Beware of Adware popups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware of Adware popups

Hi all, I noticed a few links in posts in the BBV and the ww thread where a word has become clickable for a period of time. Now it seems to move about and I have taken a screen dump to show you.

Be careful on clicking on links in posts. Hover over first to see if it shows adware.

Here is an example of one in the ww thread. Look where Micnail has quoted Nucks post and it is the word EASY

It was suggested it was my PC but I ran scans on mine and there was nothing found at all. PLUS if it was my comp I am sure this would be happening elsewhere.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Hmm, you do have to quote my dumb post?

I've never seen any link works fwiw.
          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Comment

No spam popups for me.
              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

It's nothing to do with us whatsoever. I wouldn't know how to do it if I wanted to. Definitely something on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  It's nothing to do with us whatsoever. I wouldn't know how to do it if I wanted to. Definitely something on your side.
                  sounds like an ipoker standard response

Comment

My comp is totally clean and I don't be visiting any other forums.

In fact My comp really just looks at IPB, Facebook and my email.

Also the ads are about iphone and that is something I have never looked at

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                      Okay, think i've worked it out due to too much free time. Think you must be a member of another forum that allows these and you've selected 'trust this forum' when a popup first appeared.

An example would be:

where you can see the type of ad thing you are talking about.

By saying 'allow popups on this site' on that site, your browser then thinks it is okay to allow those popups on other sites as you have trusted the previous site. If you look at your Adblock settings you will see popups allowed for some other forum and that's the cause.

It's usually Kontera who are the feckers behind these ads.

* It's entirely possible, and indeed highly probable, that this is all wrong
                      I have pretty high security on my machine and ran a full malwarebytes scan etc. I don't allow popups anywhere as I hate that sort of shit.

It is really strange.

I will chat at class today about it anyway and see what the thoughts are.

Thanks everyone who replied. And HH. In the post you done to me there is a clickable link. So it is still showing now.

I was wondering if it was a site problem since it has been running like a bag of crap lately. That is why I posted about it. I will test the theory by going to boards or something and see if it happens there.

Comment

Something similar seems to be happening to certain users on Boards

Are boards.ie now injecting adwords to threads or is it malware on my computer that I've downloaded from somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                          Something similar seems to be happening to certain users on Boards

Are boards.ie now injecting adwords to threads or is it malware on my computer that I've downloaded from somewhere?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056496861
                          Going to have a wee read on that Kev. Thanks

I use chrome as well. SO will get this well checked out. strange though malwarebytes found nothing... but it cleared for another person.

"Thanks for the response Danny. I sourced it to a chrome extension that somehow managed to install itself. Not sure where the extension came from, and it really could have been anywhere. The odd thing is that it seemed to be injecting ad words to boards.ie posts only, as I frequent a number of other forums where they are running vBulletin such as Somethingawful.com, and there was no sign of it. It could have been anything really. "
                          Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 12-01-12, 09:16.

Comment

on a diff note altogether are you getting emails from comptia mrsFD?

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                              I don't think I have got one from comptia recently. November was the last. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                I can't reply to you. Your inbox is full. email me at gcarr1972 at hotmail dot com

Comment

Your PM box is full loopz

Comment

Working...
                                  X