Irish General Election betting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish General Election betting thread

General Elections are fast moving events, driven by spin, 24 hour news cycles, bloopers, zingers and the odd bit of serious policy discussion.
    As such, they are great mediums for gambling. This thread is for discussion of the upcoming Irish GE and all gambling-related shenanigans.

I have long been of the opinion that the PP odds makers on the politics book don't know their arses from their elbows. We've had some great scores off them down the years in the BBV - the Cowen to lead FF into the 2011 GE book was fantastic (they gave 9/2 the field after Garglegate, it was 1/3 by the end of the day ), plenty of people also scooped in the FF under 20 seats market and V had a notable score on Simon Harris in the Wicklow market. The gay marriage market also saw them slip up considerably.

All in all, great potential and this thread is for discussion of same. We can also devise prop bets here - shano is sitting on a 4/1 bet I gave him for SF to be < 20 seats.

My major piece of advice for those considering piling into a politics market is "do it in a shop". The counter staff are unbelievably lax about taking a chunky bet whereas you will struggle to get €50 on online.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

PP markets 20-Sept

Looking here, we have the various markets. Obviously lots more will become available when the election date is known.

Comment

I have one plea for this thread - let's not get ideological.

We are here to win money.

Comment

Timing of the election

Interesting one this. I've been inundated with canvassers the last two weeks - and most of them are from the government parties. What does that tell us?

Yet PP are still favouring 2016 for the election.

We can definitively rule out Sep-15 and Dec-15. Jan-16 also strikes me as insane time to call an election. I also don't think Kenny could contemplate going past Mar-16 as you have the unquantifiable impact of the Easter Rising commemoration

So we have:
        • Oct-15 (22/1)
        • Nov-15 (15/8)
        • Feb-16 (5/4)
        • Mar-16 (6/5)
        • Apr-16 or later (16/1)

The budget is due 13th of October. I am having a small bet on October, in the hope that Kenny reckons the current government recovery in the polls, plus the inevitable bounce from a relatively generous budget would give him reason enough to to go to the country in the last week of October.

I don't think I am likely to win but it's closer to a 8/1 shot than a 22/1 shot IMO.

Thoughts.

Comment

Party seats

Current lines by PP:

FG = 53.5
          FF = 31.5
          SF = 25.5
          LAB = 12.5
          Green = 1.5
          'Others' = 33.5

Given that PP go 5/6 over\under generally - this thread is an ideal place for those with strong opinions either way to strike prop bets.

I want to back the FF unders personally. Think FG are about right for today's market.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Ah Raoul - hadn't noticed the last line where you are interested in unders on FF? Evens at a hundo? I'll cheer on the old people going out to vote to protect the young from themselves, and you cheer on the emergent sensible classes who would heartily welcome a whack-a-FF-mole game at a hipster playground?
                Booked, €100 evens at 31.5

you ova, me unda

Comment

Comment

Next Election

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Interesting one this. I've been inundated with canvassers the last two weeks - and most of them are from the government parties. What does that tell us?

We can definitively rule out Sep-15 and Dec-15. Jan-16 also strikes me as insane time to call an election. I also don't think Kenny could contemplate going past Mar-16 as you have the unquantifiable impact of the Easter Rising commemoration

So we have:
                    • Oct-15 (22/1)
                    • Nov-15 (15/8)
                    • Feb-16 (5/4)
                    • Mar-16 (6/5)
                    • Apr-16 or later (16/1)

The budget is due 13th of October. I am having a small bet on October, in the hope that Kenny reckons the current government recovery in the polls, plus the inevitable bounce from a relatively generous budget would give him reason enough to to go to the country in the last week of October.

I don't think I am likely to win but it's closer to a 8/1 shot than a 22/1 shot IMO.

Thoughts.
                    I think the after April is a nice bet, very rare that they will run the same time as a budget as people wont see the good out of the budget till late January.
                    More than likely its Feb or March but 16/1 is juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                      I think the after April is a nice bet, very rare that they will run the same time as a budget as people wont see the good out of the budget till late January.
                      Don't see it myself - I think they would be concerned by the possibility of SF misappropriating the Easter Rising centenary.

To be fair to SF, that's exactly what I would try to do if I was them.

Comment

Now all we have to wait for is:

Comment

So we have:
                          • Oct-15 (22/1)
                          • Nov-15 (15/8)
                          • Feb-16 (5/4)
                          • Mar-16 (6/5)
                          • Apr-16 or later (16/1)

Thoughts.
                          October being 22/1 and November being 15/8 is mad Ted
                          November being so short has to be basically on your logic

Same month a bit tight though?

Pre-xmas would really piss on the "sur we were great back in the day" chips of FF and the Shinners
                          Last edited by Guest; 20-09-15, 20:53.

Comment

I have emailed PP to see will they throw up lines on:
                            • Renua
                            • the new leftie alliance (whatever they are calling themselves)

I think there is scope for mispricing in both, let's see what they come back with.
                            Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 20-09-15, 21:14.

Comment

What are peoples thoughts on next gov? The figures really do point to FF/FG which would have been unthinkable for so long. I know it's the bookies favourite but I don't really see any viable alternative?

FG/Lab won't have enough seats, FG won't go into gov with SF surely, FF/SF won't have enough seats plus I don't think it'd happen, and a bunch of independents with FG isn't likely either.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                What are peoples thoughts on next gov? The figures really do point to FF/FG which would have been unthinkable for so long. I know it's the bookies favourite but I don't really see any viable alternative?

FG/Lab won't have enough seats, FG won't go into gov with SF surely, FF/SF won't have enough seats plus I don't think it'd happen, and a bunch of independents with FG isn't likely either.
                                TINA baby

If Enda doesn't go down this road, he's off his trolley.

Comment

One thing to be aware of is that the next Dail will be smaller - 158 seats vs the current 166

And the constituency maps have changed quite a bit. Link here.

Comment

TINA baby

If Enda doesn't go down this road, he's off his trolley.
                                    If FG went in with FF, who would get more fucked long term?

FG could crush FF's like FF have done to so many parties in the past but

FF's hard nose could claim every good thing and break the government early?

Would be good TV if/when it happens, like two spoilt little bastards fighting for mammy's attention
                                    Last edited by Guest; 20-09-15, 21:34.

Comment

One thing to be aware of is that the next Dail will be smaller - 158 seats vs the current 166

And the constituency maps have changed quite a bit. Link here.
                                      I see the reformed Sligo-Leitrim constituency now has parts of Cavan and Donegal as well. That's a bit odd.

Comment

I wouldn't write off FG/Lab that easily. Not rushing to back it at 10/3 but I think they could get the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                          I wouldn't write off FG/Lab that easily. Not rushing to back it at 10/3 but I think they could get the seats.
                                          Not impossible, but I'd be surprised if they aren't around 10 seats short..

Comment

Comment

Can I mirror any action Hitch takes with you? He seems to operate more within the realms of reality with these things
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                Can I mirror any action Hitch takes with you? He seems to operate more within the realms of reality with these things
                                                Sure. €100 booked FF seats at 31.5.

You ova, me unda.

Comment

I see the reformed Sligo-Leitrim constituency now has parts of Cavan and Donegal as well. That's a bit odd.
                                                  Problem is the constitution which recommends a consistent one TD per so many citizens (25,000?) overall, clashing with the Electoral Boundaries Act which recommends using county boundaries where possible. Clearly impossible to do both these things so you end up with constituencies which are 97% composed of one or more complete counties and then have these little addons from others.
                                                  These little 'enclaves' then turn into electoral wastelands because no resident of them has any possibility of being elected, and no-one from the larger geographical area is bothered about looking for votes there either as you don't want to alienate your own base by giving presents to people from another county.

Should really have abandoned the county names & concept completely in constituencies long ago as it would have made it more palatable to change boundaries every few years. (and Electoral Region NW1A has a sexy ring to it imo)
                                                  Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 21-09-15, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                    I've been backing that for a while now, you could get 7-1 up to a a couple of months ago.

FG polling in the high 20's, soft budget to come, I would expect a little "shy Tory" factor as well.

If they are over 30% at election time and the rest of the vote is splintered with more small parties and Indo's than ever before, FG will get a huge seat bonus.

They got over 2 seats per 1st pref percentage last time, (average should be 1.66) and a similar bonus this time could see them hit mid 60's in seat numbers and give the Gov a very real chance.

T

Comment

I see yer a ff man with yer watching news on the telly
                                                      May I refer you to the thread rules:

I have one plea for this thread - let's not get ideological.

We are here to win money.
                                                      So if you could keep your slander to the BBV, that would be super

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                        Problem is the constitution which recommends a consistent one TD per so many citizens (25,000?) overall, clashing with the Electoral Boundaries Act which recommends using county boundaries where possible. Clearly impossible to do both these things so you end up with constituencies which are 97% composed of one or more complete counties and then have these little addons from others.
                                                        These little 'enclaves' then turn into electoral wastelands because no resident of them has any possibility of being elected, and no-one from the larger geographical area is bothered about looking for votes there either as you don't want to alienate your own base by giving presents to people from another county.

Should really have abandoned the county names & concept completely in constituencies long ago as it would have made it more palatable to change boundaries every few years. (and Electoral Region NW1A has a sexy ring to it imo)
                                                        Worse than that, as is, for years Sligo town and close outskirts (too small to call them burbs) would vote Labour in pretty decent numbers & the Leitrim vote would crush that

SO forget the enclaves, main town in region struggles to get in who it wants unless they are FG/FF

Comment

The outcome of this election will be all about where the Labour line falls.

Next Government will either be FG LAB or FG FF LAB I think FG FF is unlikely on its own seeing as how FG LAB will be campaigning together and having Joan in there will give Edna more ways to screw Mickey Martin and the soldiers of destiny out of existence in the long run.

So far then the only market I'm interested in at the moment is Labour being in the next government.

They really could end up anywhere from 8 to 28, new boundaries and retirements of safe seats like Quinn and Jack Wall are making the 12.5 line a very unattractive betting prospect even though I think its possible they could defy expectations and smash it.
                                                          If I was to punt on it the spread rather than the line would be the way to go.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

PP giving most markets and by looks of it best prices BUT lest we forget valoo:

SP FG/FF/Lab 14/1 at present; opposition benches would be some ghost town if that happened!

Comment

The SF seat numbers are the most unpredictable IMO

They have a relatively small core vote but have been attracting a lot of the floating/dissatisfied vote though this may be waning a bit now as the election gets closer.

On a really good day they could hit 20% + and with transfers from Indo's and small left wing groups be looking at seat no's in the mid thirties, on a bad day a 1st % in the low teens spread over ~45 candidates could result in a major neg. seat bonus and leave them with ~ 15 seats.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                                                                well done, 16\1 all gone and now 13\2

Comment

I think there's little to no chance of FF being in coalition. Can't see past FG/Lab/Indos.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    I think there's little to no chance of FF being in coalition. Can't see past FG/Lab/Indos.
                                                                    which Indos though?

I think if they need 5 extras, then yes

If they need 15, forget about it

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                      PP giving most markets and by looks of it best prices BUT lest we forget valoo:

SP FG/FF/Lab 14/1 at present; opposition benches would be some ghost town if that happened!
                                                                      If you are getting involved in those markets you'd want to be reading the small print very carefully.

Would bringing in one or two independents invalidate a FG / LAB or a FG LAB Any other party bet?

Comment

FF might prefer a Tallaght Strategy type approach to support a minority FG/LAB Government where they can pull the plug or put pressure on the Gov on any issue, rather than be tied in to an administration where they would be a minority party and risk being eaten up by FG in the future.

Comment

Comment

Thats a good question. Presumably it wouldn't as long as they weren't part of a formal party, or otherwise that betting option - FG/Lab/Inds - would have been provided. What if they bring in Social Democrats, Renua though?
                                                                            Currently not recognised as parties by PP! Grouped under 'Others' and sometimes known as 'Independents'.

Comment

#39
                                                                              SF are 20-1 with PP to be the 4th largest party in the next Dail.

They won't be 1st or 2nd, and while they look likely at the moment to finish ahead of Labour, their trajectory is downwards while Labour may be recovering slightly.

It wouldn't take a huge swing to bring them near enough level, Labour's voting pact with FG may help them hold on in a few places and SF traditionally don't do as well on the day as the polls suggest.

I think it should be more like 10-1 than 20 anyway.

Comment

#40
                                                                                IPSOS MRBI poll out today:

Fine Gael: 28%(-)
                                                                                Fianna Fáil: 20%(-)
                                                                                Sinn Féin: 19%(-2)
                                                                                Labour: 8%(+1)
                                                                                Independents/Others: 25%(+1)

The ‘Others’
                                                                                AAA-PBP: 3%
                                                                                Independent Alliance: 3%
                                                                                RENUA: 2%
                                                                                Greens: 1%
                                                                                SocDems: 1%
                                                                                Others: 1%

AAA- PBP is polling 10% in Dublin
                                                                                SF largest party in Dublin

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Current lines by PP:

FG = 53.5
                                                                                  FF = 31.5
                                                                                  SF = 25.5
                                                                                  LAB = 12.5
                                                                                  Green = 1.5
                                                                                  'Others' = 33.5
                                                                                  not much change 8 days later:

FG = 54.5 (+1)
                                                                                  FF = 31.5 (nc)
                                                                                  SF = 25.5 (nc)
                                                                                  LAB = 11.5 (-1)
                                                                                  Green = 1.5 (nc)
                                                                                  'Others' = 33.5 (nc)

Comment

#42

So we have:
                                                                                    • Oct-15 (22/1)
                                                                                    • Nov-15 (15/8)
                                                                                    • Feb-16 (5/4)
                                                                                    • Mar-16 (6/5)
                                                                                    • Apr-16 or later (16/1)

Thoughts.
                                                                                    My Oct tip clearly gone by the wayside.

Nov 4/5 this morning, having been 4/1 last night. Looking like a post-Budget blitzkrieg campaign.

Comment

#43

Nov 4/5 this morning, having been 4/1 last night. Looking like a post-Budget blitzkrieg campaign.
                                                                                      Happy days. Pre Christmas would be just fine by me !!

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                        Happy days. Pre Christmas would be just fine by me !!
                                                                                        Ivan Yates was claiming 20-Nov this morning.

I think it's a sensible tactical choice myself. Budget 13-Oct with a bit of moniez disbursed to all and sundry, then dissolve the Dail 1 or 2 weeks later. Newsflow will be carefully managed through that time.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          ...

Comment

#46

Nov now gone 8\15.

Get ready to rumble

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Nov now gone 8\15.

Get ready to rumble
                                                                                              Ah you know much it takes to move that market. Fionnan Sheahan probably did it because he had a space to fill.

Was talking to someone two weeks ago from a prominent gov dept who much to my surprise was adamant there was to be a Nov election, met them again the other day and they conceded it was to be next year.

Comment

#48

FG = 54.5 (+1)
                                                                                                FF = 31.5 (nc)
                                                                                                SF = 25.5 (nc)
                                                                                                LAB = 11.5 (-1)
                                                                                                Green = 1.5 (nc)
                                                                                                'Others' = 33.5 (nc)

@ RDIII Do you think the Labour line is getting close to value?

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Nov now gone 8\15.

Get ready to rumble
                                                                                                  November now 1\3.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                    @ RDIII Do you think the Labour line is getting close to value?
                                                                                                    I don't know. What does meltdown look like?

FF experienced it and lost 57\76. Based on that ratio, it looks about right.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Ah you know much it takes to move that market. Fionnan Sheahan probably did it because he had a space to fill.
                                                                                                      This.

November might make sense for them and I'm sure it is an option that will remain open until the last minute but as of now I very much doubt that there has been a decision made.

1/3 is a lay, in fact the more it shortens until the moment they stop taking bets the more of a lay it is.

Its not like FF are in power and there are a troop of gombeens who will be running out to PP to get a monkey on at 1/3 the minute Edna gives them the nod
                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-10-15, 11:22.

Comment

#52

FG = 54.5 (+1)
                                                                                                        FF = 31.5 (nc)
                                                                                                        SF = 25.5 (nc)
                                                                                                        LAB = 11.5 (-1)
                                                                                                        Green = 1.5 (nc)
                                                                                                        'Others' = 33.5 (nc)
                                                                                                        FG line edges up to 55.5

It was 49.5 not so long ago.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          ...

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I don't know. What does meltdown look like?

FF experienced it and lost 57\76. Based on that ratio, it looks about right.
                                                                                                            Yes but FF were a toxic brand that even the most faithful of supporters were almost embarrassed to admit they voted for. Every passing day heaped more bad news on them with no possibility of being able to put forward any redeeming quality to the electorate.

Labour could count themselves a little unfortunate to lose 2/3 of their seats considering the raft of good economic data being released. The pact with FG might be enough to get them over the line in a few tight spots.

I'll take over 11.5 for a € 100

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              ...

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                ...

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  ...

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    I'll take the unders, if your happy with that? (Bearing in mind the post just posted above!)
                                                                                                                    Booked Hitch.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      ...

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Dude!

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        " / "
                                                                                                                        G\FY IMO

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X