Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
      Similarly apathetic. Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for? Odious symbols of wealth, fear and power.
      It's a valid enough viewpoint I suppose.
      Would you feel the same way about the artwork of Michaelangelo or LdV, commissioned under the Popes. Or the Medici equivalents in Florence.
      Or if the Giza Pyramids were blown up tomorrow? The Wall of China?

It's relatively difficult to come up with any great landmarks (>200 years old) that weren't in some way based on wealth, fear, warmongering etc.

Comment

Similarly apathetic. Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for? Odious symbols of wealth, fear and power.
        Ah will you stop. It's been a symbol of the soaring grandeur and beauty that can be achieved by the artistic imperative of the human spirit for nearly a thousand years. The most visited attraction in the European Union (at least according to a recent table quiz) because of it's breathtaking scope and elegance.

Seriously 'a symbol of wealth, fear and power' is how you would expect a fourteen year old who thinks he is edgy and deep to think about an edifice like Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          Ah will you stop. It's been a symbol of the soaring grandeur and beauty that can be achieved by the artistic imperative of the human spirit for nearly a thousand years. The most visited attraction in the European Union (at least according to a recent table quiz) because of it's breathtaking scope and elegance.
          Its the most visited attraction becuase its the big thing in the centre of one of the most visited cities in Europe and people need something to do on their holidays. It would get a tiny fraction of the visits were it in some smaller city/town in France. The city is the pulling power not that attraction.

Anyway you should be more concerned about your own sense of perspective and not my immaturity levels if this was the most depressing thing you can remember happening in a long time.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Out of all those boring churches, it's the only one I can remember well, what it was like walking around inside. That was 10-15 years ago since I was there.

Comment

Its the most visited attraction becuase its the big thing in the centre of one of the most visited cities in Europe and people need something to do on their holidays. It would get a tiny fraction of the visits were it in some smaller city/town in France. The city is the pulling power not that attraction.

Anyway you should be more concerned about your own sense of perspective and not my immaturity levels if this was the most depressing thing you can remember happening in a long time.
              Fair point on a poorly chosen figure of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                It's a valid enough viewpoint I suppose.
                Would you feel the same way about the artwork of Michaelangelo or LdV, commissioned under the Popes. Or the Medici equivalents in Florence.
                Or if the Giza Pyramids were blown up tomorrow? The Wall of China?

It's relatively difficult to come up with any great landmarks (>200 years old) that weren't in some way based on wealth, fear, warmongering etc.
                I suspect the epoch where wealth, fear & warmongering are the catalysts for achievements in human engineering is unfortunately far from over.

Obviously there has been architectural wonders in the past 200 years that were't driven by those factors but they certainly still seem somewhat prominent.

Endless articles showing the appalling conditions akin to modern day slavery that exists in the Middle East for the construction of their projects.

Trade unions and artists say workers at Saadiyat Island in Abu Dhabi are subject to segregation, curfew and monitoring by security guards

Tallest structure in the world due to be ecilipsed next year with the completion of the Jeddah Tower and the 2nd tallest Burj Mubarak al-Kabir due to be completed in 2030, all done by vast amounts of migrant works who are immediately expelled on completion.

Comment

I you can't be awestruck by the magnificence of civilisation because you can't see past it's negatives, then you're fundamentally broken.
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Beyond the aesthetic beauty what do they actually stand for?
                    Why do we need to go beyond aesthetic beauty? Shouldn't that be the primary focus of architectural admiration?

I couldn't give a shit about the religious aspect. The fact Notre Dame is a cathedral is irrelevant to my opinion on it's merits as a architectural masterpiece. It's probably the epitome of gothic architecture. It's very impressive for it's time imo. Just on scale and detail. The dark ages that produced plain stone castles that were Neolithic by comparison.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                    I suspect the epoch where wealth, fear & warmongering are the catalysts for achievements in human engineering is unfortunately far from over.
                    Will they ever be over?
                    Large impressive buildings and structures require a lot of money to complete.
                    Wealth and power are almost always going be a factor in the race to be the biggest/tallest/whateverest.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                      I you can't be awestruck by the magnificence of civilisation because you can't see past it's negatives, then you're fundamentally broken.
                      Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      Why do we need to go beyond aesthetic beauty? Shouldn't that be the primary focus of architectural admiration?

I couldn't give a shit about the religious aspect. The fact Notre Dame is a cathedral is irrelevant to my opinion on it's merits as a architectural masterpiece. It's probably the epitome of gothic architecture. It's very impressive for it's time imo. Just on scale and detail. The dark ages that produced plain stone castles that were Neolithic by comparison.
                      FWIW I've never stated that i cant appreciate the architectural prowess of the buildings, they're unquestionably spectacular but its not mutually exclusive that you can appreciate that and have no emotional ties to its potential demise espeically considering the inhumane conditions workers had to endure, the relative poverty of citizens in many cities they were built in at the time, and all the negative religious ties.
                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                        Will they ever be over?
                        Large impressive buildings and structures require a lot of money to complete.
                        Wealth and power are almost always going be a factor in the race to be the biggest/tallest/whateverest.
                        Well wealth will likely always be a factor but I was more referring to fear & warmongering while alluding to the poverty of those taken advantage of in order to complete them.

There's enough fantastic structures completed in recent times such as Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge & Statue of Liberty who's completion wasn't contingent on the essential enslavement of the poor.

The projects under construction in areas such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia etc encompass many aspects of what is currently wrong with various aspects of our society.

Comment

What about the Pyramids Stitch ? Any use to ya?

Comment

Thoughts on Tiger, Willie?

Ready to say you were wrong?

Comment

FWIW I've never stated that i cant appreciate the architectural prowess of the buildings, they're unquestionably spectacular but its not mutually exclusive that you can appreciate that and have no emotional ties to its potential demise espeically considering the inhumane conditions workers had to endure, the relative poverty of citizens in many cities they were built in at the time, and all the negative religious ties.
                              That's fair enough. Your initial post sound a bit like you didn't see the big deal.
                              I'm sure the money in the 12th could have been better spent. But on the other hand, these massive projects kept generations of people work. Sure, would be horrible by today's standards. But they were paid craftsmen. The pyramids were built by slaves.

Comment

A billion euro is going to be used to rebuild it, at least it's just billionaires pledging the money, and they likely wouldn't have put it to a better purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                  Thoughts on Tiger, Willie?

Ready to say you were wrong?
                                  Wrong about what ? That he won't dominate again ? Sure Danny Willet won the masters . He got lucky

Comment

Notre Dame has been a special place for me since Halloween 2000 I was in Paris and on crawling into my hotel bed in the early hours of Sunday morning after a surreal weekend that would have put Hitch to shame I got a call to tell me that my Mother had died suddenly. I couldn't stay in the hotel and went wandering around the city, ended up sitting in Notre Dame at 7AM with a small congregation listening to gregorian chant in almost complete darkness until the light starting to come through the rose window. It was a most beautiful and serene moment and somehow the monumental scale of the cathedral and what had happened fixed me to the moment and stood me in good stead for the days and years that followed.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        Sagrada Familia and that church with the last supper in Rome aside church buildings always leave me a bit cold. It's not even a particularly remarkable church, more a remarkable location.
                                        Do you mean the painting? I think that's on a wall of some fairly unremarkable place in Milan.

Comment

Do you mean the painting? I think that's on a wall of some fairly unremarkable place in Milan.
                                          I think he means the Fryer Tuck up by Croke Park.

Some efforts by Ajax in the CL knockout stages. Arreviderci CR7.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Guessing he means the Sistine chapel.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              I think he means the Fryer Tuck up by Croke Park.

Some efforts by Ajax in the CL knockout stages. Arreviderci CR7.
                                              Just from watching the highlights in the two games versus Juventus they look really dynamic and exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                Just from watching the highlights in the two games versus Juventus they look really dynamic and exciting.

Comment

Really good article on Facebook in Wired, when even the Silicon Valley Pravda is shitting on you you know it’s bad. Fuck that weird cunt Zuck over and break it up please.
                                                  Thank fuck we live in The E.U , at least they are having a dig

Scandals. Backstabbing. Resignations. Record profits. Time Bombs. In early 2018, Mark Zuckerberg set out to fix Facebook. Here's how that turned out.

Comment

GOT
                                                    SPOILER
                                                    its turned into the show I thought it was when I avoided watching it for 1st 3 seasons, I was wrong then but once they ran out of Martins stuff it’s just turned into camp shite. The dialogue is so stilted now.

Hope Tyrion gets gruesomely dispatched , they have ruined him

Comment

Tell us 10 things you think are wonderful about the world and people PSV.

Comment

Tell us 10 things you think are wonderful about the world and people PSV.
                                                        Lots of things , I just don’t feel the need to post about most of them here.
                                                        The thread is titled Bad beat/moaning /venting, so giving out about someone moaning /ranting is a bit much???
                                                        set up a gauche boasting/ fluffy kitten / life is wonderful thread and if I post there moaning then you have every right to snipe
                                                        Reddit front page is what you are looking for I think, that and the ignore button

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                          Lots of things , I just don’t feel the need to post about most of them here.
                                                          The thread is titled Bad beat/moaning /venting, so giving out about someone moaning /ranting is a bit much???
                                                          set up a gauche boasting/ fluffy kitten / life is wonderful thread and if I post there moaning then you have every right to snipe
                                                          Reddit front page is what you are looking for I think, that and the ignore button
                                                          You may or may not know this but this thread was originally set up as a place to discuss/moan/vent about poker bad beats in order to keep them out of other threads that were dedicated to specific topics. This was back when we were a bunch of degens.

Over the years, we've all matured into (semi) responsible adults and the thread has evolved to cover pretty much every topic imaginable (and there have been a few bizarre ones) bar poker bad beats, not they are not allowed, they just don't come up that often.

So it's not against the ethos of the thread to post things that make you happy or that you like. Similarly, nothing wrong with non stop venting if that's what floats your boat but from Hotspurs point of view, I'd say he was genuinely interested as it can't be healthy to be in non stop venting mode.

Comment

Really good article on Facebook in Wired, when even the Silicon Valley Pravda is shitting on you you know it’s bad. Fuck that weird cunt Zuck over and break it up please.
                                                            Thank fuck we live in The E.U , at least they are having a dig

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook...of-fresh-hell/
                                                            Hasn't Zuckerberg not been acknowledging that he has created something so huge and ridden with unintended consequences that it is up to governments to regulate it into something safe to exist in a democracy. With the inference that the genie is well and truly out of the bottle and many governments would rather exploit the power of SM than neutralise it - even if that were possible and it probably isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                              You may or may not know this but this thread was originally set up as a place to discuss/moan/vent about poker bad beats in order to keep them out of other threads that were dedicated to specific topics. This was back when we were a bunch of degens.

Over the years, we've all matured into (semi) responsible adults and the thread has evolved to cover pretty much every topic imaginable (and there have been a few bizarre ones) bar poker bad beats, not they are not allowed, they just don't come up that often.

So it's not against the ethos of the thread to post things that make you happy or that you like. Similarly, nothing wrong with non stop venting if that's what floats your boat but from Hotspurs point of view, I'd say he was genuinely interested as it can't be healthy to be in non stop venting mode.
                                                              Believe it or not I spend pretty much no time in real life dribbling to workmates/friends about how google and facebook are gonna steal their souls etc. I enjoy having a vent in here on the stuff that would get people to switch . tables to avoid you in real life, I find it therapeutic . Like last night I had a rant about Facebook and wished death upon a poorly written (recently) fictional character. If that kind of thing troubles Hotspur then he use the ignore button.
                                                              Like people most on here in the grand scheme of things I lead an insanely privileged and comfortable existence but who the fuck wants to hear about that?

Comment

The day PSV changes is the day I give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  Hasn't Zuckerberg not been acknowledging that he has created something so huge and ridden with unintended consequences that it is up to governments to regulate it into something safe to exist in a democracy. With the inference that the genie is well and truly out of the bottle and many governments would rather exploit the power of SM than neutralise it - even if that were possible and it probably isn't.
                                                                  He is a snake. He’s passing the buck on to governments when there is more he could be doing but the bottom line is all he cares about. Suppose I should spare some anger for people who are still on Facebook after all that’s come out, like there really is no cost whatsoever to not being on it whereas something like WhatsApp can be trickier to do without

Comment

GOT
                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                    its turned into the show I thought it was when I avoided watching it for 1st 3 seasons, I was wrong then but once they ran out of Martins stuff it’s just turned into camp shite. The dialogue is so stilted now.

SPOILER
                                                                    probably one of the worst hours of tv I've watched in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                      It's a Wired article, SP. Don't be bringing facts into this.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

GOT
                                                                        SPOILER

SPOILER
                                                                        I'm assuming Tyrion is playing a part and is pretending to be stupid, if not it's crap. I hope the books are a good bit different, it's gonna just be a big action series now and be boring. It's lost it's bite.

THEY HAVE YOUR DRAGON WE DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS, LETS GO RIDING ON THE DRAGONS WOOOOO, YOU CAN USE THIS DRAGON RIDING LATER JON AS A MAJOR PLOTPOINT

Arya's great though, showing different faces to people. I was mostly just laughing at this episode with bran comically being in the courtyard
                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-04-19, 09:24.

Comment

Like people most on here in the grand scheme of things I lead an insanely privileged and comfortable existence but who the fuck wants to hear about that?
                                                                          Fair enough points.

Just on the quoted bit, I really like to hear when things are going well for people on here.

We've built up a good community here and I'd know a lot of the posters so it's great to here the good stuff.

There's a huge amount of sadness and negativity out there at large so good to get some good bits also.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                            Fair enough points.

Just on the quoted bit, I really like to hear when things are going well for people on here.

We've built up a good community here and I'd know a lot of the posters so it's great to here the good stuff.

There's a huge amount of sadness and negativity out there at large so good to get some good bits also.
                                                                            after 14 months on crutches, happy to say i am now crutch free. I still limp like a motherfucker, have put on 10 kilos, and my right leg is now shorter than my left leg, but i'm free of those evil sticks.

There ya go!!!!

Comment

Can some pm me and idiot proof link *ie a click on it and no utter bolloxolgy is needed to be done so I can watch the GOT

Fucking hate technology so much. Never change PSV

Comment

...
                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                  Can some pm me and idiot proof link *ie a click on it and no utter bolloxolgy is needed to be done so I can watch the GOT

Fucking hate technology so much. Never change PSV
                                                                                  Only one I found was a HD flawless download on pirate bay. If that's any use to you, can tell yoi how to download and watch

Comment

.....the best run country in Europe .....
                                                                                    ??? Wut?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                      after 14 months on crutches, happy to say i am now crutch free. I still limp like a motherfucker, have put on 10 kilos, and my right leg is now shorter than my left leg, but i'm free of those evil sticks.

There ya go!!!!
                                                                                      That's class, you won't know yourself!

Comment

Germany set for 0.5% growth this year. Something is rotten somewhere if the best run country in Europe is growing like that.
                                                                                        That's the German model though. Slow and steady wins the race.

Whereas we oscillate like a teenager on speed in a nightclub.

Comment

Germany set for 0.5% growth this year. Something is rotten somewhere if the best run country in Europe is growing like that.
                                                                                          Reading this yesterday: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/econo...omy/index.html

"The thing that's related that I'm more concerned about is, we will eventually face another recession," says Oh, of UCLA. "And what we've done through the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is use a bunch of the tools that we need to deal with the next recession, at a time when we don't have a recession."

Seems like in the event of recession, Europe may be in a similar spot where its hard to determine where stimulus may come from

GDP change since 1970s, Germany at the top

This video will compare countries using some of the most important aspects, which includes but not limited to GDP, GDP per capita, military expenditure, expo...

Good channel for those graphs too

Comment

0.5% growth in a low inflation environment isn't too terrible, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                              Only one I found was a HD flawless download on pirate bay. If that's any use to you, can tell yoi how to download and watch
                                                                                              I PM'ed him a stream.

I didn't know you were hobbled (I think that's the technical medical term) Shrap, I must have missed it at the time. Sorry to hear that. Glad you're off the crutches.

Is it a permanent limp (apart from the different leg lengths which I imagine footwear could correct)?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                That's the German model though. Slow and steady wins the race.

Whereas we oscillate like a teenager on speed in a nightclub.
                                                                                                Reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me.

He was a sub elite runner and was toeing the line at Dublin Marathon one year and there was a guy up there with them that didn't belong there.
                                                                                                Kitted out in a Mayo jersey, bit of a belly on him and carrying a 1.5l bottle of water.

Gun went and your man tears off. My mate laughed to himself.

Got about 2 miles up the road and Mayo man is on the side of the road in a heap puking his ring. Game over.

Comment

Tommy Tiernan on his friend running a marathonfrom his DVD, Tommy Tiernan - Something Mental

Comment

lol, I'd say it's a common enough occurrence.

Comment

I PM'ed him a stream.

I didn't know you were hobbled (I think that's the technical medical term) Shrap, I must have missed it at the time. Sorry to hear that. Glad you're off the crutches.

Is it a permanent limp (apart from the different leg lengths which I imagine footwear could correct)?
                                                                                                      it's fixeable and working on it every day, as i need to force myself to walk normally, but so used to relying more on the left that I naturally put more weight on it. It also doesn't help that the right leg hurts like hell all the time when walking, and has atrophied significantly having not been used in 14 months.

I've been given pretty excruciating exercises i need to do every day to build strength back in the calf, and currently buying a bike to cycle to work every day, plus gym and pool regularly also. Exercising is the easy part for me, it's the not eating and drinking i struggle with!

Footwear in due course but they want me to strengthen the leg first.

Comment

VIP tickets secured for the rugby.

Helps to know journos occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

He was a sub elite runner and was toeing the line at Dublin Marathon one year and there was a guy up there with them that didn't belong there.
                                                                                                          Kitted out in a Mayo jersey, bit of a belly on him and carrying a 1.5l bottle of water.

Got about 2 miles up the road and Mayo man is on the side of the road in a heap puking his ring. Game over.
                                                                                                          I was at a stags many years ago in Prague.
                                                                                                          We fell out of an all night rave in some warehouse and wandered into the starting area of the City Marathon. We all off our mallets started doing the Tommy Tiernan bit above and edged our way into the runners.
                                                                                                          A few of us ran a mile or so and then bailed over the barricades.
                                                                                                          One very fit mate (played LOI football) did 14 miles in Timberland boots before ducking out (we are back in the hostel and had the whole place looking at the tv coverage to glimpse him, which we did)
                                                                                                          My lasting memory of it was they had beer stops as well as water stops and the mate was in fucking bits for the next few days.
                                                                                                          The route looped around the city twice and he was hopelessly lost so kept running till he saw something he recognised to get home
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                            it's fixeable and working on it every day, as i need to force myself to walk normally, but so used to relying more on the left that I naturally put more weight on it. It also doesn't help that the right leg hurts like hell all the time when walking, and has atrophied significantly having not been used in 14 months.

I've been given pretty excruciating exercises i need to do every day to build strength back in the calf, and currently buying a bike to cycle to work every day, plus gym and pool regularly also. Exercising is the easy part for me, it's the not eating and drinking i struggle with!

Footwear in due course but they want me to strengthen the leg first.
                                                                                                            At least you can play an authentic pirate on Halloween.

Keep up the physio man, you'll regret it if you dont
                                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Francis Higgins driving a virtual bus is surprisingly entertaining

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Similar story, much smaller scale

At a Cabinteely Parkrun a few years ago, it was their 100th as I recall, one lad absolutely belted off down the hill at the start of it, didn't look the part and despite his speed didn't look fluid at all. A few of the others around the front started looking at one another like 'what's this lad up to?'. Fair to say he ran out of gas after 1 or 2 km and probably finished in 50th position or so, he was absolutely dying as I was passing him anyhow!

The person taking photos that day got some good ones of it - firstly him heading off at the speed of light and secondly of the smiles on the faces of the next two, probably 5 seconds behind him after the first 50 yards:

SPOILER

Comment

Believe it or not I spend pretty much no time in real life dribbling to workmates/friends about how google and facebook are gonna steal their souls etc. I enjoy having a vent in here on the stuff that would get people to switch . tables to avoid you in real life, I find it therapeutic . Like last night I had a rant about Facebook and wished death upon a poorly written (recently) fictional character. If that kind of thing troubles Hotspur then he use the ignore button.
                                                                                                                  I miss the old Sporting Emporium days where PSV would be on the end of a bad beat, and before you even get a chance to say 'unlucky', he would be out the door and in a taxi home before the river was even dealt! Good times (bad beat aside )

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                    I want to clean up / speed up my macbook. What should I do?
                                                                                                                    Try CCleaner for Mac to clean up clutter and keep your browsing behavior private. Download the world's favorite Mac cleaning tool for free.

is usually first port of call

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner-mac

is usually first port of call
                                                                                                                      What's best for an Android phone?

Comment

Hotspur and PSV don't change. The rest of you need a bit o work .

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                          I miss the old Sporting Emporium days where PSV would be on the end of a bad beat, and before you even get a chance to say 'unlucky', he would be out the door and in a taxi home before the river was even dealt! Good times (bad beat aside )
                                                                                                                          Fake news! Usually didn’t have the loot for a taxi after those ones. Good times

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X