILER
                                Last edited by poprock; 14-02-18, 15:27.

Comment

Following on from what poprock has outlined, in the big German retailers here, they're already selling 'genuine' craft beers beside the Aldi knock-off variants of the same, with the price differential often €3/€2, €2.50/€1.80 or similar.

If minimum prices pushes the Aldi knock-off bottles up to €2.50, surely the 'premium' label beers go up to €3.50 and above to maintain the differential? Drinking the really good stuff (which problem drinkers probably have never considered, given the price) will definitely get more expensive if so!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                    I think people are being harsh with Strewelpeter on this.

Here's a BMJ review from last year on studies on the issue:
                                    Objectives To assess the evidence for price-based alcohol policy interventions to determine whether minimum unit pricing (MUP) is likely to be effective. Design Systematic review and assessment of studies according to Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) guidelines, against the Bradford Hill criteria for causality. Three electronic databases were searched from inception to February 2017. Additional articles were found through hand searching and grey literature searches. Criteria for selecting studies We included any study design that reported on the effect of price-based interventions on alcohol consumption or alcohol-related morbidity, mortality and wider harms. Studies reporting on the effects of taxation or affordability and studies that only investigated price elasticity of demand were beyond the scope of this review. Studies with any conflict of interest were excluded. All studies were appraised for methodological quality. Results Of 517 studies assessed, 33 studies were included: 26 peer-reviewed research studies and seven from the grey literature. All nine of the Bradford Hill criteria were met, although different types of study satisfied different criteria. For example, modelling studies complied with the consistency and specificity criteria, time series analyses demonstrated the temporality and experiment criteria, and the analogy criterion was fulfilled by comparing the findings with the wider literature on taxation and affordability. Conclusions Overall, the Bradford Hill criteria for causality were satisfied. There was very little evidence that minimum alcohol prices are not associated with consumption or subsequent harms. However the overall quality of the evidence was variable, a large proportion of the evidence base has been produced by a small number of research teams, and the quantitative uncertainty in many estimates or forecasts is often poorly communicated outside the academic literature. Nonetheless, price-based alcohol policy interventions such as MUP are likely to reduce alcohol consumption, alcohol-related morbidity and mortality.

This review was particularly concerned with the quality of the studies and concluded:

Here's an interesting Lancet modelling study:

What I take from the evidence from the real world and the modelling studies is that probably MUP will reduce alcohol related harm and deaths, especially among the problem drinkers.

This does not in itself mean that it's a good idea. The unanswered question is how much harm to how many people is enough in prevention to outweigh the financial costs to people in general. And we have no measure or figures for this.

We also have no measure or figures for the "good" of that prevention versus the "bad" of low income problem drinking parent(s) continuing their consumption to the financial detriment of the family.

And these things are what make these issues perplexing and given to random arguing like above rather than being able to be settled with evidence and figures.

We don't have a utility measuring system which permits us to jointly take into account these factors and compute a sensible answer to the question.

In medical treatment there is the measure quality adjusted life year which I became interested in a few years ago, but we have nothing to base our current debate on.

People are wasting their breath debating it. It's like "Is X a good idea, where X = Y+Z-T-P", and we have some tentative numbers on Y, but that's it. So it only has the appearance of a serious debate.

But in the absence of the proper data and formulae to make a real decision, I say a round of blind Omaha to decide it.
                                    Because Woof

Comment

Comment

Hotspur seems to have the most sensible post in any case.

On a more pressing alcohol issue: making beef bourguignon today and weirdly couldn't find the burgundy which the recipe calls for in the shop. But did find actual bourguignon wine. I presume this was a genius addition to the dish rather than a tragic correlation of coincidental names?
                                        Burgundy is pinot noir afaik.

Comment

Its also mad to think that supermarkets will automatically gain €80m. There will be substitution and greater competition in the low cost beer market that will drive out worst quality beers. It's not that a €1 Dutch Gold will now turn into ta €2 Dutch Gold. Over time a different type of beer will start to appear for the €2 minimum price category.

Accusing strew of being emotionally invested, when the opposition to him on here is largely above-average-earning folk who will be unimpacted by minimum pricing is odd. Is it really that the strictly rational side here is those high-earning folk arguing 'dispassionately' in favor of Tommo on Talbot Street having the right to piss his pants on €1.50 Druid's Cider?
                                          Ah pretty normal for right-wing types like myself/brophy/adam smith institute to care more about the outcomes of the less-well off.

Left-wing types usually see one variable and miss the consequences. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Great stuff.
                                            Would it matter if you had?

Comment

Great stuff.

seen loads around town.

Militant anything is never really a good look m8
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Kay Burley of Sky News mistakes ash on Vice-President Joe Biden's forehead on Ash Wednesday.

Comment

Minimum pricing booze: Id say we all post our current drink of choice and see what happens to the prices

mine is currently staropramem

Formula to work is

500 x .05 *.789= 19.725
                                                  That equals min price of €1.97 a bottle

https://www.obrienswine.ie/staropramen-50cl-btl.html (2.60 a bottle)

I buy five for €10 available in most places so I am right on the line,

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                    Just gives us a bit more hope for humanity the less people are following magic people in the sky. Same would go for the less people marching in the north in July the better and the less people insisting on halal meat.

Comment

Full sail 500x0.058 *.789= 22.881
                                                      2.28 a bottle, think I usually pay 2.99 so in theory ok but it’ll creep up

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                            Just gives us a bit more hope for humanity the less people are following magic people in the sky. Same would go for the less people marching in the north in July the better and the less people insisting on halal meat.
                                                            I agree. But would still think each to their own.

Speaking of meat. Have 4 juicy fillet steaks for dinner tonight. Gonna barbecue them. Think they'll be savage!

Comment

I'm gonna attempt this.

How hard can it be?
                                                              Success!

SPOILER

Comment

I agree. But would still think each to their own.
                                                                It's not the militant atheists you need to be worrying about!

Comment

Comment

That's a VERY decent looking plate of food!
                                                                    Tasted even better. Lentils were the star too.

Comment

That's just not true, and is a kinda bizarre claim. Exhibit one being that Europe - all left-wing historically by global standards - developed truely amazing social systems to protect the less-well-off while largely providing good employment to nearly everyone, while the leader of right wing politics - the USA (all parties to differing degrees) is evidentially unable to look after its poor nor give them fair opportunities to advance in society.
                                                                      There is more social mobility in the US though.

It's one of the items on my list of 'to dos': live in America for a few years (don't think my summer on a J1 counts ).

Comment

It's not the militant atheists you need to be worrying about!
                                                                        I don't worry about anyone

Comment

Fillet steak barbecued is bloody gorgeous. Had planned on not drinking but missus came home with a bottle of Chateauneuf du pape. Still going down nicely with chocolate brownie dessert. Not a bad Wednesday

Comment

Great stuff.
                                                                            Would you find it acceptable to write the same sentence and change "dirty forehead" to hijab, yarmulke or turban?

Comment

Fillet steak barbecued is bloody gorgeous. Had planned on not drinking but missus came home with a bottle of Chateauneuf du pape. Still going down nicely with chocolate brownie dessert. Not a bad Wednesday
                                                                              Will pray for you on Sunday

Comment

Thought that meme had been thoroughly debunked with us and UK coming close to the bottom end with the scandis at the top.
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                  Would you find it acceptable to write the same sentence and change "dirty forehead" to hijab, yarmulke or turban?
                                                                                  Its fairly evident that the lack of people with a dirty forehead is evidence that the grip of the particular skyfairy sect that infected this part of the world is loosening, while celebrating the lack of symbology associated with other religions in Ireland would have racist undertones.

Comment

It's one of the items on my list of 'to dos': live in America for a few years (don't think my summer on a J1 counts ).
                                                                                    Maybe hold off on that a bit m8

Police in Parkland, Florida, are responding to reports of an active shooter at a local high school.

The Broward Sherriff's Office said it was "working a developing incident" at Stoneman Douglas High School.

"There are reports of victims," it added, warning that the shooter was still at large and urging people to avoid the area.

A local Fox news affiliate reported seeing several people being treated for injuries outside the school.

Helicopter video showed armed police at the building's perimeter.

Coral Springs Police department, meanwhile, tweeted instructions to teachers and students to "remain barricaded inside until police reach you".

Live video footage from the scene appeared to show a small number of students being evacuated.
                                                                                    Live stream of local news, 20 victims so far
                                                                                    #BREAKING: A shooting has occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Comment

If you were talking about a group of former religious people who had seen the light and were walking around in non religious clothing then yes I would have no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                        Will pray for you on Sunday
                                                                                        Don't think that works for me since I don't give a bollix either way whereas Lazare is very anti Catholic

Comment

Don't think that works for me since I don't give a bollix either way whereas Lazare is very anti Catholic
                                                                                          Catholics have a lot to answer for m8, anti catholic is the correct line.
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Must be nice to be playing away, and then pick up $2,600 in donations in 60 seconds! #Runlikelex

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                              Must be nice to be playing away, and then pick up $2,600 in donations in 60 seconds! #Runlikelex

https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettySleepyAntCorgiDerp
                                                                                              I know I am about a billion light years behind the times but WTF? People are just giving him money? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                Catholics have a lot to answer for m8, anti catholic is the correct line.
                                                                                                I agree. Think you missed my point tho

Comment

I know I am about a billion light years behind the times but WTF? People are just giving him money? Why?
                                                                                                  That's pretty much it. Someone with too much money that appreciates the stream, or likes the streamer. It's a bit crazy.

Take a look at this guy for instance. Look at his bio. His 10 donators have donated ~50k between them. Not to mention all the people that subscribe to him at $4.99 per month. There's so much money in Twitch

Comment

Not a jot.

You've missed me point m8.

Growing up the reverse was the case, would be weird not seeing it.

The church is dying, it's a slow death but a win nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      Its fairly evident that the lack of people with a dirty forehead is evidence that the grip of the particular skyfairy sect that infected this part of the world is loosening, while celebrating the lack of symbology associated with other religions in Ireland would have racist undertones.
                                                                                                      If you were talking about a group of former religious people who had seen the light and were walking around in non religious clothing then yes I would have no issue.
                                                                                                      Aru Jack...

SPOILER

Comment

To clarify.

I'm not anti catholic, I'm anti-catholicism.

It's a poisonous cancer. It's almost dead though.

Comment

You would have a point if the Catholic church didn't have the horrible history in Ireland that they have

So... fuck them if they can't take a joke shit ton of abuse

Comment

Anyone used that Kwiff bookies yet?

Or have any insiders anything to say about them?

Just another small online bookie with a promo tool?
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 14-02-18, 22:13. Reason: ?

Comment

University lecturer arrested after €25k drugs found in Dublin home following tip-off he may be 'dealing to students'

Couple of years ago would have been even money on this being hitch
                                                                                                              Could be Zuut though,fits in with the plane (flies out of Weston too)

Comment

F u psv
                                                                                                                "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                                                "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Looks like they got the US school shooter alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                                    I don't know Jack, why do you think there's no clamour?

Do you think he should be sacked?

If so, why?

Also, on what grounds could his employment be terminated?

Just asking questions
                                                                                                                    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...ints-1.3392273

Looks like he is been phased out.

Comment

...

Comment

Paul Weller gig was close to EPIC. Sleep is overrated

Comment

More terrorism in the US, I see. Those white christian folk have that country in pieces.
                                                                                                                          Where did it say hes Christian? He did have a post about allah akbar on his Instagram page.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X