Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question for BBVers. If you were recommending some must do or see things in Ireland to a couple in their 50/60s visiting for a week or so, what would they be?

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
      Quick question for BBVers. If you were recommending some must do or see things in Ireland to a couple in their 50/60s visiting for a week or so, what would they be?
      Hire a car and drive between kerry, cliffs of moher, Galway , etc...and take time to take in local attractions, pint of Guinness, etc... Stay a night or two in whatever local B&B available. That kind of thing.
      Last edited by pokerhand; 21-07-15, 06:14.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Stay out of Dublin as it's been invaded by Spatalian teenagers.
          Also avoid Killarney and Cliffs of Moher. Bespoiled.

Do B&Bs. East Cork/West Waterford is really beautiful yet doesn't get the crowds that places like West Cork and Kerry do. Carlow and Antrim also good. Rent a boat and cruise the Erne waterways?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Screen on my MacBook Air isn't working after I'm guessing getting squashed travelling over the weekend. It lights up but just shows lines. Anyone any guess as to how much it'd cost to fix? And do I just bring it to CompuB in town?

Comment

Depends on their interests and general inclination, how much driving they want to do, do they want to stay in just one or two places or would they move every night, how interested they are in arts and culture, what kind of music they like. Are they into walking or any other activities etc.
              A few places I like to bring visitors that don't appear on every tourist agenda:
              Newgrange is a world class site and Armagh and Navan Fort could also be visited in the same day trip.
              Lough Allen / Arigna north shannon.
              Waterford has some of the best coastline, fishing and swimming spots beaches in the country as well as the Comeraghs and some nice villages.
              For anyone that would be up for horse riding / pony trekking there is an excellent trail riding and adventure center in East Galway.
              There are lovely places like the Glen of Aherlow for hill walking and scenery off the tourist trail.
              For Irish music try the area around Ballyvourney on the Cork Kerry border or around Scarrif in East Clare and on a similar theme there are some very good smaller arts and music festivals like Boyle and Kilkenny.

Then again they might be happiest staying in the some big resort hotel in Salthill and listening to Declan Nerney doing his thing.
              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-07-15, 09:04.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Pray for sunshine would be top of the list.

After that I suppose the obligatory spin around the capital for 2 days to see museums before heading for the country.

You have the North West V South West trade of after that.

Northwest - Galway races (next week I think) for a day then out to Connemara, up to westport, cycle the greenway out to achail, up to sligo for some yeats stuff, take a peak at north Donegal if you have the time.

South west - Cork city and work your way round the coast until you hit motorway in Limerick basically. No idea whats on in particular but its west cork and kerry so plenty of nice views and trad pubs for tourists any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  Depends on their interests and general inclination, how much driving they want to do, do they want to stay in just one or two places or would they move every night, how interested they are in arts and culture, what kind of music they like. Are they into walking or any other activities etc.
                  A few places I like to bring visitors that don't appear on every tourist agenda:
                  Newgrange is a world class site and Armagh and Navan Fort could also be visited in the same day trip.
                  Lough Allen / Arigna north shannon.
                  Waterford has some of the best coastline, fishing and swimming spots beaches in the country as well as the Comeraghs and some nice villages.
                  For anyone that would be up for horse riding / pony trekking there is an excellent trail riding and adventure center in East Galway.
                  There are lovely places like the Glen of Aherlow for hill walking and scenery off the tourist trail.
                  For Irish music try the area around Ballyvourney on the Cork Kerry border or around Scarrif in East Clare and on a similar theme there are some very good smaller arts and music festivals like Boyle and Kilkenny.

Then again they might be happiest staying in the some big resort hotel in Salthill and listening to Declan Nerney doing his thing.
                  The west mocks your beaches and fishing spots.

Comment

Whilst people are talking about things to do in Ireland.

I'll be in Kenmare for a few days next week. Is there anything i must do whilst there?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

I'll be in Kenmare for a few days next week. Is there anything i must do whilst there?
                      its a lovely town but not a whole pile to do there. You can do some nice day trips though, west cork, Killarney, etc. The Tom Crean restaurant is nice up the top of the town, across from Lansdowne Arms hotel

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Drive out of Kenmare.

Go see the skelligs,probably the most spectacular tourist attraction in Ireland,get there before the Star wars crew/fans wreck it!
                        It's about 1 hour 20 mins drive to the boat from Kenmare,then 45 mins boat trip,worth it though
                        Last edited by Guest; 21-07-15, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                          Drive out of Kenmare.

Go see the skelligs,probably the most spectacular tourist attraction in Ireland,get there before the Star wars crew/fans wreck it!
                          It's about 1 hour 20 mins drive to the boat from Kenmare,then 45 mins boat trip,worth it though
                          Top of my list of places to visit in Ireland. Stupid rough seas stopped me the 2 times I tried

Comment

London Fire Brigade is criticised on social media for tweeting a joke about "no hipsters being injured" in a fire that partly destroyed a building in Shoreditch.

Comment

Ah fantasy football the season hasnt even started yet and im annoyed. Mostly its your fault arsenal.

Ramsay or Corzola. Will Theo Walcott be a forward his year and how many games will he play and the age old is Rooney due a good start to a season and will he get to be a striker or stuck in midfield again.

Comment

Maybe Lorraine Higgins just needs to take a different approach to the interwebs.

Karen Danczuk: Councillor posts selfies for her 53k Twitter fans, in pictures

NSFW
                                SPOILER

Former councillor Karen Danczuk, and ex-wife of MP Simon Danczuk, is known for pleasing her growing band of Twitter followers with revealing selfies @KarenDanczuk
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                    Maybe Lorraine Higgins just needs to take a different approach to the interwebs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...-pictures.html
                                    Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Higgins is sending death threats to herself, it's the only way she can keep herself in the news. The fact that yet again she ran to the media before the guards says it all

Comment

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Higgins is sending death threats to herself, it's the only way she can keep herself in the news. The fact that yet again she ran to the media before the guards says it all
                                      Sounded to me like she is a bit pissed that the Guards hadn't caught the lad that doing it despite the trail of evidence that must exist from previous episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Sounded to me like she is a bit pissed that the Guards hadn't caught the lad that doing it despite the trail of evidence that must exist from previous episodes.
                                        Maybe she needs her Harmful and Malicious Electronic Communications Bill 2015 enacted into law first.

From April:

Senator Higgins has herself received death threats online.

"This is not about me, it's about vulnerable children. I'm thick-skinned, I can take the cut and thrust of this game," she said.

"At the end of the day, there are a number of vulnerable children who have come out to me since I … talked about my own experiences, and have told me about what they've been suffering.

"We have to protect … people whose mental health and wellbeing is being affected, because there seems to be no penalty whatsoever to the perpetrators."
                                        She is so brave protecting the children and all.......
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I did get a chuckle out of her taking to social media to lambaste John Crown, telling him to stick to medicine for criticising her bill and leave legislation to the legally trained. Especially considering...

Last edited by Denny Crane; 21-07-15, 14:37.

Comment

The Aran Islands. What will the nightlife be like? Any night club?
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                              Pub that'll serve late and be more craic than any of the regular nightclubs if you catch it on a good day.
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Was there on the weekend. It's old school Ireland full of yanks and euros. You'll get bands/trad session in the typical western Ireland pubs. It's dull if looking to party. Great spot to cycle around for a day.

Go from Galway. Never get the ferry in Clare. Worst two hours of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                  Pub that'll serve late and be more craic than any of the regular nightclubs if you catch it on a good day.
                                                  The Guard will close the pub then get the last ferry to the mainland. As soon as the ferry leaves, the pub reopens, the ashtrays come out, and it's carnage til 5am. Not sure what you'd want a nightclub for when you can have that.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                    Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                    Was there on the weekend. It's old school Ireland full of yanks and euros. You'll get bands/trad session in the typical western Ireland pubs. It's dull if looking to party. Great spot to cycle around for a day.

Go from Galway. Never get the ferry in Clare. Worst two hours of my life.
                                                    I like cycling but no chance of this with the crew that are talking about going.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                    The Guard will close the pub then get the last ferry to the mainland. As soon as the ferry leaves, the pub reopens, the ashtrays come out, and it's carnage til 5am. Not sure what you'd want a nightclub for when you can have that.
                                                    I suppose my main question is would there be much opportunity to pull women?

On a completely unrelated note. Is there anyone on here looking to get in to the online gambling industry. If so drop me a pm as a replacement is needed before I move on to a different part of the company.
                                                    Last edited by tipp86; 21-07-15, 15:29.
                                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Definitely not. Stay in Galway.
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm not sure you fully understand where you are going.
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

On the subject of places to go in Ireland :

I'm bringing the missus home for a wedding in August - Its in Killarney so we will be down that area for a few days anyway.

Im thinking of bringing her to east cork due to familial connections - down to Ballycotton for some fishing.
                                                          Then to Kinsale for a night for some good seafood before Killarney for the wedding and probably get the skelligs in.
                                                          Considering heading up the coast then to Clare to see the cliffs of Moher and do some surfing.

Tight enough timeframe as only home for 8 days or so. Anyone advise a must see or something obvious that I've missed? I admit to being an awful tourist in my own country.
                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I'm bringing the missus home for a wedding in August - Its in Killarney so we will be down that area for a few days anyway.

Im thinking of bringing her to east cork due to familial connections - down to Ballycotton for some fishing.
                                                            Then to Kinsale for a night for some good seafood before Killarney for the wedding and probably get the skelligs in.
                                                            Considering heading up the coast then to Clare to see the cliffs of Moher and do some surfing.

Tight enough timeframe as only home for 8 days or so. Anyone advise a must see or something obvious that I've missed? I admit to being an awful tourist in my own country.
                                                            Just spend the eight days in Tralee #hiddengem

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                              Just spend the eight days in Tralee #hiddengem
                                                              Will ya organise us a tour of the printworks?
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Don't forget the aquadome

Comment

Sounds good,hit doolin up when in clare,great view of the cliffs. Cliffs themselves a complete rip off,there is a place you can park and go for free think they might have clamped down though.
                                                                  Worth thinking about ferry from doolin to arans too,iniseer and irish Mor are spectacular

Comment

I admit to being an awful tourist in my own country.
                                                                    Don't forget the aquadome
                                                                    See, I wasn't lying.

Comment

That's a laff. Do they all stand on the pier to wave him off or would that be a bit too cynical?
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Sounds good,hit doolin up when in clare,great view of the cliffs. Cliffs themselves a complete rip off,there is a place you can park and go for free think they might have clamped down though.
                                                                        Worth thinking about ferry from doolin to arans too,iniseer and irish Mor are spectacular
                                                                        Do not get this Ferry unless its a beautiful calm day. I'm still shaking since Saturday. Dún Aonghasa is better craic than the Cliffs of Moher imo.

There is no free parking up there, its 6 quid each. You're nearly as well off going to Doolin to look at them than standing on them. It's a cool place but not as spectacular as people say from up top.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                          Do not get this Ferry unless its a beautiful calm day. I'm still shaking since Saturday. Dún Aonghasa is better craic than the Cliffs of Moher imo.

There is no free parking up there, its 6 quid each. You're nearly as well off going to Doolin to look at them than standing on them. It's a cool place but not as spectacular as people say from up top.
                                                                          This, there are thousands of nicer walks in Clare alone than along the top of the cliffs.

Makes me sick to my soul that they charge 6 a head to go up there. 2 per car to provide good car parking and enough fencing to keep the path safe for walking would have been more than enough.

Comment

You'll have to take your shoes off.

Comment

Donald Trump is a weird dude: https://twitter.com/search?q=loser%2...trump&src=typd

If he is just trolling and having a great glol, then fair enough. But if not.

Comment

Medical Q: I have a dull pain in my left knee for a few months now. Not really noticeable unless I put weight on it. Think it needs looking at. Is there somewhere you can book a scan privately or do you need to go through a GP? Can you just ring the sports clinic in Santry and ask them to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                  Medical Q: I have a dull pain in my left knee for a few months now. Not really noticeable unless I put weight on it. Think it needs looking at. Is there somewhere you can book a scan privately or do you need to go through a GP? Can you just ring the sports clinic in Santry and ask them to do it?
                                                                                  Forget those sort of places unless you detest public places(and i think you might!). Dont do a 2-tap. Just get a gp appointment for the hospital.

Comment

Wouldn't be against going public but would you not have to wait like a year to get them to do it?

Comment

No its pretty quick within a month usually but guaranteed quick if you just go to A&E, that way you will get a same day/next day x-ray. And you wont have to pay the €60-80 doctor fee and only pay the €100 admission in A&E.
                                                                                      Last edited by rounders123; 21-07-15, 19:03.

Comment

...

Comment

The matter rapid clinic in Smithfield is the business. Has all the scans you will need and operates under the matter so is the same as a&e but without the really sick people jumping the que

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                            No its pretty quick within a month usually but guaranteed quick if you just go to A&E, that way you will get a same day/next day x-ray. And you wont have to pay the €60-80 doctor fee and only pay the €100 admission in A&E.
                                                                                            Not a doctor or physio an X-ray would only show up fractures. You need an mri imo. My friend had same symptoms and had 2 tears in cartilage in his knee. He done a heavy work load of running cycling wear and tear. Went to a physio and got mri somewhere in Smithfield some sports facility will show up everything tendons ligaments muscles not just bones like an xray.

Comment

you might inadvertently kill someone if you go to A&E tho zuutroy

Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Was thinking MRI alright. How much is that likely to run me?

Comment

Was thinking MRI alright. How much is that likely to run me?
                                                                                                  Nothing on your health insurance.

Think they are about 250 if paying.
                                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Been in Malta the last week (was hot as hell) what have I missed while being away?
                                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

For private MRI scans, you can go to Euromedic. You're covered through normal health insurance. I went this route earlier this year, although I went via my GP first; you may be able to book directly through that link there, saving yourself the GP fee. The wait time for me was about 10 days, and I was in and out for the MRI in less than an hour. These guys are very professional, it's the exact same as getting the scan done in a hospital.

Once you get the results you still need to go to your GP anyway, as a consultant won't see you without a referral + the scan results. That's assuming you need to see a professional. That's where things start to get costly, probably €200 / visit. You'll generally have to pay that up front, and try to claim it back off insurance later.

Alternatively a GP could probably refer you straight to Santry for the scan + consultant on the same day. You'd then have to pay the fees up front and claim back later.

Going to A+E is completely the wrong approach. It's morally wrong as others have said, and you won't get to see the right people (edit: as in, you'll probably need to see a proper knee specialist/consultant at some point anyway).

Edit: Just checked Euromedic site, and they require a referral from a GP as well. The GP is definitely your first step.

Edit 2: One more advantage of Euromedic is that they also do a very good summary report of the your scan results, which may be enough for a physio to work with (if it's not too serious), rather than having to go to see a consultant.
                                                                                                      Last edited by DMMurray; 21-07-15, 22:10.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                        Been in Malta the last week (was hot as hell) what have I missed while being away?
                                                                                                        Zach Johnson found God in a Hole at St Andrews Golf course and James McClean got a creek in his neck turning away from the Union Jack.
                                                                                                        Thats the main sports news.
                                                                                                        in real world Greece is still fucked and the Orange parades and bonfires were lit up with lots of colour.
                                                                                                        also if you changed your sex while in Malta you are very welcome in the new Ireland we have colourfully created in the last few months.
                                                                                                        Welcome back to the real world
                                                                                                        Last edited by balfejohn; 21-07-15, 23:43. Reason: poor spelling

Comment

Drew with Dublins no.1 and beat an Irish international youth in darts tonight whilst having vertigo or head cancer. Class having darts back.

Comment

there once was a lad named chad
                                                                                                            who something something mad
                                                                                                            he likes to play darts
                                                                                                            he smells his own farts
                                                                                                            he has vertigo or head cancer

Comment

There once was a pain in my head
                                                                                                              Makes me feel like I'll be soon dead
                                                                                                              Hasn't got me yet
                                                                                                              Be better off with a vet
                                                                                                              Surely some cunt will have the right med

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      @Andy, did you catch last nights South Bank show on Sky Arts with GRRM?

Just watched it there, excellent hour of TV. What a really cool guy.

Was searching sky for a repeat but couldn't find one.
                                                                                                                      I did not. Will have to find it. He is indeed an interesting figure.
                                                                                                                      Its repeated tonight on Sky Arts. I say its repeated tonight on Sky Arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                        [everybody okay?]
                                                                                                                        I've discovered a fabulous new weight loss formula. Purchase one burrito. Wait a few hours.
                                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X