Table etiquette-what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table etiquette-what would you do?

I played a hand in a tournament recently where the guy told me after the hand that he had seen my hand and that was why he raised after I bet the flop. I do know it's up to all players to protect their own hands but what do you think about him raising after seeing my hand trying to make me fold? He said he saw my hand another time too and told me the two cards so no reason to not believe him.

Do you think it was ok to raise with nothing knowing what I'm holding or should he have mucked and said it? He obviously had air cos he folded to a small shove.

The hand:
    SPOILER
    Player utg raises, villain calls, I'm next to act and rr with QQ. Only villain calls. Flop is A73r. He checks, I bet 7.5k, he raises to 18k, I shove for 30kish total. Had a few hours played with the guy and went with a read that he didn't have the Ace. I was right but obviously didn't know he only raised cos he knew I had QQ on an Ace flop. Like I said above, I know it's up to me to protect my hand but bit of a dick thing to raise there imo. I would tell, and have told, people about protecting their hands.

Sick read bro

Comment

If he has already told you once to protect your cards then the only thing he is doing wrong is telling you a second time.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
        Sick read bro
        Thanks. I was discussing that with a couple of mates at the break and they said the guy must have puked knowing what I had and not being able to call. Made it all the sweeter for me tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          If he has already told you once to protect your cards then the only thing he is doing wrong is telling you a second time.
          He hadn't said anything before this hand. He only said it after this hand. And only said about the other hand cos I said I didn't believe him.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
            He hadn't said anything before this hand. He only said it after this hand. And only said about the other hand cos I said I didn't believe him.
            I tell em the first time it happens after that fuck em.

What do you lift your cards to check by the way

Comment

Why would he get involved when he saw you had queens? Talk about butchering it.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                I tell em the first time it happens after that fuck em.

What do you lift your cards to check by the way
                Yeah, I'd be the same. Tell a man once, not twice. That's why it kinda annoyed me, he didn't say anything until after he had to fold in disgust.

I hold the cards down with my left hand, peeling the corner back with my left thumb, covering them with my right hand. I've no idea how he saw them tbh, I dealt for years and am usually very careful. I never look at my cards more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                  Why would he get involved when he saw you had queens? Talk about butchering it.
                  If he just shipped the flop I'd have to fold

Comment

Best thing to do is to now show the other people on the table your hand on multiple occasions Stop trying to put them in an awkward spot
                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                      Best thing to do is to now show the other people on the table your hand on multiple occasions Stop trying to put them in an awkward spot
                      Sorry doug. That's gone over my head.

Comment

If you know he doesn't have the ace, just call and let him bluff it off

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                          If he said you had queens, why did you not believe him?
                          A pretty amazing guess if he didn't see them, given the A high flop.

I don't think he did anything wrong, there's no obligation to let the best hand win.
                          If he was going out of his way to look at your cards, its different of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            If he said you had queens, why did you not believe him?
                            A pretty amazing guess if he didn't see them, given the A high flop.

I don't think he did anything wrong, there's no obligation to let the best hand win.
                            If he was going out of his way to look at your cards, its different of course.
                            It was the way he said it. Nonchalantly saying, sure I know ya have Queens, while tossing his cards. I just laughed and thought he had got a sick read and made a move.

I'm not sure was he trying to look or not. He was seat 5, I was 6. It just sounded kinda dodgy that the two hands he said he saw, I had three bet both times.

As I said, I know I have to protect my hand but was just a bit pissed he would raise without mentioning anything. If he had told me already and then this hand happened, I wouldn't have an issue with the raise because as pointed out above, once is enough to tell someone.

Comment

This seems like a 'you' problem.

Comment

Thinly veiled I made a good read brag. Locking this up.

Comment

From what you say I'm not sure he did see your hand. If he did see your hand then you certainly don't protect it the way you do, and in any case who cares about the etiquette of the situation, just protect your hand properly. Its pretty rude to rob someone but I'm not going to leave my front door open.

Comment

You played the hand awful

Comment

I usually protect myself by not looking at my cards.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Working...
                                      X