Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
    making a list of things i want sent from home so far ive got

chicken/oxtail cup of soups
    mega meanies
    monster munch
    waffles
    tea bags
    club milks
    hunky dorys buffalo
    rich tea biscuits
    pot noodles

what am i missing that can be sent through the post ? im sure im missing lots of stuff king/tayto prob obv but not fussed about them.
    Outside of tea that is a list of things I would leave Ireland to avoid consuming. Where in the world have you gone to that the food is so bad that a pot noodle seems like a step up.

Comment

as it happens I've just been chatting to an estate agent about this and about mixed developments and talking specifically about a late 50's council development where one end of the road, exact same build, was whatever council purchase scheme was running at the time and the other end was all whatever they called social housing. 60 years on and despite the far end mostly having been sold to the tenants he still sees a min 15% difference between one end and the other.

Not sure what that tells us about mixed developments.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        Describing the illegal occupation of someone else's property as seizing is over dramatic? What alternative facts are you presenting Chairman Lao?

Ah sure the lads were only having a laugh and temporarily denying access to other peoples vacant property because they are working for a noble cause like...

I think the Venezuelan government used the same argument with Smurfit Kappa in Venezuela, where the staff were happy to stay coming to work merely because there was affordable food in the canteen.

I'm just poking a bit of fun at Brian above
        I appreciate you poking fun at me

Maybe I should have been more elaborate and stated that your entire post comparing a bunch of stutents occupying a derilict house that has been abadoned for several years to Venezuela was way over dramatic rather than limiting to just your use of the word "seizing"

My post was actually about the promotion of the idea that the state should in some way compel the owners of vacant sites to use them in a certain way or hand them over. The details of the current protesters and their methods are just noise and distraction. I agree with the idea of a vacancy tax and a compulsion to maintain property and a significant increase in property taxes to encourage downsizing and to dampen down the urban property markets.

BUT if the state wants to acquire properties let them pay for them, any other approach is dangerous fantasy.
        You've obviously missed the demands of the group. They are not looking for the state to just take them off the owner with no financial compensation.

Originally Posted by Irish Times 8/8/2018
        In a statement Dublin Central Housing Action said the protest was demanding local authorities enact compulsory purchase orders to buy vacant homes for social housing, and that the Government undertake “massive immediate investment in public housing on public land.”
        Of course that will distort the market for the people trying to look after themselves. Therefore the state has to address the supply side for both the homeless folk and the regular working people trying to put a roof over their own heads.
        Couldn't agree more with this

This takes time, planning and a broader housing solution. Could it be done quicker? Yes. Are there any votes in working to reduce planning delays and/or addressing bottlenecks in the system? Currently No, because the people concerned about the homeless don't seem to vote for parties/individuals who are making sensible incremental progress but the advocates of simple to chant solutions...It's depressing really as there are so many poverty traps and stupid dead ends being promoted at present that merely treat the symptoms but won't cure the patient.
        I agree re time, planning and a broader solution but as mentioned before, there has been no action for years and it has been allowed to get to an absolute crisis point due to lack of political will.

The voting patterns you mention is a big generalisation. The accents from the people who were at the march on Wednesday suggest that the people involved are from a very wide spectrum on the socio-economic landscape and they certainly weren't all Shinners/PBP or certainly not from that background but may be starting to lean that way due to inaction by the parties you claim are making sensible incremental progress.

By the way the economy is going very well, unemployment has fallen significantly and we still can't balance the books. We have the highest level of debt per capita in the EU and Brexit is around the corner. We have a rollercoaster of boom and bust ahead of us for years to come because we continue to repeat the same mistakes. Wait until interest rates rise and our biggest export market is in a recession....
        I agree with most of this also and I'm extremely lucky in that I was never really effected by the downturn (as many others weren't either) but the improved economy hasn't floated all boats and the people who need it most have been completely left behind.

I've been running a soup run for the last 32 months and was volunterring at another one for six months before that. Some of the things that I have seen/heard over that time...I've lost count at the amount of times that I've come home from it and broke down crying.

I'm not directing this at you presonally, but I really don't think the vast majority of people know just how bad some people have it at the minute.

Comment

Yeah, outside of the very occasional tea don't think I've consumed any of that in at least a decade

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Chairman Lao and the Zod Equivalency.

It has been a good day's work.
            Watch your lip, or I'll have Eoghan line you up against the wall

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
              I appreciate you poking fun at me

Maybe I should have been more elaborate and stated that your entire post comparing a bunch of stutents occupying a derilict house that has been abadoned for several years to Venezuela was way over dramatic rather than limiting to just your use of the word "seizing"

You've obviously missed the demands of the group. They are not looking for the state to just take them off the owner with no financial compensation.

Couldn't agree more with this

I agree re time, planning and a broader solution but as mentioned before, there has been no action for years and it has been allowed to get to an absolute crisis point due to lack of political will.

The voting patterns you mention is a big generalisation. The accents from the people who were at the march on Wednesday suggest that the people involved are from a very wide spectrum on the socio-economic landscape and they certainly weren't all Shinners/PBP or certainly not from that background but may be starting to lean that way due to inaction by the parties you claim are making sensible incremental progress.

I agree with most of this also and I'm extremely lucky in that I was never really effected by the downturn (as many others weren't either) but the improved economy hasn't floated all boats and the people who need it most have been completely left behind.

I've been running a soup run for the last 32 months and was volunterring at another one for six months before that. Some of the things that I have seen/heard over that time...I've lost count at the amount of times that I've come home from it and broke down crying.

I'm not directing this at you presonally, but I really don't think the vast majority of people know just how bad some people have it at the minute.
              I don’t think anyone is doubting that. The reason why someone is at a soup kitchen may be in the same realm as the property discussion but they are not exactly the same.

There are a lot of working poor who can just afford rent/mortgage with nothing left over for food. Leo’s get out of bed brigade.

They don’t want a free house but donwant the minimum wage increased, zero hours contracts gone and whatever else will allow them to get enough coming in to live in Dublin - anything but stop try to work their way out that is.

Should they have better supports - yes, Will opening up vacants help them in this points - no.

Obv unemployed and homeless use soup kitchens but they are more secure than those right at the bottom of the working ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                Outside of tea that is a list of things I would leave Ireland to avoid consuming. Where in the world have you gone to that the food is so bad that a pot noodle seems like a step up.
                im in croatia, food is actually pretty decent here, the list is more of a snack/shit junk food stuff that i cant get here and want basically.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is doubting that. The reason why someone is at a soup kitchen may be in the same realm as the property discussion but they are not exactly the same.

There are a lot of working poor who can just afford rent/mortgage with nothing left over for food. Leo’s get out of bed brigade.

They don’t want a free house but donwant the minimum wage increased, zero hours contracts gone and whatever else will allow them to get enough coming in to live in Dublin - anything but stop try to work their way out that is.

Should they have better supports - yes, Will opening up vacants help them in this points - no.
                  I don't mean this to sound smart, but you've totally lost me here and I don't think you understand the soup run / homelessness situation/connection.

There are several soup runs in the city now on a nightly basis and they have all been formed in direct response to the homeless crisis.

Obv unemployed and homeless use soup kitchens but they are more secure than those right at the bottom of the working ladder.
                  How are homeless people more secure than those right at the bottom on the working ladder?

Comment

I don't mean this to sound smart, but you've totally lost me here and I don't think you understand the soup run / homelessness situation/connection.

There are several soup runs in the city now on a nightly basis and they have all been formed in direct response to the homeless crisis.

How are homeless people more secure than those right at the bottom on the working ladder?
                    Pretty sleep deprived, ignore me - I read my own post and disagreed

I think I was trying to say that people who are not homeless use the soup kitchens but not sure how I was getting to a point where that is anything but worse

Comment

Pretty sleep deprived, ignore me - I read my own post and disagreed

I think I was trying to say that people who are not homeless use the soup kitchens but not sure how I was getting to a point where that is anything but worse
                      Lol sleep deprived for one day. Can't wait to see your posts when you're sleep deprived for 8 months straight

Comment

Confit de canard, pommes sarladaise and asparagus. And a bottle of Margaux.

Mrs DIII was so impressed she's even doing the washing up.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Does it really help at all to conflate Homelessness with rough sleeping?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Does it really help at all to conflate Homelessness with rough sleeping?
                            I don't see them as two separate groups. People who sleep rough are homeless

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  Of the 10k 'only' a few hundred sleep rough. The rest have accommodation. Just not a 'home'.
                                  I was quite taken aback at the weekend in Westmoreland st. About 30/40 down on their luck types queuing up for food served by some enthusiastic folk. It's certainly escalated since even earlier this year.

Comment

Of the 10k 'only' a few hundred sleep rough. The rest have accommodation. Just not a 'home'.
                                    I'm not sure what point you are making?

Your comment is true but most of the accommodation is not suitable. It could be a one bed per room dorm in a hostel. It could be a bed in a multiple bdd dorm. The dorm may be mixed male/female. It may be a sleeping bag on the floor. It could be a family in one B&B room or hotel room.

The people who we speak to that opt to sleep rough, do so because they are either afraid to go into the hostels or they are trying to get clean and know if they go into the hostels, there will be too much temptation.

There are of course some people who sleep rough because they are absolutely out of it and have no clue where they are half of the time.
                                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 14-09-18, 19:42.

Comment

In totally other news, Boh's v's Cork has been a great game so far. Cork have to come really go for it with 30 minutes left or the league is virtually over, could lead to even more goals

Comment

Comment

Anyone recommend a version of Hamlet that is available on dvd. Want to go and see Ruth Negga in it at the Gate, but need to do some homework first
                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Was building on the point that strewel was, I think, making. There's a lot of that homeless figure in reliable accommodation. I think about three thousand in secured accommodation with professional help available, for example. Not saying that's decent in anyway, but think most people's view of the homeless is those sleeping on the streets or needing to find a homeless shelter each night, but there's a spread of homelessness. Like there's not 10k people needing a soup kitchen. Maybe using the larger figure moves the focus away from those in most need.

*Sigh*

Comment

Comment

You're maybe sighing at the wrong person. I'm trying to make a point about better care for those most in need - like those who need the help of you and others in the soup kitchens. The 10k figure seems to obscure those and their needs.

It was related to my earlier point too about social welfare. I think, but am not sure, that the sleeping rough don't get social welfare payments? Yet mixing those unfortunates in with those who do get payments and up to €1,300 in housing allowance, then obscures the needs of those in absolute dire need.
                                                No offence but you're not making a good job of it

It comes across like you are normalising the people in emergency accommodation.

Would you be happy to take the wife and two kids and shack up in one room in a B&B on Gardiner St indefinitely?

Comment

Comment

Ah now. We're getting into silly territory here.
                                                    But they're reliable and secure?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                      Anyone recommend a version of Hamlet that is available on dvd. Want to go and see Ruth Negga in it at the Gate, but need to do some homework first
                                                      Going to see herself play himself on the 6th so will report.

It's unlikely to be as avant-garde as the last Hamlet I saw. Where Hamlet slagged off a member of the audience for wearing a man bag, performed reasonably convincing fellatio on Horatio and launched into a gangsta rap tirade.

Comment

Basically the gig with the above was that the lead could freestyle and play Hamlet whatever way the muses took him that evening. The other actors had no idea what he was going to do.

Nuts and brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                          If the alternative is to sleep rough, then yes.
                                                          I think you are confusing accepting the lesser of two evils as there is no other choice with being happy to be there

Comment

Going to see herself play himself on the 6th so will report.
                                                            Yeah, got a ticket for the 4th, so I guess I better give first impressions first. Had never read or seen any version of it prior to yesterday, and started with the one with Mel Gibson. Have the old Olivier film lined up, and saving David Tennants one 'till last so far.

Comment

Has anyone taken courses or other ways of learning in “conversational Spanish”?
                                                              How easy is it?
                                                              I must over the course of my life have spent easily over a year in Spanish speaking countries and can hardly speak a word of it.
                                                              It never mattered in Spain but I remember being in Argentina a few years ago and it was akin to being like a mute idiot.

Comment

I've been trying to learn Spanish for over six months now, it's really hard. It seems easy at the start but after a while when I learnt the differences in the structures of the languages I almost gave up.

First of all there are two different to be's. Soy is to be something permanent, Estoy is to be something temporary. Then you have two different genders for all objects, and the fact that most sentences are the opposite way around. They also split for up into two different cases, which I don't understand yet but keep getting wrong.

I would recommend memrise, it's a very good app. Much better than duo lingo. I learnt a lot of words on duolingo, but memrise is much better, they explain grammar and do more work on pronunciation, which is totally different.

If you are prepared to put in a lot of time, hello talk is amazing. It's an app like tinder, but instead of trying to engage in matters of the flesh, you are matched with people who are experts in the language you want to learn, and a beginner in your language. It's a brilliant concept, it works very well. You can chat and send audio messages and the app will automatically translate stuff for you. It's really an incredible use of technology. It's probably best once you have some basics though, as you are talking to real people.

Comment

There must be a better way that allows the elderly person a home suited to their needs and frees up the property for a family.
                                                                  Decent 'step down' housing that allows them to stay living in the community they have probably lived in all of their lives.

My folks are prime examples. Both approaching retirement age and sitting on a big 3/4 bed but only the two of them in it. Would like to move to something that suits them a bit better but no availability (admittedly some of their standards are probably a little bit unreasonable but it shouldn't be as hard as it is to find decent 2/3 bed bungalows).

This sort of feels like a planning issue... There's such a drive to just build more 3/4 bed semis without apparent thought towards the needs a mixed age population. I suppose the profit the developer can make is a consideration when the dev applies for PP on a site.
                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

South Africa 20/21 to score more than 29.5 points winning 24_17 half time. Surely they can score 6 points in the second half two pens or a converted try all in job.

Comment

Sigh only the two minute sweat

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                        I've been trying to learn Spanish for over six months now, it's really hard. It seems easy at the start but after a while when I learnt the differences in the structures of the languages I almost gave up.

First of all there are two different to be's. Soy is to be something permanent, Estoy is to be something temporary. Then you have two different genders for all objects, and the fact that most sentences are the opposite way around. They also split for up into two different cases, which I don't understand yet but keep getting wrong.

I would recommend memrise, it's a very good app. Much better than duo lingo. I learnt a lot of words on duolingo, but memrise is much better, they explain grammar and do more work on pronunciation, which is totally different.

If you are prepared to put in a lot of time, hello talk is amazing. It's an app like tinder, but instead of trying to engage in matters of the flesh, you are matched with people who are experts in the language you want to learn, and a beginner in your language. It's a brilliant concept, it works very well. You can chat and send audio messages and the app will automatically translate stuff for you. It's really an incredible use of technology. It's probably best once you have some basics though, as you are talking to real people.
                                                                        Thanks HJ, that’s really class insight

Comment

Wait for the last line....XDHUGE thank you for all the views and subs!It means alot!.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                            Only if it comes up in passing but if you could keep your ears peeled for any news on the 18.

A friend of mine on Brandon Road (pregnant, two young twins, night shift nurse) gets it directly to Sandymount for work and can't figure out if it is gone for good or just not passing along the Drimnagh Road anymore. Seems to be conflicting reports out there.

We presume she'll probably have to get two busses now.

Also tell them not to fck with the 123 - Drimnagh's little secret! Everyone loves that service.

Thanks Danny.
                                                                            Apologies about the delay, 18 is being replaced with a new service, there was somebody at a meting the other week in The Halfway House saying that their child will now have to get multiple buses to go to school in Rathmines.

This meeting was much more informative for Drimnagh as they gave people information and were proposing some solutions/amendments to routes, didn't descend into any kinda of madness with people spouting off, genuine concerns and looking to get information on what can be done & where to focus their protests to. Little dismayed to see 150-200 people turn up for this meeting as these proposed changed will have a massive effect on this area.

Lot of anger from people there about politicians not turning up to these meetings, this one was organised by Joan Collins & Catherine Ardagh attended this one.

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                            Invited to 2 weddings at end of Nov this year but wife is due in middle of them so can politely refuse to attend. Win win all round.
                                                                            Congratulations sir on missing the weddings best wishes on the pending arrival.
                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                              South Africa 20/21 to score more than 29.5 points winning 24_17 half time. Surely they can score 6 points in the second half two pens or a converted try all in job.
                                                                              Good result for them

Comment

Comment

Actually on that. A question I've never got around to ever asking despite often wondering it - do homeless people get social welfare payments?
                                                                                  If they have a residency in one of the hostels they can register using that. If the aren't then they dont
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                    If the alternative is to sleep rough, then yes.
                                                                                    A lot of the homeless choose to sleep rough over homeless hostels, if you are trying to stay clean it's worst place in world and they are terrified of them, if you sleep you'll be robbed. A lot I've talked to will only use those if it's really really bad out weather wise
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                                                                      Has anyone taken courses or other ways of learning in “conversational Spanish”?
                                                                                      How easy is it?
                                                                                      I must over the course of my life have spent easily over a year in Spanish speaking countries and can hardly speak a word of it.
                                                                                      It never mattered in Spain but I remember being in Argentina a few years ago and it was akin to being like a mute idiot.
                                                                                      Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

We’re a little over a year into it. The Maltese government has a FAS type learning scheme where you can do a course for a year (oct-may) for 3hours a week for €39 per person, fantastic idea. They have courses in everything from gardening - ecdl - languages - aromatherapy.

Anyway, we signed up to Spanish and year 1 is the equivalent of A1.1 in the Cervantes institute. As HJ said it’s really tough, you have to try and forget what you know about language structures as they are completely different to English..not to mention they have 6 different past tenses to learn

During the summer we opted to take private lessons with one of the university lecturers in Malta, he’s a Spanish guy with great english and he also does Skype lessons so if either of you are interested I can post his website and you can get in touch.

We’re starting 3 new courses in the first week of October, and we move to Valencia at the start of December so under pressure to pick up more than we have right now. For anyone who hasn’t been to Valencia, there’s pretty much no English speakers there so it’s Spanish or nothing if you plan to live there.

Most days I feel like I can barely say my name in Spanish but nothing like being thrown in at the deep end to sort you out.
                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

What's that quote again?

You can never truly understand your own language until you understand at least another?

Comment

Wife's Diary:

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner.

I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late,
                                                                                          but he made no comment on it.

Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk.
                                                                                          He agreed, but he didn't say much.

I asked him what was wrong; He said, "nothing."

I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset.

He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it.

On the way home, I told him that I loved him.

He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior.
                                                                                          I don't know why he didn't say, “I love you, too.”

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore.
                                                                                          He just sat there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem distant and absent.

Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to bed.
                                                                                          But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep; I cried.
                                                                                          I don't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

Husband's Diary:

A one-foot putt.. Who the fuck misses a one-foot putt?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                            A lot of the homeless choose to sleep rough over homeless hostels, if you are trying to stay clean it's worst place in world and they are terrified of them, if you sleep you'll be robbed. A lot I've talked to will only use those if it's really really bad out weather wise
                                                                                            Not much chance of getting a Yuro for a hostel either. The city center is ruined with these vermin begging dealing injecting with impunity.

Comment

Not much chance of getting a Yuro for a hostel either. The city center is ruined with these vermin begging dealing injecting with impunity.
                                                                                              Very little heroin around anymore, it's all zimmos and crack.

The zombies you see about the place are off their face on prescription drugs.

Wait until meth hits.
                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Dom on the verge of victory!

Comment

Dom on the verge of victory!
                                                                                                  Stop with your jinxing.

Comment

Exactly, and there'll be more again if we don't sort our housing problem.
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                      Stop with your jinxing.
                                                                                                      Genuinely thought you had it in the bag when the 3rd went in

Comment

Genuinely thought you had it in the bag when the 3rd went in
                                                                                                        I'm not confident that they will score exactly 1 away to Cardiff next weekend either.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                          I'm not confident that they will score exactly 1 away to Cardiff next weekend either.
                                                                                                          This is where the fun kicks in

Comment

Whoever designed the Utd away kit should be sacked and never allowed work again

Comment

Whoever designed the Utd away kit should be sacked and never allowed work again
                                                                                                              Absolutely horrendous. You gotta wonder how it ever passed the quality checks and how many people were involved in the vetting process.
                                                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Saw someone on Twitter say it's like the kit man put a red sock in with the wash lol. Looks horrible

Comment

Any film recommendations?
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Upgrade
                                                                                                                    American animals

Edit.

I actually had to Check to See What I've seen Lately and to be fair A lot of movies This year have been shite.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by newbie2; 15-09-18, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                                      American animals
                                                                                                                      Cheers for that. My mind and that of EHonda's were thinking alike.

Lined up.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Everybody, and I mean fucking everybody, needs to watch the new Nick Cage movie Mandy.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                          Everybody, and I mean fucking everybody, needs to watch the new Nick Cage movie Mandy.
                                                                                                                          Had to google it. Was mostly surprised that Nick Cage wasn't dead already. That, and he's only 54; really thought he was about 70.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X