Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Me last summer
    SPOILER
    We need to see the video before we can award points Tony!

Comment

@opr
      It sounds like some think like psexec to edit the remote files and then a script to restart service to *read* refreshed files might do the job?
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        Just used the house party app with a couple of my friends this evening. It was actually surprisingly good fun despite dodgy connections. Is zoom something like that?

This may be an opportune time to ask what tik tok is also? I've tried to Google it but I'm still baffled.
        Zoom is big in startup world in the states. It’s a more accessible and more effective version of video chat functionality on skype or teams. It’s more robust than house party; and has a desktop version with screen sharing, meeting control, etc.

Works very well for a chat. Just note that if you’re starting a meeting on the free version it will cut out after 40 mins...
        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 28-03-20, 23:23.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Me last summer
          Last summer, a morning before work, filmed myself running to analyse the stride. Stuck the phone in the grass. Didn't work out well for that but got a couple of great stills.

[/QUOTE]
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            @opr
            It sounds like some thing like psexec to edit the remote files and then a script to restart service to *read* refreshed files might do the job?
            I am not really sure that I can or would like to give that kind of access to the remote machine. Ideally, I'd like something where the remote machine is maybe polling a central location to where the files are pushed and it reads them from this remote location when a change occurs and updates the files on the drive? I thought of maybe setting up a repo with webhooks that they share, push and then pull on the remote machine but that all feels a bit messy. The service on the remote machine already does restart automatically when it detects any change made to the files on the drive.

Opr
            Last edited by Opr; 28-03-20, 23:47.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              Lol at all the virtue signallers thanking your post and not a penny donated. ClickTivism at its finest
              lol

Obv now that I didn't even bother to click it.

Didn't thank it tho, so although I'm a hungry cunt, I'm not a virtue signaller

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  Zoom is big in startup world in the states. It’s a more accessible and more effective version of video chat functionality on skype or teams. It’s more robust than house party; and has a desktop version with screen sharing, meeting control, etc.

Works very well for a chat. Just note that if you’re starting a meeting on the free version it will cut out after 40 mins...

I've used a load of different team viewer alternatives for working on machines in remote locations with 3g bandwidth. Using zoom to take control of a PC has been by far the most successful. Really solid product.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Have just seen this..

A brief run for Lazare is putting too many people in danger of catching the plague off him.

Ireland needs him indoors running all day til it's dinner time at 10.30pm.
                    lol, wp man, pasta levels of wit

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                      I am not really sure that I can or would like to give that kind of access to the remote machine. Ideally I'd like something where the remote machine is maybe polling a central location to where the files are pushed and it reads them from this remote location and updates the files on the drive?

Opr
                      If I'm not mistaken what you're looking for. It sounds like a job for rsync.
                      Last edited by coillcam; 28-03-20, 23:43.

Comment

This is a great version of a Tom Waits song not quite a cover version I think Tom wrote it for the King of Rythm and Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2OgM6CflF8
                        Amazing stuff.

Just dawned on me, you posted this in MK didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                          Jesus, The Platform is some movie.
                          Half way through. Vg
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Thought ye were talking about Zoom Poker on Stars, totally confused.

Comment

Spent the last couple of minutes wondering how the fuck it was 2am already.

Comment

Trying this on a phone for the first time, thought this was funny...
                                Attached Files
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  Things are bad enough without the government stealing time from us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                    Things are bad enough without the government stealing time from us.
                                    In fairness, they're propelling us one hour into the future. One hour closer to the pints, barbecues and high 5s.

Comment

In fairness, they're propelling us one hour into the future. One hour closer to the pints, barbecues and high 5s.
                                      And your morning run

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                        Tik tok is for the young lads so you dont need to worry about it
                                        I asked someone a few weeks ago if it was a bit like vine and they called me a fucking retard so I'm somewhere between apathy intrigue and contempt now

Comment

Goodnight my friends.

That was a noteworthy day. A memorable day. They don't happen often.

Comment

Sad and all as it is the fun on houseparty was mostly playing this pictionary type game and how if you don't have any artistic ability almost everything you try to draw ends up looking like a knob.

Had an issue as well where one of the lads' feed went a bit gnarly for about five minutes and when it came back in focus he was literally in the bath.

SPOILER

(Just for those who don't know me I'm not the one with the absolutely absurd beard)
                                            Attached Files

Comment

Omg same. I was like ffs go asleep look at the time (not that I've anything important to do tomorrow ��)

Then looked at watch 1.30. Fuck it may have another gin.

Think in a few days I'll be back to work from home. Some sort live chat help. Fuck sake can you even begin to imagine me on some chat yoke talking about complaints whatever. I'll prob be drunk most of the time and tell them gfys
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

This is peak Tiktock

How much are the Chinese paying hitch?
                                                Any jobs going?

Comment

1 mill cases in 3-4 days?

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                  I am not really sure that I can or would like to give that kind of access to the remote machine. Ideally, I'd like something where the remote machine is maybe polling a central location to where the files are pushed and it reads them from this remote location when a change occurs and updates the files on the drive? I thought of maybe setting up a repo with webhooks that they share, push and then pull on the remote machine but that all feels a bit messy. The service on the remote machine already does restart automatically when it detects any change made to the files on the drive.

Opr
                                                  Very late for me to thinking but cant you create a user with different permissions, or a chroot jail with a copy of updated files, and a couple scripts to check stuff.

Or send to this central location and have it do the pushing with scp or whatever upon edits.
                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-03-20, 02:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

This may be an opportune time to ask what tik tok is also? I've tried to Google it but I'm still baffled.
                                                    What a time to be alive. Tom Segura finally started getting into Tik Tok and is out Tik Tok-ing the Curation Champ herself, Christina P! Who's bringing the f...
                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                        1 mill cases in 3-4 days?
                                                        I'd say so, US are testing at a ridiculous rate now so they'll have so many more confirmed cases in the coming days. Rate of testing in NYC is phenomenal.

The numbers appearing from Spain are quite stark and imo may come to dominate the headlines in coming days.

I was looking at the log scales earlier, so when you compare it with Italy.

It took Italy 11 days to go from 1k to 6k deaths while it has taken Spain 8 days to do the same.

The confirmed cases move at a similar relative rate but not sure the difference in testing.
                                                        Spain with a population approx 75% that of Italy's too so it's potentially even worse.

I am generally optimistic as people know but the horrific pics and stories from Italy are soon to be replaced by those of Spain

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, latest opinion polls from Ireland:

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                          Also on a somewhat unrelated note, latest opinion polls from Ireland:

It's a bit of a triumph of human nature I think - politically, those guys (current government) are all out of a job but are still working themselves to the bone for the country. Seems like people might be recognising that. Or it could just be the usual phenomenon of people rallying behind leaders in a crisis.
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Need sound

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              It's a bit of a triumph of human nature I think - politically, those guys (current government) are all out of a job but are still working themselves to the bone for the country. Seems like people might be recognising that. Or it could just be the usual phenomenon of people rallying behind leaders in a crisis.
                                                              It seems as though FF could do worse than falling in line behind FG at this point.

It'll be interesting over the coming days as the inevitable cabin fever and frustration sets in. Will the rhetoric become a little more political.

FG will come under far more pressure in the next couple of weeks. The spread of the virus in nursing homes and care facilities may unfortunately result in quite a few additonal deaths over whatever their initial projections may have been.

As a broad generalisation, I'd magine that the elderly in these settings are at higher risk than those of a similar age living alone or with family.

Comment

As a broad generalisation, I'd magine that the elderly in these settings are at higher risk than those of a similar age living alone or with family.
                                                                I have a cohort of about 6 - 8 different carers and the HSE Nurse coming in to my father over the course of the week and as I'm in a couple of times a day that puts all of them into the same circle as me. Not ideal but we couldn't manage without them and I'm still more concerned that he continues to get adequate care than anything else.

Comment

It'll be interesting over the coming days as the inevitable cabin fever and frustration sets in. Will the rhetoric become a little more political.
                                                                  I've noticed that Louise O'Reilly and Pearse Doherty in particular just can't help themselves with a little snipe when on the airwaves. O'Reilly yesterday in particular came up with some nasty little soundbite about the arrival of that PPE shipment today 'not being an opportunity for photo ops'.

FF by comparison are taking their tone from Mehole who is very much going down the 'what's best for the country' route. He is a failed politician with an appalling record but I think he does have a smidgen of integrity in there somewhere deep down. Still can't forgive him going out to bat for Bertie though!
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Latest from the department of you couldn't make this shit up

Charter flights to bring in agricultural workers from eastern Europe are needed as a matter of urgency, otherwise fruit and vegetables will be left unpicked in Britain’s fields, the government is being warned.

Some large farms have already been chartering planes to bring in labour from eastern Europe. But farming organisations and recruitment agencies say that, in the face of massive disruption to the agricultural sector caused by the spread of the coronavirus, the government needs to step in and help organise more flights.

Some 90,000 positions need to be filled, many in just a few weeks’ time.

Comment

I have a cohort of about 6 - 8 different carers and the HSE Nurse coming in to my father over the course of the week and as I'm in a couple of times a day that puts all of them into the same circle as me. Not ideal but we couldn't manage without them and I'm still more concerned that he continues to get adequate care than anything else.
                                                                      How would you feel if someone said, "I don't give a fuck if he dies because the country at large voted for the Shinners"?

Basically what LL said yesterday.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Anyone know if any shops selling computer hardware are still open? Not sure if that qualifies as an essential service to facilitate everyone working from home.

On a related note, does anyone have much experience with WiFi boosters? Any products they'd recommend, any quick fixes, is it worth buying a mesh network system etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          How would you feel if someone said, "I don't give a fuck if he dies because the country at large voted for the Shinners"?

For forty years the Shinners didn't give a fuck who they slaughtered as long as the organisation continued to prosper so plus ca change.

Luckily its not as black and white as that now!

There are some ferociously difficult ethical choices flying down the tracks at us.

Comment

Originally posted by LOL_CAMPBELL View Post
                                                                            Anyone know if any shops selling computer hardware are still open? Not sure if that qualifies as an essential service to facilitate everyone working from home.

On a related note, does anyone have much experience with WiFi boosters? Any products they'd recommend, any quick fixes, is it worth buying a mesh network system etc?
                                                                            You can order online.

I bought my dad a simple wifi extender recently that seems to do the job for him (just for Netflix on his smart tv really though):

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                              You can order online.

I bought my dad a simple wifi extender recently that seems to do the job for him (just for Netflix on his smart tv really though):
                                                                              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-E.../dp/B013SYHHI2
                                                                              I have these and they work great: https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/tp-link...QaAlNEEALw_wcB

Comment

Similarly, does anyone know if there are any lumber yards still open and delivering to the south Dublin area? GAB has inspired me so want to attempt to build some decking out the back.

Great to see the resurrection of this thread again.

Comment

Originally posted by LOL_CAMPBELL View Post

Wired best
                                                                                  Homeplugs next best
                                                                                  Then Wifi Mesh
                                                                                  Then repeaters

Repeaters / extenders / boosters are not great tbh. You can get decent mesh systems for <€100 now https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-...mputers&sr=1-7

Comment

Incredible photo..

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Well it’s not basically what I said, unless the patient in this case spent a decade voting for a party that wants to slash or entirely remove the cohort of 6 - 8 carers keeping them alive.
                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Went into my local shopping centre out of curiosity as I was passing. The queue to get into Tesco was about 250m long.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Skankhunt42 View Post
                                                                                            Went into my local shopping centre out of curiosity as I was passing. The queue to get into Tesco was about 250m long.
                                                                                            Tbf, they're severely limiting numbers allowed in at one time so the Qs probably look worse than they are. We did our weekly shop yesterday and it was the same in Aldi, 10 people allowed in at one time, one out one in policy. Just need to be patient.

Comment

43

Comment

The HSE now has around 500 ICU beds, up from 225 beds before the coronavirus pandemic.

Comment

Well it’s not basically what I said, unless the patient in this case spent a decade voting for a party that wants to slash or entirely remove the cohort of 6 - 8 carers keeping them alive.
                                                                                                  Homecare support through the HSE was massively expanded under the last two FG governments.

Comment

19

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                      43
                                                                                                      Originally posted by WhiteKnight
                                                                                                      26
                                                                                                      19
                                                                                                      Thats numberwang!

SPOILER

Don't get sucked in its a nonsense designed to annoy people, there is no right answer because the symbols on the last line are not defined

Comment

I can honestly say the best gadget I have bought in years is my slow cooker. Non stop usage practically 4 days, a week. Meatballs, and gnocchi currently sitting in it.

Nap time for me and dinner ready upon wake up. They are some job. Lamb being the nicest cooked from it.

I thought months ago would end shoved in press. Think the key is leave it on counter so you see it. Fantastic slow cooker group on fb with brilliant recipes, too.
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          The HSE now has around 500 ICU beds, up from 225 beds before the coronavirus pandemic.
                                                                                                          Exceeding new testing goals too.

Now testing 5k cases a day, it doesn't seem like a lot but still ahead of leading nations like Germany.

150% increase in a week.

A few emergency facilities under construction so I expect both numbers will continue to grow in the coming weeks.

Comment

Ahh, gobshite, read it wrong. 60?

Comment

Still a gobshite. 56?

Comment

The fucker has two shoes on. Not having another shot, as every time I look again at it I see something new.

Comment

It’s 43 Jesus lads it’s not that complicated
                                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I'd be surprised if people are still going to be getting much from all those home delivery services that were running last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      try brooks - can order online
                                                                                                                      This has just sorted my fence issue. Ty.

It's amazing the amount of places that dont have their prices online and instead need you to email details and wait for a quote. Brooks just let me price everything up myself and crack on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        43
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                        It’s 43 Jesus lads it’s not that complicated
                                                                                                                        Correct.

Enjoying Strewel losing it tbh
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Go back and read what you wrote. At least have the balls to own it.

You said fuck the 20000 that were projected to die because the country voted for Boris and his ilk in the last election. It was more of a pro Brexit vote, than a Tory vote, in any case.

If Bojo condemned the Irish in a similar fashion, or Trump the Chinese, they would be rightly branded xenophobic.

But, you know, haters gonna hate, right?
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X