Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
    [/B]

Surprised such standard country lyrics evoked such a reaction tbh. The rest of your post is fair enough
    I view them much more in an urban setting

Comment

Thanks, Lao Lao. I meant to jump in on several occasions to make the same point.

revisionartemas does not own the song and/or picture and/or video. No copyright infringement intended. For entertainment use only.Artist:Jarvis CockerAlbum:J...

Opr

Comment

RTE showing Ireland's women world cup quarter final V India on Thursday evening.
        Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 31-07-18, 22:01. Reason: India goddammit

Comment

Documentary 'Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind' is worth a watch.

Opr

Comment

Hypothetically speaking, if one was debating buying a place in Dublin, would it be best to do it in 3/12/36 months? Interested to read the views on the potential brexit effect on London prices and wondering how people think it might influence Dublin. I see that prices here are basically flat over the last 4 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
              The voice of that narrator in the Shergar thing on RTE One now is pretty annoying. Some mad nose on "Ireland's premier horse racing author", Guy someone or other too.
              I wasn't sure whether she was the most condescending narrator ever or it was her accent.

It's a story thats been done to death in that format but at the start of this program it was obvious it was going to focus on Stan Cosgrave - a man who would never speak of Shergar, according to the script - who was obviously going to release some new information seemingly.

I rang someone I know who knows Stan very well to make sure was he watching. I am says he, and I hope he doesn't fucking mention me.

Also, Tommo's cameo

Haven't see this trailer posted, "if I kill a man they call it muuurder, if they do it they call it war".

BLACK 47 is now available to Watch At Home. See www.wildcarddistribution.com for details #Black47 #Black47FilmBLACK 47 is an action film set during the Grea...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  people in the media crying about PTSB selling off a delinquent loan book of 10,500 mortgages. 7,000 are owner/occupied. The average length of arrears in the loan book is 3.5 years. I'd imagine it would be hard to get a more toxic collection of loans. The bank should be rid of them and the people holding the loans are not capable of servicing them or are taking the piss. We need a properly functioning system that would have seen these houses sold 2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                    Europe will increase cap to make sure that the bill for Ireland regarding Brexit is kept to a minimum. Interconector will be approved and funded to the continent. Some sort of tax break for freight shipping to move all the goods.

In terms of optics they will want to see the uk crumble and the eu countries continue as if nothing happened in the short term. In the medium term the uk will have signed to return everything to the way it currently is but having paid a lot for it.

Brexit is national politics where you just have to make promises but it’s a big jump to the international political stage where they are finding out nobody wants to help fulfill them.
                    The EU working in the background to assist ireland would suggest to me there will be some prime money making opportunities around he border counties in the next few years
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                      I wasn't sure whether she was the most condescending narrator ever or it was her accent.

It's a story thats been done to death in that format but at the start of this program it was obvious it was going to focus on Stan Cosgrave - a man who would never speak of Shergar, according to the script - who was obviously going to release some new information seemingly.

I rang someone I know who knows Stan very well to make sure was he watching. I am says he, and I hope he doesn't fucking mention me.
                      I didn't watch it but I hope there was something more fanciful than it was the 'ra suggested.
                      That one never sat squarely with me.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Seeing a lot of articles about giving NI back to the Irish and NI needing to prepare for the possibility of a united Ireland

Not seeing any articles explaining to the North or the Brits that if the Republic had a vote it would probably be a no thanks & the longer they wait the more likely the no will be

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          The EU working in the background to assist ireland would suggest to me there will be some prime money making opportunities around he border counties in the next few years
                          It’s a massive presumption on my part with no evidence or any type of statistics. Seems like pacifying a few farmers in Ireland is a relatively small cost to turn the screw on the uk and make sure to highlight the folly so nobody else leaves.

The global trade savings of negotating as a block is worth so much to Germany, France and all the other major economy’s that a small cost to keep it together rather than the amount you loose coming from a weaker position globally must have a huge gap.

Bit of a leap to get to the EU laying out cash but hopefully we are using this crisis to leverage some relief on the debt burden - doubt it tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                            Seeing a lot of articles about giving NI back to the Irish and NI needing to prepare for the possibility of a united Ireland

Not seeing any articles explaining to the North or the Brits that if the Republic had a vote it would probably be a no thanks & the longer they wait the more likely the no will be
                            I really, really doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

I’d vote yes, some reasons off the top of me head.

1. Europe will pay

2. It will piss off Rory mc

3. Robert Emmets Epitaph can be written

4. Georgie Best can play for us

5. The Ommmpa Looompa marchers will be gulping back their own spit

6. It will be nice to be just Ireland right before the weather kills us all off anyway

7. We can have Paisley Junior and the Healy Raes in the same building every week for great LOLS

8. We can knock down the Giants causeway and build some badly needed houses

9. We can finally be ruled by Rome as is our ultimate dream.

10. It will be a United Ireland so it will, so it is , so’s yer face.

Comment

only 10 days left for entry in the IPB FPL people.

I feel sorry for anybody who misses it, would be almost like having the winning lotto ticket and then putting it through the wash in your favourite jeans

which shrank because you had it on the wrong setting

and turned a shade of salmon pink because you forgot to take out the unmentionables first

still, worse things happen at sea...
                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I’d vote yes, some reasons off the top of me head.

7. We can have Paisley Junior and the Healy Raes in the same building every week for great LOLS
                                  One bunch of creationist fucktards is enough without inviting people in who actually believe in that shit

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    I really, really doubt that.
                                    I'd vote no if it was held today, but you are probably right in that it would be passed, probably at least 60-40.

Comment

Adding those folk to the electorate would be a good way to slow down all the social progress we're currently making.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        Adding those folk to the electorate would be a good way to slow down all the social progress we're currently making.
                                        Example ?

Comment

Example ?
                                          They won't let gay people get diabetes like the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                            people in the media crying about PTSB selling off a delinquent loan book of 10,500 mortgages. 7,000 are owner/occupied. The average length of arrears in the loan book is 3.5 years. I'd imagine it would be hard to get a more toxic collection of loans. The bank should be rid of them and the people holding the loans are not capable of servicing them or are taking the piss. We need a properly functioning system that would have seen these houses sold 2 years ago.
                                            The great unspoken truth is that our mortgage arrears crisis and our rental sector crisis are the same thing. We have a generation of people who can afford mortgages but can't buy a house so their higher affordability levels drive up rents. Conversely we have a generation who can't afford to pay their mortgages but won't face the normal consequence of that situation.

It's a perverse cycle. Distressed mortgagors can't get rental accommodation because the prices are too high, driven by renters with higher incomes (generally - not always) who can't get a mortgage because there is a lack of sufficient housing stock.

That in turn drives up interest rates to offset the insane risk profile of Irish loan books which, in turn, makes mortgages less affordable.
                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Gotta feel for those poor Bankers. Only half a bil profit in six months.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                ... it was going to focus on Stan Cosgrave
                                                Also, Tommo's cameo
                                                Now there are a pair of legends

Tommos bit is an all time classic

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                I didn't watch it but I hope there was something more fanciful than it was the 'ra suggested.
                                                That one never sat squarely with me.
                                                It was them 100%, sanctioned or not. You have to understand that in the main, particularly in the Republic, they were nothing more than a loose coalition of criminal gangs who had license to operate under the political flag SF were waving for them. These were just a bunch of assclowns but IRA assclowns nonetheless.
                                                Saw the doc a few months ago and I'd say that O'Callaghans story is as close as you are going to get to the truth.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

No point in even considering a vote to incorporate the 6 counties until a clear majority of the British people in them vote for it >60% or forget about it IMO

Give them a couple of years of Brexit and that might not be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                    Or you could look at it as a way of speeding up social progress there.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                      Or you could look at it as a way of speeding up social progress there.
                                                      Trump colluders are only concerned with building walls and demonising people across the border

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Trump colluders are only concerned with building walls and demonising people across the border
                                                        We need jack back to give his views on this

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                          We need jack back to give his views on this
                                                          He probably self-defenestrated after Amnesty International were vindicated about the George Soros donation in court during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                            The great unspoken truth is that our mortgage arrears crisis and our rental sector crisis are the same thing. We have a generation of people who can afford mortgages but can't buy a house so their higher affordability levels drive up rents. Conversely we have a generation who can't afford to pay their mortgages but won't face the normal consequence of that situation.

It's a perverse cycle. Distressed mortgagors can't get rental accommodation because the prices are too high, driven by renters with higher incomes (generally - not always) who can't get a mortgage because there is a lack of sufficient housing stock.

That in turn drives up interest rates to offset the insane risk profile of Irish loan books which, in turn, makes mortgages less affordable.
                                                            Not to rain on your enjoyable polemical parade but both the risk profile of Irish banks and the SVRs they charge have both come down sharply in the last few years.
                                                            The latter admittedly mainly through political pressure from first Noonan and then O'Donohue.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd imagine the risk profile of Irish Banks has as much to do with the cowboy practices that went on, from a regulatory and management perspective, as it that to do with the risk profile of residential mortgage holders. The corporate risk weight is higher than residential for probably similar reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                I'd imagine the risk profile of Irish Banks has as much to do with the cowboy practices that went on, from a regulatory and management perspective, as it that to do with the risk profile of residential mortgage holders. The corporate risk weight is higher than residential for probably similar reasons.
                                                                Most of the corporate crud got managed out via NAMA.

Comment

These are some rather fancy libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    Not to rain on your enjoyable polemical parade but both the risk profile of Irish banks and the SVRs they charge have both come down sharply in the last few years.
                                                                    The latter admittedly mainly through political pressure from first Noonan and then O'Donohue.
                                                                    Fine. Entirely ignore the last paragraph. I’ve no problem with that (seriously).

The rest holds up fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                      Fine. Entirely ignore the last paragraph. I’ve no problem with that (seriously).

The rest holds up fine.
                                                                      It doesn't really. You speak airily of 'generations' but these are swingeing generalisations and not correct in fact.

Most people, of all generations, are doing fine. You have demonstrated an extremely common logical fallacy - arguing from the specific to the general.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        It doesn't really. You speak airily of 'generations' but these are swingeing generalisations and not correct in fact.

Most people, of all generations, are doing fine. You have demonstrated an extremely common logical fallacy - arguing from the specific to the general.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed.
                                                                        Ha, ok that’s absolutely fair. My post is more properly reduced to specific groups and the problem is both larger and more complex than I make out.

My central thesis, that the mortgage arrears and rental crises are linked - as are their solutions - I believe is fundamentally correct though.

Comment

Having some craic with the plane. After dropping it mid Feb for maintenance I finally get a list of required parts in mid May. Parts arrived mid June with the wrong paperwork. I locate some paperwork and send it late June and suggest a workaround to the engineer. After numerous calls, texts, and emails and he finally gets back early July saying he can't use the workaround.
                                                                          I reply saying the only option then is to send them back to the US and get them re-issued. Silence. Few more calls, texts, emails...silence. 3 weeks since I've heard a thing. Not sure if its time to get angry, as he kind of has me snookered by having my plane in bits in his hangar, and he's the one writing the invoice.

Comment

Arsenal v Chelsea in the Aviva has gotten off to a lively start. 15 mins gone and Chelsea are 1-0 up and have missed a peno. Both sides have relatively strong lineups.

Watching on ESPN2, but also on Setanta on some other random stations!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                              Arsenal v Chelsea in the Aviva has gotten off to a lively start. 15 mins gone and Chelsea are 1-0 up and have missed a peno. Both sides have relatively strong lineups.

Looking like typical Arsenal. Passing and possession with no end product. Vulnerable to the counterattack.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                Looking like typical Arsenal. Passing and possession with no end product. Vulnerable to the counterattack.
                                                                                Yeah for sure. I like some of the overlapping play but Bellerin and Kolasenic really need to learn how to cross a ball! Emile Smith Rowe has had a decent pre-season and looks like he could develop into a great little player. Still not really sure how we look so open at the back playing 2 defensive mids infront of the backline.

Comment

Going by the conversation this morning on PTSB and mortages, you would be nearly mad to keep paying...

Borrow 200k over 25 years, you end up paying back around 300.

The bank has sold these for 35c in the €. The new bank will settle for 50/60c to clear the loan.

I am sure there are lots of people not paying purely for this reason alone.
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a plumber in and replace six or eight old style radiator valves with TRVs?

Comment

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a plumber in and replace six or eight old style radiator valves with TRVs?
                                                                                      plumberpoker will be along any minute to answer your query. Please hold the line.....

Comment

Are u in Dublin or country
                                                                                        Prices differ I'd say between 150 to 200 might b a rough estimate
                                                                                        Lads are getting fancy prices at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Gone to pelanties, as Chris Waddle would say

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                                            Are u in Dublin or country
                                                                                            Prices differ I'd say between 150 to 200 might b a rough estimate
                                                                                            Lads are getting fancy prices at the moment
                                                                                            Down in Limerick these days. That sort of price would be fairly alright if I can manage to find someone!

Comment

Down in Limerick these days. That sort of price would be fairly alright if I can manage to find someone!
                                                                                              Per rad...

If supplying the valves, draining and refilling the system i would guess €60/rad.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I am not sure how it works just for Rads, but SEAI have a grant available.

Its something i need to get done myself.
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                  I am not sure how it works just for Rads, but SEAI have a grant available.

Its something i need to get done myself.
                                                                                                  Installation of TRVs listed here:

Comment

House popped up 5 mins from my home home on daft.ie @ 380k. Couldn't afford that even with a serious deposit as a UK buyer needs 40% deposit and > €150k p/a to get involved.

Folks' went to see it the other week, it's a fucking wreck. Needs ~100k of work. We had a chat, potential for it to be an investment property between the two of us.

We decide it makes sense to go to make an offer at ~€395k, get laughed out as current offer @ €440k.

House now @ €495k.

FFS, will I ever get home?!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                      House popped up 5 mins from my home home on daft.ie @ 380k. Couldn't afford that even with a serious deposit as a UK buyer needs 40% deposit and > €150k p/a to get involved.

Folks' went to see it the other week, it's a fucking wreck. Needs ~100k of work. We had a chat, potential for it to be an investment property between the two of us.

We decide it makes sense to go to make an offer at ~€395k, get laughed out as current offer @ €440k.

House now @ €495k.

FFS, will I ever get home?!
                                                                                                      Depends how flexible you are on location. 5 mins from Gick is not flexible

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                        Depends how flexible you are on location. 5 mins from Gick is not flexible
                                                                                                        My home home isn't that close to the Country's #1 School! I have the ability to say I'm from Kimmage, Harolds Cross or Crumlin, depending on what accent I can hear I'm talking to.

Comment

Comment

Ha, that's cool - pity there's not more of those doppelganger photos

Comment

Picnic at Hanging Rock . It's great. The wimmin have me mesmorised

Comment

Good resources for learning about investing? Gotta get my money out of bank accounts and I'm sure there is a better thing to do that stick into random free ETFs on degiro which is my current plan. Speaking of which, they still don't do US ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                  Good resources for learning about investing? Gotta get my money out of bank accounts and I'm sure there is a better thing to do that stick into random free ETFs on degiro which is my current plan. Speaking of which, they still don't do US ones?
                                                                                                                  This is probably a good place to start:

If you are wondering whether to dive in, give a couple posts a quick read. You’ll capture the blog’s essence. If after reading those The Stock Series is appealing, you will very likely enjoy it all. If by the same token your reaction is, “This doesn’t feel right for me,” it very likely isn’t. Stock Series:... [Continue Reading]

He has a book out but it's the same content by and large I'd say.

Comment

Incidentally, we had a financial advisor from this place in to us in work for the last few weeks doing workshops and 1-on-1 sessions who made a point that the 8 year deemed disposal for EU funds might not be as bad as I had been making out because 8 years of growth on the whole pie before paying tax could work out well compared to (year 1 growth minus tax + year 2 growth - tax + year 3 growth - minus tax +....).

I haven't bothered to do the calculation as I'm too busto to restart investing again at the minute, obviously the higher tax rate on the EU funds comes into play as well.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 02-08-18, 11:22.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X