No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont like base layers myself. I usually wear some kind of soccer/gaa jersey, a hoodie/jumper and a light windbrealer over that so it keeps everything compact. My favourite piece of kit in the cold or rain is my woolly hat.

Doing a quick 2 minute warm up before hand I find helps too. Just some jogging on the spot, stretch quads, calves and hamstrings, all while moving. 90 seconds to 2 minutes is plenty. Gets the blood flowing and should stay warm on the run then.

Fair fucks, 10k is a fair whack. Haven't gone over 6k myself.

Comment

Don't bother with more than a t-shirt and light jacket maybe for rain. I mean you surely warm up when HR gets up. More motivation not to stop
      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Hmm. I've been using a base layer top (cheap yoke - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a jersey or similar over it on top.

I'm fairly ok but around the mid-section gets uncomfortably cold when the temperature is down around 4C. I haven't try wearing a hoodie or a jacket on top again, I was just thinking I could do with a better quality underlayer but I might try one of my cycling rain jackets the next time and see if the extra outer layer does the trick.

Comment

Same as you, I'd typically wear a base layer like that and then a running top over it if it's really cold. Wouldn't ever wear a wind breaker or any kind of jacket, would get far too sweaty and hot later in a run wearing those. Also will wear running leggings under a pair of running shorts when cold, looks a bit stupid but no apologies!

Comment

Wind breakers is what froze ya. Don't condensate in the cold. I wore a hoodie tonight and tracksuit bottoms . Dressed like an Anto . Was warm though . Crispy evening . 10k nice one . Mentally hard with a Injury doubt . WP

Comment

I used to be against windbreakers even for cycling because of the sweating up problem but I now have a very light asics one that is reasonably waterproof and very well against cold and rain and never gets sweaty. It helps if you get one a size or two bigger than you need it to be. Its not one of the really expensive ones either, picked it up in their Kildare Village shop for about 40 and tend to use it all the time now.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Decathlon are great for base layer tops if you're ever near one. My parents bring me stuff home from Spain all the time.

My winter getup is skin tight base layer with the thumb holes, warm top, again with thumb holes, gloves, snood and wooly hat. Always wear shorts though, no matter how cold. Legs never feel it.

Ran this morning at 6am, moonlit icy roads. Heaven.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  Decathlon are great for base layer tops if you're ever near one. My parents bring me stuff home from Spain all the time.
                  We'll all be near one from next March when they finally open their long promised Irish store in Ballymun.

Comment

Yep. Am really looking forward to that. Fantastic store.

Comment

A tip if you're in there looking for winter gear for running, go to the mountaineering section. Got a really excellent snood thing there, wear it everytime I run in cold weather. Lovely warm wooly neck bit and a skin tight fabric bit that you can pull up as far as a ski mask. Think it was €7 or something.

Comment

Jesus lads. I think a few of ye need to order bottles of harden the fuck up

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                          I always say the only reason I cycle is so I can buy the gear

Comment

Come back to me when you've ran 10 miles in a blizzard in shorts

Comment

In the 80s we had to run bare footed over jagged rocks being chased by horny priests and if we were lucky we got home with just some broken toes if we were unlucky we couldn't walk home until the feeling got back into our torn arses.. Try to tell that to the kids these days and they wont believe you

Comment

Come back to me when you've ran 10 miles in a blizzard in shorts
                                My first ultra race was in Feb in Vancouver, fully snowing. I've never worn anything bar shorts & long tee running and this was a slippy trail. Fun but took a few hours to feel my body again

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                  My first ultra race was in Feb in Vancouver, fully snowing. I've never worn anything bar shorts & long tee running and this was a slippy trail. Fun but took a few hours to feel my body again
                                  ULTRA running ? GFYFM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    One thing I do find difficult in this cold is the breathing. I hate the cold air in the lungs, it’s tres annoying and mentally irritates
                                    Must say I find the opposite, when it’s warm I’m all dried out and panting, whereas the cold just gets chapped lips but the lungs love it!

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    I did my 10k tonight anyway, the knee felt fine until about 1500m to go. I think it seems to flare up and ease off with increasing and decreasing speed - so another underlining of the need to go nice and slow.

Knocked a few minutes off my previous (only) time so happy enough.

I'm was fucking perished though, upper body particularly. Can anyone recommend a base layer they are happy enough with in these kind of conditions, or general advice about dressing for the elements this time of year? I'd like to feel less dependent on the weather if there's gear options that might be of help.
                                    I’d always go skin tight Nike base layer short sleeve one, with a long sleeve light soccer style training jersey I have. Or else hoody and T-shirt, too many layers and I’m roasting after a couple km. I can’t wear a hat more than 3km either.

Feel like I’m plateauing around 23mins at the moment, did 23.03 and 23.09 yesterday and today so I’m going to burst out tomorrow and see what happens...! I still can’t believe I did a 21.12 only 10months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                      Must say I find the opposite, when it’s warm I’m all dried out and panting, whereas the cold just gets chapped lips but the lungs love it!

I’d always go skin tight Nike base layer short sleeve one, with a long sleeve light soccer style training jersey I have. Or else hoody and T-shirt, too many layers and I’m roasting after a couple km. I can’t wear a hat more than 3km either.

Feel like I’m plateauing around 23mins at the moment, did 23.03 and 23.09 yesterday and today so I’m going to burst out tomorrow and see what happens...! I still can’t believe I did a 21.12 only 10months ago.
                                      22.05... think I just need to do more max work, seems I’ve been coasting.

Comment

100km this month . I bet ye do that in a week. I was running like Dr Evil tonight

Comment

Did the Clontarf half in 2:18 today.

Felt a lot slower so was happy to break 2:20 with a shoulder that needs physio and generally unhappy running disposition (heavy legged, blustery wind, general feeling of fatigue/ennui)

Got my total for the year up to 900Km though so if all stays good i should manage the last 100km in Dec.

Comment

Did 6k earlier and slogged the last k. As I finished I was wondering how far I'd be behind myself from when I was superfit. FML

Comment

All set for the Waterford AC half in the morning Strewelpeter? It's going to be a slog for me. 3 weeks in NY/All inclusive poker gig in Bahamas took its toll so won't be near any PB but looking forward to the hat.

Anyone else lurking for it?

Comment

Signed up for the Squamish 50 mile in August 2020. Not quite sure why, of all the options, I had to go for this fucker:

Between the relatively flat first six miles and final mile, you’ll find over 3350 m /11,000 ft of climbing jammed into the remaining 43 miles of terrain. Your largest individual climb is 760 m / 2500 ft. This is an exceptionally difficult course made tougher still by the technical nature of a majority of the terrain. Throw in the fact that the back half runs much more difficult than the front half and you have yourself a nice little day of suffering. Thankfully we’ve made every effort to distract you with incredible scenery at every possible turn.

Comment

Shiny new pb at Jingle Bells 5k this morn.

19:51.

Delighted with meself.

Good luck in the half today lads.

Comment

Shiny new pb at Jingle Bells 5k this morn.

19:51.

Delighted with meself.

Good luck in the half today lads.
                                                    Well done Conor - great time!

Parkrun #157 for me this morning, at the old reliable Marlay Park. Still slowly recovering from my achilles problems of earlier in the year. Last week ran in Avondale Forest parkrun in deepest darkest Wicklow, it was pure cross country course after 24 hours of rain, mucky forest trails which were extremely slippy, almost ended up on my arse many times! Think I'm now up to 31 different parkrun locations ran, 100 is the target so a long way to go.

Comment

All set for the Waterford AC half in the morning Strewelpeter? It's going to be a slog for me. 3 weeks in NY/All inclusive poker gig in Bahamas took its toll so won't be near any PB but looking forward to the hat.

Anyone else lurking for it?
                                                      Was watching out but never saw a bit of you.

The change to the course was grand until we hit that insanely cruel climb at 19K

Other than that it went fairly well, I got a bit of a bang and a cut on one of my calves about ten days ago and the physio wasn't able to do much about it and both calves got very tight at about 10K but that stopped me pushing any harder which I might have otherwise as other than them I was feeling fairly good in myself. Weather was perfect and a low level head cold that I'd been fighting off all week just disappeared for the morning.
                                                      I'm happy to have got around in 2:27 a half an hour outside my best, the other two lads I was with were just either side of the 2:00 balloon but I'm carrying 12Kg more than I did when I was

Some crowd and such a well organised event 10/10 to all involved.
                                                      I think the route changes caused a bit of mayhem with the traffic, I really enjoyed jogging up that long hill passing all the traffic that was being held up and laughing at all the thickos who had ignored the signs and got stuck behind us

All about the hat
                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 07-12-19, 16:19.

Comment

Here's a great Longreads reading list about running.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          Was watching out but never saw a bit of you.

The change to the course was grand until we hit that insanely cruel climb at 19K

Other than that it went fairly well, I got a bit of a bang and a cut on one of my calves about ten days ago and the physio wasn't able to do much about it and both calves got very tight at about 10K but that stopped me pushing any harder which I might have otherwise as other than them I was feeling fairly good in myself. Weather was perfect and a low level head cold that I'd been fighting off all week just disappeared for the morning.
                                                          I'm happy to have got around in 2:27 a half an hour outside my best, the other two lads I was with were just either side of the 2:00 balloon but I'm carrying 12Kg more than I did when I was

Some crowd and such a well organised event 10/10 to all involved.
                                                          I think the route changes caused a bit of mayhem with the traffic, I really enjoyed jogging up that long hill passing all the traffic that was being held up and laughing at all the thickos who had ignored the signs and got stuck behind us

All about the hat
                                                          I was looking for you too and had no phone on me. Ah well

Finished it in 1.57. Basically took it as a training run. Didn't want to risk not finishing by trying to keep the pace up. Done 18 miles total since Dublin so it was nice to get out again. Legs aren't too bad either and I'll prob get out Tuesday for a run. Glad to be back in action tbh. Holidays/poker are a killer for turning into a lazy git

That was a doozy of a hill alright. The legs were pumping on that one! Nice downhill finish though so could get an auld sprint for the crowds 😂

Couple of nice blaas and a feed of pints after were nice too🍺🍺

Comment

22.05... think I just need to do more max work, seems I’ve been coasting.
                                                            Came in at 21.13 today, my PB is 21.12... my first km was 42 seconds slower than that PB so much better pace for the remaining 4km. 4:23 was the slowest km, and definitely feel more comfortable around the 4:10 pace now, so a 20-handle should be possible I hope.

Sucks that after 10 months of running, I’m still one second slower than January, so I’ll have to go nuts in December to beat it.

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                            Did the Clontarf half in 2:18 today.

Felt a lot slower so was happy to break 2:20 with a shoulder that needs physio and generally unhappy running disposition (heavy legged, blustery wind, general feeling of fatigue/ennui)

Got my total for the year up to 900Km though so if all stays good i should manage the last 100km in Dec.
                                                            That’s great going for the year, fair play! I’m about 68km short of 500km which was one of my targets so I’ll have to give that a go I think.

Comment

Running is one of the most basic and natural forms of human movement but while almost all of us can run, not everyone is doing it well.

Comment

Very interesting...

Comment

The mystery of running continues

Felt like ive made no Progress all year then I run my 5km PB on Monday and knock 51secs off my 10km PB on Sunday despite being out to 1am at work Christmas party on Saturday

Down to 48:55 now.

Comment

Felt like ive made no Progress all year then I run my 5km PB on Monday and knock 51secs off my 10km PB on Sunday despite being out to 1am at work Christmas party on Saturday

Down to 48:55 now.
                                                                    Well done Joe, I'll never hit a PB as it was all done in the 80s. If I get within 5 minutes I'll be laughing.

Comment

Well done Joe, I'll never hit a PB as it was all done in the 80s. If I get within 5 minutes I'll be laughing.
                                                                      Surely you should just target a Decade PB? That’d be kind cool? And you’ve got 12 days before it resets again!

Comment

Down to 48:55 now!
                                                                        I found these calculators handy when I was running multiple distances.
                                                                        I think I got it from Laz or the other place.

Input you "best" time for a distance and it outputs predicted times. Usefully to see how far off you are at longer/shorter distance and what you need to work on, speed/endurance.

MarathonGuide.com - the complete marathon resource and community. Complete directory of marathons, marathon results, athlete and race news, marathon history, training schedules, chat, email, marathoning humor - everything for the marathon runner and marathon fan.

Comment

Surely you should just target a Decade PB? That’d be kind cool? And you’ve got 12 days before it resets again!
                                                                          Great point. The future is forward. The next run, not the last.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                            I found these calculators handy when I was running multiple distances.
                                                                            I think I got it from Laz or the other place.

Input you "best" time for a distance and it outputs predicted times. Usefully to see how far off you are at longer/shorter distance and what you need to work on, speed/endurance.

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitness...redictcalc.cfm
                                                                            Very interesting. My predicted 10km after doing a 21.12 5km is 44.24, so I should target 4mins of improvement there. I think if I ever tried a 10km on flat surfaces I could get closer to it.

My half marathon time was 2:48 and after that I promised myself I’d never do another one but feel now like the improvement would be so great that I should give it a go. I reckon I could knock an hour off it!

Comment

My half marathon time was 2:48 and after that I promised myself I’d never do another one but feel now like the improvement would be so great that I should give it a go. I reckon I could knock an hour off it!
                                                                              That shouldn't be a problem to you at all. If you were completing in 2:48 there was something badly wrong on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                That shouldn't be a problem to you at all. If you were completing in 2:48 there was something badly wrong on the day.
                                                                                I had the small matter of running about 60km in 6 weeks prior as my only running experience, to say I trained would be an overstatement of huge proportions. The longest I’d ever run before than half marathon was 10km which I did once, the previous weekend. Only did it at all as a mate of mine wanted to lose weight and have a target race.

I’ve since started to enjoy running, especially the 5-10km distances but the itch to beat this time remains high!

Comment

Knocked a minute off my poolbeg park run, down to 22.15 now. Would like to get that one into the 21s. Going in relaxed and with a plan has really helped me. Fitness has to be improving too.

Turns out Lazard’s go slower for longer for 6 weeks has worked a charm!

Comment

God, got my Strava 'these are your stats for the year' email - abysmal year in terms of volume! 254km outdoor runs in total, with 30 parkruns part of that total (150km, so only just over 100km otherwise, jaysus). My Achilles injury and the impact of the second year of fatherhood really did a number on my ability to get the miles in.

Despite starting the year with my one-and-only recorded sub-20 5k, I've gotten slower and slower and haven't broke 21 minutes in the past four months I think. 2020 needs to be different!

Comment

I’ve done 52k this month, all slow and steady, I’m aiming for 100km for the next month. Unfortunately I haven’t lost my ferocious appetite for food and a few extra booze sessions this last month means I’m still hauling around on average 96kg up and down the roads. A couple of times I’ve got to 93kgs and have felt myself run easier but tis tough to keep it there . Food love> Running love. A friend of mine runs for the Civil Service RC and hit under 18mins for his 5k and taunts(light heartedly) me about my slow times these days, I offered him 20kg of kettlebell and said , run with this and see how far you get mr. Skeletor.

The thing is whilst I want to run faster, but I don’t really want to lose that much weight , as that gaunt look is not a good one imo. Belly is more toned though which is a big plus.

Is there a weight for pace calc anywhere that should show how fast you should be based off how heavy you are?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        God, got my Strava 'these are your stats for the year' email - abysmal year in terms of volume! 254km outdoor runs in total, with 30 parkruns part of that total (150km, so only just over 100km otherwise, jaysus). My Achilles injury and the impact of the second year of fatherhood really did a number on my ability to get the miles in.

Despite starting the year with my one-and-only recorded sub-20 5k, I've gotten slower and slower and haven't broke 21 minutes in the past four months I think. 2020 needs to be different!
                                                                                        I ran 89km in all of 2018, so I said I’d do 100km in January. I’m now at 470km for the year and can’t possibly imagine not trying to get 3x10kms in before the end. I can’t break 21mins either, but it’s certainly a goal for the year.

Comment

I’ve done 52k this month, all slow and steady, I’m aiming for 100km for the next month. Unfortunately I haven’t lost my ferocious appetite for food and a few extra booze sessions this last month means I’m still hauling around on average 96kg up and down the roads. A couple of times I’ve got to 93kgs and have felt myself run easier but tis tough to keep it there . Food love> Running love. A friend of mine runs for the Civil Service RC and hit under 18mins for his 5k and taunts(light heartedly) me about my slow times these days, I offered him 20kg of kettlebell and said , run with this and see how far you get mr. Skeletor.

The thing is whilst I want to run faster, but I don’t really want to lose that much weight , as that gaunt look is not a good one imo. Belly is more toned though which is a big plus.

Is there a weight for pace calc anywhere that should show how fast you should be based off how heavy you are?
                                                                                          I’m not sure a weight one would work but a BMI one Might? If you look at strava after a run you’ll see the calories burned, compare that to your dinner and you see how paltry the impact is!

Comment

Have had a crappy couple of weeks with sickness but a bit of a down month is not too bad really. Had a really good year, should finish it on approx 2030km, an increase of over 700km on last year.

Sub 20 at the distance and at parkrun was the goal starting out. Achieved it at races but am 26 secs outside it at parkrun. Doubt it possible now but no biggie, delighted regardless, 1 min improvement at the distance and 2 min improvement at parkrun.

Gonna begin a base phase soon until roughly the end of Feb with a view to getting up to around 50 mpw then begin half marathon training for a mid summer race. Then it's transitioning to marathon. Getting a garmin HR strap of Santy so looking forward to training with it.

Well done everyone else and good luck with all your goals.

Comment

I've been talked into signing up for a half marathon in the middle of April so I guess I'll probably need to get a good training schedule together early in the new year.

Comment

Have had a crappy couple of weeks with sickness but a bit of a down month is not too bad really. Had a really good year, should finish it on approx 2030km, an increase of over 700km on last year.

Sub 20 at the distance and at parkrun was the goal starting out. Achieved it at races but am 26 secs outside it at parkrun. Doubt it possible now but no biggie, delighted regardless, 1 min improvement at the distance and 2 min improvement at parkrun.

Gonna begin a base phase soon until roughly the end of Feb with a view to getting up to around 50 mpw then begin half marathon training for a mid summer race. Then it's transitioning to marathon. Getting a garmin HR strap of Santy so looking forward to training with it.

That’s some going Laz, 2030km is great.

What’s your goals for 2020? Might be a good idea for people to stick their targets up in the next few days.

Comment

That’s some going Laz, 2030km is great.

What’s your goals for 2020? Might be a good idea for people to stick their targets up in the next few days.
                                                                                                  I'm really not sure yet. Will get a better handle on goal times after a couple of weeks of the training but will be something like a 92 min half and a 3:25 marathon.

Main goal though is to get accustomed to higher mileage. The gains will just naturally come then.

Comment

Haven't gotten out once since this post due to sickness, and not gonna risk running until new years day at the earliest.

Total for the year then, 2015 km over 255 runs.

Gutted about the last week and all the running opportunities missed but happy overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      2019 targets.
                                                                                                      1. 730K (2K a day average).
                                                                                                      2. 24:00 5K.
                                                                                                      3. More 10Ks, some 12Ks and one 15K.
                                                                                                      4. do some 'sprinting' for variety purposes.
                                                                                                      5. Continue to lose the belly.
                                                                                                      Mixed.
                                                                                                      1. I was never more than 5 or 6 days behind this. 5K tomorrow, weather permitting, for exactly 730K.
                                                                                                      2. Poor, never even came close to my previous best of 25:08, let alone any improvement. Low 26m was the best, and beating 27m was a challenge in the latter half of the year. Over all the various distances I run I was around 20 seconds per km slower.
                                                                                                      3. Did a few 12Ks, they are long. Didn't ever feel in the right frame to try 15K.
                                                                                                      4. Never got around to sprinting.
                                                                                                      5. Static.

Kind of a nothing year, so targets remain much the same.

2020 targets.
                                                                                                      730K total again.
                                                                                                      Go in the right direction timewise. 25.00 for 5K.
                                                                                                      Definitely try a 15K this year.
                                                                                                      Some sprint sessions in summer.
                                                                                                      Better diet, more sleep, drop some dress sizes.

Comment

Fair play AJ, weren't you injured for a while also? Wouldnt be too harsh on yourself.

Just on the weather permitting 5k tomorrow. I'd do it regardless as it will have you bang on target. I know it would bug the hell out of me if I had to look at 725 after targeting 730. I'd actually probably run 6k just to tell myself I beat the target lol.

Just my 2c anyway, GL

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          Mixed.
                                                                                                          1. I was never more than 5 or 6 days behind this. 5K tomorrow, weather permitting, for exactly 730K.
                                                                                                          2. Poor, never even came close to my previous best of 25:08, let alone any improvement. Low 26m was the best, and beating 27m was a challenge in the latter half of the year. Over all the various distances I run I was around 20 seconds per km slower.
                                                                                                          3. Did a few 12Ks, they are long. Didn't ever feel in the right frame to try 15K.
                                                                                                          4. Never got around to sprinting.
                                                                                                          5. Static.

Kind of a nothing year, so targets remain much the same.

2020 targets.
                                                                                                          730K total again.
                                                                                                          Go in the right direction timewise. 25.00 for 5K.
                                                                                                          Definitely try a 15K this year.
                                                                                                          Some sprint sessions in summer.
                                                                                                          Better diet, more sleep, drop some dress sizes.
                                                                                                          Nice report. I'm going to steal that 730k goal (might round it up to 750 for OCD's sake) as the 2k per day thing seems like a nice target.

As I mentioned I have signed up to a half marathon in April so will have to do a lot of running in the first quarter of the year but will probably replace it with the cycling for the most part once the weather starts to get better and the evenings start to stretch.

I'll probably be adding to/changing this on reflection, but delighted to be in a position to have targets like this a year on from tipping the scales at 87kg at 5'7 this time last year.

Code:
                                                                                                          750km run (~2k per day)
                                                                                                          adare 10k
                                                                                                          great limerick 10k
                                                                                                          connemarathon 21k
                                                                                                          25 min 5k
                                                                                                          20 parkruns by eoy 

2000km cycling (~40k per week)
                                                                                                          westportif
                                                                                                          ring of beara
                                                                                                          ring of kerry
                                                                                                          ring of clare/tour de burren
                                                                                                          bad craic hill pb

triathlon
                                                                                                          one sprint
                                                                                                          one olympic

60 books

kick cigarettes
                                                                                                          reduce booze intake

see 68.xx on scale
                                                                                                          get back into good sleep routine
                                                                                                          Last edited by Keane; 31-12-19, 11:14.

Comment

Bad Craic Hill is a rotten hill called Woodcock in Cratloe just out the road from where I live in Limerick that I used to train for some of the big sportives last year. That target is just to encourage me to take it on a good few times again next year.

I could probably do with adding in a swimming goal. Maybe build up to whatever the Ironman distance is in the pool.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Keane; 31-12-19, 00:21.

Comment

Just back from my 104th run for the year and ticked of another 1,000Km goal.

It's been a tough year with no shower at work meaning no running to work or at work, only home (thankfully that all changes with a new job on Jan 2).

So i was virtually always behind and playing catch up which several colds/bugs etc.. making for several weeks were i got no running in at all causing more of a backlog.

I did manage four half marathons but am still getting slower and weight stays the same.

New goal of 1,000km for 2020 starts tomorrow. Will probably target another 4 halfs and if I could just care enough to cut out sugar and lose a stone that would be great too.

Some overseas runs will give me more variety this year starting with Almere and Groningen in the Netherlands in a couple of weeks.

Good luck hitting those targets in 2020!

Comment

Really like your goals Keane; the sleep one is very relevant for me. Haven't come up with a plan of action in this regard but kicking coffee is step one. If that doesn't have enough impact step two will be reverting from laptop to bedtime reading but I'll aim to work on this transition from early Jan too.

In terms of exercise goals for me, I'm keeping it simple:
                                                                                                                • Complete 50 mile ultra run Aug 1st
                                                                                                                • Dedicate more time to maintenance; stretching, foam rolling & beginner yoga classes/youtube
                                                                                                                • Join a club; one of boxing, kickboxing, yoga or athletics

Comment

Goals for 2020 .
                                                                                                                  1 Get back to playing Squash and using running to aid my fitness.. biggest prob old cartridge injury .

2 . To increase my enjoyment of Running . Not quite getting the old high yet

3 . Ignore mileage totals until Dec 2020 and then smile or frown.

Glad I started back . 3/4 5Ks a week suits me fine

Comment

Bit of a disaster for me today; Jan 1 the only day off the year to get in two parkruns on the same date, have done so the previous two years (and got my 19.54 PB on my first run this day last year!)

Was all set for two runs and was really looking forward to it, got to Cabinteely parkrun at 9am, slightly late so no time for warm up or stretches. Have arrived late at many parkruns in the past, ran and suffered no problems, so wasn't concerned.

Did my first 1k in 4.03, going quite well, then BAM, felt a sharp burn in left calf muscle at the top of the big hill (need to do it three times in Cabinteely) around 1.3k in, pain was constant and had to linik around the rest of the 5k. Finished in 43 mins in the end!

Think it is only a bad muscle strain, so not a worry compared to Achilles I guess, but I'm limping so badly couldn't risk the second parkrun of the day. Argh. Hopefully will be back running soon!

Comment

Ah shit Paul.

I'd guess it was just the lack of a warm up, you just overloaded the calf. I'd doubt you've done any damage. Let it recover over a few days.

Deffo deffo warm up, it's so important.

Comment

First run of the year today to clear the hangover. A slow and steady 5k, per Lazares advice to concentrate on running slower for longer I'm going to try and hit 10k for the first time ever this year, 8k was all I've previously managed and that was once and a massive push.

I can feel myself slowing down on the soccer team, reactions ain't what they used to be, teams seem to be getting younger and faster and injuries are taking a toll so I'm going to concentrate more on running and will just knock the soccer on the head once GAA starts again. Can get away with lack of fitness more in the gaa.

That said, I'm going to aim for 750km this year with a bonus target of 1000km but I dont think I'll reach that.

Might enter a race at some point if I feel confident enough as I've never ran one.

For now it's just get generally fitter, lose the belly (again) and hopefully keep it off this time.

Best of luck to everyone else this year.

Comment

Target for 2019
                                                                                                                          Run 300km
                                                                                                                          Run 3 races and 8 park runs
                                                                                                                          Beat 20:30 in 5km and beat 45mins in 10km.
                                                                                                                          Ran 480km
                                                                                                                          Ran 1 race if you don’t include park runs (on Dec 26th)
                                                                                                                          Got to 21.12 and down to 48:54 on 10km.

Target for 2020
                                                                                                                          Run 600km - 50km/month
                                                                                                                          Run 4 races, one of which should be a 10km
                                                                                                                          Run two different park runs
                                                                                                                          Run one race/park run with an IPB’r.
                                                                                                                          5km sub 20:30
                                                                                                                          10km sub 45mins
                                                                                                                          Bonus: run a half marathon to beat the 2:42:xx time comfortably!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X