Get healthy and fit of course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get healthy and fit of course

Alright, I wasn't going to bother with a log because my plans for the year, health and fitness wise, were quite similiar to Lao Lao's plans posted here and I got a ton of good info from there so didn't see the need. But I do have a few q's and there's no harm in having a thread to keep me motivated http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ead.php?t=7246
    My aims aren't too specific. I'm not looking for any drastic weight loss, however I would like to cut some fat especially around the stomach area but I'm hoping this will come as a by-product of my main aim which is to be able to participate in a triathalon by the year's end.

At the minute I'm in decent shape physically but am very unfit. I'm 5'11' and roughly 12-12.5 stone. Basically my plan is to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and alternate between cardio and weights. I will most likely focus on the programme Emmet posted in the above thread and focus on high intensity interval training on the treadmill/bike/cross-trainer, most likely alternating the days between cardio and weights. I haven't been in the gym in a few weeks now with Christmas and all that but will be back in again on Monday.

The other thing is diet. My diet wasn't great the past year but wasn't terrible either. Anyway, over the last few days I've tried to incorporate some of the advice from Lao Lao's thread into my diet.

I'll give yesterday's and today's meals so far:

Yesterday:

Breakfast: One boiled, one bowl of 4 weetabix, normal milk

Lunch: Big tin of tuna

Dinner: Steak, mushrooms, brocolli, carrots, potatoes. Now that wouldnt be a regular dinner for me; it's alot healthier than I'd usually have but I'm going to try keep it up.

Late night snack: Bowl of 4 weetabix, milk.

Today:

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs.

Lunch: A white roll with butter, smoked salmon, lettuce and black pepper.

Dinner: Roast chicken with potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, sprouts, gravy.

Some of the foods I regularly intake that may have to be axed: milk (~2 litres a day), bread (eat quite a lot of rolls), smoked salmon, pasta & pasta sauces, potatoes. Would have been eating a fair amount of junk food but obv I realise I have to avoid this.
    Now considering my aim isn't exactly to lose weight, more get fit and cut some fat, is it important that I drop the above items? I would find milk pretty hard to drop completely but I can certainly cut it down. I will drop the white bread pretty easily. Not sure if the smoked salmon is even bad but I'm sure it's not good.

The thing is I have no problem having a protein-heavy diet as outlined in LaoLao's thread but I have trouble having a dinner with no carbs. I'll happily guzzle through a large amount of tuna, turkey, chicken, steak etc but it's very rare I'd have a dinner without spuds/pasta/rice. What sort of alternatives do ye recommend? I read Jackybacks post in the thread that was very good and gave a few ideas for good foods but most of the dinner plans were protein-rich meats accompanied by just salad or veg. Anyone know about the pastas available in health shops, would they be any use?

You probably don't want to hear it but i would reduce your milk intake and replace full fat with slimline when you are using it. Likewise on the white bread i would try cut this out also. Eating pasta is ok in moderation and can be used as a replacement to some meals instead of boring salad Your height/weight ratio is not too bad at all, have you had any BMI / BF assesment done as this will give you an idea on what your starting point is.

If you are training 4/5 times a week in particular doing weights try get a good bit of protein into your diet for muscle recovery. Best of luck with the log

Comment

Smoked salmon is fine imo,
      but the rest have to go, bread milk rice spuds, or at least be cut down, as these never reallly go totally.
      As for an alternative to carbs, i'm a big fan of broccolli and cauliflower as veggies. High in vitamins and antioxidents (eg broccolli has almost twice the vitamin c as oranges /100g), plus they are low in carbs and calories

Comment

Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
          Cheers for the advice. Diet seems to be going alright. Had a chicken fillet last night with some veg and just one spud but tonight I'll just go for the meat and some veg. Heading to the gym in a while and I'm planning on doing cardio today. Just wondering, with regard the swimming, are there programmes that people use in the water or would ye just get in and aim for a certain number of lenghts? Also, is there any advantage in doing the different strokes or should I just stick to the front crawl?
          Here is 17 swim sessions i normally use and vary in my training. If your starting from scratch you may want to reduce the distances until you build up your swim endurance and also build from the earlier routines as they are shorter.
          This site is also very helpful. Apologies about layout but i cannot attach an excel file.

# Swim Session Description
          1 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12 x100 @20sec, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
          2 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x125 @ 20sec, 2x175 @ 30 secs, 3x125 @ 20secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
          3 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 1x400 @ 60 secs, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
          4 300 warm up, 8x50 drills, 1x300 @ 40 secs, 3x200 @ 30 secs, 1x300 @ 30 secs, 8x50 drills and 200 cool down
          5 2500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
          6 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 4x200 @ 20 secs, 6x100 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          7 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 16x25 @ 10 secs, 600 pull, 16x25 drills @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          8 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 4x100 @ 20 secs, 10x50 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          9 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 200-300-400-500 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          10 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 7x125 @ 20 secs, 7x75 @ 15 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          11 3000 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)
          12 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 12x75 @ 20 secs, 12x50 @ 15 secs, 12x25 @ 10 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          13 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x400 @ 45 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
          14 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 6x(50+100+150) @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills, 300 cool down
          15 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 5x200 @ 30 secs, 5x100 @ 20 secs, 5x50 @ 10 secs, 6x25 @ 5 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          16 500 warm up, 8x50 drills, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 4x250 @ 30 secs, 3x150 @ 20 secs, 8x50 drills and 300 cool down
          17 3500 straight swim at comfortable pace (75-80% perceived effort)

Comment

Okay so I went to the gym on Monday and yesterday. Had forgotten how unfit I was. Did some interval training on the crosstrainer, a bit of running and some cycling but barely even clocked up 4k overall. So I have a lot to work on fitness wise. On Tuesday I was only in for a short while so did a small mix of weights and cardio and then went swimming. Again, I had forgotten how bad I was at this too, barely managing 10 lengths in a 25m pool.

Diet wise I have stuck to some things quite well. My breakfast every day has been two eggs. Meant to ask it is alright to be eating this amount of eggs or should I find an alternative protein source for breakfast? I had one slip up yesterday at lunch opting for chips and sausages. Dinner was chicken, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, rice and uncle bens sweet and sour sauce. Dinner the night before was a lot of tuna, some pasta and a tomato sauce. So I think I'm doing quite well on the diet front, obviously I need to drop the sauces and try not to go for a fatty lunch again but overall it has been going decent. I haven't had any junk food snacks and am eating a healthy amount of fruit and veg. So all in all, an okay start but plenty of work to do fitness wise.

Comment

My breakfast every day has been two eggs. Meant to ask it is alright to be eating this amount of eggs or should I find an alternative protein source for breakfast?
              Two eggs is perfect.
              Eggs got a bad rep a few years ago with chlolestrol being scrutinised by the media and doctors alike.
              But as we now know, there are two kinds of chlolestrol, HDL and LDL, or good and bad. Bad chlolestrol levels is more about your ratio of good to bad than it is about total levels (which is important too). Which is why its given as two numbers, like BP.

Eggs are rich in the good kind, so they could potentially help improve the situation. Plus, blood chlolestrol levels have been show are a function of overall diet, not dietry chlolestrol levels. Which means eating crap gives you high chlolestrol, not eating foods that contain good chlolestrol (foods high in bad chlolestrol would be considered crap, so they'd be bad for you)

Dinner was chicken, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, rice and uncle bens sweet and sour sauce.
              Chicken broc and cauli is fine. Prob 3 best dinner ingredients you'll eat regularly.
              Go easy with corn, its very high in sugar. Don't have it as a regular veg.
              Watch the rice portion size. Start weighing it and use pack data get estimate cals, you prob be shocked at how high it is.
              Uncle bens sauces are crap. Full of sugar, and additives. I've stopped using packed sauces and instead use fresh strong flavours. vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, chilli. Taste is no different, benefits are huge

Comment

Cheers for that Mellor, some very useful advice there. I wouldn't have been aware of the high sugar levels in corn. Are there any other veg that I shouldn't regularly eat?
                Last night dinner was the remainder of the cauliflower, brocolli and corn, this time with pasta, tuna and a tomato sauce.
                Yesterday's lunch was a chicken fillet and some brocolli, cauliflower and peas.
                Breakfast today was two eggs again and lunch was chicken rice peppers and a tikka sauce (bought in the canteen in college where there isn't much choice).
                I'm definitely going to get rid of the sauces and stock up on the naturally strong flavoured food that you mentioned. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Best of luck FM.

Comment

Cheers for that Mellor, some very useful advice there. I wouldn't have been aware of the high sugar levels in corn. Are there any other veg that I shouldn't regularly eat?
                    They are all fine in moderation, but its better to weigh it towards the better ones.
                    The ones I avoid having too often are dense root veg. (turnip, carrots etc). Amd when I do, its always maybe 1/3 of my veg.

Basically, 100 cals of brocolli is more filling than 100 cals of dense veg, due to the physical size of the portion

I'm definitely going to get rid of the sauces and stock up on the naturally strong flavoured food that you mentioned. Thanks for all the advice
                    This is one of the best diet changes imo. One you start using dry spices you'll be amazed at the flavours and style you mix up.

Comment

Still going well on the diet; dinner last night was 3 scrambled eggs with a large tin of tuna and some brocolli. I probably won't ever eat this combination again, wasn't at all appetising tbh. Breakfast this morning was 2 eggs again.

I have completely cut out white bread and don't plan on buying any sauces any time soon but I have only marginally cut down on the milk. I have cut it completely out of my breakfast but I still have a pint of it with my lunch and ~1l in the evening/night. I'm going to start by cutting it out of my lunches and go from there. With regard the slimline milk, is this different to low fat milk? I couldn't see any slimline milk in the shops the last few days unless ye source it elsewhere?

I'm heading to the gym later on this evening so will post up what I did. Hoping to put in a good session of weights, rowing, cross-trainer and some swimming. I'll also weigh my self before the session and try and get my body fat measured.

Comment

Lunch today: Fillet of fish with carrots and peas

Should probably have mentioned I am a light smoker; average about 4/5 a day. I have no doubt this has a big impact on my fitness capabilities and I am trying to cut down on them.

Comment

Havent updated lately because I'm doing exams atm. The diet is still going well but haven't had time to go to the gym lately. May go for a run/cycle tonight.

Comment

Exams nearly coming to an end so will be back to a proper regime come Monday and will be updating this more regularly. Haven't made it to the gym at all since I was on last and my only exercise has been a run one night but that's just down to lack of time and tiredness.

I've kept the diet up pretty well, been flying through chicken fillets the last week, my meal most nights was 2 chicken breasts pan-fried with stir fry veg (incl corn mushrooms bean sprouts red/yellow peppers carrots brocolli) some pasta and soy sauce. Haven't gone near the packaged sauces lately; just been putting some chilli powder on the chicken and soy sauce too. Had a few minor slip ups but nothing drastic so happy enough with that.

Just said I'd post something up so it doesn't look like I've given up on this. I certainly haven't and plan to be in the gym 3/4 times a week from Monday onwards.

Comment

First day back in the gym in a while now. Covered 4km on threadmill and bike and did about 30 mins weight session covering bicep curls, upward row, pull ups, dips, chest presses, and some sit ups.

Diet has been going well, have completely stopped using the packaged sauces. I am eating a lot of veg and a lot of protein so should be on the right track. Milk is still a big problem though - still getting through ~2litres a day. Where is the "slimline" milk available? Is there any point in subbing to low-fat milk?

Diet today as example, most days have been similiar enough..

Brekkie: 2 boiled eggs

Protein shake post workout

Snack: Tin of tuna and some lettuce with a teaspoon of mayonnaise

Dinner: Chicken, potatoes, leek, carrots, brocolli, gravy.

Comment

Absolutely dying with a hangover today, ate a 3 egg scrambled egg with cherry tomatoes and parsley, served with some rocket leaves. Was pretty tasty.

Not going to make it to the gym today but may go for a run later.

Comment

hangover gym sessions are brilliant.

Try it, you will thank me an hour after it.

Comment

I must say it's pretty disappointing reading back through that. 8 months on and not too much has changed for me tbh. However I'm happy to say I'll be getting back into the swing of things this evening.

Fitness wise I can't say there's been any change. Whenever I've worked on cardio in the past year (and there was a 1 or 2 month spell at the start of the summer where I ran 3/4 times a week) I just haven't seen results. It's really frustrating because only 3 years ago I had no trouble with it. The only thing I can blame is cigarettes. Although I'm not a heavy smoker (avg 5 a day) my breathing is very bad when I'm running. Like I'll pretty much be out of breath after a kilometer and just push through another 2 or 3 when I'm running. Not sure if I could give them up atm so will just try and get other aspects of this back on track first. Mainly the diet.

I stuck to a pretty good diet since January it has to be said, with takeaways and sauces etc being used a lot less than last year. However, I regularly eat bread again after a few months off it. Also I've been eating quite a lot of junk food lately. I also stopped having 2 eggs for breakfast which I kept up until the summer. The last 3 weeks I've been having a banana for breakfast which really can't be good because I'm always starving come lunch. Anyways I haven't forgotten any of the tips I've read in the numerous logs on here and I'll be making the following changes to my diet from here on in:

- Cut down on milk
                                    - Snack on fruit/nuts during day
                                    - Less late night munchies
                                    - Cut out bread
                                    - Reduce calorie intake at dinner (less pasta/spuds)
                                    - 2 egg brekkie

I would say (without having checked) that I'm pretty much the same weight as I was in January although I will get everything checked next week when I join a new gym.

QQs:
                                    - Does anyone know where I can get a decent speedometer or whatever you'd call it? Something I can attach to my shorts that measures how far I've run? Think I'd have much more motivation if I actually knew what distances I was doing/aiming to do. Pretty sure any run I've done in the last 3 years has been <5k.

- Going for a run in a while and want to properly try the HIIT. So the routine is run/sprint/walk right? Just wondering what a basic programme here would be? Maybe run 300m/sprint 100/walk 100?

TL;DR: Diet kept up to ok standards, fitness still needs a lot of work, take 2 underway ...

Comment

OK so the run yesterday didn't go well. Jogged around 500m, then made 3 pathetic attempts at HIIT before jogging back. Did eat well though.

I'm joining a gym next week but plan on going for a session on Saturday if my necks alright (just have a small creak). So I'm going to throw up my usual gym workout here and see what people think:

Dumbell Bench: 4/5 X 6-8 reps (~80lbs)
                                      Unassisted Dips: 3 X 15 reps
                                      Pull Ups: 3/4 X 8-10 reps
                                      Bicep Curls: 4 X 8-10 reps

That is unfortunately about all I can do in the gym. I'm not familiar with the techniques for squats, bench presses (unassisted), deadlifts, barbell rows, etc. So when I join next week that will be one of the first things I get sorted. I've watched youtube videos recommended by some of ye but I don't feel comfortable doing it as I haven't really got a clue if I'm doing it right.

I usually throw in some machine weights like the leg press, tricep one, etc. and do a small bit of core work & cardio. But my plan from here on in is to become familiar with the compound lifts and base my workouts around these. So mainly doing squats deadlifts and bench presses with some other weights. Also doing a small bit of cardio in every session such as 5 x 150m sprints during each session. And finally increasing the amount of core work I do by a significant margin. TomD posted the following core exercises in the main fitness thread and a quick google shows them to be pretty manageable so I will include these in my sessions:

For the core:
                                      Plank
                                      Russian twists
                                      Plate shifting
                                      T pushups
                                      Turkish getups

So the plan for the future is to get to the gym 2/3 times a week and have another 2 days of outdoor cardio work which will involve a short warm up (500m-1k) and then one day will be HIIT and the other hill sprints. HIIT will probably be something along the lines of 300m run, 100m sprint, 150m walk x 4/5 and the hill sprint will be something of similiar intensity. Planning to go for another run tonight so will probably try the hill sprints out.

Comment

Get out the sweeping brush and practise the compound barbell lifts before you start in the gym. You'll feel a bit silly but form is vitally important.

Comment

Or just use the bar itself with no weights on it.

As Emmet said, form >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> weight

I see lads in my gym doing 100kg squats and they barely move, it's laughable actually.

Comment

I'd be extremely surprised if you managed to do this after not being in the gym for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                              I'd be extremely surprised if you managed to do this after not being in the gym for a very long time.
                                              Haven't been in a gym consistently (ie 3/4 times a week) in quite a while but I went maybe once or twice a week in June and July. Haven't been since end of July but hoping I haven't lost much strength.

Comment

Dumbell Bench: 4/5 X 6-8 reps (~80lbs)
                                                Bicep Curls: 4 X 8-10 reps
                                                Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs

Went gym today. Weighed myself as 12 stone 5 lbs which google tells me is 78kg. Pretty happy with that.

Dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 80lbs
                                                Bicep curls 4 x 20 x 10kg (alot harder than I anticipated)
                                                Machine leg press 4 x 15 x 100kg
                                                Pull ups 4 x 6 (struggled alot last set, arms were in bits at this stage)
                                                Dips 3 x 15 (again last set v hard)

Did two 400m sprints at 18km/h on treadmill in between and tried to do some behind the head tricep things but arms were as good as gone. Happy enough with the session though.

Post-workout: Protein shake
                                                Fried diced chicken with peppers brocolli and corn

Was looking like a good day but went out on the sauce then. Plenty of pints and a chicken panini with chips unfortunately. Anyways hoping to make the gym again tomorrow.

Comment

Didn't make it to the gym yesterday - body was aching. I'm still pretty sore today so going to go for a run tonight and gym tomorrow. I'm going to get my body fat checked in there. I have no idea what it currently is but was wondering what is a healthy % to aim for?

Comment

OK going to aim for the gym 3x this week so going to break the sessions up as I'm in bits from Saturday's one.

Tomorrow:

Inclined dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 60lbs
                                                    Inverted Row 4 x 10 x 60lbs
                                                    Pull ups 4 x 6
                                                    Dips 3 x 15
                                                    3 x 300m sprints

2nd session:
                                                    Inverted Row 4 x 10 x 60lbs

Metabolic conditioning (recommended by Theresalwaysone in general thread)
                                                    15 push ups
                                                    10 burpees
                                                    Plank 45 seconds
                                                    Sprint 150m

Repeat 5 times. 2 mins rest in between each set.

10k on bike

3rd session:

Bicep curls 4 x 20 x 10kg
                                                    Pull ups 4 x 6
                                                    Dips 3 x 15
                                                    3 x 300m sprint

Are they split up alright? Or is there certain weights I should do together on one day and others on another?

Comment

Went to the gym on Tuesday. The place was packed and I probably spent more time standing around waiting for bench/weights than actually working out. When I was working out I wasn't doing a good job either

Inclined dumbell bench 4 x 8 x 30kg
                                                      Dumbell bench 2 x 8 x 40kg
                                                      2 x 8 x 30kg
                                                      Bicep curls 2 x 10 x 20kg
                                                      2 x 10 x 15kg
                                                      Machine leg press 2 x 15 x 100kg
                                                      2 x 15 x 90kg
                                                      Pull ups 2 x 6
                                                      Dips 2 x 15
                                                      1 x 10
                                                      400m on treadmill @ 17-18km/h

Wasn't happy with any of the weights to be honest. Felt tired and dehydrated in there so was probably a one off. Going for a run tonight and gym early tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get BF checked and have someone show me the compound lifts.

Diet is going alright. Have been too lazy with the eggs in the morning so think I'll just boil them night before and have cold boiled eggs. Lunches and dinner have been pretty much spot on though; have a small portion of carbs with both but think it's ok. Late night snacks are the only thing that haven't been cut out but I will cut them down gradually.

Comment

Any particular reason you lift dumbbells over the barbell?

Personally think that every time you lift you should use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          Any particular reason you lift dumbbells over the barbell?

Personally think that every time you lift you should use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine.
                                                          Ya I've never really used the barbell unfortunately. And when I go to the gym it's usually on my own so I'm kind of nervous about using it incase I couldn't make the last lift or something. With the dumbells it's very easy to drop them to the ground if there's any trouble. Would you do the benchpress on your own usually or ask someone in there to spot you?

Comment

Ya I've never really used the barbell unfortunately. And when I go to the gym it's usually on my own so I'm kind of nervous about using it incase I couldn't make the last lift or something. With the dumbells it's very easy to drop them to the ground if there's any trouble. Would you do the benchpress on your own usually or ask someone in there to spot you?
                                                            Always ask for a spotter, you get more out of yourself. They'll also encourage another rep that you wouldn't attempt when they feel that you'd make it, which is crazy beneficial for the mental side of progression imo.

Nobody minds spotting, mostly because if someone asks you to spot them, they'll likely return the favour. Just have to ask, I've never heard anyone say no.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              Where you getting this from?

If anything, using Dumbbells is how to use more of your body. Its more awkward on bigger lifts and potentially more dangerous but the above defo doesnt hold true imo.

If you can bench 80kg 3x5. I bet its more than likely you cant Dumbbell bench two 40kg dumbells for 3x5 reps. You get so much more tired so much faster. Your stabilising over two heavy weights not just one that is more or less balanced.

I use Barbells but because they are more stable, they dont punish imbalances (which we all have) like dumbells do, and they are also safer (imo) not because I want to get more of my body used because its not really the case.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sorry, I always forget to use the word safely.

"Personally think that every time you lift you should safely use as much of your body as possible (barbell), especially when working for an "overall" fitness / physique / weightloss routine."

For me, as I've said before, form is king, do it wrong, hurt yourself, lift more than you should, no biggie, you just fail. Lift too many reps, again, you just fail, and you don't hurt yourself as long as your form is right. I think that using a barbell is the safest way to push more of your body. I also like that it maintains a balance across your body and you are forced to correct imbalances in strength. (kind of)

Comment

I'm going to get my body fat checked in there. I have no idea what it currently is but was wondering what is a healthy % to aim for?
                                                                  What's healthy? Very vague, but below 20% you are out of any immediate danger, below 15% you are in good shape, and approaching 10% you're in great shape.
                                                                  The method of measurement is important too, machines where you grip handles or stand on a scales are various degrees of way out.
                                                                  Calipers are good, if in the hands of a guy who can use them, and
                                                                  DEXA scan or BodPod is nuts

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                    What's healthy? Very vague, but below 20% you are out of any immediate danger, below 15% you are in good shape, and approaching 10% you're in great shape.
                                                                    The method of measurement is important too, machines where you grip handles or stand on a scales are various degrees of way out.
                                                                    Calipers are good, if in the hands of a guy who can use them, and
                                                                    DEXA scan or BodPod is nuts
                                                                    I'll probably be looking to get close to 10% so. I'd imagine I'm 14-16 will find out tomorrow.

Comment

10% is what I'd suggest everyone should aim for, but its a long term goal.
                                                                      Bodyfat is a good figure to know, but its not an universal accross all weight ranges. A very skinny guy could have a low BF%, but not be in great shape due to lack of muscle.

Don't be surprised if you are higher than you're estimate. But you never know. you've similar stats to me, so i'll be interested to see what you come in at.

Comment

Went to the gym this morning and somehow it completely slipped my mind to get the BF checked. Anyways will remember next time. The session was better than the last one but I was a bit short of time:

Warm up - 500m on treadmill

Dumbell Bench: 3 X 8 reps @ 12.5kg
                                                                        3 X 8 reps @ 15kg
                                                                        3 X 8 reps @ 17.5kg

400m on treadmill @ 19km/hr

Pull Ups: 3 X 3 reps
                                                                        3 X 6 reps

Unassisted Dips: 3 X 10 reps

400m @ 18.5km/h

Not sure of the name of this one. It involves having one knee and hand on bench for support while other arm lifts weight towards body. Everyone seems to do it. 3 x 10 @25kg for both sides.

Next one was like the lat pulldown with dumbells.
                                                                        1 x 8 x 30kg
                                                                        2 x 6 x 30kg

400m treadmill @ 18km/h

Comment

Unknown exercise is the one arm row.

Use this site for help with any exercise http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Any thoughts on doing Squats? They're the bessssst

Comment

Ya only had an hour to pass in there yesterday so just wanted to get through a few things quickly. Next time I go, which will probably be Monday as I've a weekend of drinking planned, I'll try get someone to show me the form for squats, deadlifts, etc.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Weekend drinking why just do Saturday night instead of the whole thing?

Comment

#40
                                                                                Out after the match & EP tomorrow...

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Not the best week so far, only made the gym on Wed but had a fairly good session:

500m warm up jog
                                                                                  Chin ups 6 x 3
                                                                                  Dips 15 x 3
                                                                                  Leg Press 15x3x90kg
                                                                                  Dumbell bench press 8x2x40kg & 8x1x35kg
                                                                                  400m @ 18.5km/hr
                                                                                  One arm row 6x10x20kg
                                                                                  Lat pulldown with dumbells 3x7x30kg
                                                                                  300m @18km/hr 2 min break 250m @ same speed

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Yesterday's session:

Chin ups 6 x 4
                                                                                    Dips 15 x 2, 10x2
                                                                                    400m @18.5, 2min rest, 300m @19, rest, 300m@ 18.5, rest, 300m@18
                                                                                    Dumbell bench press 8x1x20kg, 8x2x22.5kg, 8x1x20kg
                                                                                    One arm row 10x2x25kg
                                                                                    400m @18.5, 2min rest, 300m @19, rest, 300m@ 18.5
                                                                                    Lat pulldown with dumbells 8x3x30kg

Was very happy with this session, concentrated slightly more on the cardio & I think this is something I will continue to do from now on as I felt great after it.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Looks good, plenty of resistance training in there which is the ticket for weight loss.

Honestly, i'd use the stationary bike or X-trainer for cardio/intervals. The treadmill is horrible for you, really bad for your joints.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                        Looks good, plenty of resistance training in there which is the ticket for weight loss.

Honestly, i'd use the stationary bike or X-trainer for cardio/intervals. The treadmill is horrible for you, really bad for your joints.
                                                                                        You'd have to be on the bike a lot longer to burn the same amount of calories as you would on the treadmill. Treadmill is fine once your not seriously overweight.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Didn't make it to the gym at all the last week or so but was out for a few runs. Signed up for a 10k race in December and a half marathon in April so, although I'm no where near capable of attempting either of these atm, I have more motivation to train now. Will be at the gym later, plan is to run 5km in under 35 mins, probably through HIIT.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Will be at the gym later, plan is to run 5km in under 35 mins, probably through HIIT.
                                                                                            Not hugely important, but if you are running like that for 35mins its not HIIT, just intervals.
                                                                                            HIIT is much more intense and you should be burnt out after 15mins or so.

There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it, and its also much more sustainable. Doing proper HIIT everyday isn't a great idea either.

So keep doing what you are doing. Was just a brief note on HIIT

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Happy enough with yesterday. Completed the 5k on treadmill in 25:14 and although it was a struggle for the last 1-1.5km I'm confident I can have that down to 20:00 by Xmas so I'm setting a provisional target for my 10k race of 43:30 for now. I think by the end of this month I should have a better idea of what a realistic target is so it may be changed but I think 43:30 is achievable.

As for the run yesterday I went for 2km @ 12.5k then increased to 14 before trying to get 400m covered @ 18km but this proved too much and I ended up spending about 2.5 mins walking @ 4km/h. Did 1km more @ 12.5 before walking a small bit and finishing the last 700m at 12.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                25mins is a good time for 5k.
                                                                                                Taking off 5 mins is a big ask. It works out at 20 mins at 15km/h. A nice solid target for 10km, good luck with it

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Anyone know of a site where you could map out runs and it will show you distance? Looking to do an outdoor 5km this evening.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Map my Run is a decent site. There's lots of saed runs from other users, but i just tend to map out the run I am thinking each time then adjust it to get to 5km or what every distance I want.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      This log isn't getting updated enough and that's down to me not training enough. I'm preobably averaging 3/4 sessions every 2 weeks which isn't up to scratch so time to get the head out. Gym tonight, 5k in 24:00 would be nice.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        This log isn't getting updated enough and that's down to me not training enough. I'm preobably averaging 3/4 sessions every 2 weeks which isn't up to scratch so time to get the head out. Gym tonight, 5k in 24:00 would be nice.
                                                                                                        Unfortunately this didn't happen, completed it in 25:30 so 15 seconds more than last time but happy to have got it around 25 mins because I found this run really tough.

When I was finished I did a 5 min cool down and then decided to run another 2km (11:30). Really got the buzz for running last night that I haven't had in a long time. When I was done with the 2k I was well up for doing another 1 at least but the gym was closing soon & I wanted to get in the jacuzzi!

Overall though very pleased with yesterday!

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Gym tonight & the aim is to run 3km @ 15km/h, 5 min rest & 2km @ 15km/h ensuring a ~25min run and should be a good tactic to get me used to the 15km pace.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Gym tonight & the aim is to run 3km @ 15km/h, 5 min rest & 2km @ 15km/h ensuring a ~25min run and should be a good tactic to get me used to the 15km pace.
                                                                                                            I think that's a bad idea tbh.

Your current pace is c.5min, you are attempting to reduce to 4min in one go, thats way too much. Pace is really misleading, 1min looks like nothing, but its huge. Even over 3km. Plus if you are trying to produce your fastest 5km time, a 5min rest in the middle is never going produce it.

If you want to run a 20min 5km by xmas, work on taking the pace down in even jumps each week.
                                                                                                            Speed in km each week 12.5/12.9/13.3/13.6/13.9/14.2/14.4/14.6/14.8/15km,
                                                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 18-10-11, 00:25.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                              I think that's a bad idea tbh.

Your current pace is c.5min, you are attempting to reduce to 4min in one go, thats way too much. Pace is really misleading, 1min looks like nothing, but its huge. Even over 3km. Plus if you are trying to produce your fastest 5km time, a 5min rest in the middle is never going produce it.

If you want to run a 20min 5km by xmas, work on taking the pace down in even jumps each week.
                                                                                                              Speed in km each week 12.5/12.9/13.3/13.6/13.9/14.2/14.4/14.6/14.8/15km,
                                                                                                              Well you're not wrong there at all. Set out to do the 3km but was dying after 1 so took the speed right down for a little break & decided I'd complete 5km at a lower speed. Ended up running it in 24:10 so have to be happy with that.

Gradually raising the pace sounds like a better plan. Yesterday I ran the majority of it on 13km so I will attempt the full 5km at this pace which would make it 23 mins.

Going to the gym tonight for a weights session & probably a small bit of HIIT.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Not great last night, gym was packed & didn't feel I had too much strength doing a lot of the weights. After a short enough weights session I did 2km on treadmill with a bit of sprinting. Overall I was probably just tired from Mon so taking tonight off & back in tomorrow.

In relation to diet, I'm just wondering how many calories I should be taking in on training days & on rest days? I'm 5'11" & 80kg.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Going to attempt 10km in 50 mins tonight - so at a pace of 12km/hr on treadmill

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Didn't attempt the 10k in the end, just went with ~30mins of interval training.

Went for something new and did 1 min on 1 min off at 17, 17.5, 18, 18.5, 19 and back down again. Needed a longer than 1 min break when I did the 19 one though and slightly longer for subsequent ones.

Also, did a very small amount of running at high gradients. Besides killing your legs, is there much benefit to gradient training?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Think that post was the last time I trained bar one run

Going for 8k tonight in 45 which should definitely be achievable.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Still exercising usually 3 times a week focusing more on the running. Weighed myself a few days ago and put on 4kg in the last 3/4 weeks which I'm pretty sure is mainly fat as I have been eating more than usual.

So, I'm going to give a new diet plan a go until Christmas and see the results. I'll be implementing the following changes:
                                                                                                                        - No carbs after 6/7
                                                                                                                        - .5 litre milk daily max
                                                                                                                        - Dinner of meat & veg
                                                                                                                        - Eggs for breakfast
                                                                                                                        - Cut out all junk food

I just need some advice on calorie intake. What should I be looking to take in on training days & recovery days? If memory serves me correct something like 2500 kcals on training days & something like 2000 on non-training days is sufficient?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X