The Lose 2 Stone in 8 weeks Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lose 2 Stone in 8 weeks Thread

Right, going to give one of these personal logs a go.

Last year, I started to train for the triathlon 3 times (should give you an indication of how successful I was )

I can make excuses about how work was so hectic and how I had so much other stuff going on but essentially, I just wasn't motivated enough.

For the last 3-4 months, I have done pretty much no exercise and combined with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and food over the last two months, I've managed to put a few pounds on. I'm not exactly fat but for my height, I am technically over weight.

The plan is to have two logs, this one running from now until the end of February to lose about 2 stone and get back to a reasonable level of fitness and then a separate log for the triathlon training (March-May/June time)

While I understand diet is important and I am going to be watching what I eat, I am not going to be too anal about it. I normally have a decent enough diet and I am a firm believer in having a well rounded/balanced diet and don't believe in cutting any one food group out.

In saying that, I am going to pretty much eliminate crisps / biscuits and chocolate. Also, apart from this weekend (my birthday) and the first weekend in February (a mates b-day in the UK) I am going to look to seriously reduce my alcohol intake (easier said than done )

Right then, enough waffle, today was the first day. All comments / support welcome!

Starting Stats
    --------------
    Height : 5'10"
    Weight : 14 stone on the nose
    Chest : 41.5 inches
    Stomach : 38 inches

Both stomach and chest were measured at their widest point

Breakfast
    ----------
    Glass of Apple Juice
    Bowl of Whole Grain Nestle Shredded Wheat
    Avonmore Low Fat Super Milk (to go with the cereal)

Snack
    ------
    Handful of Grapes
    Pear

Lunch
    ------
    3 round wholemeal pitta
    Hummus
    Cheddar Cheese

Work Out
    ---------
    1.5km run - on treadmill at setting 9.5
    350m on rowing machine at setting 5
    1km cycle on level 5

Post Work Out
    --------------
    Sports Drink
    Banana

Dinner
    ------
    Breast of Chicken in Pesto
    Wholemeal Pasta
    Last edited by Lao Lao; 03-01-11, 22:53.

Best of luck dude
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Best of luck with this Brian.

Comment

ur goin to find it really hard to loose 2 stone in 8weeks with that workout, too much cardio
        gudluck anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
          Right, going to give one of these personal logs a go.

Last year, I started to train for the triathlon 3 times (should give you an indication of how successful I was )

I can make excuses about how work was so hectic and how I had so much other stuff going on but essentially, I just wasn't motivated enough.

For the last 3-4 months, I have done pretty much no exercise and combined with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and food over the last two months, I've managed to put a few pounds on. I'm not exactly fat but for my height, I am technically over weight.

The plan is to have two logs, this one running from now until the end of February to lose about 2 stone and get back to a reasonable level of fitness and then a separate log for the triathlon training (March-May/June time)

While I understand diet is important and I am going to be watching what I eat, I am not going to be too anal about it. I normally have a decent enough diet and I am a firm believer in having a well rounded/balanced diet and don't believe in cutting any one food group out.

In saying that, I am going to pretty much eliminate crisps / biscuits and chocolate. Also, apart from this weekend (my birthday) and the first weekend in February (a mates b-day in the UK) I am going to look to seriously reduce my alcohol intake (easier said than done )

Right then, enough waffle, today was the first day. All comments / support welcome!

Starting Stats
          --------------
          Height : 5'10"
          Weight : 14 stone on the nose
          Chest : 41.5 inches
          Stomach : 38 inches

Both stomach and chest were measured at their widest point

Breakfast
          ----------
          Glass of Apple Juice

Snack
          ------
          Handful of Grapes
          Pear

Lunch
          ------
          3 round wholemeal pitta
          Hummus
          Cheddar Cheese

Work Out
          ---------
          1km cycle on level 5

Post Work Out
          --------------
          Sports Drink
          Banana

Dinner
          ------
          Breast of Chicken in Pesto
          Wholemeal Pasta
          Im far from an expert in dietary or exercise terms but at a quick glance dont think there is enough protein in your diet.
          As your not a huge porker either two stone in 8 weeks might be too much too quick.
          Im sure more knowledgeable posters will post better advice good luck

Comment

Are you not planning to lift weights?
            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
            I like this heat - some proper music innit.
            None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Will need weights! And protein for growth and repair.

Dieting / Exercise can almost be made as simple as saying "Eat less than your maintenance calories to achieve a calorie deficit. Do weights to maintain muscles and force your body to take from fat reserves instead"

Comment

You won't lose enough weight with that exercise plan. Not a prayer.

Interval training coupled with resistance training is the way to go.

10-15 mins on the Xtrainer, 10 seconds high intensity, 20 seconds low intensity. For your resistence training, do as many FBEs(full body exercises) as you can. Squats, bench pressing, planks etc etc. Avoid the machine weights like the plauge. Stick to free weights and exercises.

Diet needs a few tweaks too. I'll go through it for you;

Breakfast - Don't drink bottled juice, it's pure calories. Try green tea instead. It's full of antioxidants and other healthy stuff. I drink at least 3 cups a day and its the nuts.

Eat Jumbo oats instead of shredded wheat. You can also try frozen fruit(you can buy it for 1.99 a bag in Tesco), egg whites or another source of protein. A good breakfast is absolutely essential, I can't stress this enough. If you have to drink milk, stick to slimline.

Snack; No problem here. You can have berries of any kind too. Natural yogurt(you can get 0% fat yogurt in Tescos, Glenisk probiotic is fine too). A tin of tuna or something high in protein is great too.

Lunch; Fine, but have cottage cheese instead of cheddar. Very high in protein and it really doesn't taste that bad.

Post-work out: Sports drink is a big no-no. Stick to water, any piece of fruit is fine.

Dinner: Fine, wholewheat pasta is good. You could have some vegetables i.e brocolli/spinach/carrots/peppers and it would be even better

Chicken is good. Fish/steak/turkey would be grand also.

And just to prove i'm not talking out of my ass, i've been following this sort of regiment for about 9 months now. I was 147kg(thats over 23 stone in old money); in March 2010. I was 98.4kg this morning(15 stone, 4 ounces).

Best of luck with it anyways. If you follow a good diet and exercise plan, 2 stone in 2 months is certainly doable.
                Last edited by Moneymaker; 04-01-11, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post

10-15 mins on the Xtrainer, 10 seconds high intensity, 20 seconds low intensity. For your resistence training, do as many FBEs(full body exercises) as you can. Squats, bench pressing, planks etc etc. Avoid the machine weights like the plauge. Stick to free weights and exercises.

Breakfast - Don't drink bottled juice, it's pure calories. Try green tea instead. It's full of antioxidants and other healthy stuff. I drink at least 3 cups a day and its the nuts.

Eat Jumbo oats instead of shredded wheat. You can also try frozen fruit(you can buy it for 1.99 a bag in Tesco), egg whites or another source of protein. A good breakfast is absolutely essential, I can't stress this enough. If you have to drink milk, stick to slimline.

Snack; No problem here. You can have berries of any kind too. Natural yogurt(you can get 0% fat yogurt in Tescos, Glenisk probiotic is fine too). A tin of tuna or something high in protein is great too.

Lunch; Fine, but have cottage cheese instead of cheddar. Very high in protein and it really doesn't taste that bad.

Post-work out: Sports drink is a big no-no. Stick to water, any piece of fruit is fine.

Dinner: Fine, wholewheat pasta is good. You could have some vegetables i.e brocolli/spinach/carrots/peppers and it would be even better

And just to prove i'm not talking out of my ass, i've been following this sort of regiment for about 9 months now. I was 147kg(thats over 23 stone in old money); in March 2010. I was 98.4kg this morning(15 stone, 4 ounces).

Best of luck with it anyways. If you follow a good diet and exercise plan, 2 stone in 2 months is certainly doable.
                  Wow,

Havent seen you since you started training and had no idea. serious achievement. Keep it up/

Best of luck Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                    Im far from an expert in dietary or exercise terms but at a quick glance dont think there is enough protein in your diet.
                    As your not a huge porker either two stone in 8 weeks might be too much too quick.
                    Im sure more knowledgeable posters will post better advice good luck
                    Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                    Are you not planning to lift weights?
                    Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                    Will need weights! And protein for growth and repair.
                    I do plan to do some weights but yesterday in the gym, there was pretty much nobody about to run through things with me so only did some cardio rather than lashing into something that I'm not too sure of and doing myself damage.

On the protein, will look at adding more, thought I had a good bit in there - I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)

Any suggestions for getting a good source of protein into me apart from above?
                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 04-01-11, 13:38.

Comment

Firstly, well done on your achievement so far - It must be over a year since I've played with you in the SE and had you not posted those pics, I don't think I would have recognised you! It really is amazing.

On the apple juice, it's the Copella Apple Juice, 100% juice, no preservatives etc, etc. Thought that this would be ok or maybe that's just all marketing malarky??

I really dislike Green Tea (or any form of tea for that matter) so if the apple juice is a non-runner, I can just cut it out all together or sub in a smoothie instead

The milk is low fat super milk, just as good as slimline??

On the other foods, I do plan to incorporate most of the stuff you mentioned into the diet, what I eat yesterday will not be what I eat every single day (some things will be constant) but I will be looking to vary meals so it doesn't get boring

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far!

Comment

I do plan to do some weights but yesterday in the gym, there was pretty much nobody about to run through things with me so only did some cardio rather than lashing into something that I'm not too sure of and doing myself damage.

On the protein, will look at adding more, thought I had a good bit in there - I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)
                        Lao Lao fitday.com is agreat free site where there is lots of info on calorie restriction weight goal graphs etc.
                        If you do intend to lose this much weight so quickly you will have to be anal about your diet.
                        Unless you are hugely discilpined your goal will be impossible to get.
                        It takes 3500calories to lose one pound of fat.
                        so you want to lose 28 pounds thats a deficeit of 98000 calories divided by 60days your going to need a daily deficit of about 1600 calories a day which is huge.

Comment

RE: the apple juice, its just full of sugar/fructose. This will severely hamper a low carb diet!

RE: Protein, use whole foods imo, not shakes. Eggs, tuna, turkey, more meats. You should aim for a good serving of protein with each meal.

RE: Calorie counting etc, if you have an iphone/ipod, there is a great app called "mynetdiary" which is very similar to fitday (might even be part of it!) where you put in everything you've eaten over the course of the day, serving sizes etc, and it gives you back the macros of what you've eaten, as well as the calories and letting you know where you're not eating enough of vitamins etc.

Comment

What Emmett and Sickpuppy said basically. You won't hit your target without being disciplined and regimental.

You can try green tea with lemon. It's a lot more drinkable and just as healthy. I do agree the normal stuff is foul swill tbh.

I wouldn't drink bottled juices period. Smoothies are fine, make em yourself with a blender. Lots of berries, natural yogurt and you're good to go.
                            Last edited by Moneymaker; 04-01-11, 14:08.

Comment

Just make sure they show you the compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press, military press, etc). More often than not, they'll just give you a few machines to do - it's much easier for them. Don't settle for this.

Suppose I should add that I wouldn't trust many trainers in gyms anyway. Most of them have little experience and are taught wrongly for some of the big lifts. Anyhow, post up what they tell you to do and we'll take a look.

I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)
                              It depends on what brand they're selling but I'd recommend buying your own from a supplement shop, preferably on the internet as it's cheaper. You need to ensure you get one with little or no carbs as this is most in line with your goals. I'd recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein. Ensure you don't buy one that is full of sugar also.

For diet info, you can't go wrong by reading the fitness stickies over in the other place:

*** Edit by B-Builder 08th July 2010 *** I have cleaned up the Fitness basics Thread and removed all the conversations and off topic posts.

Unfortunately, you'd need to be on a strict low carb diet in order to lose 2 stone in 8 weeks. This could be done without lifting weights but it'd be much much easier with them.

Best of luck

Comment

Great website for learning to lift weights, and putting you on right map with a target etc.

The best 5×5 workout guide on the entire Internet. Discover how to build strength and muscle doing only three full body workouts per week.

This is the programme I've been working on (stalled for last 6 weeks with exams/snow/christmas/relocating home) and I've seen marked improvements in my stature and figure. Would certainly recommend it, especially as its a "no-frills/ no bullshit" kind of programme.

Comment

Nearly forgot starting strength!

Stronglifts pretty much copied this template. The book is an essential purchase.

I know we're all shoving a ton of info at you. Most people start these diets full of enthusiasm and try to do to much too soon. This results in a loss of confidence and willpower when something goes wrong (and it will!) which often ends up with them going back to square one. Just try to make gradual changes at the start and that should give you the best chance of succeeding.

Comment

Going to try something similar to this myself altho 2 stone in 2 months to me sounds like madness!! Good luck

As someone who has never been a fan of doing weights, and particularly free weights which I have never used in a gym, I take it there is only so much weight you can lose doing a lot of cardio and having a good diet?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                      Going to try something similar to this myself altho 2 stone in 2 months to me sounds like madness!! Good luck

As someone who has never been a fan of doing weights, and particularly free weights which I have never used in a gym, I take it there is only so much weight you can lose doing a lot of cardio and having a good diet?
                                      yup, you will find that you will constantly need to increase your cardio as the body gets used to it. You need to "shock" your muscles and body often in order to keep it focussed on muscle production/growth, and you will find that your body will have no problem getting used to a workout in a few short weeks, and you will have to change it up again in order to maintain similar results of the prior few.

Why don't you like weights? I started them in August, had never lifted before, and I actually really enjoy it. You can feel yourself pushing yourself harder with each and every gym visit, as you get to put more weights on the bar, and you always feel like you're making progress.

Mentally, I think that weights are a great way to keep you focussed on goals. Especially with weight loss/muscle building goals.

Comment

Ste if you have more lean muscle you will burn more calories even when your sleeping.

A pound weight a week loss over say 20 weeks would be a stone and a half and is doable and youd need a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day .

People think if you lift weights sometimes your gonna look like Arnie its hard to put on muscle
                                        and takes lots of work.
                                        Anyone that has not lifted weights before might be intimidated by seeing guys lifting huge loads but everyone has to start somewhere.
                                        Its a great feeling after even 4 or 5 weeks to feel yourself gettin stronger and increasing the weight you can lift
                                        a mixture of cardio and weight training preferably on different days would be ideal i think

Comment

Why don't you like weights? I started them in August, had never lifted before, and I actually really enjoy it. You can feel yourself pushing yourself harder with each and every gym visit, as you get to put more weights on the bar, and you always feel like you're making progress.
                                          Back when I used to go to the gym regularly enough I had a plan involving cardio and 3*15 reps of a few of the stationary weight machines which I enjoyed a lot. Actually may go back to that

Free weights sections in gyms I find can be giant Arnie types doing ridiculous weights who are being spotted by their training partner or whatever which for whatever reason I find very annoying. Also have a dodgy back so I can't do rowing machine anymore and I would imagine free weights may cause problems (altho prob strengthen the feckin thing I suppose ). I'll prob be going during day on days off so may give it a whirl.

Comment

Don't use weight machines! They're the worst.

Seriously, the progress you will make by learning a few weight movements will far outweigh all that shite.

Compound lifts like
                                            Squats
                                            Bench Press
                                            Deadlift
                                            Overhead Press

And then do some bodyweight exercises like
                                            Inverted Rows
                                            Pushups
                                            Pullups
                                            Chinups
                                            Bridges

The stronglifts programme is ~45mins 3 times a week.

Forget the dumbells, stick with the bar imo. It will work your whole body, and wont waste time.

Comment

Don't use weight machines! They're the worst.

Seriously, the progress you will make by learning a few weight movements will far outweigh all that shite.

Compound lifts like
                                              Squats
                                              Bench Press
                                              Deadlift
                                              Overhead Press

Inverted Rows
                                              Pushups
                                              Pullups
                                              Chinups
                                              Bridges

The stronglifts programme is ~45mins 3 times a week.

Forget the dumbells, stick with the bar imo. It will work your whole body, and wont waste time.
                                              If I could thank this a million times I would.

Add in some dynamic stretching at the beginning, some static stretching at the end plus some foam rolling at home and you're set.

Comment

I better get reading up on this shit so Sorry for the derail Lao Lao

Comment

Free weights are grand but if ste has back problems deadlifts and squats may not be for him.
                                                  Used correctly they are great exercises but weight machines are fine for beginners maybe till they get some coinfidence and get stronger.
                                                  Even if starting strength starts you on just the bare bar at 20kg

Also not everyone has aspotter or gym buddy dont want to be stuck choking under a barbell after a failed rep

My gym is in Castleknock total fitness and there is a laod of big guys power lifters bodybuilders but there engrossed in there own workout

there not gonna be saying did ya see yer man lifting 40kgs and laughing often the expericenced guys like that are helpful albeit physically they may look intimidating.

Comment

The best programme i did and i lost nearly 2 st in 10 weeks was;
                                                    5 weight days and mix in 1 cardio wit that, diffrent muscle group everyday,
                                                    Mon;arms{biceps and triceps}
                                                    Tue;chest
                                                    Wed;back{plenty of deadlifting}
                                                    Thur;shoulders
                                                    fri;legs{plenty of squats}
                                                    and a spin class 4 cardio on one of the nites

u need to build up the muscle to burn the fat dont mind the cardio r people tellen to run 4 an hour a day on a treadmill,after the weight workouts u will b burnen fat throughout the day, doin cardio u only burn fat for the duration of ur workout and u burn muscle which isnt gud

dieting; i had plenty of protein, meals like egg whites and beans, broccoli and other veg steamed, and ate turkey aswell find it better than chicken. u dont want to make ur diet impossible to stick to,cause thats most peoples downfall

Comment

Well done.

Comment

It's 90% down to diet to be honest.

Also, doing a lot of steady-state cardio is more or less a waste of time.

Bodyweight metcons (a bunch of pushups, pullups, chinups, bodyweight squats/lunges, V-ups, burpees etc etc) along with heavy-lifting is the way to go for sure.

Can't stress the importance of a clean diet enough though.

Comment

I started off on 16th September weighing 16 stone.

I had never had a serious gym program and my diet was terrible.

I posted on boards and read up a lot, cut out fast food, fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps etc.
                                                          I kept track of my calories on my iPhone for a few weeks till i got an idea of have many cals everything had. I started going to the gym 4-5 times a week and working hard for 60-90 mins a day, mainly compound lifts and cardio.

By 8th Dec i was 190lbs/13.5 stone so it can be done with a bit of willpower and hard work.

Even over the Xmas period i was drinking a ton and eating some crap and havent been to the gym much and ive still lost 3lbs in the last 2 weeks so its happy days.
                                                          Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                          I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                          None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                            If I could thank this a million times I would.

Add in some dynamic stretching at the beginning, some static stretching at the end plus some foam rolling at home and you're set.
                                                            more info pls?

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplXyO-q4eo[/ame]

Comment

Good vid but those pants are disturbing.

Comment

more info pls?
                                                                  Dynamic stretches are ballistic stretches with constant movement.

Stuff like this:

Cat/Camel
                                                                  Yoga Twist
                                                                  Birddog
                                                                  Fire Hydrants
                                                                  Supine Bridge
                                                                  Anterior-Posterior Leg Swings
                                                                  Side to Side Leg Swings
                                                                  Windmills
                                                                  Scap Pushups
                                                                  Shoulder Dislocations

Checkout Eric Cressey's Magnificent Mobility. You'll find it in the usual places. It's brilliant and I wouldn't train without doing a selection of these stretches beforehand.

Static Stretches are the usual kind of stretches were you hold them for a certain amount of time. Like the quad stretch, hamstring stretch etc.

The main premise is that by doing static stretches preworkout you reduce the elasticity of the muscles which reduces the amount you can lift by a small amount. It's not really a big deal but I do find myself a lot more flexible after dynamic stretching and you also work up a good sweat.

I tell you what I'll be at the gym tomorrow and I'll post my full warm up and warm down in my log.

Maybe we should move some of these posts to a general kind of sticky for fitness instead of cluttering up Lao Lao's log althought it'll be very useful to him too.

Comment

The guy in the vid posts as Transform on the fitness forum on boards.

I've talked to him over PM and stuff, he's pretty excellent IMO.

Has a blog as well which can be very good:

Personal training, personal trainer in Dublin. Classes on Zoom. Ireland's Leading health and fitness couple. Exercise for life with our expertise. Training and all your health needs. Live Daily Zoom workouts, Cookery, Nutrition, Recipes, Sleep Better, Manage Stress Better, Feel more energy, lose we

Comment

Tuesday 4th
                                                                      ------------

Breakfast
                                                                      ---------
                                                                      Glass of Apple Juice (Will cut this out from tomorrow)
                                                                      Bowl of Whole Grain Nestle Shredded Wheat (only bought a small box so will use up and then move onto the Jumbo Oats)

Snack
                                                                      ------
                                                                      Berry Smoothie

Lunch
                                                                      ------
                                                                      3 round wholemeal pitta
                                                                      Hummus

Snack
                                                                      ------
                                                                      Handful of Grapes
                                                                      Pear

Work Out
                                                                      ---------
                                                                      Got to the gym and had to book an appointment to set up a training programme (which is tomorrow at 7:30) so I did another cardio session as it's better than doing nothing

1.5km cycle on level 5

Post Work Out
                                                                      --------------
                                                                      Sports Drink
                                                                      Banana

Dinner
                                                                      ------
                                                                      3 scrambled eggs and small tins of beans (225g) on three slices of wholegrain bread

Comment

Not at all man, this is all great info for me too!

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post

Maybe we should move some of these posts to a general kind of sticky for fitness instead of cluttering up Lao Lao's log althought it'll be very useful to him too.
                                                                        Good idea, although, I've no problem with them being in this thread as it's great info for me. Main reason to move/copy them to a sticky thread would be so other people can benefit from them imo. Maybe a mod could do something?

On the sports drink (and this maybe a stupid question) but why are they a no-no.

Is it because they have carbs in them? I remember reading somewhere ages ago that a sports drink and banana (over other fruits)were the best thing to have after a work out?

Comment

sports drink full of carbs and a banana is gud gets ur sugar levels back up

Comment

In general, what everyone said regarding resistance/weights and diet I'd agree with. But just to play devils advocate. In the initial stages, steady state cardio is fine as the metabolic rate will soar from anything. People are often more comfortable doing this if they find the gym a bit scary.

But longer term intervals and resistance are needed. As soon as you are comfortable get them in there. But get an instructor to show you. You'll lose no weight when injuried.

Diet >>>>>>>>>Workout,

I wouldn't have seen you in almost two years since I was last in the jackpot. Great achievement well done.
                                                                            Bad idea. You need to have protein, but its pointless adding it in on top of other meals. In terms of calories protein is slightly more dense than carbs, a big shake can count for a lot.

Just eat more protein rice food instead of lots of filler.
                                                                            ie half a portion of pasta with extra chicken, or cottage cheese instead of a yogurt as a snack

On the sports drink (and this maybe a stupid question) but why are they a no-no.

Is it because they have carbs in them? I remember reading somewhere ages ago that a sports drink and banana (over other fruits)were the best thing to have after a work out?
                                                                            You don't need either. They are just extra calories.
                                                                            If you are training before work, and won't get to eat for hours, then you need something, so water and fruit is a good option.

But if you are on the way home to have dinner then you are just wasting a deficit.

I disagree with the last poster about sugar levels. That applies to guys burning huge amounts of energy and needing to replenish glycogen levels and electrolytes , not to the average guy looking to drop a few. The carbs at dinner convert to sugars and will do fine.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              Just eat more protein [B]rich/B] food instead of lots of filler.
                                                                              ie half a portion of pasta with extra chicken, or cottage cheese instead of a yogurt as a snack
                                                                              FYP to ensure Lao Lao doesn't go off eating a ton of rice for protein!

Comment

#40
                                                                                A bit TLDR

If you can try drop the pitta breads and generally all bread out of the diet it would be a great help. Some great sources of protein and are helpful as part of lunches and snacks are raw cashew nuts, berries (rasberries, blueberries etc).

This is an example of a basket of food i picked up on Sunday evening which will cover my meals for the week. Its all about planning out your meals each night.

2 Salmon Fillets
                                                                                1 Round Steak
                                                                                2 Tuna Steaks
                                                                                4 Turkey Breast Fillets
                                                                                4 Chicken Breast Fillets
                                                                                Mixture of Fresh Veg, Broccoli, Green Bean, Bean Sprouts, Carrots, Turnip, Asperagus, Red/Green Peppers
                                                                                Mixture of Fruit Oranges, Rasberries, Plum, Blueberries, Bananas
                                                                                Fresh mixed salad
                                                                                Wholegrain Noodles
                                                                                Wholegrain Rice

My main meals for the week look something like,
                                                                                Mon - Salmon Fillets pan fried in Olive Oil on a bed of salad served with green bean & asperagus.
                                                                                Tue - Turkey breast fillets pan fried in Olive Oil with broccoli, red and gren peppers served on a small portion of noodles. Make two portions and freeze one
                                                                                Wed - Chicken Thai Green Curry with most of the veg thrown in and served with wholegrain rice. Make two portions and freeze one
                                                                                Thur - Tuna Steak on a bed of salad & small portion of pasta served with green bean & asperagus
                                                                                Fri - Use the 2nd meal from Tue
                                                                                Sat - Use the 2nd meal from Wed
                                                                                Sun - Round Steak pan fried in Olive Oil served with 2 sweet potatoes and all the veg.

For lunches/snacks etc i have cut out all bread, dairy products such as youghurts and the like and replaced this with fresh fruit and nuts (cashews, brazil, almond are probably the best). You will learn a new appreciation for food and will feel much better for it. By the way stay away from sauces and dressing full of bad fats and generally full of wasted calories.

Agree with what everyone else said, mix in some weights along with the cardio workouts and the weight will fly off. BTW drink plenty of water as you will need to keep yourself hydrated through training. Good luck.

BTW excellent weight losses by Moneymaker and Starvin Marvin (very apt name)

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Hunger is pretty good for weight loss. Not mentioned above.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Wednesday 5th
                                                                                    ---------------

Breakfast
                                                                                    ---------

Snack
                                                                                    ------
                                                                                    Berry Smoothie

Lunch
                                                                                    ------
                                                                                    Tuna and Bean Salad

Snack
                                                                                    ------
                                                                                    Pear
                                                                                    Handful of Grapes

Work Out
                                                                                    ---------
                                                                                    Got my weight's plan from the gym - Opinions please as I'm a weights noob?

Dumb Bell Fly Chest - 3 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                    Lat Pulldown Bar - 3 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                    Split Squat - 3 sets of 12 reps for each leg
                                                                                    Lying Hamstring Curl - 3 sets of 12 reps
                                                                                    Bicep Curl (Cable) - 2 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                    Tricep Pushdown (Cable) - 2 sets of 15 reps

Obliques on the floor - 2 sets of 12 reps
                                                                                    Ab Crunch - 2 sets of 12 reps
                                                                                    Hover - 2 x 60 seconds

Dinner
                                                                                    ------
                                                                                    Turkey Breast Fajitas with Whole Wheat Tortilla

Comment

#43
                                                                                      eat more
                                                                                      Don't bother with those weights. You're paying them good money I'd expect, so the guy should show you what you ask him?

Tell him you're doing Starting Strength or Stronglifts, and that you want to learn the exercises I posted above
                                                                                      Compound lifts like
                                                                                      Squats
                                                                                      Bench Press
                                                                                      Deadlift
                                                                                      Overhead Press

Inverted Rows
                                                                                      Pushups
                                                                                      Pullups
                                                                                      Chinups
                                                                                      Bridges
                                                                                      These exercises will involve so much more of your body than the ones posted above. More bodywork = more calories burned quicker = more weight lost quicker too.

I know how intimidating gyms can be, I literally hadn't a clue what I was doing first time I started lifting, I asked a friend who's pretty serious about lifting to show me the ropes, and after one decent session with him where he showed me all of the above, I took to it like a duck to water.

Its very helpful to do a similar programme with someone else, that way you can spot them during your rests, and they can return the favour too.

The exercises given to you are fine exercises, but you will get so much more from the compounds than from those muscle specific ones.

I don't think you're eating enough of the right foods either.
                                                                                      Kill all the whole wheat altogether if possible, and load up on protein instead. Try get some meats into your breakfast, or eggs are good too.

Eating protein will actually make you feel less hungry than eating carby foods, so you wont snack as much.

The Keto diet that I was doing before Christmas, and will be starting again next week, has less than 20g of carbs a day. This is a huge change for most, and I wouldn't recommend it for all, but cutting as much carbs as possible out of your day (with the exception of post work out) will help you hugely.

Increase your meat, egg, fish, nuts, cheese intake in place of bread/tortillas etc.
                                                                                      Brocolli and Cauliflower are the gods of vegetables.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        GOOD post from Emmet there in programme gym instructor gave you too many isolation exercises, biceps are a small muscle and hamstrings too, yet he have you no exercise for your quads which is a big muscle.

A squat will hit both hamstrings and your quads and calfs too.
                                                                                        No harm in doing some extra exercsies like bicep curls big arms do look good but going heavy in your bench press will be more helpful than any amount of curls.

A protein supplement like whey from milk with say a banana and 500ml of skimmed milk would give you 45grams of protein is easy and quick to make and is ideal for a post workout meal when your muscles are crying for food.
                                                                                        If they have not the nutrients to grow they wont

Comment

#45
                                                                                          +1000000 to Emmet's post above.

You've gotten the standard gym instructor drooler runaround there. Those exercises won't do you any harm, but they're far far far from the optimal ones - their only benefit over the exercises Emmet has listed is that they take less effort to show you from the instructors POV.

A protein supplement like whey from milk with say a banana and 500ml of skimmed milk would give you 45grams of protein is easy and quick to make and is ideal for a post workout meal when your muscles are crying for food.
                                                                                          That's got to be fairly calorific as a snack no?

Comment

#46
                                                                                            I posted this in the BBV yesterday, but it would probably be more useful here:

It being the season for New Year's Resolutions and all I might as well point people to this thread on boards.

Tbh, I'm actually blown away with the quality and quantity of information gem has compiled there, just a brilliant resource for anyone looking to get fitter/healthier.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              All of Emmet's posts in this thread are epic. Wp sir. Most of the exercises he's listed is what i'm doing. It's not easy but you get results.
                                                                                              Last edited by Moneymaker; 06-01-11, 13:21.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Adding milk to a protein shake immediately post-workout is a bad idea. The casein in the milk will slow down digestion of the protein and as you said your muscles are crying out for nutrients asap. Whey is fast digesting thus it's perfect post-workout so just mix it with water. Casein is great for bedtime though.

@ Lao Lao: Actually surprised they gave you split squats. That's a good exercise. Something that hasn't been mentioned is that proper squats require good flexiblity and pretty much everybody starting off won't have the level they need. The usual trick is to squat with plates under the heels to make it easier to hit the correct depth but this is only a short term fix.

That's without even mentioning hip, ankle, back (lumbar and thoracic), shoulder and chest mobility issues. A good trainer will be able to spot and correct these. Not many good trainers in commercial gyms though. Sorry to sound so morbid but would rather mention this than see somebody get injured. Might be worth paying for 2 or 3 sessions with a good PT who can assess you properly.

The other lifts are technical but not as technical as squats so I wouldn't be as worried about them.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  +1000000 to Emmet's post above.

You've gotten the standard gym instructor drooler runaround there. Those exercises won't do you any harm, but they're far far far from the optimal ones - their only benefit over the exercises Emmet has listed is that they take less effort to show you from the instructors POV.

That's got to be fairly calorific as a snack no?
                                                                                                  About 500 calories i think.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
                                                                                                    About 500 calories i think.
                                                                                                    Yeah I was thinking - that's kind of shitloads for a guy trying to lose 2 stone in two months...

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                      Yeah I was thinking - that's kind of shitloads for a guy trying to lose 2 stone in two months...
                                                                                                      Ya drop the milk and banana and its about 200 odd calories just looking for a handy way for him to get more protein easily into the diet.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Ya drop the milk and banana and its about 200 odd calories just looking for a handy way for him to get more protein easily into the diet.
                                                                                                        It's not hard to get protein in.
                                                                                                        That shake has 45 grams.

A 250g steak has 70g.

Shakes have their plave, I cycle them myself. But I rather see a guy at least try do it in whole food first.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          It's not hard to get protein in.
                                                                                                          That shake has 45 grams.

A 250g steak has 70g.

Shakes have their plave, I cycle them myself. But I rather see a guy at least try do it in whole food first.
                                                                                                          Yeah i probably get most of my protein through whole food but do find myself having 3/4 shakes a week due to the high volume of calorie depletion i go through in a week...about 12,000-15,000.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            The last four days (not counting today) have been a bit of a disaster. I knew two of them were going to be but wasn't planning on four!

Thursday - Diet wise was fine but got home and relatives called over. Thought it was going to be a quick visit but they stayed for ages and didn't get to the gym.

Friday - Diet was again good up until lunch time - Had planned taking a half day from work in order to squeeze in a gym session as I was taking my nieces out to dinner and the panto but everything went wrong in work and didn't get out in time. Dinner wasn't too bad - I had chicken wings and Pad Thai but did have two beers.

Saturday - Had the 2nd day of a two day course that had been postponed since before Christmas due to the weather so it was sambo's at lunch - I stuck to the tuna and chicken ones and stayed away from any ham and cheese but there was some bread consumed.

Saturday night was a complete right off due to birthday celebrations and so was Sunday due to the massive hangover I had

On a plus side, I weighted myself this morning and I came in at 13 stone 11 pounds which is a 3 pound loss.

Monday 10th
                                                                                                            -------------

Breakfast
                                                                                                            ---------

Lunch
                                                                                                            ------
                                                                                                            Chicken Breast Salad

Snacks
                                                                                                            -------
                                                                                                            Fruit = Pear/Grapes/Strawberries/Mandarin

Dinner
                                                                                                            ------
                                                                                                            4 egg omelette and small tin of tuna

Work Out
                                                                                                            ---------
                                                                                                            Had to make an appt for tomorrow night to be shown the new exercises I want done so went with the routine that I was given as per below.

Warm Up : Dynamic Stretches and 1000m on the rower at level 5

Dumb Bell Fly Chest - 3 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                                            Lat Pulldown Bar - 3 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                                            Split Squat - 2 sets of 12 reps for each leg
                                                                                                            Lying Hamstring Curl - 3 sets of 12 reps
                                                                                                            Bicep Curl (Cable) - 2 sets of 15 reps
                                                                                                            Tricep Pushdown (Cable) - 2 sets of 15 reps

Post Work Out
                                                                                                            --------------
                                                                                                            Banana
                                                                                                            Sports Drink

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Warm Up : Dynamic Stretches and 1000m on the rower at level 5
                                                                                                              Just on the rower and levels.
                                                                                                              The lever is the resistance, not a level. It's not like the threadmill where the number = speed. It's more like gears on a bike. You shouldn'r really be doing work at lower resistance as this is the same as having a bike on a low gear and peddling like mad but getting nowhere.

Go to options, or other features, display drag factor and set it to a level that equals a drag factor of about 140 (this is roughly the resistance of water) and use that level for everything. It will vary from rower to rower but expect it to be around level 6-9

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Just on the rower and levels.
                                                                                                                The lever is the resistance, not a level. It's not like the threadmill where the number = speed. It's more like gears on a bike. You shouldn'r really be doing work at lower resistance as this is the same as having a bike on a low gear and peddling like mad but getting nowhere.

Go to options, or other features, display drag factor and set it to a level that equals a drag factor of about 140 (this is roughly the resistance of water) and use that level for everything. It will vary from rower to rower but expect it to be around level 6-9
                                                                                                                Yeah, I know the lever is the resistance, higher up you go, the more resistance. I will be moving it up as I go but at 5, it's an ok warm up/part of work out, defo not ready to jump to 9 just yet

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Tuesday 11th
                                                                                                                  --------------

Breakfast
                                                                                                                  ---------

Snack
                                                                                                                  ------
                                                                                                                  Berry Smoothie

Lunch
                                                                                                                  ------
                                                                                                                  Tuna Salad

Snack
                                                                                                                  ------
                                                                                                                  Pear
                                                                                                                  Handful of grapes

Work Out
                                                                                                                  ---------
                                                                                                                  Got the gym instructor to show me the compound lifts and body weight exercises. He explained that these would never be part of a standard exercise plan due to the (as Lurker mentions below) flexibility required. The only one he wouldn't show me was the dead lift as he said this required the most technique and he wanted me to be comfortable with the other lifts first, which is fair enough.

Anyway, I had planned to do cardio tonight so once I had a run through the above, I got stuck into that

Warm Up : Dynamic Stretches

Rower - 2 x 500m at level 5
                                                                                                                  Bike - 2 x 1.5km at level 5
                                                                                                                  Treadmill - 2 x 1km at level 9.5

Post Work Out
                                                                                                                  --------------
                                                                                                                  Sports Drink
                                                                                                                  Banana

Dinner
                                                                                                                  ------
                                                                                                                  Breast of Chicken in Pesto with Broccoli and Wholemeal Pasta

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Your missing the point.

It's totally different to other machines.
                                                                                                                    1000m at lvl 9 is no harder than 1000m at lvl 5, its "harder" to pull obviously, but you go slower so it balances out.

You get through the metres faster as a higher resistance. In fact, its prob harder at v.low resistance. Again, the bike example. Imagine cycling 1km at a comfortable gear verses sysling like mad at a low gear. The low gear wears you out quicker and you are going like mad getting no-where

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Ugghh, what a horrible week. 3 days of 12 hour plus work and a 5 and 1/2 round trip drive to the 'not so' sunny south east for a 30 minute meeting all took its toll.

The positives were that the diet pretty much stayed intact and not one drop of alcohol has passed my lips so far this week but I only got 3 gym sessions in and one of them was fairly brief. I've to go to some stupid black tie awards night tonight organised by a mate of mine so need to try keep the alcohol / bad food intake to an absolute minimum!

Wednesday 12th
                                                                                                                      -----------------
                                                                                                                      Breakfast
                                                                                                                      ---------

Snack
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Berry Smoothie

Lunch
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Tuna Salad

Snack
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Pear
                                                                                                                      Handful of grapes

Work Out
                                                                                                                      ----------
                                                                                                                      No Session

Dinner
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Salmon with Salad

*****************

Thursday 13th
                                                                                                                      --------------
                                                                                                                      Breakfast
                                                                                                                      ---------

Lunch
                                                                                                                      -------
                                                                                                                      2 Chicken Breasts

Dinner
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Breast of Turkey, Broccoli and Cauliflower

Snacks
                                                                                                                      -------
                                                                                                                      Pear / Grapes / Apples

Work Out
                                                                                                                      ----------
                                                                                                                      Was very tight on time on this so didn't get a whole lot done

Squats - 5 sets of 5 reps (30Kg)
                                                                                                                      Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps (30kg)
                                                                                                                      Overhead Press - 5 sets of 5 reps (30Kg)

Post Work Out
                                                                                                                      --------------
                                                                                                                      Banana
                                                                                                                      Sports Drink

*****************

Friday 14th
                                                                                                                      -----------
                                                                                                                      Breakfast
                                                                                                                      ---------

Lunch
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Tuna Salad

Snacks
                                                                                                                      -------
                                                                                                                      Pear / Grapes / Apple

Dinner
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Chicken Stir-Fry with wholegrain rice

*****************

Saturday 15th
                                                                                                                      --------------
                                                                                                                      Breakfast
                                                                                                                      ---------

Lunch
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Tin of Tuna

Dinner
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Steak, Onions and Mushrooms

Snacks
                                                                                                                      -------
                                                                                                                      Grapes / Pear

*****************

Sunday 16th
                                                                                                                      -------------
                                                                                                                      Breakfast
                                                                                                                      ---------
                                                                                                                      Scrambled Eggs and Beans on wholegrain toast

Lunch
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Tuna Salad

Snack
                                                                                                                      ------
                                                                                                                      Apple

*******************

Am rather nervous about my weigh in tomorrow so some reason, don't really know why though!

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Diet looks to be much better! Far cleaner alright.

Still not mad about the cereal in the morning though. Eggs eggs and more eggs is my motto!

Good work starting the weights, you'll feel a huge difference very quickly, the scales might not show much, as you replace fat with muscle, but your clothes will fit better, and your waist will disappear rapidly.

Have you had a go of the calculator on www.fitday.com? Just to track your food even more anally? Gives a better breakdown of calories, and the nutrients involved.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X