Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Flutter was the first betting exchange around 2000/01 I think.
    Didn't quite know how to operate properly though, and lost out to the new kids quickly.
    Presumably the name is a nod to them.
    Surely 'flutter' was picked for the harmless, fun connotations associated with the word.

"I lost the case loots drunkenly punting Malaysian badminton"

"I lost a few quid on a flutter"
    Ho, ho what larks.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

We are about to get our second cash back mortgage in 3 years, it is a great incentive. The commentary doing the rounds advising people to stay away from those offers makes me laugh, I would think any switcher who is motivated enough to switch and avail of the offer is hardly likely to then go on to leave their mortgage at a market high rate for the next 30 years.
      Last edited by mcnugget; 06-03-19, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Flutter was the first betting exchange around 2000/01 I think.
        Didn't quite know how to operate properly though, and lost out to the new kids quickly.
        Presumably the name is a nod to them.
        IIRC Betfair bought up Flutter back then and so would presumably have owned the name since.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
              Wanna bet ?
              Nah...that's grim enough even suggesting betting on that to be honest man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Anyone getting fixed rate (which you almost always pay an extra rate for) is a madman. Present company excepted. There's zero chance of European interest rates rising in any way significantly for the next five years. So you are paying insurance for an event that isn't going to happen. Now the variable rate could go up regardless, but that doesn't make sense either given the market is returning to being properly competitive and can just switch to avoid.
                Yeah it wasn't exactly my idea if you take my meaning.

Comment

Anyone getting fixed rate (which you almost always pay an extra rate for) is a madman. Present company excepted. There's zero chance of European interest rates rising in any way significantly for the next five years. So you are paying insurance for an event that isn't going to happen. Now the variable rate could go up regardless, but that doesn't make sense either given the market is returning to being properly competitive and can just switch to avoid.
                  In a normal mortgage market yes but not nowadays in Ireland. KBC, BOI and Ulster all offer far lower fixed rates than variable. KBC are offering 2.3% fixed for 2 years, you won't come anywhere close to that on a variable.

Comment

Wonder would the avg Joe Soap thinking about buying a house get much from this
                    trinity college dublin,university,ireland,irish,universities,tcd,national,university of dublin,research,academic,study,studying,undergraduate,postgraduate

Comment

"It would take something more than a thing like you to flutther a feather o' Fluther."

Speaking of O'Casey, last summer I saw Phelim Drew do a one man show called Joxer Daly Esq. in the O'Casey character. It was magnificent. It's returning over the next while to some theatres. Sat 23 March in Mermaid in Bray, Wed 27 March Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire, and Apr 29-May 11 in the Viking in Clontarf.

Comment

regardless of UK or not, but fixed rates are usually 2 or 3 times lower than a variable one. surely you'd be crazy to take a variable rate?

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                          In a normal mortgage market yes but not nowadays in Ireland. KBC, BOI and Ulster all offer far lower fixed rates than variable. KBC are offering 2.3% fixed for 2 years, you won't come anywhere close to that on a variable.
                          Jesus, that one would save me €120 a month. €1500 towards legal costs, free valuation, life insurance and half price home insurance. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                            Nah...that's grim enough even suggesting betting on that to be honest man.
                            Was a wee pun/joke :-)

Comment

You can make overpayments on your fixed rate mortgage. An Early Redemption Charge is due if you repay all or part of your mortgage before the end of the set fixed period, however you can make an overpayment of 10% of your outstanding fixed rate balance each year without incurring an Early Redemption Charge.
                              Does the above mean I can overpay by 20k in a year without penalty if I have a 200k mortgage say?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                Does the above mean I can overpay by 20k in a year without penalty if I have a 200k mortgage say?
                                My mortgage is fixed LT so if that's true, it would be great, we have considered paying off a chunk already but the penalty was holding us back.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                  Yeah 10% overpayment allowance is standard. Also the penalties for break are not anywhere near as onerous as they used to be. Apologies, it’s Ulster who offer 2.3% (with €1500 upfront). KBC are 2.5% with €3k.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                    My mortgage is fixed LT so if that's true, it would be great, we have considered paying off a chunk already but the penalty was holding us back.
                                    It varies from bank to bank but as far as I know most of them allow some level of overpaying of fixed mortgages. AIB are one exception where you can't do so without penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                      "It would take something more than a thing like you to flutther a feather o' Fluther."

Speaking of O'Casey, last summer I saw Phelim Drew do a one man show called Joxer Daly Esq. in the O'Casey character. It was magnificent. It's returning over the next while to some theatres. Sat 23 March in Mermaid in Bray, Wed 27 March Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire, and Apr 29-May 11 in the Viking in Clontarf.
                                      I'm going to the DL one. Will take the mrs to the Clontarf one if it's good as we'll be living a stroll away by then.

Comment

Just wrote a 600 word newspaper article in 15 minutes - a rather phenomenal 40 words a minute incorporating idea generation while writing. Breaks my previous record of two weekends ago of 1500 word magazine article in 90 mins. Needs must. Should be writing for the Daily Mail!
                                        Already been done.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going SVR with AIB - but will be reducing the principal by ~75% when we get the cheque for the old place.

Then I'll be shopping around like a motherfucker.

Comment

Always feel left out of these discussions. Would like to buy, but can't really give up the flexibility of renting. Have no idea where I'd actually want to plant myself.
                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-03-19, 16:12.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                Not much details to give really. I have gigabit fibre with siro from Vodafone, although most of my devices aren't capable of taking advantage fully yet. Some mad low ping rate like 3ms, which if you're a gamer (which I'm not) is great. No contention to deal with either.
                                                What are the speeds like up/down, cost?
                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  Always feel left out of these discussions. Would like to buy, but can't really give up the flexibility of renting. Have no idea where I'd actually want to plant myself.
                                                  Same, bit caught in the limbo of not investing my money either out of inertia/laziness/general fear of impending doom. Specially with a lot of my mates having houses now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                    Same, bit caught in the limbo of not investing my money either out of inertia/laziness/general fear of impending doom. Specially with a lot of my mates having houses now.
                                                    For a longtime I had the very Irish attitude of "rent is dead money" but that's definitely changed in the past few years. I could see myself renting again if the right opportunity came up elsewhere.

I have read some things in the past about not falling into the "trap" of viewing the home you purchase to live in as an investment.
                                                    It doesn't really represent a true investment as you would need to spend money on rent if you didn't own it vs a true investment.

Dublin housing market overpriced by global standards, it doesn't seem like the time to get involved if you have half an eye on investment.
                                                    The Economist suggested Dublin was 25% overpriced in August but I'm sure there's various ways to view it.

Comment

Buying a house for a single person doesn't even seen realistic/possible these days. Not on my wage anyway
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                        Buying a house for a single person doesn't even seen realistic/possible these days. Not on my wage anyway
                                                        Get yourself a rich divorcee lady friend imo

Comment

If you want to invest in property, just get stuck into REITs.

Anyone who punts on buying an individual property is a loon imo.

Comment

Have you looked at http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie

I know someone who got it, there's a few horror stories about it but they were lucky enough to get it.

Comment

For a longtime I had the very Irish attitude of "rent is dead money" but that's definitely changed in the past few years. I could see myself renting again if the right opportunity came up elsewhere.

I have read some things in the past about not falling into the "trap" of viewing the home you purchase to live in as an investment.
                                                              It doesn't really represent a true investment as you would need to spend money on rent if you didn't own it vs a true investment.

Dublin housing market overpriced by global standards, it doesn't seem like the time to get involved if you have half an eye on investment.
                                                              The Economist suggested Dublin was 25% overpriced in August but I'm sure there's various ways to view it.
                                                              I'm in the very weird situation of paying nearly half what I should be paying in a nice 3 bed Apartment rentwise. I'll actually more than likely be looking at a jump once I've to pay mortgage payments.
                                                              In related news, architect cert was a blatant money grab €250 in and out in 5 mins and sale on FIL house should be proceeding from here.
                                                              Hopefully, all done and dusted for June/July.
                                                              Storage shite they cannot part with for a few months and then hit banks with a 200k reduced terms "what are ya gonna give me" request.
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What's the medium/long-term view? The economy is going to continue to be heavily Dublin based, there's massive constraint on supply, young population, Brexit could shift a bunch of jobs here.

Comment

With the upcoming Brexit deadline tt's good to find out how British MPs feel about soldiers shooting British citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    If you want to invest in property, just get stuck into REITs.

Anyone who punts on buying an individual property is a loon imo.
                                                                    REITs are great for the people running them! Looking at daft I could pay off a place in 10 years for what I'm currently paying for rent. Would be a bit removed from where I am though

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      What's the medium/long-term view? The economy is going to continue to be heavily Dublin based, there's massive constraint on supply, young population, Brexit could shift a bunch of jobs here.
                                                                      No idea LT approx 5% growth projected for 2019. In terms of Dublin being the continued, obviously no doubts but I've started to see a number of more analytical higher paying jobs pop up in areas which are aren't exactly financial/tech hubs.

Very anecdotally but off the top of my head First Data & DMS Governance in Tipp, Carne in Kilkenny have all increased the numher of roles in the past 12 months plus a few more analytical roles have popped in established firms so perhaps there will be some further moves by others

Comment

Have you tried getting hit by a car? Perhaps a plane in your line of work.
                                                                        Yeah it's pretty unreasonable for most people, maybe an apartment is possible but they have shite build quality and designs here. Don't know what the new builds are like.

Comment

Comment

Anyone got an acestream for the UTD game?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                              Go to reddit. Search football connection. Select PSG v United. You're welcome

But I know you guys hate searching so here you go

548aa81a1aaa4b11cd517b9ff6ff012c19e935fc

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                No but buffstreamz usually delivers on a regular stream. Not sure URL but you'll get it googling it
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

We are about to get our second cash back mortgage in 3 years, it is a great incentive. The commentary doing the rounds advising people to stay away from those offers makes me laugh, I would think any switcher who is motivated enough to switch and avail of the offer is hardly likely to then go on to leave their mortgage at a market high rate for the next 30 years.
                                                                                  I encouraged herself's step dad to get involved in the bank switching lark here (UK) about 2.5 years ago as the incentives were hilariously good (£100/£150 to swtich).

He (retired, late 60s) was worried about it being difficult. I assumed he'd do it once under some coaxing/pressure from me, but when I was in Edinburgh last Christmas he revealed that he'd exhausted all of the UK bank's switching offers at that stage and had to wait another 6 months before he could go back to the first in a circular fashion to start all over again.

If you are an 'easy switcher' (which everyone should be) then you should be on the move as often as you can picking up all benefits you can.

Inertia costs money.

Comment

...

Comment

Does anyone here get triggered by/enjoy ASMR? I just came across it a few weeks ago and find it fascinating.

Videos of people speaking softly and tapping glass get millions of views. But why? It’s all thanks to something called Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        Does anyone here get triggered by/enjoy ASMR? I just came across it a few weeks ago and find it fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLql2qMiaI
                                                                                        I've felt those tingles as long as I can remember but never looked into it, knew what caused it or that it even had a name. Definitely the whispering would trigger it but the sound of eating will have me hitting mute quickly.
                                                                                        Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 06-03-19, 21:12.

Comment

Can't remember such unanimous opposition to a Kayroo argument ever.

The new Jack?

Comment

I'd say long-term we could be looking at the population doubling in size. Most city houses will end being bought for their land at outrageous sums and apartments built. The key scarcity will be land. E.g. Bayside should be raized and 50,000 apartments built there.
                                                                                            Guaranteed never happening outside of extreme dictatorship mode.

Comment

...

Comment

One time

Comment

Lol

Comment

Woah.

CL really delivers on these kind of nights.

Comment

WP Mike Bullocks.

I never doubted ya.

Comment

Name change for Solks

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLql2qMiaI
                                                                                                          Yeah I love it, especially if the girl is hot. Definitely gives me some form of frisson.

Really good when you're falling asleep too, Gibi is quite good. Needless to say you need some good directional sound.

Helllooo everybody!! This microphone touching video is pretty intense in terms of the bass-y sounds that interacting with the foam cover produces, so it migh...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                            Solskjaer, now go home and and get your fucking shine box. (not you Willie)
                                                                                                            You fuck off home and get your own fucking shine box.

Comment

That is a penalty, right?

Pretty stupid to be turning your back like that anyway. VAR works imo, although the way they do it is lolbad (run off to a little telly, wtf?)

Comment

A theft any scouser would be proud of.
                                                                                                                PENOPORN .

Yeah name change:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                  You fuck off home and get your own fucking shine box.
                                                                                                                  You saved that for 3 weeks just in case?

Comment

Souness looks absolutely sick. Lol.

Get the fuck in

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      That is a penalty, right?

Pretty stupid to be turning your back like that anyway. VAR works imo, although the way they do it is lolbad (run off to a little telly, wtf?)
                                                                                                                      Stone wall. Very silly.

Yep, its terrible the way they do it but it's only the first season of it so very much a work in progress

Comment

I done a bungee jump . Walked unarmed in Darndale but chickened out when the peno was taken. Listened for cheers.

Treble still on .

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                          You saved that for 3 weeks just in case?
                                                                                                                          Jesus no, I only thought of it when we were 2-1 up, no idea why it popped into my head, as haven't given it a seconds thought since I read it three weeks ago

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X