Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
    I haven't made any argument on what is or isn't "being Irish". I am simply saying that to be our leader (or indeed the leader of any sovereign, independent, free country) I believe that that person should be of that country and be reared there.
    Even if that was a legitimate reservation, and I don't think it is, Leo is as much of this country as you or I country and was reared here.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

SP - I'm not making an argument otherwise on the part of Varadkar. I'd have significant other reasons for not wanting him as our Taoiseach including a personal meeting with him when he was a Minister when I found him to be one of the nastiest, smarmy individuals that I ever came across.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          So wait, I guess my kids or my brothers kids or my sisters kids don't count as Irish as one of their parents is non-Irish like Leo? Never mind me as I'm living abroad, but my sister's kid didn't leave the country until she was ten, and then only for three days. Yet she won't count as Irish enough to be taoiseach in arazi's kingdom. This despite the fact that on our side that my sister is from a family that founded Laois and has been settled there for well over 2000 years. But one dodgy non-Irish parent and out you go - no being taoiseach for you.
          Read what I fcking said will you Hitch.

Just for absolute clarity. In my kingdom to be the leader of my people you must share our heritage (you don't need to be 100% pure, if you want to put a number on it then one grandparent would be fine) and most importantly you need to be have been raised amongst us. And I'll apologise to nobody for having that view.
          Last edited by Arazi; 18-01-20, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
            SP - I'm not making an argument otherwise on the part of Varadkar. I'd have significant other reasons for not wanting him as our Taoiseach including a personal meeting with him when he was a Minister when I found him to be one of the nastiest, smarmy individuals that I ever came across.
            Decent bit of personal animosity between Martin and him maybe we'll end up with something like this

Comment

Tbh I don't think there is a decent candidate for Taoiseach amongst any of the political leaders. I'd never vote FG myself but of all of the senior political figures in the state the one whom I like the most is Simon Coveney.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                Netflix really do true crime amazingly. New Aaron Hernandez documentary is captivating viewing.
                Good shout. Didn't know the story before watching which kept it interesting to the end.
                Its one very fckd up story.

Comment

Comment

But thats Leo? Didn't you start by saying you don't think Leo fits, or have I you confused with something else.

I don't agree with the general point anyway as don't get the idea of needing Irish genetic strands, its a mad idea. Or indeed having been brought up here. Politicians largely manage the economy and deliver public services - just vote whoever the fck can do that properly. Taoiseach are also only one part of their overall political party and have limited individual power.

But then again we're a democracy and we all have a vote that counts the same!
                    I hope that you've confused me with Paddy Holohan.

By your rational we'd be better off looking for a foreign manager so, maybe one of the also rans in the US Presidential Election, or maybe a Russian where Putin is unlikely to be usurped from power for some time.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Good shout. Didn't know the story before watching which kept it interesting to the end.
                          Its one very fckd up story.
                          Compulsive viewing. The last half hour really got me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Sure am. Last 2 episodes have been the best of the season so far. Back enjoying it, instead of enduring it! What do you think?
                            Exact same, watched the last 2 back to back the other night.

SPOILER
                            I may have cried a little.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Always bound to happen.

One controversy that's arisen in the college game is the amount of money given by individuals associated with the likes of Adidas/Nike/UA/various colleges to HS athletes to commit to schools.

It's obviously a poorly kept secret but what's interesting about it is that I fully believe the players should be given some type of financial reward outside of a scholarship in light of the revenue generated by teams.

Duke last year had Zion Williamson who just signed the largest rookie sneaker deal of all time. They generated 35m last year in revenues from the basketball team alone, 31m of which was profit.

Coaches have lost jobs and players have lost their eligibility as a result of being embroiled in payments which I think is quite tragic.
                              As we know, it's often the only path for kids to get out of their situations and to lose their opportunities because they have taken 5k-10k to often help out their family is awful.

Quite a few athletes in basketball are no longer playing in college before going to the NBA, instead choosing a year is OZ or NZ which has forced the NCAA to look at means of retaining these cash cows.

It's something that really irks me especially as such a small proportion of athletes end up playing at the professional level yet generate such sums for universities while being treated as amateur.
                              There are similarities to be drawn with GAA to an extent but the sums are so vast it's hard to comprehend how the NCAA have been able to get away with it for so long.

Bit of an off topic rant but any mention of American sports and I try to steer it towards basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

There are similarities to be drawn with GAA to an extent but the sums are so vast it's hard to comprehend how the NCAA have been able to get away with it for so long.
                                South Park Season 15 Episode 1505 ~ Crack Baby Athletic AssociationSouth Park Season 15 Episode 5 ~ Crack Baby Athletic AssociationSouth Park Season 15 ~ Cra...
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Do you have family members or friends who have to put up with casual racism every day of their lives?
                                  Get out of your bubble and listen to people who are living it. If you do you'll find that there are degrees experienced, from the trivial 'Where are you really from?' to verbal and physical assaults. Ignoring the casual everyday stuff allows the the cynical populist politician to inflame those who are a real threat.
                                  I see racism in all its forms everyday of the week. Im not in any bubble. Personally I have never experienced it, but I do have a wealth of experience of being singled out and being a target for peoples jokes and for their nasty and disgusting comments. I learned to distinquish between people who are just morons and are to be pitied more than anything and the ones who were inherently nasty. If we dont distinquish these things then we dilute the argument , not for people who already get it, but for the masses that need to be argued at and educated. Thats the real issue. Most intelligent people get it, unfortunatly they are in the minority in this world. The world has been fighting racism with the same approach for as long as its been an issue. It hasnt worked. Racism is still a massive issue here, the Uk and of course the US.

Irish people have a real problem with asylum seekers, that might be a generalisation but I do think its accurate refelction of the view of the masses. Is it because they dont like the colour of their skin or is it because they see them getting handed council houses etc when they leave direct provision or that they are thrust into communities that ar not ready for such dramtic social change. There is a difference, but its all classed as racism.

Travellers have long been a target for disdain in this country but not all of a sudden your racist if you complain that they litter a community or park their convoys and decide to set up camp along a road or in a persons field. Its political correctness gone bananas and we as a society are suffering because of it. We have gone soft on issues which allows the more hardened elements of our society to thrive because we are too afraid to tackle them with any measure that would make a difference.

My point is political correctness has taken any real meaning out of racism as far as many people are concerned. That allows populist nonsense to thrive and politicians to capitalise on it. Questioning the heritage of our political leader is moronic and he deserves whatever sanctions come his way. This is a case of a guy who is just out of his depth. He also talked about scumbag girls blackmailing guys. Im sure that goes on, but its not ok for a politician to say it without statistical evidence to back it up. I feel he is going for the Healy Rae approach of saying what he feels rather than whats pc.

Rant over
                                  pandapower99.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                                    Irish people have a real problem with asylum seekers, that might be a generalisation but I do think its accurate refelction of the view of the masses. Is it because they dont like the colour of their skin or is it because they see them getting handed council houses etc when they leave direct provision or that they are thrust into communities that ar not ready for such dramtic social change. There is a difference, but its all classed as racism.

Travellers have long been a target for disdain in this country but not all of a sudden your racist if you complain that they litter a community or park their convoys and decide to set up camp along a road or in a persons field. Its political correctness gone bananas and we as a society are suffering because of it. We have gone soft on issues which allows the more hardened elements of our society to thrive because we are too afraid to tackle them with any measure that would make a difference.

My point is political correctness has taken any real meaning out of racism as far as many people are concerned. That allows populist nonsense to thrive and politicians to capitalise on it. Questioning the heritage of our political leader is moronic and he deserves whatever sanctions come his way. This is a case of a guy who is just out of his depth. He also talked about scumbag girls blackmailing guys. Im sure that goes on, but its not ok for a politician to say it without statistical evidence to back it up. I feel he is going for the Healy Rae approach of saying what he feels rather than whats pc.

Rant over
                                    In one breath you make what is correctly a generalisation that the majority of Irish people have a problem with asylum seekers and in the next you call for a politician to back up his claims with statistical evidence. I believe you should have some statistical evidence to back up that incorrect generalisation.

The majority of Irish people likelu dont have a problem with asylum seekers because if the majority had a problem with it, the resources being used towards direct provision would be directed elsewhere and their acceptance rates would be down but the truth is

Statistics on the number of decisions taken in 2018 reveal that in countries such as Cyprus, Switzerland, Ireland, Portugal and Slovenia the
                                    number of positive first instance decisions was significantly higher or slightly lower than the number of
                                    negative decisions.

Additionally Ireland has been at capacity for direct provision for quite a while and although high rental prices certainly mean that asylum seekers are at a greater risk of homelessness which is also acknowledged, Ireland has been relatively accepting of asylum seekers(even growing year on year from 2016-2018).

The issue with travellers from a racism perspective is the fact that bigots like Peter Casey can generate publicity by claiming that he will make it is mission to tax travellers as though the 30,000 travellers in ireland will have some type of tangible impact on the bottom line of the country by either removing their welfare benefits or taxing any income they generate. I don't believe that a disadvantaged minority which accounts for approximately 0.6% of the population warrants the level of diatribe that has been directed on them in recent years by Casey and alike. That targeted effort to use some salient examples of their lifestyle choices and law breaking as a means of generating support is quite deplorable and certainly counts as very blatant racism to me.

Your points regarding political correctness and being soft on issues hold no weight to be honest and it's largely the rhetoric that contributes to the problems and not the solutions.

Comment

Top marks for probably the most nonsense rant ever ranted.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Irish people have a real problem with asylum seekers, that might be a generalisation but I do think its accurate refelction of the view of the masses.
                                        I Don't think that is true but if it is then it will feature prominently it in the election.

Is it because they dont like the colour of their skin or is it because they see them getting handed council houses etc when they leave direct provision or that they are thrust into communities that ar not ready for such dramtic social change. There is a difference, but its all classed as racism.
                                        Certainly the argument was made loudly and clearly by some communities that they were only NIMBYS and not racists... usually when standing beside a few dozen far right 'activists' who perhaps had just happened to turn up in their communities. Its easy to get confused.

Travellers have long been a target for disdain in this country but now all of a sudden your racist if you complain that they litter a community or park their convoys and decide to set up camp along a road or in a persons field. Its political correctness gone bananas and we as a society are suffering because of it.
                                        That is simply not true. Reporting littering, illegal encampments etc. is your civic duty.
                                        Calling people names, treating them differently to other citizens because of who they are, being active in civil society and resisting the very limited attempts to house and educate all citizens equally those are thigns we could characterise as racist.
                                        Calling it what it is is not the problem, ignoring it is.

Comment

The idea that you are not fit for government here, unless you are "steeped in Irish heritage" or have a 100% pure Irish bloodline is laughable.

Classical Irish heritage (what ever the fuck that is) or Irish DNA has little or nothing to do with the mindset, values and aspirations of the average Irish person. Netflix or Penny's probably have a larger share of their psyche. The increase in diversity in the last 30 years has been a big positive for the country. Long may it continue.

Making a judgement on a person's ability based on their cultural background is the definition of racism. It is strictly prohibited in employment law. By all means judge Leo, or any of them, on their track record and what they say or said. Determining their value as a politician on race or heritage is wrong and leads to terrible decisions and poor, often dangerous leadership.

I'd rather a Martian with a political science degree leading the country than a direct descendant of Fionn mac Cumhaill.

Leo is a neoliberal snake and does not have the countries best interests at heart IMHO, but that's another story.
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I think Leo is great. Hope he's at the helm for another five years at least.

Have never considered him anything other than an Irish man.

Comment

That is simply not true. Reporting littering, illegal encampments etc. is your civic duty.
                                              There ius a group of travellers housed at ther bottom of the Knocklyon Road and the site (houses) backs onto the Dodder with a high wall seperating them. Between the wall and the river there is a walkway for people to walk.

Now since I've been a kid they have fucked everything from litter/bins to washing machines/furniture over the wall.

There's a local business page I follow on Facebook who took pics the other day of the build up and posted it with a very non-descript "the perpetual cycle - when will something be done".

Well, they may as well have spouted the most vile racist anti-traveller bile they could have for the responces. Absolutely hammered. 2020 folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                I think Leo is great. Hope he's at the helm for another five years at least.

Have never considered him anything other than an Irish man.
                                                Would you consider his tenure as Taoiseach a success? And if so, what are the positives for you?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                  Would you consider his tenure as Taoiseach a success? And if so, what are the positives for you?
                                                  Business is booming. There's a job for anyone that wants one.
                                                  Unlike the days of Bertie, it feels like it's built on solid foundations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                    Business is booming. There's a job for anyone that wants one.
                                                    Unlike the days of Bertie, it feels like it's built on solid foundations.
                                                    And that counts as a successful term in charge?

Think it would have gone on a naturally upward curve anyway as it was always going to happene when things picked up after a recession.

Comment

This looks like a good watch:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Played a game of Padel in Bushy Park last night. First I had ever heard of it. Highly enjoyable variant of tennis, would recommend.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padel_(sport)

Comment

Almost reassuring to see Leinster struggle to dominate for a change!

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                            Played a game of Padel in Bushy Park last night. First I had ever heard of it. Highly enjoyable variant of tennis, would recommend.

Can you rent rackets etc there?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post

I often watch the French Boules behind it on Summer weekends and think it would be a nice afternoon with a flask of coffee and and side mixer.

Comment

And that counts as a successful term in charge?

Think it would have gone on a naturally upward curve anyway as it was always going to happene when things picked up after a recession.
                                                                Nah, imagine the Shinners formed a government with a rag tag bunch of economic leftie loons.

Think back to that pic of Tallaght in the 80s that Silver Tiger posted a couple of days ago.

That would be Ireland. An economic wasteland. Intel's campus would be a needle littered shell.

Recovery is to be credited to FG.

Comment

So that's twice you've deflected from the original question? Does that count as a successful term in charge? Great progress in one sector?

Comment

So that's twice you've deflected from the original question? Does that count as a successful term in charge? Great progress in one sector?
                                                                    Obviously there's work to be done in other areas, Housing being the prime example. The single most important thing for any government to do well is to create a stable and thriving economy. Everything else flows from that.

Housing is a monumental problem that is going to require 10 to 15 years to fix. FF's desperate management of it is the reason we got fucked.

Health another one, no government has managed to get it right, another monumental problem.

So yes, I believe his tenure has been a success.

Comment

Comment

The recovery by itself would have been confined to Dublin if not for specific state policy to get the regions involved too.

There are way more jobs and investments now going to the regions. Huge investment in the regions also - the broadband example being a big one (and I think a worthy one). The 2040 capital investment plan includes a huge regional upgrade in all manner of services. That strikes me as something that can be specifically laid at the hands of the government.
                                                                        You should follow Elaine Fennelly on LinkedIn, she does PR for the crystalvalley group which promotes tech in the South East. She got a mention in the IT today regarding it and I actually work for one of the companies she promotes. She is good fun on it with stuff like "Look what you can buy in the SouthEast for 500k vs Dublin". Its all a little tongue in cheek but she does a great job at generating publicity.

Comment

Thanks, some interesting points made. Re-reading my posts sound quite hostile towards you Lazare but that's definitely not meant as a direct dig obvs. Living up here I've no idea who to vote for so looking to get peoples thoughts on things. Was easier at home, just vote for a Healy Rae and know youd be looked after with whatever you wanted. Politicians up here come across as a bunch of cunts whenever I talk to them

Comment

I'm not in Ireland, so take this for what its worth, which is probably nought.

It is a two horse race realistically.

Fianna Fail don't deserve another chance just yet. Giving them a chance is one part recency bias, one part confirmation bias, lots of part nostalgia.

Fianna Fail presided over western societies, and definitely Europes greatest economic expansion.

The were in power directly for the best part of 25 years, that saw Ireland take a step from backwater to booming economy.

They can largely be credited for this imo, at least steering policy in a way that gave business some stability.

What did they do with this boom, and this money?

Corruption.

Mismanagement.

They had money and power at a time when sensible thinking would have given us a world class health service.

FF's developer centric policy introduced part v social housing and defunded council building programs, which guts the ability of local council's to build houses (it takes someone who knows how to do it to build a house and there are none in councils). It's going to take almost a generation of support to get home building ability back into council's. So while FG have been very poor it's another wonderful legacy of FF and the Bertie developer friendly era.

The vast majority of their policy was pandering for votes, this pandering has now left the health service, public services, education in a very very constraint heavy environment so much so that navigating a way out of the systemic problems will be near impossible. This was implemented by FF yet FG are now getting the stick for this (this is the recency bias I am talking about).

90% of our current problems are because of the structure and institutions FF implemented when we had money, credit and options. They implemented most of these to appease and keep a hold on power. Power they used for corruption with Bertie and his brown envelope developer era.

Ultimately they left us broke. (you can argue this was a global crisis, but its a little watery)

The leadership of FF is a member of the old guard. I can't believe the cronyism is gone with MM in charge.

So while I have been telling friends and family to read manifestos, plans and policy I have also told them to keep an extra layer of skepticism for FF, because they need to.

FG took us from the bottom, now we're here.

What makes you think giving the steering wheel to FF in another relative boom time, given all the available evidence we have, is a good idea?
                                                                            Last edited by Theresa; 18-01-20, 16:48.
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Thanks, some interesting points made. Re-reading my posts sound quite hostile towards you Lazare but that's definitely not meant as a direct dig obvs. Living up here I've no idea who to vote for so looking to get peoples thoughts on things. Was easier at home, just vote for a Healy Rae and know youd be looked after with whatever you wanted. Politicians up here come across as a bunch of cunts whenever I talk to them
                                                                              Didn't come across that way at all dude.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                Can you rent rackets etc there?
                                                                                Yeah, think it works out 8.50 per person for the hour, includes rackets, balls and think a charge of 2e for the lights also. He let us out early and finish late as the court was free, which was sound.

We played doubles, every court was in fact. Booked again for the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                  Montpellier is awesome! enjoy!!
                                                                                  Fuckin funkytown.

Currently eating octopus and trying to stop the least able member of our party fighting with the barman over the result of Toulon-Bayonne.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Seems to be a growing number of golfers on here. Nice way to plan out the year.....

Our panel of experts butt heads to ultimately land on what we believe to be the top 100 courses on the island of Ireland. Do you think we got it right? #IrishGolfer #IGMTop100
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Played 44 of them but only 4 of top ten. Need to work on that list. Castleknock well overdue for an entry.

Comment

Anyone given this a go or something similar a go yet? It is a proper free-roaming warehouse VR experience in Dublin.

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

I just can't see any reason not to vote FG. They get a serious bashing on social media for not fixing perennial issues, but is there any specific policy they've had that anyone has a specific issue with? Is there anything that can specifically be improved by handing the reins to FF? Are FF going to magically fix health on the next go around?

FF are a backwards rural socially conservative party. There's literally nothing appealing about them. Sure give the ruling party a kicking in meaningless second order elections, but not in the general election.

Those lads want to charge everyone who watches Netflix, a broadcasting charge in order to prop up RTE. They're last century politics

Comment

I went to bed and woke up for the McGregor fight, understandably people don't have any time for him but I wanted to see how he'd respond after the last loss and subsequent break.

Easy comprehensive win and as a result the hype he'll generate now after that result will be ridiculous.
                                                                                              He is going to be absolutely everywhere once again, every guy in the UFC must pleading to make them the next opponent, the gap in pay between fighting him or anyone else must be incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                I went to bed and woke up for the McGregor fight, understandably people don't have any time for him but I wanted to see how he'd respond after the last loss and subsequent break.

Easy comprehensive win and as a result the hype he'll generate now after that result will be ridiculous.
                                                                                                He is going to be absolutely everywhere once again, every guy in the UFC must pleading to make them the next opponent, the gap in pay between fighting him or anyone else must be incredible.
                                                                                                If he goes back down to lw, he gets destroyed by khabib. Looking forward to it. If he stays at ww, best of luck to him lol.

Comment

Sunday times poll has FF pissing it.
                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                    Sunday times poll has FF pissing it.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                      Played 44 of them but only 4 of top ten. Need to work on that list. Castleknock well overdue for an entry.
                                                                                                      I struggle to understand how Tramore ranks in around the top 40 on one Irish list and fails to make the Top 100 on another.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                        Second election in May so?

Or are FF/FG going again?
                                                                                                        Last edited by Dice75; 19-01-20, 10:32.

Comment

Expect to see Fianna Fail to wrap the green flag round them and go full blown nationalist after that bump which appears to come from triggering morons with the phrase Black and Tan's

Comment

Comment

Calvin Nash fts 11/1. Great price

Comment

Fianna Fail 1/5 and shortening.
                                                                                                                This bleedin country.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  Fianna Fail 1/5 and shortening.
                                                                                                                  This bleedin country.
                                                                                                                  Charlie Flanagan absolutely floundering when on with Aine Lawlor. I don't think the refusal of FF/FG to deal with SF is playing particularly well, I wouldn't be surprised to see SF surpass FG which is a scary thought.

I thought Alan Kelly came across quite well tbf. Given Labour's redline position on pensions and FF likely to target a similar base,I think a FF/Lab+ someone else, 20s+ on that combination looks an ok shout.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    State of the electorate

Comment

Goddamn cheese eating surrender monkeys

Comment

Goddamn cheese eating surrender monkeys
                                                                                                                        What a tough win by sarries though. Pure grit

Comment

Unless a miracle happens in toulouse, we're looking at leinster Saracens qf!

Now that they've been relegated, this is all they have to play for. Tough one

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X