Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one surrenders like the French . It's contagious .

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Its happened in most European countries as they moved from houses to apartment structures. The secret is you persuade a few people living next to each other to sell their houses in return for (a) a whole lot of cash, and (b) a free apartment in the new building. Usually done when an area has aged quite a lot, so the idea of an apartment is glorious compared to maintaining a falling down house. So there's no compulsory purchases involved, its the cash incentives because the land itself is worth way more than the crappy house on top of it (particularly the case with somewhere like Bayside - those houses are in a perfect position, but weren't built to last this long).

Anyway I've just solved your long-term housing problem and its not even midnight on a weekday. I'll take your silent praise on the matter.
      As long as you continue to sneak in references to the pressing issues of the day amongst all the above nonsense, you can post away.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Out of curiosity.....

ONE of the key topics of conversation as the Brexit deadline looms is whether or not a hard border will be put in place between Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Comment

My brother had utd 3-1 @250/1
          The prick
          EDIT...
          Last edited by DeadParrot; 06-03-19, 22:28.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

€1300 in the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp pot already.

A guy could show a gal a swell time with that kinda scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Correct, like an impressive-enough 70%.

Comment

Seriously, the longer this goes on the more incredible the level of cunt Mourinho must be gets to.

Comment

I (think) can remember that from my Junior Cert geography

SPOILER

Derry top left
                  Antrim top right
                  Tyrone under Derry
                  Bottom three (from left to right)
                  Fermanagh, Armagh & Down

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Seriously, the longer this goes on the more incredible the level of cunt Mourinho must be gets to.
                    And he has said he would like to go back to Madrid and after their recent results it's very possible he will so we could see even more Lol from him

Comment

I just have an image of Jose having a narcissistic meltdown somewhere like Dennis from Always sunny.
                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                        And he has said he would like to go back to Madrid and after their recent results it's very possible he will so we could see even more Lol from him
                        Can a virus give a virus a virus?

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                        I just have an image of Jose having a narcissistic meltdown somewhere like Dennis from Always sunny.
                        The thoughts of him having a tearful, violent puke somewhere are marvellous.

Comment

Anyone who wants to watch a nice film . Green Book is just pure class.
                          sigpic
                          Longshotvalue.com

Comment

Originally posted by aidankk View Post
                            Anyone who wants to watch a nice film . Green Book is just pure class.
                            Tipped it up here weeks ago. Quality film and well deserving of the oscar

Comment

deaths have been greatly exaggerated. What a pic

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                Jesus no, I only thought of it when we were 2-1 up, no idea why it popped into my head, as haven't given it a seconds thought since I read it three weeks ago
                                Ya, ya, I believe you.

You probably have a long list of bookmarked posts 'just in case'.

Comment

Mike Phelan not getting anywhere near the praise he should.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                    deaths have been greatly exaggerated. What a pic

You should have waited 5 more minutes to post that.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Can't remember such unanimous opposition to a Kayroo argument ever.

The new Jack?
                                        I'm not saying you shouldn't switch mortgages. I'm saying the way he is suggesting it be done is... troublesome...

SPOILER
                                        I miss Jack
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Tipped it up here weeks ago. Quality film and well deserving of the oscar
                                          Roma was robbed. Just sayin'. Really weak selection of films this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                            I'm not saying you shouldn't switch mortgages. I'm saying the way he is suggesting it be done is... troublesome...

SPOILER
                                            I miss Jack
                                            Of course, if you enter the [snip], that's a fully above board way to scoop a vast pile of notes.

Just thought I'd mention it.
                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-03-19, 09:33.

Comment

Of course, if you enter the [snip], that's a fully above board way to scoop a vast pile of notes.

Just thought I'd mention it.
                                              Banned for spam

Comment

lol, wp.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  With the upcoming Brexit deadline it's good to find out how British MPs feel about soldiers shooting British citizens.
                                                  Even by the standards of incompetence and stupidity May's Tory government have set its fairly remarkable that Karen Bradley could come out with a statement so gauche and incomprehensibly stupid
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Reading a book at the moment Enlightenment Now, and as a result was thinking how notably light we are on big news stories these days. Like there's no ship sinkings, mass famines, plane crashes, very little war, no polio or flu epidemics wiping people out. We're kinda reduced to making news out of a US presidents tweets. The news has become boring and irrelevant almost precisely because the world has reduced the number of newsworthy (i.e. awful) events. Fair fcks.
                                                    Lol , plenty of famines on the way mate don’t worry,major western countries will experience a famine our generation and plenty conflict too.
                                                    I see the olive crop has failed badly in Italy and Greece this year due to unprecedented weather conditions

Read this book , The uninhabitable earth, just getting into it very good on how it’s way worse than the media is generally portraying it. Far better than Stephen pinkeyes feel good candy floss fairytales for adults

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice to see you're offering something in the way of evidence for your consistent apocalyptic claims for a change.

I'm interested, I'll definitely read it. I just hope I'm able for it now having read all that Pinker candy floss.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                            The prick
                                                            EDIT...
                                                            Lukaku FGS and 3-1 for 250/1 3-1 was 40/1, but he also binked that, and the FG bet so rolling in it! Was Lukaku really 10/1 FGS for the game??

Stone wall. Very silly.

Yep, its terrible the way they do it but it's only the first season of it so very much a work in progress
                                                            Stone wall? Really?

The shot was going over, the player had his back turned, it was ball to hand.

When the defender jumps and turns his back, he is leaving himself open because he has very little control over his arms, but it's far from a stonewall penalty.

Comment

We're currently in a situation where almost no-one in the world is hungry, for the first time in history. The idea that the next step is therefore famine is mad.
                                                              Hey look , I genuinely hope you are right and you are on here dragging up my old posts for ridicule in 2040 or whatever. Things are good for me IRL and I certainly don’t want the world to burn. I’d love nothing more to still be living my utterly comfortable middle class wank lifestyle in 20 years. I don’t particularly want to give up foreign travel, driving a car, eating meat, heating my home a lot,having access to a varied diet regardless of season etc. but those are all things me and billions of others will have to do in order to avert catastrophe. And it is simply not going to happen
                                                              But the evidence and consequences are stacking up.
                                                              Almost nobody in the world is hungry now you say (although according to the UN in 2016 there was 815 million people who might quibble with you on that). Fine. I don’t see how that is going to continue when we are going to see large drops in agricultural yield due to unpredictable and unstable weather, something which most credible studies show is only going to increase in coming years

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                Hey look , I genuinely hope you are right and you are on here dragging up my old posts for ridicule in 2040 or whatever. Things are good for me IRL and I certainly don’t want the world to burn. I’d love nothing more to still be living my utterly comfortable middle class wank lifestyle in 20 years. I don’t particularly want to give up foreign travel, driving a car, eating meat, heating my home a lot,having access to a varied diet regardless of season etc. but those are all things me and billions of others will have to do in order to avert catastrophe. And it is simply not going to happen
                                                                But the evidence and consequences are stacking up.
                                                                Almost nobody in the world is hungry now you say (although according to the UN in 2016 there was 815 million people who might quibble with you on that). Fine. I don’t see how that is going to continue when we are going to see large drops in agricultural yield due to unpredictable and unstable weather, something which most credible studies show is only going to increase in coming years
                                                                That seems to be the crux of your claims that would cause most people to largely disagree with you. Everybody knows there is issues and more needs to be done -especially in relation to climate change- but the evidence is not stacking up, conversely it seems to be stacking up in the opposite direction.

Famine is not widespread and yes 800m people in the world may be hungry but that has reduced significantly and is continuing to reduce.

It seems incorrect to extrapolate that we're moving towards famine because of olive failure in Greece/Italy or that we have a period of low-yield in certain areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                  That seems to be the crux of your claims that would cause most people to largely disagree with you. Everybody knows there is issues and more needs to be done -especially in relation to climate change- but the evidence is not stacking up, conversely it seems to be stacking up in the opposite direction.

Famine is not widespread and yes 800m people in the world may be hungry but that has reduced significantly and is continuing to reduce.

It seems incorrect to extrapolate that we're moving towards famine because of olive failure in Greece/Italy or that we have a period of low-yield in certain areas.

It’s pretty well established that overall agricultural yields will decrease as temp increases no? Like it’s not some weird conspiracy belief.And in any case current yields are dependent on practices and products that are a) environmentally damaging and b) contribute to climate change
                                                                  Climate change will have a negative effect on key crops such as wheat, rice, and maize, according to a major scientific report out Tuesday that reviewed 70 prior studies on global warming and agriculture.

Comment

My honest thinking on the penalty.

1. It’s irrelevant if the ball is going over the stands or in the goal , if it’s a hand ball or a deliberate attempt to make yourself bigger with arms out then it’s a peno

2. It wasn’t any of that and in my view it was a VAR induced Peno. In real time that is never given. Even if the player was being clever there is no way in hell it should have gone to Var.

Var should be for more clear cut decisions, they should not be such silly interpretations. PSG were robbed in this regard. (hate Neymar so cool)

3. When it does go to Var it looks more incriminating, as would anything slowed down. To jump you need to move your hands up, then looking at the ball as you do it (despite the back turning) can lead to people misinterpreting your actions. In my view the player was just jumping and the ball went from his back and glanced off his upper arm at speed. A terrible decision

4. I wouldn’t be surprised if PSG tried to sue someone J

Roma were not only robbed at the Oscars, they were also robbed by VAR last night. Shocking use of the technology. Rules need to be rewritten.

PS FU JOSE.

ALways knew Solskjaer was special. The new Special one.

Comment

I’ll give it a rest for now anyway, no appetite for discussing this here beyond platitudes about how yeah it’s bad is but good old fashioned human pluck will sort it.
                                                                      Obv I don’t ever discuss this kind of thing in real life as don’t want to be “that guy” and it’s pretty grim tbf
                                                                      [IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]
                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-19, 11:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                        My honest thinking on the penalty.

1. It’s irrelevant if the ball is going over the stands or in the goal , if it’s a hand ball or a deliberate attempt to make yourself bigger with arms out then it’s a peno

2. It wasn’t any of that and in my view it was a VAR induced Peno. In real time that is never given. Even if the player was being clever there is no way in hell it should have gone to Var.

Var should be for more clear cut decisions, they should not be such silly interpretations. PSG were robbed in this regard. (hate Neymar so cool)

3. When it does go to Var it looks more incriminating, as would anything slowed down. To jump you need to move your hands up, then looking at the ball as you do it (despite the back turning) can lead to people misinterpreting your actions. In my view the player was just jumping and the ball went from his back and glanced off his upper arm at speed. A terrible decision

4. I wouldn’t be surprised if PSG tried to sue someone J

Roma were not only robbed at the Oscars, they were also robbed by VAR last night. Shocking use of the technology. Rules need to be rewritten.

PS FU JOSE.

ALways knew Solskjaer was special. The new Special one.
                                                                        They are taking the word “deliberate” out of the wording around handball rule in summer I think so stuff like last night will always be a stonewaller cert of a peon in future bar reviews.
                                                                        It’s how refs have been interpreting it anyway but prob a lot of people feel is harsh currently and the word deliberate fuels that belief
                                                                        I’m happy enough with it tbh

Comment

They are taking the word “deliberate” out of the wording around handball rule in summer I think so stuff like last night will always be a stonewaller cert of a peon in future bar reviews.
                                                                          It’s how refs have been interpreting it anyway but prob a lot of people feel is harsh currently and the word deliberate fuels that belief
                                                                          I’m happy enough with it tbh
                                                                          'Deliberate' is only being taken out for attacking situations. They want to prevent the (genuinely) accidental punch into the net or elbowed assist.

Deliberate/non-deliberate will still be a factor from a defensive pov, otherwise the game would descend into forwards trying to kick it against defenders arms.

Comment

It’s pretty well established that overall agricultural yields will decrease as temp increases no? Like it’s not some weird conspiracy belief.And in any case current yields are dependent on practices and products that are a) environmentally damaging and b) contribute to climate change
                                                                            https://m.phys.org/news/2017-08-clim...op-yields.html
                                                                            A quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

A quarter to half of Earth’s vegetated lands has shown significant greening over the last 35 years largely due to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Climate Change on April 25.

An international team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries led the effort, which involved using satellite data from NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectrometer and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer instruments to help determine the leaf area index, or amount of leaf cover, over the planet’s vegetated regions. The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States.

Comment

If that peno was given against Ireland in a big tournament match we would never hear the end of it.

Comment

Yeah higher C02 levels can promote some plants growth up to a point, but there’s other factors

Let’s not turn this into a googling link spam fest , last one

Higher CO2 levels can affect crop yields. Some laboratory experiments suggest that elevated CO2 levels can increase plant growth. However, other factors, such as changing temperatures, ozone, and water and nutrient constraints, may counteract these potential increases in yield. For example, if temperature exceeds a crop's optimal level, if sufficient water and nutrients are not available, yield increases may be reduced or reversed. Elevated CO2 has been associated with reduced protein and nitrogen content in alfalfa and soybean plants, resulting in a loss of quality

climate change, global warming, impacts, effects, agriculture, food supply, Livestock, crops, fisheries, ocean acidification, shellfish, international impacts

Comment

Interesting to see a few rugby pundits take the “Sexton might be too much of a prick” line recently

Comment

If that peno was given against Ireland in a big tournament match we would never hear the end of it.
                                                                                    We will never hear the end of it anyway.

Comment

We're currently in a situation where almost no-one in the world is hungry, for the first time in history. The idea that the next step is therefore famine is mad.
                                                                                      821 million people now hungry and over 150 million children stunted, putting hunger eradication goal at risk

I think you have a really blinkered world view, there might be some truth to that things are getting better in total, but most of the worlds population lives in developing countries - and poverty there is genuinely terrifying.

Comment

Seems like PSV is just saying "past performance is not indicative of future results", regarding humans tackling problems they get themselves into instead of the market. Humanity has a much easier time of destroying itself wholly now, even more so in the future as technology ever advances, so that would hold up to me.
                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-03-19, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                          https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...un-report-says

I think you have a really blinkered world view, there might be some truth to that things are getting better in total, but most of the worlds population lives in developing countries - and poverty there is genuinely terrifying.
                                                                                          Except that the poverty in those countries is measurably less than in previous decades.

China and India didn't have a middle class until very recently. Now - hundreds of millions of people lifted out of poverty.

Comment

Interesting to see a few rugby pundits take the “Sexton might be too much of a prick” line recently
                                                                                            He is our prick after all.

Comment

Of course, the easiest way to lift yourself out of extreme poverty is to win the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp.

Comment

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...un-report-says

Things are getting better at an incredible rate, the numbers being lifted out of poverty each year is astounding. I don't think Hitch ever had the belief that we live in a utopia; but things are getting remarkably better.
                                                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-03-19, 12:36.

Comment

Lines like this sound mad

Britain, which aims to lift industrial productivity as it leaves the European Union

BAck to the good old days

Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-03-19, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                    Roma was robbed. Just sayin'. Really weak selection of films this year.
                                                                                                    Should Netflix films count though? Heard something on the radio about it when the Oscar's were on. Dunno much about the "rules" regarding films tbh. Always thought it was just cinema films that competed for Oscar's

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      Stone wall? Really?

The shot was going over, the player had his back turned, it was ball to hand.

When the defender jumps and turns his back, he is leaving himself open because he has very little control over his arms, but it's far from a stonewall penalty.
                                                                                                      Yep, stone wall. Arm was out and he only pulled it away when he made contact with the ball. Where the ball was going or would have ended up is totally irrelevant.

Also, theres a CL quarter final on the line and you're in the last 90 seconds, grow a fucking set and throw your body at it. Deserves it for being a pussy anyway.

Contrast that with Verratti all out throwing himself at the ball, he just couldn't get the block in time.

Comment

Should Netflix films count though? Heard something on the radio about it when the Oscar's were on. Dunno much about the "rules" regarding films tbh. Always thought it was just cinema films that competed for Oscar's
                                                                                                        I think they should. Roma qualified for the Oscars because it had a limited cinema release.

It's a weird rule though given the way in which we consume movies is changing and it just seems like it's primarily snobbery that's driving the anti-Netflix push

Comment

well if it's on the list of nominees, then it's in contention!

Spielberg is kicking up a fuss is all. i disagree personally. all films count, and sad thing is, there is such a massive loophole where films just get released in 1 cinema for a couple of weeks, and it then "qualifies".

Since Roma's success though, plenty of cinemas are showing it, so it works both ways.

Comment

Jesus, I thought massive logo tops from Hilfiger,Polo Ralph Lauren , Hugo boss etchad gone extinct but seem to be making a big comeback, horrific stuff

Comment

Jesus, I thought massive logo tops from Hilfiger,Polo Ralph Lauren , Hugo boss etchad gone extinct but seem to be making a big comeback, horrific stuff
                                                                                                              Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like mumblezflintstone.

Yeah a few funny memes about Ralph Lauren anyway

Not sure how you make that appear, thought it worked with imgur

Comment

Except that the poverty in those countries is measurably less than in previous decades.

China and India didn't have a middle class until very recently. Now - hundreds of millions of people lifted out of poverty.
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                Things are getting better at an incredible rate, the numbers being lifted out of poverty each year is astounding. I don't think Hitch ever had the belief that we live in a utopia; but things are getting remarkably better.
                                                                                                                I don't think you guys are actually reading what he is writing.

"We're currently in a situation where almost no-one in the world is hungry, for the first time in history."

Is simply not true. And the fact that LESS people are now hungry does not mean that NO people are hungry. And the amount of hungry people is not insignificant. Its not a tiny number. According to the statistics provided by PSV is nearly a billion people, or 1/9 of the worlds population.

Also, there is something deeply unsettling about people borne into enormous relative wealth writing off the problems of world so flippantly.

Comment

Love that phrase “lifted out of poverty “, always dropped as if the lift out is a permanent thing . You can also be “dropped into poverty “ . Especially seeing as a lot of the lifting has been enabled by exploitation of an all too finite resource who’s very exploitation is degrading the environment to such a horrific extent
                                                                                                                  It’s happened to prosperous societies in the past, there are plenty examples from history of civilizations overshooting the capacity of their environment to sustain them(the maya, Easter island etc). It’s pure arrogance to think we are any different, only difference this time is the scale is global
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 07-03-19, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    Seems like PSV is just saying "past performance is not indicative of future results", regarding humans tackling problems they get themselves into instead of the market. Humanity has a much easier time of destroying itself wholly now, even more so in the future as technology ever advances, so that would hold up to me.
                                                                                                                    Yeah that’s a bit more succinct than my rambling tbf

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      The prick
                                                                                                                      EDIT...
                                                                                                                      Guy in work had that exact bet too.
                                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I see the Swedish film Border is getting a mainstream release in IFI and The Lighthouse over the next week. I saw it in a festival and I guarantee you will never have seen anything like it before, nor will you ever forget it. If curious go without reading anything about it though.

Speaking of not like anything ever seen, I read Martin McDonagh's most recent play last night - A very very very dark matter. The most batshit play I've ever come across. Hans Christian Anderson's stories are written for him by a Congolese pygmy woman she keeps in a 3 foot box suspended from the ceiling of his room to whom he is sadistic. Oh and she's from the future, and Charles Dickens' novels are written in similar fashion by her sister.

Comment

Also, there is something deeply unsettling about people borne into enormous relative wealth writing off the problems of world so flippantly.
                                                                                                                          Little ad hominem dig, I like it.

The world has problems. The world, on balance, is a better place to live than in the past.

The two things are not exclusive.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X