X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomD View Post
    Whats a floor wiper?
    Hard to describe, never heard of them until the 300 metcon,

From your back on the ground, press the weight up, like in bench press, and hold it there.
    Then raise legs up to the left, and back to ground, then up to right and back to ground, that's one rep. It's basically a core exercise, but the 60kg overhead adds in a lot of stability work.

If you youtube 300 workout it should be there

Comment

Loving that 300 workout. Will give it a go when my back is ready.

Those floor wipers look ridiculously tough. Pretty much two leg raises whilst holding a bench lockout for one rep ffs. I'd say they'd slow you down something terrible.

Comment

Yeah, they took the longest, took 4 or 5 sets to finish I think.
        Still undecided on whats best for time, short sets and shorter rests, say 5 sets, 10 reps
        Or longer 15-20 rep sets and longer rests.

I was sore today, so took a day off.

Comment

Friday AM - Chest & Back

Slept in a little, but luckily my meeting wasn't until 10am, and the site is across the road from one of my gyms. Still, buses are shit so only managed a short session.

Stretch
          Quads/Aductors were killing me, so went over them (even though zero legs work today), and quickly rolled out some shoulders, back chest stuff.

Bench Press - Went 5x5 for speed
          20kg x 5
          40kg x 5
          60kg x 5
          75kg x 5 x 2 *PB*

Delighted to get the 5 reps out cleanly at 75 kg. It took a sec to find a spotter, so rest was a bit longer than normal, didn't even need him. Did it again with normal rest so that justifies it for me. I just checked and I did 75 x 5 before, but it wasn't clean reps, and no repeat

Pull-up - Various
          5 x pulls ups (palms forward, some kipping tbh)
          4 x pull ups
          6 x neutral grip
          6 x neutral grip
          8 x negitives

First time trying full pull ups, happy with 5 reps even with a bit of kipping. Did the neutrals with shorter rest and then almost straight into negitives, the last two I would barley hold myself. Doms tomorrow.

SuperSet - time was running out
          Inverted row x 8 x 2
          Chest Fly 17.5kg x 12 x 2

Happy to get a new PB in bench. Elbow wasn't as much an issue today, but it was low intensity. 16 days til goal date, wil be tough to get to 80 x 5 or 8, but we'll see

Comment

Saturday - Cardio

Warm Up - Run 1k

Row - Intervals
            250m slow/250m fast x 5
            No rest in between

Bike Intervals
            2 min slow/1 min fast x 5

cool down - Run 1k

Comment

Tuesday PM - Legs
              time to give DL a shot, then take it handy enough for the rest of the session as i'll be doing am am session in 12 hours

Deadlift
              60kg x 5
              100kg x 5
              120kg x 8 x 2 *PB*
              100kg x 8

Another goal hit, managed a second set too. I got the first straight through, and had to re-set grip for last rep of last one, which is still fine when counting reps. Chalk helped a lot here.

Upright row (waiting for rack )
              27.5kg x 12 x 3

Squats
              60kg x 8
              80kg x 80 x 2
              (kept the squat volume and load down, basically legs were a little like jelly at this stage

Mil. Press
              42.5 x 8 x 3

Front Squat
              45kg x 8 x 3
              This is the first time I felt comfortable doing these. took onboard advice from here and got better finger position. Thumb only under the bar would be more comfortable, but not sure if its a good idea?
              A little concerned about strain my wrist here. But weight is pretty low anyway.

DB Shoulder press
              17kg x 12 x 3

Comment

Weds AM - Conditioning

300 Workout again

25 Pull-ups
                50 Deadlifts @ 60kg
                50 Push-ups
                50 Box Jumps
                50 Floor wipers w/60kg
                50 Kettlebell clean and jerk @ 16kg (25 each arm)
                25 Pull ups

32 Minutes

Quite a big jump oer last time, I'm pretty sure every section took me less sets this time. Getting the order right helped, plus i had better technique for c&j and generally pushed myself harder. Also focused more on speed rather than steady reps (which you think would be obvious.

Comment

Floor wipers Mellor?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                    Hard to describe, never heard of them until the 300 metcon,

From your back on the ground, press the weight up, like in bench press, and hold it there.
                    Then raise legs up to the left, and back to ground, then up to right and back to ground, that's one rep. It's basically a core exercise, but the 60kg overhead adds in a lot of stability work.

If you youtube 300 workout it should be there
                    these

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggiYjRelWgc[/ame]
                    Last edited by Mellor; 20-10-10, 07:01.

Comment

Friday - Chest & Back

Bench Press
                      20kg x 5
                      60kg x 5
                      80kg x 4 *PB*
                      65kg x 5
                      75kg x 5

That's the bench goal hit for sure now, was never happy with hitting 3 with a spotter. I've none done 4 with no spotter, last rep was epicly slow. I messed up laoding the bar for the next, forgot the 5kg so dropped to 65kg

Pull-ups - Palms forward
                      5 reps x 5
                      That's my best pull up set, the last 5 were messy though

Decline Bench
                      20kg x 5
                      60kg x 8
                      70kg x 8 x 3

Inverted rows
                      BW x 8 x 4

Weighted Dips
                      BW+5kg x 8 x 3
                      First time including extra weight

T-Bar Rows
                      Bar+50kg x 12 x 3

All targets except weight hit with a week to go, gonna try some squat and DL maxes next week and give 80kg bensh a shot again, i'll be happy with 5, 8 isn't there imo

Comment

Saturday - Cardio

Handy afternoon session

Run - 2k

Row - 500m x 4 with 2 min rest

Bike - 15 mins, 2/1 intervals

Run - 2k

Comment

A week or so to go and not much will change.

All targets hit as of friday, I'm gonna give bench for reps another shot on fri, and concentrate on maxes in the other two, maybe someweight loss stuff for the last week.
                          I haven't been drinking enough water.
                          I ate way too much crap this weekend.
                          I'll be clean this week, but i'm not gonna hit my target my the end of the week. Which i'm ok with. weight loss and strength goals are really complimentry

Comment

Tues - PM Legs/Shoulders
                            First time trying single lifts, so all singles are pretty much PBs at the time.

Squat
                            60kg x 5
                            100kg x 3
                            110kg x 1
                            120kg x 1 *PB*
                            80kg x 8

Military Press
                            45kg x 8 x 3

Deadlift
                            60kg x 5
                            100kg x 5
                            120kg x 3
                            130kg x 1
                            140kg x 1
                            150kg x 1 *PB*

Shoulder Press
                            19kg x 12 x 3 (failed at 9 reps on 3rd set)

Verticle row
                            30kg x 12 x 3

Left it at that. As had planned an AM session the next day...Which it looks like I've missed. Willl be after work conditioning type, maybe crossfit workout

Delighted with the max lifts. My plan was to work towards 1.5bw squat, 2x bw DL, but i'm pretty much there. Need a new target now, the above as 5/8 work rep sets. Bench 100kg?

Comment

Well done.

How did the single lifts feel? Much more left in the tank? I see you couldn't help yourself with the 80 x 8 after the 1 rep squat ya big volume whore

Comment

Lol yeah, i feel like i've done nothign to shift the fat unless i whack out some 8 reps.
                                singles were fine, didn't have 160 DL in me, but if I got there sooner then maybe. Pretty close to double bodyweight. Squats were ok too, I'm still a bit worrid about failing a squat rep, If I fail DL I drop it, if I stall half way on bench I can rack on low hooks (I always use the 3 hook bench or get a spotter).
                                But I've never faila squat rep, so dunno if I'll collaspe on to the rails safely.

Weds - Conditioning

Run - 1k

10 rounds as fast as possible of;
                                Pull-ups - 5 reps
                                Press ups - 10 reps
                                Squats - 20 reps

Time: 15.30

Power Cleans
                                50-55kg x 5
                                The bar wasn't an oly bar, so don't think it was 20kg, prob 10-15kg

Run - 1k

Not the longest session, wasn't in the mood, I left my ipod in the gym on tues, was expecting it back today, not there. The rounds knock the shit outta me, and I just packed it in. Going to keep this in and work it up to a a longer version (its actually the basis for a few crossfit named WOs)
                                Last edited by Mellor; 28-10-10, 02:44.

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench
                                  20kg x 5
                                  60kg x 5
                                  70kg x 3
                                  80kg x 4

Pullups
                                  5 x 3

Incline Bench
                                  50kg x 8 x 3

T-Bar
                                  Bar+50kg x 12 x 3

Was late for work so a short session.
                                  Didn't feel great on the bench, knew it at 60kg. I attempted a 5th rep at 80kg, but got halfway and stalled, I didn't rest much between the others so proformance was down. going include incline a bit more, get it up to 60kg x 8 x 3. Dumbells too.

Pretty much only one more session this month, as i'm busy say, and flying on sunday. So it'll be cardio and a final weigh-in. I won't make 76.2, i'll be happy with sub 79 tbh.

Comment

Friday - Cardio/Conditioning

It's the final day, well not really, but tomorrow is a day off and i'm flying to Melbourne on sunday.
                                    so, going to go balls to the wall and see what happens. One thing i noticed was that I haven't been drinking enough water when training, so I might not be giving it up too easy once I take it in. Tried to drink a decent bit this week, its surprisingly hard to get through a 750ml bottle 5 or 6 times a day.

Run - 1600m

100 Pull-ups

200 Press-ups

300 Squats

Run 1600m

That's my plan, its one of the crossfit hero workouts and apparently a tough one. I'm going to split up the pull/push/squats into rounds of 5/10/15 reps, expecting the last mile (1600) to be a killer

I'll try post a reply before the weekend, prob from the phone, just to finish up with final weight and time for the above. It's gonna run close to the hour

Comment

1600m/100 pull ups/200 press ups/300 squats/1600m

42 minutes, happy witrh that time, will work towards sub 40, anything close to 30 would be pretty amazing imo

Weight was 79kg, so just under 3kg short, but I always knew I would be tbh.
                                      Weight was going to be the toughest, still i'm 4kg lighter than my higherst point during the 9 weeks and fat/muscle ratio is better imo. Still want to work towards 75ish, but we'll see.

Goals over, time for new ones, but not really sure where to go, i think 5x BW might be a decent target for bench/squat/DL max, but i'm not too familar with maxes, no idea how reasonable that is really

Comment

1600m/100 pull ups/200 press ups/300 squats/1600m
                                        Oh man, we normally do it on a team conditioning session but broken into teams of four. You're a sicko!

Comment

I actually liked it, was very tough, but left feeling pretty good,
                                          The CF page says to partition it as required, I took this to mean you can mix them up, as it normally says to do all reps before moving on or similar. I think its gonna stay there as a weekly thing tbh

Any idea how 42 mins is for a time? I think getting close to 30 is doable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway,
                                          Was at the races this week, so diet was basically beer and what ever was available, so not good
                                          Back to work now, but wrecked, so going to take this week handy then back into it next week

Comment

Tuesday - Legs and Shoulders - First day back

Squats
                                            60kg x 8
                                            80kg x 8
                                            100kg x 5 x 3

Overhead press
                                            40kg x 8
                                            45kg x 8
                                            50kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

Deadlifts
                                            60kg x 8
                                            100kg x 8
                                            120kg x 5 x 3
                                            160kg x 1 *PB*

Thrusters
                                            40kg x 8 x 2

Front Squat
                                            50kg x 8 x 2

DB Shoulder Press
                                            20kg x 8 x 5
                                            60*8

That was pretty tough. Squats and OHP were fine, DLs felt good too, that's why I decide to stick in a max lift after a decent bit of lifting (wasn't the cleanest, but ship the 2x bodyweight deadlift).
                                            Thrusters were painful, was my first time and the whole movement just feels awkward. Legs were startign to go on front squats, had planned 3 sets for each.

Comment

Was suppose to go and give the crossfit murph another shot today, alarm set for 6am, go up and went back to bed, not happening.
                                              i've shit to do later, so guess this is a rest day.
                                              thursday is murph, friday bench, saturday a run, maybe 10k

Comment

Cardio/Conditioning - Thurs

On advice of a PT over on boards, I left murph out today and did another, shorter one,
                                                legs were still a bit stiff from tues, but on we march

Warm-up
                                                Run 1k

Stretch, foam roll (roller wasn't hard enough imo)

Metcon -
                                                Sprint 400m
                                                Kettlebell swings - 24kg - 21 reps
                                                12 pull-ups

Repeat 3 time as fast as possible.
                                                Never really sprinted on the treadmill before, so was a little cagey for the first. I think my lst and fastest time was 1.30, I think i might get this to 60 flat out on a track (time wasted speading up), swings were good pull-ups tough.
                                                total time was around 14 or 15 mins, nothing amazing I think, and part of me thinks that starting up the treadmill, stopping it, kettlebells in one area, pulls ups in another doesn't help the time. But the other half, knows this is essentially needed rest.

Bike - 5mins steady easy
                                                Bike - HIIT - 60easy.30flat out x 4

Small interval session to finsih, balls out, plannede a warm down but wasn't able. Walking down the stairs to the changing room was tough.

I think I've been a bit critical of the "crossfit" mentality, thinking that its essentiall no different dispite what they tell you.
                                                Hands up, I was wrong.

Is a crossfit WOD any better than something similar you do yourself in the gym, maybe not. So why is CF different, it appeals to one of the most basic human emotions, competitiveness. Everyone working to the same target, often against the clock, means they push themselves harder. Even when you need to stop, you go for one more push. I'm not in a CF gym (due to the cost) I just do it myself in a commercial gym, so I suggested it to anyone that has access to the basic stuff.

Comment

Great explanation of the crossfit mentality. Powerlifters have been very critical of CF since it's a jack of all trades kind of training and possibly a bit cultish but as you said it's fun and competitive. There's plenty of worse types of training out there.

I don't really see the harm in it and would like to incorporate some of it into my training for variety. Pretty sure they teach the oly lifts too which is cool. Would love to be able to do them properly. Don't think I can even get into the position for an overhead squat.

Comment

Fri - Chest/Back

Bench Press
                                                    20kg x 12
                                                    60kg x 8
                                                    70kg x 5
                                                    75kg x 5 x 3

Felt good, working towards getting that 80 on to the bar for a work set

Pull-ups
                                                    5 reps x 3 (palms forward)
                                                    8 reps x 2 (neutral grip)

DB Incline Bench
                                                    25kg x 5
                                                    30kg x 5 x 3 *PB* (went to failure on final set, 7 reps)

Bent over rows
                                                    60kg x 8 x 4

Press ups - legs suspended
                                                    3 sets, various reps and pace

Inverted Rows
                                                    8 reps x 3 (failure on last set 12 reps)

1 set of bicep curls for shits n giggles

Comment

I do the odd WOD but only in my work gym and never in IP. Will hates Crossfit and would murder me if I did a WOD in IP. He says the workouts don’t make sense. When we do any workblock in IP its generally part of the body for each workblock and there would be two or four workblocks. One strength moevement, one explosive movement and one movement with whatever you have left. An example of this would be upper body where we would do 30secs floor press with KBs, 30s max punchouts on the bag, 30secs GNP, 30secs rest..repeat three times.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                        I do the odd WOD but only in my work gym and never in IP. Will hates Crossfit and would murder me if I did a WOD in IP. He says the workouts don’t make sense. When we do any workblock in IP its generally part of the body for each workblock and there would be two or four workblocks. One strength moevement, one explosive movement and one movement with whatever you have left. An example of this would be upper body where we would do 30secs floor press with KBs, 30s max punchouts on the bag, 30secs GNP, 30secs rest..repeat three times.
                                                        Yeah, I've noticed Will isn't fond of CF actually. I can understand if you were training for a specific area, such as MMA. The workblock above looks interesting, but not available for me, yet
                                                        My main goal with WODs is simply energy expenditure, as opposed to getting stronger, faster, fitter etc

Cardio/Conditioning - Tues
                                                        Missed my last session lst wee, so this week starts with cardio and not squats.
                                                        Legs session tonight will suffer i think

Warm-up
                                                        Row 1500 easy pace
                                                        Stretch

Metcon -
                                                        Sprint 400m
                                                        Kettlebell swings - 24kg - 21 reps
                                                        12 pull-ups

Repeat 3 time as fast as possible.
                                                        Total time was 14mins, pull-ups were slow, all my runs were 1.32 (treadmill at 18km/h)

Bike - 5mins steady easy
                                                        Bike - HIIT - 60easy/30flat out x 6

Comment

Weds - Legs & Shoulders

Squat
                                                          60kg x 5
                                                          80kg x 5
                                                          100kg x 5 x 3

I seen a picture posted over at crossfit during the week, it had a tag line about hands in, elbows out. I've really struggled with low bar squats, and seriously this pic helped a lot. Was a bit uncomfortable on the shoulders at first, but i'll work mobility on these next time.

SPOILER
                                                          Bringing the hands in and raising the elbows creates a shelf for supporting the barbell
                                                          enlarge picture

Overhead Press
                                                          40kg x 5
                                                          42.5kg x 5
                                                          52.5kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

Deadlift
                                                          60kg x 5
                                                          100kg x 5
                                                          120kg x 5 x 3
                                                          (work set will up to 130 next week)

PowerCleans
                                                          50kg x 5 x 5

I suck at these, but did better than I thought. I had cleaned and jerked 55kg 1rep before, and failed on 60kg. But I did hang clean 60kg today getting the squat set up. Target 60kg 5 x 5 and 80kg C&J

DB Shoulder press
                                                          17.5kg x 8
                                                          22.5kg x 8 x 3 *PB*

Wasn't expecting to be able for 22.5kg, but the 20s were taken, so was nice bonus to finish on.

Today, i'm sore. Tonight - Chest/Back - FML

Comment

thurs - Chest/Back

Was a bit sore going in so did extra stretching

Pull-ups
                                                            BW 5 x 5

Bench
                                                            20kg x 5
                                                            60kg x 5
                                                            70kg x 5
                                                            75kg x 5 x 3

Bent over rows
                                                            60kg x 8 x 4

Incline Bench press
                                                            40kg x 5
                                                            50kg x 5
                                                            60kg x 5 x2 *PB*

Inverted Row
                                                            BW x 10 x 3

DB Chest Flys
                                                            17kg x 12 x 3

I was a bit stiff going to, by the first few sets of pull-ups, my shoulders were on fire. They weren't sore when lifting, a little weaker, but as soon as the load came off they went nuts, could move them, burning etc, was horrible. No about of rest helped so i jsut struggled on, was a bit nervous for the bench, but they didn't get worse, and it was mostly between sets. They were slightly weakr though, which is why I didn't attempt 77.5kg or 80kg.
                                                            Just going to rest them and hopefully next week is all good.

Comment

Back to gym after the weeekend off...

Tues - Legs & Shoulders

Squat
                                                              60kg x 5
                                                              90kg x 5
                                                              110kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

Overhead Press
                                                              40kg x 5
                                                              50kg x 5 x 3
                                                              55kg x 5 *PB*

Deadlift
                                                              60kg x 5
                                                              90kg x 5
                                                              130kg x 5 x 3

PowerCleans
                                                              50kg x 5
                                                              55kg x 3 *PB*

55kg was a new pb, but some gobshite walked right accross me on the second set so I had to pause and wasn't able to contine, left cleans out when the place is full. Too many gobshites.

Front Raise
                                                              Cable machine, weight increasing - 8 x 3

DB Shoulder press
                                                              22.5kg x 8 x 4

Free weight area was packed so had to settle for cable raises, wasted a bit of time waiting for the bench/seat for shoulder raises

...onwards to the metcon tonight
                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 23-11-10, 23:15.

Comment

It's back...

Weds - Cardio/Conditioning

1600m run

100 pull ups
                                                                200 press ups
                                                                300 squats
                                                                (in sets of 5/10/15)

1600m run

Time - not sure*

Started a stopwatch to get an accurate time, took it out at the end and it read 00:00:00 obv reset it when I dropped it. Was somewhere in the 40-45 range I'd say, prob closer to 45. Was v.tough.
                                                                ...Taking a break tonight

Comment

Tues - Chest/Back

Missed this session last week, so playing catch up no
                                                                  Was kinda sick today, but said i'll go for it anyway, felt like shit afterwards

Bench
                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                  70kg x 5
                                                                  77.5kg x 5
                                                                  80kg x 5 *PB*
                                                                  65kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                                                  BW 5 x 5

Pull-ups
                                                                  BW 5 x 5

Incline Bench press
                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                  70kg x 5 x2 *PB*

Bent over rows
                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                  70kg x 5 x 3

Dips
                                                                  BW+10kg x 8 x 4 (weight fell on last set)

Inverted Row
                                                                  BW x 10 x 4

EZ Bar Curls
                                                                  30kg x 8 x 4
                                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 01-12-10, 23:09.

Comment

Weds - Cardio

Warm-up,
                                                                    Foam rolling to try relieve some of the tightness.

Rower
                                                                    500m/2min rest x 3

Went pretty hard in thesem times of 1:52, 1:48, 1:47
                                                                    Was shot afterwards.

Run - 3k
                                                                    5 min/km pace. Don't know what happened but this was really tough. By the 2nd km I knew I was tiring, I'd normally lash out these way handier. could of been the rowing before, or the fact that I've been a bit sick. I have been falling asleep a lot lately, on the bus, right after dinner.

I decide to leave it at that. My heart was still racing for a bit after and body temp was up for ages. Hopefully metabolic rate was up there too for at least some benefit.

Squat session tonight, if i'm up for it

Comment

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Tues - Legs & Shoulders

Squat
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      90kg x 5
                                                                      110kg x 5 x 3

Overhead Press
                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                      50kg x 5
                                                                      52.5kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      100kg x 5
                                                                      130kg x 5 x 3

DB Shoulder press
                                                                      22.5kg x 8 x 4

Tricep rope pull down
                                                                      5 sets, weight increasing - varible reps

Squats felt good, gonna do one more session at 110kg, trying to really get the depth in, below parallel, then move up to 120kg, was tired after deadlifts, 130kg for a while, might even switch it around so its first,

Comment

tues - Chest/Back

Bench press
                                                                        11kg x 5
                                                                        51kg x 5
                                                                        71kg x 5
                                                                        81kg x 5
                                                                        81kg x 4
                                                                        70kg x 5

Reason for the random numbers is that the bar was a cheap on. At the time I wasn't sure of the weight, guessed about 10kg. i knew at the time that my top set was 80-82kg, would of liked to get two sets at 80kg. Gonna try a 90kg single before xmas

Pull-ups
                                                                        BW x 5 x 5 (palms forward)

Incline bench
                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                        60kg x 5 x 3

Bent over rows
                                                                        60kg x 8
                                                                        70kg x 8 x 4

Cable flys
                                                                        5 sets of 8

Inverted Rows
                                                                        BW x 10 x 5

Bicep curls
                                                                        25kg x 8 x 2

Comment

Weds - Quick WOD

Bike
                                                                          10 mins brisk to warm up

Metcon
                                                                          Sprint 400m
                                                                          24kg KB swings
                                                                          12 pul-ups

Repeat 3 time
                                                                          Time: Around 15 mins

Comment

Like the bench numbers and that metcon session looks tasty. I have completely dropped off on the weights in particular bench....different training for me now.

Comment

#98
                                                                              I'm thinking i'm good for 90kg for one lift. gonna try before xmas.
                                                                              The metcon is good, i have two or three now that I do and I find 15-30 min on a tough you knocks way more out of you than steady cardio. I honestly don't know how effective this is for burning energy, but there is also the fact that its easier to fit into a day.

The huge downside to your endurance training is the hours you need to log. I've decide to do a swim in the new year, nor sure what distance yet but something open water

Comment

#99
                                                                                Thurs - Legs Shoulders

Squat
                                                                                60kg x 5
                                                                                90kg x 5
                                                                                110kg x 5 x 3

110kg feels really good now, time to put 120kg on the bar.

Overhead press
                                                                                40kg x 5
                                                                                50kg x 5
                                                                                55kg x 5 x 2
                                                                                50kg x 5

The second 55kg was tough, decided against going for 3

Calf raises
                                                                                30kg x 12
                                                                                50kg x 12
                                                                                70kg x 12 x 3

Dumbell Shoulder press
                                                                                22.5 x 8 x 4

Wanted to get 5 reps, but paused on the last rep of the 4th and failed so stopped.

Hanging leg raises (straight leg)
                                                                                5 sets, 24, 20, 16, 12, 10 reps

supersetted with

Tricep pull-downs
                                                                                5 sets, 12 reps

Neglecting ab work so stuck in a bit, I like supersetting completely unrelated body parts as it cuts out all recover time

Comment

tuesday

bleww off the tuesday session, went the casino to meet some of the UFC lads. Got autographs from BJ Penn, John Fitch, Kyle Noke & George Sotiropoulos (that makes a total of 7 signed autographs now)

I have some poor pics, i'll upload here later

Comment

Wednesday - Chest Back

Bench
                                                                                    20kg x 5
                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                    80kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

All 3 sets locked out, that's at bodyweight too so delighted to hit that.

Pull-ups
                                                                                    BW x 5 x 5 (managed 6 on the last set, for a sloppy PB )

Incline Bench
                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                    70kg x 5 x 3 *PB*

T - Bar row
                                                                                    20kg x 8
                                                                                    40kg x 8
                                                                                    50kg x 8
                                                                                    55kg x 8
                                                                                    60kg x 8

DB Chest Flys
                                                                                    16kg x 8
                                                                                    18kg x 8
                                                                                    20kg x 8 x 3

Inverted Rows
                                                                                    BW x 10 x 5

Bicep Curls
                                                                                    30kg x 8 x 3

33 sets and PBs in most, pretty happy. This week is a nightmare as I have to find a new place to stay by saturday, its now thurs lunchtime

Comment

Thurs

warm-up
                                                                                      Strecthing/Foam Rolling

Bike
                                                                                      10mins - moderate pace

Metcon
                                                                                      400mm sprint (1.34, 1.32, 1.30)
                                                                                      21 x 24kg Kettlebell Swings
                                                                                      12 Pull-ups

Time: 17mins
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      (i thought that was bad, but maybe I wasn't timing the previous correctly, stopwatch in future)

Core/Ab-work for 15 mins

Comment

Missed tues cos I had my xmas dinner,

Weds - Legs & Shoulders

Squat
                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                                        110kg x 5
                                                                                        115kg x 5 *PB*
                                                                                        120kg x 5 *PB*

Overhead press
                                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                                        45kg x 5
                                                                                        50kg x 5
                                                                                        55kg x 5
                                                                                        57.5kg x 3

Deadlifts
                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                                        120kg x 5
                                                                                        130kg x 5

Dumbbell Shoulder press
                                                                                        22.5kg x 8 x 5

Calf raises
                                                                                        5 x 12 weight increasing

Front raise
                                                                                        25kg x 10 x 3

Hanging leg raises (straight leg)
                                                                                        5 sets, 25, 23, 25 reps

Overall happy with the session. Squat PBs back to back. I wanted to go hight on the deadlifts, but my grip was failing. Need to buy more chalk.

Comment

Thurs - Chest/Back

Bench press
                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                          60kg x 5
                                                                                          80kg x 5
                                                                                          82.5kg x5 *PB*

Single lifts
                                                                                          90kg x 1 *PB*
                                                                                          92.5kg Fail

Might of gotten the 92.5 if I was fresh, but was happy with 90kg

Pull-ups
                                                                                          BW 6 reps x 5

Incline Bench
                                                                                          40kg x 5
                                                                                          50kg x 5
                                                                                          70kg x 5
                                                                                          60kg x 5 x 3

T-Bar rows
                                                                                          30kg x 8
                                                                                          40kg x 8
                                                                                          50kg x 8
                                                                                          60kg x 8

Barbell Preacher Curl
                                                                                          25kg x 8 x 3

So thats prob going to close out 2010. stats are;

Bench 82.5 x 5, 90kg x1
                                                                                          Squat 120kg x 5, Single was 120kg, so I've no idea now
                                                                                          Deadlift 130kg x 5, 160kg x 1

Comment

Great work. Add in your 500m time to close out the year

Comment

Good stuff Mellor, what are the plans for 2011? Any races or events planned?

Comment

Well done. You're making great progress.

Keep it up in 2011.

Comment

Thanks lads, plan for 2011 is to keep gettin numbers up, Tom I'll add in 500 row time during the week, no races planned yet. Might do a sea swim in Feb, then a run or two come summer

Comment

Tues and weds respectively was regular chest/back and legs/shoulders session.

Basically the usual as above, wound the numbers back a lick, you below my best for most, lifted well. Did 8 reps at 80kg bench with assistance. In a rush so not arase typing it all out.

Comment

Had to literally drag myslef out of bed for this, at 5 pm.
                                                                                                      I didn't stay in bed that long, but im off work all week and i'm falling asleep due to boredom I think. Got up, had brekkie (bowl of oats) read some of a book (have finished 2 books in 3 days, this is the third) then lunch (noodles, i know terrible, but I'm really broke), then just passed out.

Thurs - Cardio/Metcon

15mins or so of foam rolling,

Rower - 500m Sprint
                                                                                                      Time = 1:36.8

Delighted to take nearly two seconds off my best seeing as its my first time on the rower in weeks.

Bike - 15min easy cycle - very easy, wrecked from the rower

Metcon
                                                                                                      10 kettlebell swings (20kg)
                                                                                                      10 Press ups
                                                                                                      10 Squats

Repeat 10 times

Go home, sore but happy

Comment

Rower - 500m Sprint
                                                                                                        Time = 1:36.8

Delighted to take nearly two seconds off my best seeing as its my first time on the rower in weeks.
                                                                                                        Savage, savage work.

Comment

I'm starting to think flexibility might be an issue. it's not bad, but its isn't great.
                                                                                                          I seen Lurker mentioned plates under heels for squats, and I must admit, I do this when going for PBs. (Is this not the same as Weight lifting shoes w/ a tilted sole).

I'd say my rubber guard would be shitty now too

Any suggestions for mobility work I could do outside the gym, 20-30 mins at home stuff would be perfect.

Also, Quads are epicly stiff today, time for a break

Comment

I'm starting to think flexibility might be an issue. it's not bad, but its isn't great.
                                                                                                            I seen Lurker mentioned plates under heels for squats, and I must admit, I do this when going for PBs. (Is this not the same as Weight lifting shoes w/ a tilted sole).

I'd say my rubber guard would be shitty now too

Any suggestions for mobility work I could do outside the gym, 20-30 mins at home stuff would be perfect.

Also, Quads are epicly stiff today, time for a break
                                                                                                            I do have the same issues with flexibility, particularly quads/glutes/hip flexors due to the specific training i am doing. I will be incoporating a yoga session in every week to assist with flexibility. You could probably do a few sessions and learn a few moves to try at home.

Comment

Saturday

Bench
                                                                                                              40kg x 5
                                                                                                              60kg x 5
                                                                                                              82.5kg x 5
                                                                                                              80kg x 5 x 2

sloppy imo

Pull-ups
                                                                                                              BW x 5 x 5

Incline DB Bench
                                                                                                              25kg x 8 x 4

T - Bar row
                                                                                                              40kg x 8
                                                                                                              50kg x 8 x 2
                                                                                                              60kg x 8

Chest Dips
                                                                                                              BW x 8 x 5

Inverted Rows

BW x 10 x 5

Comment

Sunday

It's back, CF Murph

1 mile/1600m Run - 10km/h = 9.45

100 Pull ups
                                                                                                                200 Press ups
                                                                                                                300 BW Squats
                                                                                                                Time = 21.40

1 mile/1600m Run - 10km/h = 9.45

Allowing for Transitions, total time 42 mins or so

I set out to pace the middle section 5/10/15 reps of each every minute aiming for 20 rounds in 20 mins, but I ended up taking two 60 second breaks after 11 and 16 rounds.
                                                                                                                I'm still happy as it was basically an 18 round Cindy (I think) in the middle which is respectable enough.

This was the first one I timed v.accurately, so going with 42 as my current best. Sub 40 is doable if I can drop the breaks. Might of even done it today if it wasn't 30 degrees plus

Comment

Monday - Day off

Tuesday - Legs/Shoulders

Had to wait for the squat rack to free up, so did 20 mins stretching on that Precor seat thing, found it pretty good.

Squats
                                                                                                                  60kg x 5
                                                                                                                  90kg x 5
                                                                                                                  110kg x 5
                                                                                                                  115kg x 5
                                                                                                                  120kg x 5

Best set of squats to date, depth was a non-issue, no plates under heels. Made sure to hit full depth on 120kg, even over shot the last a little

Overhead Press
                                                                                                                  40kg x 5
                                                                                                                  45kg x 5
                                                                                                                  50kg x 5
                                                                                                                  55kg x 5
                                                                                                                  57.5kg x 5 *PB*

Manage ti lock out all 5 at 57.5kg for a PB. Hyper-extended the last rep a little, so need to watch that. Was a bit tender last night.

Calf Raises
                                                                                                                  5 sets of 12, weight increasing

Shoulder Press
                                                                                                                  22.5kg x 8 x 5

Hamstring curl machine
                                                                                                                  5 sets of 12,

I'm alway stuck for a third leg excercise when I leave out Deadlifts ???

Front Raises
                                                                                                                  27.5kg x 8 x 4

Hanging Knee Raises
                                                                                                                  18 x 5sets

Comment

forgot to mention...

New 2011 Goals
                                                                                                                    (expect to hit some in a few months)

*Or Body Weight
                                                                                                                    **I want to work up to a handstand push up. The rule of thumb is that you need to be able to press your body weight to do this. It's probably slightly less as arms are partial static and the ROM is prob smaller (unless you do it from parallel bars, which I won't)

The most i've pressed is 57.5 x 5, I could prob do 60. Maybe more but I'd defo need to push press it.

Gym tonight, dunno what to do tbh. Might try CF Fran along with some cardio.

Comment

forgot to mention...

New 2011 Goals
                                                                                                                      (expect to hit some in a few months)

*Or Body Weight
                                                                                                                      **I want to work up to a handstand push up. The rule of thumb is that you need to be able to press your body weight to do this. It's probably slightly less as arms are partial static and the ROM is prob smaller (unless you do it from parallel bars, which I won't)

The most i've pressed is 57.5 x 5, I could prob do 60. Maybe more but I'd defo need to push press it.

Gym tonight, dunno what to do tbh. Might try CF Fran along with some cardio.
                                                                                                                      Some nice stretching goals there Mellor, what weight are you at right now?

Comment

About 81kg, can't stay get under 80 for any length of time,
                                                                                                                        It's not that I'm putting back on fat, i think, as my build is far better now than when I was 81 a few months ago.
                                                                                                                        I've defo put on a small bit of mass.

I have a DEXA scan booked for next week, will be good to put a figure to BF%, only wish I had a figure for last year

Comment

Weds - Metcons

CF Fran
                                                                                                                          21/15/9 reps
                                                                                                                          Of thrusters (42.5kg) and pull-ups

First time trying this, and ugh, it was horrible.
                                                                                                                          It's one of the short and tough metcons. I was about 10mins on it.
                                                                                                                          My thrusters are terrible, don't find them comfortable. Prob related to my dislike/lack of front squats. Pull-ups were neutral grip, and I didn't use full ROM (just so i could get close to 21 and 15 reps)

21/15/9 reps
                                                                                                                          Press-ups
                                                                                                                          24kg KB swings
                                                                                                                          Squats

This was more face pased, did it in pretty much one go, total time 5m10s.
                                                                                                                          would be been faster if i wasn't wrecked from fran.

Bike - 10mins varying resistance

Short session, but was intense enough. Need a break tonight, legs need a break

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X