Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    That whole paedo trap thing sounds like there's some very sad people involved in it. Imagine how empty your life would have to be to be going around trying to encourage people to sleep with 13-year olds.
    Many *MANY* moons ago I was a bit part of some pedo hunter online group.
    generally it involved setting up user accounts in msn chat or IRC chatrooms, waiting for a PM from someone playing coy and then getting them to do stupid things (shoes on head or something) for nudes and hitting them with "shit you up" flash pages from the police/or sending their details to actual police if they were very noncey.

Haven't thought about that in years, it was treated as a bit of a laugh more than any actual justice searching and guys were mostly ridiculed rather than dobbed in
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

'If there's grass on the pitch play ball' and/or 'what would Jesus do' are probably not the limits of the nuance possible in this particular sphere IMO.

Comment

Comment

Comment

wow, Ireland down to last three in voting for European Banking Agency. Voting for winner now.
              They owe us after the RWC fiasco.

Any decent prospect of winning out? It's Paris and Frankfurt left to beat I think.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Another glorious effort in defeat?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Fair oul sweat now for anyone invested in the Mass Murderer last longer

Adams will probably win out there and might just top the final headcount for non combatants murdered, as long as you don't count the people who died in the famines Mugabwe oversaw
                      Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Ah yeah but I doubt that Bob ever stooped as low personally ordering a young widow to be dragged out of her home in front of her children and murdered
                      Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      Don't feed him.

Originally posted by hitch
                      Hold my beer.....
                      You know, maybe the age of consent is too high....
                      Wp
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

What would winning it have meant to us?
                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                  Fuck all imo although I'm sure hitch will articulate it better than me

Comment

A few very well paid jobs
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

All this trial by social media stuff making me a little uneasy.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

More expense account trade for overpriced restaurants and more jobs for high end prostitutes

Comment

147 people relocated from London, no new direct jobs. Higher earners to drive up the rent. Probably some indirect benefits for a select few.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                              All this trial by social media stuff making me a little uneasy.
                                              I'd say a solid half the people I know in this world have done thing at some point of me knowing them(many on multiple occasions) that would be deemed sackable by current outragennials. You'd have to imagine there's got to be a decent hypocritical proportion of those casting judgements.
                                              Like I see a BBC presenter was suspended at the weekend for sending "harassing" texts to a female colleague ten years ago. A lifetime is a long time to have a squeeky clean slate, it's getting farcical what's deemed worthy of ending someone's livelihood nowadays.
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

A bit worrying that the 3 Kerry lads are first to thank this ^^^ post

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                  147 people relocated from London, no new direct jobs. Higher earners to drive up the rent. Probably some indirect benefits for a select few.
                                                  The confirmation by Barnier today that City firms will not be allowed passport their services into the EU is actually of far greater magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                    The confirmation by Barnier today that City firms will not be allowed passport their services into the EU is actually of far greater magnitude.
                                                    Confirmation until some late agreement is reached to allow most of it to continue as it is.

Comment

Confirmation until some late agreement is reached to allow most of it to continue as it is.
                                                      Brexit means Brexit.

I think Barnier rather enjoyed himself using that line today.

Comment

I'd say a solid half the people I know in this world have done thing at some point of me knowing them(many on multiple occasions) that would be deemed sackable by current outragennials. You'd have to imagine there's got to be a decent hypocritical proportion of those casting judgements.
                                                        Like I see a BBC presenter was suspended at the weekend for sending "harassing" texts to a female colleague ten years ago. A lifetime is a long time to have a squeeky clean slate, it's getting farcical what's deemed worthy of ending someone's livelihood nowadays.
                                                        Bravo

Comment

I'm really not sure this time. Legal issues instead of political!

In a lot of regards, the EU is bound to treat the UK as any other 3rd country apres March 2019, lest it be vulnerable for trade disputes being opened against it.

Most if not all other EU maelstroms we've seen in previous years have been above all political, but Article 50 is first and foremost a (difficult and punishing!) legal process.

Comment

Comment

I agree that the UK are painting themselves into a very difficult corner. I'm probably deluding myself that sense to some degree has to prevail given how much some of the conservatives seem to want nothing more than just to give Europe the two fingers, but losing a lot of the functions of the city would be very disruptive to the EU as well for years , even if lots of it transitioned to one city, such as Frankfurt.

There is no sign of any of the mad Brexiteer 'theory' coming true that everything will be great, but who knows what's to come. One way or another they are going to blame Johnny Foriegner, whether it is for punishing poor Blighty into having to accept terms they don't really want in order to stay a normal country, or for forcing them into a fully hard chaotic Brexit by being unreasonable to 'the will of the people'.

They really should have done what Ireland do and have a second referendum on it. Not going to happen though of course. Aside from the fact that Ireland will suffer loads from it, I'd love to see them suffer for their own stupidity and small mindedness.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                Bravo
                                                                I need to © that
                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Decent chance Ireland is out of the EU if a hard Brexit and CCCTB come in. EU fundamentally has to change and revert back to what it was originally intended for.

Comment

Decent documentary Chasing Trane on John Coltrane on netflix
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Decent chance Ireland is out of the EU if a hard Brexit and CCCTB come in. EU fundamentally has to change and revert back to what it was originally intended for.
                                                                      CCCTB is way way off.

Comment

What is ccctb?

Unless there is a fundamental shift in the EU in a bad direction for us, I can't see us jumping ship no matter how much what happens with brexit.

Comment

Comment

Lucinda sounds like she is angling to get back into Fine Gael
                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

What was EU originally intended for?

EU is amazing. Has done consistently great things and, if money is your bag, made us all much wealthier than we would be alone.
                                                                              Trade. Trade. Trade.

CCCTB - common cosolidated corporate tax base, rest of the EU would have it in the morning if they could. Ireland lost a huge ally in the UK with Brexit.

Comment

The other way to look at this is that the half of the people you know have behaved extremely badly, and society as a whole accepted that that was acceptable behaviour. One of the main reasons it was so widespread is that until now there was never any punishment. People are now slowly realising that sending harassing texts to a colleague is an act worthy of punishment. From your posts you seem completely unconcerned with the many terrible acts that the victims of these acts endured, and obsessed with the unfairness of some of the perpetrators punishment. Maybe some of the people you know who have behaved so badly will think twice in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                  The other way to look at this is that the half of the people you know have behaved extremely badly, and society as a whole accepted that that was acceptable behaviour.
                                                                                  Is that not the crux of the issue though? Punishing someone for behaviour which is now deemed socially unacceptable in the current context but was acceptable at the time it was committed?

Rights and standards are not biological they're cultural. If someone acts within the confines of the socially accepted norms at a time, should they be retrospectively punished for it?

I don't think harassing text messages was ever acceptable but there are certain things which someone may have done that was socially acceptable at the time but they would not do now because there is a shift in what is acceptable.

Ostracising a person in 2017 for committing an act which was socially acceptable at the time it was committed is the issue.
                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 21-11-17, 06:24.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post

Ostracising a person in 2017 for committing an act which was socially acceptable at the time it was committed is the issue.
                                                                                    Unless I’ve missed a controversy, this hasn’t happened yet. Perhaps there’s an example I’m unaware of but so far at least it all seems pretty straightforward.
                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Is that not the crux of the issue though? Punishing someone for behaviour which is now deemed socially unacceptable in the current context but was acceptable at the time it was committed?

Rights and standards is not biological it's cultural. If someone acts within the confines of the socially accepted norms at a current time, should they be retrospectively punished for it?

I don't think harassing text messages was ever acceptable but there are certain things which someone may have committed that was socially acceptable at the time but would not do now because there is a shift in what is acceptable.

I see your point, but the behaviour was always clearly wrong and unacceptable, it was just never punished. New crimes haven't been invented, there is no new legislation outlawing the previously accepted. That's a subtle but important difference in the situation you outline. The fact that the perpetrators thought they were likely to get away with their behaviour doesn't excuse it...it does somewhat explain it though.

That's why i find TheSituations opinion somewhat abhorrent, not once does he recognise the hugely positive effect of having men (and some women) think about their personal consequences of abuse.

Comment

Trade. Trade. Trade.

CCCTB - common cosolidated corporate tax base, rest of the EU would have it in the morning if they could. Ireland lost a huge ally in the UK with Brexit.
                                                                                        Trade is not what the EU was originally intended for. Trade was the means by which it achieved its actual goal, which was to bring peace to Europe.
                                                                                        Originally it was thought that if the necessary commodities of war were controlled between the various member states (coal, oil, steel) that it would make it harder for those countries to wage war with one another.

The EU has been SPECTACULARLY successful.

Comment

Rights and standards are not biological they're cultural. If someone acts within the confines of the socially accepted norms at a time, should they be retrospectively punished for it?

I don't think harassing text messages was ever acceptable but there are certain things which someone may have done that was socially acceptable at the time but they would not do now because there is a shift in what is acceptable.

Can you give me one example where someone is now being punished for something they did in the past which was 'socially acceptable'?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                            Unless I’ve missed a controversy, this hasn’t happened yet. Perhaps there’s an example I’m unaware of but so far at least it all seems pretty straightforward.
                                                                                            @cardshark

Im not suggesting that there has been any thus far, high profile ones at least. It's simply more to highlight the potential trajectory.
                                                                                            As I said abusive messages were never ok.

That's a subtle but important difference in the situation you outline. The fact that the perpetrators thought they were likely to get away with their behaviour doesn't excuse it...it does somewhat explain it though.
                                                                                            I never said that the certainty of not being challenged excuses an action.
                                                                                            I simply highlighted that retrospectively punishing someone for an act which was acceptable at the time it was committed is questionable.

As I said I have no high profile examples and although I don't agree with TheSituation that harassing messages falls into any acceptable context, I understand his point that if the trajectory continues, there is potential that a person may be punished for something that was deemed acceptable at the time but is not ok now.

Comment

The other way to look at this is that the half of the people you know have behaved extremely badly, and society as a whole accepted that that was acceptable behaviour. One of the main reasons it was so widespread is that until now there was never any punishment. People are now slowly realising that sending harassing texts to a colleague is an act worthy of punishment. From your posts you seem completely unconcerned with the many terrible acts that the victims of these acts endured, and obsessed with the unfairness of some of the perpetrators punishment. Maybe some of the people you know who have behaved so badly will think twice in future.
                                                                                              I like how you deem obsession by my one post on the matter. I do enjoy your histrionic sermonising of the bbv.

My point was more that an entire lifetime is an extremely long time to not slightly step out of line once citing the case of Aled Jones being suspended for "juvenile texts" to a colleague over a decade ago. And that a reasonable percentage of those adding judgmental voices to the which hunt would invariably have skeletons in their own closets.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Trade is not what the EU was originally intended for. Trade was the means by which it achieved its actual goal, which was to bring peace to Europe.
                                                                                                Originally it was thought that if the necessary commodities of war were controlled between the various member states (coal, oil, steel) that it would make it harder for those countries to wage war with one another.

The EU has been SPECTACULARLY successful.
                                                                                                It has been successful in some areas but that is in the past the future is the most pressing concern now. Some sort of hybrid EFTA arrangement with the wealthier countries is probably the way forward.

Comment

Ireland currently around breakeven on the EU contributions. Brexit will probably see us become a significant net contributor.

Comment

It has been successful in some areas but that is in the past the future is the most pressing concern now. Some sort of hybrid EFTA arrangement with the wealthier countries is probably the way forward.
                                                                                                    Ireland only leaves if the EU disintegrates. We aren't the only country opposed to tax harmonisation either.

Given how difficult it is for a large country like the UK to get concessions when leaving, how hard do you think it would be for Ireland? Unemployment here would shoot up massively due to the number of companies here as a gateway to the EU. We are too small to be useful for other reasons.

Comment

Ireland only leaves if the EU disintegrates. We aren't the only country opposed to tax harmonisation either.

Given how difficult it is for a large country like the UK to get concessions when leaving, how hard do you think it would be for Ireland? Unemployment here would shoot up massively due to the number of companies here as a gateway to the EU. We are too small to be useful for other reasons.
                                                                                                      We would only be leaving if they take away our tax advantage on corporates which is the same net result on jobs.

Comment

We would only be leaving if they take away our tax advantage on corporates which is the same net result on jobs.
                                                                                                        Just on this. We aren't the lowest; haven't been since all the eastern EU countries joined.
                                                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                          Just on this. We aren't the lowest; haven't been since all the eastern EU countries joined.
                                                                                                          Never said we were, it’s all about the reliefs anyway not the headline rate.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                            Can you give me one example where someone is now being punished for something they did in the past which was 'socially acceptable'?
                                                                                                            I watched a doc recently about the 70s. One of those talking heads things, clips shown, current celeb commentary etc.

They were showing some Dave Allen sketches. One was where he was perving on a young girl in a swimming pool. The audience in the clip were all laughing along heartily. Was mainstream TV.

The current celebs were horrified. Rightfully so based on our more mature standards today.

I couldn't help that my opinion of Allen was soured but I wondered whether that was fair given
                                                                                                            it was clearly socially acceptable at the time.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 21-11-17, 11:20. Reason: ugh, 'where' 'were'
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ireland currently around breakeven on the EU contributions. Brexit will probably see us become a significant net contributor.
                                                                                                              some things are best answered pictorally:

Comment

Would we leave?

Comment

Our government would have to agree under current rules. Why would they do that? Also, other small countries (some at least) are very much opposed to anything like this.

Comment

Over the course of its history there’s almost no realistic measure by which it hasn’t been a resounding success.

It’s primary goal has been achieved to an almost stupefyingly ridiculous level.

People who don’t like the EU tend to point to some individual examples and extrapolate out from them to suit their intended conclusion when the simple fact is that the EU has been and continues to be an overwhelming force for Good in our every day lives.

Reducing it back to a trade union misses the point. It’s never been about trade. It has always been more than that.

Comment

Over the course of its history there’s almost no realistic measure by which it hasn’t been a resounding success.

It’s primary goal has been achieved to an almost stupefyingly ridiculous level.

People who don’t like the EU tend to point to some individual examples and extrapolate out from them to suit their intended conclusion when the simple fact is that the EU has been and continues to be an overwhelming force for Good in our every day lives.

Reducing it back to a trade union misses the point. It’s never been about trade. It has always been more than that.
                                                                                                                      Ironically, it's the Brits who are proving this empirically and beyond doubt at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        Would we leave?
                                                                                                                        we couldn't - as we'd be back to shaking our begging bowl and Brussels is the best place for that

Comment

I like how you deem obsession by my one post on the matter. I do enjoy your histrionic sermonising of the bbv.
                                                                                                                          Apologies, I realised after posting I was conflating you and new approach, he made a similar post to yours.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X