This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*** New Tournament Poker Theory and Strategy forum ***

We're gonna try out a new dedicated forum for Tournament Poker, post tournament hands for feedback, seek general Tournament strategy questions or any Tournament advice or questions you might have.

Charter etc. will be done up later. If the forum doesn't work or people prefer to just post these kinds of questions in the Hold 'Em/ PLO forum then that's fine and we can get rid of this forum.
    Last edited by Ste05; 11-07-10, 15:57.

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
    If the forum doesn't work or people prefer to just post these kinds of questions in the Hold 'Em/ PLO forum then that's fine and we can get rid of this forum.
    gl with revamp but I would think leave as is but divide hands into cash or tournies in thread title. theory section gets so little posts that if you divide it up it may get even less (although it might also become more focussed)

there does need to be a differentiation between cash and tournaments. i play very little cash and can never really give proper advice on the hands posted, nor do I understand the stats which inform online cash hands. similarly, lads who play cash very well have too little regard for the dynamics of a tournament which may require a fold where in cash it would always be call.

so I always find it disappointing when I click on a thread that says 'tough spot with Queens' or something only to find its from a 1 cent 2 cent on line game with $8 at stake and the villain is 24/5/7 pfif over 80 hands or some such

maybe require every thread to state at the start whether its a tounrnament or cash and the levels involved?

i.e.:
    "Online MTT - jacks in the SB"
    "Live cash - tricky spot with aces"
    "1/2 NL Online - AK sooted in EP"

?

Comment

Good stuff! About time too imo
      It's all an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
        Good stuff! About time too imo
        Now you get posting, if not, we might have to make you the mod of this forum1!

Comment

What's the chances of putting a ban on 'one line answers' in all section of the theory section? Tilts me slightly that people only give a one line answer when whoever is posting a hand or tricky situation is looking for advice. Like what use is it telling someone to 'fold', 'call' or 'raise'? Or is it the norm for a theory section?

I read it around here recently that the theory forum is no good(think it was in the public study group thread). I strongly disagree with this, since my game has improved massively as a direct result of the theory forums, but I just can't understand how people can give one word/sentence answers and think that it is fine to do so.

Maybe I'm on my own with this but I feel if you are going to give a response to someone that it shouldn't be too hard to put together a few sentences/paragraphs on something which you obv know about if you can post in the first place. Anyway, I just wanted to get that thought out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
            What's the chances of putting a ban on 'one line answers' in all section of the theory section? Tilts me slightly that people only give a one line answer when whoever is posting a hand or tricky situation is looking for advice. Like what use is it telling someone to 'fold', 'call' or 'raise'? Or is it the norm for a theory section?

I read it around here recently that the theory forum is no good(think it was in the public study group thread). I strongly disagree with this, since my game has improved massively as a direct result of the theory forums, but I just can't understand how people can give one word/sentence answers and think that it is fine to do so.

Maybe I'm on my own with this but I feel if you are going to give a response to someone that it shouldn't be too hard to put together a few sentences/paragraphs on something which you obv know about if you can post in the first place. Anyway, I just wanted to get that thought out there.
            I don't agree.......
            twitter
            moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
              I don't agree.......
              ban...
              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                I don't agree.......
                Originally posted by the aul switcharoo View Post
                ban...
                Lol. I prob should have just posted it in the BBV as a bad bead but w/e. Chris you could have saved yourself a word there and said,'I disagree'.

I'm surprised, tbh, that this wouldn't bug anyone else but I guess it's just me being contrary! We don't waste ink or have a need to save the rain forests so write as much as you can imo.

Comment

I read it around here recently that the theory forum is no good
                  its no good in the sense that there are fuck all posts in it, which is a pity, like you I've learned a lot from some posts though. i've no 'live' mates who are sufficiently interested / knowledgeable to get anything out of talking hands to them. tbh I'm only interested in a forum like this to discuss hands, hear about upcoming games or whatever is live in the poker world. the BBV means nothing to me since I don't know any of the people on it but I think its the heart of the site for most posters.

as per the one line answers it is annoying but sometimes hands are so blindingly obvious that that's the natural reaction. all i can suggest is that you put down specific things you're looking for a response on, and number them. i still think you'll get mostly one liners anyway.

incidently how is the study group going, i never got the password. any MTT hands being discussed?

Comment

Nice Idea.

I like the idea of mtt strat threads as they can be a gold mine of info both in tips and also in the mind set of other players. My main problem is that i cant describe how i play.
                    There is definitely a right way and wrong way to approach an mtt but in the latter stages the "grey" areas are so large that most theory goes out the window and you find your self relying on plain gut instinct that only comes with experience. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by 8611 View Post
                      gl with revamp but I would think leave as is but divide hands into cash or tournies in thread title. theory section gets so little posts that if you divide it up it may get even less (although it might also become more focussed)

there does need to be a differentiation between cash and tournaments. i play very little cash and can never really give proper advice on the hands posted, nor do I understand the stats which inform online cash hands. similarly, lads who play cash very well have too little regard for the dynamics of a tournament which may require a fold where in cash it would always be call.

so I always find it disappointing when I click on a thread that says 'tough spot with Queens' or something only to find its from a 1 cent 2 cent on line game with $8 at stake and the villain is 24/5/7 pfif over 80 hands or some such

maybe require every thread to state at the start whether its a tounrnament or cash and the levels involved?

i.e.:
                      "Online MTT - jacks in the SB"
                      "Live cash - tricky spot with aces"
                      "1/2 NL Online - AK sooted in EP"

?
                      We are a poker forum..why do you need to bring stakes into it? Just because someone is playing .01/.02 doesn't mean they are not trying to improve and by posting they obv want advice..the stakes should be irrelevant imo
                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                        We are a poker forum..why do you need to bring stakes into it? Just because someone is playing .01/.02 doesn't mean they are not trying to improve and by posting they obv want advice..the stakes should be irrelevant imo
                        Totally agree, the stakes that payers play has nothing to do with it, i am playing poker with about 7 or 8 years both cash and tournaments and have had more success at tournaments to be honest, but recently i have started back at playing cash online after a long break from it and have started at .10/.20 level to try and build a br with out digging to deep into my pockets, so what stakes players are playing is irrelevant.

Comment

Is there a way of moving the Tournament Poker section location and swapping it with the Holdem section? I think if Tourney Poker is at the top of the list then it will stop people from posting tourney spots in the Holdem section and save whoever is modding it some time. I might be wrong ofc but I presume new posters just read holdem since it's first on the list and click in there to post without seeing the tourney section.

Just a thought.

Comment

It can be done easily, but should it? I know there will be people who are annoyed at things not being exactly where they were before, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                              It can be done easily, but should it? I know there will be people who are annoyed at things not being exactly where they were before, for example.
                              I guess if the complaints flood in then it could easily be changed back but I doubt they would since it's only going to keep everything in order or in better order maybe. And it's not going to be a big change, holdem will only be a couple of spaces away from where it was, same a tournament poker, so people who regularly post won't have any trouble finding. I'm not sure though obv.

Comment

hey how do u get the hand history lik they have? i waht to put up some hands and spots but dont wana ttype it all out and dont wana buy sum software

Comment

Originally posted by sammyr7 View Post
                                  hey how do u get the hand history lik they have? i waht to put up some hands and spots but dont wana ttype it all out and dont wana buy sum software

Hi Spammy, know nead too by softwear, jsut clik teh linc bolew

Comment

Is there a way of moving the Tournament Poker section location and swapping it with the Holdem section? I think if Tourney Poker is at the top of the list then it will stop people from posting tourney spots in the Holdem section and save whoever is modding it some time. I might be wrong ofc but I presume new posters just read holdem since it's first on the list and click in there to post without seeing the tourney section.

Just a thought.
                                    Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                    I guess if the complaints flood in then it could easily be changed back but I doubt they would since it's only going to keep everything in order or in better order maybe. And it's not going to be a big change, holdem will only be a couple of spaces away from where it was, same a tournament poker, so people who regularly post won't have any trouble finding. I'm not sure though obv.
                                    Bump.

Since there's been no objections, any chance of giving it a whirl and see if it makes a difference?

Comment

Working...
                                    X